PDA

View Full Version : ilookforward.com Has 11 Predictions For 2030

Avalon SARL
23-05-11, 18:22
1. By 2030, learning a second language will no longer be necessary.

2. By 2030, thousands, perhaps millions, of people will have a life expectancy of 150 years.

3. By 2030, only 2% of the world's population will live in extreme poverty.

4. By 2030, the best food will be grown in skyscrapers.

5. By 2030, driverless cars will be commonplace.

6. By 2030, 18 cities will have more than 20 million inhabitants, and New York City will be the 16th largest city in the world.

7. By 2030, automated flying drones will transport humans.

8. By 2030, space tourism will be common, and 40,000 humans will be working in orbit.

9. By 2030, most film actors will be out of work due to competition from cheap computer animated actors.

10. By 2030, China will have 250 cities with more than one million inhabitants.

11. By 2030, a large number of people will have robot lovers.

It is better to read Full article here: http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/12/ilookforwardcom-has-11-predictions-for.html

I like the most the first option; sounds amazing if it truly happens :D

Mad Tony
23-05-11, 18:29
It is better to read Full article here: http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/12/ilookforwardcom-has-11-predictions-for.html

I like the most the first option; sounds amazing if it truly happens :D By 2030, China will have 250 cities with more than one million inhabitants.

By 2030, 18 cities will have more than 20 million inhabitants, and New York City will be the 16th largest city in the world.

Those are the only ones that seem anywhere close to plausible to me. The most ridiculous one has got to be the one about thousands perhaps millions of people having a life expectancy of 150 by 2030. Come off it. The oldest person ever died before she reached 125 let alone 150.

sandygrimm
23-05-11, 18:31
8. By 2030, space tourism will be common, and 40,000 humans will be working in orbit.

to this I have some reservations due to expenses :p but if it gets cheap enough I'm in :D

2. By 2030, thousands, perhaps millions, of people will have a life expectancy of 150 years. + 10. By 2030, China will have 250 cities with more than one million inhabitants. with 3. By 2030, only 2% of the world's population will live in extreme poverty. makes me wonder what line of works will be invented to keep up with the population growth

larafan25
23-05-11, 18:37
I wish.

Super Badnik
23-05-11, 18:38
2. By 2030, thousands, perhaps millions, of people will have a life expectancy of 150 years. + 10. By 2030, China will have 250 cities with more than one million inhabitants. with 3. By 2030, only 2% of the world's population will live in extreme poverty. makes me wonder what line of works will be invented to keep up with the population growthExactly. :p

Pietras
23-05-11, 18:44
LOL no. Previous decades showed how SLOW space exploration moves due to the enormous costs.

9. By 2030, most film actors will be out of work due to competition from cheap computer animated actors.
Never. If anything, CGI and video games proved you can't do anything without actual actors, real humans. We will never be able to program the next Meryl Streep.

Marianna12
23-05-11, 18:46

No thanks o_O

I doubt any of this will happen anyways, people in the past predicted that in 2010 we would have flying cars :p

[Xmas]
23-05-11, 18:47
Never. If anything, CGI and video games proved you can't do anything without actual actors, real humans. We will never be able to program the next Meryl Streep.Or Heidi Montag :whi:

interstellardave
23-05-11, 18:48
These things, taken all together, seem to cancel each other out. It's really hard to believe that populations will skyrocket, and people will live longer, but that poverty will be virtually wiped out at the same time. Somethings' got to give; perhaps it's those food-producing skyscrapers that are responsible; not a bad idea really...

trfanX34
23-05-11, 18:50
No! D:
2. By 2030, thousands, perhaps millions, of people will have a life expectancy of 150 years.
Cool :D
Nice :D
Meh.
Meh.
6. By 2030, 18 cities will have more than 20 million inhabitants, and New York City will be the 16th largest city in the world.
Meh.
Meh.
Meh.
No! D:
Meh.
Dear God no! D:

Cochrane
23-05-11, 18:51
Looking through itů

1.) Not that implausible; research in that very direction is ongoing and has shown some good results already. However, note that such AI technologies (speech recognition and automatic translation are considered part of AI) have a tendency to overpromise and underdeliver. In the 1960s, automatic translation with rule-based systems was shown to more or less fail. Today, stochastical models are evaluated instead and show huge promise, but full translation in real time, including slang and accents from speakers the system has never heard before, is extremely hard. I don't think current methods are up to the task, and I'm not sure they can be adapted for it either.

2.) I do think people will live longer lives, but that much longer? Remains to be seen.

3.) That is quite optimistic. It is very much possible, but it could go the other way around as well.

4.) I think skyscraper greenhouses are an interesting idea, but I'm not convinced they'll have that big a role, if at all.

5.) Driverless cars are becoming better and better, but commonplace by 2030? Again, highly optimistic. 20 years are a lot less than they may seem, and the car industry does not move as fast as semi-conductors and similar.

6.) That sounds OK.

7.) Not impossible, but I doubt it. Again, look how "fast" the airplane industry moves: Many of the best-selling planes were first designed more than thirty years ago. The issue isn't so much technology (that already exists), it's ensuring safety under all circumstances, including especially unforeseen ones.

8.) People promise space tourism all the time. The truth of the matter is that space travel is extremely expensive, and while it can be done cheaper than it is today, it will not become really cheap anytime soon.

9.) I'm not so sure people will be willing to accept that, life-like be damned. Theater didn't disappear with the invention of film either.

10.) Not impossible.

11.) I have doubts whether the market will really accept them to that degree. A fully human-like robot will not be possible by 2030, and a partially human-like robot is always subject to the uncanny valley. There will be a market for such robots; there seems to be a market for everything as long as it can be used for sex. But I don't think it will become mainstream by that time, if ever.

Obviously, most of that are quite conservative assumptions by me. What I really expect is that most of the big changes will happen in areas where we don't currently expect it. Thinking back to 1991, who'd have expected the iPhone? On the other hand, many of the things predicted here could have been predicted in 1991 for today just as well, like driverless cars (research for which started in the 1980s, with a lot of important work during the 1990s).

cezy rockeru
23-05-11, 19:24
By 2030, a large number of people will have robot lovers.
This sounds at least interesting. :vlol:

Pietras
23-05-11, 19:34
;5431273']Or Heidi Montag :whi:
Frankly, that too. Stupidity (or what we see as stupid) would likely be even harder to program than prefect acting for example.

Legend of Lara
23-05-11, 19:37
That's in a few 19 years. They better hurry, then!

The Great Chi
23-05-11, 19:57
That one about the robot lover, are they guarenteed not to short-ciruit during crucial moments :yik:

patriots88888
23-05-11, 20:02
Obviously, most of that are quite conservative assumptions by me. What I really expect is that most of the big changes will happen in areas where we don't currently expect it. Thinking back to 1991, who'd have expected the iPhone? On the other hand, many of the things predicted here could have been predicted in 1991 for today just as well, like driverless cars (research for which started in the 1980s, with a lot of important work during the 1990s).

Yea, I tend to agree. If you notice, most of these predictions are in areas which are generally considered 'hot topics' at the current time. It is surprising that there wasn't any mention of predictions relative to the 'hottest topic' of present which happens to be climate/global change(s).

My prediction: 2030 will be no more eventful than 2012. :pi:

TRfan23
23-05-11, 20:11
I do not like the first one, learning another language is a great way to enhance your mind ;)

I think most of these are just wishful thinking, just watch this film and you'll understand:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096874/

:pi:

It's a good film though :D

Legend of Lara
23-05-11, 20:36
So, everyone looking forward to those hoverboards we'll get in four years?

larafan25
23-05-11, 20:38
So, everyone looking forward to those hoverboards we'll get in four years?

Sorry, I can't hear you. Let me just un-clip my PS5 from my ear.

I'm so funny.

The Great Chi
23-05-11, 21:33
4.) I think skyscraper greenhouses are an interesting idea, but I'm not convinced they'll have that big a role, if at all.
Well I disagree, because if you take all the vegetables out of the skyscraper greenhouse you will need a massive roll to fill it :D

TRNation
24-05-11, 05:00
Some very interesting opinions in this thread. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/chin.gif

LOL no. Previous decades showed how SLOW space exploration moves due to the enormous costs.

However previous decades also show that the more we progress in terms of technology, the faster we can progress even further. Exponential growth. Perhaps this is worth considering? :mis:

dream raider
24-05-11, 05:12

to this I have some reservations due to expenses :p but if it gets cheap enough I'm in :D

2. By 2030, thousands, perhaps millions, of people will have a life expectancy of 150 years. + 10. By 2030, China will have 250 cities with more than one million inhabitants. with 3. By 2030, only 2% of the world's population will live in extreme poverty. [B]makes me wonder what line of works will be invented to keep up with the population growth

Mass genocide.

sandygrimm
24-05-11, 09:33
^ TBh that wouldn't surprise me at all. Like the swine flu was released to scare and see how people react to it, other such diseases can be released at any time. Not to mention natural disasters.

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 10:37
^ TBh that wouldn't surprise me at all. Like the swine flu was released to scare and see how people react to it, other such diseases can be released at any time. Not to mention natural disasters.Swine flu was "released"? It's just a natural virus. :confused:

sandygrimm
24-05-11, 10:52
Wasn't it? They made it seem so bad, and make people vaccinate for it. the vaccine wasn't even tested enough to be actually used. ( here anyway) so no one knows if it would have side effects in time. I didn't get it, and wasn't even influenced by the mass listeria.
But just goes to show how paranoia or influence of even a simple virus can lead to chaos and drastic decisions.

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 10:54
Wasn't it? They made it seem so bad, and make people vaccinate for it. the vaccine wasn't even tested enough to be actually used. ( here anyway) so no one knows if it would have side effects in time. I didn't get it, and wasn't even influenced by the mass listeria.
But just goes to show how paranoia or influence of even a simple virus can lead to chaos and drastic decisions.No, it wasn't. Swine flu is/was just another natural variation of seasonable flu that goes around every winter. The people making the biggest fuss over it were regular people and the media.

Paddy
24-05-11, 10:56
No, it wasn't. Swine flu is/was just another natural variation of seasonable flu that goes around every winter. The people making the biggest fuss over it were regular people and the media.

It was a media frenzy over here lol. People panicking unnecessarily.

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 10:57
The media make a big fuss over everything. Doesn't mean there's some sort of conspiracy involved.

jajay119
24-05-11, 11:45
Not unless the English decide to pull their finger out or the chinese take over the planet and force everyone to learn Chinese.

I doubt it, they said that in 1970 (probably)

And what economic revolution will befall Africa and other third world countries?

This makes no sense

Could happen, considering Ford are about to launch their car with parking asist that parks for you.

No, it will be the 16th most populated city in the world, the city will be the same size.
The russians had these in the 60's, they didn't work very well but still

No, Doctor who taught us that humans don't spread into space until 2052

And the fact that no writers will have any original ideas by this point, and no one want's to see the third remake of A nightmare on elm Street.

Could be possible but is there enough space?

Me probably if my love life doesn't pick up.

LNSNHGTDS
24-05-11, 12:22
Swine flu was "released"? It's just a natural virus. :confused:

Yeah, right...

It was just a poor attempt for doctors and pharmacists to make money.

There are many people who will absolutely believe anything anyone whould tell them. The ones who created the virus counted on that and how stupid the media are so they made tons of money by people who got panicked at such an unharmless situation and actually got the medicine.

I didn't do the vaccine and the flu didn't affect me at all. On the contrary those who did the vaccine had some side effects.

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 12:25
Yeah, right...

There are many people who will absolutely believe anything anyone whould tell them. The ones who created the virus counted on that and how stupid the media are so they made tons of money by people who got panicked at such an unharmless situation and actually got the medicine.

I didn't do the vaccine and the flu didn't affect me at all. On the contrary those who did the vaccine had some side effects.And there are many people who think absolutely everything is engineered :hea: It's a natural disease. Take off your tin-foil hat and get over it.

I didn't have the vaccine either by the way (not a great deal of people here did).

dream raider
24-05-11, 12:27
Yeah, right...

I didn't do the vaccine and the flu didn't affect me at all. On the contrary those who did the vaccine had some side effects.

I agree with this. It wasn't a natural virus. It was NOTHING at all.

LNSNHGTDS
24-05-11, 13:38
And there are many people who think absolutely everything is engineered :hea: It's a natural disease. Take off your tin-foil hat and get over it.

I didn't have the vaccine either by the way (not a great deal of people here did).

Believe what you want but I can't deny the fact that it was a virus created in a laboratory by sick and stupid people who were just greedy for money.

I agree with this. It wasn't a natural virus. It was NOTHING at all.

Exactly, they created the disease so that it's not really harmful but made many people to believe it was dangerous so that they could make money!

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 13:45
Believe what you want but I can't deny the fact that it was a virus created in a laboratory by sick and stupid people who were just greedy for money.I know I'll probably get lambasted for this (backing up your points with evidence is frowned upon on here) but do you have any evidence? That's quite a bold claim.

LNSNHGTDS
24-05-11, 13:50
^ I actually don't, but do you have avidence about my beliefs being incorrect?

The problem is that there's no evidence that prove whether it was a natural or a created disease(that's also the reason why I said that you can believe what you want ) so until someone proves which of these two beliefs is true then everyone can believe what he wants.

Cochrane
24-05-11, 13:53
Believe what you want but I can't deny the fact that it was a virus created in a laboratory by sick and stupid people who were just greedy for money.

Exactly, they created the disease so that it's not really harmful but made many people to believe it was dangerous so that they could make money!

That sounds incredibly stupid for the virus creators. Why wouldn't they make one that actually was dangerous? That way they can sell way more of their vaccines than they did.

Generally speaking, if neither you nor Mad Tony have proof, then the person wins who makes the least outrageous claim. This principle is also known as Occam's razor. Do you think your claim (it was invented by an evil conspiracy) is less outrageous than Mad Tony's (it was a normal virus that was way overhyped)? Because I am not fully convinced of that.

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 13:55
^ I actually don't, but do you have avidence about my beliefs being incorrect?

The problem is that there's no evidence that prove whether it was a natural or a created disease(that's also the reason why I said that you can believe what you want ) so until someone proves which of these two beliefs is true then everyone can believe what he wants.The burden of proof is on you I'm afraid. There probably is proof out there that it is just a normal virus, but firstly I shouldn't have to provide proof as you're the one making the claim and secondly you wouldn't believe it anyway.

LNSNHGTDS
24-05-11, 14:29
^ I don't see why I wouldn't but anyway. It's not that I have stated my belief on actual theory. It just seems really suspicious that some time after the beginning of the economic crisis a random virus breaks loose. That just doesn't seem random to me.

Even though I have no proof about that I will continue to believe it unless I find actual information that it was a normal virus and not a created one. As I said I have no actual proos so I'm neither correct not incorrect so that means that everyone can believe what he/she wants, I do not intend to argue about it because the conversation tends to become heated.

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 14:34
^ I don't see why I wouldn't but anyway. It's not that I have stated my belief on actual theory. It just seems really suspicious that some time after the beginning of the economic crisis a random virus breaks loose. That just doesn't seem random to me.

Even though I have no proof about that I will continue to believe it unless I find actual information that it was a normal virus and not a created one. As I said I have no actual proos so I'm neither correct not incorrect so that means that everyone can believe what he/she wants, I do not intend to argue about it because the conversation tends to become heated.Actually it is just random. Remember bird flu back in 2006? That was actually a worse virus and started to make headlines when the economy was doing fine. Remember SARS in 2003?

Even then, the fact that a virus popped up and scared people during a financial crisis is meaningless and doesn't count as proof at all. You're clutching at straws.

Avalon SARL
24-05-11, 17:24
WT?

Of course swine flu was natural

Flu is evolving yearly, the virus of last year is developing some fast immunity to the vaccines produced/made for it that is why it is being a little more severe each year

Well if there are those who really want to spread some sort of problem/virus, THEY ARE THE PEOPLE @ MICROSOFT :cen:

Why don't Mac computers get hacked or infected by viruses and trojans ?

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 17:40
Why don't Mac computers get hacked or infected by viruses and trojans ?I think they do sometimes it's just that Macs aren't worth hacking. :D

Avalon SARL
24-05-11, 18:01
I think they do sometimes it's just that Macs aren't worth hacking. :D

:p That's a nice reply; :vlol:

Well, hope they're worth buying because this is what I am thinking of...
:p

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 18:01
:p That's a nice reply; :vlol:

Well, hope they're worth buying because this is what I am thinking of...
:pThey're worth buying even less. :p

lara c. fan
24-05-11, 18:06
I think they do sometimes it's just that Macs aren't worth hacking. :D

They don't have a majority of the market share. Windows does, and that's the one hackers try and exploit.

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 18:12
They don't have a majority of the market share. Windows does, and that's the one hackers try and exploit.Good grief it was only a light-hearted comment. Of course I know Macs aren't targeted as much because of their lower market share. That said, my comment was partially true as Macs aren't worth hacking due to the fact that they have a much lower market share.

lara c. fan
24-05-11, 18:13
Good grief it was only a light-hearted comment. Of course I know Macs aren't targeted as much because of their lower market share. That said, my comment was partially true as Macs aren't worth hacking due to the fact that they have a much lower market share.

I was adding to it! :p

trXD
24-05-11, 18:28
Almost all future predictions are complete guesses based on recent statistics, I don't take any of this seriously tbh.

DragonSlayer
24-05-11, 18:41
My favourites

Maybe learning all languages won't be necessary if we have Star Trek's universal translators http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Universal_translator

That indeed would be a good thing.

Food won't need to be grown at all if we had Replicators
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Replicator

Star Trek's transporters would be preferable
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Transporter

Again wouldn't be necessary if we would hurry up and develop transporters

We better get off our backsides and start building galaxy class starships
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Galaxy_class

I wonder will it be anything like Futurama.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Dated_a_Robot

The Great Chi
24-05-11, 22:56
And there are many people who think absolutely everything is engineered :hea: It's a natural disease. Take off your tin-foil hat and get over it.

I didn't have the vaccine either by the way (not a great deal of people here did).Oh, here we go again with the eighteen year old 'tin pot dictator' know all, offering tin foil hats to everyone, before he looks into whats in these shots.

Thimerosal is in 2010-2011 Seasonal Flu Vaccines.

What is Thimerosal?

Thimerosal is a mercury-based preservative.

Do you want to get injected with mercury, yes, or no.

No wonder you do not want goverment vaccines. I Dont either.

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 23:01
Oh, here we go again with the eighteen year old 'tin pot dictator' know all, offering tin foil hats to everyone, before he looks into whats in these shots.

Thimerosal is in 2010-2011 Seasonal Flu Vaccines.

What is Thimerosal?

Thimerosal is a mercury-based preservative.

Do you want to get injected with mercury, yes, or no.

No wonder you do not want goverment vaccines. I Dont either.Seriously, what is your problem with my age? :confused: You're always trying to belittle me because of my age which is pretty pathetic.

Anyway, I didn't take the Swine Flu vaccine because I knew it was no big deal and that if I got Swine Flu I'd be fine. It's not as if these vaccines are actually harmful.

lara c. fan
24-05-11, 23:34
It's not as if these vaccines are actually harmful.

Pretty much all vaccines come with a risk of side-effects, which can be harmful.

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 23:41
Pretty much all vaccines come with a risk of side-effects, which can be harmful.They can but they're not actually that harmful overall. Did you hear of masses of people having bad side effects as a result of the swine flu jab (for example)?

lara c. fan
24-05-11, 23:45
They can but they're not actually that harmful overall. Did you hear of masses of people having bad side effects as a result of the swine flu jab (for example)?

Harmful does not imply masses. The most harmful side effects are generally extremely rare, so... I guess I didn't hear about masses of people having bad side effects. :p

The Great Chi
24-05-11, 23:53
Seriously, what is your problem with my age? :confused: You're always trying to belittle me because of my age which is pretty pathetic.

Anyway, I didn't take the Swine Flu vaccine because I knew it was no big deal and that if I got Swine Flu I'd be fine. It's not as if these vaccines are actually harmful.Funny, you are usually trying to belittle others all the time, re: tin foil hats.

Thought for the day......Maybe we do not like a taste of our own medicine.

Anyway, be happy, I am only trying to save your life here by you not taking swine flu jabs and such like without reading whats actually in it, so you can reach 19 and keep giving us such meaningfull discussions ;)

Mad Tony
24-05-11, 23:54
Harmful does not imply masses. The most harmful side effects are generally extremely rare, so... I guess I didn't hear about masses of people having bad side effects. :pI know. You're missing my point. My point is that these vaccines aren't deliberately made harmful nor are they harmful to anybody but the very small minority of people. Conspiracy theorists seem to make a big song and dance over vaccines, like they do with most things, when there really isn't much to make a song and dance about.

Anyway, be happy, I am only trying to save your life here by you not taking swine flu jabs and such like without reading whats actually in it, so you can reach 19 and keep giving us such meaningfull discussions ;)Lol, save my life? :vlol: Firstly, I never took the swine flu jab in the first place, secondly I doubt they're available anymore and thirdly you're not trying to "save" anyone (there's no-one to save anyway), merely spread your usual conspiracy rubbish.

You're hysterical. You're acting as if taking any kind of vaccine means instant death!

The Great Chi
25-05-11, 00:11
You're hysterical. You're acting as if taking any kind of vaccine means instant death!Ah, but it is not instant death :(

PS.....Doing your standard ploy I see, first belittle then go for the personal...re hysterical. Take note folks !

Anyway I am not going for the bait tonight, I am too tired.

Surely you see that I am very calm and relaxed, Good night all :D

matrix54
25-05-11, 00:17
I can't believe I'll be in my late 30s when all this happens lol

Aphrodite22
25-05-11, 00:54
9. By 2030, most film actors will be out of work due to competition from cheap computer animated actors

oh no better not! :mad:

good thing im not gonna be that old... 36 years old...

Mad Tony
25-05-11, 06:18
Ah, but it is not instant death :(

PS.....Doing your standard ploy I see, first belittle then go for the personal...re hysterical. Take note folks !

Anyway I am not going for the bait tonight, I am too tired.

Surely you see that I am very calm and relaxed, Good night all :DYou basically just accuse me of whatever I accuse you of, because you have no comeback.

I'm now eagerly awaiting your response in which you say I have no comeback.