PDA

View Full Version : Names

Nausinous
17-12-10, 14:47
I'm having a discussion with a friend over names and how we have them chosen for us by our parents, I've recently changed my name because I felt I wanted a name I preferred. My topic for discussion is what is your view on having your name chosen by your parents?

ultima espio
17-12-10, 14:52
I think it's easier, I mean I wouldn't know what to change my name to. :/

igonge
17-12-10, 14:52
I feel that your parents giving you your name at birth is the first step in establishing your identity as a living person.

I dislike my name but I wouldn't have a clue what to change it to :p

jarekhanzelka
17-12-10, 14:54
I'm perfectly fine with it...especially since I was named after my father, and there's no way I'd be interested in changing that.

xXhayleyroxXx
17-12-10, 14:56
I agree with igonge. I love the name my parents gave me -- and also I;m quite proud I was named after my gran -- the most inspirational person in my life. (middle name)

sandygrimm
17-12-10, 15:01
I think they deserve to name their children as they want. They earn it after , they raise you, take care of you, and for a lot, kids are named after other family members to be remember and carry on their memories. :)
I was named after either a singer of a romance novel writer, popular name back than.
If I were born first and not my brother I would of been named Diana.. after the Greek godless :D, and I have been thinking of changing it to that officially, but after 22 years... I think I grew into my name. :p

Wouldn't you like to name your kid as you want to? :)

larafan25
17-12-10, 15:02
I like my name, it makes me feel individual in some way, I'd change my name depending on what it was.:)

Ikas90
17-12-10, 15:21
I'm happy with my name, and I don't feel the need to change it. It's a part of me and it's who I am. It's my name. It's what I'm used to.

When I was a little kid I wanted to change it though. That was out of immaturity and nothing else.

Nausinous
17-12-10, 15:22
Sounds like a fair few of have rather personal reasons behind your names. As far as I'm aware, my parents didn't have a personal reason for choosing my name and I figured it's my identity so why not?

cezy rockeru
17-12-10, 16:27
I don't love my name,but I'm ok with it.
Cezar sounds pretty good.

robbie_rawr
17-12-10, 16:30
I haaate my name it makes me think of a fat bald guy when I hear it :|
I would probably change it if I could.

JACOBryanBURNS
17-12-10, 16:34
I think it's a little arrogant to change your whole name for no other reason that you feel like it. You're their child... they brought you into this world and raised you. Just seems disrespectful. I know I'd be offended.

Catapharact
17-12-10, 16:39
Don't see a problem with it. You always have the option of legally changing to another if you like. Having said that, a strong name does leaves a desired psy effect on people.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Does-your-name-give-you-a-strong-personality

My name literally means "The bringer of doom/apocalypse." Yeah you can't get anymore stronger then that Lol!

Squibbly
17-12-10, 16:43
I think it's a little arrogant to change your whole name for no other reason that you feel like it. You're their child... they brought you into this world and raised you. Just seems disrespectful. I know I'd be offended.

Yeah, I think I feel the same. I can see it if you had terrible parents, or if you're a boy and your name is Princess Trisha or something like that, but otherwise I don't see a real reason to have your name legally changed.

I don't have the nicest (or most original) of names, but I guess it suits me and my parents liked it. I wouldn't change it.

JACOBryanBURNS
17-12-10, 16:46
I'm an openly gay person named after a drunk from the bible. Couldn't have ASKED for a better name. :tmb:

I wasn't always thrilled with my name but the irony was too delicious not to love after a while.

Underworld2008
17-12-10, 16:58
My name is Tom! I like it, theres other things I would change than my name xD

Nausinous
17-12-10, 17:05

Yeah, I think I feel the same. I can see it if you had terrible parents, or if you're a boy and your name is Princess Trisha or something like that, but otherwise I don't see a real reason to have your name legally changed.

I don't have the nicest (or most original) of names, but I guess it suits me and my parents liked it. I wouldn't change it.

@ Jacob. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's arrogant, I have my personal reasons and like Squibbly said it's understandable if you had terrible parents.

JACOBryanBURNS
17-12-10, 17:12
Of course everybody will have their reasons, but if, like you say, your parents are so awful, shouldn't you have bigger problems to deal with than the name people call you? Just my thoughts. To each his own.

ShadyCroft
17-12-10, 17:14
I'm happy with my name. Sure, I would like to have been give a more unique name, but hey, am ok with it.. :)

And as for the topic, I agree with parents naming their child as they like, and Im also with letting the child change it to his desire when he becomes aware of it.

Chocola teapot
17-12-10, 17:17
I like my name...

But it's been one of the most common ones for the past 10 years... :L

lara c. fan
Well... We need something to go by until we are old enough to choose our own name, if you want to see it that way.

I'm perfectly fine with my name, though. I just need to find out why the hell my middle name is what it is. I know nobody by that name. :p

cezy rockeru
I like my name...

But it's been one of the most common ones for the past 10 years... :L

Jack da' reaper:vlol:

Nausinous
Of course everybody will have their reasons, but if, like you say, your parents are so awful, shouldn't you have bigger problems to deal with than the name people call you? Just my thoughts. To each his own.

I'd like to clarify that I'm not entering into an argument simply discussing your perspective on this because I find it interesting. I don't live with my parents nor do I speak to them so there aren't bigger problems to deal with. However, I feel that it is my identity and if I can make choices such as clothes, jobs, hobbies, foods, opinions that form who I am as an individual then why can't I chose my name? It's just an extension of my identity, somebody chose it for me at birth without consulting me (Not that they really could of), I'm smart enough now however to chose my own name. I don't believe it denies my parents of everything they did in raising me, my previous name that they chose in no way corresponds with how or what they did to raise me. A name is simply a way of identifying an individual.

JACOBryanBURNS
17-12-10, 17:22
Nausinous to JACOBryanBURNS:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/jacobryanburns/Barbisms/10.jpg

I didn't mean to press your buttons. Just my own personal thoughts which are clearly in conflict with your own. Sorry! :hug:

Nausinous
17-12-10, 17:26
Nausinous to JACOBryanBURNS:

I didn't mean to press your buttons. Just my own personal thoughts which are clearly in conflict with your own. Sorry! :hug:

No need to apologise, I was in no way offended. Your opinion is your own. I'm not a person who gets mad because a person has an opinion, it's your view, it's not fact and it's up to me how I chose to let if affect me. Chill :hug:

StefanJ94
17-12-10, 17:46
I like my name and I also like the fact that no one in my family has it. Makes me feel unique :D

Dennis's Mom
17-12-10, 17:48
I wish my name were more unique. "Lisa" was an intensely popular name in the early sixties. There were six officers on my high school dance team; three of us were named Lisa. I was called by my last name for years.

I have known adults who changed their names. I think, if your name bothers you that much, change it. Just don't expect to be a different person. "A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet," and all that.

I am against naming children "joke" names or spelling normal names creatively. I think it's cruel to force a child to constantly have to explain his own name.

LNSNHGTDS
17-12-10, 18:10
I love my name, but I'd have prefered to have chosen my name on my own. In Greece it's a tradition to be named after our grandparents, stupid if you ask me, but anyway. My name's George, but I'd like my name to be either John or Alex, but I still like the one I have now, those three are three of the most popular male names in Greece but I like 'em, I bet if I had an unpopular name everyone would make fan of me! (No offence to anyone that has an unpopular/ anusual/ unique name.

aidanmalone
17-12-10, 18:46
My name isnt that often used (Aidan) and tends to confuse people :p
They tend to settle for Adam or Adrian but i love my name :)

Your_Envy*
17-12-10, 21:44
My name is anything but unique but I really like it. :D Short and simple and I would probably pick it by myself too. I also love the meaning of it. I don't ever want to change it. :cln:

And if you don't know, my name is Ana. :p

amaris
17-12-10, 21:48
I'm pretty ok with my name, when I was little I wanted to change it, but it grew on me. XD

Avalon SARL
17-12-10, 22:08
Good caring parents are a blessing
And naming their child is one means of expressing their love and care to him; that is why it is wise for parents to chose pretty names;
And I like the name I have been given :hug:

trXD
17-12-10, 22:16
I love the name Joseph :D

I very much regret that people have called me 'Joe' my entire life, too late to change that now :(

CerebralAssassin
17-12-10, 22:37
I love it.I love the name my parents gave me...I'd never disrespect my parents by changing my name:)

Crisl
17-12-10, 23:06
When I was a kid I used to hate my name. Now I'm finally starting to accept it. It's just part of who I am and I don't think I could ever change it, even though there are many better names than mine :)
I even worry about changing my surname once I get married! :vlol: