PDA

View Full Version : Sleep positions/your personality

patriots88888
30-05-11, 20:15
What does your sleep position reveal about your personality?

http://i51.************/2jd1u0.jpg

Fetus position - A whopping 41% of participants sleep in this curled-up manner. Women are twice as likely to rest like this and it is listed as the most common position. These sleepers are said to have a tough exterior but are still sensitive and may appear to be shy but warm up quickly.

Log position - If you sleep on your side with both arms down, you are a social, easy-going person who is trusting, sometimes to the point of being gullible. The study showed 15% of people sleep like a log.

Yearner position - A close third is the side-lying position with both arms out in front of the body, with 13% of partipants sleeping like this. Yearners are noted to be open-minded and still cynical, suspicious, and stubborn about sticking to decisions once they are made.

Soldier position - These sleepers lie on their backs with arms down and kept close to the body. This 8% study is said to be reserved, quiet, without fuss, and hold themselves and others to a high standard. Soldier sleepers have a higher likelihood for snoring due to the flat-back position, which may not cause them to wake up often but may result in a less restful night's sleep.

Freefall position - Those people who lie on their bellies with arms under or wrapped around a pillow with head turned to the side, make up 7% of the population studied. Freefallers are brash, outgoing, and are very uncomfortable with criticism.

Starfish position - Sleepers who lie on their backs with arms up near their head or the pillow account for 5% of participants. These people are good listeners, helpful, and are uncomfortable being the center of attention. People who sleep in starfish position are more likely to snore and to suffer from a poor night's sleep more often.

If you think you are one of those people who move through all of these positions, that's not likely to really be the case. Idzikowski said the research reveals most people stay in the same position all night and only 5% lay differently night by night. Also interesting is that the study showed only one in ten people cover their bodies entirely with a blanket, with most people exposing an arm, leg, or both feet.

LINK (http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/what-does-your-sleep-position-reveal-about-your-personality-1338293/#poll-00F628E0516E11DFA207A34EA49182FB)

Thought it might be interesting to see if any of you find a match between your sleep position and the corresponding personality that's listed here. How they can relate to certain health issues is also something I wasn't much aware of before reading this article.

Fetus position for me and while these are much too general of descriptions, it is for the most part accurate. :p

sandygrimm
30-05-11, 20:17
^ ditto on the Fetus position mostly anyway, but lately Freefall position, so I guess I mixture of both but with fetus dominance :p

irishhips
30-05-11, 20:19
Foetus and Log for me

larafan25
I'm the log, however with a blanket over myself. As well as a little air hole.:)

BrandonFlowers
I am usually Fetus position, but sometimes I am a log :o

Simochka
30-05-11, 20:20
When I fall asleep it is foetus and when I wake up it's either freefaller or starfish :p

trfanX34
30-05-11, 20:21
I just keep moooving and moooving.
And I end more or less like this tbh:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2053/2241180455_6003a14a4e.jpg
At least in summer :p

Snazabaz
30-05-11, 20:22
I'm a freefaller when I go to sleep and a freefaller when I wake up :D

Can't stop fallin'!

Liara
30-05-11, 20:24
Heh, the description for Freefall is pretty much the opposite of what I am. Still, it's interesting that only 7% of those participants went sleeping on their stomach. For some reason I thought a whole lot more would have picked it. It's comfy. :D

TheRCroft
30-05-11, 20:26

This, pretty much :p

However, it's probably the freefaller for me and I don't think I've ever slept in the fetus position D:

King.Louie
30-05-11, 20:33
Free fall position :p

coolaideonfire
30-05-11, 20:38
Foetus I think but I tend to position my legs like the log and keep my arms curled up close to my face. I think both descriptions apply to me.

Sleeping is one of the most stressful things sometimes though. I know the position I like to sleep in but getting comfortable enough takes way too much time.

Kelly Craftman
30-05-11, 20:46
Foetus FTW!

xXhayleyroxXx
30-05-11, 20:50
Foetus FTW!

This :p The description sorta fits. Except I don't have a hard exterior :p I look fragile, apparently -- as are my emotions xD

larson n natla
30-05-11, 20:52
Foetus, Yearner and Freefaller.

I alternate. :)

sandygrimm
30-05-11, 20:53
SO why isn't it FETUS as a side note here? I goggled and same thing. :confused:

TombOfRaiders
Starfish for me. Whenever I lay down in bed, my arms, like, automatically raise up to around my head. xD

BlueJ97
Yearner :p

ultima espio
30-05-11, 20:56
Am I the only person who does them all? :vlol:

Cochrane
30-05-11, 20:59
I tend to wake up in soldier position mostly.

Generally speaking, I'm not sure these studies relating various facts to personality types help much. I guess you can also find some correlation between character type and how much salt we eat or similar stuff like that. But those studies are always quite limited, and their character types are defined just as vaguely as horoscopes.

I think this fascination with stuff like that really dates back to, say, the 19th century, when people thought they can read a person's character just by looking at his face and the various structures. Although this was popular until the 1930s, it has been completely disproven now. Still, people try to find some way to say "That's what he acts or looks like, so that's what his character must be". I don't think humans work like that; we're just too complicated for this to really work.

patriots88888
30-05-11, 21:11
I tend to wake up in soldier position mostly.

Generally speaking, I'm not sure these studies relating various facts to personality types help much. I guess you can also find some correlation between character type and how much salt we eat or similar stuff like that. But those studies are always quite limited, and their character types are defined just as vaguely as horoscopes.

I think this fascination with stuff like that really dates back to, say, the 19th century, when people thought they can read a person's character just by looking at his face and the various structures. Although this was popular until the 1930s, it has been completely disproven now. Still, people try to find some way to say "That's what he acts or looks like, so that's what his character must be". I don't think humans work like that; we're just too complicated for this to really work.

I don't think it is intended to be taken that seriously Cochrane... just 'loosely' interesting and not anything mind blowing here. Don't you you ever lighten up, or are you always this serious? :p :/

Rai
30-05-11, 21:44
I'm more of a Foetus sleeper, but I occasionally end up in the freefall, but then wake up feeling suffocated and go back to foetus.

@Sandygrimm: I think it's British and American Spellings.

StefanJ94
30-05-11, 21:49
It's either Freefall or Starfish position for me. I can't stand any other positions. I would never fall asleep if I'm in any other positions TBH. :o And, the personalities are hardly true, well for me at least. :p

patriots88888
30-05-11, 22:03
It appears true for Cochrane though: :whi:

Soldier position - These sleepers lie on their backs with arms down and kept close to the body. This 8% study is said to be reserved, quiet, without fuss, and hold themselves and others to a high standard. Soldier sleepers have a higher likelihood for snoring due to the flat-back position, which may not cause them to wake up often but may result in a less restful night's sleep.

I bet he snores too. :pi:

Cochrane
30-05-11, 22:12
For the record: I've never heard myself snore. :D

Actually, the snoring part is probably what makes the most sense of all these predictions.

And I am not always this serious, only mostly, because I think it is more fun to think about things as if they were serious than not to. Yes, I have been called weird by multiple people several times. :D

DgoOdz94
30-05-11, 22:19
I'm between a yearner and a freefaller:

Yearner: Yearners are noted to be open-minded and still cynical, suspicious, and stubborn about sticking to decisions once they are made. True. :)

Free Faller:Freefallers are brash, outgoing, and are very uncomfortable with criticism. Only this part is true....

tampi
30-05-11, 22:21
My sleep position is not there. I sleep as climbing a ladder. With one arm under the pillow. My back looking up.
Wtb log position give me fear:p

P.Halliwell
30-05-11, 23:18
mix of all... I am fidget sleeper and most of the time I am under the blanket or my hands under the pillow. Also sometimes sleep with open eyes... my sister was very stressed when she saw me like that :D

Encore
30-05-11, 23:31
Hehe, that's funny!

I usually start off in Freefall position, then as I'm about to go to sleep I end up in Foetus position. But many, many times when I wake up, I find myself in Starfish. :D

Cali
30-05-11, 23:33
Hahaha I'm a foetus, except I face the other way for some reason.
And also, I do the soldier one, except I cross my arms over myself so it's really more like "Mummy" pose...

2kool4u
30-05-11, 23:34
Freefall and yearning position that's pretty cool how accurate it is :vlol:

lara c. fan
30-05-11, 23:46
I'm not the only one who does neither of those, right? :p

!Lara Croft!
30-05-11, 23:49
I pretty much do all of them.

Ikas90
31-05-11, 02:38
I sleep in all of those positions, lol.

I shift through them several times during the night.

Chocola teapot
31-05-11, 02:40
I often sleep in the 'Yearning' position.

I can't sleep on my front though, Free Faller is out of the question. ;_;

Encore
31-05-11, 02:53
I'm not the only one who does neither of those, right? :p

How do you sleep then? *is genuinely curious now*

Apathetic
31-05-11, 03:28
Definitely a 'Yearner'. No idea about the description, though.

Evan C.
31-05-11, 03:46
Freefaller

SoupCard
31-05-11, 03:51
Foetus I suppose, though my legs aren't usually that high up.

innocentvenus
31-05-11, 04:00
Mostly freefaller. I don't know how accurate it matches to my personality though. :confused:

EmeraldFields
31-05-11, 04:37
Freefall position - Those people who lie on their bellies with arms under or wrapped around a pillow with head turned to the side, make up 7% of the population studied. Freefallers are brash, outgoing, and are very uncomfortable with criticism.

Completely inaccurate. :p

Squibbly
31-05-11, 04:46
I don't sleep in any of those positions. The "Freefall" one is most like it, though. The description of those who sleep in that position doesn't apply to me at all.

I drew a quick doodle of how I sleep. I have to curl my arms around my pillow to make it a certain shape and my upper body stays chest first against the bed while my lower body is very slightly turned, with one leg up and bent. I can't fall asleep any other way. It looks like my upper body is turned in the picture but it's not supposed to be. I didn't want to draw anything more amazing than a stick figure for this. lol

http://i40.************/35asx35.jpg

tomblover
31-05-11, 06:06
I sleep only slightly curled up, but I keep my hands underneath my pillow at all times... What does that define as? XD

jajay119
31-05-11, 06:25
I'm a mix of 4 of them, sort of. I never seem to sleep fully in one possition. I always sleep with one leg arched, no matter what position I'm in too.

TRNation
31-05-11, 06:38
Imma Freefaller, and the description is dead-on. :o

Capt. Murphy
31-05-11, 06:50
A very high percent of my sleep positions would be more like the soldier, but sometimes I have my hands near my chest or my face, like I'm thinking. But the description is dead on in describing my personality. :tmb:

Less likely would be the fetus position, but I usually lie down like that if I've recently woke up and I'm going back to sleep... I guess more to cover my head.

I could lie down like the starfish, but this might be if I'm really tired, and I'd be stretching my arms.

sandygrimm
31-05-11, 07:26
After many free fall posts , maybe they should consider redoing the poll :p

Pretty much this would be the ideal position between free fall and fetus! So yep, this is my position.

LNSNHGTDS
31-05-11, 07:28

Yeah, that's sooo me :rolleyes: !

Autolycus
31-05-11, 08:15
I have no idea how I sleep, I do however sometimes tend to wake up with my knees bent pointing upwards.

lara c. fan
31-05-11, 08:16
How do you sleep then? *is genuinely curious now*

Pretty much how Squibbly does.

ryan91
31-05-11, 08:17
they forgot to add these

http://i53.************/29wk1ky.jpg

Apathetic
31-05-11, 08:19
Lmao. All of the above. ^

Drone
31-05-11, 08:25
Neither of those for me :confused: I usually sleep with six girls. 2 on top 2 below and one from each side.

j/k it takes only four girls

TRNation
31-05-11, 08:38
Neither of those for me :confused: I usually sleep with six girls. 2 on top 2 below and one from each side.

j/k it takes only four girls

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/K0modoDragon/Smileys/sisi.gif

Encore
31-05-11, 11:41
they forgot to add these

http://i53.************/29wk1ky.jpg

Lmao :vlol: I sometimes sleep like the "Cool" one, but mostly in the Summer because the feet of my bed are closer to the window.

Gabi
31-05-11, 13:34
I don't sleep in any of those positions. The "Freefall" one is most like it, though. The description of those who sleep in that position doesn't apply to me at all.

I drew a quick doodle of how I sleep. I have to curl my arms around my pillow to make it a certain shape and my upper body stays chest first against the bed while my lower body is very slightly turned, with one leg up and bent. I can't fall asleep any other way. It looks like my upper body is turned in the picture but it's not supposed to be. I didn't want to draw anything more amazing than a stick figure for this. lol

That's how I sleep, just facing the other side. :)

\Tomb Raider/
31-05-11, 15:35
FreeFaller :p

Mikky
31-05-11, 16:32
I sleep in a log position most of the time, but I am not social and I'm not so sure I'm easy going. I guess I could be. :p Though I am trusting and I'm definitely gullible. xD

the ancient
31-05-11, 16:46
reefall position - Those people who lie on their bellies with arms under or wrapped around a pillow with head turned to the side, make up 7% of the population studied. Freefallers are brash, outgoing, and are very uncomfortable with criticism.

Wow so true :eek:

Amiyo
31-05-11, 17:50
Fetus position - A whopping 41% of participants sleep in this curled-up manner. Women are twice as likely to rest like this and it is listed as the most common position. These sleepers are said to have a tough exterior but are still sensitive and may appear to be shy but warm up quickly.
That's the closest position, and the description is pretty much true. Not sure about that warming up quickly thing, though... And I mainly just roll around.

jackles
31-05-11, 18:30
I have done that drunk one a few times in the past. ;)

I'm a starfish....but that doesn't describe me at all.

Starfish position - Sleepers who lie on their backs with arms up near their head or the pillow account for 5% of participants. These people are good listeners, helpful, and are uncomfortable being the center of attention. What me??? I never listen to anything, helpless more like and as for being the centre of attention...where is my camera Mr De Mille...People who sleep in starfish position are more likely to snore and to suffer from a poor night's sleep more often.

you snore more if you have fat around the neck..I don't. ( I do get paint flaking off on my knuckles though where my hands touch the wall all night!!)

:cln:@drone

moodydog
31-05-11, 18:38
soldier. I snore a hell of a lot... :( and ALLWAYS wake up on my back.

Avalon SARL
31-05-11, 18:48
Fetus and reefall :)

matrix54
31-05-11, 19:00
Yearner when I begin to go to sleep, Freefall position when I wake up.
I have no idea how I move so much when sleeping.

Also, when I wear socks or put something on my head, they are off the next morning, and they'll be under my pillow, or thrown off the bed. :p

patriots88888
31-05-11, 22:09

That's known as the Relaxed position which actually is a better description of my usual sleeping position. I change from side to side during the course of the night, but almost always end up waking up on my left side (the same side I initially attempt to fall asleep in).

Alex Shepherd
31-05-11, 22:25
And I end more or less like this tbh:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2053/2241180455_6003a14a4e.jpg
At least in summer :p

:vlol: :vlol: Oh yoouuu :p :vlol:

:}hello friend
31-05-11, 23:59
Fetus and starfish baby.

And I also tend to sleep on my back with my knees bent upwards. Sometimes I sleep on my back with my arms on my stomach. Very weird.

Lara Croft!
01-06-11, 09:43
I don't have a specific sleeping position. I like sleeping in the fetus position, in the yearner and in the freefaller.

I don't believe the way you sleep says something about your personality. For example my boyfriend sleeps in the starfish position most of the times, but neither he has a problem of being the center of attention, nor he has trouble sleeping.

tampi
01-06-11, 09:56
I see that I share position with some forum members:)

http://i.imgur.com/32pDs.jpg (http://imgur.com/32pDs)

jarekhanzelka
01-06-11, 10:08
I'm afraid they didn't discover my sleeping position just yet. And I'm afraid it's so complicated I can't even draw it. :/

cezy rockeru
01-06-11, 10:12
Fetus position :p

touchthesky
01-06-11, 10:47
Yearner.

Mai
01-06-11, 11:32
Im starfishh :)
Never been told i snore though hahaha.

Miharu
01-06-11, 12:00
I'm a yearner, I sleep with my arms out I never have them down. xD I am open minded and I have recently taken a cynical test, I was about 60-70% which is good because i'm cynical but still good hearted, so I still see the good side. :D WIN!

Carlisle
01-06-11, 12:14
I'm a yearner. |D

And, funnily enough, I would describe myself as stubborn & cynical.

Kiss-Bite
01-06-11, 13:43
Interesting, I actually sleep in quite a few of those positions.. :)

Fetus position

Yearner position

Soldier position

Freefall position

& every now & then I sleep in..

Starfish position

Dazzy
01-06-11, 13:53
I'm a Yearner.

tombraiderluka
01-06-11, 14:19
Freefaller, it's so comfy mm :hug: