PDA

View Full Version : Smiling? Smiling is for suckers...

Catapharact
02-06-11, 14:57
Smiling men less attractive to women: study.

Source: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/smiling-men-less-attractive-women-study-212823271.html

Women find men less attractive when they smile compared to when they take on swaggering or brooding poses, a Canadian study has found.
In contrast, men find women more attractive when they smile, and least attractive when they look proud and confident, the study of 1,084 heterosexual university students shows.

"Generally, the results appear to reflect some very traditional gender norms and cultural values that have emerged, developed and been reinforced through history, at least in Western cultures," Jessica Tracy, a sociologist at Vancouver's University of British Columbia, said in a statement Tuesday.

TRfan23
02-06-11, 14:59
Apparently when I smile I look cute.

To be honest from my POV I'd agree with this study.

Ikas90
02-06-11, 15:02
Is this why you never smile in your pics? Trying to attract women hey ;) Lol!

tonyme
02-06-11, 15:04
Wow, so when people say I have a cute smile they're lying to me?

cezy rockeru
02-06-11, 15:05
It sucks.
And it's overrated.
Everything is.
I like my beats fast and my bass down low,ba-bass down low,ba-ba-bass down low,I like my beats fast and my bass down low.

Catapharact
02-06-11, 15:05
Is this why you never smile in your pics? Trying to attract women hey ;) Lol!

No that's just me. But it seems that the general idea that a smile is an attractive feature on a guy has just been quashed. Ergo, to hell with idea of smiling all together.

Rai
02-06-11, 15:13
I must be strange then as I prefer smiling men.

Dark Lugia 2
02-06-11, 15:15
1,084 students might not reflect what the whole world thinks? Plus every smile looks different, some look very attractive, masculine on men, feminine on women and some dont really look good at all I guess. :p There are definitely many, many men who look more attractive when they smile though.

Smiling isnt a bad thing, either!

Amiyo
02-06-11, 15:16
^ I agree on that! :)

All these kinds of studies just keep popping up, and then comes another one which states the opposite. :rolleyes:

I think a smiling man is easier to approach and attractive, but the people who did the study didn't ask me, so... :D

Catapharact
02-06-11, 15:18
All these kinds of studies just keep popping up, and then comes another one which states the opposite. :rolleyes:

I think a smiling man is easier to approach and attractive, but the people who did the study didn't ask me, so... :D

And that is one possible reason why women find it unattractive. It sort of triggers the idea that the guy is question is desperate, and needy.

Lemmie
02-06-11, 15:19
The study emphasised first impressions; if a guy kept on trying to look enigmatic and moody, I think anyone would get tired of them pretty quickly. I know I would.

scremanie
02-06-11, 15:21
I find it ironic that you made this thread.

Avalon SARL
02-06-11, 15:21
This has to be the craziest and worst study made

Smiling men are totally attractive (like me for sure :p)
Honestly it is for everybody
Smiling makes everyone look beautiful and prettier :ohn:

Minty Mouth
02-06-11, 15:22
Not a very broad sample to take conclusions from. Most of the people in the study were probably in their late teens and all living in one area. Maybe of a similar class. Doesn't stretch far.

Alive_and_Funky
02-06-11, 15:23
Is it just me, or does it seem as though women tend to find nice guys less sexy? (Not that I'm saying people who don't smile aren't nice.)

Lemmie
02-06-11, 15:24
Also; if a guy doesn't smile, how can you tell the state of his oral health?

Amiyo
02-06-11, 15:25
It sort of triggers the idea that the guy is question is desperate, and needy. Not for mee! :D

But do men think that "Oh, man! I'm desperate. What do I do to get a woman's attention..? Hey, I know! I'll smile!"
I'm not a dude, so I really don't know... And I think it's just a good thing to seem easy to approach. :)

Shark_Blade
02-06-11, 15:26
Screw the study.

Smiling makes me feel happy and that's what matters. And it made people around me happy.
:)

Ikas90
02-06-11, 15:26
Is it just me, or does it seem as though women tend to find nice guys less sexy? (Not that I'm saying people who don't smile aren't nice.)

I reckon it's because they somehow look 'more tough' when they don't smile.

Lara's home
02-06-11, 15:27
No that's just me. But it seems that the general idea that a smile is an attractive feature on a guy has just been quashed. Ergo, to hell with idea of smiling all together.

Mmmm, this research hardly shows any general idea. Statistics are evil and can rarely be trusted.

Liara
02-06-11, 15:33
Is it just me, or does it seem as though women tend to find nice guys less sexy?
Depends what women you ask. Based on all the ladies at uni and all my acquaintances, I'm inclined to believe that the majority prefers the nice guy. And it makes sense. If you've got a level head and think about your future, you'd want to be in a relationship with someone nice, not some dude who puts on that tiresome tough guy act. Those who are seeking the "bad boy" stereotype probably aren't looking for a longer term thing anyway, just a fling and that rush of being involved with someone "dangerous".

A sincere smile means that you're happy and that vibe shows who you're trying to impress the kind of person you are.

Catapharact
02-06-11, 15:39
I find it ironic that you made this thread.

Well then I have to say you aren't familiar with the concept of irony. Irony would imply that there is a discordance between two given actions performed by a person. It would be ironic if a guy who loves to smile posted this thread up ;).

NRO.
02-06-11, 15:44
I'm NRO and I dissaprove that study.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr50/Wknoe18/mark-and-derek-smile.jpg

Dennis's Mom
02-06-11, 15:45
Well, the issue is not whether men are more "attractive." Might as well do a survey saying whether women thought men who look like Brad Pitt or Paul Giamatti were more "attractive".

Brooding might get a little mystery thing going on in women's heads, but who wants to spend your life with a brooder?

Avalon SARL
02-06-11, 15:52
Smiling suits every body

When you see someone smile to you or someone else, you smile back :)

smiling makes everybody look pretty and charming, no matter how they look

Reggie
02-06-11, 15:53
And that is one possible reason why women find it unattractive. It sort of triggers the idea that the guy is question is desperate, and needy.
Wouldn't it be even more desperate if said guy made a conscious effort not to smile in order to not be perceived as desperate and needy? Some guys naturally smile more than others.

TRfan23
02-06-11, 15:58
I smile naturally, it's very awkward when in public and people just stare at you when you do it.

I keep having to try and think of horrible thoughts to put on a straight face, but then I look like I'm going to cry :/

scremanie
02-06-11, 16:08
Well then I have to say you aren't familiar with the concept of irony. Irony would imply that there is a discordance between two given actions performed by a person. It would be ironic if a guy who loves to smile posted this thread up ;).

The article states that smiling is a turn off.

You don't smile.

Catapharact
02-06-11, 16:09
The article states that smiling is a turn off.

You don't smile.

The study covers HETEROSEXUAL viewpoints ;).

scremanie
02-06-11, 16:10
You. Don't. Smile.

Catapharact
02-06-11, 16:12
You. Don't. Smile.

But you do. Ergo, the study makes a valid point no ;)?

Marianna12
02-06-11, 16:13

Same here

NRO.
02-06-11, 16:15
You. Don't. Smile.

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad279/Heishikaze/trollface.jpg

scremanie
02-06-11, 16:15
But you do. Ergo, the study makes a valid point no ;)?

No.

I get all the ladies.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/JAJAJAJA/Dancing_Troll.gif

Tony9595
02-06-11, 16:19
^ :D

Catapharact
02-06-11, 16:20
No.

I get all the ladies.

:vlol:...

Oh wait, you were being serious.

Anyway, ignoring the trolls and getting back on topic:

Wouldn't it be even more desperate if said guy made a conscious effort not to smile in order to not be perceived as desperate and needy? Some guys naturally smile more than others.

Well the idea of the study obviously reflects first impressions. Overtime, other factors do come into play like interests, hobbies, aspirations, etc.

Laras Backpack
02-06-11, 16:23
A smile isn't just a smile. I've seen men and women with really creepy, off puting smiles and others with grins that I could watch all day. I love a guy with a great smile. :D In fact, any man who can show a decent range of emotions is way more appealing to me than one who's stuck on 'brooding/constipated'. Then he just looks bored or slightly disgusted by me :(

Love2Raid
02-06-11, 16:29
I would find it a bit weird if a guy smiled all the time, a bit... suspicious I guess. Fake smiles are also a turn-off. You know, when someone smiles but their eyes are cold. I also do not like it when someone never smiles. I would think they're either severely depressed, just plain boring people or maybe afraid to show their ugly teeth? Whatever the reason is, it can't be positive (IMO).

SkyPuppy
02-06-11, 16:30
I'm NRO and I dissaprove that study.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr50/Wknoe18/mark-and-derek-smile.jpg

omg! i adore Grey's Anatomy and its steamy doctors. @_@

o_o but yeah... ;D i like when guys smile; it's a very attractive thing for them to, well, er, do. :p and if they have a lovely smile, plus nice eyes, then it's definitely a go for me.

xXhayleyroxXx
02-06-11, 16:36
Genuinely, I adore when guys smile. It makes me want to smile too. And that means I'm happy :D And if they're got really pretty eyes, I tend to notice them even more when they smile.

"I see sparks fly whenever you smile" :D <3

Phlip
02-06-11, 16:44
I find guys more attractive when they don't smile. XD But not so much in photos.

ryan91
02-06-11, 16:57
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/users/3/32080/49_2007/00000chace-crawford-gq-men-of-the-year-04.preview.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n3l1Her63rc/TabuQiwTRHI/AAAAAAAAAEA/4cdgIKATBHY/s1600/Chace+Crawford.jpg

http://www.nkfu.com/unluler/jessica-biel/jessica-biel-01.jpg
http://img1.loadtr.com/b-471746-Scarlett_Johansson_sinemalar%C4%B1.jpg

Avalon SARL
02-06-11, 17:01
Well I believe Cat. supports this,because I was viewing the pictures threads and he barely gave a smile in any of his images :p

Well, Cat. you're muslim right...
Smiling is sunnah my dear brother :)

Read this: The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: “Charity is prescribed for each descendant of Adam every day the sun rises.
Your smile for your brother is charity.”

“Do not abuse anyone…Do not look down upon any good work, and when you speak to your brother, show him a cheerful face.”

Yeah smiling is awesome

Genuinely, I adore when guys smile. It makes me want to smile too. And that means I'm happy :D And if they're got really pretty eyes, I tend to notice them even more when they smile.

"I see sparks fly whenever you smile" :D <3

Facts about smiling:

1. Smiling Makes us Attractive

2. Smiling Changes our Mood

3. Smiling is contagious

4. Smiling Relieves Stress

5. Smiling Boosts Your Immune System.

sandygrimm
02-06-11, 17:07
I disagree! I like men who smile :)

Catapharact
02-06-11, 17:09

Read this:

So it is said, but I find that charitable action that ACTUALLY helps a person out rather then putting up some gag worthy cheerful act works way better. I respect our Prophet but I like to use more direct methods of being good rather then smiling.

Love2Raid
02-06-11, 17:25
Well I believe Cat. supports this,because I was viewing the pictures threads and he barely gave a smile in any of his images :p

Read this:

Yeah smiling is awesome

Facts about smiling:
I think it was shown in some other study that 'fake' smiling can actually worsen your mood. :p
So when you really mean it, it is good. But when you don't, it's bad for your own mood but also for others (since most people can easily tell whether it's real or not anyway). Just be genuine, and people will like you.

Lara's home
02-06-11, 17:30
So it is said, but I find that charitable action that ACTUALLY helps a person out rather then putting up some gag worthy cheerful act works way better. I respect our Prophet but I like to use more direct methods of being good rather then smiling.

Smiling requires less, though.
I prefer smiling.

Avalon SARL
02-06-11, 17:30
^ ^we are speaking of a normal thing about smiling for real.
We aren't going into details or analyzing certain details and issues :p

Smiling is.. well, good

And asthe Prophet meant it, not to be some work of charity, but rather it is meant as an encouragement to SMILE :)

Reggie
02-06-11, 19:31
:vlol:...

Oh wait, you were being serious.

Anyway, ignoring the trolls and getting back on topic:

Well the idea of the study obviously reflects first impressions. Overtime, other factors do come into play like interests, hobbies, aspirations, etc.
Indeed. There's also the fact that the study results don't necessarily suggest that smiling is unattractive but merely ranked below other (non smiling) expressions for the majority of women asked. That means there were still women who still preferred a smile. Taking those other beyond-first-impression factors into account and you get a rather more complicated picture of 'what women want' (to steal the title of that Mel Gibson movie!). :D

My theory on why non-smilers may seem more appealing is that women see it as a sign that the men concerned aren't putting on a 'nice guy' act. Admittedly I posed the opposite idea of a 'bad guy' act - but let's face it, that's less common generally. For women - and hey, I'm no expert being single myself, I've found that their main issue is trust and if its perceived your smile and general demeanour isn't genuine, they'll tend to write you off as a player or even creepy. ...I know way too much from having so many female friends. XD

One thing I would recommend is not laughing at your own jokes. That's just bad form...(and yes, that's from experience :/).

Danni
02-06-11, 19:36

Your not alone Rai! I love a gentlemen with a crackin' smile! :D Much more attractive than looking moody! Then again, I suppose I have a rarther mutual moody-ish looking face which makes me seem unhappy when i'm not.. :pi:

Apathetic
02-06-11, 20:04
What a dumb study.

CerebralAssassin
02-06-11, 20:08
let's make a poll of this...

Nerd For Life
02-06-11, 20:08
What a dumb study.

I actually agree, lol.

larafan25
02-06-11, 20:53
I prefer men naked.

Smiles are nice though, this article plays out in your favor Catapharact.:whi:

moodydog
02-06-11, 20:56
Your not alone Rai! I love a gentlemen with a crackin' smile! :D Much more attractive than looking moody! Then again, I suppose I have a rarther mutual moody-ish looking face which makes me seem unhappy when i'm not.. :pi:

Heard my name and had to smile

Danni
02-06-11, 21:15
I prefer men naked.

Smiles are nice though, this article plays out in your favor Catapharact.:whi:

:vlol: agreed. :whi: :mis:

Simochka
02-06-11, 21:24
I'm gay but I have to say that I prefer men who are NOT smiling and most of my friends thinks the same

Apathetic
02-06-11, 21:30
I'm gay but I have to say that I prefer men who are NOT smiling and most of my friends thinks the same

How do you even know that? Lmao.

Simochka
02-06-11, 21:33
How do you even know that? Lmao.

Cause they are my friends and I know what they like. Atleast my closest friends :p

We are very open to each other (:

jackles
02-06-11, 21:35
If a man doesn't smile readily then he is not for me.

:D

Apathetic
02-06-11, 21:36
Cause they are my friends and I know what they like. Atleast my closest friends :p

We are very open to each other (:

How does the fact that you like or dislike when males smile even come up on conversation? :p

Simochka
02-06-11, 21:42
How does the fact that you like or dislike when males smile even come up on conversation? :p

Alcohol :p

Most of my girlfriends prefer mysterious men. Maybe a kind of smirk but not smile.

And once me and 2 friends watched mtv and muse came up and the singer had horrible teeth. So we started talking about men and smiling :p

Love2Raid
02-06-11, 21:44
My theory on why non-smilers may seem more appealing is that women see it as a sign that the men concerned aren't putting on a 'nice guy' act. Admittedly I posed the opposite idea of a 'bad guy' act - but let's face it, that's less common generally. For women - and hey, I'm no expert being single myself, I've found that their main issue is trust and if its perceived your smile and general demeanour isn't genuine, they'll tend to write you off as a player or even creepy. ...I know way too much from having so many female friends. XD

One thing I would recommend is not laughing at your own jokes. That's just bad form...(and yes, that's from experience :/).
Yes, you get it. :tmb:

That's what I meant with 'suspicious'. :p

Nausinous
02-06-11, 22:14
Prefer my men smiling and not like they need to swallow a quarter ton of prozac :p

Chocola teapot
02-06-11, 22:24
I remember this Mountain Climbing guy on a magazine cover, his smile was gorgeous. D:

b.gluch
02-06-11, 23:02
Wow, so when people say I have a cute smile they're lying to me?

:O No!

miss.haggard
02-06-11, 23:13

I know right? I much prefer a guy that looks like hes having a good time over one that looks like hes got a stick stuck up his ass.

Encore
02-06-11, 23:16
There are almost infinite nuances to body language and human facial expressions.

There are numerous ways to smile, some are more attractive than the others.

I find it quite silly to reduce the complexities of human communication like this.

Rai
02-06-11, 23:25
^Yeah, well there's happy friendly smiley, then there's grinning like an idiot the whole time and shift eyes smiley or come to bed smile or...you get the picture :p. Smiling right through to the eyes is a give away to genuine.

There is such a thing as trying too hard to be all moody and mysterious too. Or downright misery guts.

Encore
02-06-11, 23:38
^Yeah, well there's happy friendly smiley, then there's grinning like an idiot the whole time and shift eyes smiley or come to bed smile or...you get the picture :p. Smiling right through to the eyes is a give away to genuine.

There is such a thing as trying too hard to be all moody and mysterious too. Or downright misery guts.

I think the genuine, simple smile is almost always quite beautiful. The "seducing" smiles and the likes, meh... not as much.

I always thought that the football player Kaká has one of the most beautiful smiles ever.
http://i56.************/67t6h1.jpg

Rai
02-06-11, 23:41
That really is a nice smile.

!Lara Croft!
03-06-11, 00:09
It depends on how the guy is smiling...

miss.haggard
03-06-11, 00:17
It depends on how the guy is smiling...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t91/Broodstar13372/1204048061788.png

Sexah.

Autolycus
03-06-11, 08:49
To be honest I'd have to agree with the study. Can't beat a really nice smile ;)

scremanie
03-06-11, 08:53
To be honest I'd have to agree with the study. Can't beat a really nice smile ;)

Did you even read the article?

Jack Croft
03-06-11, 08:56

/facepalm

Autolycus
03-06-11, 09:05
^
Was refering to this quote.

In contrast, men find women more attractive when they smile, and least attractive when they look proud and confident, the study of 1,084 heterosexual university students shows

Tombraiderx08
03-06-11, 21:52
Eh, if you ask me, it all depends on who you're trying to attract. Besides, ditching a sign of happiness just for the sake of being attractive? Laaaame. I like my dumb smile yo :p

maximum_123
03-06-11, 23:51
I love to smile. FOREVER ALONE!

TRLegendLuver
04-06-11, 04:27
That study is crap. That's the first thing I notice on a guy; his smile. If its good or not. I can't stand it when a guy doesn't smile. Just makes him look like an arrogant asshole, whose too good to smile, or some such dribble. I guess they chose people from Anartica to study (if there's anyone even there).

So stupid. :vlol:

QiX
04-06-11, 04:37
Showing one thousand pictures of guys to one thousand girls doesn't prove anything. You'll just have a lot of statistics to tabulate and hopefully be able to say one stupid thing about the average women. I can say for sure that all the women that ever attracted my interests were anything but average ;)

Saman
04-06-11, 10:03
I dont smile much ! Be in calm with girls, hehe ...

Also hate girls who had biggest smile and who is without any I meant any reason smiling, its annoying ! It doesnt make scence seen smile in commercial pictures for me, such a classic thing !

But what is lovable is simple and perfect, cute, pretty and emotional .

Eros5th
04-06-11, 21:44
I think a smiling guy would attract a woman who wants a relationship not just a masculine guy to screw around with ;)

Alex Shepherd
04-06-11, 23:20
Smiling men less attractive to women: study.

Source: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/smiling-men-less-attractive-women-study-212823271.html

Women find men less attractive when they smile compared to when they take on swaggering or brooding poses, a Canadian study has found.
In contrast, men find women more attractive when they smile, and least attractive when they look proud and confident, the study of 1,084 heterosexual university students shows.

"Generally, the results appear to reflect some very traditional gender norms and cultural values that have emerged, developed and been reinforced through history, at least in Western cultures," Jessica Tracy, a sociologist at Vancouver's University of British Columbia, said in a statement Tuesday.

Now I found out why your avatar is not attractive :p

Eros5th
04-06-11, 23:40
Well if smiling is for suckers I think men should look at women with a face like they're going to kill them. I think that would turn them on.

IceColdLaraCroft
05-06-11, 00:33
The study was done in Canada enough said

Encore
05-06-11, 00:41
Showing one thousand pictures of guys to one thousand girls doesn't prove anything. You'll just have a lot of statistics to tabulate and hopefully be able to say one stupid thing about the average women. I can say for sure that all the women that ever attracted my interests were anything but average ;)

Not just that - but photographs are very different from real life presence. And a smile even more so. I've never seen a photo that captures a smile exactly as it is in real life.

Capt. Murphy
05-06-11, 00:42
I was going to say if Smiling was for suckers then frownings for..... :vlol:

I'd suppose if a guy smiles it makes him look weak willed or silly. I don't know. And I've been told (asked) a lot of times, by girls/females around my age; "Do you ever smile?"

Another thing I've been told a bunch.. by women is "You sure are quite."

I can't help it if I'm socially awkward. :(

Now. If that made you feel sorry for me go ahead and flirt with me to make me feel better. :mis:

IceColdLaraCroft
05-06-11, 01:33
Isn't there something about women being more interested in guys that ignore them than ones that chase after them?

Melonie Tomb Raider
05-06-11, 03:10
I find men far more attractive when they smile than when they don't. I like a guy who is happy and can make me laugh. Two must-have traits. :)

Eros5th
05-06-11, 03:30
I find men far more attractive when they smile than when they don't. I like a guy who is happy and can make me laugh. Two must-have traits. :)

Yea so true. Some girls may go for the strong mysterious type but I think you cant go wrong with the fun and funny type.

AmericanAssassin
05-06-11, 05:23
People are lame. To find smiling less attractive? Really? :rolleyes:

Encore
05-06-11, 12:29
Isn't there something about women being more interested in guys that ignore them than ones that chase after them?

I heard that cliche numerous times, but for someone who rarely gets any attention from men, I find it quite dumb. I wish they would STOP ignoring me. :p

Eros5th
06-06-11, 04:02
I heard that cliche numerous times, but for someone who rarely gets any attention from men, I find it quite dumb. I wish they would STOP ignoring me. :p

They may just be afraid of you :o

Paddy
06-06-11, 05:13
I rarely ever smile whether it be photos or in general, tbh I could not care less if someone assumed I was in a somewhat ****ty mood just on the ignorant basis of not smiling. I rarely do anyway.
I hate people who assume my mood on the basis of lack of facial expression lol

Miharu
06-06-11, 15:57
Smiling is a way of saying your happy. Happiness is attractive in my book. :D

Raziel66
06-06-11, 18:01
Oh my... that means I will forever stay alone :p I smile almost non-stop.