PDA

View Full Version : can papaya cause a miscarriage?

tombfan91
17-05-11, 20:36
I was making some papaya salad for my friends. One of my friends is currently pregnant. My mom suddenly told me she was not allowed to have any papaya because it could cause a miscarriage or something. Just wondering if any of you guys no further information on that?

Mikky
17-05-11, 20:41
You could always just google it.

Rai
17-05-11, 20:41
That's news to me. I didn't come across that advice when I was pregnant. But the only real way to find out is to ask a doctor. Your friend should have been given advice about what she can and cannot eat already, or can get a list.

xXhayleyroxXx
17-05-11, 20:44
In a large amount yeah. So do hot baths apparently :p

tombfan91
17-05-11, 21:05
That's news to me. I didn't come across that advice when I was pregnant. But the only real way to find out is to ask a doctor. Your friend should have been given advice about what she can and cannot eat already, or can get a list.

hmmm i should probably ask her about that. Its weird because I never knew about that either until my mom told me about it. She said that women in her country used this method as a means of abortion or something like that. I thought it was kind of interesting. I could just google it as someone already mentioned, but I just thought I would see if anybody else here knew anything about it.

Rai
17-05-11, 21:11
In a large amount yeah. So do hot baths apparently :p

Hot baths is for inducing labour.

xXhayleyroxXx
17-05-11, 21:12
Hot baths is for inducing labour.

my mum told me it caused miscarriages? D:
Oh well :vlol:

Apathetic
17-05-11, 21:12
When in doubt throw it out.

Tonyrobinson
17-05-11, 22:07
my mum told me it caused abortions? D:
Well isn't labour basically the same thing but a joyful less messy side of it with the living child coming out, I'm male so I don't know the full details but I'd imagine the vagina would widen or loosen with the hot water which induces the baby to come out. If the baby was a foetus maybe the same would happen but since it's too small it'd just die. I dunno, I'm a guy. :o

Snazabaz
17-05-11, 22:24

I'm gonna guess you ment miscarriage? :p

But yeah, I never heard this either it sounds a bit random :s

laralives
17-05-11, 23:58

LMAO :vlol:

!Lara Croft!
18-05-11, 00:41
Both hot baths and papaya induce labour id guess, and if the kid isnt ready to come out it would be a misscarrage.

innocentvenus
18-05-11, 03:16
I read only if you eat it in really large amounts, but I wouldn't think one in awhile would cause a miscarriage.

The best thing to do is ask a doctor.

xXhayleyroxXx
18-05-11, 07:29

Lmao, I so did as well :vlol:

I wasn't thinking xD haha

Dark Lugia 2
18-05-11, 17:37
If thers any chance, even if its in large amounts, you're better off not putting it in :p

tombfan91
18-05-11, 19:03
^
thanks for the comments everyone. Yea im most likely not gonna have my friend eat any.

NRO.
18-05-11, 19:10
Could someone explain HOW? Do the seeds of the papaya have somekind of super powers?

I would seriously doubt it.

xXhayleyroxXx
18-05-11, 19:16
Could someone explain HOW? Do the seeds of the papaya have somekind of super powers?

I think its something to do with the chemicals/ingredients in it which induce contractions.

Dark Lugia 2
18-05-11, 19:21

It is speculated that the latex concentration of unripe papayas may cause uterine contractions, which may lead to a miscarriage..

NRO.
18-05-11, 19:35
Oh.

Carry on then.