PDA

View Full Version : Driving Lights

PSone
07-02-05, 08:36
Maybe it's just me????
Item 1:
I have noticed over the last 6 months while driving at night that alot of cars seem to have these lights that change colour at certain angles (or maybe they are on a time delay?)

I find this quite irritating... I am driving back from the Gold Coast, and all of a sudden there is a bright blue light shining in all my mirrors. This comes from all sorts of cars, so it isn't just one make or model.

Is there some sort of new 'globe' they put in new cars that I am unaware of? If there is I think it should be outlawed because it makes concentrating on the road very difficult when a blinding, constantly changing light is beaming behind me.

Item 2:
People driving in broad daylight with their lights ON.
I usually see this in cars that are generally driven by morons... commodores, falcons, general cheap cars that you can chuck a sports kit on...
Is there a reason behind this? Why do they feel the need to drive with their lights on during the day? Are there sunglasses too dark? Car tint too dark?

Tramp
07-02-05, 08:48
My Dad's new Statesman has a new type of light that goes round corners. (Seriously) I know there is a new type of globe (well not new) but you can now put it into some of the older cars. At least I know you can for Subaru's. Saw it in the Spare Parts Department at the Dealership. But then Subaru's are clever they don't make their headlights sealed units, you can actually replace the globe not the whole light.

I agree re Holdens and Fords. If I won one in a raffle it would be sold so quick it would leave tread marks on the road. (I worked in the car industry for nearly 20 years including Holden & Ford)

Smith will Suffice
07-02-05, 18:33
Originally posted by PSone:

Item 2:
I usually see this in cars that are generally driven by morons... commodores, falcons, general cheap cars that you can chuck a sports kit on...
Is there a reason behind this? Why do they feel the need to drive with their lights on during the day? Are there sunglasses too dark? Car tint too dark? in terms of ur item # 2,

tests and studies have proven that lights on in the daytime prevent more accidents and make cars easier to see.

-Smith

PSone
07-02-05, 19:16
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by PSone:

Item 2:
Is there a reason behind this? Why do they feel the need to drive with their lights on during the day? Are there sunglasses too dark? Car tint too dark? in terms of ur item # 2,

tests and studies have proven that lights on in the daytime prevent more accidents and make cars easier to see.

-Smith </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, I understand this - when working opn site we had white vehicles and were required to drive with our lights on (on the dirt tracks) - to improve visibility.
But I think a bright orange, green or red commodore driving down the pacific motorway is easy enough to see...

Neteru
07-02-05, 21:24
Some makes of cars are made so that the lights come on when you start the engine. You can't turn them off. I remember Volvo used to be like that right from the 1970's.

laracroft8290
07-02-05, 21:40
Xenon...I think that's what it's called...They put them in the newest cars here, they are much brighter and have a blue tint to them. They are a bit annoying because they cause more temporary blindness than normal.

Tramp
07-02-05, 21:47
Thats right Laracroft8290. Well Subaru has the Xenon globes available in their spare parts department and you can replace your normal globes with them. They are very bright but I have noticed that it is only when some idiot has them on high beam and doesn't dim them that I really have a problem. Particularly when they are driving behind you and you cop them in the rear view mirrors. My Subaru has driving lights so I really don't need them.

tazmine
07-02-05, 22:45
1. The Xenon lights are , I agree, most annoying.

2. Here in Canada, we are encouraged to drive with our lights on in the daytime. In fact, most new cars here have lights on all the time. Studies have proven you can see cars better when their lights are on & there are fewer accidents.

croft28
07-02-05, 22:51
Driving with lights on during the day?......surely the SUNLIGHT is enough to see what your doing.

andromeda_eats
08-02-05, 06:22
Remember we are Aussies, Croft. Out of all the countries I have been to across the world, Australia is by far the brightest in terms of sunlight. We have a less polluted atmosphere and it is sunny most of the year. Its dark and cold where Taz is from.
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif