PDA

View Full Version : ipads, kindle or other devices...

voltz
26-12-10, 21:31
I keep thinking about an ipad for browsing away from my PC, but seeing how there's google android for the phone market, I keep wondering if they have something like this already to counter it?

Zelda master
26-12-10, 21:41
There fun things for browsing, but the Ipad does not support Flash, so alot of site aren't compatible. And the tablet's are still brand new, so I'd keep using you'r PC for now untill the next generation kicks in, then atleast the devices will be alot more reliable then they are now:)

voltz
26-12-10, 21:46
That's what I was thinking of doing. When I found out apple doesn't support flash, there went my chances of using it to play my friends with air hockey or board games.

TombRaider4444
26-12-10, 21:55
HTML5 is taking over. Since most PC users wont understand it but Adobe doesn't care about apple as flash on macs is dreadful. So bad Apple uninstalled it on the new MacBook Airs. They keep promising us they will improve it with 10.2 then 10.3 then 10.4 but nothing happens. Youtube is HTML5, Games are becoming HTML5! Even if you get a flash tablet since theres no physical keyboard you wouldn't be even able to control the game. The iPad is the most compatible as most friends have some sort of iPod Touch or iPhone, well theres game centre with online multiplayer. FYI I have an iPad 32GB WIFI + My Novatel MIFI and the iPad is A fantastic device!

freeze10108
26-12-10, 22:23
I keep thinking about an ipad for browsing away from my PC, but seeing how there's google android for the phone market, I keep wondering if they have something like this already to counter it?

There is an emerging market for Android tablets, but there are only a couple at the moment that are even close to being able to compete with the iPad, like the Samsung Galaxy Tab. ;)

HTML5 is taking over. Since most PC users wont understand it but Adobe doesn't care about apple as flash on macs is dreadful. So bad Apple uninstalled it on the new MacBook Airs. They keep promising us they will improve it with 10.2 then 10.3 then 10.4 but nothing happens. Youtube is HTML5, Games are becoming HTML5! Even if you get a flash tablet since theres no physical keyboard you wouldn't be even able to control the game. The iPad is the most compatible as most friends have some sort of iPod Touch or iPhone, well theres game centre with online multiplayer. FYI I have an iPad 32GB WIFI + My Novatel MIFI and the iPad is A fantastic device!

I'm not here to be argumentative, but HTML5 isn't "taking over" yet. It's not yet a force to be reckoned with for Flash, and most sites are still using Flash and have no HTML5 versions. YouTube and a few other large sites have an HTML5 version, but it's not the default. I haven't seen many (if any) HTML5 games, but I'm sure a few will roll out soon.

Adobe is also trying (last I checked) to at least make an effort to improve the Flash experience on Macs.

Now, all of this said, I do see HTML5 as a rival to Flash in the forseeable future, but it's still a few years off from that.

TombRaider4444
26-12-10, 23:19
There is an emerging market for Android tablets, but there are only a couple at the moment that are even close to being able to compete with the iPad, like the Samsung Galaxy Tab. ;)

I'm not here to be argumentative, but HTML5 isn't "taking over" yet. It's not yet a force to be reckoned with for Flash, and most sites are still using Flash and have no HTML5 versions. YouTube and a few other large sites have an HTML5 version, but it's not the default. I haven't seen many (if any) HTML5 games, but I'm sure a few will roll out soon.

Adobe is also trying (last I checked) to at least make an effort to improve the Flash experience on Macs.

Now, all of this said, I do see HTML5 as a rival to Flash in the forseeable future, but it's still a few years off from that.

That nimrod adobe has being saying that to us since 2009 :o :mad: Try watching 1080P video on a MacBook Pro... Hickups until fully loaded. Load up HTML5 and bang it's 100% smooth

And off the record a second bonus is Lara Croft and the guardian of light for iPad and iPhone. (They released a patch update 1.1 to fix memory overload crashing)

Cochrane
26-12-10, 23:31
There is currently no direct competitor to the iPad with Google Android. The Samsung Galaxy Tab comes close, but it is significantly smaller. For some, that is a plus (it's easier to carry), for some it's a minus (less screen space). The general consensus seems to be that the iPad is better optimized for the screen space, but the Galaxy Tab has some other advantages that I forgot about because I don't really care. Otherwise, it's the same old fight between Android and iPhone, only in a larger screen.

To a large degree, the question is what you want out of your pad. The smaller Samsung is really more a larger phone, so it's more portable, easier to get out to do something while waiting for the bus. The iPad is more something you use on your couch or on a train ride, and the larger screen makes it better for that. Your call.

More Android tablets are going to come out pretty soon, but most of them have the same, smaller size as the Samsung.

As for Flash: Screw it.

SpArKy
03-01-11, 18:59
Hi, I write using my iPad and I love it. The iOS is based on 4.2 which is used for the iPhone 4 (which I also love) and is very reliable. I browse and do everything on this now. In terms of flash it can be annoying however, BBC NEWS, iPlayer etc are now all not Flash based so work perfect! :)