PDA

View Full Version : Which game to play first?

Arthemida
12-12-10, 12:13
Well, as I said in the title of this thread, I have a dilemma,and I need some advice on this. I played two classic TR games already and now I wanna experience tomb raiding that Crystal Dynamic has made. So,cut to the point- for a better experience in gameplay,more fun and better insight to the story,which one should I play first? Legend or Anniversary? AND WHY?:-D

Spong
12-12-10, 12:14
Anni.

[/thread] :ohn:

SkyPuppy
12-12-10, 12:15
Anniversary.

Arthemida
12-12-10, 12:22
Anni.

[/thread] :ohn:
Thanks
PS:Is there something wrong with my thread?

Spong
12-12-10, 12:25
PS:Is there something wrong with my thread?

LOL, no, there's nothing wrong with your thread. I was kinda joking about how I think there's no competition between Legend & Anni. Anni wins by a million miles (IMO) ;)

jackles
12-12-10, 12:28
As the others have said Anniversary wins hands down.

marla_biggs
12-12-10, 12:28
You'll have more fun with Legend. Go with that. Plus it'd be best to start off at the beginning of the Crystal trilogy.

Arthemida
12-12-10, 12:29
LOL, no, there's nothing wrong with your thread. I was kinda joking about how I think there's no competition between Legend & Anni. Anni wins by a million miles (IMO) ;)
Oh,ok. You worried me there for a sec. I thought I posted my thread in the wrong place,'cause I'm a beginner here and don't know all the rules yet.:D
But,why should I play Anni first?

Spong
12-12-10, 12:33
But,why should I play Anni first?

It's a remake of the original Tomb Raider (although I personally don't think it's a great remake). It's a heck of a lot longer than Legend. It has better gameplay than Legend. It's technically the starting point of the story that carries on in Legend and concludes in Underworld. It's more fun (don't listen to marla_biggs :p), and feels more like a Tomb Raider game than Legend could ever dream of.

Obviously that's just my opinion though :)

Mystery-King
12-12-10, 12:35
I say do it in CD trilogy chornoligical order. Do it Anni - Legend - Underworld. Then you'll get one big (plothole filled) story!

Everyone is saying Anni because it did everything that Legend did just better in everyway. :)

Arthemida
12-12-10, 12:36
It's a remake of the original Tomb Raider (although I personally don't think it's a great remake). It's a heck of a lot longer than Legend. It has better gameplay than Legend. It's technically the starting point of the story that carries on in Legend and concludes in Underworld. It's more fun (don't listen to marla_biggs :p), has better gameplay, and feels more like a Tomb Raider game then Legend could even dream to be.

Obviously that's just my opinion though :)
Thanks for elaborating on that. :D

Legend of Lara
12-12-10, 12:51
Stay away from Underworld. Legend was just an unresolved cliffhanger. Yes.

Dennis's Mom
12-12-10, 13:07
I say do them in the order they were released. There's a progression in gameplay.

cezy rockeru
12-12-10, 13:08
Anni:ohn:
FTW

peeves
12-12-10, 13:40
Anniversary FTW. Legend is just terrible.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
12-12-10, 13:57
If you do the best one (Anniversary) first, then you'll have nothing to look forward to.

Eddie Haskell
12-12-10, 14:09
I say play Legend. Experience their first "epic" before you move on to their other abysmal titles.

LNSNHGTDS
12-12-10, 14:27
I suggest you play either Legend or Anniversary, Underworld wasn't really good imo :D .

cezy rockeru
12-12-10, 15:44
I suggest you play either Legend or Anniversary, Underworld wasn't really good imo :D .

I think all 3 were almost the same,only with different graphics and stories

Underworld2008
12-12-10, 15:56
If I was you, I'd play it like this

Anni ---> Legend ---> Underworld

Because technically Anni is before Legend, so it makes sense :)

TheRCroft
12-12-10, 16:14
I suggest you to play Legend first, if you want to experience the really big progression between Legend and Anniversary. Anniversary was, undoubtedly, the best Tomb Raider CD made IMO, since it's a remake of a classic. You'll see a big increase of the difficulty, more challenges, the lenght of Anniversary is way bigger than the Legend one. But, if you want to follow the story, Anniversary is the one you have to play first.

jackles
12-12-10, 16:26
I suggest you to play Legend first, if you want to experience the really big progression between Legend and Anniversary. Anniversary was, undoubtedly, the best Tomb Raider CD made IMO, since it's a remake of a classic. You'll see a big increase of the difficulty, more challenges, the lenght of Anniversary is way bigger than the Legend one. But, if you want to follow the story, Anniversary is the one you have to play first.

But if I had played Legend first my expectations would have been rather crushed! :cln:

TheRCroft
12-12-10, 16:46
But if I had played Legend first my expectations would have been rather crushed! :cln:

I think it's the opposite. Anniversary was way better than Legend, in everything IMO. But, if you don't mind to answer, why would your expectations be crushed if you had played Legend in the first place?

LNSNHGTDS
12-12-10, 17:11
I think all 3 were almost the same,only with different graphics and stories

Legend & Anniversary were almost identical but Underworld had a difference, I think it was that difference that caused my dissatisfaction over the game.

jackles
12-12-10, 17:13
I don't mind answering. I hated the long long bike rides, I found the game too short and uninvolving. I just didn't care enough about Lara. So if I had played that game first I would have found it uninspiring. I may still have plodded on with it but I wouldn't have been such a great fan.

I think I was fortunate to play TR1 back in the day and see it as totally absorbing and loved the sense of you/Lara against the world. I still want that sense of 'oooooooooh' when you hear the howl of the wolves and the crunch of your boots on the snow. :)

TheRCroft
12-12-10, 17:27
I don't mind answering. I hated the long long bike rides, I found the game too short and uninvolving. I just didn't care enough about Lara. So if I had played that game first I would have found it uninspiring. I may still have plodded on with it but I wouldn't have been such a great fan.

I think I was fortunate to play TR1 back in the day and see it as totally absorbing and loved the sense of you/Lara against the world. I still want that sense of 'oooooooooh' when you hear the howl of the wolves and the crunch of your boots on the snow. :)

That's a different point of view, and an interesting one. I said that she should play Legend first to see the huge difference between it and Anniversary, whereas you say that she shouldn't because she could have lost the interest on the CD games, which is a great point. Legend was everything you said.

And if I felt an incredible feeling when I watched the walkthroughs, including the aspects you mentioned, I can't even imagine how it must be playing it. I hope to play all the classics one day, but I dunno if I will feel the same if I had follow all the series from the beggining :o

larson n natla
12-12-10, 17:49
I'd say

Anniversary - Legend - Underworld

Not to sure why legend is getting all the hate, I thought it was a solid game with excellent gameplay.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-12-10, 17:51
I'd say

Anniversary - Legend - Underworld

Not to sure why legend is getting all the hate, I thought it was a solid game with excellent gameplay.

I second this :p
And I love legend ^_^

TheRCroft
12-12-10, 18:05
I second this :p
And I love legend ^_^

That was exactly the reason why I hated Legend. Yeah, it sounds weird :p
I started Legend and I really loved everything, and that's because of that, of my passion for the game, that my expectations crushed in the exact moment the game finished. I was expecting more, much more, it was very short, that's why I don't like it xD

StefanJ94
12-12-10, 18:09
That was exactly the reason why I hated Legend. Yeah, it sounds weird :p
I started Legend and I really loved everything, and that's because of that, of my passion for the game, that my expectations crushed in the exact moment the game finished. I was expecting more, much more, it was very short, that's why I don't like it xD
same D:
when the game ended I was like:
-That's it?????? :confused:
*turns off PC and goes out*

[EDIT] I also wanted to do more killing with Excalibur :(

RogueShadow
13-12-10, 06:31
If you want to get the full story in order do anniversary/legend/underworld.

The best one out of the trilogy though is Anniversary imo. All three games were fun but Legend's levels seemed too compressed for a tomb raider game given it a less "exploratory" feel. Also Legend was way too short. Underworld was awesome as far as the wider levels for exploration and the best graphics in scenery and stuff but the camera was terrible and there were way too many glitches. Anniversary was the best imo because it had the tomb raider feel down packed. It was a perfect blend of length, great puzzles, and the one out of the three that had the best old school/new school "tomb raidery" feel to it. lol. So what I'm getting at is if you play any, play anniversary.

Mikky
13-12-10, 06:36
I would go for TRL myself (it's just pure awesomeness :D), but if you want a longer, more "Tomb Raider-y" experience, go for TRA. :)

cezy rockeru
13-12-10, 07:40
I loved that Anni didn't have any vehicle:D

Arthemida
13-12-10, 09:23
If you want to get the full story in order do anniversary/legend/underworld.

The best one out of the trilogy though is Anniversary imo. All three games were fun but Legend's levels seemed too compressed for a tomb raider game given it a less "exploratory" feel. Also Legend was way too short. Underworld was awesome as far as the wider levels for exploration and the best graphics in scenery and stuff but the camera was terrible and there were way too many glitches. Anniversary was the best imo because it had the tomb raider feel down packed. It was a perfect blend of length, great puzzles, and the one out of the three that had the best old school/new school "tomb raidery" feel to it. lol. So what I'm getting at is if you play any, play anniversary.

Thank you very much. Your explanation is very helpful.:hug:

Dark Lugia 2
13-12-10, 10:50
I disagree with those asaying you have to play anniversary first. I think you should play them like this:
Legend -> Anniversary -> Underworld

You can follow the story perfectly fine like this. It would be a bad idea to go from anniversary to legend because legend is much easier. The games will get harder as you progress and you can see how better Crystal Dynamics got at making a TR game and stunning locations.

I think all 3 are generic and oh-so-linear but if you want to play them then great!
Btw dont listen to those saying Legend was a bad game. It got great reviews and its a good game :) Some fans just think its too different and easier than the classics. But thats kind of obvious due to the different developers and it was CD's first try. :p

Arthemida
13-12-10, 11:18
I disagree with those asaying you have to play anniversary first. I think you should play them like this:
Legend -> Anniversary -> Underworld

You can follow the story perfectly fine like this. It would be a bad idea to go from anniversary to legend because legend is much easier. The games will get harder as you progress and you can see how better Crystal Dynamics got at making a TR game and stunning locations.

I think all 3 are generic and oh-so-linear but if you want to play them then great!
Btw dont listen to those saying Legend was a bad game. It got great reviews and its a good game :) Some fans just think its too different and easier than the classics. But thats kind of obvious due to the different developers and it was CD's first try. :p

I look at it like this: if you are a true TR fan you're gonna like the games with both good and bad sides. But everyone has a right to express their personal opinion. I do not have high expectations ( I don't want the risk of being disappointed),like some had before they played the games, I just wanted a more objective opinion on the matter,so that it helps me have a better experience with CD's tomb raiding. Now, I'm more concerned will I have a better insight of the complete story if I play the games in particular order?

Dennis's Mom
13-12-10, 12:52
Not really. Anniversary--while technically before in the timeline---merely inserts a few lines to make it appear to connect to the Legend arc.

I find backwards gameplay to be most frustrating, and you will lose abilities if you go "back" to Legend after Anniversary. Legend is the most simple game, almost totally scripted. After having better exploration and abilities in TRA (and TRU) I think you will be more frustrated with Legend and its straight-pipe design.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
13-12-10, 12:56
I don't understand why this has turned into a comparison of which games are better... By most measures Anniversary is a better game, but that doesn't mean you should play it first. That'd be like eating the best Christmas cookie first... What is there to look forward to after that?

moodydog
13-12-10, 13:10
for fun TRL...
for the better experience TRA...

ozzman
13-12-10, 16:26
both are good, but Anniversary is Amazing, expecialy on 360, Legend is great aswell

King.Louie
13-12-10, 16:51
Anni :D

RogueShadow
13-12-10, 17:12
Thank you very much. Your explanation is very helpful.:hug:

No problem! :D

Beans-Bot
13-12-10, 17:53
They're both crap. :pi:

But if you insist (:p), I guess Anni. Sure, it has that ridiculous adrenaline dodge thing which causes really repetitive "boss fights", but at least it has more of an overall TR feel to it. :o

Arthemida
13-12-10, 18:41
They're both crap. :pi:

But if you insist (:p), I guess Anni. Sure, it has that ridiculous adrenaline dodge thing which causes really repetitive "boss fights", but at least it has more of an overall TR feel to it. :o

So, because you're saying that both games are "crap", does that mean that I should not play them at all?:tea:

TheRCroft
13-12-10, 19:32
same D:
when the game ended I was like:
-That's it?????? :confused:
*turns off PC and goes out*

[EDIT] I also wanted to do more killing with Excalibur :(

Exactly my thoughts :p

Yeah, maybe we could have used it at all the boss battles! Oh sorry there was only one -.-

StefanJ94
13-12-10, 19:37
Exactly my thoughts :p

Yeah, maybe we could have used it at all the boss battles! Oh sorry there was only one -.-
Well, maybe not in all boss battles but one more wouldn't hurt :o
Also I wanted to kill mercenaries with it, it's fun :p

TheRCroft
13-12-10, 19:41
Well, maybe not in all boss battles but one more wouldn't hurt :o
Also I wanted to kill mercenaries with it, it's fun :p

It is indeed :cln: THOR'S HAMMAH FTW!

Arthemida
15-12-10, 20:37
Well, thank you guys for helping me with my decision,you gave me a lot to think about.;)
So,after all your advices I decided to go with this order : Anniversary-Legend-Underworld. I know a lot of you won't agree :rolleyes: but, my argument is that I realised that I care about the continuation of the story more than the progression in the gameplay. So thank you all again and wish me fun with playing with our adorable Lara.:wve:

TheRCroft
15-12-10, 20:49
Well, thank you guys for helping me with my decision,you gave me a lot to think about.;)
So,after all your advices I decided to go with this order : Anniversary-Legend-Underworld. I know a lot of you won't agree :rolleyes: but, my argument is that I realised that I care about the continuation of the story more than the progression in the gameplay. So thank you all again and wish me fun with playing with our adorable Lara.:wve:

I think you made a great choice if the progression of story is what interests you the most :tmb: Good luck, Anniversary is definitely more challenging than the other two, but I'm sure you'll have fun play them :D