PDA

View Full Version : Genpets - Bioengineered Household Pets

Lizard of Oz
13-05-11, 01:18
Have you guys heard of the new "Genpets" that have come into the market recently? They are produced by a company named BioGenica, and they are a hybrid type of animal created by the genetic make-up of different animals.

http://i.imgur.com/GLAxd.jpg

From the website (http://www.genpets.com/index.php):

Say Hello to the all New Genpets™ from Bio.Genica!
The Genpets™ are Pre-Packaged, Bioengineered pets implemented today!
That’s right, Genpets are not toys or robots. They are living, breathing genetic animals.

We use a process called "Zygote Micro Injection" which is quickly becoming a favourable method to combine DNA, or to insert certain proteins from different species. Most notably it was used in 1997 to splice mice with bioluminescent jellyfish (link) and has since been used to create glowing rabbits, pigs, fish, and monkeys (link). Since then, human DNA has been injected into rabbits, chimpanzees, spider DNA into sheep, and now, Genpets have arrived!

Read National Geographic's site for more information on human animal hybrids

We’ve gone one step further by packaging the Genpets™ into plastic packages unlike any other. Each Genpet™ package has a fully functional heart rate monitor and Fresh Strip to better gauge the state of each pet while it lies in its hibernation state.

From there we’ve broken it down even further. While each Genpet may look the same, really they aren’t. Each Genpet™ comes with a color-coded personality. For example, a child that wishes to have a Genpet™ that is very energetic would choose a Red Genpet™ (see features section for details).
Engineered DNA, engineered personalities, and engineered lifespan, it doesn’t come any better than that. Bio-Genica has you covered on all bases. Just leave the details to us.

In the Packages
As you’ve noticed, each Genpet™ comes pre-packaged as a fully self-contained unit. This packaging is part of what truly separates the Genpets™ from every other product on the market today. Each package has an embedded microchip that monitors and controls the state of the Genpet while it is asleep waiting for you to take it home. Better yet, it displays the status of the Genpet™ with a Fresh Strip, as well as a fully working heart monitor in the top right of the package.

Out of the packages, Genpets™ have limited mobility. Like dolls, puppies or human babies, they must be looked after and cared for. Upon waking from its dormant state the Genpet™ will immediately bond or imprint to your child.

The Genpet™ line-up pulls its basis from a natural1 stage of evolution in the market. Dolls and robotic toys quickly become tiresome, while traditional pets require a high level of upkeep. Genpets™ however, learn and adapt 2. They are living pets, but better, modified2 to be as reliable, dependable and efficient as any other technology we use in our busy lives.

Read on the frequently asked questions. These are some of the ones I found most strange:

Are Genpets Real animals? How?
Genpets are living, breathing mammals. Bio-Genica is a Bioengineering Company that has combined, and modified existing DNA to create the Genpets lineup. Genpets have blood, bones, and muscle; they will bleed if you cut them, and die if mistreated just like any other animal. The electronic components are only in the packages and are for basic life support, outside of the packages the Genpets are wholly organic

Genpets are packaged like toys though.
Genpets are designed to be sold on retail store shelves, not traditional pet stores. This is why they are packaged in plastic.

Do Genpets feel pain?
Yes. However the Genpets have limited vocal chords so they will not create a large amount of noise when disturbed.

Do Genpets come out of the packages?
Yes, after purchase Genpets can be removed from their package; we will soon be doing a photo shoot to make this more clear through the website. Think of Genpets as living dolls. Genpets are designed to move more like a newborn human child, thus their range of motion is rather limited.

Do Genpets grow hair or fur?
Very Little. Genpets only grow a small amount of hair under their armpits. The Genpets are designed to resemble human babies and be hypo allergenic.

Do Genpets bite?
Genpets should not bite, however Bio-Genica does sell the tooth remover kit.

How are the personalities controlled?
The Genpet feeding packs are color coded and specially formulated with a custom drug mixture that can be used to control the Genpet, much like human drugs can such as Ritalin or Lithium and other behaviour modifying drugs. Thus we can calm them, or stimulate them without extra tampering to the DNA structure.

What do I do with my Genpet once it dies?
A Genpet can be buried in your backyard like any other pet, or they can be sent back to a Bio-genica service center for bio recycling.

Is Bio-Genica playing God?
A question we unfortunately receive far too often. The collie, the poodle, the common house cat, the ferret, and countless other animals have been bred by human beings over the last few thousand years long before bioengineering.

Isn't it inhumane to pack the Genpets into packages with only small breathing holes?
While the Genpets are in their packages they are clean, well fed, and most importantly asleep. Now compare this to the current pet store situation where multiple animals are encased in small cages or glass aquariums together, not always fed or cleaned regularly, and going over the trauma of hundreds of people poking and taping at the cages, small children screaming, birds chirping, and all the smells that may not bother your nose, but are far more intense for a small animal. Bio-Genica has developed the most humane form of pet transport that is beneficial to both the you and your Genpet.

http://i.imgur.com/zXrta.jpg

This is genetic engineering at it's worst. I find the whole industry sinister and inhumane. What do you guys think? Do you support the company? What do you think about the product concerning the ethic of science? Would you ever buy one and why?

larafan25
13-05-11, 01:23
At first glance it's really cool!:D

Then you read the ****ed up information and it's like out of some frigged up horror movie. This is terrible, those poor lifes.

Is it real?:/

edit: Creepy ass ****!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn86mRupu-E

I want to buy them all and save them!:(

xXhayleyroxXx
13-05-11, 01:26
Someone tell me this isnt real or I'm having a nightmare. Thats ****ing screwed up.

Lara's Nemesis
13-05-11, 01:27
What the hell is that thing the guy is cuddling in the 1st picture?

larafan25
13-05-11, 01:29
Someone tell me this isnt real or I'm having a nightmare. Thats ****ing screwed up.

Say goodbye to your career, say goodbye to your loved ones, say goodbye to life as you know it.

From this moment on, our disgusting inhumane future propels us to become masked heroes. Running through the night stealing Genpets.

We'll need a plan to save them.

Sorry that just felt right.:/

I'm still in shock that this is real. How much can they move their limbs?

If souls are real...man would it suck to get put into one of them. D:

leglion
13-05-11, 01:30
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/genpets.asp

larafan25
13-05-11, 01:31
Oh thank God.>.>

Lizard of Oz
13-05-11, 01:32
I'm still trying to convince myself this isn't real. :(

EDIT: OMG, phew!!! Thanks legion!!

xXhayleyroxXx
13-05-11, 01:33
Say goodbye to your career, say goodbye to your loved ones, say goodbye to life as you know it.

From this moment on, our disgusting inhumane future propels us to become masked heroes. Running through the night stealing Genpets.

We'll need a plan to save them.

Sorry that just felt right.:/

I'm still in shock that this is real. How much can they move their limbs?

If souls are real...man would it suck to get put into one of them. D:

Why... I can't get my head around it. Limited vocal cords? so they wont scream as much if you cut them?

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/genpets.asp
still.... the reactions of the kids and the fact it was even thought of...

Simochka
13-05-11, 01:36
I knew from the beginning it was fake. I mean.... come on

larafan25
13-05-11, 01:37
I actually thought it was so real. :/

Tombraiderx08
13-05-11, 01:37
It's a hoax

leglion
13-05-11, 01:39
I actually thought it was so real. :/

I knew it was fake form the start. :p If some company HAD reached that level in genetic engineering, don't you think it would be all over the news?

larafan25
13-05-11, 01:40
It's a hoax

D:

I knew it was fake form the start. :p If some company HAD reached that level in genetic engineering, don't you think it would be all over the news?

Yeah you're right.:/

They'd probably be far more maniacal too. :pi:

Tonyrobinson
13-05-11, 01:45
Thank God this is fake children could easily treat it like a toy and kill it. But did anyone actually believe is was real, all mammals need to feed and respire they can't do that in storage in plastic boxes. :p

BoyTRaider
13-05-11, 01:46
How could anything like that be real?

And how can some living breathing organic being like that be put into hybernation inside a plastic package?

The concept is so beyond messed up and after a few quick reads you can see all the faults within it, but props to them for starting up a bunch a fuss and convincing people that it was real. Lol

larafan25
13-05-11, 01:46
Thank God this is fake children could easily treat it like a toy and kill it. But did anyone actually believe is was real, all mammals need to feed and respire they can't do that in storage in plastic boxes. :p

The boxes were specially designed though! D:

xXhayleyroxXx
13-05-11, 01:54
The boxes were specially designed though! D:

Yeah and theyre genetically engineered and modified. I'm glad theyre fake but im worried about the idea that something like this might actually be going on behind closed doors.

Ikas90
13-05-11, 05:00
Reminds me of the movie 'Splice'.

That's some scary ****. The day we learn how to genetically create new life forms, is the day we're asking for some serious trouble.

Like, would they even have souls or what? O_o

scremanie
13-05-11, 06:08
lolololol

TRNation
13-05-11, 06:13
Those things are... freaky. Imagine if they take over the world, Terminator-style. :cln:

QiX
13-05-11, 06:17
Those things are... freaky. Imagine if they take over the world, Terminator-style. :cln:

The story may be a total hoax, but a Genpet Apocalypse survival horror game could be a success. I'd buy it for sure :P

!Lara Croft!
13-05-11, 06:32
Thank god its fake. But i do have to respond to this...

Is Bio-Genica playing God?
A question we unfortunately receive far too often. The collie, the poodle, the common house cat, the ferret, and countless other animals have been bred by human beings over the last few thousand years long before bioengineering.

And their point is? That 'answer' has nothing to do with the question. Its true that collies an poodles have been bred over the last few thousand years, but that was from preexsisting species breeding naturally. This (would be) a completely new species that man has created, its disturbing and should NEVER be done.

Its not about wiether or not we can do it, its about wiether or not we should.

Alpharaider47
13-05-11, 06:54
I find this quote from Jurassic Park somewhat appropriate, hoax or not :p

"Before you even knew what you had, you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it, you want to sell it!"

EscondeR
13-05-11, 07:12
It's a hoax with a beard as long as my System Administrator career :ton:

Though freaks out ppl at the first sight pretty well :D

xXhayleyroxXx
13-05-11, 11:47

"Before you even knew what you had, you patented it and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you're selling it, you want to sell it!"

That quote is so true </3

Dennis's Mom
13-05-11, 11:50
If this were real, I don't think the first place I would have heard about it is TRF. NYT or Frontline, more like.

Nausinous
13-05-11, 12:02
This scared the **** out of me. So glad its not real *phew*

Danni
13-05-11, 12:14
Reminds me of the movie 'Splice'.

That's some scary ****. The day we learn how to genetically create new life forms, is the day we're asking for some serious trouble.

Like, would they even have souls or what? O_o

I immedietely thought of Splice, too ;/ Scared the crap outta me, just the idea of messing around with this stuff.

Quite the quote for this subject, and so true ;/

This scared the **** out of me. So glad its not real *phew*

I thought it was real too at first. When I read they'd be selling them in stores, in plastic containers (very much just looking like an ordinary mechanical 'toy') that really freaked me out! Just imagine walking around the store, and you saw those ;/ I too am glad its not real!

interstellardave
13-05-11, 12:29
I had seen this before; knew it was fake. I certainly hope nothing like this ever truly happens either. What a repugnant idea this is.

voltz
13-05-11, 22:48
God I thought the furbie was bad.

Rai
13-05-11, 23:03
For a short while, I did believe these were real - but then I read they're kept in plastic and sold like toys. The very idea is creepy, but should genetically engineered 'animals' ever become a reality, let's hope they're treated as animals, not toys. I'm very glad this isn't real. If this were real, it'd be all over the news.

trlestew
13-05-11, 23:06
This is genetic engineering at it's worst. I find the whole industry sinister and inhumane. What do you guys think? Do you support the company? What do you think about the product concerning the ethic of science? Would you ever buy one and why?

O_O

This, I find utterly disturbing. I will not support this company or buy one of their fake animals.
I agree with you on this.

EDIT: So glad this is a hoax. *Relief*
Just the sheer idea scares the heck out of me. Considering how many advances are going on in the world, it wouldn't be completely crazy to think this was real for a second.

Encore
13-05-11, 23:13
For a short while, I did believe these were real - but then I read they're kept in plastic and sold like toys. The very idea is creepy, but should genetically engineered 'animals' ever become a reality, let's hope they're treated as animals, not toys. I'm very glad this isn't real. If this were real, it'd be all over the news.

I've seen animals in pet stores being treated like toys for sale. :(

Uzi master
13-05-11, 23:23
as terrible as this looks, there are better ways genetic engeneering could work out. I certainly wouldn't object to making changes that say, make them immune to deseases like rabies.

at any rate theres plenty of stray and homeless animals, no need to make more artificially when you could adopt a perfectly good animal that needs a home.

voltz
13-05-11, 23:30
The very idea is creepy

Oh you better believe there's people out there who would "collect" this.

TRexbait
14-05-11, 05:08
Without knowing it was fake:
Thats amazing!
*keeps reading*
I'm not sure I morally agree with this, something feels...off (drugging pets for personality types is only one thing)

Knowing that it's fake: phew!

Sir Croft
14-05-11, 05:15
People really believed that? When I first read the thread title, I thought it was about those crazy concepts about bioengineering everything to improve it, but as soon as I read the first post I was like "LOL, this be fake".

ace_85
14-05-11, 07:37
If you read the accompanying article posted by leglion, you'll see it's not been 'faked' at all - the original project was an art concept by a Canadian who was intending to use the models to generate exactly the sort of discussion about the issues/controversies surrounding the potential of genetic manipulation that have been raised here. If you want my opinion, he's been pretty successful ;)

cezy rockeru
14-05-11, 09:35

This. :/
100%.

sandygrimm
14-05-11, 11:50
Even as toys, who would think them things are cute? seriously? naked moles/ dogs, even for those allergic to animal hair, I don't see how they'd be appealing to kids. They want fluffy cute, not alien nightmare gremlins.

Dark Lugia 2
14-05-11, 13:41
I was so shocked when I read the first post and couldnt really believe it. Then I saw a video someone posted on the first page and its blatant that they arent alive, they are on a repeated set movement.

moodydog
14-05-11, 14:06
of course its a hoax... it sounds completely 100% illegal.
I read the QA first, and knew immediately from the answer to 'Can it feel pain'... that it was fake.

It would have been better if it were an april fools thing though... and licenced by google...

Weemanply109
14-05-11, 14:24
It would be disgusting if there were alive, some nutjobs would buy it just to experiment killing living things and would gut it... :mad:

Thank god its fake.

moodydog
14-05-11, 14:58
It would be disgusting if there were alive, some nutjobs would buy it just to experiment killing living things and would gut it... :mad:

Thank god its fake.

well its not exactly fake. Its a very anti-whatever the hell its doing campaign. Its to raise awareness of the future bioengineering, and what it could lead to.

TRNation
14-05-11, 15:11
^
#RiseoftheMachines :cln:

xXhayleyroxXx
14-05-11, 15:13
Even as toys, who would think them things are cute? seriously? naked moles/ dogs, even for those allergic to animal hair, I don't see how they'd be appealing to kids. They want fluffy cute, not alien nightmare gremlins.

(I find them quite cute >.<) I dunno, kids find furbies appealing and theyre a little weird and scary looking. I can see why they liked these. The idea is completely revolting and wrong and sick and bleaurgh though :p

moodydog
14-05-11, 15:17
these things wouldn't be for children.
They are dead cute though. But If this sort of thing ever happened, I would steal them all and build a massive sanctuary for them all to live in. :o Hire loads of anti-cruelty activists to look after them.

xXhayleyroxXx
14-05-11, 15:19
these things wouldn't be for children.
They are dead cute though. But If this sort of thing ever happened, I would steal them all and build a massive sanctuary for them all to live in. :o Hire loads of anti-cruelty activists to look after them.

Hire me :whi: <3

moodydog
14-05-11, 15:21
Hire me :whi: <3

of course, :D

Though much rather this thing just never happens :p

xXhayleyroxXx
14-05-11, 15:23
of course, :D

Though much rather this thing just never happens :p

yay <3

Ah I know D: I'm pure disgusted by the very idea of it.

moodydog
14-05-11, 15:26
yay <3

Ah I know D: I'm pure disgusted by the very idea of it.

The Idea is pretty powerful though. Its more to raise awareness that showing off how far bio-enineering has come. :)

xXhayleyroxXx
14-05-11, 15:28
The Idea is pretty powerful though. Its more to raise awareness that showing off how far bio-enineering has come. :)

Yeah, but it will have given people ideas D:
It can go both ways.
Like, some freak somewhere might have been like 'ooo! all those kids want to buy mutant animal hybrids, Imma go make some' <3

0_0

TRNation
14-05-11, 15:32
Technology grows exponentially, so I won't be surprised if these little creeps are being walked down the street by the end of the decade. I mean, we went from bulky, black-and-white color cellphones to sleek, modern touch screens in the span of a decade. Imagine what we'll have by 2020. The better and more efficient our tech becomes, the faster it can grow. I have yet to decide whether this is good or not. =/

moodydog
14-05-11, 15:52
Technology grows exponentially, so I won't be surprised if these little creeps are being walked down the street by the end of the decade. I mean, we went from bulky, black-and-white color cellphones to sleek, modern touch screens in the span of a decade. Imagine what we'll have by 2020. The better and more efficient our tech becomes, the faster it can grow. I have yet to decide whether this is good or not. =/

http://www.genpets.com/media/photo15m.jpg

=

http://www.reviewsheetscentral.com/rs/11/mathb/image019.gif

Doubt it :o

moodydog
14-05-11, 15:53
oops double

matrix54
14-05-11, 16:12
http://i.imgur.com/zXrta.jpg = 2012. ;)

TRNation
14-05-11, 16:20
Doubt it :o

It's better that way, anyway. :p

http://i.imgur.com/zXrta.jpg = 2012. ;)

These little... things remind me of Gaga's "new race" in that Born This Way video. Could it be that Gaga...? :eek:

Encore
14-05-11, 18:06

A cell phone is still a cell phone. Just because the design became more efficient it hardly means there was a technological revolution... Bioengineering creatures in mass production would, however, be a scientific revolution with ethical implications, so I don't see it developing as fast as a decade from now. But, you'll never know... Things are always moving faster, that's for sure. :/

Amiyo
14-05-11, 18:22
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/genpets.aspPhew! At first, when I read the first post, I was absolutely horrified, and those creatures look hideous. But luckily Genpets aren't true (check leglion's link).

ryan91
14-05-11, 19:48
it's just a toy. not a biological abomination. i read about them somewhere once. you can chill :D.

and it must be old news. i remember reading about them like 5 years ago or so :D.