PDA

View Full Version : Note to webmaster and moderators (For any member who can agree :/ )

Alex Shepherd
31-05-11, 22:46
Sorry for making two threads at the same day... But I have a question...
Can we have a special forum alone for only the game threads?! Where we can put only the games thread and it may be easy for us to have general discussion alone and the game thread alone...
Who agrees :/
It can be put in sub-forums with the Art... forum :/

Love2Raid
31-05-11, 23:02
Subforum for games would be great. :)

StefanJ94
31-05-11, 23:03
^ I agree! :tmb: Every forum I'm registered in has it, why not here too? :D

Underworld2008
31-05-11, 23:16
I agree! A sub-forum for games would be good :D It'll make it easier to find them/keep them in one place, and so people who don't like them can just not go there :D

Alex Shepherd
31-05-11, 23:24
Thank you guys :) You all read my mind
I just sent this link to the webmaster and thanks :)

Mr.Burns
31-05-11, 23:44
I'll state the general consensus amongst the moderation staff the last time this was brought up: No one wants to moderate a game thread subsection. It's a hard job as it is, yet having to dig through all of that crap, waste of time and brain cells.

Alex Shepherd
31-05-11, 23:46
I'll state the general consensus amongst the moderation staff the last time this was brought up: No one wants to moderate a game thread subsection. It's a hard job as it is, yet having to dig through all of that crap, waste of time and brain cells.

I can help and link them to you :)

larafan25
31-05-11, 23:46

One day you'll be able to purchase 12-packs of those, I swear on my existence.

However this makes sense, it would be quite...boring, redundant, annoying, etc...To moderate such a section.

Mr.Burns
31-05-11, 23:47
I can help and link them to you :)

I'm not a moderator Alex :p I think it's very unlikely that a game thread subsection will be created. Just my two cents as an ex-mod. :)

@Lara: As long as they come in a twist top bottle, I'll be happy :)

Alex Shepherd
31-05-11, 23:49
I'm not a moderator Alex :p I think it's very unlikely that a game thread subsection will be created. Just my two cents as an ex-mod. :)

@Lara: As long as they come in a twist top bottle, I'll be happy :)

No I meant I can link the websites for them :p LOL!!
But why it's very unlikely.. It will make the general discussion goes easier :p

Paddy
31-05-11, 23:54
Make the game threads not add to peoples post counts. Its nothing but spam anyway.

Tony9595
31-05-11, 23:56
^ Or even better, delete and ban game threads :cln:

[Though the one about the differences seems quite nice :pi:]

Legend of Lara
31-05-11, 23:57
Make the game threads not add to peoples post counts. Its nothing but spam anyway.

Some forums do that.

patriots88888
01-06-11, 00:04

Ya know, I'm thinking this might be the general view on this forum. While I can see that for those who excessively post in them, it's nice to get a break from the serious discussion once in a while and have something like those to post in, so I can't say that I agree that they are spam because they are seen as 'less important'. By that reasoning, I could say the same thing about 90% of all the other threads/posts on this forum. :p

Encore
01-06-11, 00:48
By that reasoning, I could say the same thing about 90% of all the other threads/posts on this forum. :p

There IS a lot of seemingly meaningless chatter around the forum, but at least it's still chatter. The difference between that and game threads is that posts in game threads have absolutely no point whatsoever, they're not a conversation, they're not even a chat, they're just pointless posts of a couple of words posted again and again and again.

I think that if we had more games concerning Tomb Raider itself it would be fun, but most of the games created are just beyond stupid, they're brainless.

Are you saying that game threads aren't moderated now? :confused:

Quasimodo
01-06-11, 00:57

Or get rid of post counts. It'll be interesting to see what kinds of threads begin to dry up!

Mr.Burns
01-06-11, 01:00
There IS a lot of seemingly meaningless chatter around the forum, but at least it's still chatter. The difference between that and game threads is that posts in game threads have absolutely no point whatsoever, they're not a conversation, they're not even a chat, they're just pointless posts of a couple of words posted again and again and again.

I think that if we had more games concerning Tomb Raider itself it would be fun, but most of the games created are just beyond stupid, they're brainless.

Are you saying that game threads aren't moderated now? :confused:

They are, though not because it's a joy. I hated it. It's one thing I absolutely don't miss about being a moderator.

Paddy
01-06-11, 01:02
Ya know, I'm thinking this might be the general view on this forum. While I can see that for those who excessively post in them, it's nice to get a break from the serious discussion once in a while and have something like those to post in, so I can't say that I agree that they are spam because they are seen as 'less important'. By that reasoning, I could say the same thing about 90% of all the other threads/posts on this forum. :p
Maybe but if thats the case they wouldn't care about it not being added to post count :p
Or get rid of post counts. It'll be interesting to see what kinds of threads begin to dry up!
Lol I agree, would be interesting.

patriots88888
01-06-11, 01:12
Then my question would be: What constitutes a game thread? Would the 'Tomb Raider Crossword Puzzle' count? Or the more recent 'Tomb Raider (Guess the difference)'?

I think certain peeps hate on them only because they aren't interested. Which is why I said that going by that reasoning, I could say the same for a good amount of other threads/posts on TRF. The way I've always viewed it, spam is posting just for the sake of posting without adding anything relevant to the given topic/thread.

Paddy
01-06-11, 01:14
True but as I said if they really did enjoy the game threads why would they care about it not adding to their post count?
If it is only to add to post count then it is spam.

patriots88888
01-06-11, 01:20
True but as I said if they really did enjoy the game threads why would they care about it not adding to their post count?
If it is only to add to post count then it is spam.

Why would anyone care about post counts? It seems the ones who are the most concerned about it are the ones who take notice of the post counts of others. Why should post counts increase in Open Chat, the Wrestling thread, Penny for your thoughts, or the Confession threrad?

I'm still wondering what the prize is for them. :pi:

peeves
01-06-11, 01:21
Game threads should still add post count but people can only have 2 turns per day.

CerebralAssassin

the song thread will be the first to dry up:p

Paddy
Why would anyone care about post counts? It seems the ones who are the most concerned about it are the ones who take notice of the post counts of others. Why should post counts increase in Open Chat, the Wrestling thread, Penny for your thoughts, or the Confession threrad?

I'm still wondering what the prize is for them. :pi:

Don't ask me, I'm just adding my thoughts to the discussion. :p
the song thread will be the first to dry up:p

I would still post in it, I love to post whatever metal Im into :p

Encore
01-06-11, 01:24
Then my question would be: What constitutes a game thread? Would the 'Tomb Raider Crossword Puzzle' count? Or the more recent 'Tomb Raider (Guess the difference)'?

I think certain peeps hate on them only because they aren't interested. Which is why I said that going by that reasoning, I could say the same for a good amount of other threads/posts on TRF. The way I've always viewed it, spam is posting just for the sake of posting without adding anything relevant to the given topic/thread.

Tomb Raider themed games are OK in my book because they are relevant to the forum we're in.

And the reason I hate game threads is not because I'm not interested or because of them raising post counts - it's because they are painfully POINTLESS. I mean, I dislike Lady Gaga or Britney Spears but I consider their respective threads are perfectly fine and acceptable. Because people actually talk in them. And ultimately a forum is just that - a place for people to talk. But what's the point in having a thread that consists of people posting random things in a row?

Paddy
01-06-11, 01:26
Tomb Raider themed games are OK in my book because they are relevant to the forum we're in.

And the reason I hate game threads is not because I'm not interested or because of them raising post counts - it's because they are painfully POINTLESS. I mean, I dislike Lady Gaga or Britney Spears but I consider their respective threads are perfectly fine and acceptable. Because people actually talk in them. And ultimately a forum is just that - a place for people to talk. But what's the point in having a thread that consists of people posting random things in a row?

Agreed with this as well :tmb:

patriots88888
01-06-11, 01:28
But what's the point in having a thread that consists of people posting random things in a row?

Like the gifs and lol's in non-gaming threads?

Encore
01-06-11, 01:30
Like the gifs and lol's in non-gaming threads?

Those people are still responding to the OP and/or posts before theirs.

patriots88888
01-06-11, 01:31
Those people are still responding to the OP and/or posts before theirs.

And that's different to game threads how?

Paddy
01-06-11, 01:33

I don't see it as any different at all. Not exactly a constructive response not to mention gifs are often annoying. Depending how often they get used of course.

Encore
01-06-11, 01:36

In a normal thread - and as the word "thread" itself implies - there is a continuous conversation going on with an underlying specific subject. Regardless of the occasional Lols and gifs, the conversation proceeds. And when the thread becomes nothing more than lols and gifs, then the mods usually close it anyway.

CerebralAssassin
01-06-11, 01:38
Don't ask me, I'm just adding my thoughts to the discussion. :p

I would still post in it, I love to post whatever metal Im into :p

that's fine really....but wouldn't it be better to post it in the metal thread?that way some meaningful discussion might take place:p you and I have a vastly different taste in music than the rest of the forum....posting a tune in an endless sea of ****y pop tunes isn't helping our case:p

Paddy
01-06-11, 01:40
that's fine really....but wouldn't it be better to post it in the metal thread?that way some meaningful discussion might take place:p you and I have a vastly different taste in music than the rest of the forum....posting a tune in an endless sea of ****y pop tunes isn't helping our case:p
Now you put it like that, that is a really good point :p

patriots88888
01-06-11, 01:44
In a normal thread - and as the word "thread" itself implies - there is a continuous conversation going on with an underlying specific subject. Regardless of the occasional Lols and gifs, the conversation proceeds. And when the thread becomes nothing more than lols and gifs, then the mods usually close it anyway.

I understand and I didn't mean to be difficult. Just wanted to make the obvious point which is: Most peeps on this forum seem more concerned with what others are doing/are up to than what they themselves might be posting and seen as spamming. It really seems like there is a double standard with this on TRF that I haven't really ever witnessed on any other forum I have been a member of... 'It's okay for me and him and her, but not for you!'

ozzman
01-06-11, 02:19
i agree , we need one, and not adding Post count is also a good idea, alot of sites do this, a general Tomb Raider Section would also be nice

Encore
01-06-11, 02:22
I understand and I didn't mean to be difficult. Just wanted to make the obvious point which is: Most peeps on this forum seem more concerned with what others are doing/are up to than what they themselves might be posting and seen as spamming. It really seems like there is a double standard with this on TRF that I haven't really ever witnessed on any other forum I have been a member of... 'It's okay for me and him and her, but not for you!'

That could be true, but most of the people I've seen complaining about game threads aren't spammers themselves.

.... or am I? :pi:

patriots88888
01-06-11, 04:00
That could be true, but most of the people I've seen complaining about game threads aren't spammers themselves.

.... or am I? :pi:

No, far from it actually.

The point I'm trying to convey is, what affect do these or any other threads that those of us who have little to no interest in have on any of us really? Are they really that difficult to ignore? I understand that everyone wants to shape the forum to their own personal liking, but that's not how forums (especially one with the diversity of TRF) work. You have to take the good and desirable with the bad and accept the fact that the only person who has the ultimate say on what is allowed and what isn't is the admin himself... and seeing as he allows them to be a part of TRF, I'm assuming he doesn't have much of a problem with them as long as the rules of the forum/posting are complied with.

I guess I could sum it all up with: I just don't see much point in complaining about things which are out of our control. Maybe with enough persistance it would do some good and our admin might reconsider allowing them, but after all this time, I have my serious doubts about that.

----------

Part of the reason why I brought gifs into the conversation earlier is because there was a time when they were quite frequent (as much as entire pages of them, one right after another) but just like the 'meaningless' game threads (This or That, etc..) the usage of them has calmed down considerably. In fact, I haven't even seen the 'This or That' thread in quite awhile now. TRF is all about fads, (which can include being rebellious and posting out of spite just to 'make the point') there is no denying that. :vlol:

For the record, I very rarely ever post in any game threads and haven't posted in those 'one word' game threads in quite some time now... I lost interest in them quickly - only a few months into my membership here. However, just because 'I' no longer participate in them, it doesn't mean that I can't see how anyone else might find them enjoyable and beneficial to the forum. That seems to be a common theme on TRF: If I don't like it, it's junk and shouldn't be allowed on the forum!'

sheepman23
01-06-11, 04:04
Interesting. Personally, I think a game board would be great, but I can understand if the moderators don't want to do it. ;)

cezy rockeru
01-06-11, 04:36
Spam removed

sheepman23
01-06-11, 04:37

Hopefully mine isn't stupid? :p

Sir Croft
01-06-11, 04:43
Creating a sub-forum for game threads would unleash an insane amount of game threads, and that's not good. I'm not against such threads, but it would be better not to have loads of them.

Lara Croft!
01-06-11, 09:46
This proposition has been put to the table by several members in the past. There must be a reason why the admin and mods leave things as they are.

I remember myself suggesting in the past, for the games sub-forum to be without post counting. You can participate in a game as much as you want, but you won't have more post counts.

tampi
01-06-11, 10:06
The game threads are popular when there is no a Tomb Raider game in the making.
But they are not popular feeds when there are fresh news about a new game or when the game is on the street.

I mean, are inversely proportional to the news about a new TR game.

Maybe i'm wrong.

Dennis's Mom
01-06-11, 12:08
Personally, I support a game thread forum because I prefer actual "chat" in my General Chat. However, they are not super difficult to ignore. The status quo is not unbearable.

I can't help but feel part of this movement is because the plethora of game threads congregating at the topic of the forum highlight the lack of actual discussion the forum generates. Hence the effort to move all the undesirables off to another neighborhood, so we can convince ourselves there's something to talk about.

If folks want CHAT, then make some threads that discuss topics.

As for post count . . . REALLY? http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/LisaB1138/smilies/20.gif Someone is actually concerned that posting in game forums adds to post count? A virtual number that has no meaning is a cause for concern?

Lara Croft!
01-06-11, 12:30
As for post count . . . REALLY? http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/LisaB1138/smilies/20.gif Someone is actually concerned that posting in game forums adds to post count? A virtual number that has no meaning is a cause for concern?

I have seen that happening in a Greek forum. People were spamming the games' threads in order to get more posts, so the admins made it so that the posts in that section wouldn't count. A lot of people stopped playing. Is that so surprising to you?

Edit: Unless you mean why should I care. I am against post counting altogether. As you said, it doesn't mean anything. But to some people it does, and the try to raise it by spamming in game threads etc.

LNSNHGTDS
01-06-11, 12:35
Isn't there already a sub-forum for video games? (this one http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)

Or do you mean something else?

Dennis's Mom
01-06-11, 12:41
Edit: Unless you mean why should I care. I am against post counting altogether. As you said, it doesn't mean anything. But to some people it does, and the try to raise it by spamming in game threads etc.

That's what I meant. Still don't care. If some people's lives are so fraught with failure that a high post count at TRF gives them the small victory needed to make it through another day, more power to them.

I'm old enough to look at that number and feel embarrassed. There are folks out there curing cancer, fighting for democracy, rebuilding homes. Me? I've got 5,000 posts at TRF. This will not be on my resume. :vlol:

Isn't there already a sub-forum for video games? (this one http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)

Or do you mean something else?

Threads like this one: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=181422

jajay119
01-06-11, 13:18
I don't really think there's enough games for a sub forum dedicated to them, and I hope it stays that way. One reason I stopped frequenting the Eidos TR forums was because the first 10-15 threads were always games an no one was actually chatting. Here there doesn't seemt to be that problem :)

Also, what's all this hate with post counts? It's a harmless feature, it's not as if you get anything from it so I don't see where this spamming to raise your number attitude is coming from :confused:

sheepman23
01-06-11, 13:56
I don't really think there's enough games for a sub forum dedicated to them, and I hope it stays that way. One reason I stopped frequenting the Eidos TR forums was because the first 10-15 threads were always games an no one was actually chatting. Here there doesn't seemt to be that problem :)

Also, what's all this hate with post counts? It's a harmless feature, it's not as if you get anything from it so I don't see where this spamming to raise your number attitude is coming from :confused:

This. It's not like there's a ton of games going on right now in General Chat... The TR1 Elimination Game, The "Spot the Difference" Game, the TR crossword puzzle... that's all I can think of. Outside of GC, there's the "Guess That Level" games. And all of these relate to Tomb Raider, too. :tmb:

Spong
01-06-11, 21:48

If that's still the way the staff here work, frankly, I'm shocked. Is this board really shaped by what the staff can or can't be bothered to do? Their personal opinions of individual forum tasks has no place. If there's a board/thread that members of staff hate modding, tough, that's what you're here for. If you don't want that responsibility, stop being a mod.

I think the discussion should be open to everyone and that the majority opinion should prevail, not left to the overriding opinions of mods who apparently "can't be arsed" :rolleyes:

Simochka
01-06-11, 22:01
If that's still the way the staff here work, frankly, I'm shocked. Is this board really shaped by what the staff can or can't be bothered to do? Their personal opinions of individual forum tasks has no place. If there's a board/thread that members of staff hate modding, tough, that's what you're here for. If you don't want that responsibility, stop being a mod.

I think the discussion should be open to everyone and that the majority opinion should prevail, not left to the overriding opinions of mods who apparently "can't be arsed" :rolleyes:

But try to see it from their perspective. Would you like to spend your time looking through game threads that gets updated 24/7? :p

TRhalloween
01-06-11, 22:04
There aren't that many game threads.

Spong
01-06-11, 22:21
But try to see it from their perspective. Would you like to spend your time looking through game threads that gets updated 24/7? :p

If that's what needs to be done, so be it. But why should I see it from their perspective? Their perspective is irrelevant because, as a member of staff, they're here to fulfil a role/purpose. Being a mod isn't about doing the forum-related things you like, as I said before, if that's all they're interested in then they shouldn't be a mod. The thought that this place could or has missed out on things because the staff couldn't be bothered or didn't like the forethought is detrimental to the greater good of this forum.

Things like this should be discussed using a public poll, not closed discussions that members can't & don't hear.

Mr.Burns
01-06-11, 23:38
Spong, no offense here because I've respected your opinion in the past but **** off. The job is a volunteer position, in addition to a moderator's other obligations. You can sit there and say that it's their responsibility to check all threads and yes, it's the case. But try doing that day in and day out, having to dig through useless crap (yes, it's crap, imo). Try doing that job for a while and see if you can hold on to that piety and high handed opinion. It's not easy, they DO check the threads, but that doesn't mean they aren't justified in expressing their opinions. They're still members of this forum.

Phlip
01-06-11, 23:51
Spong, no offense here because I've respected your opinion in the past but **** off.

So you're allowed to tell people to **** off here? Even if the situation may or may not call for it? :rolleyes:

Encore
02-06-11, 00:19

The way I see it, if they hate it so much, they shouldn't allow game threads in the first place - period. If they DO allow them, then honestly, I couldn't care less how hard it is for them to moderate them - it's their choice.

I once visited a forum that didn't allow any threads where answers consisted of individual posts or just listing things. In that forum, threads like "What song are you listening to", "Your mood", or "Pic of the Day" were closed. And nobody complained. It WAS a bit extreme but let's face it, at least people actually bothered to talk to each other.

So you're allowed to tell people to **** off here? Even if the situation may or may not call for it? :rolleyes:

I'll just quietly sit here and wait for that post to be moderated for "offensive content". ;)
(who knows, maybe I'll die waiting)

Quasimodo
02-06-11, 00:26
The thought that this place could or has missed out on things because the staff couldn't be bothered or didn't like the forethought is detrimental to the greater good of this forum.

Has the forum really missed out on anything much because of that? A forum game sub-section. Woop dee doo.

larafan25
02-06-11, 00:30
I can see Spong's point, visually....

However as Quasimodo points out above, physically and in reality there is not much of a negative effect from these habits.

I still respect what the mods do though.

patriots88888
02-06-11, 00:34
The way I see it, if they hate it so much, they shouldn't allow game threads in the first place - period. If they DO allow them, then honestly, I couldn't care less how hard it is for them to moderate them - it's their choice.

As far as I'm aware, it's not the moderators' choice as to whether they are allowed or not... unless they have input into what type of content/threads are allowed. It's not their forum, their responsibilities are to enforce the rules/decisions Justin puts forth. So yea, I most certainly can empathize with them about having to weed through topics which they have no interest in.

I just don't think it's right to label all game threads as spam... there is a greater chance for spamming within them, certainly, but for those who moderately post within them and don't abuse the priveledge, I don't see the harm in them. It's nice to have options and to have some 'lighter' threads like these. So the way I see it, it really comes down to self-moderation, but unfortunately, as we all are aware of, that doesn't always work out so well.

Lara Croft!
02-06-11, 10:14
I'm old enough to look at that number and feel embarrassed. There are folks out there curing cancer, fighting for democracy, rebuilding homes. Me? I've got 5,000 posts at TRF. This will not be on my resume. :vlol:

You're embarrassed over 5000? Imagine you had mine. I'm neither embarrassed nor proud of my posts.

just croft
02-06-11, 10:43

I have posted a few times on these threads. However I'm not a fan of them. I think that it would be a great way of cleaning up the gen-chat and I also think it would make moderation easier. Even if no mod want to have to job at least you'll have to agree that putting these threads seperatly will make them more organized and therefore easier to handle. Because the exist already, so you have to handle them anyway.

Tony9595
02-06-11, 16:26
Make the new section, move game threads there and disable the "New thread" button.

I think that's possible, if someone wants to create a new game they'd have to contact a mod and if they approve then they'll make the thread. If it's just another copy of an already existing thread but with a minimal difference then simply reject the idea.

That way there'd be no difference to what mods have to do now and at the same time keep the General Section clean from those threads.