PDA

View Full Version : The Great Recession's Lost Generation

Solice
20-05-11, 06:35
This must be crushing for them. (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/112754/recession-lost-generation-cnnmoney):( I am more and more convinced that learning a trade is a better investment.

Two years and your a nurse or electronic technician from a community college, or four years at Princeton and a liberal arts degree, ungodly debt, and living with your parents. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

I have a crappy management degree and could not find work. I then went back to community college and got a job in IT.

Alpharaider47
20-05-11, 06:58
It's kind of scary that this is happening. I'm trying to get a degree in Anthropology-Archaeology, but if I can't find a job I don't think I'll have too many options. I really don't know what I'd do, there aren't any other careers that I'm really interested in enough to spend my life doing other than joining the military or pursuing a less than legal means of procuring artifacts :whi:

jajay119
20-05-11, 07:07
It's all about the degree you're training in, I'm doing a language degree, which could lead me anywhere. I speak French, Spanish and English, SO I could go get a job in any country where those langauges are prevalent. Also I'll be doing a PGCE to teach, which is also good as there is a serious lack of Language, Science and Maths teachers at the moment. A few years after my degree I plan on going back to college to study Physics and Chemistry which will also boost my job opertunities.

There is always going to be saturated job markets, you just have to know what to pick, look at Nursing and general NHS jobs. They do not require a degree but there is still a high unemployment rate amongst that sector, as will there be amongst many 'trades' such as construction and plumbing that have seen a rise in young people training in them over the last few years. There's more problems to finding a job than the recession!

Solice
21-05-11, 06:23
It's kind of scary that this is happening. I'm trying to get a degree in Anthropology-Archaeology, but if I can't find a job I don't think I'll have too many options. I really don't know what I'd do, there aren't any other careers that I'm really interested in enough to spend my life doing other than joining the military or pursuing a less than legal means of procuring artifacts :whi:

I know it's a very interesting topic, but did you think about life beyond college when you choose that major?

Mr.Burns
21-05-11, 15:20
Saw it years and years ago. No one believed me. Industry and trade helped build this economy, it could very well help save it. There are plenty of trade jobs and these are jobs that CAN'T be shipped overseas. It's odd, there was a time when blue collar jobs were respectable, now they're by a lot of people, sneered down on. In today's economy, just having a job, let alone a full time job, it's not something to look down on.