PDA

View Full Version : TRUTH is Expensive

Avalon SARL
09-05-11, 11:52
Well, let me briefly say something about my job.

Please take your time reading it; it happened just recently to me and I would love to share it with the people/in the place I visit most :)

It is Irrigation Design/execution and landscaping.

Anyway, recently, I am executing an Irrigation system for a garden in the city for a living complex almost about 600 m2 surface area

After I got accepted and signed in for the project (I work as freelancer and was surely accepted because I have given a better price than other competitors) I gave the project manager a proposal for a better and more coherent and safer way to install the pipes,but that will require him extra job to do.

I wanted him to install a few manholes http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/96092/96092,1241426984,30/stock-photo-sewer-manhole-cover-29634820.jpg for me at certain areas

Well he refused my proposal because obviously he DOES NOT WANT TO PAY MORE...

Ok, so be it.
I moved on and installed the system and i am almost 80% done.

Just two weeks ago, while testing the system, I noticed that under a specific area which is already tiled, there is a water leak.
The area was flooded. :eek:

I panicked and got so scared.
well the PM is somehow not nice to talk to and very arrogant and he values everything with money, even people.

So, I did not know what to do.

I shut up and did not want to tell him about it.

I thought to myself, "Yeah, he deserves it anyway.He refused my first proposal in the past because of the money and now he is going to blame me for this."

Well, I couldn't sleep well...I am feeling that I have chosen the path of the coward, rather than a responsible engineer.

Just then I thought to myself that it is not actually about who is to blame.
It is not about whose fault this is;but soon,the apartments will be inhabited and the people who will live there do not deserve to have their building entrance flooding with water.
Besides water leaking through tall buildings can cause many other hazards and perhaps ceilings might crack because in my case this is not a tiny water flow.

We are speaking about more than 100 liters of water leaking through the building in one minute(can you imagine that :yik:)

so I began having nightmares about the building falling down;

I began going into the office to tell the PM, but I have seen how he talks to the labor;ho nasty and violent he is, how rude; he curses and I hate that...

So whenever I wanted to tell him, I changed my mind from both: fear and because I would say that he deserves it...

But finally today,I went and told him and well it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.

He said,"Oh well, good thing we found about this now; else it would have been a disaster."

They are going to team up to destroy the tiles and find where the leakage is.

He said in the end: "If paying a little more money would ensure a better and safer result, I don't know why didn't I agree on it in the first place."

:D

you can't believe how hard it was for me to say this, but thanks GOD in the end I could and now I feel so much relieved
What do you think?

TRUTH IS VERY EXPENSIVE, BUT IT IS THE ONLY WAY:)

scoopy_loopy
09-05-11, 11:54

I can't believe you put off telling someone that long. :eek:

Avalon SARL
09-05-11, 11:58
:o you can't believe how stupid and dumb I feel for waiting all this long

I put myself under tension for no reason and after I said it I was thinking that if I hadn't I would have probably had to live with that for the rest of my life:(

scoopy_loopy
09-05-11, 12:01
You left it for a fornight! You're lucky you weren't sued! How dangerous!

I'm sorry, ****ty boss or not - it was a really irresponsible decision to keep quiet.

tampi
09-05-11, 12:09
The problem with the truth is that some people may think that is a lie. So widespread is the lie that attacks the truth.

It could have been a thread more surprising if you say us: "I have collapsed a building!".:vlol: :tea::D

Dennis's Mom
09-05-11, 12:10
It's very easy to build up a bad result when something like this happens. I understand why you panicked.

The one thing I've learned in my life is that things are usually not as bad as my imagination makes them out to be. Doesn't stop my imagination from making up worse results, but it does help me work up the courage to face the situation.

moodydog
09-05-11, 12:12
:o
Never mind, atleast its done. Just know for the future, you must say if anything is wrong/ is broken... Its not a bad thing. :)

You left it for a fornight! You're lucky you weren't sued! How dangerous!

I'm sorry, ****ty boss or not - it was a really irresponsible decision to keep quiet.

scoopy, forums isn't about telling people off when they are sharing their experiences, that I just find a bit immature.

Lara Croft!
09-05-11, 12:16
Just because this ended well, it doesn't mean the same thing will happen in the future. You are a freelancer and all you can have is a good reputation that you do a good job, no tricks. I suggest next time, be specific on what has to be done beforehand, and if the owner is a cheap one, then insist on having the right work made, and warn them of the dangers. If you know what has to be done, you should be able to persuade your clients, you are the engineer, not them. They are paying you to do an expert's job, not to let them make the decisions for you. You seem like a shy person, I think that you should build up some courage in time.

scoopy_loopy
09-05-11, 12:25
scoopy, forums isn't about telling people off when they are sharing their experiences, that I just find a bit immature.

Just two weeks ago, while testing the system, I noticed that under a specific area which is already tiled, there is a water leak.
The area was flooded.

[...]

Besides water leaking through tall buildings can cause many other hazards and perhaps ceilings might crack because in my case this is not a tiny water flow.

We are speaking about more than 100 liters of water leaking through the building in one minute(can you imagine that )

[...]

I think Avalon is lucky he didn't get into serious trouble, or apparently cause harm to the building or other people, that's all!

moodydog
09-05-11, 13:11
I think Avalon is lucky he didn't get into serious trouble, or apparently cause harm to the building or other people, that's all!

ye I can see your frustration with the situation here. :o
And you right, he can cause harm, but perhaps he knows. He just appears a bit shy, or perhaps a bit inexperienced (no offense :ton:). But well ALL make silly mistakes.
Once going scubba diving, during the lesson before my 'exam', I completely forgot about my diving instructor and went off on my own. It was like 10 minuets underwater before I found him. I even forgot to go to the surface... That was my second open water dive, and I made tonnes of potentially life threataning mistakes.

Alive_and_Funky
09-05-11, 18:23
Your story sounds just like the chance cards from The Sims 2. XD

Avalon SARL
09-05-11, 18:38
Just because this ended well, it doesn't mean the same thing will happen in the future. You are a freelancer and all you can have is a good reputation that you do a good job, no tricks. I suggest next time, be specific on what has to be done beforehand, and if the owner is a cheap one, then insist on having the right work made, and warn them of the dangers. If you know what has to be done, you should be able to persuade your clients, you are the engineer, not them. They are paying you to do an expert's job, not to let them make the decisions for you. You seem like a shy person, I think that you should build up some courage in time.

Well yes and no and the reason is that I panicked and had lots of false and wrong images in my head.

As I look back at it, I find myself to be so dumb, but I am not of the kind to let this let me down or break me up; instead it is a motive for me to become stronger, more courageous, even the experience I had is also more valuable that now I am more aware of the risks (maybe I didn't say it, but this is my first design in an urban place>>> within buildings).

What's more important is that really no matter what or how much painful the truth has to be, it must be said.

Thanks for everyone :)

I don;t consider myself lucky.
Actually I made a test to my system and it was 100% safe...

The pipe must have been ruined by someone else, maybe those who tiled the area could have ruined it without taking notice of it

I had my reasons, however valid or not they are, well that is how we build courage isn't it,by being pushed into different situations...

Thankfully now the problem is resolved :)

LNSNHGTDS
09-05-11, 18:44
At least you made the right choice at the right time. Sometimes a lie is better than the truth but some other times the lie can "turn back like a boomerang" and then you are in big trouble. Other times it's better not to say anything but this time should have neither lied nor silencing, just telling the truth and that's what you did. Good job :D :tmb: .

The Great Chi
09-05-11, 19:35
If it is just a leak in a pipe, there is electronic leak detection equipment that you can hire, that they put one electrode in at one end of the pipe and a surface scanner will pinpoint exactly where the pipe leak is, so you will not have to dig up a big area, thus saving a lot of money digging.

Google 'electronic leak detection equipment hire' in your county.