PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

TR FAN 18
02-06-11, 16:39
p92QfWOw88I

Interesting. Please don't rush it out like Vista.

scoopy_loopy
02-06-11, 16:47
da hell mah taskbar at? D:

NRO.
02-06-11, 16:48
Whyyyyyyyy D:

lara c. fan
02-06-11, 16:49
I think they need to have a version of the Windows 7 (Or similar) UI. It looks like they've just taken Windows Phone 7 and made it bigger, which is something that doesn't really interest me in the slightest.

EDIT: Well, at least at the start...
EDIT 2: Meh. I'll see how things go. As it works out currently, I really don't like the start bit. It seems they're gunning too much for a tablet OS with that, and Windows should never really be primarily a tablet OS, at least not in current days.

The Great Chi
02-06-11, 16:56
I'm still on win XP and waiting for something thats better than it :p

jajay119
02-06-11, 17:00

This. Vista and 7 gave the illusion of being better without actually being so. Just adds more validity to the saying 'age before beauty'.

Lee1711
02-06-11, 17:08
I think they're trying too hard to make it seem simple. From what I've seen, I'm not too sure :/

sandygrimm
02-06-11, 17:09
ditto on that. Windows 7 seems to be ok, but still not as good ;)

Dark Lugia 2
02-06-11, 17:40
It looks like a redesigned Windows Media Center but with apps. And it hides away your actual desktop in an attempt to make the whole OS look nicer...

I could get used to it, but th whole OS looks like it would be better for mobile devices...

I'll feel stupid if this is actually made for mobile vices and I didnt know xD

lara c. fan
02-06-11, 19:20
It looks like a redesigned Windows Media Center but with apps. And it hides away your actual desktop in an attempt to make the whole OS look nicer...

I could get used to it, but th whole OS looks like it would be better for mobile devices...

I'll feel stupid if this is actually made for mobile vices and I didnt know xD

The "Start" thing is basically Windows Phone 7 enlarged. :p

Drone
02-06-11, 19:26
MS definitely want to win tablet market and kick apple and android tablets.

SoupCard
02-06-11, 19:27
I think they're trying too hard to make it seem simple. From what I've seen, I'm not too sure :/

Pretty much. Which annoys me, because I like having my Macbook Pro as the more simple, artsy fartsy computer, and my PC as the more complex machine to upgrade/mod/game. I don't think I would ever get this.

igonge
02-06-11, 19:28
That's going on desktop computers?
https://lionhead.com/emoticons/puke3.gif

lara c. fan
02-06-11, 19:31
At least it seems to have a more traditional UI as well. (Look at 3:19)

tomblover
02-06-11, 19:35
Reminds me of that Rainmeter skin.

TheCoolJazz
02-06-11, 19:36
Look's OK, but i still think Windows 7 is the best thing that a PC can have installed on it :)

At least it seems to have a more traditional UI as well. (Look at 3:19)

I'm guessing that's some sort of a backwards compatibility but in a more traditional look and simplicity.

lara c. fan
02-06-11, 19:38
I'm guessing that's some sort of a backwards compatibility but in a more traditional look and simplicity.

I have no idea... I just really hope that that UI features more than the WP7-like one.

StefanJ94
02-06-11, 19:41
Look's OK, but i still think Windows 7 is the best thing that a PC can have installed on it :)
Agreed! :D

TheCoolJazz
02-06-11, 19:42
I have no idea... I just really hope that that UI features more than the WP7-like one.

I agree the WP7-like one looks... uncomfortable :s

Nerd For Life
02-06-11, 19:42
Hate it.

star-dust
02-06-11, 19:46
Agreed! :D

I love Windows 7.
This just looks meh... As soon as they release something they get to work on something else. What's wrong with what they have now? :p

lara c. fan
02-06-11, 19:47
I love Windows 7.
This just looks meh... As soon as they release something they get to work on something else. What's wrong with what they have now? :p

They're a business, they have to make money. :p

star-dust
02-06-11, 19:48
They're a business, they have to make money. :p

I know, I was just saying.:)

Catracoth
02-06-11, 19:53
I still have Vista and most likely won't be upgrading any time soon.
I'll either get a new Windows PC after I get a Macbook, or just settle.

TheCoolJazz
02-06-11, 19:55
I still have Vista and most likely won't be upgrading any time soon.
I'll either get a new Windows PC after I get a Macbook, or just settle.

I also wanna get a macbook but I'm not sure if to go Pro or Air?

Legend of Lara
02-06-11, 19:57
Do not want.

TheCoolJazz
02-06-11, 19:59
Do not want.

Not sure if want.

Johnnay
02-06-11, 20:18
MS definitely want to win tablet market and kick apple and android tablets.

And it won't, that's for sure:).

Zelda master
02-06-11, 20:31
I agree the WP7-like one looks... uncomfortable :s

It works suprisingly well actually if I have to be honest, I also thought it would be weird but it works very well actually:)

:}hello friend
02-06-11, 20:54
I JUST got Windows 7.

Cochrane
02-06-11, 20:59
This looks amazing! Several nice innovations, a beautiful layout and user interface, all without copying exactly what the competition does. I hope it does well, if only to keep Apple on their toes.

I don't expect it will do well, though. Windows is more or less the definition of compatibility. Most people who buy another Windows computer want to use the same programs they always used the same way they always did, especially in the business area. Those guys will either not upgrade to Windows 8 at all, or use only the classic UI. And that means software developers will be very reluctant to work with the new UI, and instead release stuff that works like the old stuff always did.

I hope I'm wrong and that Microsoft can still innovate with Windows, but I am not entirely sure of it.

I love Windows 7.
What they have now works only on computers that look exactly like the computers we know. It is not suitable for touch-based interfaces, which will only become more prominent, and it has been ages since the last time it made using a computer any easier.

GeekOfComedy
02-06-11, 21:04
That is sweet. Only problem is am I the only one who thinks this looks more like Windows Tablet edition as it would be unbearable scrolling side ways through that on a computer mouse..

...I'm sticking with OS X thanks.

What I like about Windows 8 and they have an advantage here is to take the chrome OS approach so any Windows 8 computer you sign on to your widgets and files are there if you get me.

laralives
02-06-11, 23:04
The "Start" thing is basically Windows Phone 7 enlarged. :p

That's what I thought when I first saw it... it look stupid.. I love XP why replace something when it hasn't broke! >.<

patriots88888
02-06-11, 23:21
I wasn't overly impressed with anything that was shown in that video.

What they have now works only on computers that look exactly like the computers we know. It is not suitable for touch-based interfaces, which will only become more prominent, and it has been ages since the last time it made using a computer any easier.

Yea, because as we all know, moving/clicking a mouse is such a difficult thing to do. And typing on a standard keyboard... don't even get me started on that. -_-

trlestew
02-06-11, 23:43
I thought the normal setup used since Windows 98 was simple. :confused:

I think this is neat, but also a nuisance at the same time. Too much flare for me at this stage.

!Lara Croft!
03-06-11, 00:16
Wait....you mean this is for desktops?

Its too bloody...IPhone-y. The reason i bought a computer rather than an iphone was because i wanted a computer interface. (the style from the old windows 95 to Vista)

This is much more beautiful, simple and easy to understand.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Lara4123/NewBitmapImage-34.jpg

Scurvy
03-06-11, 00:19
Windows is doomed -___-

sephiroth99
03-06-11, 00:25
There's still the Aero interface (Win7) in Windows 8 you know... ;) see : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I&t=3m4s

Looks awesome I must say. This will rock on tablets! Looks like my first tablet will be on Win8 :D

Cochrane
03-06-11, 00:34
Wait....you mean this is for desktops?

Its too bloody...IPhone-y. The reason i bought a computer rather than an iphone was because i wanted a computer interface. (the style from the old windows 95 to Vista)

This is much more beautiful, simple and easy to understand.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Lara4123/NewBitmapImage-34.jpg
(emphasis added)

Is it really? It seems so because we're all so used to it, but when it comes down to it, there are many things that are a bit insane. Just looking at your screenshot: How exactly do I turn the computer off, edit or find a document, see my wifi strength, read emails, check the weather or catch up on international news?

Yes, all those things are possible, and I'm sure you'll say they are simple and easy. Can they be done better, though? I am 100% sure that yes, one can do this better. I have no idea whether this completely new interface will do those things any better, but I think it is very brave of Microsoft to give it a try. Whether customers accept it is a different question altogether.

@ patriots88888: The same applies more or less to your post. Of course using standard Windows or Mac OS X* with a mouse and keyboard is easy, now that we've all learned how to. But those systems are obviously not the pinnacle of UI design yet, and any new attempt to shake things up is worth at least a look. In the long run, Windows 8 will probably not be the biggest revelation simply because Microsoft's customers won't accept that huge change, at least not right away, but I think one should give them credit for trying.

*) Linux is omitted from that list for a reason.

patriots88888
03-06-11, 00:36
These touch screen interfaces look as though they would require the same (if not more) energy to use them, with all the reaching and 'pulling' that is required. Maybe on a lappy it would be more practical and easier to use, but on a desktop like I'm using, no way. Don't feel like reaching like that when I can sit with mouse in hand at a comfortable (on the eyes) distance away from the screen.

What I would really like to see is a mouse/keyboard all-in-one. Nothing fancy, just a basic (A-Z, 0-9, caps lock) touch keyboard on the lower portion of the mouse. Now THAT is something that would make my PC time easier.

!Lara Croft!
03-06-11, 00:46
Is it really? It seems so because we're all so used to it, but when it comes down to it, there are many things that are a bit insane. Just looking at your screenshot: How exactly do I turn the computer off, edit or find a document, see my wifi strength, read emails, check the weather or catch up on international news?

The first two things can be found by pressing the windows Icon to bring up the start menu, the third is down the bottom right corner and the last ones are in the internet accessable through the firefox symbol.

MattTR
03-06-11, 00:57
It looks like a Windows phone.. no thanks.

TRexbait
03-06-11, 01:12
It looks like it's focused on tablet interface... I don't like it for desktop or laptop. It looks amazing for tablets though... if I ever decided to buy one. :)

Cochrane
03-06-11, 08:27
The first two things can be found by pressing the windows Icon to bring up the start menu, the third is down the bottom right corner and the last ones are in the internet accessable through the firefox symbol.

…that wasn't really my point. I know this already. My point is: Is that always the best possible way to do things? Why, for example, do I have to press "Start" to turn off a computer? We've all gotten used to it, but if you think about it, it is just a tiny bit weird. And there are lots of similar cases all over Windows.

Jack Croft
03-06-11, 08:59
This is much more for touchscreen users what about normal computer users, Windows 7 is a solid platform.