PDA

View Full Version : help please :/

Laras shadow
29-12-10, 22:31
Okay I'm 17 years old, I really hate living with my parents mainly becasue I'm there slave and they treat me like a 10 year old. I'm not allowed out later than 9pm and they're constantly taking my stuff off me for no reason. As they have done again. So what should I do? I'm contemplating running :/ But I just really need some advice. Am I over reacting? :/

peeves
29-12-10, 22:32
Okay I'm 17 years old, I really hate living with my parents mainly becasue I'm there slave and they treat me like a 10 year old. I'm not allowed out later than 9pm and they're constantly taking my stuff off me for no reason. As they have done again. So what should I do? I'm contemplating running :/ But I just really need some advice. Am I over reacting? :/

Have you tried talking to your parents or asking them why they treat you that way?

Tony9595
29-12-10, 22:32
Yes, go away. Never come back, they hate you... a lot.

To be honest, I think yes. You're over reacting, but I guess we all feel like that at your age :p

Laras shadow
29-12-10, 22:34
I've tried talking to them and they've agreed to treat me like an adult but this was 2 weeks ago and they haven't changed :/

Liara
29-12-10, 22:34
Sounds exactly how my folks used to treat me. Unfortunately, if they're set in their ways, there's not much you can do. You'll tough it out, just hang in there!

NemesisX13X
29-12-10, 22:35
Yes, go away. Never come back, they hate you... a lot.

To be honest, I think yes. You're over reacting, but I guess we all feel like that at your age :p

Tony. Just get out of here. xD

I think it would be better to atleast speak with your parents before you make a big desicion like running away. o.o

Mikky
29-12-10, 22:37
Run. Run before it's too late.

Spong
29-12-10, 22:37
Some advice from someone who was kicked out at 17...

Keep your feet under the table for as long as you possibly can. You might bitch and complain, but God knows you'll miss those home comforts the second they're gone.

Cochrane
29-12-10, 22:38
It's hard to say whether you are overreacting, after all we only know your side of the story. It's really a question you should ask yourself: Do your parents have reasons for behaving like they do? Did you ever do anything that made them think it was necessary (it might have been a misunderstanding)? What is the stuff they take off you, and is it something you would let your 17 year old child have if you had one?

You say you talked to them, they agreed to treat you like an adult, but apparently they don't do so enough yet. Do you think they do that because they hate you? Seems unlikely to me, when "they don't know any better" fits just as well. Talking to them isn't something you do once and everything changes, it's a process. Be a little patient and act as if your parents really had your best interest at heart, only no real clue how to do that best.

As for running away, given the current winter weather… wouldn't be my first choice, to say the least.

peeves
29-12-10, 22:40
I've tried talking to them and they've agreed to treat me like an adult but this was 2 weeks ago and they haven't changed :/

OK then why doncha beg for your stuff back? And i don't think it's a good idea to run away due to cold weather.

t-raider26
29-12-10, 22:40
Well you're almost 18. So when you're 18 just move out.

Laras shadow
29-12-10, 22:43
It's the fact that this has been going on for so long now and even when I do beg for my stuff back they give me it back but for example when they take my xbox off my they'll give me it back but disconnect it from the internet just purely to add insult to injury and when I try to be calm and explain that it's not fair after them saying they would return it they laugh in my face and walk away.

peeves
29-12-10, 22:45
It's the fact that this has been going on for so long now and even when I do beg for my stuff back they give me it back but for example when they take my xbox off my they'll give me it back but disconnect it from the internet just purely to add insult to injury and when I try to be calm and explain that it's not fair after them saying they would return it they laugh in my face and walk away.

I think your parents are being bad by not letting you have your Xbox i'd let my child have it but i don't have children anyway. My advice when you're old enough you can move out and live on your own even though it'll be a year.

Cochrane
29-12-10, 22:45
Why did they take it away in the first place? There must be some reason that was good enough for them, even if it wasn't good enough for you.

Laras shadow
29-12-10, 22:50
i Honestly do not know, I always ask and never get a reply, they simply Laugh at me or reply you know why. "well I don't!" :/

peeves
29-12-10, 23:01
i Honestly do not know, I always ask and never get a reply, they simply Laugh at me or reply you know why. "well I don't!" :/

No offense but your parents are being rude. I can't believe they don't respect you. :smk: Perhaps you should deal with this for now.

Rai
29-12-10, 23:08
If your parents are not explaining why they take your stuff away, how are you supposed to know/learn? If you have really no clue, how will you be able to avoid this happening again.

Personally, I think you are too old to have your stuff taken away as 'punishment' if that is why. If your parents have always been this way, then you may just have to put up with it. Without having all the facts, I can't say more, but running away is not the answer. Try again to talking to them, to find out why. Maybe get a tutor (if you're in college/school) involved as a sort of mediator? Show them you can behave as an adult and hopefully they'll treat you more like one. It is hard for parents to see that their 'child' is grown up now and can't be treated as a 10 year old. They may come round. Give it some time.

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-12-10, 23:09
Don't run, that would be ridiculous. Everyone rebels at some time. The fact is, you're not an adult yet, and you're still young enough to have to follow their rules. If they don't want you out after 9pm, then that is their rules, and you should respect those rules until you can support yourself.

I had rules when I was 17, and I also had a bunch of chores I had to do around the house. I hated it at the time, but looking back, I'm grateful that my parents didn't spoil me rotten, and as an adult now, I have great work ethic and appreciate the things I get.

I've been mad at my parents over silly things when I was your age, but try to look past it. When you get older, you will realize that they are only helping you out, not hurting you.

patriots88888
29-12-10, 23:14
Just one question: Who purchased the xbox, you or them?

Laras shadow
29-12-10, 23:15
thanks guys I think I know what I need to do now x

Melonie Tomb Raider
29-12-10, 23:16
Just one question: Who purchased the xbox, you or them?

Great point.

Not to mention, some people are jumping to conclusions here. Her parents are unable to defend themselves or say anything, we're only getting one side of the story.

Unless they are abusing you, you should respect them and live by their rules. Don't like it? Move out when you can afford your own way. Nobody is perfect, and we shouldn't expect our parents to be.

Kelly Craftman
29-12-10, 23:16
Some advice from someone who was kicked out at 17...

Keep your feet under the table for as long as you possibly can. You might bitch and complain, but God knows you'll miss those home comforts the second they're gone.

For once I actually agree with Spong.

Spong
29-12-10, 23:23
For once I actually agree with Spong.

Thanks for the backhanded compliment :p

xXhayleyroxXx
29-12-10, 23:46
Just talk to them -- I know you have actually asked them to treat you like an adult -- but keep saying it. Ask them to respect your privacy and not take your stuff, and remind them that you are want to be treated as an adult once more. In turn, respect them. If you make an effort, hopefully they will too -- I don't know what your relationship with your parents is so I can't really advise more. Your parents are bringing you in the best way they possibly can -- so cut them some slack. Running away is the last thing you should consider unless you have a well-paying job and have a large store of money in your bank in which to buy a house/flat. I think you're too young for that.

I know how hard family disagreements are, and I hope your situation becomes better x

RockSteady101
30-12-10, 00:00
. Am I over reacting? :/

This is the problem - we aren't you so we can't comment, is leaving reasonable?

Details, if you feel comfortable, how do they speak to you? Treat you? What do they take? Why do they do it? How long has it been going on for? Possible options?