PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Scribbling

Munin Raven
10-04-11, 21:05
Some fan scribbles with an oldschool flavour...

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0092TR_logoSM.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0093TR_openingSM.jpg

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0094TR_guideSM.jpg

More to follow. Possibly.

Autolycus
11-04-11, 07:03
They look really good :tmb:

not again!
12-04-11, 20:17
Those look absolutely professional. If someone told me that's official concept art, I would not doubt it for a second. Hope you'll post more.

Soul
12-04-11, 20:24
LOL, I was just about to say, that these pics really remind me of Munin Ravens way of drawing :vlol:

Looks really fantastic :tmb:

Munin Raven
17-04-11, 18:51
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. :tmb:

LOL, I was just about to say, that these pics really remind me of Munin Ravens way of drawing :vlol:

Haha... you mean a ton of scribbles, eh? :D I tend to use the same jestures when I paint digitally as I do when I'm sketching. After all, I'm holding a pen, not a brush. :)

Speaking of scribbles, here's a poncho speedie...
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0097TR_ponchoSM.jpg

young Lara Croft
17-04-11, 19:04
I think I sense some cs5 brushes, I like the mexican's face a lot , reminds me of Van Gogh style :o

lord gaga
17-04-11, 19:13
MY GOD!!! More please. These are amazing and creative.

tombraider4ever
17-04-11, 21:46
Awesome :yik: I love them all! :tmb: Lara looks so beautiful in the last one :) and the logo looks great too. Do you have a deviantart acount?

Rai
17-04-11, 21:50
This is what you call scribbles? Bloody heck these are good. Fabulous work!

Lara_Zoz2006
17-04-11, 22:13
Absolutely bloody stunning !!! The Lara poncho is frikkin amazing , more please :) and some tutorials would be awesome ur textures and everything are specular , I'm using one of ur drawings as a wallpaper right now :)

JonnyT
17-04-11, 22:25
These are awesome :)

Love2Raid
17-04-11, 22:57
My goodness, these are incredible! You've got a lot of talent and skills! :D
:tmb:

Munin Raven
17-04-11, 23:24
I really appreciate your comments, folks. I was trying to do a playthrough/commentary of TR3, but then I finally got TR1 up and running on a duel processor and it's just heaven to be able to play the game again after so many years. Now all I want to do is play and paint. Beautiful simplicity, nothing contrived; just a pure, unadulterated TR experience. *sigh* :hug:

I think I sense some cs5 brushes...
Nah... just a set of custom brushes I've been tweaking and whittling down since CS2. I'm currently using CS4. Can't afford an update. :(

...Do you have a deviantart acount?

Sorry, no Deviant account as of yet, but I do have a sketchblog (http://munin-sketchblog.blogspot.com/) which I need to get back on track. Bit short on updates recently. Ahem! :o

...some tutorials would be awesome...
I appreciate your interest. I'm no good at tutorials. When I have tried to expain some way of working, it becomes hard for me to do so without rambling alot and being obtuse. I tend to rely on my subconscious and learned instinct when I paint or draw, and that doesn't translate easily into tutorial format. I'm still very much learning myself, but if you want me to try and demonstrate something in my own screwed up way then please feel free to name a topic. It might be good practice for me. :)

Summers
18-04-11, 04:04
nothingtoseehere

leglion
18-04-11, 04:19
I appreciate your interest. I'm no good at tutorials. When I have tried to expain some way of working, it becomes hard for me to do so without rambling alot and being obtuse. I tend to rely on my subconscious and learned instinct when I paint or draw, and that doesn't translate easily into tutorial format. I'm still very much learning myself, but if you want me to try and demonstrate something in my own screwed up way then please feel free to name a topic. It might be good practice for me. :)

Contrary to popular belief, this is the best type of tutorial to learn from. I mean where the artist explains their every thought process. I find that tutorial makers try to come off as perfect in their videos and don't include their real thought process but fail to realise their viewers are anything but perfect. so if you ever post a tutorial i will be your very first viewers. :tmb:

Tjw croft
18-04-11, 17:11
I really appreciate your comments, folks. I was trying to do a playthrough/commentary of TR3, but then I finally got TR1 up and running on a duel processor and it's just heaven to be able to play the game again after so many years. Now all I want to do is play and paint. Beautiful simplicity, nothing contrived; just a pure, unadulterated TR experience. *sigh* :hug:

I would love to see some of your takes on the Atlantean levels, to see what you could come up with. I must honestly say that your art seriously inspires me, and I wish I could do stuff like this.
Please, Don't stop now! :)

domina
18-04-11, 17:18
Your work is amazing. I love a lot of texture in paintings, and you definitely work the brush strokes in very well. And what a cool idea, mixing painting with screenshots. Awesome, awesome work!

Your_Envy*
18-04-11, 17:59
This is brilliant! I love everything, your art is so unique and special. You're amazing artist, I am sure you are an inspiration for lots of people, including me! :hug:

MORE! :jmp:

the ancient
18-04-11, 18:15
These are all great :eek:

I want more!!

jackali
18-04-11, 18:49
These are fantastic! I'd love to see more. :)

Nephili
18-04-11, 21:09
Beautiful :tmb:

I would love to see some from TRII. Maria Doria, or Venice :D

Tjw croft
19-04-11, 16:52
When might we see some more?

Munin Raven
14-05-11, 17:33
I appreciate your encouragement, folks. It's really pleasing to hear that my scribbles inspire some of you. I can't think of a better compliment, so thank you very much. It means a lot. :)

Contrary to popular belief, this is the best type of tutorial to learn from...

I would be happy to post some sort of process/way of working, if you don't mind a bit of general rambling. It's hard for me to explain what goes through my head when painting without touching upon abstract notions like relying on your subconscious. That's how I work, so I'm no good at that "tutorial" lark. Still, I could always post a bunch of notes regarding my train of thought while painting a piece and include WIP screenshots. I'll give it some thought.

I would love to see some from TRII. Maria Doria, or Venice :D

Oddly enough, the first painting I did using the above screen shot/canvas idea was done while I was playing TR2. It's not Maria Doria, but I'll dig it out all the same.

When might we see some more?

Sporadic at best, I'm affraid. :o

A few of our resident cosplay ladies were kind enough to allow the use of their photos for reference/practice purposes. Here's a painting of Miss Lara Croft in Nevada gear. Can't help but love that brooding gaze...

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0099_trport2.jpg

Alternate crop...
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0099_trport2A-1.jpg

More to follow.

Munin Raven
18-05-11, 20:41
A quick and dirty speedpaint of Lara complete with pot belly ( :o ) done as a splash image for the next art contest (see sub forum). I might take this further... maybe make Lara pregnant. :eek: JK

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/trcover2.jpg

larafan25
18-05-11, 21:16
OMG! That Lara in the black! D: I want THAT to be TR10!!!! D:

tampi
19-05-11, 08:53
I've been watching your blog. It's awesome.
I'm speechless and I can only feel admiration.
You have drawn all sorts of things, I would not miss the opportunity to ask what criteria you continue to draw all this variety of topics.
And when you talk about quick sketch or speedpaint, how long is it?
I would like to know a time reference on the time it takes to make any picture of these.
Thanks in advance. It is encouraging that there are people like you.

Munin Raven
22-05-11, 19:25
OMG! That Lara in the black! D: I want THAT to be TR10!!!! D:

Hehe. I'm sure our resident Miss Lara Croft would be only too happy to fill the role. :)

You have drawn all sorts of things, I would not miss the opportunity to ask what criteria you continue to draw all this variety of topics.
And when you talk about quick sketch or speedpaint, how long is it?

Thank you for your kind words. If by criteria, you mean what inspires me to paint what I paint, then it's all about the multitude of little influences throughout my life. Trips to the seaside as a kid inform my love of anything nautical. Long summers spent exploring local woodlands and farmlands as a kid have nurtured a love for landscape. Certain colour combinations and texture also play their part in what I chose to paint. The Tomb Raider stuff stems from my deep love of the first game and rather abstract nuances that were/are part of that gaming experience.

Regarding painting time, I class speedpaints as paintings done in a single sitting in under 3 hours, although 2 hours is more like my average. Sometimes I can be trying to pin down an idea, or the composition of my main shapes and elements for a long time, but once I have everything blocked in at a rough stage, I tend to paint very fast and free - relying on my instincts more than wasting time fiddling with each little part. It's hard to describe, but it is a very honest and decent way of working once you are comfortable with it.

amaris
23-05-11, 01:57
Wow, these are amazing! :D

young Lara Croft
23-05-11, 05:57
I like the painting of MissLaraCroft in nevada outfit! :tmb:

Munin Raven
03-09-11, 14:55
Long time, no scribble. :o Never mind. Here's something for TR2 that continues the screenshot base canvas theme...

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0104TR_greatwall.jpg

More whenever. :)

Munin Raven
05-09-11, 12:32
Barracuda speedie...

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0106TR_barracuda.jpg

CuteLilDragon
05-09-11, 13:16
These are lovely! :D I need more!!! :p

Rai
05-09-11, 23:44
I really love your new ones. The tiger one is great, but, I'm sorry, I feel having game Lara's legs in the pic ruins it a little. I can see what you're trying to do, with the screen shot forming part of the pic, but this one would be better just as a painting. The painting work itself of the tiger and Lara is gorgeous all the same.

just*raidin*tomb
06-09-11, 05:30
You are amazing.

I hate you. D:

Dark Lugia 2
06-09-11, 13:52
Amazing work!! It looks so traditional, like you used acrylics even though its digital (I think all of them are) such a good style. Love that you paint on top of screenshots in some, an original idea that works well.

Munin Raven
11-09-11, 16:38
Thanks folks for the encouragement. :tmb:

I feel having game Lara's legs in the pic ruins it a little...
Looking back, I think you're right. Good call. :)

Here's another one of MissLaraCroft in cosplay.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0107TR_port2S.jpg

Munin Raven
18-09-11, 16:12
As some of you were kind enough to express interest in tutorials, I thought I'd give it a shot. However, having said that, this is not exactly a tutorial as such, but rather some general notes on how I went about creating the following speedpaint. Whether I'm doing a quick study from observation, a scene from imagination, thumbnails, or just throwing down strokes and looking for interesting forms to develop, I tend to work in roughly the same way.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0108_gullA.jpg

I wanted to keep the session between 1h - 1h30m, so I chose to paint a seagull. The forms of birds provide an interesting combination of rounded and angular shapes, and are fairly simple to paint in a quick manner. I began by blocking in the whole composition, focusing on getting the main elements and forms fairly close to what they should be, and paying attention to my overall values. I used the standard hard round brush (the venerable work horse) and a nice fat custom chalk brush to sculpt shapes, (cutting and carving) and worked on a single layer to compliment a more traditional approach that I use most often.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0108_gullB.jpg

With all the base elements down I start building up suggestive texture. I began layering strokes on top of each other - not being too fussy about how they fall, and generally working in a way that invites happy accidents. I constantly switched between my main chalk brush and a selection of grass-like custom strand brushes. These are great for suggestion and have a surprisingly wide range of uses. I started defining the plumage of the gull, working up the main masses, and still keeping things fairly loose and suggestive. I then stopped and sat back for a few minutes, zooming in and out of the canvas and flipping it horizontally. This is a good thing to do from time to time during the course of a painting. It helps to keep your eyes fresh so you are more likely to spot potential problems, and things that might need changing.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0108_gullC.jpg

After reviewing the painting from a thumbnail perspective (zoomed right out) I realised the dark mass of scrub in the upper right just wasn't working. It drew the eye too much and the dark mass created an odd balance within the composition, so I painted over it and generally toned things down to push the contrast between the background and the mid-ground. I laid down a few big grass strokes in the foreground to create overlapping elements and help further ground the gull within the frame. At this point I was looking at wrapping things up.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0108_gullD.jpg

To finish things off, I touched up the gulls head and breast, and picked at the ground shadow to set it off a little better. These two areas are the main focus of the painting and maintain the biggest contrast, so a little bit more time was spent polishing them up. A dozen or so more strokes here and there and I called it a day as I had already gone over my allotted time.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0108_gullfin.jpg

So there you have it. A nice little speedpaint of a seagull that took just under two hours, and was a fun exercises. The rugged coastal grass provided plenty of energetic scribbling, which I am very fond of, and the gull proved to be a rather rewarding subject. I had a little trouble with the background, and if I ever revisit the canvas I'll probably move the whole frame a little to the left, but overall I am pleased with the outcome.

Hope my notes were of interest to some of you. :)

Quasimodo
18-09-11, 16:30
Thank you for the excellent tutorial! I've been working toward using fewer layers in my digital work. It still seems a little scary to work with just one layer. Something that really draws my eye with this piece is the subtle use of color - all the different olive greens, orange, and rust :tmb:

Munin Raven
03-10-11, 15:33
Thanks, Quasi'. :)

...I've been working toward using fewer layers in my digital work. It still seems a little scary to work with just one layer.

Using minimal layers just happens to suit my way of working, most of the time. It's also a good method if you want to get yourself into the habit of ironing out all (or most) potential problems at the preliminary stages, and building brush confidence. But when things are more complex, I use layers just as much as the next man, or woman. After all, the tools are there to be used. :)

It's good to hear you are trying to minimise layer use - I've found it very helpful in cutting down bad (digital) habits and generally strengthening my skill base, but I wouldn't beat myself up over it. Haha. :D

young Lara Croft
03-10-11, 17:31
Beautiful! It looks like oil pastel drawing or something like that :eek:

Your_Envy*
03-10-11, 19:41
This is beautiful! I love everything, especially your style and details! You're so talented, I can't even pick my favorite one. HOW CAN YOU DO THIS? It's pure magic. :cln:

sierra xb
04-10-11, 00:45
Raven, you are wayyy too modest...those "scribbles" are just amazing!!

tampi
04-10-11, 13:23
Thank by this excellent thread Munin Raven:tmb:

xlocke
04-10-11, 20:38
OMG!! :cln:

This is Awesome!! :yik: :yik:

Lara_Zoz2006
08-10-11, 07:52
Stunning :cln: your work just blows me away every time.

Csn i ask what brush sets you use or if they are custom how you made them or if we can be cheeky and nick them hehe your textures are just beautiful :hug:

EvilSockOfDoom
10-10-11, 18:40
Wow, your artwork is amazing~ I really love how the screenshots are incorporated in the art, it makes it much more interesting in my opinion.
Thanks so much for sharing it :)

Munin Raven
20-11-11, 01:45
I'm not the most regular of users here, but I do very much appreciate your kind words and interest in my scribbles. Appreciated. :)

Csn i ask what brush sets you use or if they are custom how you made them or if we can be cheeky and nick them hehe your textures are just beautiful :hug:

I use a mixture of basic PS brushes, custom brushes I've taken a shine to, and my own brushes that I've nurtured to complement my general technique, or to combat a particular task. I have two basic sets that perform all the tasks I need for painting quickly on my netbook - alla prima, speedpainting, thumbnails etc... I tend to use most of the same brushes for my regular work as I do for my speedpaint stuff... the line has been blurred too much. Hehe.

There's plently of tutorials out there if you want to explore custom brushes, so I'll refrain from adding to the pile. I'll be happy to post my regular set for you and anyone else who is interested. I'll try to do so in the next few days. My secondary set still needs some trimming and refining before I arrive at a tight and consummate selection. I'll upload them sometime in the future.

Anyway, thanks again for the interest, folks. I need to get back to playing TR3 sometime soon. -_-

just*raidin*tomb
20-11-11, 02:01
Damn, you make me want to get back into digital art. Have you taken any classes?

Ugh, I'm so jelly.

Munin Raven
22-11-11, 22:16
Have you taken any classes?

Cheers. No, I haven't taken any classes, apart from compulsory A-Level Art during secondary school. Haha... my course work was non existent! :D

Anyway, as promised, here's my primary set of speedpaint brushes. It's megaupload and roughly 19meg. I've embeded a virus in it that turns all your paintings into awesome pictures of dung beetles when you save. But hey, that's pretty cool... right?
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/Munin_Speedpaint2A.jpg

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VN7LUG7D

Seriously though, I hope you find the set useful. Most of the brushes are custom own, but there's a few from Barontieri in there. Props due.

Anyway, have fun. *

I'm still refining a few other smaller addon sets that I drop in when I'm painting plein-air. Trying to cull all the fat and keep things tight and useful. I'll upload once I reach a nice mini twin set.

*Go on, paint me some dung beetles. You know it's the right thing to do. ;)

Munin Raven
07-07-12, 18:07
Long time no TR painting. Unfortunately I've been very busy, but here's a little something I thrashed out this afternoon...

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0126_TombRaider-JungleBoogie.jpg

I though it kind of complimented this other one I did... :)

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0091trenv.jpg

Soul
07-07-12, 18:19
Holy ****. This is beyond epic. Thanks for providing my new background. :yik:

domina
07-07-12, 18:30
Absolutely phenomenal work!

klona
07-07-12, 18:41
Flawless. :eek:

larafan25
07-07-12, 18:42
My God, so amazing! So much detail and texture!

tampi
07-07-12, 18:44
A few minutes ago I watched a report about Angkor Wat on TV.
So much art in these drawings.

Quasimodo
07-07-12, 19:09
Hello, new desktop! Thank you for sharing your wonderful art with us - it's brightened up my day :)

Zebra
07-07-12, 19:12
WOW! That's amazing! I love the colours and the lighting and well...everything. *speechless*

Cheers. No, I haven't taken any classes, apart from compulsory A-Level Art during secondary school. Haha... my course work was non existent! :D

Anyway, as promised, here's my primary set of speedpaint brushes. It's megaupload and roughly 19meg. I've embeded a virus in it that turns all your paintings into awesome pictures of dung beetles when you save. But hey, that's pretty cool... right?
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/Munin_Speedpaint2A.jpg

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VN7LUG7D

Seriously though, I hope you find the set useful. Most of the brushes are custom own, but there's a few from Barontieri in there. Props due.

Anyway, have fun. *

I'm still refining a few other smaller addon sets that I drop in when I'm painting plein-air. Trying to cull all the fat and keep things tight and useful. I'll upload once I reach a nice mini twin set.

*Go on, paint me some dung beetles. You know it's the right thing to do. ;)

The link is dead...could you please reupload it :o?

Lara_Zoz2006
07-07-12, 19:58
Oh yes please can you upload again :jmp:

Killercowz
07-07-12, 20:40
Oh my goodness. :eek:

I wish I could paint like you. Goodness gravy did you use reference?

Munin Raven
08-07-12, 14:45
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Very much appreciated. :)

The link is dead...could you please reupload it :o?

Ahh, trust me to pick a site that gets taken down shortly after. I'll look into uploading my brush set somewhere else. Any suggestions?

...did you use reference?

Yes, I had my "jungle" reference folder open the whole time. ;)

Zebra
08-07-12, 16:37
MediaFire is pretty good but I think you have to register to upload things there. Maybe RapidShare?

b.gluch
08-07-12, 16:47
wow. I'm stunned by your art! its beautiful!

do you have this one (http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0094TR_guideSM.jpg) in a bigger size ?

Lukass
09-07-12, 06:53
Wow, wow, wow!

More please! More!

:eek:

Munin Raven
15-07-12, 17:15
Again, I appreciate your encouragement folks.

b.gluch: Usually I don't save speedpaints as .psd files, so they are saved at half size for most of the TR stuff. Sorry.

Okay, for those interested, I've uploaded my latest core set of speedpainting brushes (link below).

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/speedpaint_brushes.jpg

The following speedpaint is a quick example I knocked up to show how the different brushes can be used together to create abstract interest, quickly suggest different materials and detail, create soft/hard edge balance etc... I think I ended up using at least half the brushes in the set at one point or another.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0127A.jpg

Oh, and thanks to Zebra for suggesting Mediafire. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?f7cciq6xrei7td1

Munin Raven
26-06-13, 17:24
As usual, long time no TR scribbles. :( I've got a few environments and other bits & bobs to post once I get my other HD back, but here's a cosplay portrait of Lena Lara that I promised her an embarrassingly long time ago...

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0141_Tomb_Raider_Cosplay_Portrait_SM_By_Munin_zps3 c363cf8.jpg (http://s334.photobucket.com/user/muninart/media/Speedpaint/0141_Tomb_Raider_Cosplay_Portrait_SM_By_Munin_zps3 c363cf8.jpg.html)

Formal crop...

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0141_Tomb_Raider_Cosplay_Portrait_SMCrop_By_Munin_ zps2a29b372.jpg (http://s334.photobucket.com/user/muninart/media/Speedpaint/0141_Tomb_Raider_Cosplay_Portrait_SMCrop_By_Munin_ zps2a29b372.jpg.html)

So some more enviro' stuff to follow shortly.

Regards

larafan25
26-06-13, 17:33
I've officially been inspired to paint once again. This is so beautiful!

bagas
27-06-13, 05:52
So beautiful :'), you're very talented and btw i downloaded your brush set, thank you for sharing your brushes :D

Soul
27-06-13, 09:07
I missed your paintings - great to see you're back, as you really have a unique style! Your picture of Thailand has been my wallpaper for quite some time :tmb:

young Lara Croft
27-06-13, 09:59
nice technique Munin :tmb:
how about a TR2013 painting?

peeves
27-06-13, 11:03
Nice work on your art Munin! :tmb:

Munin Raven
26-12-13, 23:24
I've officially been inspired to paint once again...

Wowser... can't ask for a bigger compliment than that. I'm a little late, but I hope you're enjoying some form of creativity. I note you like a little TRLE fun. :)

Bagas: No problem. Hope you find use for the brushes. :tmb:

Soul: Thank you so much for such a warm and encouraging response. I'm a little sporadic when it comes to these forums, so it feels nice that my paintings are missed by at least one person in this sub forum.

Young Lara Croft: Cheers. You've always been very supportive, and I really appreciate that. :hug: Hmm... Not sure about some fan art for the newest game. It's odd, because I even downloaded it during the Autumn 'Steam' sale, but have only played a tiny bit. Right now I'm just enjoying some time revisiting TR1, and that probably says more about me than the new incarnation. What can I say... give it time... I may find my voice with TRO. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I'm hoping you are all enjoying a happy and productive holiday. I tend to just enjoy the time off and embrace a little of the oldschool. My Christmas is usually all about drinks with friends, a little Dickensian ghost story reading, protracted listening of tunes, and watching old movies (a little James Stewart goes a long way, in these dark and cynical times :) ). It's also nice to get a little free time to paint whatever the hell I want, and with my head currently giddy with oldschool nostalgia; I figured another stint of original raiding and painting is the right thing to do. Hopefully a few more will follow before I'm forced back to real work, but here, at least, is one update for this thread (shout out to Elan Mart)....

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0146_Tomb_Raider_Oldschool_By_Munin_zps167cd6af.jp g (http://s334.photobucket.com/user/muninart/media/Speedpaint/0146_Tomb_Raider_Oldschool_By_Munin_zps167cd6af.jp g.html)

Wishing everyone a very nostalgic (and hopefully oldschool) raiding experience going into 2014. It's that time of year where you should look back and embrace your roots, folks! ;) :)

Edit: Not sure what Photobucket's new rules imply, but I guess you have to keep things slim. :confused:

Andes
26-12-13, 23:49
WOW :cln:all your paintings are breathtaking!! I love your style, no time like the present to be introduced to your work. Thanks for posting them :)

Munin Raven
28-12-13, 13:14
Thanks for the encouragement, Andes. :tmb:

Some further dabblings with the last canvas. Hopefully a little more visually interesting...

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0146a_Tomb_Raider_KittyBang_By_Munin_zpsf0a73e6f.j pg~original (http://s334.photobucket.com/user/muninart/media/Speedpaint/0146a_Tomb_Raider_KittyBang_By_Munin_zpsf0a73e6f.j pg.html)

larafan25
28-12-13, 22:57
I like how amazing the painting is, yet... like... you painted Lara over a screenshot and then thought later, "well let's just put a lion here" as if it's a doodle. :D

I love tha shape and reflective qualities of the gun. This has probably been said before, but it really feels like you've used actual paint, with all of the texture and heaviness.

Munin Raven
06-01-14, 19:06
Larafan: Many thanks for your kind words. I guess you hit the nail on the head regarding the above composition. It certainly needed something, and while it wasn't exactly a 'doodle', it was was pretty much quick and dirty, haha. Sometimes they work best, and a few brush strokes just inform the whole image. Always fun. :)

Ahem. I was meant to post some TR environments over the holiday, but for some reason I got sucked into making textures and messing around with the ancient level editor. I'm an idiot for doing so, I know that much. I don't have time for this crap in my life. :confused:

peeves
14-01-14, 11:57
Those paintings look really breathtaking. :D

Munin Raven
17-01-14, 17:53
Many thanks, Peeves. :)

young Lara Croft
18-01-14, 05:14
Ahem. I was meant to post some TR environments over the holiday, but for some reason I got sucked into making textures and messing around with the ancient level editor. I'm an idiot for doing so, I know that much. I don't have time for this crap in my life. :confused:

I would like to see some environments :tmb:
Tried to build a level this January too, lasted only around two hours! Started raising squares, textured some of them, struggled with the navigation keys then dropped the whole thing into oblivion :) it's a time waster, yet people do amazing stuff with it, like the Dracula levels that were released last year on TRLE, do you play custom levels when time permits?

Munin Raven
24-01-14, 23:04
I would like to see some environments :tmb:

I promise, on my honour, that the post after the next update will be environments all the way. :)

Tried to build a level this January too, lasted only around two hours! Started raising squares, textured some of them, struggled with the navigation keys then dropped the whole thing into oblivion :) it's a time waster...

For sure. I honestly half hate the whole damn thing, but also can't help but fall for it's quirky little ways. Not sure how to explain it. I should have just done a few custom levels about ten years ago - just to get this crap out of my system - but now I'm half stuck with warm nostalgic goo. It's not looking good. :( You had the right frame of mind from the start, you utterly enviable swine of a human being, haha... I possibly need a dose of your (obviously) more rational brain! :D

The weird thing is, I haven't even played any custom levels myself, to answer your closing question; I have little inclination to do so either. I just want to build stuff and texture it... I honestly don't know what any of this sudden urge is all about. Maybe I'm going through a mid-life crisis somewhat prematurely? Now that would be interesting! :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, here's a super quick speedpaint I did to warm myself up for other, non TR types of painty stuff...

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m433/muninart/Speedpaint/0147_Raider_Crap_zpsd11b451a.jpg~original (http://s334.photobucket.com/user/muninart/media/Speedpaint/0147_Raider_Crap_zpsd11b451a.jpg.html)

I've been playing (although now quit) the latest TR game for the first time. I did a few of the above quick sketches, and I was kind of struggling from the beginning, because there's just nothing there to start with. So note to self: Don't try to use a source that has little real personal meaning as a warm up exercise. ;)

Don't worry. The next update will be far more positive, and will hopefully answer the the questions of a few PM's that I've received. :)

peeves
25-01-14, 11:55
Nice job munin raven. I like that drawing. ;)

young Lara Croft
25-01-14, 12:26
looking at your latest speedpaint warmup thing makes me want to draw/paint Lara again, haven't done so in like 2 years(what the heck is wrong with me? I used to love doing that stuff) .... but hardly anyone here on TRF comments on one's personal art threads anymore, that's the reason I gave up posting my stuff here...

Munin Raven
27-01-14, 18:20
...makes me want to draw/paint Lara again ...but hardly anyone here on TRF comments on one's personal art threads anymore, that's the reason I gave up posting my stuff here...

Bah... forget about the comments. Get scribbling and start posting stuff. That's what counts. :) Can't have a topic on how to revive the art forum if people are not going to post because they don't get feedback. That seems very reductive. Gotta be a bit more proactive here and create the environment you wish for. I promise I'll comment on anything you post, if that helps, but seriously; get scribbling! :tmb:

young Lara Croft
28-01-14, 07:12
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker%2FjZbkJT4JRCmfA4yLqzmQ_Dem-White-Flag.jpg

OK, I'll post something in the artists thread, don't want to barge into your thread.

SebCroc
28-01-14, 09:03
Amazing :tmb: I can't put my admiration of your skills into any sort of legible words. They're just so depressingly... Um... *looks through thesaurus to find good synonym for amazing* unbelievable? Ok, I'll go with that one. Seriously, how did you come to be so professionally good with this? The style itself is pure eye candy and composition looks so inspired. I completely lack the confidence to even try with all the discouragement I get.

Munin Raven
07-04-14, 21:51
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/filepicker%2FjZbkJT4JRCmfA4yLqzmQ_Dem-White-Flag.jpg

OK, I'll post something....

Hahaha... You sure did! That's not so much a white flag as it is a flag planted with gusto to claim land. I'm loving your recent burst of activity, and feel somewhat jealous towards your creative incentive. I hope you keep it up for a decent while. :tmb:

SebCroc: You are far too kind. I appreciate any remarks on composition in particular. Thank you! :)

Trenton
07-04-14, 22:23
Just looked through your thread and was blown away! Awesome work Munin Raven! :D