PDA

View Full Version : cruel farming

ozzman
30-04-11, 23:15
a friend sent this to me and it's extremly horrible , i want to share it and hear your thoughts on it, it's extremly disturbing though, if it's too much for the forum, you can close the thread , but this is quite real.

http://vimeo.com/20656976

this guy is talking about this in his blog
jxHxFQC8FcM

i personally think it's highly wrong to torture animals, and that's exactly what these farmers are doing

xXhayleyroxXx
30-04-11, 23:17
Just what I needed :(

Yeah, I already knew all this and I'm proud to be vegetarian.

ozzman
30-04-11, 23:20
^ i like meat but this makes me sick, i may not eat any meat for quite some time, even though i really only eat meats my aunt's family raises,

xXhayleyroxXx
30-04-11, 23:22
^ i like meat but this makes me sick, i may not eat any meat for quite some time, even though i really only eat meats my aunt's family raises,

I used to like meat until I realised how imhumanely they kill the animals. If your aunt's family kills animals humanely and keeps her animals in DEFRA standard conditions, then good on her and you for eating welfare-raised produce.

ozzman
30-04-11, 23:24
she does, everything is clean and she sedates her animals before she kills them , and has a vet come in and do the castrations ext, and because of this, her product tasts good because the animals are cared for properly . i usually get salads and maybe a serving of chicken or shrimp for dinners at restaraunts .

xXhayleyroxXx
30-04-11, 23:32
she does, everything is clean and she sedates her animals before she kills them , and has a vet come in and do the castrations ext, and because of this, her product tasts good because the animals are cared for properly . i usually get salads and maybe a serving of chicken or shrimp for dinners at restaraunts .

Goodgood, that's humane. You put more effort in than most people :) :tmb:

Rai
30-04-11, 23:42
Unfortunately this is the result of mass need. How could anyone work in a place like that and as cruel as that is alone still do things like stomping on the animals beats me. I like meat, and I understand that animals are mass bred for the purpose of human consumption but the way in which the animals are treated is disgusting. I felt sick watching it. :(.

xXhayleyroxXx
30-04-11, 23:48
Unfortunately this is the result of mass need. How could anyone work in a place like that and as cruel as that is alone still do things like stomping on the animals beats me. I like meat, and I understand that animals are mass bred for the purpose of human consumption but the way in which the animals are treated is disgusting. I felt sick watching it. :(.

Which is why its good and so important that most supermarkets have now agreed to slaughterhouse CCTV :)

trXD
30-04-11, 23:57
I think I watched a video of that before and it literally ruined my entire night, not gonna watch that again.

I don't know what makes people think they can be psychotic to animals, they are not objects, they have brains and they live life.

ozzman
01-05-11, 00:01
the part that really disturbs me is the baby pig abuse, where they slammed the pigs on the ground , that's just wrong, how can people do such a thing

Dark Lugia 2
01-05-11, 00:09
I'll be honest, things like this put me off eating meat. But then I eat meat anyway... I suppose its selfish, to want meat to stay healthy easier. I'm sure a lot of the meat I eat hasnt come from the best sources... =/

xXhayleyroxXx
01-05-11, 00:12
I'll be honest, things like this put me off eating meat. But then I eat meat anyway... I suppose its selfish, to want meat to stay healthy easier. I'm sure a lot of the meat I eat hasnt come from the best sources... =/

Maybe try more humanely sourced meat? Surely a higher price and a bit of research is worth an animal's life being more happy?

robm_2007
01-05-11, 00:15
I didn't watch the video, but I'm certain that whatever meat I eat isn't real meat. As I have to eat from the school cafeteria.

Either way, if I could afford or have general knowledge to avoid eating from cruel farms, I would; but, I just buy whatever is in the supermarket (when I'm not at school), so if they are buying food from cruelty farms, then they should get a better supplier; one that doesn't be ****heads to the animals that will feed us.

Lukass
01-05-11, 00:48
I know it's happening, I know it is a hell on Earth for that poor animals...but God please forgive me, I feel like the biggest bitch on entire word that I am eating meat. I tried to be vegetarian, but I have no patience :( I feel so bad :(
Hopefully a bit of excuse is, that I am buying meat that comes from BioPharms only :(

trlestew
01-05-11, 00:55
I eat meat, and I'm not going to stop (Unless it all becomes genetically modified or fake etc.)
However, I do not condone ANY of the actions I have read described here. I'm too scared to even watch the video as it sounds absolutely terrible. I remember some even worse things in a similar thread. It's not right to do this at all. So what the animals will be killed for food? That doesn't mean you have to treat them terribly before their death! :mad: It probably might be why certain meats don't even taste great to begin with!

Encore
01-05-11, 01:06

I'm in the same situation. I don't think there's anything wrong with eating meat per se, but when I hear about cruel - and unnecessary - practices it makes me feel really bad, specially because as a consumer it is very hard for me to be sure that the meat I eat comes from a decent place with decent practices. Yes, when I'm at the supermarket I always choose certain labels that apparently guarantee it - but in reality, they can be lying and I wouldn't know.

Minty Mouth
01-05-11, 08:29
I hate videos like this because they are dishonest.

It's propaganda and they give no indication as to how prolific these practices are. We don't know how long these farms were observed and how frequently some of the more candid things happen. We don't know how many farms in the world operate in a similar fashion. It deliberately witholds information and asks us to make life changing decisions.

It irks me that people even feel the need to sensationalise this kind of thing. If your argument is sound, then people will listen regardless of how much emotive language and cherry picking of horrible events you do. Why would you want to base your relationship with the people you are trying to convince on a lie? If you're so sure you're right you shouldn't have a problem being up front and honest. These videos are not a representation of the meat industry as a whole.

!Lara Croft!
01-05-11, 09:24
I know it's happening, I know it is a hell on Earth for that poor animals...but God please forgive me, I feel like the biggest bitch on entire word that I am eating meat. I tried to be vegetarian, but I have no patience :( I feel so bad :(
Hopefully a bit of excuse is, that I am buying meat that comes from BioPharms only :(

Dont feel bad, we are designed to eat meat. God designed us to eat meat. We are supposed to eat meat. However we arent supposed to eat the AMOUNT of meat we do these days, and we were designed to hunt for it so the animal was free.

Jester Head
01-05-11, 09:25
I hate videos like this because they are dishonest.

It's propaganda and they give no indication as to how prolific these practices are. We don't know how long these farms were observed and how frequently some of the more candid things happen. We don't know how many farms in the world operate in a similar fashion. It deliberately witholds information and asks us to make life changing decisions.

It irks me that people even feel the need to sensationalise this kind of thing. If your argument is sound, then people will listen regardless of how much emotive language and cherry picking of horrible events you do. Why would you want to base your relationship with the people you are trying to convince on a lie? If you're so sure you're right you shouldn't have a problem being up front and honest. These videos are not a representation of the meat industry as a whole.

This. In fact, it ends with a propaganda message, so it loses a lot of credibility there.

I'm not saying these situations do not happen, they do. But, probably not as generalized as the video wants you to know. In fact, some of those situations were ridiculous, and were not very effective or quick, like the guy who threw the chicken into the container and failed, like, three times. Simply putting the animal there or throwing it with slowly would be much faster.

If you want to pass your point of view, do it with a reputable, neutral source. An advertising video by a vegan company is not a reputable source.

moodydog
01-05-11, 10:25
I have seen something like that before, it was disgusting to watch. The first time, It put me off meat for a few weeks.
My dad is ignorant to the fact he buys the cheapest food as possible, so I am sure that the meat I eat is considerably bad. But then, I choose not to eat at my dads, and would rather eat veg. at his house.

Though, I didn't like the fact that at the end of the video, the guy was like 'please try vegan'... I would have preffered him to say, 'please try aternative sources of meat where the animals are killed in humane ways and see a decent way of life'.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-05-11, 10:36
I have seen something like that before, it was disgusting to watch. The first time, It put me off meat for a few weeks.
My dad is ignorant to the fact he buys the cheapest food as possible, so I am sure that the meat I eat is considerably bad. But then, I choose not to eat at my dads, and would rather eat veg. at his house.

Though, I didn't like the fact that at the end of the video, the guy was like 'please try vegan'... I would have preffered him to say, 'please try aternative sources of meat where the animals are killed in humane ways and see a decent way of life'.

This -- I hate when people try guilt-trip other people into trying their diet -- I certainly don't do it. Personally, I don't really agree with the vegan lifestyle for myself as cows develop mastitis if not milked regularly, and yes, that is due to human intervention but by refusing to drink milk the cows would go to meat instead... and eating eggs is not eating baby chickens. The chickens used for egg production for consumption aren't kept near roosters to fertilise the eggs :/
But anyway, I respect some people here are vegan are care a great deal about animals :hug:
However -- I wish meat-eaters would take responsibility for the food they eat. It's all fine and well to blame it on the supermarket -- but why not do research and see who their suppliers are? Visit slaughterhouses for yourself? Buy welfare-raised food? :/

Your_Envy*
01-05-11, 10:41
We have farm, so I eat our chicken and turkey, I don't eat cow meat though (I am extremelly picky with meat :pi:) and that's about it. Sometimes we buy meat but it's usually Slovene and it has those stamps or whatever on it (can't remember the English word). I admit I should do more research on it, but I don't eat it that much. :o I was never huge fan of meat but sometimes it's so delicious, yum.
Our animals are always treated with love and respect, my mother loves her chickens, she runs in the middle of the night to check if they are okay and if the room is warm enough. :p

I didn't watch the video (yet), I will have lunch now. :pi:

moodydog
01-05-11, 11:00
At my old school, we were taught that animals that were killed in a kosher way were killed in the most humane way. Animals are said to be turned upside down, and their blood vessels slpit with a very sharp knife within a fraction of a second, which stops blood supply to the brain. This instantaniously makes the animal loose conciousness without pain and dies.

^ I really dont know if I believe this anymore, but if Jewish people are shoving this down their kids throats, why would they lie about it. :o
Though if it were true, then I would say it is a humane way, if the animal doesn't feel it. But I have a strong feeling, and from a few sources I have read, that this is not the case.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-05-11, 11:02
At my old school, we were taught that animals that were killed in a kosher way were killed in the most humane way. Animals are said to be turned upside down, and their blood vessels slpit with a very sharp knife within a fraction of a second, which stops blood supply to the brain. This instantaniously makes the animal loose conciousness without pain and dies.

^ I really dont know if I believe this anymore, but if Jewish people are shoving this down their kids throats, why would they lie about it. :o
Though if it were true, then I would say it is a humane way, if the animal doesn't feel it. But I have a strong feeling, and from a few sources I have read, that this is not the case.

:rolleyes: No. Apparently draining their blood makes it 'cleaner'. That is false. Why can't they stun them beforehand? Without a legit reason as to why they don't do that, I won't believe it or think it's right.

moodydog
01-05-11, 11:06
:rolleyes: No. Apparently draining their blood makes it 'cleaner'. That is false. Why can't they stun them beforehand? Without a legit reason as to why they don't do that, I won't believe it or think it's right.

religeon :o It pretty much dictates everything without the need of a legit reason.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-05-11, 11:09
religeon :o It pretty much dictates everything without the need of a legit reason.

And it is religion which prevents animal welfare organisations to intervene.
Here is an ASPCA quality slaughter booth for kosher -- but looking at it, even this is a bit horrible...
http://www.grandin.com/gifs/upkosher.jpg

I can't imagine that would be comfortable for the animal :/

moodydog
01-05-11, 11:16
aach, it is a bit horrible tbh :(

Snazabaz
01-05-11, 11:25
I've seen videos like this before, and it certainly isn't nice at all. I'm quite happy in that most of the meat that my family buy is from ethically responsible farmers and responsibly sourced fisherman. My mother didn't buy free range eggs once and I went mental ha :p

xXhayleyroxXx
01-05-11, 11:34
Have any of you ever heard of freedom food? Its run by the RSPCA and it's basically responsibly sourced/humanely looked after and killed meats:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/freedomfood/wheretobuy

They have a logo to look for and can be found in a variety of places -- from Tesco, Sainsbury and Asda to smaller companies such as local farm shops.

moodydog
01-05-11, 12:05
Have any of you ever heard of freedom food? Its run by the RSPCA and it's basically responsibly sourced/humanely looked after and killed meats:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/freedomfood/wheretobuy

They have a logo to look for and can be found in a variety of places -- from Tesco, Sainsbury and Asda to smaller companies such as local farm shops.

definately will look out for it. My mums going away for a month, so I will have the house free to myself. I think I am going to make some food changes for that month.!

Nausinous
01-05-11, 12:09
This video, like Minty Mouth said is propaganda, they don't offer sources, it's just shock factor. I've recently begun trying to go Vegan and I think we're intelligent enough to realise, we don't need to eat meat to gain the nutrients our bodies need. I think its wrong to end a life, animal or otherwise. I don't judge others for eating meat but I myself could never ingest animal flesh, ever again.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-05-11, 12:25
definately will look out for it. My mums going away for a month, so I will have the house free to myself. I think I am going to make some food changes for that month.!

Even the smallest changes make a big difference :hug:

Encore
01-05-11, 12:46
If you want to pass your point of view, do it with a reputable, neutral source.

How is that possible? :p

Jester Head
01-05-11, 13:18
How is that possible? :p

Well, neutral is probably not possible, :D

But if that was a documentary or report made by a news or other type of agency, with no clear profit to be gain from the message, unlike a vegan agency, then it would be taken more seriously... I think.

FloTheMachine
01-05-11, 14:05
Just what I needed :(

Yeah, I already knew all this and I'm proud to be vegetarian.

Likewise!
Veggie till the day I die.

This is all really horrible. :(

Cristina
01-05-11, 14:35
omg iīm so disgusted! that poor animals...:yik: i donīt want to eat more meat ever again

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy334/lifeinautomatic/Gifs/summer-disgusted.gif