PDA

View Full Version : I can understand why the UK students are mad

Solice
10-12-10, 07:53
The bankers and politicians created this mess, now they demand that poor students, eating ramen noodles and living in small apartments, pay the bankers' bonuses.

The world is going insane.:mad:

And I'm glad they gave Prince Charming a bit of a fright.

jaywalker
10-12-10, 09:07
I UNDERSTAND the students having a proper protest at Government and Parliament about the changes, but the moment they smash up regent street (since when was that parliament!) and attack ANY person in a car (irrelevant if royals in it or not) then they are no longer protesting but breaking the law for the sake of it.. NOTHING excuses it and people condoning THIS action are supporting mindless violence and thugish behaviour, making the students REAL protest totally lost and losing any support fast, congrats!!

Ampersand
10-12-10, 10:37
I can understand why UK students are mad, but I can't understand how your every errant thought somehow warrants its own thread.

scoopy_loopy
10-12-10, 10:57
I can understand why UK students are mad, but I can't understand how your every errant thought somehow warrants its own thread.

Thank-you!

Nerd For Life
10-12-10, 10:59

You missed the memo? EVERYTHING warrants its own thread how dare you.

Reggie
10-12-10, 11:11
I UNDERSTAND the students having a proper protest at Government and Parliament about the changes, but the moment they smash up regent street (since when was that parliament!) and attack ANY person in a car (irrelevant if royals in it or not) then they are no longer protesting but breaking the law for the sake of it.. NOTHING excuses it and people condoning THIS action are supporting mindless violence and thugish behaviour, making the students REAL protest totally lost and losing any support fast, congrats!!

I agree. There are a group of people right now who will not consider anything but violence and revolution. I've seen it for myself and as someone who aspires to balance, this is just the worst. Both the Lib Dems and those who are responsible for this violence are being destructive right now, just in different ways. Its very sad.

lita212
10-12-10, 11:16
there a bunch of idiots if ya ask me. i hope the snow just falls on them.
they dont even have to pay anything unless there earning over 21,000 and i think thats hardly unlikely. half of them will be sat at home eating pot noodles. while the others will be stocking shelves.
if there earning over 21,000 then they should ****ing pay because there earning it. they cant get everything free in this world.
everyone else has to pay things back and so should they. they want the education so therefore they should pay if there earning that much.
there just greedy

jackali
10-12-10, 11:32
^ I do get your point with that... but the fact is that they're going to come out with something like 50,000 of debt. A lot of graduates start earning something around the 23,000 mark or higher in some graduate schemes. It's not a nice prospect to know you've got 50,000 of debt just for three years of education which might get you 2-5,000 more a year than someone without a degree. It makes the degree seem not worth it.

jaywalker
10-12-10, 11:41
but its not like you earn 20k pay nothing, get payrise to 21k and suddenly get a bill for your entire loan.. you just START paying back a % of it, and the % are based on how much you earn, so starting rate is pretty low, and as you earn more you pay more..

As always facts are being misrepresented or flatly ignored in some cases. Not ALL unis will increase their rates to 9k but everyones making the sums based on worse case only.. i BET you when people actually go thru the uni system based on these updates and comes out the end of it they will NOT be as bad as the doomsayers are decreeing!

Mad Tony
10-12-10, 12:26
The bankers and politicians created this mess, now they demand that poor students, eating ramen noodles and living in small apartments, pay the bankers' bonuses.

The world is going insane.:mad:

And I'm glad they gave Prince Charming a bit of a fright.I don't think you quite understand the situation.

This "mess" (the debt crisis) which requires tuition fees go up was the fault of the previous government. The new government have come in and are trying to cut this huge deficit and I must admit they're doing a pretty good job. They're doing what needs to be done and have not backed down despite all the negative press.

What the new government are demanding is that students pay higher tuition fees. Newsflash - higher tuition fees are not banker's bonuses.

Also, attacking Prince Charles' car when he has nothing to do with it is pathetic. It's bad enough attacking politicians who are involved.

Reggie
10-12-10, 12:50
I don't think you quite understand the situation.

This "mess" (the debt crisis) which requires tuition fees go up was the fault of the previous government. The new government have come in and are trying to cut this huge deficit and I must admit they're doing a pretty good job. They're doing what needs to be done and have not backed down despite all the negative press.

What the new government are demanding is that students pay higher tuition fees. Newsflash - higher tuition fees are not banker's bonuses.

Also, attacking Prince Charles' car when he has nothing to do with it is pathetic. It's bad enough attacking politicians who are involved.
The mess was triggered by a global crisis, the previous government is responsible for how difficult it will be for us to get out of it - the current government is responsible for ensuring they get us out of this with as little damage to society as possible - which is where I see the responsibility of the Lib Dems as vital.

True about higher tuition fees =/= banker's bonuses. The two issues are seperate and should be dealt with in two seperate debates. Trying to run them together just creates division and jealousy without actually helping anything.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you about attacking Charles' and Camilla's car. Camilla looked terrified and what I saw was a frightened lady like anyone would be when they're placed in such a situation. It sickens me as much as when they staged a hanging of a Nick Clegg effigy saying he must die. Its horrible.

Mad Tony
10-12-10, 12:54
The mess was triggered by a global crisis, the previous government is responsible for how difficult it will be for us to get out of it.The thing is though, Brown was a ridiculously bad chancellor and we were running up huge debts before the economy started to tank.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you about attacking Charles' and Camilla's car. Camilla looked terrified and what I saw was a frightened lady like anyone would be when they're placed in such a situation. It sickens me as much as when they staged a hanging of a Nick Clegg effigy saying he must die. Its horrible.If they weren't part of the royal family I expect everyone would condemn it, but since they are they just find it funny. Pretty pathetic really, and I'm not even a huge fan of the royal family.

They hung an effigy of Nick Clegg? How sad. Typical anarchist behavior.

Reggie
10-12-10, 13:00
The thing is though, Brown was a ridiculously bad chancellor and we were running up huge debts before the economy started to tank.

If they weren't part of the royal family I expect everyone would condemn it, but since they are they just find it funny. Pretty pathetic really, and I'm not even a huge fan of the royal family.

They hung an effigy of Nick Clegg? How sad. Typical anarchist behavior.
Can't argue with that. Brown was delusional and him becoming party leader was political suicide for the party once the financial timebomb went off.

Yeah, some just see the attacks and mock hanging and such as 'sticking it to the establishment', I see it as childish behaviour of the worst kind.

Dennis's Mom
10-12-10, 13:19

Thank-you!

*shrugs* I would rather read someone's errant thought than someone else's calculated rudeness. http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/13.gif

It's certainly sticker shock. I can understand why their upset. Rioting is never an appropriate response however. It's like throwing a giant tantrum.

xXhayleyroxXx
10-12-10, 13:32
I feel sorry for Charles & Camilla. Bless them, they were trying to wave at the mob :o

TRLegendLuver
10-12-10, 14:46
Discussion already in this thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=176169). :wve: