PDA

View Full Version : What is the most unsatisfying Tomb Raider game to die in?

larafan25
27-05-11, 14:21
What is the most unsatisfying Tomb Raider game to die in? Maybe you die a lot for reasons which you cannot control, or maybe the deaths are just so bad to watch, etc...:)

cezy rockeru
27-05-11, 14:23
For me,AoD.
The controls made me die at every single corner of any level.

lord gaga
27-05-11, 14:23
TRA because the death for lava is very retarded!

patriots88888
27-05-11, 14:24
All of them. Lo_l

scremanie
27-05-11, 14:24
Legend.

She didn't even die. She just slid on the ground and disappeared.

Phlip
27-05-11, 14:25
Legend-Underworld's. They're very unrealistic, over the top, cartoony etc.

They're great in TR1 and 2 because of the bone thudding sound. It's just so quick and sudden.

sandygrimm
27-05-11, 14:26
1-3 L and AODthe rest are more flexible and realistic like a big bag of human flesh and organs dropping and in more ways.. ah the fun. too bad they ain't more graphic :p

King.Louie
27-05-11, 14:26
Last revelation..

yourtea
27-05-11, 14:27
Tomb Raider, the first.
Mainly St Francis' Folly.

sheepman23
27-05-11, 14:28
The most unsatisfying? Probably AoD, her ragdoll animations are just so cheesy. :vlol: The Crystal Dynamics games also have pretty unsatisfying animations. TR1 - 3 have the best death animations. :tmb:

Phlip
27-05-11, 14:33
TR1 - 3 have the best death animations. :tmb:

TR4-5 have the exact same as well, so why only write TR1-3? :)

peeves
27-05-11, 14:34
For me that would hefta be TR4 because the screen don't even say game over when lara dies on my TR4 version but My versions of TR1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 say game over.

Shark_Blade
27-05-11, 14:38
^Just because there's no game over title?o_O I don't understand you.

LAU is the Most unsatisfying death. They all slide and bounce, disregarding physics which is ironic because that's what they were aiming for in the games.

Underworld2008
27-05-11, 14:43
Tomb Raider Underworld :)

peeves
27-05-11, 14:44
^Just because there's no game over title?o_O I don't understand you.

LAU is the Most unsatisfying death. They all slide and bounce, disregarding physics which is ironic because that's what they were aiming for in the games.

Well i have a problem with that because it takes longer to reload because it takes you to the loading screen instead.

NRO.
27-05-11, 14:45
Anniversary.

Holy crap the last three levels.

sheepman23
27-05-11, 14:51
TR4-5 have the exact same as well, so why only write TR1-3? :)

There's no animation of Lara being impaled in spikes. She takes damage and then dies normally. There's also no "death by enemy animations" like there were throughout TR1 - 3 (like the abomination smacking Lara against the ground, the t-rex chewing Lara up, the shark chewing Lara up, or the yeti slamming her against the ground :tmb:).

Cochrane
27-05-11, 15:00
Angel of Darkness, because it had the most cases of "Lara died because the game is crap", mostly due to the horribly controls. I have no problem with "Lara died because I suck", but if I have to fight the game's bugs as well, then the fun ends.

Phlip
27-05-11, 15:08
There's no animation of Lara being impaled in spikes. She takes damage and then dies normally. There's also no "death by enemy animations" like there were throughout TR1 - 3 (like the abomination smacking Lara against the ground, the t-rex chewing Lara up, the shark chewing Lara up, or the yeti slamming her against the ground :tmb:).

Oh yeah. :tmb:

Vinkula
27-05-11, 15:17
All. I don't like to die in TR games.

skylark1121
27-05-11, 15:21
TR3 definitely. Lara died so often in that game. With the excess amount of piranhas, boulders, spikes, etc. ;)

Cali
27-05-11, 15:22
In AoD I just kept dying because I fell off edges so many times. Damn controls.
And I would say Underworld...but...I hardly ever die in that because it's so easy :'(

NRO.
27-05-11, 15:23
All. I don't like to die in TR games.

Sooooo... What the hell are you doing playing them? >:O

larafan25
27-05-11, 15:25

Rule 1 of Tomb Raider...

You don't like to die, SO DON'T DIE.

:cool:

Vinkula
27-05-11, 15:26

Staying alive.

StefanJ94
27-05-11, 15:28
Anniversary.

Agreed! :tmb: Also the checkpoint save system didn't make it any easier! :pi:

Alex Shepherd
27-05-11, 15:35
Me?!! I rarely dies when I play Tomb Raider... But I like see her dying when she falls... And when she jump onto the spikes... My favorite death of her is when she got into the spikes... Amazing emotion... :p

xXhayleyroxXx
27-05-11, 15:38
tr3. There was just too much of the same thing...
The blood in the water when the piranhas got her was cool while the novelty lasted though :p

peeves
27-05-11, 16:09
Perhaps those who don't die you should try a no medi pack no dying challenge.

SoulReaver74
27-05-11, 16:25
Anniversary.

I completely agree, unforgivable at times. :mad:

interstellardave
27-05-11, 18:09
for me,aod.
The controls made me die at every single corner of any level.

THIS. So much, this!

scoopy_loopy
27-05-11, 18:21
Underworld. Because it's her own damn fault for not obeying me! Stupid ridiculous controls and camera.

lance6439
27-05-11, 18:27
All of them! :O

Kelly Craftman
27-05-11, 18:31
TR 4-AOD Just because you have to save like every minute otherwise your back to where you last saved. It twas very annoying

larafan25
27-05-11, 18:32
When I play TR4 I save like I'm writing a word document, it's ridiculous. I'm always afraid.:pi:

jajay119
27-05-11, 18:48
I have two sets for two reasons:

TR4-AOD because, like everyone else has said,you have to save every 3 seconds which on a PC isn't that bad but on a console is damn annoying, and you know you will forget and have to go back about 5 levels, which is the single biggest reason I start those games and just go off playing them half way through.

TRL-TRU: Completely the opposite of above really, checkpoints are all to frequent, the game saves to a predetermined standard no to the actuality of your condition which makes it easier to just let Lara die than collect/use any medpacks! Not to mention the vast majority of times I have died in CD's games have been due to some failing or other with the AI, rather than my own mistakes that plagued you in the previous paragraph!

ultima espio
27-05-11, 18:51
AOD. It's like "Jump bitch, juuuumpppp!!!!"

"Well now your dead, well done"

tomblover
27-05-11, 19:02
TRU. Eitr death is retarded. >_>

Alpharaider47
27-05-11, 19:40
I was never really satisfied with failure :mis:

cbragg09
27-05-11, 19:43
Dying in the first 5 Tomb Raider games was very satisfying, if not a shock because of how sudden it could happen and how realistically she was animated. And then the sound effects for that time were phenominal.

The silly ragdoll effect that wasnt even animated right and the sudden blackout 2.5 seconds after dying just lessened the effect, like "Oh I died time to restart" rather than

"Oh ****...I died..." *restart*

jamieoliver22
27-05-11, 20:44
Legend-Underworld's. They're very unrealistic, over the top, cartoony etc.

They're great in TR1 and 2 because of the bone thudding sound. It's just so quick and sudden.

Agreed.

DragonSlayer
27-05-11, 23:01
TR Legend deaths were stupid, i miss the neck snapping, bone crunching deaths of TR1, breaking Lara's neck/legs never got old.

!Lara Croft!
28-05-11, 00:07
Legend

Anniversary

Underworld

Tyrannosaurus
28-05-11, 02:45
Any of the CD games. The controls were not only horribly awkward on the PC, but the games themselves pussy-footed around Lara's death and simply blacked out.

larafan25
28-05-11, 03:24
Any of the CD games. The controls were not only horribly awkward on the PC, but the games themselves pussy-footed around Lara's death and simply blacked out.

Damn ESRB.

Kiss-Bite
28-05-11, 03:36

Legend

Anniversary

Underworld

Agreed.. what was most unsatisfying was that I found it almost impossible to die in Legend & Underworld.. no fear of a mistake at all. :D

ozzman
28-05-11, 03:37
TR1 , i didn't like that i got limited saves
TR2 - your moving along and all of a sudden you don't save and die...same with all of them up till legend with Checkpoints but classic deaths were better

Evan C.
28-05-11, 03:43
Angel of Darkness, so stupid deaths.

!Lara Croft!
28-05-11, 03:58
/\What you talk'n bout? AOD ragdoll physics are awesome!

TR1 , i didn't like that i got limited saves
TR2 - your moving along and all of a sudden you don't save and die...same with all of them up till legend with Checkpoints but classic deaths were better

Thats your own fault really.

ozzman
28-05-11, 04:07
^true, but wen your walk around not knowing were you go, it's a burdon at times

TRLegendLuver
28-05-11, 04:41
AOD. Was completely overdone and boring.

domino92
28-05-11, 04:42
I say TR1.

Lara got impaled at every corner. Then she got a series of painful deaths, being beaten to death by Apes, eaten by Dinosaurs, slashed by falling swords and crushed by giant hammers, electrocuted, crushed by boulders, and tossed in the air and chomped on by a T-Rex.

TR1 was brutal. Lara got tortured. TR2 it got toned down I think, but that may just be me.

DragonSlayer
28-05-11, 11:06
I say TR1.

Lara got impaled at every corner. Then she got a series of painful deaths, being beaten to death by Apes, eaten by Dinosaurs, slashed by falling swords and crushed by giant hammers, electrocuted, crushed by boulders, and tossed in the air and chomped on by a T-Rex.

TR1 was brutal. Lara got tortured. TR2 it got toned down I think, but that may just be me.

Those deaths are what TR1 memorable among other things, some of them were fun like neck/leg breaking and others were unexpected but fun like Lara stepping on the hand and turning into a gold statue.

The deaths in Crystal Dynamics TR games on the other hand suck because of the fade outs when she dies, CD don't have the guts to show the deaths.

Lara Croft!
28-05-11, 11:19
Legend, you didn't even see the whole thing.

Legend of Lara
28-05-11, 12:42
LAU. The death animations weren't interesting and the controls/camera (goes double for Underworld) often spaz out, so death will occur often.

(yes, I'm bad at TRU, stfu)

peeves
28-05-11, 14:18
Also in TR1 and 3 with the limited saves it's also a pain to die in those games on my PS3 because of those annoying save system.

tomee
28-05-11, 15:08
Tomb Raider, the first.
Mainly St Francis' Folly.

This happened to me a lot of times. I simply walked off the ledge so many times >.< (Quality times :rolleyes:)
But I must say every TR had a lot of these. Down from TRC it was because you could easily walk off from edges and the tortures that enemies gives. (REmembers the first dinosaur death from TR1). Up from Aod because of the randomness of the camera and the stupid random movements (especially in TRU).

In overall I must say it's say it's TRA because of the wallrun failures.

But I failed many times in the clasics doing some long jumping sequence or timed traps or sth like that and failing only the last jump. I'm totally like .. 'FFFFUUUU'

Beans-Bot
28-05-11, 17:46
Anything fire-based in the Core games. It always felt like the fire death animation took so long before you got back to the Load Game screen, so I'd always just reload whenever Lara caught on fire.

Other than that, the deaths in Anniversary were just embarrassing to watch. Why was she bouncing off of spikes? :vlol:

Reggie
28-05-11, 18:28
Legend to Underworld - vast majority of deaths were down to not knowing which direction/ledge to fling Lara at next. The deaths themselves were a bit silly as well in how sanitised some of them were with the blackouts and bouncing off spikes.

Rai
28-05-11, 18:59
For me, the most unsatisfying is the most frustrating, and that's AoD. Also, I think that's where the ragdoll effect started :whi:

Dark Lugia 2
28-05-11, 19:00
Unsatisfying... Crystal's TRs. I love them, but it is unsatisfying for the screen to fade away when you kill Lara, it'd be nice to watch until she stops moving at least. :p

larafan25
28-05-11, 19:33
^You can actually watch her bounce around in TRU can't you? Until she stops moving, then the screen fades.:/

yourtea
28-05-11, 19:33
I'm going to change this to Angel Of Darkness.

Obviously the game is annoyingly glitchy so dying is mostly the game's fault and not the gamer's. Swear you can stand completely still on a ledge in AOD and still manage to fall to your death. Actually, you can fall from a ladder four feet from the ground and manage to die with a loud grunt when actually all that would happen in real life is a cut knee. :mad:

Super Badnik
28-05-11, 19:39
I guess this thread is just confirmation that TRF is full of psychopaths.

larafan25
28-05-11, 19:41
At least you can have a bit of dramatic theater when you die in AOD.

Beans-Bot
28-05-11, 19:48
At least you can a bit of dramatic theater when you die in AOD.

And how. Lara sounded like she was either having a natural birth or was featured in a sexploitation film the entire game. :vlol:

WAUGH. UGHN. UGH. MMMNUGH. NNNUH.

larafan25
28-05-11, 20:24
^That's the point!:p

It's always awkward to hear her deaths from the other room, people think you're watching something dirty. >_>

NRO.
28-05-11, 20:29
And how. Lara sounded like she was either having a natural birth or was featured in a sexploitation film the entire game. :vlol:

WAUGH. UGHN. UGH. MMMNUGH. NNNUH.

They had to sell the game somehow. :vlol:

yourtea
28-05-11, 21:17
and how. Lara sounded like she was either having a natural birth or was featured in a sexploitation film the entire game. :vlol:

Waugh. Ughn. Ugh. Mmmnugh. Nnnuh.

lmao i love that ^

Dark Wiseman
31-05-11, 04:44
Definitely Angel of Darkness, due to the hyper-sensitive and twitchy control. Tomb Raider III wouldn't be far behind, due to the fact that it had the most collision detection issues in the TR series. Nine times out of ten, both issues were the reason I died in each game, respectively.