PDA

View Full Version : When your pets pass away

Encore
18-04-11, 00:31
More than one person has told me that they found themselves unable to have any more pets after the pain of losing one they loved for many years.
Do you think this is true, from your experience?

I've had 3 cats, and one of them (the oldest) died some years ago, but I had the other 2 and somehow that made things better. Now, one of the 2 left is very sick and most likely will pass away this year. I've always said I'd immediately get a new kitten if I lost mine, but now, dealing with the prolonged illness of this one, I'm starting to understand why those people said what they did. When the last of my cats dies, I'm not sure I'll want to go through it all again.

What do you think?

Mad Tony
18-04-11, 00:33
It's better to have loved and lost to have never loved at all.

xXhayleyroxXx
18-04-11, 00:34
I'm able to have pets afterwards but I haven't forgotton a single one -- and I've had many. And every time one leaves me, a part of me goes missing and nothing can fill that place again.
I still miss Jobi and Goober most :( I still cry about them.

^ That's very true.

patriots88888
18-04-11, 00:39
I'm able to have pets afterwards but I haven't forgotton a single one -- and I've had many. And every time one leaves me, a part of me goes missing and nothing can fill that place again.
I still miss Jobi and Goober most :( I still cry about them.

Yea, pretty much this!

I've never seen getting/having a new pet as a replacement, for myself it is more as gaining another companion. It's not something that happens overnight either (for myself, that is), it does take some time.

larafan25
18-04-11, 00:45
My dog died last summer of some sort of Cancer (I think it was, there was a tumor). I felt terrible because I had noticed something on her side was bulging out quite some time before we got it diagnosed, it was on her apendix...or splean. Damn I can't remember.I just remember she had a very hard time walking and one night she just couldn't get up the stairs from our basement (the cold laundry part) so we tried to make her comfortable there. She passed away that night.

Apparently you poop when you die. I found her at 6:00 in the morning because this was the time of the summer in which I stayed up every night in fear of being abducted by aliens. So I was up early. She was crying a lot that night. My mom got her cleaned up before my sister came home, when my sister went to see the body and say goodbye she was petting her tail and hugging her bum.

I didn't tell her right away that she had pooped herself (quite wet) when she went.

Lemmie
18-04-11, 00:47
I think I'm fairly unsentimental about death, human or animal. I mean, I've seen that it's sad, and I've been sad for other people, but I haven't been too torn up about it personally.

Based on the pets we had as children, I just reflect that they had a happy, comfortable life with lots of love and care, and so I wouldn't be averse to getting new ones and enjoying life with them too.

Having said that, I'm sorry your cat's so ill. :(

xXhayleyroxXx
18-04-11, 00:49
Yea, pretty much this!

I've never seen getting/having a new pet as a replacement, for myself it is more as gaining another companion. It's not something that happens overnight either (for myself, that is), it does take some time.

:hug:

Apparently you poop when you die.

All the fluids leak from the body when rigormortis sets in x

Paddy
18-04-11, 00:53
Ive had 2 cats die in the past, on my 3rd now after 10 years.
The 2 were still kittens when they died, the second was due to RSPCA negligence which pisses me off to this day.
It saddens me more that my 2 cats in the past died due to not getting to live a full life, both died as kittens, first one got ran over.
I think given this cat now has gone for over 10 years thus far it would be harder for me to have a new cat after.

Endow
18-04-11, 00:59

Summers
18-04-11, 01:00
nothingtoseehere

IceColdLaraCroft
18-04-11, 01:14
More than one person has told me that they found themselves unable to have any more pets after the pain of losing one they loved for many years.
Do you think this is true, from your experience?

I've had 3 cats, and one of them (the oldest) died some years ago, but I had the other 2 and somehow that made things better. Now, one of the 2 left is very sick and most likely will pass away this year. I've always said I'd immediately get a new kitten if I lost mine, but now, dealing with the prolonged illness of this one, I'm starting to understand why those people said what they did. When the last of my cats dies, I'm not sure I'll want to go through it all again.

What do you think?

You'll miss having a cat. You never forget the ones that pass away, but when you see a kitten playing or doing something cute you'll want one.

I'm not the type to believe in ghosts, but when it's calm at night I swear I can feel the weight of my cat's paws as if he's walking on my bed.

Lara's Nemesis
18-04-11, 01:31
One of my friends took in a stray cat over 10 years ago. She was a cranky bugger but still very loveable all the same.

He had to get her (Flop) put down about a year ago. :(:( Was one of the most difficult decisions he has had to make in his life.

I think the unconditional love a pet has for it's owner makes it harder for us. You can come in from a hard day at work or whatever and your pet will put a smile on your face.

My friend has not got another cat yet, not sure if he ever will either.

Encore
18-04-11, 01:36
All I can say, is I don't think getting new kittens is solving anything.

I understand the rest of your post, but not this part? Why do you think it's not solving anything? Are you saying there's something fundamentally wrong in getting attached to any pet in the first place?

(I'm genuinely trying to understand btw, not disagreeing)

I think the unconditional love a pet has for it's owner makes it harder for us.

You nailed it here.
It's been pretty hard for me dealing with the fact that even though he's really sick, my cat still has his routine of purring for us and getting us to hug him and even, when he's feeling better, play with him. It's pretty heartbreaking.

Lara's Nemesis
18-04-11, 01:43
I understand the rest of your post, but not this part? Why do you think it's not solving anything? Are you saying there's something fundamentally wrong in getting attached to any pet in the first place?

You nailed it here.
It's been pretty hard for me dealing with the fact that even though he's really sick, my cat still has his routine of purring for us and getting us to hug him and even, when he's feeling better, play with him. It's pretty heartbreaking.

Really sorry to heat that Encore :hug: Losing a pet is really difficult, I'm sure you have helped to give him a really good life tho.

Endow
18-04-11, 01:51
-

Paddy
18-04-11, 01:52

You nailed it here.
:hug: my second cat did the same, he was sick as a result of being overwormed, even in the pain he was in he still lied on my stomach purring, then had to have him put down the next day. Couldnt leave him in such pain.

amaris
18-04-11, 01:57
I have three dogs, all 4 and under, and I have never lost a pet of my own. My aunt, however has had several dogs, and all of them have died for some reason or another. none of them really affected me, till this last one, Chloe. I was so close to her, I was the one who found her as a puppy and said, "Can we keep her?" And she died a few months back. :( I cried for days over her, and if my aunt gets another dog, great. :o I don't know what it's like to loose one of my own "babies" though. (And I don't want to any time soon!)

irjudd
18-04-11, 02:00
I had one cat that I loved like a brother. He'd been my best pal since I was a kid, 14 years total. He developed cancer and I had to choose to euthanize him two years ago, and I haven't been able to really care about another animal since. We still have 2 other cats and a dog, but they are just animals to me now. It was like killing a close, close friend. My personality changed that night.

igonge
18-04-11, 02:07
I've never had a pet die of an illness, my cats seem to get really old. I've had 2 cats die of old age in my family, both very sad. My first cat died when she was 16 and my second cat died when she was 19. I have 3 Cats at the moment, Sophie aged 1, Simon aged 8 and Taylor aged 19. Our 19 year old is still very healthy, she still runs about daft with toys and outside like she was still young.

Eddie Haskell
18-04-11, 02:08
In my life I have had 5 dogs. All lived over the age of 11 (one to 16), and I cried when every one of them was put to sleep. The unconditional love of a dog is a major part of the joy of having them. As some have said, they bring you immense contentment. The pain of their passing was crushing each and every time that I had to walk out of that vets office after making that final decision.

After my dog Bandit died (#3), I said that I would never get another dog again. He was my ever present companion when I was in my 20's, and he was the greatest dog ever. But just a year later, my girlfriend at the time picked up a stray puppy. She couldn't keep him, and I reluctantly said ok that I'd "try him out". Well, in just a few short days this little guy filled that void in my life, and although he wasn't Bandit, he turned out to be a fine and loving dog just the same. And again in 14 years, the unbearable and painful visit to the vets.

And just 16 years ago I got a new puppy we named Smokey (a chow/lab mix) and he was a wonderful dog as well. And then last year I had to put him to sleep as well. We do not have a new dog yet, but eventually we will. I look at it this way. I can provide a loving and caring home for a good dog. I'd rather have it in my care than perhaps with another who may abuse him. So that's how I see it now.

And I remember a saying that someone told me years ago. It was something like "God made one mistake, he didn't make the dog live as long as the man". :(

Shark_Blade
18-04-11, 02:10
It's better to have loved and lost to have never loved at all.Yes, pretty much this. Never stop loving.

Lara's Nemesis
18-04-11, 02:13
Good post Eddie Haskel, especially the last sentence. :(

Encore
18-04-11, 02:21
In my life I have had 5 dogs. All lived over the age of 11 (one to 16), and I cried when every one of them was put to sleep. The unconditional love of a dog is a major part of the joy of having them. As some have said, they bring you immense contentment. The pain of their passing was crushing each and every time that I had to walk out of that vets office after making that final decision.

After my dog Bandit died (#3), I said that I would never get another dog again. He was my ever present companion when I was in my 20's, and he was the greatest dog ever. But just a year later, my girlfriend at the time picked up a stray puppy. She couldn't keep him, and I reluctantly said ok that I'd "try him out". Well, in just a few short days this little guy filled that void in my life, and although he wasn't Bandit, he turned out to be a fine and loving dog just the same. And again in 14 years, the unbearable and painful visit to the vets.

And just 16 years ago I got a new puppy we named Smokey (a chow/lab mix) and he was a wonderful dog as well. And then last year I had to put him to sleep as well. We do not have a new dog yet, but eventually we will. I look at it this way. I can provide a loving and caring home for a good dog. I'd rather have it in my care than perhaps with another who may abuse him. So that's how I see it now.

And I remember a saying that someone told me years ago. It was something like "God made one mistake, he didn't make the dog live as long as the man". :(

I guess this kinda ties in with what Endow is saying. If you just accept the fact that they will inevitably die and you will inevitably have to face that kind of grief, then you realize that it's compensated by the great times you still got to spend with your pet.

Eddie Haskell
18-04-11, 02:48
I guess this kinda ties in with what Endow is saying. If you just accept the fact that they will inevitably die and you will inevitably have to face that kind of grief, then you realize that it's compensated by the great times you still got to spend with your pet.

Yeah, time heals all wounds for the most part. And when you look back on that particular dog, you remember his life much more than his death. All of the good times, all of the humorous moments, all of the fun and wonderful moments that you had together. :)

Ikas90
18-04-11, 04:14
It's better to have loved and lost to have never loved at all.

Good saying.

I've always been afraid of losing what I love though. It's one thing that has made me hesitant to get pets for myself. Stupid reason, I know - But I'm not saying I wouldn't ever get any pets because of it.

Dennis's Mom
18-04-11, 11:52
My dad once told me that the biggest drawback of having a long life span is you have to bury a lot of pets.

I can't imagine life without pets. I've always had them. It hurts when they died, but that's nature.

Now, my dad has a Quaker parrot named Caruso, but usually referred to as "Noisy ****er." That bird better hope he dies before dad. That's all I'm saying.

cezy rockeru
18-04-11, 14:05
When my hamster died I promised myself I wouldn't have anither pet for at least one year,to let the sadness go.

Mikky
18-04-11, 15:21
If my cat died (touch wood), I wouldn't get another one. Not because I wouldn't want to, I mean, I certainly wouldn't mind getting another one, but probably because I wouldn't be able to afford another one. :p

But my Chanina will never be taken away from me!!! NEVER!!!! :mad:

Underworld2008
18-04-11, 15:25
I couldn't replace Ruby or Milly (the family dogs) EVER. They're seriously amazing. I've had Ruby since she was born, as a result of my mum wanting to cheer me up because I was being bullied. Nearly 4 years on, she's just perfect. If Milly passed away, Ruby would be heart broken, because she depends on her so much...from Day 1, Milly has been like a mother to her xD Teaching her etc AND Ruby sleeps on her belly...but yeah, I couldn't replace them, at least, not til I have a family of my own....but I'd never forget them, EVER.

star-dust
19-04-11, 00:01
I had a cat named Queenie and she was hit by a car almost 4 years ago now. My mom told me I could get another cat when ever I wanted and I just didn't want one afterwards. It was almost 2 years ago now I walked into a pet store and saw my cat that I have now and just knew she was the one. I think it was fate, I actually left the store and then went back to get her. So I think it takes time to get over a pets death and to just remember that you can never replace the animal that you have lost. Cherish those memories. I still cry when I think about her sometimes. :)

IceColdLaraCroft
19-04-11, 00:06
You nailed it here.

Cats will purr to sooth themselves when they're in pain and seek comfort.

What I love about cats is that they never really mentally "mature" they imprint on humans as a "mommy cat" and never really grow out of that.

I think if you have love to give to a pet why deny that place in your heart?

How are you ever supposed to become this:

http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/d/d1/Crazycatlady.jpg

if you never have a cat again? :o

Aphrodite22
19-04-11, 00:10
ive had 2 dogs, one when i was little which i dont remember much and another one when i was like 7.

it lived 4 years, was killed by another big dog and i felt horrible, ..

But i prefer having one knowing that later i will have to suffer its loss than not having one..

Love2Raid
19-04-11, 00:16
Iīve never had a pet, but I think I would feel really bad about it if I had one and it died. :/
Depends on the kind of pet of course. I mean a fish, yeah, thatīs different than a dog or a horse. :o