PDA

View Full Version : Living like you're about to die in any moment

Liara
19-12-10, 15:38
Okay, bad title, but stay with me.

I was watching this detective series where some characters were tricked into thinking that they were about to die in a few minutes. So after they said their tearful goodbyes and told others what had been on their mind for years, the one who orchestrated the entire thing confessed it was all a trick, and then asked them if they didn't feel more alive, if living like they were about to die wasn't just what everyone needed.

IMO, that was a brilliant idea. Whenever you're in danger your mind tends to try and resolve everything you've been too busy/shy to do, so last minute confessions start to spring all over the place and either bring some much-needed closure or get a heavy stone off your chest. But the problem is that most people just end up going through life wondering "what if" and not doing/saying what they really want or think unless a scenario like that takes place.

So, what's stopping you from saying/doing what you really want? What's keeping you back from telling your family you love or hate them, telling a co-worker that you hate the way he makes the coffee, asking that girl/guy out etc etc?

TL;DR: If you knew you were about to die in a few minutes, what would you do? Who would you talk to and what would you say?

And more importantly: what's stopping you from doing just that right now?

cezy rockeru
19-12-10, 15:40
If I knew,I'd stay calm,kiss a person I like:whi:
Hug my family and tell them I love them...
Write something on TRF.
Watch something on TV,liste to some happy music and..
That would be it..

I think God's love doesn't let me die:D

tonyme
19-12-10, 15:40
That's too depressing to even think about! :eek:

larafan25
19-12-10, 15:41
I think about this everyday.

I know I won't live my life unless I begin to take action, any kind.

I am sitting here right now, hungry, I kind of want some fast food fries. Well...I have no money with me, and I can't drive. However I have a bank account as well as my feet, I can go to my bank and take out money and get it.

However I am lazy.

I would love to overcome this!:)

robwolf666
19-12-10, 15:42
[SIZE="1"]And more importantly: what's stopping you from doing just that right now?

Different reasons for different things...

Chocola teapot
19-12-10, 15:43
Wow.

There are lots of things I'd like to say.

:vlol:

cezy rockeru
19-12-10, 15:47
Wow.

There are lots of things I'd like to say.

:vlol:
I think I'd like to hear them:mis:

Chocola teapot
19-12-10, 15:48
http://i55.************/250o8jq.png

cezy rockeru
19-12-10, 15:50
C'mon,don't be shy Jack:mis:
Noone's listening:whi:

Catapharact
19-12-10, 15:51
So, what's stopping you from saying/doing what you really want? What's keeping you back from telling your family you love or hate them,

My family and loved ones already knows my feelings about them :). As for others:

Simply put, its all about optimization ;). A person never lives up to their full potential unless you give them a reason to do so. In the end, my dying wish would be that everyone I know lives their own lives the best way they can, the most optimized way they can, and as fulfilled by it as they can be. That matters more then some verbal onslaught which usually doesn't means much to most people anyway.

If I can achieve all of that (and I plan on achieving that) I will die a very happy man.

Ikas90
19-12-10, 15:52
When you see death up close, that's when you start appreciating your life to the fullest.

But I try to appreciate mine to the fullest already. I believe that's the mentality we should all have, and that it's what we all should do. Make the most out of ourselves. The purpose of life, is to live a life of purpose.

I'm working on it. I'm travelling. It's my goal, and I won't let much in my way. I could be dead when the world ends in 2012 lol. :p

larafan25
19-12-10, 15:54
We can't stop dreaming, that will ruin our lives, however if you keep dreaming, eventually, to be fulfilled, those dreams need to come true.

Nothing should be to much to ask, if it's in your life's plan, then do it.

Dennis's Mom
19-12-10, 16:02
What a horribly cruel, manipulative thing to do. :cen:

Surely out time here on earth is limited, and we should never take life for granted, but I think tricking people in so devious a manner close to heinous.

As for what I'd say, I've always been fond of Venkman's "See you on the other side, Ray," from Ghostbusters. There's a calm confidence, a curious anticipation I find reassuring. It's an attitude I would hope to have and share.

larafan25
19-12-10, 16:03
^I agree about that attitude, it's nice. It's ready, even when you may not be.

Liara
19-12-10, 16:21
What a horribly cruel, manipulative thing to do. :cen:
Oh it wasn't real, it was just a TV show.

I guess the whole "see you on the other side" bit depends on your faith, mostly. I'm a firm believer of the big nothingness after death, so I'd rather take action now then wait.

Disastercaster
19-12-10, 16:23
I think about this everyday.

I know I won't live my life unless I begin to take action, any kind.

I am sitting here right now, hungry, I kind of want some fast food fries. Well...I have no money with me, and I can't drive. However I have a bank account as well as my feet, I can go to my bank and take out money and get it.

However I am lazy.

I would love to overcome this!:)

Social aniexty disorder, Agoraphobia? Sounds like the only one stopping you is you.

larafan25
19-12-10, 16:23
^Your right.

Oh it wasn't real, it was just a TV show.

I guess the whole "see you on the other side" bit depends on your faith, mostly. I'm a firm believer of the big nothingness after death, so I'd rather take action now then wait.

I believe this too, however how can we imagine it?:confused:

It's so strange. It would be forever, yet it would go by so fast, yet not end.

NRO.
19-12-10, 16:29
I would kill Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers and leak Tomb Raider info. Since I'm getting the death row anyway.

tampi
19-12-10, 17:19
I think that's a premise a bit impossible.
Some people call their loved ones to say goodbye. But humans generally do not see death as possible until it is completamnete almost dead.
Then just time to say. I'm going.

:o

EDIT: Remember that even at the last second, you have to breathe. :p
Certainly: take care. Advices that you would never say,.... etc.
Sincerity.

Cochrane
19-12-10, 18:12
It would depend on the situation, but most likely, I'd try to prevent my impending death, or be paralyzed with fear.

As for why I don't do either right now, the reason is the same for both: Without anything threatening my health or property, I really don't see the point.

The Great Chi
19-12-10, 20:10
I'm sure if you are Living life like you're about to die in any moment, then that will increase the likelyhood of you dying at any moment :p

igonge
19-12-10, 20:22
I'd tell a few people off, land a few punches on haters :p

Legend 4ever
19-12-10, 20:55
I always though that saying was quite morbid to be honest. Live your life the way you want, but not as if you're gonna die tomorrow. Seems a bit extreme.

Encore
19-12-10, 22:54

Your life doesn't solely depend on your own capabilities and predisposition.

Melonie Tomb Raider
19-12-10, 23:11
If I knew I was about to die, I honestly wouldn't change anything apart from letting everyone know I was leaving. :p

digitizedboy
19-12-10, 23:19
I'd quickly take the red pill.

Rai
19-12-10, 23:28
If I only had a few minutes to die? Stay right where I am, at home with my son.

However, why don't I do what I want or say those unsaid things today regardless of time limits? Well, there are things I am doing that I want to do, it's a a matter of time if/when I achieve them and in other cases, money is a factor and if I had anything to say to someone that I really wanted to then what's holding me back isn't gonna change soon. Probably.

Alpharaider47
19-12-10, 23:39
If I knew I was about to die, I'd probably blow all my money right now to travel somewhere, probably with or two someone.

There's a lot I'd say to a few people as well. In a way though, I wouldn't be able to do much more than I do now. I'm forced to wait a few years to have the opportunity to live every day like it's my last :p

CerebralAssassin
20-12-10, 00:23
I'd start drinking heavily if I was about to die in a few hours.

(I know most of you already do that):p

Croft_Original
20-12-10, 12:11
^Coffee?:mis:

Not sure what I'd do/say differently than I already do.:o

Croft.

Miharu
20-12-10, 12:51
I will die a happy man when everyone misses me and grieves for me... :mis:

LOL :vlol:

Nah on a serious note, my dying wish is for everyone to get on with their own lives and not weep for me.

I'm very honest, so when I'm about to die there's gonna be no confessions or at least if I do confess, those confessions will be minor anyway.

Liara
20-12-10, 13:25
I'd start drinking heavily if I was about to die in a few hours.
Hah, well that is definitely something you shouldn't do unless you'd want to die soon. Plus, who'd want to travel to the Underworld sober anyways?

xXhayleyroxXx
20-12-10, 13:58
Having had a few too many near death experiences for someone my age, I do live every minute as my last -- as best I can. Everyone I care for knows how much I love them, because I tell them as often as I can. If we argue, we make up the same day. I try to achieve my goals and ambitions as often, and quickly as I can -- whether it be something big like driving or simply getting an a* on a piece of coursework. Money holds me back from doing everything I would wish to do before I die -- like visiting exotic locations, but if I died tonight I could rest happy knowing the most important thing to me -- family, knew how much I loved them.
Just live as best you can ^_^ x