PDA

View Full Version : Your experience with trains and knowledge about them.

tampi
01-06-11, 12:39
Well, this thread may seem a little weird, but I'm sure some members may comment on it interesting things.

From the moment that a Tomb Raider game has a train, this makes it doubly interesting.

My relationship with trains has been varied throughout life.
As a child, I dreamed of having a train to scale.
Not only one if not i had two. And I spent great moments with it. Recreating accidents or simply by turning and forming part of other parallel stories.

http://i.imgur.com/zw2S9.jpg (http://imgur.com/zw2S9)

As a teenager trains for me was the image of power, weight and extraordinary strength of their machines.
In summer we enjoyed watching them and counting their numerous freight wagons.

Half life've been riding the subway and suffering their grips, odors and also theirs speed and brakings.

Now the trains, with high speed, have become more typical elements of business people. People travel smartly in their wagons, air conditioning and amenities have become even transport aparently rough, something worthy of the highest comfort.

Anyway. I've always been impressed with its power and grandeur.

http://i.imgur.com/WKEpF.jpg (http://imgur.com/WKEpF)

http://i.imgur.com/1O0S7.jpg (http://imgur.com/1O0S7)

^^Impressive!:cool:

Share your experiences on trains. Do you met your boy-girlfriend on a train? Whatever! Just for fun! :tmb:

Mad Tony
01-06-11, 12:43
Cochrane, your time has come. :D

cezy rockeru
01-06-11, 12:44
I went to the beach by train.
Last year.
First time ever.
And never since.
I lost my trainginity.
Story of my life.

tampi
01-06-11, 12:53
Cochrane, your time has come. :D

:D

And your experience??? :smk::D

MyRaider4Life
01-06-11, 12:58
In Australia, people piss on the trains. ;_;

patriots88888
01-06-11, 13:10
Well, this thread may seem a little weird, but I'm sure some members may comment on it interesting things.

From the moment that a Tomb Raider game has a train, this makes it doubly interesting.

Meh, I never liked Desert Railroad in TR4. It was such a letdown after the great exploring and tomby (my word so :p) levels (Tomb of Semerkhet, Guardian of Semerkhet, etc...) which preceeded it... it was nothing more than an overhyped shooter level... and a boring one at that.

Sorry if that's not on topic but it's all I have to add to this thread.

cezy rockeru
01-06-11, 13:11

Nice.

Nephili
01-06-11, 13:13
I rarely get excited about travelling on trains anymore as I used to commute for an hour each day to work, and now I still catch a train every day for work (only 15 min journey though)

When I was a kid I used to love catching a train, I would get so excited by everything. The smell of the train, the noises. It was awesome.

I quite like doing long journeys on a train. But as long as its not for work :D

Avalon SARL
01-06-11, 13:18
Never had a personal experience with it, as we don't yet have one in the country.

there used to be long ago, before war destroyed the tracks... :pi:

But I have some story about my grandpa and his eldest son...
This was more than 70 years ago :p

My grandfather was a chief and he was taking the train with his son towards the city.

There, some other man was a bit cruel and started arguing with my grandfather...

Then came my Uncle to the rescue...
He punched the man and threw him outside the window :pi:

:vlol:

jajay119
01-06-11, 13:23
My exerience with trains is that they are over priced, slow, shabby and unreliable for the most part, speaking nationally. My local trains service is quite good.

In France, trains are expensive but they work well, they're fast and very comfortable. They're still my preferred mode of tansport for non cross country travel through. Mainly because they don't make me feel ill!

Kiss-Bite
01-06-11, 13:32
You board them & they take you somewhere.. :p I do have some other experiences on trains that I just can't talk about in junior chat.. :mis:

Ikas90
01-06-11, 14:33
I love trains. I've been on trans-continental journeys with trains alone, lol.

I've always liked them. They roll smoothly across the terrain. It's good when you have a sleeping compartment on it too.

I've spent quite a lot of time in trains.

Oh, and I used to love Thomas the Tank Engine.

Autolycus
01-06-11, 14:38
Oh, and I used to love Thomas the Tank Engine.
Lol, admit it Saki you still do :D

I quite like trains used to be a bit of a nerd when I was younger. I love the trains in Europe especially in Holland the double decker ones.

Ikas90
01-06-11, 14:39
Lol, admit it Saki you still do :D

I quite like trains used to be a bit of a nerd when I was younger. I love the trains in Europe especially in Holland the double decker ones.

Those ones are pretty cool!

Fastest one I've been on was the French TGV. Think it went past 300km/h.

British Virgin trains are also pretty decent. London to Birmingham in an hour.

scoopy_loopy
01-06-11, 14:43
I've only caught a train once, went from the suburbs into the "city". It was LOUD! But pretty fun I guess.

Liara
01-06-11, 14:50
When I was a kid I used to love catching a train, I would get so excited by everything. The smell of the train, the noises. It was awesome.
There's just something fundamentally relaxing about riding the train, isn't there? I can't put my finger on it, but it must have something to do with the fact that you have the chance to sit back and watch the world go by for a few good hours without being disturbed. (Unless there's someone with noisy kids or a baby nearby...)

Autolycus
01-06-11, 14:51
Those ones are pretty cool!

Fastest one I've been on was the French TGV. Think it went past 300km/h.

British Virgin trains are also pretty decent. London to Birmingham in an hour.

Yeah I think Virgin trains are the best in the UK due to British rail not actually owning them.

Cochrane
01-06-11, 16:06
Why, that is an interesting thread! :D

I'm obviously a huge train fan, trying to know as much about them as possible and taking pictures of trains whenever I can. I also use trains for all travel where it is useful. The experience varies a lot by region, of course (for example the german network is much better than the belgian one, but much worse than the one in Switzerland).

Hm, I'm not sure what else I can say since this is such a wide field.

sandygrimm
01-06-11, 16:42
I always loved to travel by train, as long as they didn't smell like a wet dog :p
But I hate train stations . Too crowded and people busslin', running, not to mention the sometimes rude ticket tellers.

Since my grandpa was a war veteran he had free fair to travel all over by train first class too. So when I was little we'd go to the countryside a lot and visit other cities, but the train stations always smelled so bad.
Last time I went by train was in 2007 at the National art contests, and I went with some colleagues on the first Blue Arrow train that was recently put into function. We played games , slept on wide seats, even had a coffee machine in it! Only thing I didn't like is that it was like a tram, no compartments :p Otherwise was nice.. and smelled good!

Lara's Nemesis
01-06-11, 17:05
Anytime I think of trains I always remember a dark day in my hometown's history. The Tay Bridge disaster of 28th December 1879 which claimed 75 lives.

http://i56.************/sdhi04.jpg

The supports from the old bridge are still clearly visible today.

http://i54.************/2n1fbqq.jpg

"The locomotive, NBR 224 built by Thomas Wheatley at Cowlairs Works, survived the disaster, being salvaged from the river and repaired. It remained in service until 1919, acquiring the nickname of "The Diver"; many superstitious drivers were reluctant to take it over the new bridge".
http://i52.************/o6kzs4.jpg
http://taybridgedisaster.co.uk/

As far as my own experiences go the best train ride I have been on was Dundee to Inverness, some amazing scenery on that route up to the Highlands. Like the fact you can get up and wander around on a train, much better than being stuck on a bus. Quite an expensive way to travel in the UK tho. :(

One of my best friends did the Transsiberian journey a few years ago, would love to do that one day.

My nephews are big fans of trains especially Thomas the Tank Engine. :p They love seeing real trains up close as well.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-06-11, 17:12
I love old steam trains <3 Other than that, I hate public transport of any kind xD

Cochrane
01-06-11, 18:33
To any british people in here: What do you think about the plans for High Speed 2? The general idea seems very good to me, but I have no idea about how well the details are implemented.

Drone
01-06-11, 18:33
I hate trains. They remind me of nazis.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/7388/germantrooptrain1.jpg

Agent 47
01-06-11, 18:38
To any british people in here: What do you think about the plans for High Speed 2? The general idea seems very good to me, but I have no idea about how well the details are implemented.

Never heard of it to be honest. How much or who's paying for it :confused:

Mad Tony
01-06-11, 18:39
To any british people in here: What do you think about the plans for High Speed 2? The general idea seems very good to me, but I have no idea about how well the details are implemented.Excellent! High Speed 1 which I'm sure you are aware of was a great success IMO. I used it last year to get into London every morning when I was on work experience. The only problem with it is that for half the journey (not the distance) it goes the same speed as a normal train until it gets to Ashford (which is still quite far from London) where it goes into fast mode.

High Speed 2 would be great for me because I go up to Birmingham a lot to see my football team play and I would be able to go up much easier on my own by taking the High Speed 1 to London and then High Speed 2 to Birmingham.

Cochrane
01-06-11, 19:25
Never heard of it to be honest. How much or who's paying for it :confused:
I read that current estimated costs are 31bn, but experience shows that such things always cost more in the end. It will be paid for mainly by the british tax payer, but unless the UKIP get their wish, I expect that EU funds will play a part, too, since it will almost certainly become part of the TEN. The government will get some of the money back from the train operators via track access charges, but this is unlikely to be a project that will break even on its own. The overall effects on the economy have to be considered.

And I know you didn't ask, but for others who may be curious: It is a proposed high-speed line from London to the north of england and possibly south of scotland (as a future extension). The first stage will be up to Birmingham. Trains will run at speeds larger than 200 mph (plans actually go up to 250 mph) on the new line. Many will then continue via the existing network to their final destinations.

Excellent! High Speed 1 which I'm sure you are aware of was a great success IMO. I used it last year to get into London every morning when I was on work experience. The only problem with it is that for half the journey (not the distance) it goes the same speed as a normal train until it gets to Ashford (which is still quite far from London) where it goes into fast mode.

High Speed 2 would be great for me because I go up to Birmingham a lot to see my football team play and I would be able to go up much easier on my own by taking the High Speed 1 to London and then High Speed 2 to Birmingham.

I'll finally be able to see High Speed 1 for myself next weekend, when I'm going on a week-long trip to London. It sounds like it should be fun!

As I understand it, the british rail network, like any successful rail network, is horribly overloaded. New long distance lines like HS2 are a step in the right direction and urgently needed; the biggest problem I see with HS2 is that it is probably not enough. In a country that is as densely populated as the UK, building such a line cannot be cheap, but I think the overall effect on the economy will be positive.

Agent 47
01-06-11, 19:38
I read that current estimated costs are 31bn, but experience shows that such things always cost more in the end. It will be paid for mainly by the british tax payer, but unless the UKIP get their wish, I expect that EU funds will play a part, too, since it will almost certainly become part of the TEN. The government will get some of the money back from the train operators via track access charges, but this is unlikely to be a project that will break even on its own. The overall effects on the economy have to be considered.

And I know you didn't ask, but for others who may be curious: It is a proposed high-speed line from London to the north of england and possibly south of scotland (as a future extension). The first stage will be up to Birmingham. Trains will run at speeds larger than 200 mph (plans actually go up to 250 mph) on the new line. Many will then continue via the existing network to their final destinations.

I'll finally be able to see High Speed 1 for myself next weekend, when I'm going on a week-long trip to London. It sounds like it should be fun!

As I understand it, the british rail network, like any successful rail network, is horribly overloaded. New long distance lines like HS2 are a step in the right direction and urgently needed; the biggest problem I see with HS2 is that it is probably not enough. In a country that is as densely populated as the UK, building such a line cannot be cheap, but I think the overall effect on the economy will be positive.

I see, thanks for info. Sounds like a good idea having a high speed rail network, tis about time the UK caught up with other countries :D

oh and enjoy your visit.

Lara Croft!
01-06-11, 21:16
The only experiences I have is travelling on one. I have used a train many times inside Greece and only once abroad. I was in Egypt, going from Cairo to Alexandria and on the way back, food poisoning knocked on my door and I spent all the trip in a very, veeeery dirty train toilet. That was some train experience I must say.

Uzi master
01-06-11, 22:45
I love old steam trains <3 Other than that, I hate public transport of any kind xD

Its better for the enviorment than taking a car, I though you loved the enviroment :eek:

or is that only the animals in it?:p

Capt. Murphy
02-06-11, 09:31
My experience has been that they are noisy, and sometimes are carrying many many cars right when you come to the tracks and you're on your way to work! :mad: :vlol:

Although it seems like it's been quite a while since I last heard a train. And I live about a block from some tracks.

trlestew
02-06-11, 11:56

Ew.

Over here, people do clothed "strip teases" or strip off their pants.
I'm not sure which is worse.

My experience with the subway here has been decent. It's never crashed while we were on it, and it has been able to take me to and from places...like any other method of transportation.
I do prefer the train compared to bus, though...

How odd this all is. :o

Rai
02-06-11, 12:10
I've traveled on a fair few trains. Going by train to the the south of France takes a loong time. Going on the Eurostar was pretty cool though. Trains can be pretty pricey. I've experienced quite a lot of delays - for all manner of excuses, including leaves, rain, and birds. UK trains are improving, though I've also been on some really really rickety things.

After not being on a train for ages my son and I needed to get to reading on Monday, which involved 3 trains. We did dun goofed on the way back though. We had a choice: get on a train direct to Bournemouth or wait for another to Southampton and change for Christchurch. So I decided to go direct to Bournemouth and to get a bus back home. Unfortunately when we got there we discovered new ticket barriers had been installed and we couldn't get through as our tickets terminated at Christchurch. Ooops. Luckily the guard (reluctantly and grumpily) let us pass.

tampi
02-06-11, 12:11
I have not traveled in the current high-speed trains, but who has done it says they are very comfortable.
These are some pictures of the cockpit. The sense of speed should be striking good.

http://i.imgur.com/6G5w3.jpg (http://imgur.com/6G5w3)
http://i.imgur.com/D4ex6.jpg (http://imgur.com/D4ex6)

How far are now steam engines....

Toilets on trains.
I remember that at some old train, you could see the floor of the track through the toilet hole. :eek:lol

Rai
02-06-11, 12:14
^that would stop me from going :eek:

tampi
02-06-11, 12:16
^that would stop me from going :eek:

Truth? He only needs to wear a Formula 1 helmet :D

The Great Chi
02-06-11, 12:59
I was on this mountain 'cog railway' in Austria, and the train is called 'the Salamander'.

What is unusual about it, is that it has a very special safety feature, that I have never seen before on any other mountain train.

If the winds get excessively strong, the train stops and locks onto the rail cog, then two hydraulic legs comes out of the train and on each of the carrages, onto the ground on the opposite side to the wind (as small diagram in picture) to stabalise the train from going over the mountain edge due to winds :eek:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/greatchi/Salamander.jpg

Here is someones travel blog I found on the internet about the train ......
http://noraphotos.blogspot.com/2010/10/trip-by-salamander-cogwheel-railway.html