PDA

View Full Version : Are you more yourself on TRF?

Linoshi Croft
30-05-11, 22:45
TRF are full of so many wacky characters, yet I sometimes feel I can be myself more on the forums. What do you think about this?

Discuss :)

Forwen
30-05-11, 22:47
Nah, in real life, I also manifest myself as letters on a flat surface.

xXhayleyroxXx
30-05-11, 22:50
The only difference between my online self and real life self is confidence :p In real life I hardly speak to people unless they speak to me first, because I'm very shy >.< I'm more likely to speak my mind and stand up for myself online. Apart from that, I'm exactly the same.

patriots88888
30-05-11, 22:51
I'm not sure that's possible. What you see is what you get. Don't like it, as Janis would say, 'Move along...'

LOL!

Snazabaz
30-05-11, 22:53
I'd like to think I'm more or less the same. Maybe in real life i would say more sarcastic things or whatever cause it's so easily taken the wrong way on the internet :p

Reggie
30-05-11, 22:54
I think so. Some of the members here have known me longer than most people have IRL. When I'm more familiar with people, I don't tend to keep up any pretenses.

Haha :vlol:

xXhayleyroxXx
30-05-11, 22:54
I'm not sure that's possible. What you see is what you get. Don't like it, as Janis would say, 'Move along...'

Mmm. I partly agree with that but I know of a few people here who have enhanced online pesonas :p

Cochrane
30-05-11, 23:02
No, I'm way less myself, and that's a very good thing. Here, I have time to think before I utter a sentence, so I am not quite as insane. I am also less shy online, obviously (otherwise I probably wouldn't post at all). And finally, sadly, the topics that interest me most never ever appear on this forum, so I have to debate in boring threads like the common "Religion: For or against?" thing that pops up under a new name every few months.

larafan25
30-05-11, 23:10
No, I'm way less myself, and that's a very good thing. Here, I have time to think before I utter a sentence, so I am not quite as insane. I am also less shy online, obviously (otherwise I probably wouldn't post at all). And finally, sadly, the topics that interest me most never ever appear on this forum, so I have to debate in boring threads like the common "Religion: For or against?" thing that pops up under a new name every few months.

Why don't you make the topic?:)

DgoOdz94
30-05-11, 23:12
The only difference between my online self and real life self is confidence :p In real life I hardly speak to people unless they speak to me first, because I'm very shy >.< I'm more likely to speak my mind and stand up for myself online. Apart from that, I'm exactly the same.
Basically. :o

patriots88888
30-05-11, 23:16
Mmm. I partly agree with that but I know of a few people here who have enhanced online pesonas :p

I never understood those.
I mean, being shy/timid IRL and going the opposite route on forums is one thing, but making up a different personality all together makes me wonder why anyone would bother to go to such lengths. :/

xXhayleyroxXx
30-05-11, 23:17
I never understood those.
I mean, being shy/timid IRL and going the opposite route on forums is one thing, but making up a different personality all together makes me wonder why anyone would bother to go to such lengths. :/

Me too :/ I see it as very fake. I guess they see it as an amusement route.

TheRCroft
30-05-11, 23:34
I am different here from who I am at home: No.

I am different her from who I am at school: Completely. I'm dead shy at school, I don't talk to people unless they talk to me first, I am neither sarcastic nor funny (I am funny here sometimes :pi:), I talk way too much here comparing to school, and the list goes on and on :p

Basically: Yes, I feel like I can be myself here, I regret nothing on TRF :ohn:

Encore
30-05-11, 23:49
I'm not sure how to answer this, I'm not sure which "me" is more "real".

IRL, I suffer from social anxiety and do not get along well with people, specially in groups, so I'm very quiet and invisible and don't talk much.

On TRF, I'm not particularly popular either, but for obvious reasons I feel more at ease so whenever I want to say something, I say it, without caring much.

But considering that IRL is what counts, I guess that would be the real me.

lara c. fan
30-05-11, 23:49
I'm not sure how to answer this, I'm not sure which "me" is more "real".

IRL, I suffer from social anxiety and do not get along well with people, specially in groups, so I'm very quiet and invisible and don't talk much.

On TRF, I'm not particularly popular either, but for obvious reasons I feel more at ease so whenever I want to say something, I say it, without caring much.

Sums up what would have been my response. :p

!Lara Croft!
30-05-11, 23:52
Im more myself on the forums...mainly because i have no idea who I am talking to and so dont have to worry about it coming back to bite me.

(I still try to be polite though...)

larafan25
30-05-11, 23:54
I think I am more willing to flail my opinions at people and shove them down people's throats on TRF than in real live. I tend to accept the fact in real life that people will just have their ways of thinking, etc...blah blah blah....

patriots88888
31-05-11, 00:01
I think I am more willing to flail my opinions at people and shove them down people's throats on TRF than in real live. I tend to accept the fact in real life that people will just have their ways of thinking, etc...blah blah blah....

And those on TRF (or any other online forum) won't? :p

How long have you been a member here? :pi:

larafan25
31-05-11, 00:02
And those on TRF (or any other online forum) won't? :p

How long have you been a member here? :pi:

Oh right!

Well....Perhaps for some odd reason I think I can sway others over the Internet better than I can in real life....even though the success rate is low.:pi:

patriots88888
31-05-11, 00:07
Oh right!

Well....Perhaps for some odd reason I think I can sway others over the Internet better than I can in real life....even though the success rate is low.:pi:

I guess you can't be blamed for trying. :p

I haven't really seen anyone on this forum change their opinion (not on anything 'srs business' like). Hardcore would be an understatement in regards to members' opinions on TRF.

Dennis's Mom
31-05-11, 00:11

I too, must know what these topics are. Whatever it is, I will endeavor to provide adequate discussion.

*thinks*

Wait a sec. Will math be involved?

I am probably much funnier in real life. Don't laugh, I am! :D

larafan25
31-05-11, 00:13
I guess you can't be blamed for trying. :p

I haven't really seen anyone on this forum change their opinion (not on anything 'srs business' like). Hardcore would be an understatement in regards to members' opinions on TRF.

Oh! Well I only mean related to Tomb Raider.

When it comes to...political opinions or thoughts about...say.... men wearing dresses....I probably could care less. :/

KC Mraz
31-05-11, 00:18
On TRF you can't see how handsome I am, while in real life it's almost inevitable.

Personality wise, yes I'd say I'm the same. I probably speak a little less in person, but the personality is the same. There's the condition of not having to look at any of you in the eye everyday, so it allows you to be more open with less consequences.

Cochrane
31-05-11, 00:34
I too, must know what these topics are. Whatever it is, I will endeavor to provide adequate discussion.

*thinks*

Wait a sec. Will math be involved?

Why don't you make the topic?:)

The topic is railroads (mostly in Europe and the US), both the technology and the politics associated with it. Very interesting stuff, with international intrigues, the question of common good vs. profitability, safety, speed, standardization and the hurdles it has to face, a political and economical landscape that is changing very rapidly, and traction motors. If I made a thread about this here, I think there'd be maybe two replies, one along the lines of “I don't know much about trains” and the other someone complaining that his train was late yesterday. So I don't really see the point in opening it. :D

jjbennett
31-05-11, 00:38
I'm just as awesome on here as in real life homies.

Apathetic
31-05-11, 00:45
I am totally 100% the same person here and offline.

trlestew
31-05-11, 00:52
Oh! Well I only mean related to Tomb Raider.

When it comes to...political opinions or thoughts about...say.... men wearing dresses....I probably could care less. :/

Situations like that put me off of sharing my opinions here.
I would say that I do so when I'm offline, but it's not so as either no one listens to me, has no clue what I'm talking about, or does not care.

Personality wise...well I don't even show my personality when I'm offline unless I feel comfortable around that person or group. I'm too shy.

Chocola teapot
31-05-11, 01:01
I try to be as myself as possible, but there is more freedom in some respects and limitation in others.

I can speak my mind much more freely online.

IceColdLaraCroft
31-05-11, 01:17
No. I'm a different person. Like being seen through Lara's rose colored blood stained glasses.

Ikas90
31-05-11, 02:51
I think I'm more open about myself on here. Mainly because I have enough time to type out a well-thought post expressing my feelings, whereas in real life, conversations move too quickly for me to be able to express a proper opinion.

In all honesty though, I don't think I'm that much different. The only difference I can really think of is that of which I just mentioned. I'm more socially awkward in real life, and verbally limited. It's easier to type my thoughts, than to say them quickly in a conversation.

It's also the only thing I really hate about myself. The fact that I'm verbally limited in real life.

Paddy
31-05-11, 03:02
I think I'm more open about myself on here. Mainly because I have enough time to type out a well-thought post expressing my feelings, whereas in real life, conversations move too quickly for me to be able to express a proper opinion.

In all honesty though, I don't think I'm that much different. The only difference I can really think of is that of which I just mentioned. I'm more socially awkward in real life, and verbally limited. It's easier to type my thoughts, than to say them quickly in a conversation.

It's also the only thing I really hate about myself. The fact that I'm verbally limited in real life.

I know your pain, not to mention how frustrating it is when we do try to express an opinion well in my case anyway I tend to not be able to say it without people taking it the wrong way or misunderstanding it.

tombraiderluka
31-05-11, 07:26
I'm just as awesome on here as in real life homies.
Word.

sandygrimm
31-05-11, 07:28
No, I real life people actually know me :p
But meh mostly the same.:)

jajay119
31-05-11, 07:47
No, I'm always me, what's th epoint in pretending to anyone to be someone you're not? I don't have the time to waste on those sorts of shenanigans :p

Drone
31-05-11, 08:10
All the same. Only in real life my words don't get censored.

Ceamonks890
31-05-11, 08:25
I'm probably more sarcastic in real life, than on TRF:D. I'm also a bit more confident talking on TRF, since I don't see who I'm talking to. Other than that, I'm pretty much the same person.

Paddy
31-05-11, 08:35
Whats amusing is I have actually heard people say LOL in real life.
Not actually laughing but saying lol.
Like wtf is it with that?

Drone
31-05-11, 08:37
^It's like saying colon and right square bracket in real life and never smile

TRNation
31-05-11, 08:43
This is probably the only place where I can freak out about Tomb Raider as often as I want. Srsly. :D

TippingWater
31-05-11, 08:44
All the same. Only in real life my words don't get censored.

This ;):tmb: .

ryan91
31-05-11, 08:46
i'm sometimes online here but i'm fulltime online in real life :D.

BlueJ97
31-05-11, 08:47
same here :p

Lara Croft!
31-05-11, 09:23
I'm exactly the same. The only difference would be, that I would be a little shy for like the first ten minutes when meeting with a new person.

scremanie
31-05-11, 09:36
I'm actually a cat... sooooo........ yeah.

igonge
31-05-11, 11:42
I'm more forward online. In real life I wouldn't speak with strangers lol

Squibbly
31-05-11, 12:27
I'm more or less the same. It's easier for me to carry on a conversation with someone I've just met here than in real life but I think that's the only difference.

xXhayleyroxXx
31-05-11, 12:59
same here :p

Shyness ftw :p :hug: xxxxxxxxxx

BlueJ97
31-05-11, 13:50
Shyness ftw :p :hug: xxxxxxxxxx
:hug::D

Liara
31-05-11, 14:08
The weird thing is that I usually try to be nicer online than in the real world. I'm not sure why, though. *shrugs* I probably come off as more of a bitch IRL (not that I intend it, I'm just pretty antisocial and that makes me snappy and cranky. >.>)

I'm actually a cat... sooooo........ yeah.
Fantastic typing skills there, dear sir. *tips hat* The one thing closest to typing that my cats can do is sitting their ass on my keyboard.

Vinkula
31-05-11, 14:29
Yes, I am more myself on here than in real life.

Ora Dagger
31-05-11, 15:10

I'm the same way! I'm so shy in real life:o

Kelly Craftman
31-05-11, 16:20
Im pretty much the same other than I can get quite hyper and loud in real life :p

And you can't hear my laugh :pi:

Mikky
31-05-11, 16:25
I am nothing like the way I am on TRF in real life. Unless of course, I got really drunk... :pi:

moodydog
31-05-11, 17:10
aah, I am much more confident online, I tend to say what I think but in a respectful manner and I think I argue a lot more online.

I dont tend to argue with anyone in real life and I like people a lot better when I know them personally.

Cali
31-05-11, 17:17
I'm a lot quieter online I think...I don't tend to be horrible to people I know (in a jokey way) I'd say I'm not as annoying as I am in real life but that's probaly because I don't get on with everyone I am forced to be around every day at school or wherever I am. Online though, I seem to only talk to people I get on with or who like the same things I do (e.g why I am here on TRF :p) and that's maybe why I am much nicer.

trfanX34
31-05-11, 17:18
I am nothing like the way I am on TRF in real life. Unless of course, I got really drunk... :pi:

lol same :p

HURLEYstickmen
31-05-11, 17:22
Yes, I'm more myself on TRF, too. :) But I'm really depressed and very easily tired in the
real world. :(

domino92
31-05-11, 17:57
Im the same way on TRF as I am at school, but not at home.

jackles
31-05-11, 18:23
I actually think I am way more restrained here than in real life. In real life I am noisy and gesticulate a lot.

and I don't think I am shy...and in real life you annoy me and I will bite your head off.

BrandonFlowers
31-05-11, 19:00
Not really, on here I am an out and proud Bi Guy but in real life I am still closeted :o Apart from that i am pretty much the same.

ultima espio
31-05-11, 20:14
I guess :o

Anyone can be anything behind a computer screen;)

larafan25
31-05-11, 20:15
Situations like that put me off of sharing my opinions here.
I would say that I do so when I'm offline, but it's not so as either no one listens to me, has no clue what I'm talking about, or does not care.

Personality wise...well I don't even show my personality when I'm offline unless I feel comfortable around that person or group. I'm too shy.

That wasn't specifically about our manly dress conversation. There have been many. I'm quite a promiscuous debater. :o

Rai
31-05-11, 20:20

Copycat! :mad:

Just kidding (about the emote) :p. But really, this is me. I'm definitely more articulate online - as you get time to think about what to say. Other than this I try to stay true to myself online and off.

ultima espio
31-05-11, 20:22
Well actually, on here people can actually understand what I'm saying, I don't get the "Ehh?" response as often:o

Lenochka
31-05-11, 20:23
Originally yes, I used the internet in general to lead my secret gay life (Mannah Gaytana :p) since literally nobody around me knew lol. Now? Not so much. I am pretty much out. (Just not to my family :p) I don't see much a difference between me on the computer and me off the computer.

larafan25
31-05-11, 20:24
Originally yes, I used the internet in general to lead my secret gay life (Mannah Gaytana :p) since literally nobody knew on the outside world lol. Now? Not so much. I am pretty much out. (Just not to my family :p)

That's pretty fantastic!:vlol:

cezy rockeru
01-06-11, 10:19
The only thing I have to say:
jhC1pI76Rqo

Changeling
01-06-11, 10:23
Not really. I'm much more popular irl than on TRF, so I come out of my shell more when I'm around my friends.