PDA

View Full Version : Aids cured at last?

Tombraiderx08
18-05-11, 00:01
“If you’re able to take the white cells from someone and manipulate them so they’re no longer infected, or infectable, no longer infectable by HIV, and those white cells become the whole immune system of that individual, you’ve got essentially a functional cure,” http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/05/16/apparent-immunity-gene-cures-bay-area-man-of-aids/

MattTR
18-05-11, 00:04
If this is true.. then this day makes a moment in history. :eek:

Spong
18-05-11, 00:06
Definitely one for the ages if it pans out :tmb:

Tonyrobinson
18-05-11, 00:26
Thank God if this is true, I've heard lots of stories about them being spread about in clubs where I go to. Not that I'm easy I'd never hook up in a bar. But if this is true then thats revolutionary. :)

larafan25
18-05-11, 00:36
Well damn, this will be nice for a lot of people!:)

Apathetic
18-05-11, 00:40
Of course, leave it to the media to blow this one out of proportion. I stopped believing at "..may be the first person ever cured..".

Aids isn't cured, sorry to disappoint everybody. It's a result of an HIV immunity gene.

larafan25
18-05-11, 00:41
Of course, leave it to the media to blow this one out of proportion. I stopped believing at "..may be the first person ever cured..".

Aids isn't cured, sorry to disappoint everybody. It's a result of an HIV immunity gene.

**** off Kesha.:mad:

leglion
18-05-11, 00:43

From someone else?

laralives
18-05-11, 00:44
Well let's hope it's true. :) And solves this issue once and for all..

leglion
18-05-11, 00:48
Since the gene only exists in Caucasians, i wonder if the cure can work on Asians, African Americans, Africans, Native Americans, etc.?
Forgive me if that's a stupid question. I'm no genealogist. :p

Apathetic
18-05-11, 00:59
From someone else?

"..However, doctors stressed Brown's radical procedure may not be suitable to many other people with HIV because of the difficulty in doing stem cell transplants and finding the right donor."

Nope, not cured. :wve:

Encore
18-05-11, 01:00
Since the gene only exists in Caucasians, i wonder if the cure can work on Asians, African Americans, Africans, Native Americans, etc.?

GOD IS RACIST

http://i55.************/2pq9flz.jpg

leglion
18-05-11, 01:01
"..However, doctors stressed Brown's radical procedure may not be suitable to many other people with HIV because of the difficulty in doing stem cell transplants and finding the right donor."

Nope, not cured. :wve:

difficult not impossible. A lot of surgeries are difficult but have a big success rating. Not to mention that doesn't support your last post.

Alpharaider47
18-05-11, 01:02

Are you suggesting that the "cure" may be racist? :p

leglion
18-05-11, 01:03
Are you suggesting that the "cure" may be racist? :p

I'm not suggesting anything. They said the gene can only be found in Caucasians so i was wondering if it worked like blood types. :p

Chocola teapot
18-05-11, 01:15
I hope this contributes to a cure. :')

Apathetic
18-05-11, 01:33
I hope this contributes to a cure. :')

That's more like it.

Tombraiderx08
18-05-11, 02:06

Debbie Downer :p

Lizard of Oz
18-05-11, 03:15
That would be like awesome!! :jmp:

Ward Dragon
18-05-11, 03:52

He got a transplant of bone marrow from somebody whose white blood cells are naturally immune to HIV. Bone marrow makes blood cells, so the transplanted bone marrow made a lot of immune white blood cells for the HIV patient which helped his body fight off the virus.

I don't think doctors consider race when giving transplants (blood type is much more important) so it should theoretically work for someone of any race as long as a transplant match could be found. The transplanted organ keeps its original DNA so it would keep making immune white blood cells no matter what race the HIV patient was.

NRO.
18-05-11, 12:39
We have a cure for AIDS and now the world is going to flippin end.

D:

Rai
18-05-11, 12:45
So I guess this is a really good start. I read about a pill that has been tested on monkeys that have a monkey version of HIV and they've seen good results. It would be great if a cure was found. :tmb: