PDA

View Full Version : Official TombRaiderForums RPG Discussion Thread

Catracoth
11-05-11, 00:33
http://i53.************/15x386b.jpg

Welcome one and all to the Official TombRaider Forums RPG Thread! You might be wondering exactly what this is, but have no fear, a clear and thorough explanation will follow suit. Firstly, a bit of background information for those feeling a bit cynical about the game. It all started with a discussion between a couple of moderators and other members on the board. I brought up a discussion about why RPG threads haven't worked in the past, and with a few examples, what-ifs, some moderator input, and weighing of pros and cons, we decided to give it another go, with some major revisions. I had a vision that we could create a forum RPG that could go smoothly and splendidly if we all took our fair share of responsibility and keeping it clean, organized, and fun for all.

This thread is to be used as the discussion thread for the Official TombRaiderForums RPG Thread, found here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=5408534).

:)

Ward Dragon
11-05-11, 01:08
Very interesting. I wasn't expecting a counter-terrorist theme so now I'm wondering what to make my character :p

Do we all have to be CIA agents or could I do something like make my character a grad student who gets caught up in the plot somehow?

Catracoth
11-05-11, 01:13
Yes you may!
I was hoping some members would volunteer to work for the terrorist group, SPECTRE as well. :p

Ward Dragon
11-05-11, 01:27
Yes you may!
I was hoping some members would volunteer to work for the terrorist group, SPECTRE as well. :p

Awesome :D

I'm not sure that people would want to put their names as terrorist characters, so if no one volunteers then maybe someone could act kind of like a D&D DM where they would effectively control the whole SPECTRE group and set up situations that our characters have to react to.

For example, maybe the DM would write a post saying that my character overheard a conversation at a bar about a warehouse. Then I would post about how my character went to investigate the warehouse and discovered a bunch of SPECTRE agents there and the general ass-kickery that ensued. Then the DM could write another post describing a suspicious safe in the warehouse so of course in the following post my character (or whoever was with me) would investigate the safe, and so on.

DgoOdz94
11-05-11, 01:36
Can I be the traitor person who ends up working for both teams? :D That' would be interesting.

Catracoth
11-05-11, 02:18
Good idea Jenni! :tmb:
DgoOdz94, go for it! :D

Legend of Lara
11-05-11, 03:23
Hm. I may give this a try.

pEhouse
11-05-11, 07:17
Aww I was hoping for something more.. magical :D As I already have a very magical character well thought out.
But I'll participate anyway - maybe as one of the baddies, I love being the bad guy :p Hopefully when I get back from Uni there'll still be free spots.

BlueJ97
11-05-11, 07:49
ooh can I join ? :D
maybe one of the bad guys :D

Your response would be something that continues from where that participant left off, from your character's point of view. For example, "Person B grimaced at Person A before pulling the trigger of her sniper rifle. The shot was like a sound of thunder, echoing through the Cuban forest."

so does this mean some members will die and get replaced ? :)

pEhouse
11-05-11, 08:55
Catracoth - I need some help with character creation. So I decided to be part of SPECTRE, but it would help loads if I knew their motive for attacking the world. Also, do they have a leader, or is it up to us participants to play the leader's part?

Catracoth
11-05-11, 11:57
No members die :) its up to you to use your imagination to avoid death or resurrect your character. :p

As for SPECTRE's motives, SPECTRE is a fictional group from the James Bond world. They were always my favorite terrorist group. I'm not at a computer right now so I can't type much, but it'd be a good idea to research them if you want a deeper insight. What I can tell you is that their motives were always unclear and might just do what they do for the hell of it, or the classic cliche of world domination.

BlueJ97
11-05-11, 12:06
oh :p
but should we post everyday or not ? :)

EDIT:
also should we post our real names and hair color and eyes ? :p

EDIT2:
and when if we can't post anymore and will continue later, like lets say busy because of school and other issues is it okay ?

the ancient
11-05-11, 12:55
I can give it a try...

:)

Dia2blo
11-05-11, 13:13
Is my character ok?

Name: Chase Montgomery
Body Type: Athletic
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Hazel

Background: Born and bred in the UK, he enlisted on his 18th birthday and soared his way through ranks. He was dishonourably discharged on his at the age of 23, after a fight resulting in the near death of another soldier whom he claimed “destroyed his family”. Studied French at school but despite being fluent took it no further. He has very little in the way of qualifications, but like his father is a natural mechanic. He also has advanced combat training from his time as a soldier. He is strong, agile, has sharp reflexes, charismatic, honest, immature, open and brash.

Casual Attire
Top: Plain white tee
Bottom: Dark blue jeans, over black Dr martens.
Accessories: Timex diving wristwatch, Dunlop brown leather bag

Field Attire
Top: Standard issue marine uniform
Bottom: “ with Dr martens
Accessories: Timex diving wristwatch

Equipment
Glock G17 9mm
Polaroid photo of his parents
Blackberry curve 3G
Vespa t5 classic scooter

I don't know a huge amount about ranks etc. within the army so I sort of side-stepped that issue. I'll post it if it's acceptable :)

Vinkula
11-05-11, 15:31
I can join too, but there's one thing in the rules I don't understand.

Catracoth
11-05-11, 16:52
Everyone has a limit of 7 posts per day. You participate when you can, no obligations necessary.

I can join too, but there's one thing in the rules I don't understand.

And that would be...?

Vinkula
11-05-11, 17:13
Everyone has a limit of 7 posts per day. You participate when you can, no obligations necessary.

And that would be...?

Sorry I forgot to put in that post. Here it is, can you explain it more.
(Sorry but I want to be sure)

-When contributing, you must post something saying "Writing in progress..." or "I'm writing my turn..." so members know to wait until you've edited that post with your contribution before they submit theirs.

Catracoth
11-05-11, 19:01
Oh alright. :)
What you're to do when about to post your actions in the RPG thread, you firstly submit a post saying "I'm writing currently..." or something similar so other members know not to post until you've finished.

Then, you edit that post with your contribution. Members will read it, and do the same, writing their post in correspondence to yours. I hope that was made clearer. :o

Vinkula
11-05-11, 19:59
Oh thanks! It's clear now, thank you very much! :)

Catracoth
12-05-11, 00:49
Glad I could help! :D

Nausinous
12-05-11, 09:59
I posted my application, looks like fun :wve:

Jester Head
12-05-11, 11:40
I was thinking of a making a terrorist guy, but seems like everyone is joining that side... I can make work for CIA, though. They may be desperate enough to hire a mad man.

Tyrannosaurus
12-05-11, 11:48
An MB absolutely needs a DM/GM, otherwise, it will collapse into the morass of open role-playing decay. Also, you need to have a series of consistent game rules. What sort of system would a TR-like game have? GURPS? Rifts? What?

pEhouse
12-05-11, 12:54
I was thinking of a making a terrorist guy, but seems like everyone is joining that side... I can make work for CIA, though. They may be desperate enough to hire a mad man.

Hm? So far there were only 4 applications, and only one of them for the terrorist side. Or did I miss something?

Jester Head
12-05-11, 13:25
Hm? So far there were only 4 applications, and only one of them for the terrorist side. Or did I miss something?

Forget it, you're right, my brain crashed.

Lara Croft!
12-05-11, 13:59
So this is kinda like the "create a story" threads, but with the difference that each poster has one character to use.

pEhouse
12-05-11, 14:39
Forget it, you're right, my brain crashed.

Come join me on the dark side :cln:

Catracoth
12-05-11, 15:04

Feel free to be a terrorist. :)

An MB absolutely needs a DM/GM, otherwise, it will collapse into the morass of open role-playing decay. Also, you need to have a series of consistent game rules. What sort of system would a TR-like game have? GURPS? Rifts? What?

Er...what? :o

Ward Dragon
12-05-11, 20:24

I don't think this is meant to be a game with rules to follow. This is more like a collaborative fan fiction where we each take turns adding onto the story :)

Zebra
12-05-11, 21:08
Oh god, I love this! Posted my character's profile. It's not totally complete but I was just so excited I had to post it already :p.

@Vanity: Whoops. Hadn't realised your character is also partly Russian and from Canada. Hope the similarities don't bother you :o.

EDIT: Also, it would be awesome if anyone was willing to play Victor (maybe as a second character as he probably won't have as many appearances as a "proper" character), so if you're interested in that, just tell me and we can discuss the details via PM.

EDIT2: Updated the profile a bit more. Still not finished, though :p. And the mother's name is purely coincidental. I only found out about the musician Mary-Lou Williams when I searched for the mother's name on Google (to see whether it was common or not :p).

Vanity
13-05-11, 17:25
[...]
@Vanity: Whoops. Hadn't realised your character is also partly Russian and from Canada. Hope the similarities don't bother you :o.
[...]

You big ol' copycat. How dare you? :p J/k. You have no reason to worry. It doesn't bother me at all. I was wondering if it is even possible to draw a line from Aidan to Alaric. (Alliteration, what an amazing coincidence. :D)

Zebra
13-05-11, 17:41
Hm...I'm usually not a fan of connecting everything with everything else (TRU is the best example for why that is a bad idea :p) but if you'd like to we can have a talk over PM or Profile Messages and think of ways to connect them without making it too cheesy :p.

Vanity
13-05-11, 19:22
Haha, I know what you mean. Acutally it was a germ of an idea and wasn't well conceived. Perhaps it would be better to keep them apart as long as everything is still in the early stages of development. Perhaps we could reintegrate the idea when the time is ripe. :P

Catracoth
14-05-11, 19:54
I'm glad to see everyone throwing and sharing ideas. :D
The RPG thread isn't accepting any more applications, and I'm writing up the initial post to start us off. :D

FloTheMachine
14-05-11, 20:22
I made my character recently. This sounds like it's going to be immense. <3

Ward Dragon
14-05-11, 20:24
I'm glad to see everyone throwing and sharing ideas. :D
The RPG thread isn't accepting any more applications, and I'm writing up the initial post to start us off. :D

Oh, I didn't realize the deadline was today. I guess I'll just read it then, or maybe I could make posts every now and then saying that something unexpected happened so that people will have to react to things not going according to plan :pi:

Amiyo
14-05-11, 20:30
Too bad I realized that there is an RPG here too late. :( I would have liked to join. But have fun, the setting sounds interesting. :tmb:

Catracoth
14-05-11, 21:42
Oh, I didn't realize the deadline was today. I guess I'll just read it then, or maybe I could make posts every now and then saying that something unexpected happened so that people will have to react to things not going according to plan :pi:

Go for it, Jenni. Submit your application; I should have set ahead a deadline date. :hea: I never think these days. I'll do it in the future.
Jenni, would you mind perhaps removing the posts after the most recent application to start fresh?

Too bad I realized that there is an RPG here too late. :( I would have liked to join. But have fun, the setting sounds interesting. :tmb:

You can submit an application if you'd like. :)

Ward Dragon
14-05-11, 21:45
^ Okay, I guess I'll delete those two posts. I'll quote them here so that they can be reposted once the RPG officially starts :)

The year is 2012. An organization called SPECTRE (SPecial Executive for Counter-Intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion) have stolen nuclear weapons and a deadly nerve agent called Nova 6 and plan to weaponize the nerve agent and unleash it on parts of the globe. The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) have sent out some of it's best operatives to work together and put an end to SPECTRE's scheme once and for all.

In the CIA headquarters of Langley, Virginia, Director Devlin handed each of his agents a dossier on SPECTRE, Nova 6, and the terrorists involved. "Do you understand your assignment?" the director asked. The agents spoke a word of positivity. "This is a covert operation. You'll have full agency assistance, but you're restricted to back up from other agents but yourselves. We can't let anyone else learn of our problem here."

Agent Vanek looked up. "Sir, I must ask...what is SPECTRE's endgame?"

The director frowned. "That we don't know, Vanek. We need you lot to find out. Dismissed."

Remember: from here on in, you're to submit a post saying "I'm writing..." or "Writing in progess..." or anything of the likes so other members know to wait. Then, edit your post with your contribution. Please do not double post. Enjoy! :)

Claire gave her handler a quick glance before returning her eyes to the dossier handed to her a moment earlier. She wondered idly whilst reading what sort of compound Nova 6 was.
Feeling impatient, she stood up from the table and leant against the far glass wall, glancing over all the other members of the room, before dipping her head once more in the dossier.
She finally succumbed to her boredom and gave a hard stare to Devlin, before walking out the door first. She pulled out an empty handgun magazine and started filling it with bullets.

Catracoth
14-05-11, 21:47
Much appreciated.
I'll PM Flo so s/he is aware. :)

Ward Dragon
14-05-11, 22:15
Much appreciated.
I'll PM Flo so s/he is aware. :)

Oh, I didn't see this so I just left a VM :p

In any case, I've posted my bio now. My general idea is that Gloria's thesis is about using viruses to genetically target cancer cells, and SPECTRE is interested in this as a possible way to target the nerve agent against certain people. However I'm not really sure what SPECTRE's actual plan is so I didn't want to post all of that officially in the bio in case it turns out to be irrelevant :p

Catracoth
14-05-11, 22:17
It's alright. :)
As for SPECTRE's motives, I haven't really thought much about it, so perhaps we can make it up as we go along? I'm sure we can all put our creative minds together. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECTRE#Philosophy_and_goals

That's the official (and I use that term loosely since it's Wikipedia) background information on SPECTRE. It's what I go by.

Ward Dragon
14-05-11, 22:29
^ Interesting.

I came up with an elaborately over-thought mechanism whereby viruses would synthesize the nerve agent after an incubation period, which would increase the number of people affected by it and also allow the SPECTRE people to be inoculated against it so it wouldn't affect them. Maybe SPECTRE's goal could be to create a horrible epidemic and then sell the vaccinations once people are desperate, or to use the panic to take control.

If that doesn't fit though, or sounds too contrived, then I'll just scrap it :p

Catracoth
14-05-11, 22:46
No way, Jenni! That's brilliant!
Please, allow me to use that as SPECTRE's motive. It's very well thought out! :D

Dia2blo
14-05-11, 22:48
I was going to add to the RPG but I see the posts have been removed. I didn't want to go first to be honest. :p

The motive sounds great by the way! :D

Zebra
14-05-11, 22:59
I think using the epidemic to take control sounds great. They should probably have some sort of ideology, too, though. What would they do once they are in control of everything and everyone (please mind that I have yet to read Catracoth's link, so maybe the answer to this question is already in there)?

BTW: Is it okay to have two characters? I mean...I'd essentially write Victor's lines either way (no matter whether he's got his own application or not) but I had the idea to connect him to SPECTRE.

Catracoth
14-05-11, 23:06
Hmm, having two characters might get confusing for others, but go ahead and give it a go. :D
Just make sure we know who's POV you're writing in when you post. :p

Zebra
14-05-11, 23:08
Thanks. He won't have as many appearances as my main character (and they'll often be in scenes together, anyway), so I hope it won't get too confusing. But if anyone else would want to play him, I'd gladly let them do it.

FloTheMachine
15-05-11, 12:12
Much appreciated.
I'll PM Flo so he is aware. :)

I am. :D Many thanks. =D

My character Claire is an ex assasin, I'm still trying to write up how she came under the control of the company who dispatches her... :)

Amiyo
15-05-11, 16:14
You can submit an application if you'd like. :)Thanks, I'll do it right away! :)

pEhouse
15-05-11, 16:24
Is there any estimation as to how long one "round" will take? I'm thinking about taking my application back, because it looks really stupid next to all the well thought out characters, but I can't really seem to get into the story. It's too realistic and I don't know much about guns or James Bond, so..
Just would like to know when would be the next chance to participate because I am really interested in doing this, just maybe with another background story.

Zebra
15-05-11, 16:42
I think you shouldn't take it back. Your application may be short but I'm sure your character will develop throughout the RPG and you'll get used to the realistic setting :).

Catracoth
18-05-11, 19:47
Just letting everyone know the RPG will commence today! :)

Zebra
19-05-11, 11:02
I hope my post is okay. It doesn't exactly have anything to do with the post above mine but that's a bit hard to do when you have to introduce the characters first before they meet each other.

Amiyo
19-05-11, 15:10
Hehee, just made my post... :jmp:
@ Zebra, I can imagine your post as a scene from a movie, it's very nice. :)

Zebra
19-05-11, 15:39
Thanks a lot :)! I really like the way you've introduced your character. Immediately shows you what kind of person she is. The punch may have been a bit too much (especially considering that an actual agent doing that would probably face a lawsuit afterwards :p) but that's fine. It was funny :D.

Amiyo
19-05-11, 15:44
Well, thank you. :) I just felt that I absolutely just have to put a punch there...:p
Can't wait how the RPG turns out, when the story goes forward, the setting is very exciting, and could lead to anywhere! :D

Dia2blo
22-05-11, 22:12
I sort of just blasted my way into the RPG. Not much of an introduction, but I like to think it kicked up the pace a bit. :)

Alpharaider47
22-05-11, 22:14
I sort of just blasted my way into the RPG. Not much of an introduction, but I like to think it kicked up the pace a bit. :)

I thought it was pretty cool! :p

Just wanna say thanks again to Mason for letting me join the party late :p

Zebra
22-05-11, 22:19
Welcome onboard ;).

I'm a bit unsure of how to continue. I mean, I guess I'm going to let you guys write a bit until there's a chance for some interaction between one of my and one of your characters but maybe I'll write some more solo stuff until that happens. We'll see.

Alpharaider47
22-05-11, 22:22
Welcome onboard ;).

I'm a bit unsure of how to continue. I mean, I guess I'm going to let you guys write a bit until there's a chance for some interaction between one of my and one of your characters but maybe I'll write some more solo stuff until that happens. We'll see.
:D

I'm interested in seeing how the interactions are going to work.

Dia2blo
22-05-11, 22:22

Welcome onboard ;).

Also, the only problem is, it might get a bit confusing with everyone all over the place. I'm not 100 % sure how this is supposed to work, but I figure if that happens the whole time, we'll basically all be writing our own mini stories.

Also this may seem like a stupid question, but are we allowed to write what other characters would do in our bits? Or do we have to leave that to the next person.

I ask because in my bit, I was going to make Chase shove Mason out of the way then get into his car, but given his history i'm not sure he'd be such a pushover.

Alpharaider47
22-05-11, 22:24
Maybe we can ask the person who's character we want to use how they would react in that situation? Sort of a joint effort if you will :p

Zebra
22-05-11, 22:27
If your character shoves Mason, that's what your character does and not what Mason does, meaning it's allowed. You must not, however, write how Mason reacts to being shoved out of the way. You would have to leave that to Catracoth.

Also, the only problem is, it might get a bit confusing with everyone all over the place. I'm not 100 % sure how this is supposed to work, but I figure if that happens the whole time, we'll basically all be writing our own mini stories.

Yeah, that's why online RPGs usually have their own forums with subforums/threads for each location. However, if we did that it wouldn't be a TRF RPG, of course. I think our own subforum in the Fanart section would be cool but now that the RPG has already started it's probably not possible to do that anymore.

Dia2blo
22-05-11, 22:29

That sounds good. All I meant is that things are going to be awfully one sided in that case. Conversations for example, how would they work?

Also my point is, Chase could shove Mason, but who is to say that Mason wouldn't have the training/ strength or whatever to stop himself from being robbed in such a way?

Unless we do just do what Alpharaider said.

I think i'm making this too complicated. :p

Ward Dragon
22-05-11, 23:48
^ Maybe you could write your post including the other character's reactions and PM it to the person whose character it is and get their approval (or have them edit what their character does if necessary).

In any case, we're all friendly here :) I'm sure if someone doesn't like how their character is portrayed in another post, the person will be glad to edit it accordingly.

I'm personally facing a bit of writer's block (and I'm caught up in The Witcher 2 as well so haven't had much time to think about the RPG). I'm reading the posts and I'll jump in once I get inspired and feel like it's the right time to add Gloria to the story :)

DgoOdz94
23-05-11, 00:04

Welcome aboard Chaz!

Well I just posted about William's past. :)

Catracoth
23-05-11, 01:20
You may control other people's characters, but there must be some limit. You may write their dialogue in your turn but you may not make their character act out of line, or anything of that nature.

Dia2blo
24-05-11, 18:07
Is it ok for my character to join SPECTRE? :mis:

Amiyo
25-05-11, 18:00
Is it ok for my character to join SPECTRE? :mis:Don't see any reason why it wouldn't be okay.

Erm, I'm a bit confused what happens here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=5433147&postcount=34) and here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=5433535&postcount=35). FloTheMachine and Catracoth: you must be meaning Claire, right? ;)

Catracoth
28-05-11, 19:50
Idea!

I have an idea; why don't we all work together in each location, tracking down SPECTRE, that way we may communicate and play with everyone? :)

Zebra
28-05-11, 21:02
Just wanted to let everyone (mainly Amiyo) know that you shouldn't expect any posts from me today or tomorrow. I'm too busy with school stuff.

Amiyo
31-05-11, 17:47
Whaat?! Our 50 posts have gained 1,932 views! The RPG must be interesting for others too, than just us 10 participants... :)
And I've included Catracoth's idea in my post as -- the message that Mason had sent: "Let's all meet up in New York. It might be wiser to track down SPECTRE as a one group. I've informed the others." --
Let's see how the idea goes. :)

Zebra
08-06-11, 18:54
Sorry, sorry, sorry. School and the Tomb Raider E3 news have kept me busy. Will catch up immediately.

Catracoth
08-06-11, 18:56
It's all right :) I'm contributing in a moment.

Zebra
08-06-11, 19:21
I don't know anything about cars. Could anyone please help me out here :p? Is there a way to quickly and permanently disable a car?

Amiyo
09-06-11, 08:01
My knowledge of cars is quite limited, but how about ripping off the cords that go under the dashboard? I think they're quite essential on what comes to driving... For example there goes a cord that provides electricity to the ignition lock. And if the cord are destroyed/hidden after they're ripped off, that's pretty much permanent (or they're in so bad shape that they can't be put back to the car).

a_pok
09-06-11, 15:57
nevermind this post!!!
i'll just wait till the next round, by then i would have an interesting character and good background story...

Amiyo
11-06-11, 15:32
Catracoth, or someone who might know: I'm wondering how long a round will take. I thought about for example blowing up SPECTRE's locations/bases in Prague and in Minsk to speed things up a bit (maybe other CIA agents would take care of them). It might take forever to visit them...

That'd leave New York, Manchester and Lima. Maybe Lima could be the final place, where the "last battle between CIA and SPECTRE" would take place?

Just throwing ideas... :)

FloTheMachine
08-08-11, 00:12
*bump

Are people still interested in doing this? I am. :)

Catracoth
08-08-11, 00:15
*raises hand*

I feel so bad for this game :/

Ward Dragon
08-08-11, 00:21
*raises hand*

I feel so bad for this game :/

Me too. I really wanted to join in, but I ended up not getting around to posting in the story thread due to being wrapped up in other things.

Catracoth
08-08-11, 00:22
If anyone would like to offer suggestions for a new round, I'd be happy to hear them. :) I think a new round is in order with a different theme. Perhaps a free-for-all battle arena where we all fight each other! :mis:

FloTheMachine
08-08-11, 00:41
What about a zombie strewn city, which has been sealed off to prevent further infection. Each participant could be a survivor within the city, or a researcher who started the bio hazard, etc.

Catracoth
08-08-11, 00:56
Ooh I love the sound of that! :D

DgoOdz94
08-08-11, 01:05
What about a zombie strewn city, which has been sealed off to prevent further infection. Each participant could be a survivor within the city, or a researcher who started the bio hazard, etc.
Awesome idea!

*bows down*

FloTheMachine
20-08-11, 10:27
So... are we going to do this? :p