PDA

View Full Version : Looky I'm flyin' again!

wantafanta
27-12-10, 22:51
I snapped this picture during my second flying lesson Oct. 31. It was a
clear Sunday afternoon. It is looking west past downtown Chicago. I was
flying the plane with my instructor sitting to my right. I let go of the controls
for a moment to take this pic. The plane was pretty stable. I taxied the Cessna
172, took off and climbed, then turned South toward Lake Michigan, then followed
Lake Shore Dr. before turning west to take this pic. I even tuned the OBS to
ORD R-270 so I could do my first instrument navigation. An OBS is just a radio
that pics up navigation signals from VOR stations. ORD is the O'hare airport VOR.
It was so cool. When the needle moved to center, I looked out the right side
side window and there was O'hare AP in the distance! This was my second flight.
I wasn't nearly as tense as the first time. But I got woozy again the last few minutes of
the flight. A weak stomach I guess. Anyways, no stop lights, no cop cars. And chicks dig pilots. It was $189 for the 1-hour flight, $20 US for the fuel, plus $40 US for the upgrade to the larger plane. But worth it.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/4176/loopcrjttrf.jpg

Chocola teapot
27-12-10, 22:56
I am extremely Jealous, looks like fantastic fun.

I hope you enjoyed yourself.

:D

Mikky
27-12-10, 22:57
I am extremely Jealous, looks like fantastic fun.

I hope you enjoyed yourself.

:D

That's exactly what I was gonna say. :eek:

Chocola teapot
27-12-10, 22:59
GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE, As they say.

That's right, I was nice for a change.

:p

wantafanta
27-12-10, 23:04
I opened the side window to take a good picture, but the wind came roaring in at 90 mph! I closed it in a hurry LOL! But it's too expensive to take many lessons. Two should be enough for me.

robm_2007
27-12-10, 23:24
i didnt know that you could fly planes over a city (ever since 9/11).

ive always wanted to get my poilt's license. im not sure if i would rather get a helicoter or plane one.

larafan25
27-12-10, 23:32
Ohhhhh

Juan Tafanta!

It makes sense now!:)

lararoxs
27-12-10, 23:45
Finally! An other TRF member that flys! :tmb:

How far are you into your training? If you've only had two are you in the early stages? :)

Ahh.. You're picture makes me want to be airborne again. Haven't flown since the 11th of December..
Expensive but definitely worth it! :tmb:

cezy rockeru
28-12-10, 11:18
Extraordinary view:tmb:

Shark_Blade
28-12-10, 12:02
Good for you.

Hmm...I might try the same thing soon. :D

Lara Croft!
28-12-10, 12:10
Ohhhhh

Juan Tafanta!

It makes sense now!:)

:D I thought the nickname was "Want a Fanta". :D But as you said, it makes sense now.

Juan, great pic! Good luck with the rest of your lessons. :)

wantafanta
28-12-10, 16:27
Oh gosh, I didn't want to mislead anyone. My real name is Jay. I picked 'Wantafanta' for the screen name from a commercial for Fanta orange drink. There was a jingle for it sung by some ladies called the "Fantanas" who looked like the Spice Girls that went ... "Fanta Fanta, don't you Want a Fanta Fanta..." Well, it got stuck in my head so I used it for the screen name. Then it was time to choose a new avatar, so I picked Juan Marichal who was a pitcher for the San Francisco giants. I liked the way he kicked his leg way high up - cool. Then I thought 'Juan'! Why not "Juanta Fanta" as a clever play on words. Then I changed it to Juan Tafanta. Sorry 'bout that.

Yes, I've only had two lessons. Anyone can do this. My first instructor had his pilot license before he got his driver's license! And he was just 21 about. But what helped a lot was my flight simulator program - MS flight sim 2004. They are much better today than years ago. It was very accurate and I had a lot of knowledge already. So the instructor didn't have to do much or give me very many instructions. I already knew how to work the controls and what most of the instruments did. I just lacked a feel for it.

I might go up again maybe once a year, but I don't have any need to get a license, and it could get expensive to enroll in classes. Some of the pictures didn't come out good, but this one came out great!

lararoxs
28-12-10, 16:48
Good for you.

Hmm...I might try the same thing soon. :D

You should! If wantafanta has made you itching to have a go, save up and do it. The real thing's better than the pictures! ;) Why did that manage to sound rude?! :vlol:

Oh gosh, I didn't want to mislead anyone. My real name is Jay. I picked 'Wantafanta' for the screen name from a commercial for Fanta orange drink. There was a jingle for it sung by some ladies called the "Fantanas" who looked like the Spice Girls that went ... "Fanta Fanta, don't you Want a Fanta Fanta..." Well, it got stuck in my head so I used it for the screen name. Then it was time to choose a new avatar, so I picked Juan Marichal who was a pitcher for the San Francisco giants. I liked the way he kicked his leg way high up - cool. Then I thought 'Juan'! Why not "Juanta Fanta" as a clever play on words. Then I changed it to Juan Tafanta. Sorry 'bout that.

Yes, I've only had two lessons. Anyone can do this. My first instructor had his pilot license before he got his driver's license! And he was just 21 about. But what helped a lot was my flight simulator program - MS flight sim 2004. They are much better today than years ago. It was very accurate and I had a lot of knowledge already. So the instructor didn't have to do much or give me very many instructions. I already knew how to work the controls and what most of the instruments did. I just lacked a feel for it.

I might go up again maybe once a year, but I don't have any need to get a license, and it could get expensive to enroll in classes. Some of the pictures didn't come out good, but this one came out great!

Good luck with that. I only manage to get a lesson every month or so, that's with two part time jobs to fund it along with any Birthday or Christmas money!
You'll have to let me know if you do manage to go again. :)

Sgt BOMBULOUS
28-12-10, 16:57
I don't see a picture... Maybe my browser is going wacky?