PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous hacked

lara c. fan
13-05-11, 16:21
Well, something that caught my eye.

A website used by Anonymous to co-ordinate cyber-attacks has itself come under assault, reportedly from disillusioned members of the notorious hacking collective.

According to the Financial Times, purported Anonymous veterans have revealed there's been a major split within the group.

AnonOps.net, generally a meeting place for planning denial-of-service attacks, has been vandalised with obscenities, while the login names and internet addresses of over 500 people said to have taken part in Anonymous activities have been posted online.

A number of supposed Anonymous administrators have since used other sites like Twitter to suggest a rebellion is taking place within the group.

Security professionals working in a voluntary capacity reportedly forwarded internet chat logs and internet addresses of alleged Anonymous members to the FBI, which is currently investigating if the group was involved in the recent hacking of the PlayStation Network.

A message posted over the weekend on AnonOps.in and signed by five people calling themselves "the 'Old' AnonOps netstaff " read: "We are profoundly sorry for this drama, and we can't give you an estimate on when service will resume normally."

Source (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300876/news/anonymous-website-attacked-as-group-splinters/)

Seems like not even Anonymous are safe!

EDIT: Hacked may be too strong a word. Maybe "attacked" would be better.

Lara's Nemesis
13-05-11, 16:48
These hackers should really try and get out more. Maybe take a walk in the park, join a gym. Maybe even attempt a conversation with a member of the opposite sex :eek: (or the same if they are that way inclined;)).

NRO.
13-05-11, 16:56
And I shall call this... Internet At War.

Liara
13-05-11, 17:35
And it shall be full of awesome and known as the First War of the Internet.

I really like one of the comments from that source: "Who hacks the hackers, eh? Or as I've commonly heard it, herp a derp derp." I'm curious to see how this plays out since Anon has always provided me with endless entertainment. :D

trfanX34
13-05-11, 17:38
^^ Yeah, Internet War I! This will be fun.

DragonSlayer
13-05-11, 18:14

I call this poetic justice.

Uzi master
13-05-11, 18:44
Too bad we don't have virtual reality internet, that would make a war much more interesting :p

TRLegendLuver
14-05-11, 09:42
"The city is at war"; Haha! Makes me laugh that the hackers are getting hacked now. Might be wrong, but it amuses me.

jamieoliver22
14-05-11, 09:56
A DoS attack isn't 'hacking' at all. Obviously people are going to be against Anon's actions and have retaliated as such.

Dionysus
14-05-11, 09:56
The world of hackery is one that baffles me but keeps me mesmerized. I mean I probably should be angry with them for what they do, but it takes so much intelligence that I admire their determination.

jackali
14-05-11, 10:02
It's my understanding that the fundamental split in the group happened some time ago. This is just the first move. D4.

lara c. fan
14-05-11, 11:45
^Battleships? :p
A DoS attack isn't 'hacking' at all. Obviously people are going to be against Anon's actions and have retaliated as such.

Yeah, I amended it to "attack" in my post, seeing as the title couldn't be changed. And 500 people's personal data (I'm guessing just email address) was stolen, so more than just a DDoS.

jackali
14-05-11, 12:40
Actually, the first move in the Queen's Gambit.
I expect to see an Indian Defence in response.

Super Badnik
14-05-11, 14:03
Why have the group split? I don't see exactly what they would disagree on.

Weemanply109
14-05-11, 14:32
My verdict:

Anonymous = The Al-Qaeda of the internet
Hackers = The terrorists of the internet
Leader of Anonymous = Osama Bin Laden of the internet.

jackali
14-05-11, 14:39
Why have the group split? I don't see exactly what they would disagree on.

There are two main factions in Anonymous. Those who have developed an ethical code brought about by having power by virtue of ability - namely that of responsibility, and those who have no ethical code brought about by a desire for power.

Super Badnik
14-05-11, 16:14
There are two main factions in Anonymous. Those who have developed an ethical code brought about by having power by virtue of ability - namely that of responsibility, and those who have no ethical code brought about by a desire for power.So basically some of them act unethically? Or some of them just take the hacking thing too far?

jackali
14-05-11, 17:34
So basically some of them act unethically? Or some of them just take the hacking thing too far?

Most of them are probably about 14 and are immature. They're being rebellious teenagers. They aren't responsible. Not to mention, the majority of those ones can't manage anything more than being part of a DDoS. There comes a time when people realise that there needs to be regulation in regards to ability. Can does not mean ought. The larger (younger and less able) faction does not understand that.

ajrich17901
14-05-11, 20:11
I call this poetic justice.

:D exactly.

Ward Dragon
14-05-11, 20:42
There are two main factions in Anonymous. Those who have developed an ethical code brought about by having power by virtue of ability - namely that of responsibility, and those who have no ethical code brought about by a desire for power.

Most of them are probably about 14 and are immature. They're being rebellious teenagers. They aren't responsible. Not to mention, the majority of those ones can't manage anything more than being part of a DDoS. There comes a time when people realise that there needs to be regulation in regards to ability. Can does not mean ought. The larger (younger and less able) faction does not understand that.

Thanks for explaining that :) The article failed to mention what the disagreement was over. My first thought was that maybe part of Anonymous was responsible for the PSN attack and the other part got angry at them, or something like that.

Amiyo
14-05-11, 20:57
AnonOps.net, generally a meeting place for planning denial-of-service attacksI'm a non-native English speaker, what do these attacks mean?

lara c. fan
14-05-11, 20:58
I'm a non-native English speaker, what do these attacks mean?

They overwhelm the server with lots of requests to connect, essentially.

Amiyo
14-05-11, 21:02
Thanks for the explanation, lara c. fan. :)

But this sounds like there's a sort of an internet war starting... No big group is so solid that it wouldn't divide into parts that disagree with each other and start to attack to see who wins.