PDA

View Full Version : Senate passes the repeal of "Don't ask Don't tell."

Catapharact
19-12-10, 00:01
A step in the right direction IMO.

Don't Ask Don't Tell repeal.

Source http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/12/18/5674065-dont-ask-dont-tell-repeal-how-they-voted-

Last week, when the Senate failed to move forward on a bill that would have phased out the Donít Ask Donít Tell policy, it looked like the end of the road for advocates of repeal.

But on Saturday, a GOP filibuster of the legislation was broken by a wider-than-anticipated margin, with six Republicans joining 57 Democrats to push forward a bill to end the ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in the U.S. military.

Backers of the repeal pulled off a last-minute legislative maneuver to separate the repeal from a larger Defense Authorization bill, which contained other controversial items that drew GOP criticism. That standalone bill passed the House last week and won the approval of GOP holdouts in the Senate who had objected to Democratsí handling of debate over the defense funding measure.

Ultimately, Republican Sens. Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine, Scott Brown of Massachusetts, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, George Voinovich of Ohio, and Mark Kirk of Illinois voted for repeal.

TRfan23
19-12-10, 00:18
Yay now less lying (One covering up their own homosexuality) in the US Army :)

scoopy_loopy
19-12-10, 01:31
This makes things so much less complicated. :tmb: I agree with it being a step in a good direction.

Beans-Bot
19-12-10, 02:30
:yah: So the Senate and House aren't as useless as they seem to be. This is a huge step in the right direction for the LGBT community, and as someone said earlier, this isn't the end of the legal fight but the beginning. We must keep the pressure on. It may not be marriage or adoption that comes under scrutiny next, but now is the perfect time to bring more issues to the legal limelight.

Suck it, bigots. :ohn:

TippingWater
19-12-10, 02:45
Awesomesauce!

egypt_gypsie
19-12-10, 03:02
That totally made my day :)

Def. a step in the right direction. :tmb:

AmericanAssassin
19-12-10, 07:52
:tmb:

Andyroo
19-12-10, 08:01
Good :tmb:

Squibbly
19-12-10, 08:03
Excellent! :D

Underworld2008
19-12-10, 10:09
great news :D

IceColdLaraCroft
19-12-10, 14:36
YAY! Now I can be a military wife :)

remote91
19-12-10, 14:51
Progress!

EmeraldFields
19-12-10, 15:36
This is great, but now we need to get rid of the DOMA. http://i.imgur.com/rO3TJ.gif

Lemmie
19-12-10, 16:27
Good stuff! :tmb:

DgoOdz94
19-12-10, 16:29
Wait! The Senate and the House of Reps. agreeed on something!?!?!??! WHUT?!?!?!

On topic: This is definitely some great news!! :D

Nerd For Life
19-12-10, 16:44
Well done!

Chocola teapot
19-12-10, 16:46
Fantabulous.

<3

:D

ShadyCroft
19-12-10, 17:04
great news! :tmb: and I agree! a step in the right direction. Its time BS like not allowing gay veterans to serve to be removed.

Beans-Bot
19-12-10, 17:49
This is great, but now we need to get rid of the DOMA. http://i.imgur.com/rO3TJ.gif

Oh, I guarantee the "they can fight and die for our country and yet they come back with less equal rights" argument will be used, and probably successfully. Similar arguments have been used in other civil rights cases in the past. I sense a whirlwind of legal issues concerning the LGBT community being discussed. :cln:

Lizard of Oz
19-12-10, 20:22
Happiest news this year. I've been going to a lot of rallies and gatherings. Now, we are going to celebrate in front of Senator Kirk's office in a big thank you for supporting the repeal :)
Hopefully this will create a ripple for other gay rights movements.

I won't stop the fight until we reach FULL equality, we celebrate now but continue the fight tomorrow
:):):)

Big Matt
20-12-10, 01:56
"Don't ask don't tell" probably didn't accomplish much of anything. I do believe it is a bad idea to mix military personnel with genders that they are attracted to, which presents a problem where homosexual personnel are concerned. In keeping with this I think it's also a bad idea to allow male and female personnel to serve together. Whatever the orientation, it is my opinion that romance or even the potential for such a distraction, has no place on the battlefield or in the midst of war. The dynamic between comrades or "brothers in arms" is much different than the one between lovers and potential lovers.

Imagine if the men who stormed the beaches of Normandy in WWII had to do so with their wives and girlfriends, or even the girls that they had crushes on, running along beside them. These guys charged selflessly, heroically into the wall of death that the Nazis threw at them so that their loved ones -- even their crushes -- back home could remain safe. I think if their lovers had been on the battlefield with them, priorities would have shifted from "winning at all costs" (even death) to getting their loved ones out of that "Hell on earth" -- even if doing so meant turning back and endangering such a crucial operation as D-Day.

I have no doubt that my own focus and concentration in such a situation would be severely diminished. In fact, every man I know would be damn near incapable of doing everything necessary to be a successful warrior and soldier if the person he was in love with or even attracted to was right there with him taking the same risks and facing the same dangers.

Granted, people serving alongside members of the gender they're attracted to doesn't automatically mean everyone will be falling in love with one another but, the potential for soldiers to become romantically involved with each other is very real and is greatly magnified. It is a risk that is unacceptable in my opinion.

As much as I am against men and women serving together, at least some measure of separation can be implemented to keep soldiers (at least if they are heterosexual) away from those that they might form attractions with. Despite the strict practices implemented by the U.S. military to discourage romantic and sexual relationships between male and female personnel, they are often unsuccessful. They would be even less successful where homosexual personnel are concerned because they could not be separated from the gender they are attracted to.

Is it unfair? Yes. Is it necessary? I believe so. No doubt some would see this viewpoint as both sexist and homophobic (not that I care). It's not a matter of prejudice or what's fair. It is a matter of implementing the most effective means possible to keep the country safe.

Anyway, whether it's a popular viewpoint or not, that's my two cents worth.

larafan25
20-12-10, 02:20
^The idea is there, however the execution is not, it's impossible. If this truly were such a big problem, well, it would be a problem.

There have been men and women, hetero, homo, and bi serving in the military for a while now.

Melonie Tomb Raider
20-12-10, 02:44
The military is extremely dangerous, and many die fighting for our country. The last thing they need to focus on is expressing what sex they are attracted to.

Sure, people shouldn't be forced to keep it a secret, but don't make a big deal out of it, either. The military is supposed to be taken seriously. The more it's not means the more people will die as a result.

MattTR
20-12-10, 04:20
This a great step toward equality, and I'm proud of everyone who made it this far and got through the tough times, it only made us stronger. :tmb:

Now for marriage..

Alpharaider47
20-12-10, 05:46
I'm interested in seeing the effects of this in a few years. While it may be a step towards equality, it might also have some negative effects that nobody's thought about... Only time will tell!

Betcha Lady Gargoyle's ****ing herself with delight right now.

scoopy_loopy
20-12-10, 06:12
The military is extremely dangerous, and many die fighting for our country. The last thing they need to focus on is expressing what sex they are attracted to.

I agree with this part right there. :tmb:

MangelinaJolie
20-12-10, 19:01

Sure, people shouldn't be forced to keep it a secret, but don't make a big deal out of it, either. The military is supposed to be taken seriously. The more it's not means the more people will die as a result.

I see where you're coming from and can agree, but at the same time, people shouldn't have to die knowing they've been hiding who they are. Either direction can be harmful. I can tell you that I wouldn't be able to focus as much if I had to worry constantly about letting my orientation slip. Am I exaggerating that? No, not really. Without this I wouldn't even care to express it. I would simply be more comfortable knowing that if I did, it'd be alright.

CiaKonwerski
20-12-10, 19:05

This is how I feel on the topic as well. I think it is great that this happened, but at the same time I do not see how it is going to be much different. I do not think people in the military would be talking about their sexual orientation anyhow, if that makes sense. It isn't coming out right haha, but basically, I agree with what you said Mel, and I also see your point Mangelina.

Lemmie
20-12-10, 19:47
While no one needs to disclose their sexuality while serving in the military, it would be a relief to know that if it did come to light, you would not be "honourably" discharged.

CiaKonwerski
20-12-10, 19:48
While no one needs to disclose their sexuality while serving in the military, it would be a relief to know that if it did come to light, you would not be "honourably" discharged.

I also agree with that.

Eddie Haskell
20-12-10, 20:16
I spent 20 years in the military. In all of that time, I met and knew many gays who served as honorably and as faithfully as their heterosexual comrades. Believe me when I say this, the repeal of this will not have a measurable effect on the morale or effectiveness of our armed forces. I led a few men who were gay on many dangerous missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. And even though they never told me or anyone else straight out that they were homosexual (I would have had to take action in that case), I (and the men) knew they were. And this fact never made us less of a fighting force or came into play when we were doing anything in the field. They were military men like me, and fought and bled just the same.