PDA

View Full Version : Essay Help ?

Laras Boyfr.
13-12-10, 17:17
Hi people:)

Ive a project in school in literature.The theme is Greek mythology.
At first I need to write an essay about the relationship of ancient mythology and modern literature. I searched a lot but havent found any reference.
Is there anyone who could help me :o

Mikky
13-12-10, 17:23
Play Tomb Raider, of course! :D :ton:

I recommend Wikipedia. :tmb:

xXhayleyroxXx
13-12-10, 17:25
Play Tomb Raider, of course! :D :ton:

I recommend Wikipedia. :tmb:

Wikipedia should never be used as an official reference -- you should only use it to maybe back up a point.

Laras Boyfr.
13-12-10, 17:27
Wikipedia should never be used as an official reference -- you should only use it to maybe back up a point.

yup ;)
anyway there wasnt any article about my theme:o

Legend of Lara
13-12-10, 17:36
Greek mythology, YOU SAY?

http://i54.************/2cenuqt.jpg

And I'm serious. This game is like a modern retelling of a lot of old Greek stuff.

Laras Boyfr.
13-12-10, 17:49
lol just need some references from the web if its possible:o
btw. i dont have a ps2:p

LNSNHGTDS
13-12-10, 17:53
I'm Greek :p maybe I can help, and whatever you do NEVER trust Hollywood movies for Greek mythology xD .

So, is there a specific myth you would like to write about or something?

Laras Boyfr.
13-12-10, 17:59
I'm Greek :p maybe I can help, and whatever you do NEVER trust Hollywood movies for Greek mythology xD .

So, is there a specific myth you would like to write about or something?

not really:o
as I said I need to write an essay about the Modern Literature comparing it to the ancient greek mythology, by saying importand points, etc:)

Avalon SARL
13-12-10, 17:59
I write, but a actually the topic you are writing about, though interesting, but I find it so damn hard :yik: :p

If you just can give a little better description of your topic, maybe I can find you anything :p

LNSNHGTDS
13-12-10, 18:02
not really:o
as I said I need to write an essay about the Modern Literature comparing it to the ancient greek mythology, by saying importand points, etc:)

Oh, then I'm not really sure I can help :o ... So sorry, I wish you the best of luck with your project :) .

Sgt BOMBULOUS
13-12-10, 18:08

Although most educators seem to be on a crusade against the accuracy of wikipedia, more studies (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2010-06-02/health/ct-talk-wikipedia-accuracy-0603-20100602_1_physician-data-query-trust-wikipedia-clinical-oncology) show that the entries there are just as accurate as something you'd find on an "official" encyclopedia.

lara c. fan
13-12-10, 18:09

The references at the bottom should be good, though.

Laras Boyfr.
13-12-10, 18:13
I need to write about any aspects of the ancient greek mythology which affects the modern literature. That means to mention any form or part of some myth or mythology in general by comparing it with the modern literature.
So I need to get some references at least and maybe I could write the essay by my self:)
I doubt I can explain it better:o

Avalon SARL
13-12-10, 18:23
I see.
I recommend you go visit a local library or something because the Internet may not have enough information about this...
ut israther complex.

but I will look for something into my library.
I may have something related.
dont know.
Just hold on :)

Avalon SARL
13-12-10, 18:32
EDIT:

Okay...
I have this book :D
Dont know if it is any help :p

Here, you can read its description :)
http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Companion-Mythology-Companions-Literature/dp/0521607264

A unique resource, 'The Cambridge Companion to Greek Mythology' is essential reading for understanding not only Greek myth, but also its enormous impact on art, architecture, literature, politics and philosophy across the ages. More than a compendium of isolated facts, 'The Cambridge Companion to Greek Mythology' is thoughtfully composed by a team of international experts who highlight important themes in three sections. The first part examines oral and written Greek mythology and the uses of these myths from the epic poetry of the eighth century BC to the mythographic catalogs of the early centuries AD. The second section looks at the relationship between ancient Greek myth and Greek culture and investigates the Roman appropriation of the Greek mythic tradition. Section three follows the reception of Greek myth from the Middle Ages to modernity, taking in such factors as feminist scholarship, cinema and literature. Important for its reach and breadth, its integrated approach and its up-to-date treatment, 'The Cambridge Companion to Greek Mythology' is fundamental for anyone seeking a broader understanding of the myths and their influence on western tradition.

I don't know how much time you have before you hand out your assignment, maybe I can scan few pages for you.
I have never ever read it totally... just read few pages then put it back :p

But still, maybe we can decide exactly what you want...
Hope you have sometime

Lara's Nemesis
13-12-10, 18:36
This page from Wiki might help, it lists some authors who have been influenced by Greek mythology.

"In more recent times, classical themes have been reinterpreted by such major dramatists as Jean Anouilh, Jean Cocteau, and Jean Giraudoux in France, Eugene O'Neill in America, and T. S. Eliot in England and by great novelists such as the Irish James Joyce and the French André Gide. Richard Strauss, Jacques Offenbach and many others have set Greek mythological themes to music."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_mythology_in_western_art_and_literature

Laras Boyfr.
13-12-10, 18:44
thank you I think i could find something there:)

@ Avalon SARL: Oh that would be great :D
I need to give this essay on wednesday of next week (22.12.2010):D

Avalon SARL
13-12-10, 19:09
Okay...

I will take the book tomorrow to the office and give it to the secretary to scan it
I will upload it and send it to you by email it if you like
Just hope it is scanned well and it will definitely exhaust her :vlol:
:p
OK :D