PDA

View Full Version : Australian floods now cover an area bigger than France & Germany combined

scoopy_loopy
01-01-11, 01:09
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/4916/australiafloods.jpg

A MASSIVE logistical operation is under way across Queensland to evacuate thousands of people and deliver emergency supplies to communities and properties isolated by the worst flooding in the state's recorded history.
Rising floodwaters have now hit an area bigger than France and Germany combined, with forced evacuations in the central Queensland towns of Emerald, Condamine, Theodore and the regional city of Rockhampton, which is expected to be cut off over the weekend.
More than 1000 people are already staying in 17 evacuation centres. The Queensland Emergency Service said more than 4000 people could be forced to seek sanctuary in the refuges over the next few days.
The military yesterday stepped up its involvement in the crisis, with a RAAF Hercules flying to flood-devastated Emerald - where 1200 people have already abandoned their homes - to set up an emergency shelter as Premier Anna Bligh warned the town was facing a "very serious, dire" situation.
-Source. (http://www.news.com.au/national/thousands-forced-from-homes-military-help-called-in-as-flood-crisis-deepens/story-e6frfkvr-1225979694261#ixzz19kGOXZlw)

The sheer scale of it all is just staggering. I feel so badly for all these affected people. :(

From what I hear, where I used to live (a mountainous small city) is practically an island now!

Update | Toowoomba and surrounds:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1368.snc4/164042_184008311622766_100000407966147_557210_7085 51_n.jpg
V_8DcQ3MRuQ
THE Queensland city of Toowoomba has been devastated by a deadly wall of water in scenes reminiscent of a tsunami.

An ugly new chapter is unfolding in the state's unprecedented flood crisis, with parts of Toowoomba devastated and homes swept away in the Lockyer Valley at the foot of the Toowoomba range.

Two people - including a woman pedestrian caught up in the flash flooding - have been killed but the language being used by emergency services suggests they won't be the last.
An unknown number of others are missing after the flood hit about midday (AEST), washing away cars, some with drivers still trapped inside.

The seething, dirty torrent arrived without warning trapping pedestrians, motorists, tearing up roads and leaving the city virtually cut off.
There are unconfirmed reports a bridge in the city's south has been washed away, and of a building collapse in the city heart, the Department of Community Safety said.

An unknown number of people remain trapped in cars and in buildings in Toowoomba, as rescuers struggle to reach them.

Communities in the Lockyer Valley were also hit by the destructive torrent.
Lockyer Valley Mayor Steve Jones, whose ute was almost swept away in the drama, said the town of Withcott bore the full force of the flood.
"There's petrol pumps taken out and taken half a kilometre down the road. It's like Cyclone Tracy hit it," he said.
"There's houses come off the stumps at (nearby) Postmans Ridge and taken down the creek, possibly two or three."

Toowoomba Mayor Peter Taylor said there was still no clear picture of the damage in his community but it was enormous.
"There has been loss of life. I don't know how many at this point ..." he told the ABC.
"There is massive damage ... this is unbelievable damage."
Thousands of residents have been told to abandon their homes in low-lying parts of the Lockyer Valley.
The Bureau of Meteorology said the creek was at 18.92 metres at Gatton at 6.30pm (AEST). The previous record was 16.33 in 1893.
"It's higher than the record at the moment and it's still rising, so we're just waiting to get some idea of what's going to happen there," a bureau spokesman said.

Source. (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/flash-flood-hits-toowoomba/story-fn7ik2te-1225985113281)

Update | Brisbane and surrounds:

http://www.grayscoaches.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Discovering-Brisbane.jpg

The Brisbane River has broken its banks amid dire predictions of the biggest floods to hit Queensland's capital since 1974.

The weather bureau says the river is expected to reach major flood levels tomorrow afternoon and rise further on Thursday.
It is believed 9,000 homes will be inundated as floodwaters race towards the city.

Some areas have received up to 150 millimetres of rain in three hours.

Water is also rising quickly in the Bremer River at Ipswich, west of Brisbane, where it is expected to peak close to 19 metres.
Police are preparing residents and business owners in the inner-city suburb of West End for the possibility of evacuations later today.
The Brisbane City Council says more than 200 homes and businesses along the river are at risk, most at Rocklea, Albion, Milton and Auchenflower.

Police are advising all residents in low-lying parts of Strathpine and Dayboro to the north of Brisbane to evacuate to higher ground immediately.

Caboolture is isolated so evacuation out of town by car is impossible. Police are saying that people in low-lying areas who can should move to higher ground or prepare for rising water.

The threat to Brisbane comes after an inland tsunami swept through Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley yesterday, leaving nine people dead and 66 missing.
That wave of brown water is now making its way towards the Brisbane River and catchment areas, where the capital's defence of Wivenhoe Dam is struggling to hold back the deluge.

Source. (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/11/3110450.htm)

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-11, 01:12
Oh gosh, how terrible! Floods reap so much damage and wreck so many lives :(

robm_2007
01-01-11, 01:12
What caused the flooding?

Paddy
01-01-11, 01:15

Rain obviously.

scoopy_loopy
01-01-11, 01:17
Rain obviously.

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-11, 01:19
Aww - I think it's a good question. Structural instability of the land here causes it to flood each year -- heavy rainfall and snow is the stimulus and then water runs from the valley top and fills our river -- the it bursts its banks ^_^ In Australia however, I imagine things would be a bit different?

Paddy
01-01-11, 01:20
Would take one hell of a damaged hydrant to cause that sort of damage :p
But in seriousness I feel bad for all those up there, the floods are ****ed up.
Queanbeyan had a flood about a fortnight ago, not far from me.
Aww - I think it's a good question. Structural instability of the land here causes it to flood each year -- heavy rainfall and snow is the stimulus and then water runs from the valley top and fills our river -- the it bursts its banks ^_^
It was rain.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-11, 01:22
Would take one hell of a damaged hydrant to cause that sort of damage :p
But in seriousness I feel bad for all those up there, the floods are ****ed up.
Queanbeyan had a flood about a fortnight ago, not far from me.

It was rain.

Doesn't it rain all the time though?

Chocola teapot
01-01-11, 01:22
Me and Leglion caused it by arguing. :(

Well, actually...

This is Serious and Terrible.

:(

I hope they all make it out ok.

Paddy
01-01-11, 01:23
Doesn't it rain all the time though?

Yeah which is what caused the floods :p its been raining up there for weeks on end.

larafan25
01-01-11, 01:24
Me and Leglion caused it by arguing. :(

Well, actually...

This is Serious and Terrible.

:(

I hope they all make it out ok.

OMFGWEUISJFADCUBGVECSABJ~!!!!:vlol:

This is horrible though! I hope people can survive.:/

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-11, 01:24
Yeah which is what caused the floods :p its been raining up there for weeks on end.

There's the answer then ^_^

Paddy
01-01-11, 01:25
There's the answer then ^_^

I know, thats why I said it was rain in my post earlier :p

larafan25
01-01-11, 01:26
jk post lol
We have never ever had that much water down here, does anyone know what could have caused it?

Chocola teapot
01-01-11, 01:28
Larafan, Are you OK??

robm_2007
01-01-11, 01:28
Rain obviously.

Youre supposed to say, "Water!"
-----------------
anyways, i didnt know if a dam broke or something, or Heavy Rain, or nearby oceans or rivers leaked into the town or something.
---------
I think a few thousand Sham-Wows ought to do the trick of cleaning up this mess ;)

TRfan23
01-01-11, 01:29
Poor people :( Hope they're all okay :hug:

scoopy_loopy
01-01-11, 01:30

Hellofa way to break decades of drought. Yo God/Aboriginal Rain Sprits... turn it down a few notches? Kthxbb!

Chocola teapot
01-01-11, 01:31
I know this is highly random and extremely inappropriate for the situation...

But I find Australians/ the Australian accent very Sexy.

:pi:

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-11, 01:33

Same :pi: very much so x

larafan25
01-01-11, 01:34

God was very upset ;)

He shouldn't have taken it out on us. :mad:

This one time I was bored, I got the hose, went to the garden, there I dug deep and found this amazingly awesome ant world, tons of holes and ants. Then I took the hose and sprayed them, so intensely the dirt was being blown away by the water pressure (not blown but you get my drift). I feel horrible.

I agree, however German accents are good too.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-11, 01:35

This one time I was bored, I got the hose, went to the garden, there I dug deep and found this amazingly awesome ant world, tons of holes and ants. Then I took the hose and sprayed them, so intensely the dirt was being blown away by the water pressure (not blown but you get my drift). I feel horrible.

You should...

larafan25
01-01-11, 01:38
You should...

You have no idea. I never kill things now, I even take flies from my window and put them outside, even though they feel creepy buzzing in my hands.

This one time I was standing in the rain by my pond, thought I was stepping on a small twig, began rolling around under my foot (not sure if anyone else does that) then looked down and realized it was one of my frogs. D:

I just...I can't even bare to think about it.:(

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-11, 01:41
You have no idea. I never kill things now, I even take flies from my window and put them outside, even though they feel creepy buzzing in my hands.

This one time I was standing in the rain by my pond, thought I was stepping on a small twig, began rolling around under my foot (not sure if anyone else does that) then looked down and realized it was one of my frogs. D:

I just...I can't even bare to think about it.:(

Omg 0_0 How sad! I can't kill anything or let things be killed. In the rain I go on snail rescue and move them all off paths if I'm out :p

TRfan23
01-01-11, 01:43
In the rain I go on snail rescue and move them all off paths if I'm out :p

Get some salt that'd help ease them off the ground :mis:

larafan25
01-01-11, 01:43
Omg 0_0 How sad! I can't kill anything or let things be killed. In the rain I go on snail rescue and move them all off paths if I'm out :p

Well I couldn't kill anything either, unless it attacked me. However the frog occurrence was completely unintentional. O.O

Chocola teapot
01-01-11, 01:44

I don't find European accents very.... anything.

They just sound normal to me.

Australians sound lush.

<3

Anyway, Lmao, :off:

xXhayleyroxXx
01-01-11, 01:46
Get some salt that'd help ease them off the ground :mis:

:pi: I'm vereh disappointed in you

Well I couldn't kill anything either, unless it attacked me. However the frog occurrence was completely unintentional. O.O

Aww :( x

Uzi master
01-01-11, 01:48

God was very upset ;)

http://scienceprojectideasforkids.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/water-cycle22.jpg
:ton:

robm_2007
01-01-11, 01:55
Ive stepped on my share of ants; salted a couple of snails; fed many flies to spiders (but that one was more to feed the spider, and not because i dont like flies), smashed loads of roaches, and shaken numerous babies :cool:

Johnnay
01-01-11, 02:56

La Nina and her annoying ways to spread rain amongst Australias east coast

scoopy_loopy
01-01-11, 03:12

Well the El Nino was pretty disastrous too...

robm_2007
01-01-11, 03:14
El Nino and La Nina were like 14 something years ago, AFAIR.

unless they are recycling Hurricane names

Tombraiderx08
01-01-11, 03:16
That's scary! :(

Johnnay
01-01-11, 03:37

theyre not hurricanes.. please read wikipedia for more info;)

scoopy_loopy
01-01-11, 03:40

http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx211/Raeyn91/gifs/7a1cb795.gif

Paddy
01-01-11, 07:49
Id love some of that rain right now.
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx211/Raeyn91/gifs/7a1cb795.gif
I dont usually agree with gifs but this one was appropriate.
Youre supposed to say, "Water!"
-----------------
anyways, i didnt know if a dam broke or something, or Heavy Rain, or nearby oceans or rivers leaked into the town or something.
---------
I think a few thousand Sham-Wows ought to do the trick of cleaning up this mess ;)

Yeah because a dam bursts and floods towns hundreds of kilometres away :p
It was Queensland floods, didnt just happen in one town, rains the only smartass yet logical answer lol

michaeldt
01-01-11, 08:00
Lucky I'm not in queensland

Paddy
01-01-11, 08:05
It sucks the rain is mainly in Qld, it could chuck some down this way :p

scoopy_loopy
01-01-11, 08:25
It sucks the rain is mainly in Qld, it could chuck some down this way :p

Well here's hoping a sizeable (but manageable, please, I don't wont the other two eastern states flooding as well! XD) chunk of water will find it's way to the Murray-Darling.

Spong
01-01-11, 08:27

First place in my 'Hilarious Posts of 2011' chart has been filled quickly :tmb:

Paddy
01-01-11, 08:35
The humour was obvious.

Ikas90
01-01-11, 09:07
Better start preparing myself for the end of the world in 2012 lol. :)

Paddy
01-01-11, 09:09
Hellofa way to break decades of drought. Yo God/Aboriginal Rain Sprits... turn it down a few notches? Kthxbb!
Lol must have overdone it with the raindance.
You get ready in that bomb shelter, the apocalypse looms.

robbie_rawr
01-01-11, 09:35
Omg isnt MyRaider4Life from australia! :O

ShadyCroft
01-01-11, 09:52
This is terrible! :( What about Brisbane ? I have a friend in Brisbane, and I cant get through to him.

Paddy
01-01-11, 09:55

Yep, I think he is in Western Australia though.
Could be wrong.

scoopy_loopy
01-01-11, 09:56

Yah... but he lives in South Australia. Only one TRFer lives in North QLD, AFAIK, and she's fine. :)

This is terrible! :( What about Brisbane ? I have a friend in Brisbane, and I cant get through to him.

Brisbane's fine too, except for some minor flooding of outer suburbs. Thank god.

Paddy
01-01-11, 09:58
Yah... but he lives in South Australia. Only one TRFer lives in North QLD, AFAIK, and she's fine. :)

Brisbane's fine too, except for some minor flooding of outer suburbs. Thank god.

Thats good, was just gonna ask about how she was.

scremanie
01-01-11, 10:06

We're all dead. In fact, I'm not even writing this message.... :pi:

Underworld2008
01-01-11, 10:31

Sounds like it doesn't it!

At least you're safe! Hope everyone else is :/ and at this time of year...must be awful for families :(

ShadyCroft
01-01-11, 10:57

what message ? :pi:

Rai
01-01-11, 11:02
Wow, that is terrible. So many lives in turmoil over rain water. Let's hope things get better soon.

robm_2007
02-01-11, 00:05
theyre not hurricanes.. please read wikipedia for more info;)
So, you credit Wikipedia as a credible source?

The humour was obvious.

I was actually being serious (which makes it funnier, im guessing). anyways, when i was in second grade, it was during Monsoon Season, as we were experiencing heavy rain, high humidity, high winds, etc. all things that we normally dont get.

so, i remeber ppl saying it was effects from El Nino (and/or La Nina); and that they were hurricanes.

so, lets move on :pi:

Paddy
02-01-11, 00:07
Yeah, Queensland does get the odd cyclone ( the Australian word for hurricanes)

Lara's Nemesis
02-01-11, 00:16
A bit o/t but I just found out recently that the UK has the most Tornadoes per year (for the size of country), obviously they must be fairly weak ones compared to elsewhere tho. I didn't realise we had any before that. :D

Hopefully the people affected by the floods can get their lives back together soon.

RunrigNutter
02-01-11, 00:16
Cyclones happen in India etc etc, Pacific....

I hope everyone is safe :)

scoopy_loopy
02-01-11, 02:41
Cyclones happen in India etc etc, Pacific....

I hope everyone is safe :)

I think you mean Monsoon, here. And yes, Australia gets those as well. :p

RunrigNutter
02-01-11, 16:56
Cyclones, happen in India etc etc :)

RunrigNutter
02-01-11, 16:58
http://library.thinkquest.org/10136/cyclones/cycltq.htm

scoopy_loopy
02-01-11, 23:51
I know they do ... but I thought you'd confused them with monsoons, because you selected "India" as your example. Mah bad.

Love2Raid
02-01-11, 23:54
This is terrible.

scoopy_loopy
06-01-11, 07:10
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/01/06/1225982/770398-flood-valley.jpg

My old city is now threatened. :( BTW, "Fortitute Valley" is like a trendy night-club area, which is why a fuss has been made. :p

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/cars-submerged-as-heavy-rains-turns-brisbane-city-and-fortitude-valley-streets-into-streams/story-e6freon6-1225982647414

Paddy
06-01-11, 07:59
This is horrible for all those up there.
Is this the worst theyve been flooded ever ??

scoopy_loopy
06-01-11, 08:24
^
Nah, historical stuff has been worse; but affected a whole heap less people!

Avalon SARL
06-01-11, 09:05
Wow, this is very terrible :(

Admles
06-01-11, 11:24
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/01/06/1225982/770398-flood-valley.jpg

My old city is now threatened. :( BTW, "Fortitute Valley" is like a trendy night-club area, which is why a fuss has been made. :p

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/cars-submerged-as-heavy-rains-turns-brisbane-city-and-fortitude-valley-streets-into-streams/story-e6freon6-1225982647414

Fortitude Valley SUCKS!

:D

scoopy_loopy
06-01-11, 11:51
^
I wouldn't know. I've only been to a Museum there. :tea:

Admles
06-01-11, 11:55
Now it's just full of drunks and skanks :/

scoopy_loopy
06-01-11, 12:10
Now it's just full of drunks and skanks :/

I seem to remember it being known for gutter syringes and used condoms. Seems like an improvement! :vlol:

Chocola teapot
06-01-11, 12:42
You're all de-glamorizing my image of Australia.

D:

Anyway, Poor people there. :I

So soon after Xmas/ New Year aswell.

Admles
06-01-11, 12:57
I seem to remember it being known for gutter syringes and used condoms. Seems like an improvement! :vlol:
Those are still there too :vlol:

But you don't see them in the dark

I used to do security at the taxi ranks in the valley.................

Johnnay
06-01-11, 18:20
Because of the crisis, Theres a good chance interest rates will be on hold next month:)

Paddy
06-01-11, 21:52
Dont think the people of Queensland really give a **** about interest rates, right now theyre worrying about survival and losing their friggin homes.

scoopy_loopy
07-01-11, 01:32
Because of the crisis, Theres a good chance interest rates will be on hold next month:)

Yeah, also in the post - expensive groceries, economic strain. China'll be ****ed, now they'll have to go shopping for coal.

Ikas90
07-01-11, 02:34
Dont think the people of Queensland really give a **** about interest rates, right now theyre worrying about survival and losing their friggin homes.

:tmb:

Always about money.

TombRaiderFan.
07-01-11, 08:31
Oh wow, who would imagine water can be so destructive, and this wasn't even a hurricane.

It's odd because when I picture Australia I always picture a big, mostly dry continent in the middle of the ocean. When it rains it's no funny business it looks like.

God was very upset ;)

Ya, he's got a lot of anger issues.

I dont usually agree with gifs but this one was appropriate.

I know! He totally misspelled El Niņo. :rolleyes: What a loser.

:p

scoopy_loopy
10-01-11, 04:49
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1368.snc4/164042_184008311622766_100000407966147_557210_7085 51_n.jpg

My old town is underwater in parts. I just ... wow. I'll try and find a youtube vid of what I saw. I just... wanted to cry. It was insane, cars being slammed into one another, apparently people have been swept away in the CBD. Landslides across the arterial highway, so thousands can't get home (since they've all been at work in the city during the day when all this happened). :( I've been calling my friends, I've only managed to get 1 so far. The others went to message banks or didn't ring through at all (I'm hoping that's because they didn't have message banks or have updated their numbers rather than something like telecommunications being affected by the floods/landslides, although they could be overloaded I guess).

Paddy
10-01-11, 05:17
My old town is underwater in parts. I just ... wow. I'll try and find a youtube vid of what I saw. I just... wanted to cry. It was insane, cars being slammed into one another, apparently people have been swept away in the CBD. Landslides across the arterial highway, so thousands can't get home (since they've all been at work in the city during the day when all this happened). :( I've been calling my friends, I've only managed to get 1 so far. The others went to message banks or didn't ring through at all (I'm hoping that's because they didn't have message banks or have updated their numbers rather than something like telecommunications being affected by the floods/landslides, although they could be overloaded I guess).

Saw some footage on the news, Toowoombas really copping it.

scoopy_loopy
10-01-11, 05:21
I've just got a text saying two have drowned so far. :(

I never would have seen this coming, and no one else really did either. Toowoomba is ontop of a hill, it seems so unlikely. But what's happened is the city is criss-crossed by creeks, once they reach the city, they're funnelled into massive drains that resemble canals. The rain has been constant for like 4-weeks so the system was already under-strain -- then today the rain was torrential and the city was swept by these flash floods. They say more torrential rain is imminent. Even my old quasi-rural area outside of the city has flooded, and it's some good 20 minutes from the CBD by the highway I mentioned earlier.

Paddy
10-01-11, 05:22
Australia was the driest nation if I recall, this is totally against the natural scheme of things.

scoopy_loopy
10-01-11, 05:27
IKR?! Brisbane is apparently on alert too? Jesus. If the Brisbane river floods, then they'll really be in strife. I imagine Gold Coast would be in trouble then too, and it takes NOTHING to flood GC, I've been through 2 floods there! Luckily at the time I was living in a highrise near the ocean, so I wasn't personally affected.

scoopy_loopy
10-01-11, 05:47
Oh thank god. It seems text messages are making their way through the system. I've heard from most of my friends now, they all seem to be fine. A couple were trapped in town, but they had places to stay so that was okay. One was at a shopping centre (a "Mall"), but only the bottom floor flooded, so she's managed to stay high & dry. Although no one can say they aren't a tough bunch: For the rest of the centre, it's business as usual! She's riding it out by watching a film at the cinema on the top floor. :vlol:

EDIT; It seems my Auntie is at the same Shopping Centre, she said the bottom floor had flooded and Myer (Aussies will know what I mean) is swimming in water. She managed to move her car to higher ground within the parking complexes. For the most part, people have had to park others in. So the good news is at least they're safe and dry, but the bad news is it might take a long time for people to get home tonight. (Assuming the highway can be cleared soon).

Paddy
10-01-11, 05:58
Lots of my family live around there :( hope theyre alright.

scoopy_loopy
10-01-11, 06:23
I found this on Youtube, it isn't the exact CBD (So far I can't find the footage the news used, but I'll keep looking), but you get the idea. Note the ute being swept along as easy as you please. (I wonder if it's owner will even bother looking for it.):

V_8DcQ3MRuQ

EDIT; Apparently Hellidon got so bad so quickly that they're rescuing people from their rooves of their homes. :o Hellidon sits at the bottom of the range upon which Toowoomba sits, so I can only imagine how much worse is it for them down there. :(

THE Queensland city of Toowoomba has been devastated by a deadly wall of water in scenes reminiscent of a tsunami.

An ugly new chapter is unfolding in the state's unprecedented flood crisis, with parts of Toowoomba devastated and homes swept away in the Lockyer Valley at the foot of the Toowoomba range.

Two people - including a woman pedestrian caught up in the flash flooding - have been killed but the language being used by emergency services suggests they won't be the last.

An unknown number of others are missing after the flood hit about midday (AEST), washing away cars, some with drivers still trapped inside.

The seething, dirty torrent arrived without warning trapping pedestrians, motorists, tearing up roads and leaving the city virtually cut off.

There are unconfirmed reports a bridge in the city's south has been washed away, and of a building collapse in the city heart, the Department of Community Safety said.

An unknown number of people remain trapped in cars and in buildings in Toowoomba, as rescuers struggle to reach them.

Communities in the Lockyer Valley were also hit by the destructive torrent.
Lockyer Valley Mayor Steve Jones, whose ute was almost swept away in the drama, said the town of Withcott bore the full force of the flood.
"There's petrol pumps taken out and taken half a kilometre down the road. It's like Cyclone Tracy hit it," he said.
"There's houses come off the stumps at (nearby) Postmans Ridge and taken down the creek, possibly two or three."

Toowoomba Mayor Peter Taylor said there was still no clear picture of the damage in his community but it was enormous.
"There has been loss of life. I don't know how many at this point ..." he told the ABC.
"There is massive damage ... this is unbelievable damage."
Thousands of residents have been told to abandon their homes in low-lying parts of the Lockyer Valley.
The Bureau of Meteorology said the creek was at 18.92 metres at Gatton at 6.30pm (AEST). The previous record was 16.33 in 1893.
"It's higher than the record at the moment and it's still rising, so we're just waiting to get some idea of what's going to happen there," a bureau spokesman said.

Source. (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/flash-flood-hits-toowoomba/story-fn7ik2te-1225985113281) | Pics (http://www.news.com.au/pictures/gallery-e6frflv9-1225985209684?page=1).

Johnnay
10-01-11, 11:33
I can't imagine Brisbane getting this treatment.

Its just.....No.

Paddy
10-01-11, 23:22
Well believe it, Brisbane is in danger of being flooded too, this disaster is tragic, so many people missing too.
I have family in Brissy and the Gold Coast so I do have concerns for their safety.

scoopy_loopy
11-01-11, 01:48
8 dead, 72 missing in toowoomba. I have no idea what the toll is like for the surrounding areas below toowoomba range. The river has broken the banks in a couple places I'm Brisbane already. Thank god for wivenhoe, and let's hope it doesn't get worse.

Johnnay
11-01-11, 01:57
Well believe it, Brisbane is in danger of being flooded too, this disaster is tragic, so many people missing too.
I have family in Brissy and the Gold Coast so I do have concerns for their safety.

i hope they can be safe from the flooding:hug::hug:

scoopy_loopy
11-01-11, 02:00
Caboolture is apparently now isolated, has anyone heard from admles lately? :(

Paddy
11-01-11, 02:06

Talked on msn yesterday, appeared to be safe for now.

Shark_Blade
11-01-11, 02:19
Pity, it flooded on the northern state here but nowhere as devastating. Hope they will recover soon.

:pi:Don't know about the accent but the female are gorgeous there. e.g. like Nicole Kidman. :cln: So sexy.

Don't know about the guys though, I can only think of Steve Irwin ("Ain't she GORGOUS???!!") >.>

scoopy_loopy
11-01-11, 02:25
Let's hope it stays that way. =\

Johnnay
11-01-11, 02:33

oh god No.. i hope he is alright:hug:

Shark_Blade
11-01-11, 02:39
Let's hope it stays that way. =\You mean the flood?

edit: Ignore this. You mean admles. :pi:

MyRaider4Life
11-01-11, 03:31
This is really starting to get bad. I mean, it was bad before, but now it's worse. There was just a breaking news story on TV and they said they're expecting the water to reach something like 4.2 meters, that's higher than my ceiling!

scoopy_loopy
11-01-11, 03:56
^
In Gatton (beneath Toowoomba), it hit 18.72 metres. :\

I've just seen on ABC that Caboolture has been issued an immediate evacuation order. Does anyone have Admles' number? Maybe they could text him and see how he's doing? (I'd say call, but since we've been told to keep the lines clear ... :eep: )

MyRaider4Life
11-01-11, 04:01
^In Gatton (beneath Toowoomba), it hit 18.72 metres. :\

Oh, maybe it was that it might rise another 4 metres.

I've just seen on ABC that Caboolture has been issued an immediate evacuation order. Does anyone have Admles' number? Maybe they could text him and see how he's doing? (I'd say call, but since we've been told to keep the lines clear ... :eep: )

I do hope Admles is okay!

scoopy_loopy
11-01-11, 04:02
4 Metres is still devastating, the water is just moving SO fast. They're describing what hit Toowoomba/Surrounding Areas an "inland Tsunami". :(

Johnnay
11-01-11, 04:03
i can imagine if these floods can make its way to Sydney.. now that is wrong.

scoopy_loopy
11-01-11, 04:09
i can imagine if these floods can make its way to Sydney.. now that is wrong.

I'm not sure if they will get to Sydney. Did Sydney flood with Newcastle in 2007? I'm pretty sure Newie will flood again.

Paddy
11-01-11, 04:10
If it can travel to Sydney it can probably travel to Canberra.

Johnnay
11-01-11, 04:20
I'm not sure if they will get to Sydney. Did Sydney flood with Newcastle in 2007? I'm pretty sure Newie will flood again.

i dont recall newie flooding that time

If it can travel to Sydney it can probably travel to Canberra.

that would take a long time though..

im worried and saddened about the situation... i dont know whats worse.. this or the Victorian Bushfires

Admles
11-01-11, 04:27
Houses around my area are being evacuated :/

scoopy_loopy
11-01-11, 04:28
Houses around my area are being evacuated :/

:hug: :hug: Keep us updated.

MyRaider4Life
11-01-11, 04:30
Now they're even saying it could hit the CBD, which is just extraordinarily bad!

I hope Shaun(scremanie) is not being hit by these floods! :(

Paddy
11-01-11, 04:30
i dont recall newie flooding that time

that would take a long time though..

im worried and saddened about the situation... i dont know whats worse.. this or the Victorian Bushfires

Both were disastrous, except the bushfires was done by arsonists, the floods a natural disaster.

Johnnay
11-01-11, 04:37
thats one true reason which seperates both disasters

but im more referring to the damage in the disasters which is gonna cost the country millions of dollars in damages.

MyRaider4Life
11-01-11, 04:39
thats one true reason which seperates both disasters

but im more referring to the damage in the disasters which is gonna cost the country millions of dollars in damages.

This disaster will most likely carry into the billions...

scoopy_loopy
11-01-11, 05:08
Now they're even saying it could hit the CBD, which is just extraordinarily bad!

I hope Shaun(scremanie) is not being hit by these floods! :(

I wonder what they do with all the high-rise dwellers? :( Are they evac'ed?

scoopy_loopy
11-01-11, 05:30
*Updated first post*

Alpharaider47
11-01-11, 06:39
Holy crap that's insane :eek:

scoopy_loopy
11-01-11, 06:57
Did anyone else see Anna Bligh's (the Premier) live address just now? She looked close to tears, it was horrible. She said that now it's expect 9, 000 homes in the Brisbane area are likely to experience a degree of inundation, with a estimated maximum of 30, 000 experiencing it.

The cost for Toowoomba alone was just declared to clear $6 Billion. =/

scremanie
11-01-11, 07:00
I love this picture;

http://www.grayscoaches.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Discovering-Brisbane.jpg

:D

Any way, this is just horrible! My cousin who works in the city had to be sent home, and now everything has been evacuated, and the Brisbane Mall is a ghost town. :(

My yard is rather...... swampy, but I'm still in a safe area of Brisbane. Although when I was at work before, my area manager called me and told me how to run procedure in case my area got flooded and we had to close shop, which scared me a little. O_O

Johnnay
11-01-11, 07:03
the flood has just hit Brisbane... Oh dear god im saddened

scremanie
11-01-11, 07:10
Yeah, the river banks broke a few hours ago. Everyone is sandbagging their shops in the city and most people have already evacuated.

Paddy
11-01-11, 07:13
I was saddened when it hit the towns well before Brisbane.

Johnnay
11-01-11, 07:26
And because of these floods the Australian Dollar is losing ground against the Greenback.

I can only hope but Pray that the rain can just die.

scremanie
11-01-11, 07:27
A few pictures from Brisbane;

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/20110110_2-600x400-Copy.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/509441836-600x400-Copy.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/r700379_5361313.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/r700286_5359531.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/r700265_5359051.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/Photo_6F17AEF4-A525-E08E-BEBE-DED5B99B355B-600x400.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/photo6-600x400.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/P1000861-2-600x400.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/IMGP2562-600x400.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/IMG_0283-600x400.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/IMG_0282-600x400.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/DSC01577-600x400.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/DSC01567-600x400.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/DSC01558-600x400.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/Auchenflower-600x400.jpg

This is pretty bad, but I feel much worse for the people that have been hit harder in other areas/towns of QLD. :(

Paddy
11-01-11, 07:28
And because of these floods the Australian Dollar is losing ground against the Greenback.

I can only hope but Pray that the rain can just die.

Who freakin cares about the dollar, peoples lives are being affected by this, that is a lot more important then the Australian dollar.
Sorry to sound harsh but I think the fact 9 people have died and so many are missing is of bigger concern.

Johnnay
11-01-11, 07:31
I know that but I'm just saying some news.

And that's some nasty shots of Brissy:(.

scoopy_loopy
11-01-11, 08:06
Any way, this is just horrible! My cousin who works in the city had to be sent home, and now everything has been evacuated, and the Brisbane Mall is a ghost town. :(

My yard is rather...... swampy, but I'm still in a safe area of Brisbane. Although when I was at work before, my area manager called me and told me how to run procedure in case my area got flooded and we had to close shop, which scared me a little. O_O

Jeez. That would be really surreal to see.

I'm glad your area seems safe, lets hope it stays safe! :hug: Also, thanks for posting those pics, it looks incredible. Thankgod it seems more gradual than what hit Toowoomba/the Lockyer Valley, however if it keeps rising like they've predicted, I can see it being just as deadly. :( Not good.

What's crazy is that they built the Wivenhoe to prevent this sort of thing, I can only imagine how much worse this would all be if they hadn't built it.

Johnnay
11-01-11, 19:02
Brisbanes CBD is swamped:(

Mad Tony
11-01-11, 19:10
What are the chances of it hitting Sydney?

Johnnay
11-01-11, 19:52
I doubt it will reach Sydney. The situation in QLD is pretty far from Sydney so i dont think it will reach here.

Zelda master
11-01-11, 20:00
Altough on one side very awfull, considering my sister was having three day's of her holiday because of the floods just makes my day:vlol:

scoopy_loopy
11-01-11, 20:22
Death toll from the past 24 hrs is now 10. :( brisbane has just had it's power cut to places like the city centre.

Flash floods across northern nsw and across Victoria (including Melbourne) last night. It feels like literally the east side of the country is being swamped. Really if anywhere was hit by the rain that hit se qld, they'd flood too. Let's hope nothing like that happens again, and especially not over any other cities. Toowoomba was pretty much saved by being on the range, unfortunately that left everyone down hill a lot of devestation, but thank god places in the Lockyer aren't built up as toowoomba. Imagine toowoombas rain falling on a place like sydney? That'd be pretty dangerous!

Lara's Nemesis
11-01-11, 20:29
I was watching footage on the news last night, unbelievable scenes. Vehicles being swept down the streets looked very scary especially with people close by. :yik:

RIP to the victims.

Paddy
12-01-11, 04:45
Suncorp Stadium flooded and apparently caught fire somewhere.

Andyroo
12-01-11, 06:10
This is just :cen:ed :(:(

Real sad to see the horses too. :(

MyRaider4Life
12-01-11, 06:19
This is getting really depressing... :(

I really hope this flooding stops before anybody else is hurt! Has anybody donated yet? My parents have donated $50, I just hope it goes to good use.

MrUnderhill
12-01-11, 06:25
La Niņa is in fact terrible.

Any salties swimming?

Paddy
12-01-11, 06:35
A bullshark was apparently spotted in the waters flooding Ipswich :eek:

MrUnderhill
12-01-11, 06:41
A bullshark was apparently spotted in the waters flooding Ipswich :eek:

Quite possible. They can withstand brackish/sweet muddy water.

Johnnay
12-01-11, 07:03
the brisbane river is expected to peak up to 5.2 metres:(

scremanie
12-01-11, 07:08
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/328ac626.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/f93c5900.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/ba31366a.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/15854185.jpg

This is just down the road from me. :eek:

MyRaider4Life
12-01-11, 07:29
Upload the video!

scremanie
12-01-11, 07:30
O_O

MyRaider4Life
12-01-11, 07:52
O_O

Just do it you bald, gangly... I'm going to try to be nice.

scremanie
12-01-11, 08:05
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/b45d639b.mp4

MyRaider4Life
12-01-11, 08:07
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/b45d639b.mp4

Shaun you can't link video's with a IMG code. :vlol:

Edit: Watched the video. So much freaking water. It's crazy.

scremanie
12-01-11, 08:20
Lol, yah I just copied the code from my photobucket. :p

Ceamonks890
12-01-11, 08:21
OMG! How horrible:( I hope everyone will be alright. So sad that 14 people have been confirmed dead:(. Why couldn't everyone have a lucky escape and no one would die, like the Christchurch earthquake that happened here in New Zealand last year?

I wish the families of all the people that died in the floods so far all the best.

tampi
12-01-11, 08:58
This is terrible guys. I hope you are all well and water dry soon.
I said nothing in the thread. We also have had a lot of flooding this Christmas in the south of our country.
For weeks, some villages have been flooded. All the images we see on TV are chilling.
Cars engulfed by awesome water flows or housees with people on their roofs.
I can not imagine how this can be arranged.:confused::(

The weather is really rampaged.

Paddy
12-01-11, 11:19
Victorias also battling floods :(
Near my best mates home too, **** hope he is ok.

MyRaider4Life
12-01-11, 11:29
SA has now got a flood warning. It's starting to get real bad. Let's hope it doesn't flood here. :o

Paddy
12-01-11, 11:43
How the hell has Canberra and Sydney avoided this??
I mean Queanbeyan got flooded which I suppose is as much Canberra as anything but not to the scale of Queensland.

scoopy_loopy
12-01-11, 12:55
Woo hoo climate change. Let's see Tony Abbott deny it now. :vlol:

Johnnay
12-01-11, 13:09
Dear Australians

At 4am Brissy Time. The Brisbane River will peak to 5.2 Metres:(. Yes this is just the beginning for Brissy

I'm hearing that untreated sewage has been dumped into the Brisbane River:(

And RIP to the 13 year old kid who sacrificed his life to save his younger brother before he and his mom was swept from the floods

It's very sad:(

scremanie
12-01-11, 13:12
This. Is. Going. To suck. :(

dexter void
12-01-11, 13:20
I feel terrible for the Australians,

I hope once the rain and flooding has stopped it can be sorted and restored.

I hope media coverage doesn't shy away a few weeks after the disaster has taken place like they did with New Orleans and Haiti.

On a lighter note, i was amused last night by an Australian guy being interviewed on the BBC after he lost his house due to the flooding. He was so light-hearted and nonchalent with his delivery. He basically said 'this sometimes happens, i just looked up and i saw my car floating past the back yard'. A terrible disaster but not self-pitying at all.

And, i sat next to two cute Aussie guys this morning on the way to work!! :jmp:

Admles
12-01-11, 15:18
*sigh*

Here comes the rain again

Some photos from yesterday:

This is about 5 mins from where I live:

http://i52.************/25qrl7c.jpg

And this is just around the corner:

http://i52.************/xehidx.jpg

(I didn't take these, found them on FB)

Ikas90
12-01-11, 15:22
I wonder if the floods will come down here too.

At least we won't have to worry about drought lol.

Love2Raid
12-01-11, 15:51
Oh man, I read that there are now even sharks swimming through the (flooded) streets! Such a bizarre and scary idea... :eek:

Admles
12-01-11, 16:54
Oh man, I read that there are now even sharks swimming through the (flooded) streets! Such a bizarre and scary idea... :eek:
Only reports, no proof yet

Johnnay
12-01-11, 18:53
http://m.smh.com.au/environment/weather/relief-for-brisbane-as-flood-peak-falls-below-74-20110112-19nnu.html?from=smh_sb

Brisbane is lucky. The Brissy river went up to 4.46 metres, not the 5.2 metres expected at 4am

:)

ryan91
12-01-11, 18:58
woa thats crazy :O.

Lee croft
12-01-11, 19:12
I just saw it on the news. I cant belive this has happend!
I feel bad for the people out there! hopefully the situation will be sorted soon.

Does anyone know an estimate of how long it would take untill everything out there is sorted?

MyRaider4Life
12-01-11, 21:11
Awesome, it's raining in SA now, just wonderful. -__-

I really hope we don't flood but I don't expect my area to be flooded as they said it would most likely hit the (can't remember fully) north-east or south-east.

michaeldt
12-01-11, 21:22
strange how Brisbane is getting the floods, but Perth has just had a bushfire :/

Paddy
12-01-11, 21:43

I wouldnt be surprised though, Bull Sharks do swim through these waters.

scremanie
12-01-11, 23:22
Awesome, it's raining in SA now, just wonderful. -__-

I really hope we don't flood but I don't expect my area to be flooded as they said it would most likely hit the (can't remember fully) north-east or south-east.

Oh shush up. It's been raining for a while in North QLD, we just copped the left overs.

You're safe.

tomobond875
12-01-11, 23:23
lol

Love2Raid
13-01-11, 00:00
Oh, that's good. :o
Not like (human) waste, crocs and snakes aren't bad enough though...
And all that mess to clean up after the water is gone, that will be so much work!

I feel really bad for everyone involved.

Paddy
13-01-11, 01:18
Common sense suggests not to swim in flood water even if those dangers ( snakes, sharks etc) werent there. If it can be helped dont swim in flood water.

Johnnay
13-01-11, 01:54
Common sense suggests not to swim in flood water even if those dangers ( snakes, sharks etc) werent there. If it can be helped dont swim in flood water.

yeah

its dirty, unclean and not safe.. plus diseases and all lie in there:(

Paddy
13-01-11, 01:58
My mate told me on msn some dickhead picked up a Taipan when he clearly wasnt a qualified professional. What a ****wit. Make things more dangerous for people.

Johnnay
13-01-11, 01:59
whats a taipan....never heard of that word before

Paddy
13-01-11, 02:02
whats a taipan....never heard of that word before

Its a breed of snake, deadliest snake in the world. Theres the coastal and inland taipan. The Inland is the most lethal in venom.

MyRaider4Life
13-01-11, 02:04
Its a breed of snake, deadliest snake in the world. Theres the coastal and inland taipan. The Inland is the most lethal in venom.

Does nothing ever click in these peoples heads that what they're doing is DANGEROUS!? O_O

Johnnay
13-01-11, 02:05

oh... why did that person even pick it up anyway???

Paddy
13-01-11, 02:06
Does nothing ever click in these peoples heads that what they're doing is DANGEROUS!? O_O

I know hey? Its beyond ****ing retarded to go near a snake let alone pick it up AND let alone one as dangerous as a taipan.

oh... why did that person even pick it up anyway???

Beats me, its stupidity to do that when he isnt qualified to do so.

Lara's Nemesis
13-01-11, 19:09
Really sad to hear about the young lad Jordan Rice and his mother.

RIP to both of them.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20028375-503543.html

xXhayleyroxXx
13-01-11, 23:30

RIP to both of them.

omg how horrible! These floods are devastating and so sad to watch :( I tear up watching the news. We can't do a thing either and it really bugs me.

MrUnderhill
13-01-11, 23:50
My heart is with my Australian friends.

But I would like to single out an outstanding young boy.

Jordan Rice.

At a young age he displayed a courage and self-sacrifice many people never succeed to achieve.

May he and his beloved mother rest in peace.

Love2Raid
13-01-11, 23:58

RIP to both of them.

That's so sad. The poor lad, he will be remembered as a hero though.

Lara's Nemesis
15-01-11, 05:16
Sorry to hijack this thread but the floods in Brazil are pretty unbelievable as well, hadn't really seen much on the news about this tragedy. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12180079

Johnnay
29-01-11, 22:37
Dear All Australians...

tomorrow on behalf of me and luna park(where i work) we are holding this day to raise money for charity, i am volunteering to work tomorrow for the Queensland floods. im happy on behalf of the Australian Nation that i am playing my part for people affected by the tragedy

and.... i have a 50/50 about Gillards flood levy... i hope it works for the affected people in Queensland and Victoria

i also hope the two cyclones who are on collision course with Queensland dont cause anymore crap:(