PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Watches are dying... Yet I still wear one.

Catapharact
25-12-10, 23:19
This was sent to me today and I have to say its quite an interesting read. It does beg the question though... Are wrist watches a thing of the past? I still keep a few high brand ones and do occasionally wear them. There is no denying their amazing craftsmanship...

The Wrist Watch is dying, yet I still wear one.

Source: http://michaeldundas.com/2010/05/29/the-wrist-watch-is-dying-yet-i-still-wear-one/

I love wrist watches. As a kid I had several, a mix of analog and digital. From about 5 or 6 years of age, I would always be found wearing one of the watches I owned. Even today, I have 3 wrist watches, a military certified one, a Raymond-Weil, and one given to me by a former employer when I left that has their logo on the face. To this day I still keep abreast of the wrist watch market. My watches work fine and yet and I keep toying with the idea of purchasing a Breitling. I have a passion for the design, attention to detail, precision and expertise this company puts into their products. Compared with the typical “get it out the door and fix it later” approach with many of today’s companies, what Breitling promotes is refreshing. While I understand why most technology companies run their businesses with the “out the door” approach and the necessity in today’s market, it makes me feel sad inside.

I just finished watching a Ted presentation by Sir Ken Robinson. It is a informative and entertaining presentation on how the education system of today does not need an evolution. Instead it requires a revolution. Much of what he says parallels what Seth Godin wrote about in Linchpin. One of Ken’s analogies is how our children do not see the point of a wrist watch. A single purpose device that is no longer necessary but people over the age of 25 typically wear a wrist watch simply because we always have. I have to admit, I am well over the age of 25 and I still wear one. I also have a PDA, tweet, blog, and am very current in the latest technology, networks and security. I don’t need a wrist watch. Not only do I still wear one,but I still want a Breitling. Why?

I love their website. It is current and artistic, constantly being updated. It shows you the ‘flashy’ look of their products, yet those wishing to obtain technical details of a specific product can do so easily. It doesn’t send you to a PDF, technical specifications and flashy displays are all integrated into the site design. It is well thought out and well designed. This is important. It tells the viewer that is how they do everything including how they design their wrist watches. The design of the site, shows their personal brand. There are lots of videos of their jet team. You might wonder what a jet team has to do with the wrist watches. My wife joking said “That is why they have to charge so much for their watches.” Just like the design of their website, the videos of the jet team re-enforce the Breitling personal brand. Jet teams flying with accuracy, speed, timing, focus, trust, taking risk. That is how they make their watches, their website, train their jet team, how they view their trade craft. How they do everything.

I want a Breitling watch because I like watches and the attributes of the Breitling brand resonate with me. I feel sad sometimes with the “get it out the door” approach of many companies, because they ignore what I value. Precision, speed, timing, attention to detail, trust are attributes I have valued since I was the age of 6.

So how about you guys? Do you still wear wrist watches? Or have your personal communication devices become your new time keepers?

Apathetic
25-12-10, 23:20
Never have, never will.

robbie_rawr
25-12-10, 23:20
I am actually looking for a wrist watch, but I usually use my ipod for time keeping.

NemesisX13X
25-12-10, 23:23
I thought everyone wears watches.... *facepalm*

I do. :) I just use my phone to check the time when I wake up because I don't have a clock/watch-kind of thing near me to look at. :p

Alpharaider47
25-12-10, 23:24
Always keep my Coleman wrist watch with me when I leave the house :p It's worn and battered, but it still works and I like it. If I could afford one, I'd love to get one of those Doxa dive watches :p

lara c. fan
25-12-10, 23:25
I wear a watch most of the time, but mine broke a bit recently. Doesn't stay clipped. :(

Minty Mouth
25-12-10, 23:29
I used to wear one all the time, but it ran out of battery and I haven't been bothered to go get it changed for about a year now.

So, yeah. I'm going without due to my crippling laziness.

voltz
25-12-10, 23:32
Phones, MP3 players and all sorts of gadgets usually have a clock somewhere, so it's obvious that many folks couldn't be bothered having to wear one these days. The only real reason to keep one now comes either if you must have one (work related or other) or you like having something on your wrist as a bit of a fashion statement. I suppose Rolex brands would still be popular in this area.

oh yeah, tan line not to mention.

jjbennett
25-12-10, 23:32
Always wear my trusty Seiko SKX 007, it's one of the best things i have ever bought. I don't understand why people don't wear one, it just is like wearing trousers to me, it gets put on before i leave my bedroom in the morning everyday :)

EDIT - Totally forgot the second half of my post durr. I love watches, i love the way they are perfectly engineered things for one purpose, simplistic and functional always grabs my attention, preferably with some unique feature as well. There's something very satisfying to me about spending a decent amount on a watch and it still fascinate you after looking at it thousands of times :)

Rai
25-12-10, 23:33
I wear a watch when I need to catch a bus and at work or am limited timewise so I need to keep track, but not at home. If ever I forget to wear a watch I do use my mobile.

larafan25
25-12-10, 23:49
I'll invest in a watch some day, I don't like relying on all those ipods and cellphones for multiple purposes, sometimes they can barely compensate for them.:/

Tony9595
25-12-10, 23:55
I can't live without my watch, I don't like mobile phones so I never carry one and my iPod is always in my pocket so I dont' bother taking it out every time I want to know what time it is.

Also, it's cool when someone asks you the time and you check your watch :p

Alpharaider47
26-12-10, 00:10
I can't live without my watch, I don't like mobile phones so I never carry one and my iPod is always in my pocket so I dont' bother taking it out every time I want to know what time it is.

Also, it's cool when someone asks you the time and you check your watch :p

:vlol: especially if it's one with the 12 hour face or w/e you wanna call it :p Wow I have one and can't think of the name xD But yeah :p

Tony9595
26-12-10, 00:13
Analog watch? Yeah, mine is like that :D

Alpharaider47
26-12-10, 00:17
Analog watch? Yeah, mine is like that :D

That's what I was looking for, thank you :p I can't stand digital watches... it defeats the purpose to me.

Melonie Tomb Raider
26-12-10, 00:19
I used to wear a watch when I was a teenager, but have since stopped. :p

Aphrodite22
26-12-10, 00:30
I thought everyone wears watches.... *facepalm*

I do. :) I just use my phone to check the time when I wake up because I don't have a clock/watch-kind of thing near me to look at. :p

same :confused:

i always wear a wrist watch, cant live without it.. its the most simple and easiest way duh

digitizedboy
26-12-10, 00:32
I used to wear a watch when I was a teenager, but have since stopped. :p

I'm the same as Melonie, I wore a watch last time when I was about 15. Now I don't need to be reminded of the time. :( Time sucks.

robm_2007
26-12-10, 01:13
i used to have a wrist watch, but i would literally check the time every 5 minutes. if i have access to the time then my OCD makes me know what time it is, if even i have nothing planned.

JonnyT
26-12-10, 01:30
I used to wear a watch all the time lol. It had a button on it that gave yes/no/maybe answers on it lol. It was so cool :p It ended up getting dirty and eventually breaking lol.

I use my awesome W810i mobile phone now, or a computer.

Eddie Haskell
26-12-10, 01:43
I have worn a watch since my senior year of high school when I received a beautiful Pulsar timepiece from my grandmother. Since that time I have gone through many, many watches, but a Seiko I purchased around 1985 lasted the longest. Now I have the one in the image below (Steinhausen Aerostat) and I love it. Not anywhere near the quality of my previous watches, but I saw it and had to get it. It's also one of those kinetic ones that winds itself by the movement of your arm.

But sadly in this day and age I wear it mostly because it looks good. Just a big, heavy piece of jewelry more or less.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii298/eddie-haskell/steinhausenaerostat.jpg

Tommy123
26-12-10, 01:48
I have one however i never use it.

I mostly just use my phone to check the time

Andyroo
26-12-10, 02:17
Screw wrist watches, I have a pocket watch and they've been dead since the turn of the 20th century :p

I don't like the feeling of wearing a wrist watch. I haven't used one that was comfortable, and didn't get in the way.

Catapharact
26-12-10, 02:52
Always wear my trusty Seiko SKX 007, it's one of the best things i have ever bought. I don't understand why people don't wear one, it just is like wearing trousers to me, it gets put on before i leave my bedroom in the morning everyday :)

but a Seiko I purchased around 1985 lasted the longest.

Glad to see there are others who appreciate the quality of Seiko watches :D. I currently own a Seiko Arctura Kinetic, and it simply superb. I actually find Seiko watches more pragmatic and aesthetically sound compared to grander brands like Rolex.

EDIT - Totally forgot the second half of my post durr. I love watches, i love the way they are perfectly engineered things for one purpose, simplistic and functional always grabs my attention, preferably with some unique feature as well. There's something very satisfying to me about spending a decent amount on a watch and it still fascinate you after looking at it thousands of times :)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Shark_Blade
26-12-10, 02:54
I have my iPhone, so no need for wrist watch. :wve:
Practicality comes first for me, and not fashion.

EmeraldFields
26-12-10, 02:56
I have never liked the feeling of a wristwatch, so I usually just look at my iPod.

Alpharaider47
26-12-10, 03:31

And when your iPhone dies? :tea:

lunavixen
26-12-10, 04:11
i have 3 watches, but i can't wear two of them, i have a bracelet watch that my grandfather gave me a few days before he died, and i have a watch my great grandmother owned, but i need to have it cleaned, repaired and the battery changed as well as another one, but i don't wear watches because i get a hideous watch tan

Johnnay
26-12-10, 04:18
I have a Hugo Boss Watch which I wear when I go to ceremonies, weddings, e.t.c:)

but besides that nothing else

star-dust
26-12-10, 06:06
I actually don't own a watch because when ever I do have one I seem to ruin it.:o

But my mom and dad both wear watches still...

I used my phone. :ton:

cezy rockeru
26-12-10, 08:42
I have a Honda watch[wtf honda watch:vlol:] but I don't use it often,I use my phone for timing -.-

Liara
26-12-10, 08:55
Just a big, heavy piece of jewelry more or less.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii298/eddie-haskell/steinhausenaerostat.jpg
I suppose in this instance it's a bit better to be a girl. I wear my watch every day to uni and I don't even feel it on my wrist. It's pretty petite, but very useful to me. Checking the cellphone for the time is just not practical, IMO.

ThatNorskChick
26-12-10, 09:22
I used to wear one when I was a kid. I wouldn't wear one now, I hate having stuff that big around my wrists. I use my phone to keep time (and that's pretty much the only thing I use it for :p). It's like a digital pocket watch!

ShadyCroft
26-12-10, 09:39
I dont wear a wrist watch and use a cellphone, but I'd like to buy one of course. :)
so yeah, I dont think they're dying, well not much anyway...I want one and it wont be replaced by anything else...not now anyway.

Your_Envy*
26-12-10, 10:24
I have two but I don't wear them. :o I used to wear my Guess watch all the time but then I stopped, dunno why. :p

lara c. fan
26-12-10, 10:28

Practicality is having something where a quick glance at your wrist can give you the time. More practical then taking something out of your pocket anytime you want to see the time.

digitizedboy
26-12-10, 10:28
I use my awesome W810i mobile phone now, or a computer.

Yeah, I rely on my mobile for the time too.

Your_Envy*
26-12-10, 10:33
Practicality is having something where a quick glance at your wrist can give you the time. More practical then taking something out of your pocket anytime you want to see the time.

That's so true. :D And this happens to me all the time - I want to check the clock, I take the phone, unlock the keyboard, I LOOK at the clock, throw phone into my bag and after few seconds I realize I have no idea what time it is. :vlol: So I have to take it out again. :pi: :tea:

BlueJ97
26-12-10, 10:35
I still wear wrist watches :)

Cochrane
26-12-10, 10:46
Normally, I'd say I still wear one. It is incredibly more practical than getting my phone out all the time, especially in this cold weather, and thanks to DCF77, its time is always correct as well. There is just one problem: I can't find my normal wrist watch, and I hate all the ones I can find, so for a few weeks now I've been going without one.

Ampersand
26-12-10, 10:59
I never go out without a watch. I don't own an iAnything and don't believe in one gadget ruling out the use of others. I have an MP3 player for music, a phone to call and text and a watch to tell the time - I don't want to rely one thing that can do a bit of everything, and be whipping it out wherever I go. There's also an accessorial element of liking the look and feel of wearing a watch, but since none of my watches are flashy or expensive their use is mostly practical.

Squibbly
26-12-10, 11:01
I wear one sometimes.

Reminds me of something that happened the other day. A girl in her late teens/early 20s asked me for the time. I showed her the time on my watch and she said "sorry, I don't understand analogue clocks. Can you tell me?"

WHO CAN'T READ A CLOCK? I was telling this story to someone else and apparently this is common! I can't believe it.

robwolf666
26-12-10, 11:09
This was sent to me today and I have to say its quite an interesting read. It does beg the question though... Are wrist watches a thing of the past? I still keep a few high brand ones and do occasionally wear them. There is no denying their amazing craftsmanship...

I wear a watch, I even had one for Xmas.

Shark_Blade
26-12-10, 11:40
Practicality is having something where a quick glance at your wrist can give you the time. More practical then taking something out of your pocket anytime you want to see the time.Not really. If you want to take a bath you have an extra accessory to take off. And for maintenance handphones is easily charged whereas sometimes watches needed repair or battery changes. It's easier to carry only a handphone imo, it has all sorts of functions including telling time.

See the silly thing is, my friend and my brother wear watches on their wrist, but when someone asked them what's the time, they both took out their cellphones out. Lmao I bet other do that too.

jjbennett
26-12-10, 11:43
I find it odd how people will use their phone to tell the time as its "easier"...easier to take something out of your pocket and unlock it rather than glance at your wrist?

My main watch is mechanical so never needs batteries and as long as its worn, is correct, that beats a phone for functionality any day I think.

Shark_Blade
26-12-10, 11:51
And also I don't like red wrist marks watches leave on you skin. And when you went out in the sun, it leaves white marks where other skin is tanned.

But hey, some like watches And feel good about it, good for them.:)

scoopy_loopy
26-12-10, 11:54
Of course I wear a watch, pretty rude to constantly pull out your phone and look at it. Even if it is just to check the time. :p Plus watches can be, so, pretty. :mis:

January_Snow*
26-12-10, 11:55
Wrist watches aren't dying O_o
They are a great accesory, and really help in looking better, ofcoruse if you pick the right one.
Im really glad to see people around me saving to buy one expencive watch, rather than buying 10 plastic ones...

lara c. fan
26-12-10, 12:13
Not really. If you want to take a bath you have an extra accessory to take off. And for maintenance handphones is easily charged whereas sometimes watches needed repair or battery changes. It's easier to carry only a handphone imo, it has all sorts of functions including telling time.

I keep mine on. Waterproof watches rule. :p

Be careful with your watch and you won't need repairs, and I believe the battery in my watch is guaranteed for 10 years, which is quite a long time. You certainly won't have a phone that long.

Dream_Raider
26-12-10, 12:27
I wear one. Really old :p not even digital but, hey, it tells the time!

Liara
26-12-10, 12:28
I believe the battery in my watch is guaranteed for 10 years, which is quite a long time. You certainly won't have a phone that long.
Phones can last a lot too, but that depends on how well you treat them. But true, most people chuck their cell away after just a few years.

My watch needs winding, so theoretically it can last forever. I guess I'm all set if the apocalypse kicks in and all batteries are wiped out. :D

lara c. fan
26-12-10, 12:32
Phones can last a lot too, but that depends on how well you treat them. But true, most people chuck their cell away after just a few years.

My watch needs winding, so theoretically it can last forever. I guess I'm all set if the apocalypse kicks in and all batteries are wiped out. :D

D:

I love my watch though. It has the exact date on it as well. I also love analogue. If anyone can't read that, they can get out of my sight... :pi:

Mikky
26-12-10, 12:36
I wear one. What's the big deal? :p

tlr online
26-12-10, 12:36
I mostly use my phone for timekeeping.

blufan
26-12-10, 12:44
i always feel like something is missing when i don't have my watch while i'm out.

Mikky
26-12-10, 12:46
i always feel like something is missing when i don't have my watch while i'm out.

OMG, me too! :eek:

BlueJ97
26-12-10, 13:35
same here :p

Dina_Croft
26-12-10, 13:38
I never wear watches. I always have my phone for timekeeping.

The Great Chi
26-12-10, 14:30
I always wear a wrist watch, mind you the one I have now is an ultra thin and light 'digital display' swatch skin watch (only 3.4 mm thick) bought in Holland when I was there on holiday, The watch company in Holland specilised in keeping a select number of watches of different makes in storage and then sells them on, years later. Mine had been in their warehouse for over 12 years yet it was split new, all they did was fit a new battery.

The watch even has internet time (whatever that is :D )

I think swatch tried to 'sell the idea' to the internet as a common time thoughout the world, so Jimmy from America could contact his friend Jaro from Japan at exactly @412. But it never caught on.

Swatch internet time.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time

scoopy_loopy
26-12-10, 14:35
I always wear a wrist watch, mind you the one I have now is an ultra thin and light 'digital display' swatch skin watch (only 3.4 mm thick) bought in Holland when I was there on holiday, The watch company in Holland specilised in keeping a select number of watches of different makes in storage and then sells them on, years later.

The watch even has internet time (whatever that is :D )

I think swatch tried to 'sell the idea' to the internet as a common time thoughout the world, so Jimmy from America could contact his friend Jaro from Japan at exactly @412. But it never caught on.

Swatch internet time.....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Internet_Time

Reminds me of when the post revolutionary French tried to bring in Decimal time.

The Great Chi
26-12-10, 14:40
Reminds me of when the post revolutionary French tried to bring in Decimal time.Yes, a few websites did have internet time displayed for a while, but they gave the idea up.

Decimal time does not fit in with a rotating earth of 24 hours :D

igonge
26-12-10, 15:12
I wear one all the time, in fact, I got a new one for Christmas :p

Encore
26-12-10, 15:49
When I was a teenager I loved Swatch watches to death - back then there were hardly any of the fancy "expensive" ones, and Swatch were mostly known for their plastic wrist watches with really cool and unique designs.

One of my favourites that I wore for a long time was a limited edition inspired by Napoleon Bonaparte, which turned out to become EXTREMELY rare. Unfortunately mine doesn't work anymore, and can't be fixed either. But I have it on display.

It's this one, but I only bought the Napoleon one, not the Josephine.

http://i53.************/2ag2irk.jpg

Nowadays I don't wear wrist watches anymore, I find them too expensive for what they actually do. Yes they look nice and cool but it's not worth it to pay so much money for just that.

irjudd
26-12-10, 17:11
I have a mild obsession with analog timekeeping devices of sorts. Primarily wrist watches and long-case clocks. It's the intricacy in engineering and craftsmanship, you see.

I am willing to pay too much money for a watch since it fascinates me. So yeah I wear one every day. Usually only linked bracelet rather than leather or plastic.

Alive_and_Funky
26-12-10, 17:19
You know, James Bond doesn't even have a wristwatch anymore on the Wii version of GoldenEye. Hm...

The Great Chi
26-12-10, 18:15
I think the reason I wear a wrist watch is that all my portable devices, like mobile phone etc, never seem to keep the correct time, and I cant be bothered getting the manual out, trying to figure out how to adjust them ...:D

I know where I am with a wrist watch as the time is so simple to adjust.

xXhayleyroxXx
26-12-10, 20:00
Never have, never will.

Same. I have a few ornate ones but I never wear them. My wrists are too tiny for the style I like anyway :/

ultima espio
26-12-10, 20:02
I only wear a watch if I'm going out for a long time, otherwise I just use my phone.

Good ol' watch has lasted me 6 1/2 years :p

knightgames
26-12-10, 23:26
Does anyone have any idea where I can get a new fob for my pocket watch?

Tony9595
26-12-10, 23:34
If only Poketchs were real... :cln:

\Tomb Raider/
27-12-10, 02:26
i have to wrist watches i really dont care what people think i like them

The Great Chi
27-12-10, 12:29
I am one of the few who wears his watch on the right wrist.

Maybe because I am left handed :D

cezy rockeru
27-12-10, 12:37
I am one of the few who wears his watch on the right wrist.

Maybe because I am left handed :D

I wear it the same[when I wear it] but I'm right handed:D

moodydog
27-12-10, 12:45
the thought of wearing one... :o
I find them extremely annoying! As do bracelets ect.

cezy rockeru
27-12-10, 12:52
the thought of wearing one... :o
I find them extremely annoying! As do bracelets ect.

I like bracelets a lot,but I don't have any,I can't find the right ones:vlol:

Catapharact
27-12-10, 13:44
i have to wrist watches i really dont care what people think i like them

I don't think the world cares to think bad things about you for wearing one. Its just a wrist watch... Not some religious garb.

Lara Croft!
27-12-10, 13:44
I generally don't like wearing anything on my wrists, but I use watches to check time while I'm working. It's quicker than taking the mobile phone out of my bag and my students don't even notice.

scremanie
27-12-10, 13:48
I always wear a wristwatch when I go out.

ZapTheLadyBird
28-12-10, 12:20
My wrist feels empty without my watch...
But I never wear it in the house, we have too many clocks dotted around the place and a watch always gets in the way.
But when going out I'll usually wear one (unless I forget :hea: ), and always on my left wrist...

I love my watch though :)
Why don't they do women digital watches? :/

Sgt BOMBULOUS
28-12-10, 15:29
I've been wearing this nearly every day since 1998. At work we're surrounded by clocks, our cell phones have them, our MP3 players, even cameras... But my watch will run forever :D

http://www.prestigetime.com/images/watches/2501.31.jpg

EscondeR
28-12-10, 15:40
I use my mobile for that purpose all the time. Was never bothered to have a watch...

Besides I'd probaby smash it the first day, I tend to "cut corners" often :p

Chug a Bug
09-01-11, 13:43

So how about you guys? Do you still wear wrist watches? Or have your personal communication devices become your new time keepers?

I wear one, but then I always have. I use my phone for making calls not for telling the time! :p

sandygrimm
09-01-11, 14:01
I loved to wear them when I was youunger, but most left marks and some were too tight, a lot broke.. now I just juts my mobile. When I left home for classes I always checked : Watch, keys, ticket! :p

Phlip
09-01-11, 14:04
Never have, never will.

This exactly. My phone has the time on it.

Reggie
09-01-11, 14:25
I can't find one that fits but I own one - I just have to get round to having it resized.
I think a wrist watch looks quite smart. :)

TRLegendLuver
09-01-11, 14:31
Watches itch my wrist cause of usually cheap metal that has nickel in it, (which I am allergic to) so I usually just use my phone. :)

Azerutan
09-01-11, 14:59
I've always used pocket watches and I still do. Never used a wrist watch and I don't use cellphones except for work :)