PDA

View Full Version : Chinese teen reportedly sells kidney to buy Apple iPad 2

Sgt BOMBULOUS
03-06-11, 20:26
Chinese teen reportedly sells kidney to buy Apple iPad 2

A teenager in China reportedly sold one of his kidneys so he could buy an Apple iPad 2, according to reports from Chinese media.

Identified as simply Zheng, the 17-year-old took to the Internet to find a way to raise money so he could buy himself an iPad 2, according to Shanghai Daily.

"I wanted to buy an iPad 2 but could not afford it," Zheng told the Daily. "A broker contacted me on the Internet and said he could help me sell one kidney for 20,000 yuan."

So, on April 28, the high-schooler left his home in the Anhui province to have his kidney removed in the Hunan province of China, according to reports from both Shanghai Daily and the Global Times newspaper.

Zheng got his 20,000 yuan, which is equal to about $3,100, and returned home with a laptop and an iPad 2, according to a report from the BBC.

When Zheng's mother noticed the computers and a "deep red scar on his body, which was caused by the surgery," the teen confessed to selling his kidney.

NBC got video footage of what it says is the boy's kidney-removal scar and aired it on the Today show.

After learning what Zheng did, his mother went straight to the police, who so far have been unable to track down the organ broker, the reports said.

However, police have learned that the hospital where Zheng had his kidney taken out "was not qualified to perform organ transplants," the Shanghai Daily report said. "The hospital claimed they had no idea about Zheng's surgery because the department that did the surgery had been contracted to a Fujian businessman."

:vlol: What's he gonna do when the iPad 3 comes out?

REF (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/06/chinese-teen-reportedly-sells-his-kidney-to-buy-an-apple-ipad-2.html)

Apathetic
03-06-11, 20:28
That's ****ed up.

xXhayleyroxXx
Stupidest kid ever 0_0

NRO.
Moral of the story:

Apple's products are too flippin expensive.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
03-06-11, 20:31
He'll learn the graveness of his decision when he's 40 and has to wake up 6 times per night to pee.

trfanX34
03-06-11, 20:35
He'll learn the graveness of his decision when he's 40 and has to wake up 6 times per night to pee.

But he'll have an iPad 2! :D
lol

NRO.
03-06-11, 20:40
But he'll have an iPad 2! :D
lol

You can really write your own joke here. :P

sheepman23
03-06-11, 21:05
Moral of the story:

:vlol:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
03-06-11, 21:16
Moral of the story:

That isn't it. I believe my avatar explains it perfectly.

moodydog
03-06-11, 21:30
OOh god I hope they find him another kidney :( Or at least find his old one.

You don't need two kidneys, but he should have gone on the organ doner list if he was that desperate... idiot.

Mad Tony
03-06-11, 21:43
OOh god I hope they find him another kidney :( Or at least find his old one.

You don't need two kidneys, but he should have gone on the organ doner list if he was that desperate... idiot.I hope they don't get him another kidney. Seriously, how dumb can you (by you I mean him) get? It's not like he sold his kidney to help his family or something, he sold it all for an iPad.

Tombraiderx08
03-06-11, 21:50
I read that as "Charlie Sheen" Oh, dyslexia...
Anyways, that's probably the weirdest damn thing I ever heard.

Bongo Fury
03-06-11, 21:59
Well, you gotta at least give him credit for not stealing handbags from old ladies to raise coin.

The Great Chi
03-06-11, 22:22
It was only until recenty that you could get body parts off a Chinese Criminal to order, as allowed by the Chinese goverment.

As the criminal was already on the death penalty, a 'foriegn national' could come in to China, pay money and the unlucky criminal who had the same blood type would be pushed up the death list, and given the chop to get the needed parts fresh to go, and with quick replacement surgery done in China, sorted.

Human rights has quite rightly stopped that official trade of body parts in China to 'foriegn nationals', but the 'home trade' is still on going.

Unofficial body part removal goes on in other countries for cash, especially in some 3rd world countries, it is a really nasty and dangerous business.

You have to watch out you are not mugged there and wake up minus a kidney or two* :eek:

* If its two, then you will wake up dead :p

!Lara Croft!
03-06-11, 23:42
/\ But if you're dead, you wont wake up at all.:p

Anyway, the kid sold his kidney. End of. There is no 'undo' button on life.

Ikas90
04-06-11, 00:35

I already need to do that, with two kidneys. :p

Encore
04-06-11, 01:02

Maybe 40 years from now there'll be a Dialysis App. :p

TRLegendLuver
04-06-11, 02:25
As people always say, "Only in America" I can laugh and say, "Only in China". But I'm not a snobby asshole and actually mean it. :p

That's really not only pathetic but sad. I mean, your kidney? He better hope to God that his other one doesn't give out, or he'll be selling his iPad 2 to replace his only kidney.

TRNation
04-06-11, 02:52
Wow, that kid is desperate as ****.

Shark_Blade
04-06-11, 04:13
Beyond dumb.

michaeldt
04-06-11, 04:19
good on him, he got something that he wanted whilst helping another person live! :)

domino92
04-06-11, 04:21
20 years from now the kid's gonna have a PS12 and an iThought3 and have every organ scooped out of his chest cavity and replaced with rusty metal replacements.

Wait until he sells his other kidney, and doesn't realize you need two to live.

TRLegendLuver
04-06-11, 04:25
Wait until he sells his other kidney, and doesn't realize you need two to live.

You can live with one kidney. It's better if you have two, but you can survive with one. ;)

michaeldt
04-06-11, 04:51
you only actually need one kidney, you only have two in case there is an organ failure ;)

KyleCroft
04-06-11, 05:05
Well, I one-upped him. I sold 1.5 meters of my large intestine to get a Playbook. Your fifteen minutes of fame are over, sucker.

Candee Sparks
04-06-11, 05:06
Moral of the story:

Mhm. Just bought a new MacBook Pro and an iPhone 4 (on the way) and it feels like I just sold one of my kidneys. :o

I just feel bad for the kid. He wanted an iPad so bad that he actually resorted to selling his own body parts. Yeah, he can live and function with just kidney but still, its just wrong. Though its really none of my business so I can't tell anyone its not the right thing to do.

Atlantisfreak666
04-06-11, 05:25
I would've done the same thing.

Well, I one-upped him. I sold 1.5 meters of my large intestine to get a Playbook. Your fifteen minutes of fame are over, sucker.

Drone
04-06-11, 05:49
Poor kid. iPad3 will be released soon. He could have waited just a little bit!

sandygrimm
04-06-11, 06:53
Holy ****zu! :p are people that desperate to buy them craps? :vlol: I'm sorry but it sad yet funny!

yourtea
04-06-11, 09:44
Consumerism at its peak. That's absolutely vile.

Capt. Murphy
05-06-11, 00:47

Need to pee? There's an app for that.

Tony9595
05-06-11, 00:49
:vlol: What's he gonna do when the iPad 3 comes out?

Don't we have 2 kidneys? :confused:

Rai
05-06-11, 01:24
I actually feel a bit sorry for him. What if it had been a con and he didn't get his money? he really was desperate for that Ipad. I just hope his one remaining kidney doesn't fail on him.

IceColdLaraCroft
05-06-11, 01:31
Don't we have 2 kidneys? :confused:

yes and you can survive with one.

NRO.
05-06-11, 09:54
You can live perfectly fine with one kidney. My cousin was born with one and he's fine.

spyrostr
05-06-11, 11:19
You can live perfectly fine with one kidney. My cousin was born with one and he's fine.

lol u r joking right? :confused:

Ikas90
05-06-11, 11:24
lol u r joking right? :confused:

First I've heard of it too, but apparently it's possible to be born with one kidney:

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/solitarykidney/

TRULuverzz
05-06-11, 12:03
I've heard about this outside TRF, nobody should have to sell their own organs to make money, maybe his mum couldn't afford anything he wanted, or he wanted to stop asking her for money :confused:
but still, I wouldn't recommend it. I feel for that dude :(

!Lara Croft!
06-06-11, 00:22
First I've heard of it too, but apparently it's possible to be born with one kidney:

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/solitarykidney/

Just like its possible to be born with your heart pointing right rather than left. Very very rare ofcourse...but possible.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
06-06-11, 01:12
Need to pee? There's an app for that.

:tmb: :vlol:

Oh yeah? Well I was born with ten... That's how I manage to drink so much beer.

star-dust
06-06-11, 02:07
Just like its possible to be born with your heart pointing right rather than left. Very very rare ofcourse...but possible.

It's also possible, but rare, to have your heart on the right side. :)

SLAYER
06-06-11, 08:45
an iPad 2??? totally worth it. not.

would like to be there if he get water spilt over it.

TR FAN 18
06-06-11, 09:03
I read about this the other day. All I could say to that was "WTF?"

PlayerofGames
06-06-11, 22:01
:tmb: :vlol:

Oh yeah? Well I was born with ten... That's how I manage to drink so much beer.

:mad: he isnīt lying you know

!Lara Croft!
06-06-11, 23:52
It's also possible, but rare, to have your heart on the right side. :)

Thats exactly what i was saying.

But no ones heart is actually on the left or right. Its in the middle, but because of its odd shape it usually points left and thats why most people think that its on the left side. It isnt, its in the middle and points left.

amaris
07-06-11, 00:09
Stupidest kid ever 0_0

This. :vlol::vlol: