PDA

View Full Version : The problem I have with the Dream Act

Solice
23-12-10, 02:52
Basically, I think it's a good idea. Although, I thought that even now, if any foreigner serves in the US military they are granted citizenship.

The thing I don't get is; if they go to college they are granted citizenship. :confused: Sorry, but going to college is a privilege, not a sacrifice. I don't understand this mentality at all. I think that kind of insanity is what killed the bill.

If someone wants to be a citizen, they must serve the US in some capacity. The military is one option, but other possibility's include the Peace Corps, or working in a hospital.

If anything, full citizenship should be something earned, not given away at birth. I work with many people from other countries, and they cherish their US citizenship more than most natural born. They waited for years, took tests, learned English, and put up with a lot of BS. They also know what it's like to live under an oppressive government.

Cochrane
23-12-10, 07:05
Going to college certainly does not seem like a sacrifice, but it does actually serve the country. All western countries need highly educated people in science and technology to keep or gain competitive advantages over both other western countries and emerging players, like China.

In fact, and with no disrespect to anyone in the military, I think we need highly educated people more than we need soldiers. Technology companies like Microsoft, Apple and Google are arguably doing more to keep the current US standard of wealth than the war in Afghanistan. But heavy industries like car builders also rely on high tech and people who know how to design, build and use it.

Lizard of Oz
23-12-10, 20:13
I think the DREAM Act would certainly in the Advancement of the country, there are already a lot of people who are capable of being productive professionals and yet nobody knows about them because they are unable to work here legally.

Dennis's Mom
24-12-10, 14:53
Look at it this way: they can't get a job. If you don't let them go to college, what do you think they're going to do? They're not going home because this is their home.

I dealt with this issue every day back when I was a financial aid director. These are smart kids, usually very good kids with a strong work ethic. They were always so grateful for any assistance we could provide to help them go to school, and I don't think many of them squandered the opportunity. They understood it was a privilege.

Most US citizens don't understand what privilege a college education is. They are too immature, have been given too much. Sorry, with fifteen years of experience in student services in two states and six schools, both public and private, I've earned the right to that opinion.

Olvidarse
24-12-10, 20:56
This (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/www.williamperezphd.com/articles/abrego-2006.pdf) is a good read on the subject.

Because their educational and home environments are not differentiated, undocumented youth undergo similar social incorporation processes as their documented peers early on. However, their legal protections end after high school, greatly limiting their chances for upward mobility through education. In some cases, knowledge of future barriers to college attendance leads to a decline in educational motivation.

Uzi master
24-12-10, 21:58
Going to college certainly does not seem like a sacrifice, but it does actually serve the country. All western countries need highly educated people in science and technology to keep or gain competitive advantages over both other western countries and emerging players, like China.

In fact, and with no disrespect to anyone in the military, I think we need highly educated people more than we need soldiers. Technology companies like Microsoft, Apple and Google are arguably doing more to keep the current US standard of wealth than the war in Afghanistan. But heavy industries like car builders also rely on high tech and people who know how to design, build and use it.

I agree,

and besides, why invade other countries with an army when you can blast them with a high-tec space laser:mis::p