PDA

View Full Version : Are you a music thief?

wantafanta
29-12-10, 02:01
This is an uncomfortable subject. I was buying CDs from Amazon and downloading MP3s, too. Some of what I really wanted I could not find anywhere. Until I discovered a blog by an 80s dj. He had all my favorite 80s dance hits converted from vinyl to MP3s for free download. It was a miracle. We liked almost exactly the same stuff! So now I bet more than 90% of my music is stolen.

To be fair, a lot of the stuff I like isn't being sold as MP3 or even CD. And the vinyl records I have packed away I can no longer play because I no longer have a turntable and am not about to buy a new one. Nor do I like the idea of paying twice - once for vinyl, and again for CD or MP3. I ordered a CD from Discogs but some tracks were wrecked with skips. Luckily, the track I liked was unharmed. And I located an extended play 12" vinyl record, but I had to drive 10 miles to a guy's house so he could transfer it to CD. He did a great job, but it was a lot of bother. And even some of the MP3s I bought from Amazon were faulty.

So now I mostly go to a file sharing site. I won't name it, though. Lots of stuff are DJ remixes or mashups that weren't commercial releases, so you can only get them from sites like this.

I know this hurts the artists. They deserve to be paid for their work. It's kind of like a bank robbery. The robbers have too much money, so they leave a million dollars in piles on the street corner. Are you going to walk past it every day without taking any? Maybe day one or week one. But after a month and it is still there, the temptation is just too strong.
So are/were you a thief?

AmericanAssassin
29-12-10, 02:04
My music is probably 50/50, honestly. I buy a lot of albums legally. Mostly my favorite artists. However, if I only like a few songs by an artist, chances are that the music is "stolen." I just don't get paid enough to purchase those songs. :p

Spong
29-12-10, 02:07
I used to buy all my music. Don't any more though.

Love2Raid
29-12-10, 02:08
Yup, but I donīt distribute it. Itīs legal here (to download).

Spong
29-12-10, 02:09

It's legal here too. Well, in my house it is.
I don't distribute mine either.

wantafanta
29-12-10, 02:10
Thanks AA, I appreciate your being straight on this subject. I was afraid I was going to get lots of angry lectures. No doubt they are coming. But it's nice to know I'm not the only one. But you are right. Nobody wants to have to pay for music they don't want just to obtain the one track they do want.

Love2Raid
29-12-10, 02:11
@Spong
:vlol:!

I think itīs actually not legal, now that I think about it...

Oh well, aaarghhhhhh! http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8910/piratet.gif

wantafanta
29-12-10, 02:14
I guess they guys are uploading music as a favor in exchange for being able to download. After all, without the UL, there could be no DL. I honestly don't know why the site I use is still being allowed to operate and hasn't been shut down. I guess I'd rather have the commercial CD for quality, but I would soon go broke.

NemesisX13X
29-12-10, 02:15
I never buy CD's unless I just felt like it, not for the music inside it, but just to add it to my collection. I used to have 1000+ songs and now i have around 600 (new pc) and all of it is downloaded. Same with movies and everything.

star-dust
29-12-10, 02:15
I used to... but haven't in a long time and I've now resorted to buying it all. :)

freeze10108
29-12-10, 02:23
So are/were you a thief?

The only (questionable) thievery I (remember) having performed with regards to music is to download a video off YouTube and rip the audio to listen to until either the song was released on iTunes or I had the money (a gift card) to buy the song off iTunes. I try not to illegally obtain music as best I can; it's not hard.

Sites like Guvera (http://www.guvera.com) offer songs for free because they're paid for by advertising, and iTunes has some free (though not always good) songs and videos every week.

It's kind of like a bank robbery. The robbers have too much money, so they leave a million dollars in piles on the street corner. Are you going to walk past it every day without taking any? Maybe day one or week one. But after a month and it is still there, the temptation is just too strong.

Here's the problem I have with your analogy: if the money were to be left on the street like that and you ignored it, it would be gone before the next day. Either human greed would get to others first or the law enforcement agencies would have picked it up and returned it to the bank.

And, without trying to get biblical and religious here, that money is there for temptation. Life is full of it, and you must resist it when it leads to bad actions. If you were cooking with someone, you constantly have the ability to maim them or kill them. Surely you wouldn't on day one or week one, but after a month and you still see the possibility to do it, the temptation is just too strong. Right? :mis:

Anyway, you should look into refunds for the damaged music you received; Amazon should let you redownload the music and the person who sold you the CD should give you your money back as what was advertised (a fully-functioning Cd) wasn't what you received (a damaged CD). And, you can buy devices that will convert turntable records to CDs or to MP3s. Just search for them on Amazon. ;)

trlestew
29-12-10, 02:31
Is this some sort of blacklist? :pi:

Dennis's Mom
29-12-10, 02:38
I think if you own copies of the music on vinyl, you are entitled to a digital copy. You did pay for the music, and for all anyone knows, you borrowed someone's vinyl to MP3 gizmo and made your own MP3s.

Ikas90
29-12-10, 02:40
I listen to/watch music videos on YouTube lol. :)

**LARA LOVER**
29-12-10, 02:46
I used to download music all the time. But it eventually lead to the death of my laptop through viruses. I now have a new computer and don't event wanna take the chance of downloading anymore.

I'd rather go spend $10 on a cd then have to repair my computer. Thats how I look at it! :p

freeze10108
29-12-10, 02:49
I think if you own copies of the music on vinyl, you are entitled to a digital copy. You did pay for the music, and for all anyone knows, you borrowed someone's vinyl to MP3 gizmo and made your own MP3s.

I agree with this, so long as you still have the physical copy; if you sell, give away, etc. the physical copy, you should delete the digital copy. The music industry would not, however, agree and actually lobbied to make it illegal to rip your purchased CDs to MP3s.

Actually, as I recall, you are legally entitled to a backup copy of your media, but you must create the backup copy yourself from your own media. I'd better stop here before I start ranting on the DMCA. :p

Paddy
29-12-10, 03:14
I like to download music for 2 reasons, if its rare and was never sold in shops or to see if the music I listen to is worth buying, if I do like it I will buy it on cd.
I like to store all my cds as digital media on the computer and listen to music that way too.

Exactly, if its not distributed or pirated in any way then its not such an issue.

I find it funny how some artists have an issue with downloaded stuff yet not all their albums are being sold in shops, it happens a lot here.
Sell all your ****ing albums in the shops and perhaps people wont have to download it then. Its that simple.

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-12-10, 03:18
No, I purchase my music from itunes. :)

Lara's Nemesis
29-12-10, 04:28
The best thing to come of all the illegal downloading is that we are no longer getting ripped off for CDs in the UK. The prices here 10 or so years ago were a total joke compared to other countries like the US.

I don't download music at all these days, have most of the stuff I need on CD.

MattTR
29-12-10, 04:32
I buy every song I like for $1.29. So no.

:p

Sgt BOMBULOUS
29-12-10, 07:02

Definitely a good deed. After all, Apple needs your help :tmb:

http://i56.************/2hdryp0.jpg

SkyPuppy
29-12-10, 07:16

too bad not everyone can afford to.

Spong
29-12-10, 07:18
Definitely a good deed. After all, Apple needs your help :tmb:

http://i56.************/2hdryp0.jpg

What does any of that mean? It's just all lines and numbers :confused:

Tombraiderx08
29-12-10, 07:19
If I can get it on itunes or amazon, cool. If not...:whi:

robm_2007
29-12-10, 07:23
Ive never bought music in my life, ive only pirated.

Apathetic
29-12-10, 07:24
Ive never bought music in my life, ive only pirated.

Lol.

PandaINC
29-12-10, 07:39
Buying music can get pretty expensive. Just saying. :p

e: also, if I'm not mistaken, don't most artists get very little from album sales and such? Most of their money made comes from touring and such, I'm pretty sure. If I knew the money was going directly to the artist, I'd probably be buying more music.

robm_2007
29-12-10, 07:45
Lol.

It's the truth, I've never owned a single CD or any sort of music that was paid for; by me or anyone else.

I only have one CD that i actually want to buy, only becuase they are my favorite band and would liek to buy an actual CD for the first time, and support their band, as they arent mainstream and I'd like to see more music from them.

Dark Lugia 2
29-12-10, 07:45
I do, and I buy some of my music physically too. Most is downloaded though.

I dont see why people try to justify themselves, and make excuses like 'I cant afford all that music' because if you havent got the money then why does that allow you to download it for free? Just admit its wrong at least... :p

Paddy
29-12-10, 07:48
I think its wrong when people do it then try to make a profit off the music. That to me is being a music thief :p
Thats when its going too far. Artists can feel ripped off by that, but as for the downloading, people like to sample before deciding its worth paying for, people make too big a deal of that.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
29-12-10, 08:24
What does any of that mean? It's just all lines and numbers :confused:

You didn't notice the red line I drew around their 300 BILLION dollar market cap?

Cochrane
29-12-10, 08:28
All my music was bought legally, and I am going to keep it that way.

To be fair, my taste isn't anything unusual, so all music I want is readily available either on iTunes or as a normal CD. There are cases where it may be difficult to get the music legally.

But those people who illegally download something they could have bought and then try to make up excuses for that? I'm not a fan of that at all.

freeze10108
29-12-10, 08:29
...but as for the downloading, people like to sample before deciding its worth paying for, people make too big a deal of that.

iTunes is moving to a 1.5 minute preview (which is already available on select songs and albums) which should suffice for sampling. I'm not much of a fan of the "sample the whole thing and if it's worth the money I'll buy it" philosophy and I try to avoid it as much as possible. Besides, you wouldn't walk in to a pastry shop, grab and eat a donut, and then decide of it's worth paying for. If you were really that desperate, you could ask for a sample--a small portion to see if you like the product. ;)

Spong
29-12-10, 08:45
You didn't notice the red line I drew around their 300 BILLION dollar market cap?

Right, so that's the bit you marked on the image? It means nothing to me. What's a market cap? And is a 300 billion one good or bad?

Avalon SARL
29-12-10, 09:03
I buy the music of my favorite musicians :D
Others, well a bit listen on you tube or some or some download or Limewire :p

What is terrible about free download of music are music shops who just download music and sell.
I think this is theft

Paddy
29-12-10, 09:04
iTunes is moving to a 1.5 minute preview (which is already available on select songs and albums) which should suffice for sampling. I'm not much of a fan of the "sample the whole thing and if it's worth the money I'll buy it" philosophy and I try to avoid it as much as possible. Besides, you wouldn't walk in to a pastry shop, grab and eat a donut, and then decide of it's worth paying for. If you were really that desperate, you could ask for a sample--a small portion to see if you like the product. ;)

But I clearly stated that I buy the music if I do like it so no harm is done anyway.
I like to sample the entire song, not just bits of it, and if I love it enough I will go buy it, I love to have a lot of cds anyway.
Admittedly back ages ago I used to mainly just download but I thought itd be a better idea to get it on cd if I can so Ive been doing that.
Lot of people do it, not judgmental on them, I only see it as an issue when people try to make a profit from it.
All my music was bought legally, and I am going to keep it that way.

To be fair, my taste isn't anything unusual, so all music I want is readily available either on iTunes or as a normal CD. There are cases where it may be difficult to get the music legally.

But those people who illegally download something they could have bought and then try to make up excuses for that? I'm not a fan of that at all.
I agree, thats why I always if I love the band enough from youtube or whatever Ive downloaded try to contribute back and buy their cds.

jackles
29-12-10, 09:05
I buy mine....but only after a hell of a lot of searching and price checking! I look out for offers...I got the Gaga album for Ģ3! I use cashback sites (quidco) and I also use tunechecker to find the cheapest price.

actuallyafter a bit of thought I remembered that I got that album for a 2 for Ģ5 deal.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
29-12-10, 09:10
Right, so that's the bit you marked on the image? It means nothing to me. What's a market cap? And is a 300 billion one good or bad?

You're being unnecessarily stubborn... A market cap is basically how much the company is worth. $300 billion would rank them amongst the wealthiest companies on the planet, Just behind Exxon. My point is that I'd rather burn money than give it to them.

Chug a Bug
29-12-10, 09:16
This is an uncomfortable subject. I was buying CDs from Amazon and downloading MP3s, too. Some of what I really wanted I could not find anywhere. Until I discovered a blog by an 80s dj. He had all my favorite 80s dance hits converted from vinyl to MP3s for free download. It was a miracle. We liked almost exactly the same stuff! So now I bet more than 90% of my music is stolen.

To be fair, a lot of the stuff I like isn't being sold as MP3 or even CD. And the vinyl records I have packed away I can no longer play because I no longer have a turntable and am not about to buy a new one. Nor do I like the idea of paying twice - once for vinyl, and again for CD or MP3. I ordered a CD from Discogs but some tracks were wrecked with skips. Luckily, the track I liked was unharmed. And I located an extended play 12" vinyl record, but I had to drive 10 miles to a guy's house so he could transfer it to CD. He did a great job, but it was a lot of bother. And even some of the MP3s I bought from Amazon were faulty.

I believe in the USA that Fair Use laws will apply to copies so long as it's it's for personal use only. Since you own the vinyl copies I believe that makes your conscience clear as well as in law. The guy distributing copies via the 'net is breaking the law, not you. This country does not have have a Fair Use law, its illegal to record TV shows with a VCR/PVR although no-one has ever been prosecuted for it. So we're all thieves here.

I dare say my conscience will survive, though.

Spong
29-12-10, 09:18
You're being unnecessarily stubborn... A market cap is basically how much the company is worth. $300 billion would rank them amongst the wealthiest companies on the planet, Just behind Exxon. My point is that I'd rather burn money than give it to them.

Stubborn? Why? I was asking a couple of simple questions because I have no concept of stock markets, shares, company valuations and all that malarkey/nonsense.

But I'll know not to ask in future :rolleyes:

BlueJ97
29-12-10, 09:54
What is terrible about free download of music are music shops who just download music and sell.
I think this is theft
this....

Cochrane
29-12-10, 09:58
But I clearly stated that I buy the music if I do like it so no harm is done anyway.
I like to sample the entire song, not just bits of it, and if I love it enough I will go buy it, I love to have a lot of cds anyway.
Admittedly back ages ago I used to mainly just download but I thought itd be a better idea to get it on cd if I can so Ive been doing that.
Lot of people do it, not judgmental on them, I only see it as an issue when people try to make a profit from it.
You're not allowed to try out the full song, though. Wherever you can hear the full or even just part of a song, someone paid for it. For the iTunes and Amazon MP3 samples, it is part of their deal with the networks. When it is on Youtube, it's booked under marketing, while things like MTV tend to pay for the distribution rights. Distributing music is value, and someone has to pay for it or explicitly declare it marketing, if it is legal.

When you go ahead and bypass that, you're infringing the copyright on the song, or as it is commonly known, steal it. It does not matter whether you keep it or not, the only thing that matters is that your use is not properly licensed. You and others here may say "Oh, but it does not hurt them, it's great for them, advertisement and stuff", but that is not your decision to make.

I agree, thats why I always if I love the band enough from youtube or whatever Ive downloaded try to contribute back and buy their cds.
Actually, you're one of the people I meant. No offense, but as I explained above, I don't think "I'm just trying it" is an acceptable excuse.

Paddy
29-12-10, 10:02
No offence taken, you're entitled to your opinion.

Alex Shepherd
29-12-10, 10:07
Yes I am a Music thief :whi:

ryan91
29-12-10, 10:44
i listen on youtube, it got every song i like:D.

cezy rockeru
29-12-10, 10:45
I think this is theft

This.

lara c. fan
29-12-10, 10:46
All of mine is, I think. But that spans all of 10 songs, so not that bad. I just don't have the money to buy CDs or whatever.

Liara
29-12-10, 10:55
Nowadays everything is on youtube, so there's really no point in buying.

Alive_and_Funky
29-12-10, 10:58
I buy all of my music, on CDs too. Sure, I can't afford everything I would like, but I just accept that (I think I have around 90 albums now though, and I tend to buy a lot of albums on '2 for Ģ10' deals). There's something special about going to a shop and looking or coming across something in particular. I'll admit that there are a lot of albums that I've struggled to find in shops, but the wait tends to be worth it when I finally get my hands on them. I find building up a CD collection rather fun too, with locating the first five Metallica albums being a particular highlight.

I listen to a lot of music on YouTube though, but not always stuff I don't own. My CD collection wouldn't be anywhere near as big without YouTube anyway, as that's where I discover a lot of artists. You'll only discover so much from TV and radio (although BBC 6 Music has a lot of variety).

Paddy
29-12-10, 11:00
Im gonna need a bigger cd rack for the stuff I am collecting lol.

Alive_and_Funky
29-12-10, 11:02
Im gonna need a bigger cd rack for the stuff I am collecting lol.
Yeah, I'm struggling to find good places for all of mine too. I don't even have CD racks. :p

ZapTheLadyBird
29-12-10, 11:06
All my music is either on CD or vinyl...
We're going to need more space >.<

A.JJ.G
29-12-10, 11:10
Nope. I buy all of my songs. When I download songs, I get viruses (despite my security system). So, I just stay clear of that. :) Anyway, I find it easier to just go on iTunes when I have enough money, rather than wading through several pages of unfiltered adds and pop-ups which annoy the hell out of me.

jjbennett
29-12-10, 11:25
I hardly ever download a song, i prefer having a physical CD, so there's a hard copy and i enjoy reading the booklet. If you shop around you can nearly always get a CD for only a little more than a download price.

As for the occasional odd song, only a few that were unobtainable illegally i have actually purchased, other than that, i download songs here and there but never whole albums or in any great quantity.

robwolf666
29-12-10, 11:35
I used to "illegally" download a song or two if I was curious about a band and was thinking of buying their music... these days though I'll just check out their website, MySpace or Facebook page and listen to clips.

That said, I buy CDs 99.99% of the time.

dizzydoil
29-12-10, 11:38
I download the album and see if I like it- if I do, I go out and buy it. I don't see nothing wrong with that (eventhough they might be :p).

Dina_Croft
29-12-10, 11:43
I don't think of myself like a "thief" that's too harsh.

I agree with him.

s6vgkDbMcZc

TombRaiderLover
29-12-10, 12:12
In the past I've asked my sister to illegally download a few singles for me. But bar a few exceptions, all music I own was purchased on CD and/or vinyl.

robwolf666
29-12-10, 12:19
In the past I've asked my sister to illegally download a few singles for me. But bar a few exceptions, all music I own was purchased on CD and/or vinyl.
Ah, passing the buck, good plan. ;)

Lost_Soul
29-12-10, 12:34
Actually most companies have given up fighting against piracy cause it's been proven that people who download also buy more often than the ones who don't. So, yes, I download music but if more than 60% of the album is good I will buy it.

Ampersand
29-12-10, 12:40
I download a lot of music, but if I love a band I'll buy their CDs anyway, and make an effort to get the special remastered packages and so on. I've discovered much of my favourite music that way. In the case of stuff that's rare or out of print, sometimes there's no choice. I don't like to pay for MP3s - if I buy music I want to have a physical copy of it.

Shopping for music angers me sometimes, though. If I go into a music store, most of the time I can't find what I want (even if I'm not looking for something that far outside the mainstream), but if I look for it online I can usually find a copy on Amazon for a fiver or less. And I actually begrudge paying so little for a brilliant album by a band I really want to support, usually just because it's "old". Paying a pittance for a good CD gets me down. Maybe I'm not normal.

tomblover
29-12-10, 12:51
I may download single songs but I rarely (if ever) download entire albums.

I buy music from artists I support. The others, meh. :p

badboy70
29-12-10, 12:54
I download first, if I really like it I'll buy it.

But downloading music is pretty much legal here.
If you download torrents in Belgium, but set your upload to none it's perfectly legal.
You can download torrents, but not upload them.

Simochka
29-12-10, 13:17
I have over 400 songs on my iPod but The Fame Monster deluxe is the only CD I own :p

Dina_Croft
29-12-10, 13:28
The thing I hate about CD Stores:

-Do you have the new MGMT album?
- MGMT? Who is that?
- -_-

I get that a lot. Even with 30STM lololol.

Raziel66
29-12-10, 13:50
I buy music, but only the physical CD's. There's nothing like cuddling with the booklet and the whole artwork, it's pure art. And it's cheaper than buying it digitally which is a paradox IMO.

The most important thing is, that you can make copy anytime you want and in what format you want, lossless FLAC, MP3, WAW whichever you like.

And finally if you have a good scanner you can scan the album art in gorgeous quality and add the front cover to the tags of your songs. Thus making something like your personal digital music library. :D

Shark_Blade
29-12-10, 14:08
I buy music, but only the physical CD's. There's nothing like cuddling with the booklet and the whole artwork, it's pure art. And it's cheaper than buying it digitally which is a paradox IMO.

The most important thing is, that you can make copy anytime you want and in what format you want, lossless FLAC, MP3, WAW whichever you like.
Yep, that 's what I do. I only buy CD albums of the artists that I really adore and inspire me, the one I would listen over and over again. I've got huge stacks of albums on my bookcase.

And call me old fashion, I bring my CDs in my car when driving. So usually before I went into the car, I would select a few CDs from my collection.:D My friends have those USB mp3 player plug-in but meh, I like my way.

Punaxe
29-12-10, 14:54
I did a little count and seem to have about 160 albums on my computer that I do not yet own a hardcopy of versus probably around 100 albums that I do have on disk. Downloading music is not illegal here, so the "I'm just trying it out, no harm done"-excuse is valid enough in my eyes. Most music I would not have known without "trying it out", and although my purchases seriously lag behind my downloads, I do buy them eventually.

I wonder if this habit would change if it becomes illegal. I'm usually a well-behaved citizen, and I do not for example own a single piece of illegal software. The policy at the moment is that it will become illegal once there are sufficient legal alternatives (such as MP3 downloads), but I'm afraid that for the kind of music I listen to, such alternatives will not be properly established. I do think I love music more than I care for the probably extremely minor risk involved with illegally downloading it. I'll just feel a little bad when doing so, and maybe order a real copy sooner than I do now.

CerebralAssassin
29-12-10, 15:01
The thing I hate about CD Stores:

-Do you have the new MGMT album?
- MGMT? Who is that?
- -_-

I get that a lot. Even with 30STM lololol.

the only thing that Greeks know about is their mushy music.nothing else:p

ozzman
29-12-10, 15:02
i usualy rip songs from youtube videos [converts song to MP3], but if i like more than one song on an album , i'll buy it, but usualy i just rip songs from vids when i want it , so i don't have to keep playing it over and over on the site, i rarely do so though, but when i find a song i want or a live recording that's just amazing , that's all though, i usualy buy the cd's or go for box sets, i uploaded all the songs from the new ozzy cd if anyone wants it

EgyptianSoul
29-12-10, 15:04
When I was younger I used to get all the music I listened to from my friends. Cds they bought for me and music they downloaded.

Now I buy my music myself and only as cds.

I really don't like to buy music as digital files from the net. Not enough places that sell lossless formats.

I want to have the choice and freedom to rip music losslessly from cds and decide for myself what lossy format to use for listening on my portable devices.

Zebra
29-12-10, 15:05
I usually only download stuff that hasn't been released for purchase. Once it does get released, I buy it, though (of course some of them are also demo songs that never get an official release). In some really rare cases I download songs that are available for purchase and end up not buying them. I'd say overall my collection is 70%-80% bought and the rest downloaded (and about half of that is unreleased stuff that you can't buy anywhere).

kthnxbai
29-12-10, 15:38
To be honest, there's albums that I've downloaded that I would never have paid for because I wasn't sure if I liked the artist, and if I do like them, I'd always go out and buy it...

I don't view it as I'm only trying it out, I know very well what I'm doing, but I don't have the money to buy CDs from every artist I might like, so I tend to only buy CDs by artists I really really like...

And tbh, CDs are kinda overpriced... Like there's no need for them to be so expensive when digital distribution is a possiblity.... CDs could be cheaper, and distributers could make a larger profit...

I know you can buy from iTunes, but tbh I don't agree with the method in which iTunes sells you music... you don't actually own the song... you own a licence to have it on 3 computers...
If there was a decent alternative to iTunes I'd be a big supporter of it...

Aphrodite22
29-12-10, 15:40
im a music thief :mis:.. here is very common and all of the people i know download it free aswell :p if not, they buy cds

Mikky
29-12-10, 15:42
All the time. :p But my brother has a humongous CD collection, so it's all evened out. :ton:

kthnxbai
29-12-10, 15:42
All the time. :p But my brother has a humongous CD collection, so it's all evened out. :ton:

tell that to the judge....

coolaideonfire
29-12-10, 19:25
I buy a lot of music, especially if it's something I like I make sure to but I also use services like Spotify and We7 which allow you to stream music free and legally. They're good for odd songs you hear on the radio or to listen to albums you read about or are recommended.

Music doesn't have to be expensive to buy. Be smart and shop around, look for deals and compare prices.

wantafanta
29-12-10, 23:10
Well, most of the music I find on Rhapsody or Amazon is the radio edit version - the one that everybody hears on the radio or on TV. But I like remixes and usually they don't sell those on sites like Amazon. I downloaded a Bad Romance remix and brought it to a club for the DJ. Everybody grooved to it - lots of drums that aren't in the radio version.

I always look for used CDs - usually can get them for a few dollars - even less than the shipping cost. I always fear the day when I'll lose a flash drive or accidentally erase a music file, so I always prefer to have the factory CD. And they'll outlast the CDs you burn at home.

Dustie
29-12-10, 23:10
I believe that if you have already purchased the music, then there's no problem if you come into possession of a digital copy. I know downloading copyright content that is distributed illegally is against the law, but in the situation where you do own exactly all the works you download, then you should be clear... it's like you just aquired a backup copy, and backups of content you possess are fine with law.

peeves
29-12-10, 23:42
The only music i get is Now That's What I Call Music just for a collection. I've also listened to the songs that were on the CD but way before the CD gets released.

trlestew
29-12-10, 23:50
I listen to/watch music videos on YouTube lol. :)

Same here.

I used to pirate, but I stopped. All my music needs are satisfied with Youtube and such.

Lara Croft!
30-12-10, 00:28
@Spong
:vlol:!

I think itīs actually not legal, now that I think about it...

Oh well, aaarghhhhhh! http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8910/piratet.gif

LMAO!!! :D

I download music as well...

Rai
30-12-10, 00:44
Nope. I rarely buy music, but I do pay for it when I do.

patriots88888
30-12-10, 01:00
Nope. I rarely buy music, but I do pay for it when I do.

You're a saint! :p

What I can't find on youtube I can always find in my vinyl collection. Just too lazy most of the time to go digging through all 750+ albums. :o So the short answer would be...

NO! :p

TRfan23
30-12-10, 01:56
No, firstly I see if my dad, sister, brother and mum have the songs I'm after on their CD's. If so I rip them and put them on iTunes to my iPod, if they don't I torrent away. Although each time it's usually one song per album, yeh I'm a naughty boy :mis:
Smack booty :smk:

There's a story a friend on my college course told me about one time, not related to music but films. He had a friend who'd rip DVD's, upload them online through torrents, and did it to thousands and eventually it resulted around nearly a TerraByte he had uploaded, and his ISP sent him a letter telling him that the police would be round his house sometime.
But he had these huge magnets and swiped the HDD's clean before they got there, and when they did they couldn't do him in as he had swiped the evidence.
This is where I'm confused though, if his ISP could trace what he was uploading, how's that not any evidence? :confused:

tranniversary119
30-12-10, 01:59
I know very few who aren't music thieves. To answer your question, I am a music thief. I do occasionally buy music from itunes, that was until they raised the song prices to 1.29. As for actual albums from the store... I don't remember the last time I've bought one.

robm_2007
30-12-10, 02:50
This is where I'm confused though, if his ISP could trace what he was uploading, how's that not any evidence? :confused:

not that i knwo anything about Piracy laws and such, but im guessing that becuase the police didnt have any actual proof (liek the files on his PC), then they cant charge him.

if i say to the police that i saw someone kill another person, but i have no proof, then they cant arrest teh person i am accusing (i would guess)

Encore
30-12-10, 02:55
I will only buy a CD "blindly" (without downloading and listening first) if it's a band or artist I love.

Everything else, I like to check for free first. If it's good I'll probably wait for the price drop and buy the CD too. If it's "meh" or if I can't find the CD, it'll stick around my PC library. If it sucks, recycle bin. :ohn:

amaris
30-12-10, 02:57
I don't distibute it, but I have downloaded songs from mediafire. :vlol:

_Awestruck_
30-12-10, 03:01
I'm proud to say that I buy all my music. :p

Uzi master
30-12-10, 03:20
Well I dont really download music, but honestly sometimes when I find a game I used to have but is now damaged I download them, I mean I did buy them before...

ozzman
30-12-10, 03:31
i DL but never share, well if i have friends who want a cd , i'll upload it for them, and delete/make privite , it on the sharing site

jjbennett
30-12-10, 03:43
I do it weird how some people can be so absorbed with an artist they like...yet won't buy their CDs and instead pirate them off the internet.

Encore
30-12-10, 13:55
I do it weird how some people can be so absorbed with an artist they like...yet won't buy their CDs and instead pirate them off the internet.

With this I can agree, I always buy the CDs from my favourite artists; not that I think CDs are that important to support them financially (concerts mean more), but really because the CD allows me to appreciate the sound better.

But you should know that some artists don't care about you buying their CDs. For example Carbon Based Lifeforms allow you to donate money through PayPal on their website if you previously downloaded their music. Nine Inch Nails released an album for free on the internet (Ghosts). Moby doesn't care about downloads of his music either.

The Great Chi
30-12-10, 16:24
I do think its weird how some people can be so absorbed with an artist they like...yet won't buy their CDs and instead pirate them off the internet.The answer is cost.

In the West the prices of a CD can be as high as three or four times the price as that of the same CD in the middle and far east.

In other words in the West, you are totally ripped off !

ozzman
30-12-10, 16:49
or sometimes they don't ever sell the one cd you want, i have looked everywhere for Ozzy Osbourne's THe Ultimate sin and never found it anyware and had to DL it :( it's because it's so un popular

RunrigNutter
30-12-10, 17:20
I used to, but been buying more, amazon vouchers from surveys, or I go spotify to hear tracks.

kthnxbai
30-12-10, 21:46
not that i knwo anything about Piracy laws and such, but im guessing that becuase the police didnt have any actual proof (liek the files on his PC), then they cant charge him.

if i say to the police that i saw someone kill another person, but i have no proof, then they cant arrest teh person i am accusing (i would guess)

well I suppose it varies from country to country... but there's a whole issue about privacy when looking into your downloads.... so unless a torrent is created as a trap or something, i'm fairly certain ISPs can't look at what you download...

They can look at how much and I think even where you get it, but they can't look at the content.... that's sorta like searching through your mail...

chobits743
30-12-10, 23:36
I used to download like crazy, but I decided it would be better for the music industry if I bought my music, so I do buy it now. :)

Squibbly
31-12-10, 04:54
I buy albums by artists I adore. Everything else... I may or may not be a pirate. :pi:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
31-12-10, 05:18
I steal everything. Remember that Snickers bar that disappeared when you were in 5th grade? It was me... :pi:

robm_2007
31-12-10, 05:30
I steal everything. Remember that Snickers bar that disappeared when you were in 5th grade? It was me... :pi:

How could you?

i almost died that day. I need that candy to help my fit of Hypoglycemia; fortunately, there was enough gum under the desks to even out my blood sugar.

Alpharaider47
31-12-10, 05:37
How could you?

i almost died that day. I need that candy to help my fit of Hypoglycemia; fortunately, there was enough gum under the desks to even out my blood sugar.

Ah that was mine, I was saving that!

Mmm I try to buy whenever I can, but sometimes you just can't get something legally :whi:

KC Mraz
31-12-10, 05:40
Nice try, Recording Industry Association. Not falling for that one.

Yes, I do buy all my music. Usually... sometimes. iTunes is a great thing, specially to 'support' the smaller artists. If there were concerts near my town, I would rather go and buy some merchandise though. You know, support.

Phoebe_Croft
31-12-10, 07:44
I hardly listen to or buy music, but if a new album from an artist I like comes out, I'd buy it - not digitally, but physically. Besides, CD's sound better than MP3s. But hey, if there's something you're tempted to download, YouTube it.

Kapu
31-12-10, 07:58
I buy most of my music off iTunes, but during those times when I'm all out of giftcard money and I want a new song...It's shameless, I know. I'm a terrible person.

I was curious to see how many songs I actually have on my iPod that I stole. Of the 173 songs I currently have, 20 of them are dirty copies. That's about 11%. It's worse than I thought. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked009.gif I checked to see how much money that came out to (assuming all the tracks were $1.29 - the music I buy usually is) and it came out to $25.80. For music alone, that's a lot of money.

It's time to replace all those evil songs with legally purchased ones. I've got the money now. Got no excuse anymore.

freeze10108
31-12-10, 08:03
It's time to replace all those evil songs with legally purchased ones. I've got the money now. Got no excuse anymore.

You should see which ones you can get on Guvera (http://www.guvera.com) (if any); they'll be free because they're paid for by advertising. :)

Kapu
31-12-10, 08:16
Holy Cholula, free music! Thanks for that link! :D

EDIT: My first search has found me the two Timbaland songs I had. Wooooohooo!!

leglion
31-12-10, 08:21
Now why would I steal music when I have youtube and around the clock internet on my phone? :pi:

Ivo
31-12-10, 08:41
Kapu, I can't find another way to ask you, so I'll ask here. Where did you find that avatar? It looks amazing! :D
Sorry for the off-topic everyone! :whi:

robm_2007
31-12-10, 08:49
^ I made it for him, JK im speaking nonsense.

Kapu
31-12-10, 08:53
Kapu, I can't find another way to ask you, so I'll ask here. Where did you find that avatar? It looks amazing! :D
Sorry for the off-topic everyone! :whi:

Haha, thanks! I Internet Archive'd the original pic from Planet Lara. That's the only place I could find it! I made a PSD cutout (http://i53.************/2nq7iw4.png) of it. It's all yours if you'd like. :) Gotta warn you though, it's not the best quality. I think I did a pretty decent job cutting it out, though.

I'm finding a bunch of music on Guvera! Thanks again, freeze!!

Dream_Raider
31-12-10, 15:44
it's 20-80 to me....I am more or less a thief I s'pose :p

TRfan23
31-12-10, 15:54
You should see which ones you can get on Guvera (http://www.guvera.com) (if any); they'll be free because they're paid for by advertising. :)

Wait, is this music you can transfer to your iPod or is it only streamed?

Also are songs in a fairly good format and aren't glitchy?

I would register to find out, but I get fussy to what sites I register with and hate it when my details are on a site, that I know I'm not going to use again.

FloTheMachine
31-12-10, 16:26
I would usually download a song to listen to it, then I go out and buy the album :p

freeze10108
31-12-10, 17:31
Wait, is this music you can transfer to your iPod or is it only streamed?

Also are songs in a fairly good format and aren't glitchy?

I would register to find out, but I get fussy to what sites I register with and hate it when my details are on a site, that I know I'm not going to use again.

They're MP3s you download (256 kbps @ 44100 Hz) and can put on your iPod or stream. However, it is, as of this moment, only available in the US and Australia. People from other countries can still sign up and be notified when it's available for them though. ;)

TRfan23
31-12-10, 22:05
They're MP3s you download (256 kbps @ 44100 Hz) and can put on your iPod or stream. However, it is, as of this moment, only available in the US and Australia. People from other countries can still sign up and be notified when it's available for them though. ;)

Guess I'll go check out for when it's available in the UK then. Thanks for letting us know about this site :hug:

Of which apparently isn't until sometime earlyish next year.

Edit - How do they get paid through the ads though? Who pays them?

Kelly Craftman
31-12-10, 22:42
I do steal music :( but i get the album later if it's good enough.

freeze10108
01-01-11, 01:09
Edit - How do they get paid through the ads though? Who pays them?

Certain advertsers pay for "channels" from which you download your songs; there are lots of logos all over it so you definitely know who's paying for your songs. Also, you only have a certain amount of credits to spend each month, so you can't download more than is paid for. ;)

TRfan23
01-01-11, 01:27
Certain advertsers pay for "channels" from which you download your songs; there are lots of logos all over it so you definitely know who's paying for your songs.

Also, you only have a certain amount of credits to spend each month, so you can't download more than is paid for. ;)

Ah coolio :) But what if you have Adblock Plus enabled in FF?

That's fine, I pretty much have all the songs I want but half of them are pirated, so I can fill those ones out with that site, and I have found pretty much all of them. Just can't download them yet :p

I would have made an account with iTunes but their format is in AAC (mp3 ftw!) and there's certain restrictions upon the file apparently? I don't like limitations. And Amazon, I couldn't find all the songs I wanted...

freeze10108
01-01-11, 01:40
^The ad is the background picture, so AdBlock won't block it. You could also disable AdBlock for Guvera if you wanted.

Also, iTunes has, at least in America, removed the inability to convert their songs from AAC to MP3, so you could probably use it if you wanted to.

trlestew
01-01-11, 04:08
Just another day of browsing Youtube...
http://i53.************/2nap4k8.png

...and this is why people pirate. Thank you WMG :)
It's supposed to be a joke. Don't get patronize me people.

ggctuk
04-01-11, 21:20
You are all under arrest for crimes regarding copyright.

jk :tea:

Seriously, I download a lot of stuff that has never been released. I've even been lucky enough to have one composer send me tracks from a score that was never released. But where I can, I choose to buy something - and if the music I'd downloaded ever became commercially available, I'd buy it too. It's not that I agree with the ludiscrous charges they often are, it's more the fact that I respect the artists enough to endorse them if I can.

TRfan23
04-01-11, 21:31
Usually the people who get charged are the people who upload. That's why you hear some people being charged over $1,000,000, which I remember one woman was back in mid 2009.
It's because she uploaded music, causing thousands of people downloading it meaning she had to pay for those who downloaded it. Yeh most likely more then the amount she actually needed to pay, but that's businesses for yah ;)

I calculated how much I owe the Music industry for bad downloads and it's Ģ112.97 - 143 songs - 0.79p (avg cost per song).

I have 161 legal songs (CD's my family owns), so Ģ127.19 has been paid off :)

moodydog
08-01-11, 01:14
I am building up a CD collection atm. I am not anti-download by any means :) Most of my music is off my friends pc :D
Recent stuff I have bought.

Eddie Haskell
08-01-11, 01:44
No stealing for me. I want the actual product anyway, so purchasing the retail cd is always my way. I do rip them to my pc afterwords though, to place on my portable.

!Lara Croft!
08-01-11, 02:17
I rip music from youtube, but i dont distribute or sell it.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Lara4123/33833_181695588513826_100000201594783_666185_33846 20_n.jpg

robm_2007
08-01-11, 03:21
Youre not stealing the item, but you are stealing the profit they would get, had you purchased the item.

!Lara Croft!
08-01-11, 03:29
Just wondering here. But it seems to me that you selling something to someone for a cheaper price than the store is rather like what stores do.

Is EB games stealing the warehouse's profit by selling Borderlands for a cheaper price?

tha_mattster
08-01-11, 03:31
^ What if you would never pay for it, in which case you weren't a potential paying consumer. :confused:

!Lara Croft!
08-01-11, 03:39
This just gets more and more confusing.

Endow
08-01-11, 03:51

Eddie Haskell
08-01-11, 03:53
I often am. But for one who has relativized what is legal and what is not so much, since I was a kid, it's not something that bothers my conscience as much as it used to.

But I'm not one all the time.

*Blows police whistle* "He's over here!" :p

robm_2007
08-01-11, 04:06
Just wondering here. But it seems to me that you selling something to someone for a cheaper price than the store is rather like what stores do.

Is EB games stealing the warehouse's profit by selling Borderlands for a cheaper price?

it seems similar, but when a person is buying a used game, they are still paying for their purchase.

Used games have already made money for the company that owns the VG (Borderlands), so they cant make profit off of an item twice. when you pirate something, you arent paying anyone, so you are reaping the reward without the cost. (even if you are paying a piracy distributor)
-----------
Whenever a game is sold (new) at a lesser price, then the developer of the VG isnt losing any money, EB Games is. since Borderlands was $60 when released, EB games pays to be able to sell that copy of Borderlands in their store. (IDK what the actual rate is, but lets pretend its $30). so the owner of BL still gets their payment of the game, even if EB Games sells the game for $1.

I dont know how accurate anything i said is, but its just how i understand it.
-------
you cant return a digital (movie/song/vdeogame/etc), so theres no such thing as a Used Digital Entertainment Market, AFAIK.

erosan
08-01-11, 04:13
i am and couldn't care less

Ward Dragon
08-01-11, 04:18
it seems similar, but when a person is buying a used game, they are still paying for their purchase.

Used games have already made money for the company that owns the VG (Borderlands), so they cant make profit off of an item twice. when you pirate something, you arent paying anyone, so you are reaping the reward without the cost. (even if you are paying a piracy distributor)

The developer/publisher only gets money from sales of new games, whereas the retail store gets all of the profit from the sales of used games (substitute record company and CD's for the music industry and it's the same idea). With both piracy and used game sales, the developer/publisher doesn't make any money. The difference, aside from legality, is that with piracy it only requires one person to buy the game new and then infinite people can download it for free at once.

With the used game sales, on the other hand, only one person can use each disc at any given time. Therefore considering how many people want to play the game at once, at least that many copies of the game have to be in circulation, and each copy must have originally been bought new even if it was traded back several times through the course of the disc's life.

That's why the developers/publishers are trying to encourage people to buy the games new (for example pre-order bonuses or free DLC for a new game that has to be purchased separately for a used game) and they're also trying to convince people to hold onto their game discs longer by adding online features to increase replay value (if people are still playing the game they won't trade it in, which means there are less used copies of the game available so more people might buy the game new).

you cant return a digital (movie/song/vdeogame/etc), so theres no such thing as a Used Digital Entertainment Market, AFAIK.

Correct.

touchthesky
08-01-11, 10:53
I download songs I can't get on CD..Like the proper version of "busa" I did try itunes but it only had a cover..so I just ripped it offa youtube.

Other than that I either buy from itunes or I buy the cd.

Zelda master
08-01-11, 19:06
I barely download music, I mostly buy CD's/DVD's/Vinyl. That way I get the better quality, I hate .MP3 files or any other lossy format's for that matter, and whenever possible I even buy only vinyl and emidiantly convert it to the highest quality possible with my own computer and rarely touch the actual record anymore unless I really am feeling like it :p

But I will admit I also download alot (yeah it's pretty much the possite as I just said), but it's mostly only official soundtracks that I already have. Like whenever I buy a movie or videogame and I like the soundtrack I download the soundtrack. Many find this very weird and wonder why I don't buy the official CD soundtrack, well I always think I already paid for it... I bought the movie, includding it's soundtrack on the actuall disc, so why should I buy the soundtrack especially considering that the quality of the CD is lower then the DVD or videogame track:rolleyes:

Endow
09-01-11, 05:16