PDA

View Full Version : Harajuku Barbie - Nicki Minaj Portrait

Naz2000
19-04-11, 13:00
Here is my second portrait of Nicki Minaj from her Pink Friday album, I find it's always fun to draw her because she always has an interesting look! Let me know your thoughts on it :tmb:

I'll be uploading a proper scan soon!

http://i52.************/2e58ghe.jpg

Larger version here - http://un-willing.deviantart.com/art/Harajuku-Barbie-205417478

cezy rockeru
19-04-11, 14:17
The portrait is perfectly done! :D

scoopy_loopy
19-04-11, 14:50
Where did the name "Harajuku Barbie" come from? In the video I saw of hers she seemed really into Korea(n)..? *scratches head*

Anyway, the art! I think you have immense talent and potential, the shading is awesome! Although, some of the proportions seem just a touch off. It's a little unflattering for Minaj. :o

Naz2000
19-04-11, 16:17
The portrait is perfectly done! :D

Thank-you very much! :)

Where did the name "Harajuku Barbie" come from? In the video I saw of hers she seemed really into Korea(n)..? *scratches head*

Anyway, the art! I think you have immense talent and potential, the shading is awesome! Although, some of the proportions seem just a touch off. It's a little unflattering for Minaj. :o

I'm not sure to be honest, I know that she often refers to herself as the Black Barbie understandably but I'm not sure about the Harajuku reference.

But thanks a lot I really appreciate it! Also would you be able to tell me which parts of the face are disproportional so that I could alter them if possible? Is it the face as a whole or certain facial features?

cezy rockeru
19-04-11, 16:18
^
Her head has a weird shape. :p

scoopy_loopy
19-04-11, 16:20
^
Harsh!

It's only slight, but it's just enough to make her look just a little unnatural. I can't be 100% certain (do you have a reference pic?), but let's say right cheek, left nostril area and chin for starters. I'm not totally sold on the bottom lip either.

Still loving the hair and everything else though, that must've taken ages!

Naz2000
19-04-11, 16:38
^ I noticed that the left (the viewers left) cheek is too filled out after finishing and I agree that the lips look off, I couldn't figure out what it was but I knew there was something not right with them. But thanks for informing me about the other things, this is my first portrait drawn straight from scratch without measuring or grids so I guess I'm just learning :) Here's the reference picture -

http://i53.************/2v1vjpz.jpg

P.S I definitely see the problems with the lips now that I look at the image, my printout was really bad quality to the point where I couldn't see where the shadow above the chin ended and the bottom of the lip began!

Autolycus
19-04-11, 21:39
That looks sensational you're very talented, love to see more :)

Rai
19-04-11, 21:40
That's pretty damn good! I can't see any 'flaws' in the drawing, but I don't have an artistic eye. Fab work! :D

TheRCroft
19-04-11, 21:56
Woah, that's awesome, so nicely done! Only the left cheek is a bit too big but, apart from that, fabulous work, congrats :D

Billy959
19-04-11, 22:29
I just Love nicki!
I love traditional art!
and I love what you've done there!

PURE EPICNESS!:jmp::jmp:

lord gaga
20-04-11, 00:08
Oh nicki i knew you are a barbie girl.

Naz2000
20-04-11, 00:42
That looks sensational you're very talented, love to see more :)

Thank-you so much!

That's pretty damn good! I can't see any 'flaws' in the drawing, but I don't have an artistic eye. Fab work! :D

Thanks Rai, I really appreciate it :)

Woah, that's awesome, so nicely done! Only the left cheek is a bit too big but, apart from that, fabulous work, congrats :D

Thank-you! :tmb: & yeah I agree with you on that

I just Love nicki!
I love traditional art!
and I love what you've done there!

PURE EPICNESS!:jmp::jmp:

Yeah I think she's great & I love traditional too. Thank-you very much! :)

leglion
20-04-11, 01:47

I believe she's mixed with korean?