PDA

View Full Version : "Don't say gay" bill PASSED in Tennessee

lance6439
21-05-11, 17:43
Tennessee’s Senate has passed a bill that proposes to introduce a ban of discussing homosexuality within schools.

The bill, approved by 5 votes to 4 at the Senate will ban all teachers in public elementary and middle schools from talking about the subject.

The legislation, known as the ‘don’t say gay bill’, has been compared to the UK’s hated Section 28 law, which was repealed in 2003.

Senator Roy Herron of Dresden said: “I am concerned that, with the bill as amended now, that we may inadvertently prevent the teaching of ethics or morality, and that we may inadvertently preclude the teaching of abstinence.”

Mr Campfield claims his bill is neutral and is not anti-gay.

In an interview with CNN, he said: “My bill is neutral. It doesn’t say anybody can speak for it or against it. So, I’m sure people wouldn’t want someone coming out and saying, you know, there are some people who say, you know, we should be preaching against it and saying it’s evil, dirty and wrong, or some people say hey, it’s great, wonderful thing.”

“I don’t think that’s appropriate,” he added. “Like I said, I think we need to let the families decide that.”

Mr Campfield has been pushing for the law for years.

According to On Top magazine, he compared homosexuality to bestiality during an interview in 2009.

Speaking to Sirius XM’s Michelangelo Signorile, he said: “If I want to talk about the bestiality movement, do you think we should be teaching that?”

Mr Campfield also claimed that homosexuality was a “learned behaviour”.
The Tennessee Equality Project said the bill could lead to more gay teen suicides.

“We believe it’s a ploy to advance a social agenda into the classroom,” chairman Jonathan Cole told FoxNews.com.

“And we think it will create an unsafe environment for kids who may be gay, lesbian, transgender or just have questions.”

He added that it would prevent anti-bullying initiatives and ban counsellors from speaking to children who are worried about their sexuality.

“So if they witness a kid being bullied because of sexual orientation, how will they be able to deal with that?” he said.

Similar legislation was introduced in the UK in 1988.

shock. .. no emotions.

Well, look what we have here.
The passing of this bill is just plain awful. It means that teachers/schools are not allowed to mention 'gay/gay behavior' in school at all until 9th grade. This is just awful for all our young gay teens and children, and children with gay parents, and the progression of society in learning to tolerate everyone's differences.
I really hate America, sometimes.

Legend of Lara
21-05-11, 17:45
According to On Top magazine, he compared homosexuality to bestiality during an interview in 2009.

lol to the wut

Chocola teapot
21-05-11, 17:46
Meanies.

lance6439
lol to the wut

two guys one horse i assume.

larafan25
This is why we should take advantage of our ability to rub our sexuality in people's faces.

I will be extremely open about my sexuality.

lance6439
21-05-11, 17:48
This is why we should take advantage of our ability to rub our sexuality in people's faces.

I will be extremely open about my sexuality.

America has gone down the **** drain.
it gets ****ing annoying. i hope ... ugh
hopefully gaga see's this!

Legend of Lara
21-05-11, 17:51

Because she'll know what to do? What with her being omnipotent and all.

larafan25
21-05-11, 17:52

I wouldn't say this is surprising behavior, or different really.

Or exclusive to America.

remote91

Never underestimate the power of Za GaGa.

SkyPuppy
two guys one horse i assume.

that video should have been longer. ew

larafan25
21-05-11, 17:53

Nothing in that video should have been longer than it was.

Lenochka
21-05-11, 17:54

... I can't even.

SkyPuppy
21-05-11, 17:55
... I can't even.

i know, right? apparently she's god now.

lance6439
21-05-11, 17:56

never seen it.

Encore
21-05-11, 17:57
Why should people discuss homosexuality in the classroom?

tomblover
21-05-11, 17:57
Nothing in that video should have been longer than it was.

I see what you did there. :pi:

And obviously guys, Gaga has power. She's topped Oprah in terms of being influential, so...

larafan25
21-05-11, 17:58
^So true, saw that the other day. Intense.

Well I for one hope God sees this, and fixes it.

If, no when he does come. I'll make sure I'm not on crack, or pretending to be at least.

God I love God, if God doesn't see it though, then Lady Gaga is close enough. She can threaten the state with her phallic cannon!

On a more serious and less passive aggressive note, I really do think this is ridiculous (obi) and hope it gets changed immediately. If not I will prance down the halls yelling "Gay!" through a megaphone.

TRhalloween
21-05-11, 18:01

Well it depends on what class it was. It's quite relevant to modern studies and PSE.

SkyPuppy
21-05-11, 18:02
never seen it.

two guys one horse i assume. two guys one horse i assume. two guys one horse i assume. two guys one horse i assume.

never seen it.

lance6439
21-05-11, 18:03

only heard about it.

Cochrane
21-05-11, 18:04
So this senator wants to leave it to families whether homosexuality exists or not? Yeah, that sounds like an awesome idea.

But thankfully there's a solution… http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=181370

Lenochka
21-05-11, 18:04
I see what you did there. :pi:

And obviously guys, Gaga has power. She's topped Oprah in terms of being influential, so...

Power to release good music, not snap her fingers and fix major problems. Besides, what would she do? Gyrate on senate members until they change their minds or pass out?

Phlip
21-05-11, 18:05

To educate and stamp out any potential homophobia. Why should it specifically be banned?

IceColdLaraCroft
21-05-11, 18:21
Wait....was this not to discuss homosexuality or to get people to stop saying "that's gay?"

Dustie
21-05-11, 18:22

Why should they be banned from doing so, if they wish? People have to have the right to voice their opinions and discuss. If it wasn't Martin Luther King speaking up about the rights for black people, how would the USA's racial issues look now?

I never favored the 'gay is the new black' motto, because I thought it was an overstatement to throw both in the same box, but it does seem like were about to start questioning whether homosexual people are humans to begin with, just like people back in the day tried guessing whether black people in Africa are just as human as Caucasians!

What is wrong with people, are we going backwards or something?...

laralives
21-05-11, 18:26
Wait....was this not to discuss homosexuality or to get people to stop saying "that's gay?"

Discuss homosexuality is what I understood from it...

lance6439
21-05-11, 18:26

nothing related to gay til 9th grade.

Super Badnik
21-05-11, 18:34
Why should people discuss homosexuality in the classroom?Because they obviously need to. That will be the case until homophobia no longer exists.

What is wrong with people, are we going backwards or something?...No, not really. You mentioned the plight of black people, its comparable to what was happening with that. Wherever there is social progress there will always be conservative or bigoted politicians fighting against it. They always lose in the end though.

IceColdLaraCroft
21-05-11, 18:36
Discuss homosexuality is what I understood from it...

nothing related to gay til 9th grade.

ok. so when they're 15/14 you can discuss it.

I honestly don't see a problem. The topic of sexuality and "sex education" shouldn't really be an issue until 9th grade (High School).

Parents are the main influence on their children it's THEIR responsibility to discuss sex, safe sex practices and if they want their child to be abstinent. It's really not the responsibility of a school.

The US education system is already :cen:ed up enough with SOLs.

Carbonek_0051
21-05-11, 18:57
Power to release good music, not snap her fingers and fix major problems. Besides, what would she do? Gyrate on senate members until they change their minds or pass out?I lol'd

Tear
21-05-11, 18:59
Two guys... one horse?

I'm afraid to even ask.

larafan25
21-05-11, 20:16
What if kids get caught talking about in school romances and crap like that?

moodydog
21-05-11, 20:35
To educate and stamp out any potential homophobia. Why should it specifically be banned?

I dont think they will come up with an excuse to justify its banning.

The chaps passing the law are obviously undenyably homaphobes.

The whole thing does seem a bit vague too. I mean what is the aim of it, is it just if your having an open chat or something at the end of a maths, or english lesson, you are allowed to talk about anything except for being gay? If it is this, how are they going to monitor this? Listen to every private conversation in lessons specifically to stop sexuality related discussions. It seems like a violation of free speech.

Or stop teaching specific PSHCE lessons inteded to discuss sexuality? If so... I didn't think they do this anyway?
Or stop giving councelling/ help to anyone who wishes to discuss private matters with their school council?

actualyl wait? how old are you at 9th grade?

larafan25
21-05-11, 20:40
Apparently Grade 9 is when they start their sort of...sex ed thing. So it just stamps out any discussions on it before then. Which I find dumb because you can still have answers about homosexuality without talking about sex.

larson n natla
21-05-11, 20:41
So much for freedom of speech. :rolleyes:

Unless it derogatory and disruptive or rude any topic should be open to conversation. Admittedly it may stop some homophobic behaviour but it will also alienate any homosexual students. People don't seem to realise that people can know their sexual orientation at a young age.

larafan25
21-05-11, 20:43
Talking about homosexuality can stop homophobia.

moodydog
21-05-11, 20:48
I generally didn't think that young kids could be tagged as stuff like 'gay' 'straigt' or 'bi' I think its all a bit too sophisticated for them and they should let their minds develop a bit... though if young kids were bullied... if it were by other kids the same age... I doubt they would have a true understanding of what that word actually means, if it is older kids calling younger kids stuff like gay... that just plain immature.

larafan25
21-05-11, 20:49
From my experiences kids in my grade were kissing each other and stuff like that far before grade 9. Creating special couples groups, etc...

Tony9595
21-05-11, 20:55

Never underestimate the power of Za GaGa.

Power to release good music, not snap her fingers and fix major problems. Besides, what would she do? Gyrate on senate members until they change their minds or pass out?

:vlol:

Seriously, I love this forum.

larson n natla
21-05-11, 20:57
From my experiences kids in my grade were kissing each other and stuff like that far before grade 9. Creating special couples groups, etc...

In a very childlike innocent way.

Whilst I think it should be discussed I see this more as a way to stop homophobia as in my experience the most popular insult/remark is the word 'gay'.

It is, however, a little short sighted as it will inevitably lead to insecurities in homosexual youth.

Simochka
21-05-11, 20:57

She actually cares and DO SOMETHING instead of saying "oh that's awful"

Thank god there are some people who actually tries to make a difference then just wishing for difference

TippingWater
21-05-11, 20:58
"Don't say gay" bill PASSED in Tennessee
Disgusting .

Nenya awakens
21-05-11, 21:04

larson n natla
21-05-11, 21:04
She actually cares and DO SOMETHING instead of saying "oh that's awful"

Thank god there are some people who actually tries to make a difference then just wishing for difference

She is certainly an activist rather than a supported which I admire her for. But I do agree that she isn't the be all and end all of gay rights. There were activists before and there will be in the future she just happens to have a great influence. :p

Encore
21-05-11, 23:50
Why did this discussion become about Lady Gaga?!

Why should they be banned from doing so, if they wish? People have to have the right to voice their opinions and discuss. If it wasn't Martin Luther King speaking up about the rights for black people, how would the USA's racial issues look now?

I never favored the 'gay is the new black' motto, because I thought it was an overstatement to throw both in the same box, but it does seem like were about to start questioning whether homosexual people are humans to begin with, just like people back in the day tried guessing whether black people in Africa are just as human as Caucasians!

What is wrong with people, are we going backwards or something?...

When I asked that question I didn't care for the actual bill, I don't support it at all anyway. I was just asking why discussing homosexuality in school is so important. In my day no sexuality was discussed there, period, and I grew up accepting the fact that the responsibility of properly educating kids in that regard belongs to the parents.

Maybe that was a backwards attitude, but the fact is that we were still one of the first countries in the world to adopt gay marriage anyway; even if the mentalities don't all stand by it, it still got approved.

Pietras
21-05-11, 23:58
When I asked that question I didn't care for the actual bill, I don't support it at all anyway. I was just asking why discussing homosexuality in school is so important. In my day no sexuality was discussed there, period, and I grew up accepting the fact that the responsibility of properly educating kids in that regard belongs to the parents.

Maybe that was a backwards attitude, but the fact is that we were still one of the first countries in the world to adopt gay marriage anyway; even if the mentalities don't all stand by it, it still got approved.
Bullying for example? Every study shows unless the issue of bullying/discrimination or any kind of intolerance is directly addressed, bullying in schools does not stop or decreases. Kids get these intolerant ideas form their parents mostly, so it's better not to leave this part of education solely up to the parents' good will (or lack of it often).

Encore
22-05-11, 00:06
Bullying for example? Every study shows unless the issue of bullying/discrimination or any kind of intolerance is directly addressed, bullying in schools does not stop or decreases. Kids get these intolerant ideas form their parents mostly, so it's better not to leave this part of education solely up to the parents' good will (or lack of it often).

What I was trying to say is that society (in my country) didn't become worst for gay people due to lack of openly discussing it in school, we turned out fine since we even approved gay marriage.

Also, I do believe society in general - through mainstream media - is helping a lot in portraying homosexuality in a positive light. Back when I was a kid, if a celebrity was gay it was a total joke for everyone, today it's totally normal and accepted.

All in all, I think tolerance towards gay people is evolving pretty fast and pretty positive, so I don't think forcing it into the school system is that important.

Mind you, I'm not properly informed on the US school system or if it needs more than ours does.

God Horus
22-05-11, 00:08
This bill is ****ing retarded. I love how whenever something like this occurs in the world, Lady Gaga will always fight to change the world. <3

Mad Tony
22-05-11, 00:12
Why is every gay thread hijacked by the Lady Gaga cultists? If I was gay I'd be royally miffed that so many of you people keep on trying to spin serious stuff like this into something to do with her.

larafan25
22-05-11, 00:14
Why is every gay thread hijacked by the Lady Gaga cultists? If I was gay I'd be royally miffed that so many of you people keep on trying to spin serious stuff like this into something to do with her.

Has more to do with liking Lady Gaga it would seem then being gay. I'm gay and I'm not miffed. I'm not excited either.

I'm not sure what she can do. However this forum certainly likes Lady Gaga (a relatively large portion I may be wrong who knows whatevs).

Mad Tony
22-05-11, 00:16
Has more to do with liking Lady Gaga it would seem then being gay. I'm gay and I'm not miffed. I'm not excited either.

I'm not sure what she can do. However this forum certainly likes Lady Gaga (a relatively large portion I may be wrong who knows whatevs).Well I'm not gay and I'm miffed. She really isn't relevant and I don't see why people keep on having to promote her in threads like this.

Encore
22-05-11, 00:16

IKR?! I just don't understand this. :/ If Lady Gaga was a homophobe or a nazi, what would happen then? :pi:

Mad Tony
22-05-11, 00:20
IKR?! I just don't understand this. :/ If Lady Gaga was a homophobe or a nazi, what would happen then? :pi:Maybe this place would go back to being a Tomb Raider forum. One can hope.

Zebra
22-05-11, 00:28
This is truly terrible. Aren't people who get far enough in politics to decide about things like this supposed to have actual brains in their heads?

Maybe this place would go back to being a Tomb Raider forum. One can hope.

Hello, Mad Tony. Welcome to Tomb Raider Forums. You're currently in the General Chat section - home to all kinds of off-topic discussions. If you're looking for discussions on Tomb Raider, you might want to check out the many forum sections dedicated to the Tomb Raider game series. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask me. Enjoy your stay at Tomb Raider Forums.

larafan25
22-05-11, 00:30
Well I'm not gay and I'm miffed. She really isn't relevant and I don't see why people keep on having to promote her in threads like this.

People seem to think she is relevant (she is, maybe low on the scale) because she is somewhat active in the gay rights arena and is in America...so...I can see why.

Dark Lugia 2
22-05-11, 00:38
I'm not really surprised. Its always the rural areas down south in the US where people are still stuck in the past. They're too scared to accept new ideas

larafan25
22-05-11, 00:39
New ideas which have been around since....

Encore
22-05-11, 00:53
People seem to think she is relevant (she is, maybe low on the scale) because she is somewhat active in the gay rights arena and is in America...so...I can see why.

Don't you think it's at least curious that none of the Gaga fans posting about her in this thread and worshipping her activism, are posting in this (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=181370) thread, which is about a famous person actually speaking out against this bill? If that video featured the singer instead of Takei, the thread would be crawling with hysteria about how much of a great person she is.

I can deal with people being obsessed with Gaga. What annoys me is this sanctimonious attitude of those who claim they love her for her activism.

larafan25
22-05-11, 00:54
Don't you think it's at least curious that none of the Gaga fans posting about her in this thread and worshipping her activism, are posting in this (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=181370) thread, which is about a famous person actually speaking out against this bill? If that video featured the singer instead of Takei, the thread would be crawling with hysteria about how much of a great person she is.

I can deal with people being obsessed with Gaga. What annoys me is this sanctimonious attitude of those who claim they love her for her activism.

I'm hardly involved and hardly give a fudge about any of this Lady Gaga TRF bull crap.

All I know is people need to care a little bit less about what the heck other people are doing. :/

God Horus
22-05-11, 01:01
Hello, Mad Tony. Welcome to Tomb Raider Forums. You're currently in the General Chat section - home to all kinds of off-topic discussions. If you're looking for discussions on Tomb Raider, you might want to check out the many forum sections dedicated to the Tomb Raider game series. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask me. Enjoy your stay at Tomb Raider Forums.

You go, Zebra :ohn:

TippingWater
22-05-11, 01:04

:tmb::hug::vlol:

IceColdLaraCroft
22-05-11, 01:42
Well I'm not gay and I'm miffed. She really isn't relevant and I don't see why people keep on having to promote her in threads like this.

I agree.

She's not the only celebrity that supports gay people. She's certainly not the first person to fight for gay rights and comparatively she's done :cen: all for gay rights. So stop bringing her up every fricking time someone starts a thread about gays.

Btw couldn't this have just been posted in the LGBT thread instead of it's own thing?

Are there even any gays in Tennessee? I'm going to take my iphone and turn on Grindr and drive through the state.

Carbonek_0051
22-05-11, 01:44
^What a surprise.
Lmao Ok, now I lol'd harder.

larafan25
22-05-11, 01:44
I agree.

She's not the only celebrity that supports gay people. She's certainly not the first person to fight for gay rights and comparatively she's done :cen: all for gay rights. So stop bringing her up every fricking time someone starts a thread about gays.

Btw couldn't this have just been posted in the LGBT thread instead of it's own thing?

Are there even any gays in Tennessee? I'm going to take my iphone and turn on Grindr and drive through the state.

LOL.

However I do hate the idea of all gay related topics being confined to the LGBT thread. Or any threads for that matter.:pi:

Carbonek_0051
22-05-11, 01:47
LOL.

However I do hate the idea of all gay related topics being confined to the LGBT thread. Or any threads for that matter.:pi:

I don't, keep those gays in their place! lol

As for the topic, I'm not bothered, I mean yeah it's BS that kids can't go talk to the school counselor now because that really helps some kids. I am hoping they have alternatives to speak to. But at the same time, sexuality in general shouldn't be discussed (gay or straight) in classrooms. I think something should be tweaked for the counselor situation however.

Apathetic
22-05-11, 01:49
As for the topic, I'm not bothered, I mean yeah it's BS that kids can't go talk to the school counselor now because that really helps some kids. I am hoping they have alternatives to speak to. But at the same time, sexuality in general shouldn't be discussed (gay or straight) in classrooms.

Why?

Carbonek_0051
22-05-11, 01:51
Why?

Why exactly does it need to be talked about? School is for learning, no? I don't see any gain from teaching kids about sexuality. It's not necessary. Like I said, the rules about anti-bullying orginizations & the counselor ban need to be changed, that's my only issue with this.

IceColdLaraCroft
22-05-11, 01:53
I don't, keep those gays in their place! lol

As for the topic, I'm not bothered, I mean yeah it's BS that kids can't go talk to the school counselor now because that really helps some kids. I am hoping they have alternatives to speak to. But at the same time, sexuality in general shouldn't be discussed (gay or straight) in classrooms.

You're assuming that guidance counselor's are trained to handle such things. by and large they are NOT required to have any training is psychology. And in a state like Tennessee socially it isn't accepted.

So you could have a gay student going to someone that tells them they need to talk to a pastor or that there's something wrong with them. Rather than being supportive.

patriots88888
22-05-11, 01:55
Isn't sex ed taught in public schools anymore? It was standard faire when I was in the 5th grade. Oh my how times have changed.

Carbonek_0051
22-05-11, 01:57
You're assuming that guidance counselor's are trained to handle such things. by and large they are NOT required to have any training is psychology. And in a state like Tennessee socially it isn't accepted.

So you could have a gay student going to someone that tells them they need to talk to a pastor or that there's something wrong with them. Rather than being supportive.

I never said I assumed that, I just think it sucks kids can't go to the counselor if they feel like it would help them. I mean I used to talk to my counselor all the time in the 7th grade and it helped A LOT. That's all I am saying.

And sure that could be a scenario and I am not shooting that down, but I am just saying I would hate for this to make some kids feel like they can't talk to anyone about it if they are really worried about it.
Isn't sex ed taught in public schools anymore? It was standard faire when I was in the 5th grade. Oh my how times have changed.Not sure, it was when I was in the 7th grade. My parents never let me participate though, and I knew quite a few who couldn't either. xD

IceColdLaraCroft
22-05-11, 01:57
Isn't sex ed taught in public schools anymore? It was standard faire when I was in the 5th grade. Oh my how times have changed.

When i was in 5th grade they separated us into boy/girl groups and our math teacher asked if we had any questions. There weren't any male teachers at my school. She was very frank about everything.

I liked boys i didn't see any point about learning how you could get a girl pregnant. Wasn't going to happen :vlol:

Beans-Bot
22-05-11, 02:15
(Yeah, even as a Gaga fan, I can see that this has nothing to do with her. WTF, people. :confused:)

I wish stuff like this surprised me anymore. But we could bitch up and down about it on a forum or actually do something about it. I suggest the latter. ;) The reason why bills like these get passed is because people don't do enough to fight against them. I don't see why Americans are so lax towards their government yet so quick to complain when things go through the ****ter.

EmeraldFields
22-05-11, 02:20

For me, it started in 4th and 5th grade with videos about puberty. 7th grade featured some sex ed. It wasn't thoroughly discussed until 11th grade. And in that health class, sex was almost demonized. :p It's grouped in with other "risky behaviors" like drugs and alcohol.

My parents really never discussed it with me either. Where I learned the most about sex was from my own research (books, tv, and online sources) or from friends who knew more about the subject than I did.

To bring this back on topic, homosexuality was only mentioned in school when talking about HIV/AIDS and how homosexual males are at most risk of getting HIV/AIDS. We also watched the movie 'Philadelphia' with Tom Hanks. :p

Cochrane
22-05-11, 08:17
Why exactly does it need to be talked about? School is for learning, no? I don't see any gain from teaching kids about sexuality. It's not necessary. Like I said, the rules about anti-bullying orginizations & the counselor ban need to be changed, that's my only issue with this.

But sexuality and sexual orientation in particular are important issue.s Otherwise we wouldn't be having all these debates about them. The issue with homosexuality is not just sex, but equality for all. I do think children should be informed about major social issues itheir society. Even if their parents want to pretend these issues do not exist.

Paddy
22-05-11, 08:20
But sexuality and sexual orientation in particular are important issue.s Otherwise we wouldn't be having all these debates about them. The issue with homosexuality is not just sex, but equality for all. I do think children should be informed about major social issues itheir society. Even if their parents want to pretend these issues do not exist.

Have to agree, I think with more understanding on these issues more tolerance can be created. I don't understand why people think this is not important?

Phlip
22-05-11, 09:54
Why exactly does it need to be talked about? School is for learning, no?

Educating kids about it would stamp out any homophobia and give them an understanding.

lara c. fan
22-05-11, 10:00
Educating kids about it would stamp out any homophobia and give them an understanding.

No it wouldn't. Not entirely, in any case.

Mad Tony
22-05-11, 10:07
No it wouldn't. Not entirely, in any case.Exactly. It would be nice if simply educating people about stuff stamped out prejudice but it doesn't.

Phlip
22-05-11, 10:13
I can't see how it WOULDN'T stamp it out. :confused: Homophobes need educating, so so do potential ones.

Mad Tony
22-05-11, 10:14
I can't see how it WOULDN'T stamp it out. :confused: Homophobes need educating, so so do potential ones.Tell me, has racism been stamped out?

Paddy
22-05-11, 10:15
Exactly. It would be nice if simply educating people about stuff stamped out prejudice but it doesn't.

No doubt it wouldn't stamp it out completely as there always will be some form of intolerance but it could reduce it a fair bit if people are educated about it.

Minty Mouth
22-05-11, 10:18
Indoctrination is a powerful tool. Teaching children homosexuality is okay from an early age is going to make our next generation more tolerant at no negative cost.

I still think sex-ed should be taught as soon as children get that natural curiosity. Keeping children ignorant about these matters to retain their innocence is a very Victorian-esque construction that really deserves no place. Really, keeping that innocence does nothing but make sexuality seem shameful. (The opposite of innocence is guilt after all!) Separating sex-ed form the curriculum and making it the responsibility of parents is just another way of shaming people for the very presence of their sexuality, whatever it is. Teach the reproductive system like you teach the digestive system. What's the difference? If anything the former is more pressing.

Necromanser
22-05-11, 11:50
Reminds me of Kevin "Bloody" Wilsons song " you can't say **** in canada".

In all seriousness the bill is just ridiculous. While I agree that children shouldn't be exposed to any sexual education early in life, they should at least be taught it during their middle school years. Why is it that people can't get it round their heads that gays are just as equal as the rest of us.

patriots88888
22-05-11, 12:01
My parents really never discussed it with me either.

I still think sex-ed should be taught as soon as children get that natural curiosity. Keeping children ignorant about these matters to retain their innocence is a very Victorian-esque construction that really deserves no place. Really, keeping that innocence does nothing but make sexuality seem shameful. (The opposite of innocence is guilt after all!) Separating sex-ed form the curriculum and making it the responsibility of parents is just another way of shaming people for the very presence of their sexuality, whatever it is. Teach the reproductive system like you teach the digestive system. What's the difference? If anything the former is more pressing.

I couldn't agree more. I remember the following year after sex-ed (I believe I was about 11) my mom had bought me a book and told me she wanted me to take a look at it. I got the first page opened and looked up at her and told her I had already learned about this stuff the year before in school. I'll never forget the relieved look on her face when I said that. I imagine it's not an easy subject for parents to broach with their children... so sex-ed in schools provides another beneficial option, which is good IMO.

TRfan23
22-05-11, 12:25
I went to a Catholic School, so Sex Ed was limited.

We learned the general typical stuff, but we couldn't have an illustration of a condom being put on a Penis and some other stuff.

cezy rockeru
22-05-11, 12:45
I'm 14 and I never talked with my parents abouth anything like this.
We don't even have Sex Ed at school.

Jester Head
22-05-11, 13:15
Anyway, the problem is not "why would they need to talk about it?". It's "they should be able to talk about it, if they wanted to". Regardless of your opinion if homosexuallity should or should not, in a certain context, be discussed, I still think forbidding it is a stupid thing.

Pietras
22-05-11, 13:38
I couldn't agree more. I remember the following year after sex-ed (I believe I was about 11) my mom had bought me a book and told me she wanted me to take a look at it. I got the first page opened and looked up at her and told her I had already learned about this stuff the year before in school. I'll never forget the relieved look on her face when I said that. I imagine it's not an easy subject for parents to broach with their children... so sex-ed in schools provides another beneficial option, which is good IMO.
Same here, my parents didn't talk about it with me either, they just bought me a book a thought (hoped?) that was enough. The concept of "letting the parents educate children about this" is technically great as parents know their children the best and all, but the reality is that MANY parents are often too ashamed to talk about it and it's completely understandable. Me and most of my friends got our knowledge from everyone and everywhere but our parents. And that's often a problem. That's where myths and false information comes from, especially about contraception and diseases. Diseases especially are largely unknown as no one wants to talk about it (it's ew, gross etc).

That's why I'm totally for good sex-ed in schools. Providing professional and factual information on this subject is not hard, it just has to be done by someone who's not the kids friends & family and thus would feel "ashamed" to talk about it at all or any particular sex-related subject (diseases).

Isaac
22-05-11, 14:00
Tell me, has racism been stamped out?

No, but we can easily say that 'racial people' can go out in the street without attracting attention or without fearing to be judged or beaten... Gay people can't for now...

@Carbonek : Of course, a school is a place to learn, that's why learning about the sexuality and the sexual orientations should be accepted.

leglion
22-05-11, 14:06
That's where myths and false information comes from, especially about contraception and diseases. Diseases especially are largely unknown as no one wants to talk about it (it's ew, gross etc).

You would not believe some of the things i heard about in 6th grade sex-ed. :rolleyes: I heard things like you can get AIDS by touching someone, only Africans can get it, white people can't get it, it's a gay disease, etc.
Maybe it's because i was born in a country where we learn about sex and STD's at a very early age, but that is dumb, that is SO DUMB. :cen:

scoopy_loopy
22-05-11, 14:07

Superfluous much?

leglion
22-05-11, 14:09

Superfluous much?

Are you referring to me? :pi:

coolaideonfire
22-05-11, 14:12
I'm always surprised how often people grow up believing that false information and then continue to believe it through adulthood but I know it's because of poor sex education at school and a lack of information being available to them afterwards.

The only cure for ignorance is education and education should start in school.

patriots88888
22-05-11, 14:19
Same here, my parents didn't talk about it with me either, they just bought me a book a thought (hoped?) that was enough. The concept of "letting the parents educate children about this" is technically great as parents know their children the best and all, but the reality is that MANY parents are often too ashamed to talk about it and it's completely understandable.

Yup! While I can't say for certain, I believe if I had any questions my mom would have done the best that she could to answer them. I wasn't implying that she wouldn't be a helpful person in this this respect, only that I can see how initiating this type of discussion can be difficult and I can fully understand why it might be awkward for any parent to do so.

I often get the impression that parents hope that someone else will 'take care of it', which is why I believe it is important for children at the appropriate age(s) to have that reliable and trustworthy outlet to get that information and to provide the answers to any questions that they may have on the subject.

Sakkemix
22-05-11, 15:12

Speaking to Sirius XM’s Michelangelo Signorile, he said: “If I want to talk about the bestiality movement, do you think we should be teaching that?”

.... *sigh* Sorry about this but can't keep it inside me...

WILL THEY EVER LEARN THAT HOMOSEXUALITY IS IN THE GENES, NOT LEARNED BEHAVIOR, DAMNIT!!! And it's not bestiality either...

Thank you.. :o

scoopy_loopy
22-05-11, 16:23
Are you referring to me? :pi:

Oh no, I only read the OP.

Lizard of Oz
24-05-11, 02:50
I can't believe this is happening in America. After all that progress???? Seriously???

ozzman
24-05-11, 02:57
the anti gay bull needs to stop, i don't see a reason for this at all

interstellardave
24-05-11, 11:55
I'm always surprised how often people grow up believing that false information and then continue to believe it through adulthood but I know it's because of poor sex education at school and a lack of information being available to them afterwards.

The only cure for ignorance is education and education should start in school.

It should start at home.

jajay119
24-05-11, 11:56
^I agree, sexuality isn't an adcademic subject but you should always have more than one point of education on it!

Ward Dragon
24-05-11, 21:01
I don't remember sexuality coming up during class at all until high school anyway, so I don't understand why Tennessee felt the need to ban talking about sexuality in class before high school :confused: Is Tennessee really that different from New York when it comes to what is taught in school?

StarCroft:AOD
28-06-11, 13:40
shock. .. no emotions.

Well, look what we have here.
The passing of this bill is just plain awful. It means that teachers/schools are not allowed to mention 'gay/gay behavior' in school at all until 9th grade. This is just awful for all our young gay teens and children, and children with gay parents, and the progression of society in learning to tolerate everyone's differences.
I really hate America, sometimes.

Tennessee’s Senate has passed a bill that proposes to introduce a ban of discussing homosexuality within schools.

The bill, approved by 5 votes to 4 at the Senate will ban all teachers in public elementary and middle schools from talking about the subject.

The legislation, known as the ‘don’t say gay bill’, has been compared to the UK’s hated Section 28 law, which was repealed in 2003.

Senator Roy Herron of Dresden said: “I am concerned that, with the bill as amended now, that we may inadvertently prevent the teaching of ethics or morality, and that we may inadvertently preclude the teaching of abstinence.”

Mr Campfield claims his bill is neutral and is not anti-gay.

In an interview with CNN, he said: “My bill is neutral. It doesn’t say anybody can speak for it or against it. So, I’m sure people wouldn’t want someone coming out and saying, you know, there are some people who say, you know, we should be preaching against it and saying it’s evil, dirty and wrong, or some people say hey, it’s great, wonderful thing.”

“I don’t think that’s appropriate,” he added. “Like I said, I think we need to let the families decide that.”

Mr Campfield has been pushing for the law for years.

The Tennessee Equality Project said the bill could lead to more gay teen suicides.

“We believe it’s a ploy to advance a social agenda into the classroom,” chairman Jonathan Cole told FoxNews.com.

“And we think it will create an unsafe environment for kids who may be gay, lesbian, transgender or just have questions.”

He added that it would prevent anti-bullying initiatives and ban counsellors from speaking to children who are worried about their sexuality.

“So if they witness a kid being bullied because of sexual orientation, how will they be able to deal with that?” he said.

Similar legislation was introduced in the UK in 1988. :yik:

That's plain stupid. I don't want my children to listen to some ignorant teacher what are we are or what we aren't. I have had enough of 'qualified' people talking about us like we are some sort of freak.(The OMS, sigmund freud, piaget, the bible, the ****ing media) They don't know ****. We are just human beings.:mad:

Please I want to educate my family about that, not the ****ing schools. thank you.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-06-11, 14:54
That is disgusting :/ What the hell is wrong with people.

interstellardave
28-06-11, 16:20
I support the idea that schools--especially pre-highschool--should not deal with issues of sexuality and gender roles at all. That's not what school is for. Kids are learning precious little actual knowledge in schools as it is and they already have enough things distracting them from learning. School should be a place where they are actually focused on old-school style learning; not social indoctrination of ANY kind. Leave that for family and other organizations.

TRfan23
28-06-11, 16:28
The only problem I really have with this bill is that if a student talks about gay people to another student, what then?

Would they then get arrested?

What if even one came out at school? Would they even get arrested to?

toxicraider
28-06-11, 16:46
The only problem I really have with this bill is that if a student talks about gay people to another student, what then?

Would they then get arrested?

What if even one came out at school? Would they even get arrested to?

It refers to teachers teaching about homosexuality, not just people discussing it inside a school, so no, none of those things would be against the rule. This isn't really either good or bad, since it also means it's illegal to teach that homosexuality is wrong (which is perfectly legal in the UK IIRC).

Anyway, bump much?

DgoOdz94
28-06-11, 16:47
Wow just wow. :rolleyes:

Self is filled with disappointment. SMH.

trXD
28-06-11, 16:56
Can't tell you how upset this makes me, such a huge and revolting step back. Kids are going to grow up feeling like freaks, we are supposed to be setting a good ****ing example.

Because she's one of the most powerful people in the world right now and she is hugely against the bill?

Mad Tony
28-06-11, 16:58
Because she's one of the most powerful people in the world right now and she is hugely against the bill?I haven't thread the entire thread but please tell me you're not referring to Lady Gaga?

trXD
28-06-11, 17:12
Yes I am.

If you have something to say it should probably be in my profile page. (though I doubt I'm too interested)

TRfan23
28-06-11, 17:34
It refers to teachers teaching about homosexuality, not just people discussing it inside a school, so no, none of those things would be against the rule. This isn't really either good or bad, since it also means it's illegal to teach that homosexuality is wrong (which is perfectly legal in the UK IIRC).

Okies, that makes sense.

Anyway, bump much?

I didn't bump the thread :/

If you look back you might find that StarCroft:AOD did :p

Mad Tony
28-06-11, 17:46
Yes I am.

If you have something to say it should probably be in my profile page. (though I doubt I'm too interested)Wow.

She's one of the most powerful people in the entertainment industry for sure, but in the world? Not a chance. Nowhere near.

toxicraider
28-06-11, 17:49
Okies, that makes sense.

I didn't bump the thread :/

If you look back you might find that StarCroft:AOD did :p

Oh I know, I didn't mean to aim that specifically at you. xD

trXD
28-06-11, 17:49
Oh, sorry. I definitely meant celebrity, not person :p

scoopy_loopy
28-06-11, 18:04
I can't remember if I've already posted in this thread and if I did what my opinion was back then. I refuse to sit 60 seconds waiting before trf will bring up any and all my posts in this tread.

But anyway, as it is, I think the law is mostly fine. The guy behind seems a /total/ douche, but eh, most people who get their voices heard and make decisions for the rest of us are. I, personally, don't really think there's a place for teachers to be discussing gay/bi/straight or whatever, not in front of a class anyway and they should NOT be allowed to express their personal beliefs. Just like they should be allowed to discuss religion, or their political leanings.

That being said, if a class is dealing with... who knows, Oscar Wilde (or whomever) in English and the topic naturally comes up - THEN, the teacher should be allowed to discuss the matter impartially, and let the class handle opinions. It would be vastly inappropriate for a teacher to say something like, "the faggy Dorian Gray", for example -- and I would hope the teacher would step in if a class member was incapable of expressing themselves without becoming derogatory.

Another (obvious) example would be something like health class/sex ed. etc., the teacher should of course be allowed to field questions relating to these issues. But again, they should state facts and remain impartial, impersonal and shouldn't express personal opinions.

Thirdly, and the last example I can think of right now -- would be if a student came up a teacher privately with concerns and/or questions. The teacher should be allowed a little more free reign here. For instance, I wouldn't want laws to make students feel like they couldn't couldn't go to a trusted/looked-up-to teacher with personal problems like dealing with or being bullied because of their sexuality.

kooky
01-07-11, 15:34
Truly, I think this is the right thing to do. It is really sad for homosexuals to be insulted by "homophobes", like it is not the norm in society. What is also terrible is that you have many teenagers who are "closeted" gays/lesbians, basically hiding their homosexual status from their parents/family until they move out of the house. The reason I believe this is necessary, is because homosexuals deserved to be treated equally like anyone else & not discriminated against. Sure many businesses/places of operation prohibit discrimination of any kind, but it really depends on the individuals views & what they feel is wrong. Many religions, no attacks, especially Christianity & Islam are very radical against homosexuality. This is due to the fact that many people who a man loving a woman is the norm. For what I believe love is love regardless of sexual orientation, it is beautiful in every way whether a man loves a woman, woman loves another woman, or man loves another man.

Caesum
01-07-11, 15:45
I don't care for as long as it's not "Don't be gay".

Pietras
01-07-11, 17:43
I don't care for as long as it's not "Don't be gay".
Banning discussion on it sends exactly this kind of a message. If something's banned, kids think it's something that shouldn't be done, something evil etc. Otherwise why wouldn't it be discussed? So think twice