PDA

View Full Version : Men Taking Care Of Their Appearance... Your Thoughts?

TRULuverzz
06-06-11, 00:05
So I've been self conscious about my looks lately since last September when I started going to college. I noticed guys in college with well defined eyebrows and a nice fresh appearance and it singled me out in a sense because I've had bushy eyebrows and a not so perfect look. But my mother always brought up how a REAL MAN never plucks or shapes a brow or shaves his chest etc. But as I looked into my own image i realised i had to do something about it, which was why I've been single for 3 years. So i had to convince mum to shape up my brows and have made more adjustments to my appearance like, cutting my hair in my own way, which is usually against mums will and all.

Anyway referring to the title, what are your opinions on a guy shaping up his brows or grooming himself and using beauty products, do you think it's unacceptable, do you think it's okay, or do you think that they should only do it moderately and not overdo it? Let me know :)

Wana b like Lara
06-06-11, 00:06
Guys who shape their eyebrows is a no no for me.

I like men who look after themselves not at themselves.

DgoOdz94
06-06-11, 00:07
I don't care really... :p

People in general want to look good. Let them be.

Legend of Lara
06-06-11, 00:11
I'd draw the line at makeup.

And nail polish. Dudes with nail polish is disgusting.

xXhayleyroxXx
06-06-11, 00:13
I think it's okay. I don't really have an opinion on it :p

Encore
06-06-11, 00:16
There's nothing wrong with men taking care of their appearance in some ways, but things like shaped eyebrows, waxing their whole bodies, using makeup, that stuff... it's not attractive at all, at least not for me.

I'm actually pretty old school in that regard, I still find a hairy chest super sexy. :cln:

!Lara Croft!
06-06-11, 00:21
Other than keeping a two or three strands of hair that grow in the wrong direction at the edge of my left eyebrow under control, i dont really do anything with myself.

KIKO
06-06-11, 00:26
I say, do whatever you want to yourself to make you feel happy, **** all the rest

SkyPuppy
06-06-11, 00:31
i don't really like facial hair or body hair, so...

Rai
06-06-11, 00:33
Well of course a man should take care of their appearance, presentable at least. Shaving chest/leg hair and shaping eyebrows is a bit too far. There's nothing wrong with a man who uses moisturizer either. Not too sure about make-up. I feel a bit odd around men in make-up, unless it's for the stage. I dunno why. Never really thought about it much. A nicely groomed man is more attractive than a scruff (though a bit of stubble is quite sexy). But a person, man or woman should do what makes them feel comfortable.

larafan25
06-06-11, 00:33
I have a big problem with makeup.

People shouldn't feel they need to hide themselves or that their appearence is not good enough.

Anyways, about men...

IDC about much really.

If you wax your eyebrows IDC. If you shape your eye brows IDC. If you get pedicures IDC. If you brush your hair IDC. If you wear nail polish IDC.

However I like to see faces without makeup. Makeup is so unnecessary.

SoupCard
06-06-11, 00:37
I look after my hair, that's about it.

scremanie
06-06-11, 00:39
You're totes fine!

*applies makeup and puts on heels*

TRULuverzz
06-06-11, 00:39
we can all obviously disagree with guys wearing make up and nail polish, but tidying up eyebrows isn't really a problem to me, unless a guy has perfect shaped eyebrows yet they want to make it thinner and have like an ultra curve to it, just makes him look too girly. moisturizers and skin care products however is what a guy needs in my opinion :D

KIKO
06-06-11, 00:55
I don't see anything wrong with fixing eyebrows. Does anyone like unibrows? I find them very unattractive

Simochka
06-06-11, 00:56
I would never want a shabby guy who won't take care of himself.

And he should wear foundation and powder to cover scars and other stuffs :)
(that's pretty normal in Sweden)

Apathetic
06-06-11, 00:58
I think if someone doesn't like you for who you are, then that's their problem, not yours.

TRhalloween
06-06-11, 01:06
I've always loved your eyebrows, Taz. :D

It's not worth changing your appearance to get someone to like you. I do a little to my eyebrows, like plucking the middle but that's how I like to look.
I personally hate when guys go all out on plucking their eyebrows where it gets to the point where they look too meticulous and feminine but I wouldn't get someone to change the way they look. I'm totally against body policing.

It's best to forget about the whole "real man", "acceptable body image" etc. bull and do what you want. :)

TRULuverzz
06-06-11, 01:11
I don't see anything wrong with fixing eyebrows. Does anyone like unibrows? I find them very unattractive

guess were both looking on the same page.
@TRhalloween: why thanks, but this isn't about changing my image for others, it's usually for myself, when i feel insecure with something, i usually sort it out lol

PandaINC
06-06-11, 01:16
guess were both looking on the same page.
@TRhalloween: why thanks, but this isn't about changing my image for others, it's usually for myself, when i feel insecure with something, i usually sort it out lol
Well then whats the problem? :p Do you what makes you feel comfortable and good.

TRULuverzz
06-06-11, 01:23
And I'm doing just that, I just wanted a more broad opinion on it, pretty interesting to read :D

michaeldt
06-06-11, 01:51
I really don't care if people want to make themselves look good or not :)

trlestew
06-06-11, 01:57
I'm speaking for myself here.

You can't walk out somewhere looking a mess, but you don't need to be looking "fresh" or special. Just properly groom yourself. With teens, its pimples and bumps which we should care for. Other stuff such as your eyebrows or nails, that is unnecessary in my opinion. Rather silly if you ask me. Although men obsessed with vanity...eugh. I don't understand that. I know I would just make sure I'm not looking terrible, and that's that.

Chocola teapot
06-06-11, 02:02
I usually take an hour to get ready to go out anywhere, I have to shower, straighten and style my Hair before anything.

I wear Eyeliner & Eyeshadow and don't care what anyone else thinks because it makes me feel great.

ozzman
06-06-11, 03:35
i don't care what i look like, i'm no pretty person and i don't care, i never cared that i am fat and not muscular and strong . i don't care that my hair is oil free and frizzy, i Don't care that i wear sweat pants all te times

Lara's Nemesis
06-06-11, 03:42
Nothing wrong with taking care of you appearance but some of these adverts selling products like moisturiser etc. for men are pretty sad.

ChingKong
06-06-11, 03:45
I like to look nice and be clean.

Apathetic
06-06-11, 03:48
Nothing wrong with taking care of you appearance but some of these adverts selling products like moisturiser etc. for men are pretty sad.

How come?

Gladous
06-06-11, 03:53
I don't mind guys who look after their appearance. If it helps your self confidence and you feel great, flaunt it. Just don't go over board. That's not attractive then. :p

Indiana Croft
06-06-11, 03:58
I take care of myself all the time, but I'm a bit of queen when I want to be so I'm probably not going to be helpful with my opinion for a straight man. I mean I'm masculine but like I said, gay as they come for the most part so take it as you will.
Personally I think its offputting for a man to never even take care of himself in the simplest ways. Shaping your eyeborws is fine to me, in fact its commendable. I say go on and work on yourself as you wish:)

Lara's Nemesis
06-06-11, 03:59
How come?

I am just very cynical about just how effective these products actually are. Women have been wasting millions on various beauty products for years and the companies are now targeting men more and more.

Maybe moisturiser wasn't the best example for me to use. :confused:

Apathetic
06-06-11, 04:04
. Women have been wasting millions on various beauty products for years and the companies are now targeting men more and more.

I'm sorry but that doesn't make much sense..

Lara's Nemesis
06-06-11, 04:14
I'm sorry but that doesn't make much sense..

No worries.:o

Companies never used to target men at all with products like moisturiser, anti ageing cream etc. They realised there was a big market for this and have been hitting it hard in the last 10 years or so. I personally find some of the adverts targetted at men amusing, that's all. :D

No big deal eally, if you want to spend your money on various beauty products then that is up to you.

Sir Croft
06-06-11, 04:21
I don't think there's anything wrong with taking care of your appearance. I'll get a hair cut, shave my face, not let my face get populated with an unscrupulous amount of acne, but nothing beyond that. Shaping my eyebrows (Which are quite bushy, btw), shaving any other part of my body and stuff, that's not for me. In fact, the furthest I am from this...

http://www.buscafilme.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/zacefron.jpg

... the better.

Apathetic
06-06-11, 04:21
^ Eww..

Avalon SARL
06-06-11, 04:46
Ofcourse men should take care of their appearance...

They have to be clean and look fresh.

You must always trim hair below your armpits and your private areas...
It is hygienic and
However, you can trim hair n your chest/back in case you are too much hairy...

But the eyebrows, never

Men looking more feminine is awful and bad

amaris
06-06-11, 05:08
I have long hair, and I look after it, but other than that, I don't do anything. :vlol:

Drone
06-06-11, 05:18
Hygiene is a must. The rest is irrelevant :wve:

Apathetic
06-06-11, 05:41
Men looking more feminine is awful and bad

Why?

Uzi master
06-06-11, 05:50
Why?

because his religion says so :pi:

just*raidin*tomb
06-06-11, 07:15
So I've been self conscious about my looks lately since last September when I started going to college. I noticed guys in college with well defined eyebrows and a nice fresh appearance and it singled me out in a sense because I've had bushy eyebrows and a not so perfect look. But my mother always brought up how a REAL MAN never plucks or shapes a brow or shaves his chest etc. But as I looked into my own image i realised i had to do something about it, which was why I've been single for 3 years. So i had to convince mum to shape up my brows and have made more adjustments to my appearance like, cutting my hair in my own way, which is usually against mums will and all.

Anyway referring to the title, what are your opinions on a guy shaping up his brows or grooming himself and using beauty products, do you think it's unacceptable, do you think it's okay, or do you think that they should only do it moderately and not overdo it? Let me know :)

I can relate actually. I'm going into college to and honestly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a man taking care of his appearance and wanting to look good. I also cut my own hair and (though very seldomly) pluck the gap between my brows. If I let it grow out it doesn't really become a uni, but there's still hair there and bothers me. And ofcourse the normal shaving from time to time. I like it scruffy most of time.

I also cut my own hair, have been for a couple years now. I'm actually quite good at it. :p I would love to say that was it, but I also have to take extensive care of my skin. I have pretty bad skin and be specific, ance. :o I absolutely hate it. I have to constantly treat it so that it doesn't get out of hand. And it's especially bad on my back. GOD I ****ING HATE IT. IT GETS ME PISSED OFF.

But as I said, there's nothing wrong with it at all. I would never go as far as to wear make up or something to make myself look good. I try to take care of my appearance, but I also try not to care. If that makes any sense.

NRO.
06-06-11, 07:27
Ugh. I hate men with pencil-thin eyebrows. No eyebrow plucking here. Unless it's an unibrow.

SkyPuppy
06-06-11, 07:30

lmao. <3

michaeldt
06-06-11, 07:33
I have a monobrow and I shave the middle of it every week or so :p

!Lara Croft!
06-06-11, 07:33
/\ Plucking it will last longer.

just*raidin*tomb
06-06-11, 07:37
I have a monobrow and I shave the middle of it every week or so :p

I would pluck it. Cutting hair makes it want to grow faster. :o

Ah, ^ Beat me to it.

Miharu
06-06-11, 07:51
I do believe men can take care of their appearance such as the occasional moisturising mask but i don't agree with shaving the chest (unless it get REALLY bushy) or plucking eyebrows unless the eyebrows are too big and bushy then sure pluck them but waxing the legs and wearing make up i don't agree with.

What I'm trying to say is some men OVERDO it so much it takes them a good two hours to get ready...

As for make up if it's eye liner...then ok but you gotta have pale skin and a more rock and roll look. I can't stand seeing blonde/light brown guys with eyeliner on. So black hair/pale skin and nice eyes = eye liner ok!

dizzydoil
06-06-11, 08:00
Of course it's best to look after yourself. I mean...otherwise...

http://dallasvintageshop.com/wp-content/uploads/Image/ancient/cave-MAN.jpg

:p

Apathetic
06-06-11, 08:06

Hahahahahaha. :vlol:

BlackRainbow
06-06-11, 08:07
Unless it's an unibrow.
True, that.

I think guys, if willing to, should take care of their appearance, yeah. I'm not a #1 fan of hairy chests so I don't mind them shaving. And hell, some men with make-up can be übersexy. Just like girls, not everyone looks good with make-up on.

pEhouse
06-06-11, 08:09
I have no problem with men taking care of themselves. Plucking eyebrows, shaving chest, manicure etc., it's all right with me.
Just when they look too feminine I can't find that attractive. And there's a fine line.

scoopy_loopy
06-06-11, 08:24
Lol, screw your Mum. Do what YOU want... if you want to 'look after' your body in that sense go for it. It's all up to individual preference. :)

SLAYER
06-06-11, 09:04
You should take care of your appearance, but please remember the first word in the title..

toxicraider
06-06-11, 10:53
I don't mind what people do if it makes them feel more comfortable with themselves, be it through plucking eyebrows, using concealer or waxing everywhere. Personally I would do my eyebrows if I had a mono-brow but as they are atm (a little bushy) I wouldn't touch them.

Edit; I used to get really bad eczema around my mouth for 6 months every winter, and without moisturizer, my face would have fallen off, or something. I don't see anything wrong with men using it, since it's more for your health and comfort than appearance.

TRULuverzz
06-06-11, 11:46
I take care of myself all the time, but I'm a bit of queen when I want to be so I'm probably not going to be helpful with my opinion for a straight man. I mean I'm masculine but like I said, gay as they come for the most part so take it as you will.
Personally I think its offputting for a man to never even take care of himself in the simplest ways. Shaping your eyeborws is fine to me, in fact its commendable. I say go on and work on yourself as you wish:)

oh about that. I'm actually Bisexual, not straight :P

I can relate actually. I'm going into college to and honestly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a man taking care of his appearance and wanting to look good. I also cut my own hair and (though very seldomly) pluck the gap between my brows. If I let it grow out it doesn't really become a uni, but there's still hair there and bothers me. And ofcourse the normal shaving from time to time. I like it scruffy most of time.

I also cut my own hair, have been for a couple years now. I'm actually quite good at it. :p I would love to say that was it, but I also have to take extensive care of my skin. I have pretty bad skin and be specific, ance. :o I absolutely hate it. I have to constantly treat it so that it doesn't get out of hand. And it's especially bad on my back. GOD I ****ING HATE IT. IT GETS ME PISSED OFF.

But as I said, there's nothing wrong with it at all. I would never go as far as to wear make up or something to make myself look good. I try to take care of my appearance, but I also try not to care. If that makes any sense.

I bet doing your own haircuts is like 10 times better than my mum doing mine. screw it once I'm working, I'm using the barbers, theres no way im letting my mum touch my hair again! lol
I agree it's good got a guy to take care of himself, unless a girl would be interested in dating: ... Actually never mind it's too ugly to look at! xD

Lol, screw your Mum. Do what YOU want... if you want to 'look after' your body in that sense go for it. It's all up to individual preference. :)

I say that to my mum alot well except for the cursing, I just tell her I don't care what you think a "real man" should do, because to be honest, I'm not even a proper masculine dude but I do have some masculine qualities to myself, just a mix, hmmm... I'm putting my paws up on this, coz i was Born This Way baby! xD

selling products like moisturiser etc. for men are pretty sad.

Why's that :confused: in my opinion mosturisers and skin care products for men is much needed coz without them, you know, acne and dry skin and it can be pretty uncomfortable. But luckily I have no acne but still, i probably would have to get into using other types of skincare products for men.

Spong
06-06-11, 11:51
...some of these adverts selling products like moisturiser etc. for men are pretty sad.

I've said this before somewhere, but they don't market it as "moisturiser" when they sell it to men, they market it as "skin protector" or something equally macho like that. They try to give the impression that men are out there deflecting kettles and bullets, all thanks to their products.

:rolleyes:

ozzman
06-06-11, 12:39
Hygiene is a must. The rest is irrelevant :wve:

100% agreed,

i only did 80's hair once in a while in school [mostly to piss off older teachers]
it was mostly like this though, not insanly fluffy and all over the place

http://www.metallyrica.com/bandpics/skid%2Brow.jpg

i love 80's Rocker hair alot

jajay119
06-06-11, 12:43
I'm fine with it, as long as it's not taken to rediculous lengths. I'm not a fan of the whole, burley, sweaty unshaven, unkempt look. Everyone appreciates someone who looks and smells good. But some guys take it too far which I don't really find attractive. But each to their own.

NRO.
06-06-11, 12:44
100% agreed,

i only did 80's hair once in a while in school [mostly to piss off older teachers]
it was mostly like this though, not insanly fluffy and all over the place

http://www.metallyrica.com/bandpics/skid%2brow.jpg

i love 80's rocker hair alot

wtf?

\Tomb Raider/
06-06-11, 12:48
http://www.metallyrica.com/bandpics/skid%2Brow.jpg

WTF!!!! :mad: That picture is totally wrong.... ITS NOT A HOT GUY :mis:

TRULuverzz
06-06-11, 13:52
WTF!!!! :mad: That picture is totally wrong.... ITS NOT A HOT GUY :mis:

lmao, you have a great sense of humour ^_^

Reggie
06-06-11, 14:00
My usual routine in the morning involves shower gel, shampoo (neither expensive), hair product, toothpaste and mouthwash. As long as I'm hygienic and presentable, I'm happy with that. I tend to use the barbers - hair doesn't need much money. I only shave my face. Other than that, I think working out and eating right helps things follow through. How much time and money other guys spend on their appearance is up to them as long as they're happy.

ozzman
06-06-11, 14:04
sometimes men take it too far, like Pete Burns
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FhopQJCeVu8/TJiwKPBmn6I/AAAAAAAACHk/iPvwdahj7bc/s1600/pete%2Bburns.jpg
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00909/Pete-Burns_380_909170a.jpg

StefanJ94
06-06-11, 14:05
^ But then again, in the end he was taking surgeries to stay alive after the lip problem. :D

TRULuverzz
06-06-11, 19:08
Pete must've been transgendered from the beginning of his life really. but some men take control of how often they care care of themselves and don't wanna be too feminine or whatnot.
and I just got used to my mums career as a beauty therapist and my sisters ambition to become one that i just keep in touch with my feminine side, but i don't overdo it! lol

LozBoz24
06-06-11, 19:26
Men using products is cool, as long as their eyebrows aren't shaped and plucked too much then I have no problem. Whatever makes them feel comfortable.

As long as a guy doesn't spend longer than me in front of the mirror then I'm fine with it. :ton:

Tombraiderx08
06-06-11, 19:33
Doesn't bother me none :p

jackles
07-06-11, 16:46
Well if a guy has a monobrow then I can understand a little plucking. Personally clean hair, body and smelling nice is always a plus.

milance941
07-06-11, 16:55
Man should take care of himself, but shaping eyebrows is too much:(
I understand keeping clean, smelling good, but with shaped eyebrows you look like a gay:p

robm_2007
07-06-11, 18:13

Gross....

But I agree with you. Not on the Mum screwing part but on the latter portion :pi:

FloTheMachine
07-06-11, 18:16
As long as you dont end up having eyebrows like this, I think you're fine.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_X72X4oV1oYk/TF85g2CBWfI/AAAAAAAAAww/b1Un1R3IMTg/s1600/pai.jpg

RAID
07-06-11, 18:20

I'm pretty much on the same wave.

I like a guy who takes care of himself, but a guy who acts, walks, talks, and dresses like a girl is a big no no for me. I mean if I were into that, I would date girls instead of guys.

I like my gay men manly and preferably with a goatee...which makes it hard for me to meet someone I like because all the gay guys I know are pretty much women in man's bodies...with no facial hair whatsoever.

NRO.
07-06-11, 18:24

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l535/trishaxterror/Amazing%20Bands/tokio_hotel_475.jpg

trXD
07-06-11, 19:00
Do what they want, if girls have a problem with it too bad for them. Personally I don't really do anything like that, apart from, um, shave my face and shower :p

larson n natla
07-06-11, 19:06
Man should take care of himself, but shaping eyebrows is too much:(
I understand keeping clean, smelling good, but with shaped eyebrows you look like a gay:p

Way to generalise:p

I shower with shower gel/body wash daily use shampoo almost everyday and condition my hair every week or so. Apart from that do the obvious, brush teeth, keep nails cut/filed, get my hair cut once a month or so. I also used to use various acne scrubs and other products non of which worked but since taking tablets for my skin I now only use moisturiser and Vaseline for my lips. (They get really dry)

People can go as indepth as they like with their 'beauty routine' but in the end it is how you feel. If you feel good usually you look good. :)

lararoxs
07-06-11, 19:31
I like it if men are well groomed - shave, keep appearance natural but not completely cave man or far too 'look-at-me'. Generally just looking after themselves is a yes! :)

toxicraider
07-06-11, 19:48
Reminded me of this :pi:

3hhfxZVyQ_c

I think he takes his appearance way too far, and he looks fine if not better without the obvious makeup. :p

TRULuverzz
07-06-11, 19:52

3hhfxZVyQ_c

I think he takes it way too far, and he looks fine if not better without the obvious makeup. :p

OMG I've seen his videos, yeh, makeup isn't really good on men for anything, unless they want to take a picture and the flash makes their face glow pale, then they'll need to apply some sort of cheek powder (or maybe foundation?) on their face to stop it really lol

Candee Sparks
07-06-11, 20:01
I shape and pencil in my brows daily. I'm a nature blonde so my hair is very faint but I prefer soft taupe brown brows (which are much darker) because it frames the eyes and face better. Mind you, I'm also a makeup artist so I'm used to 'abusing' my face but something as simple as brows or skincare can really sharpen and enhance your appearance. Not all makeup has to be bold and noticeable anyways. You'd be surprised at how many men wear simple makeup daily as a confidence boost, its not uncommon at the slightest.

Edit:

And no, just in case someone chimes in, it doesn't 'demasculinize' you in any way unless that's your intent. Contrary to popular belief, opinions on what makes a man are just opinions. In fact, I'd consider you quite the man to be open-minded towards the idea of cosmetics or beauty in general rather than just aiding concrete social stereotypes. I've worked on gay, straight, short, tall, and bearded men for quite a few things and I wouldn't once question their masculinity. They just wanted to look good, plain and simple and there's no shame in that.

larafan25
07-06-11, 20:33

3hhfxZVyQ_c

I think he takes his appearance way too far, and he looks fine if not better without the obvious makeup. :p

Oh my!:cln:

toxicraider
07-06-11, 20:43
Oh my!:cln:

I know, he's pretty good looking. :D

I'd say his amount of grooming is the top level of what I would personally do, although the concealer is a little noticeable, and makes him look a bit plastic. :p

larafan25
07-06-11, 21:04
I know, he's pretty good looking. :D

I'd say his amount of grooming is the top level of what I would personally do, although the concealer is a little noticeable, and makes him look a bit plastic. :p

Makes him look like a glowing angel from heaven. However I think it's unnecessary. He's hot either way.:cool:

KC Mraz
07-06-11, 21:22
Keeping your hair under control, cutting your nails, getting rid of that centipede you have for eyebrows. All of those are strongly encouraged. And then this:

Lip balm? Sure, if you need it. Eye liner? Stop it. Curling your eye lashes? Already too far.

Lara Croft!
07-06-11, 22:51
It always depends on what a man does, how he is doing it, how often and why.

For example a straight modern man for me is ok to:

Use creams and moisturizers
Own a lot of different perfumes (that's more than ok, actually)
To shape their brows, but ONLY IF they have a monobrow.
To use hair conditioners and hair styling products
To remove body hair (by shaving or permanently) if it is too much, for example having a hairy blanket on their shoulders.

It is NOT cool to:

Put on makeup (Unless it's a Halloween occasion)
To paint their nails
To take manicures or pedicures
To use self-tanning products
To get solarium tan
To shape their eye brows, although they don't have a bad shape
To shave all their body hair for no reason

milance941
09-06-11, 10:20

To remove body hair (by shaving or permanently) if it is too much, for example having a hairy blanket on their shoulders.

It is NOT cool to:

To paint their nails
To get solarium tan

totally agree:)

igonge
09-06-11, 10:56
I shave my beard and pluck my monobrow and that's about it lol. It's okay to pluck your eyebrows if you have a monobrow, you wouldn't be able to tell I have one now :pi:

cezy rockeru
09-06-11, 11:26

This,lol. :p

jajay119
09-06-11, 11:37

It is NOT cool to:

To paint their nails
To get solarium tan

I actually completely disagree, all of these things you have stereotyped on either acceptable norms or what you thing is personally unattractive and consider need to be removed in order to become attractive. Looking after yourself isn't about pleasing other people it about feeling good in yourself and you should do whatever you feel makes you look good as long as it's not over done.

I'm not straight but we cannot have double standards. I wear make up in summer, not a lot but a bit because I go very red on my cheeks and think it looks very unattractive, I shape my eyebrows because I have stray hairs that I feel make them look bushy. Why should other men not be allowed to do that as long as it isn't evident? As long as they do not go out looking like a drag queen with their eyebrows plucked to within an inch of their life, as I do not. You wouldn't know I did these things If I had not told you as many people have commented, it should be the same and is for a couple of my friends. Also why should men not remove body hair if they do not like it? Why should they not use a sun bed providing they don't come out looking like an orange? Whatever makes you happy, is what I say. Just in moderation.

Oh and just to make a point, yes nail polish on dude is beyond the level of moderation :p

-raz
09-06-11, 14:38
Maybe this is because i'm gay but I feel that in this day and age people really should be looking after their appearance, because it's important to look presentable. Call me superficial but aesthetics play a huge role in how people perceive you, and the first impressions you give. I respect people who stand their ground and say "This is my decision to not look after my appearance" but when people simply don't realise, I feel wake-up calls are needed... :rolleyes:

Also, I see people who complain about the 'set standards' we have on beauty yet they then say "men can do this and this but THIS is DISGUSTING". It's the same thing really.

a_pok
09-06-11, 15:23
well, i don't really care about how i look...
i only shave once a week and cut my hare once every 4months.
i don't care much about my fingers, i usually eat the nails and they look horrifying most of the time...
but still, my friends say i look good anyway... so whatever i'm doing seems to be working (for me :D)

Lara Croft!
09-06-11, 23:46
Why should other men not be allowed to do that as long as it isn't evident? Also why should men not remove body hair if they do not like it? Why should they not use a sun bed providing they don't come out looking like an orange? Whatever makes you happy, is what I say.

Whatever makes everyone happy, I agree with you. I never said that men are not allowed to do that, I said it's not ok for me. If I were a man, I wouldn't do it, or if my boyfriend did some of these things I wouldn't like it.

domina
10-06-11, 02:36
Men can do whatever they want to feel good and happy about themselves, just like women. If that means waxing their body and putting on make-up, I say go for it.

But that doesn't necessarily mean I find it attractive. I definitely prefer what I guess would be considered a very stereotypical masculine look: a well-groomed, clean-shaven guy with some nice cologne and a sharp suit is extremely sexy, but so is a little scruff on a guy in just jeans and a t-shirt.

skylark1121
10-06-11, 03:16
Just be weary of over-shaping your eyebrows. Don't give them an arch. I pluck my brows because I tend to get stray hairs over my nose ( a unobrow an much as I hate to admit it.) I don't arch them at all, though.
Appearance is very important to me.

AmericanAssassin
10-06-11, 03:19
I pluck my eyebrows, go tanning, and work out occasionally. So do all of my friends. I think it's just the norm for guys to do these things now. I also absolutely love to go shopping. New clothes are the best. Then again, so do all of my friends. Every single one. The only aspect about my appearance that I sometimes let slide is my facial hair. I work a lot and tend to be busy, so I often have some scruff. :p

Tiddlyfish13
10-06-11, 05:10
I am a guy (14)
Here's what I do:
I straighten my hair
I put on eye liner, bottom lid only, thin dark line
Use acne foam soap stuff for my face to keep it clean
Will get rid of the monobrow section in my eye brows

What I don't do:
Go over board with eye liner
Use any other form of make up besides eye liner
Date guys :pi:
Paint my finger nails
Arch/style my eyebrows. I think that's a little bit too much

So what you do is fine :p

Admles
10-06-11, 06:45
I take care of myself. I work in aircon, so I use moisturiser because my skin dries out. I also exercise regularly, and use a loofa with shower gel instead of soap, because I work at a service station and I find that I get rid of the petrol smell that way. I have a facial scrub because I have oily skin around my face.

I don't get manicures, but because of my martial arts I do have to keep my nails trimmed.

I also manscape :pi:

My sister also plucks the hairs of my unibrow (but I will not let her shape my eyebrows).

I believe there is nothing wrong with taking care of yourself; you only get one body, so look after it.

TRNation
10-06-11, 10:00
Appearance is everything. Gone is the stereotype of the smelly, untidy male - looking clean and fresh is attractive and way more pleasing to the eyes! :tmb:

Speaking of which, has anyone ever noticed how those male K-Pop stars seem to be more fashionably chic than the females? The irony. :D

Laras Backpack
10-06-11, 10:12
There are features and styles I generally find attractive in men and others that I don't. For example, I've never been a fan of the monobrow. :pi: But honestly, what I find attractive is my own taste and not a series of guidelines a guy should follow. I'd no sooner start drawing lines as to what a man should or shouldn't do with his appearance as I'd welcome a man or another woman to start telling me what to do with mine. It's his own choice what he does and why he does it.

TippingWater
10-06-11, 10:19
I think if someone doesn't like you for who you are, then that's their problem, not yours.

I've always loved your eyebrows, Taz. :D

It's not worth changing your appearance to get someone to like you. I do a little to my eyebrows, like plucking the middle but that's how I like to look.
I personally hate when guys go all out on plucking their eyebrows where it gets to the point where they look too meticulous and feminine but I wouldn't get someone to change the way they look. I'm totally against body policing.

It's best to forget about the whole "real man", "acceptable body image" etc. bull and do what you want. :)

I agree !

Ikas90
10-06-11, 10:52
I try to take care of my appearance, but I don't really succeed when it comes to acne. Not much I can do there.

I also got rid of my unibrow. I didn't like it at all.

Your_Envy*
10-06-11, 11:44
Men can do whatever they want to feel good and happy about themselves, just like women. If that means waxing their body and putting on make-up, I say go for it.

But that doesn't necessarily mean I find it attractive. I definitely prefer what I guess would be considered a very stereotypical masculine look: a well-groomed, clean-shaven guy with some nice cologne and a sharp suit is extremely sexy, but so is a little scruff on a guy in just jeans and a t-shirt.

I feel exactly the same. There is nothing I can add to this post (expect +1 :p).

TRULuverzz
11-06-11, 19:23
I happen to have drove past a Men's Beauty Salon over here in Egypt and got really excited! :D

Capt. Murphy
11-06-11, 19:55
I wouldn't "shape" my eyebrows. :vlol: But I have taken a razor when hair between them gets a bit noticeable.

My hair is a bit dry and naturally curly, so whenever it gets a bit long I do use a bit of (unscented) pump hairspray to keep it in place. It's either that or keep a comb with me, or just go with the 'I don't give a flip today' kind of look.

There's taking care of your appearance and then there's getting carried away. I do not get carried away, but I do feel like I take somewhat more preventative steps to avoid looking like I don't take care of my looks. If that makes any sense.

If we're talking about clothes too. Pfft. I just wear whatever... Well, nothing to look like I'm some poor schmo (like sweats and a short sleeved cotton shirt). I'm more likely to wear bluejeans, and a button or polo (styled) shirt.

ryan91
11-06-11, 20:03
make up = no

Lara-Thomas
11-06-11, 21:19

This.

I look after my self, use moisturizer etc there's nothing wrong with grooming, its just a form of cleansing which is a must for everyone. Although shaping eyebrows its a bit much especially on some guys who have it, it just doesn't look good. Then again each to their own.

Aphrodite22
11-06-11, 21:25
I think its okay, ive got no problem with it.

Guys who shape their eyebrows is a no no for me.

I like men who look after themselves not at themselves.

Unless u are unibrow..

Lizard of Oz
12-06-11, 08:55
I love my men hairless and groomed :)
lol but I'm gay so yeah... :D

Well I think straight men can do whatever they want also. It's sort of a stereotype that only gay men care a lot about their image and wax/ pluck eyebrows/ and use facial cleansers and other stuff.

But 75% of gay men are more attractive than 80% of straight men. ;)
And the rest are straight men who take really good care of themselves. :)

MiCkiZ88
12-06-11, 09:51
I do think it's perfectly normal to take care of your appearance. Not just to please others from not stinking like a skunk, but to lift your spirits up as well. When you shine *okay.. no need to wax the bald head though*, people start to notice you not because of your looks, but because you are actually standing out with your feel good look.

As for me: I shave/trim my bodyhair, scrub my skin, lotion my face, straighten my hair, pluck my eyebrows to keep them neat *not too thin though*, get a tan and work out to keep myself toned. And yet I'm still not as extreme as some of my straight friends xD

Wearing make up is kind of an no no to me, unless it is completely invisible and hides acne.. then I might use it.

peeves
12-06-11, 15:44
I shave my eyebrows and other hairs because i don't like being hairy and I'm a man too. But i don't care how i look. I just don't feel comfortable having hairy parts.

Legend 4ever
12-06-11, 15:49
No one will ever convince me that a unibrow is acceptable. No one. And I've never, ever met a girl (or any other human being) who was fine with it/liked it. And chances are, if you're a man, you'll have a unibrow unless you wax/pluck.

I would not recommend shaving because you can mess up, plus, the hair can be seen the same day or the day after because it hasn't been pulled from the root.

When it comes to cosmetics I try to be less prejudiced about it, but men with tons of anti-wrinkle creams and moisturizers still kinda freak me out a bit. Hell, even women who have daily skincare rituals scare me, let alone men.

BrandonFlowers
12-06-11, 15:51
I wouldn't "shape" my eyebrows. :vlol: But I have taken a razor when hair between them gets a bit noticeable.

My hair is a bit dry and naturally curly, so whenever it gets a bit long I do use a bit of (unscented) pump hairspray to keep it in place. It's either that or keep a comb with me, or just go with the 'I don't give a flip today' kind of look.

There's taking care of your appearance and then there's getting carried away. I do not get carried away, but I do feel like I take somewhat more preventative steps to avoid looking like I don't take care of my looks. If that makes any sense.

If we're talking about clothes too. Pfft. I just wear whatever... Well, nothing to look like I'm some poor schmo (like sweats and a short sleeved cotton shirt). I'm more likely to wear bluejeans, and a button or polo (styled) shirt.

I do the same thing :D

coolaideonfire
12-06-11, 18:15
I think for a lot of people taking care of appearance is important. It gives you confidence knowing you look nice, but it shouldn't be all consuming, one should also feel comfortable enough to roll out of bed and head outside.

I don't think men should be limited to the ways in which they choose to take care of themselves. If you want to pluck your eyebrows, shave your chest or put on a bit of foundation to hide a spot then go for it! It's us that has to live with ourselves at the end of the day and we're not affecting anyone else but ourselves.

Doby
12-06-11, 18:41
I like guys who look like they belong in Pink Floyd: beards, long hair, etc..... Yeah my friends tell me I have "terrible" taste in men :vlol:

Tear
12-06-11, 19:12
I do my own eyebrows, and man do they look sexy.;)

TRULuverzz
12-06-11, 19:32
I do my own eyebrows, and man do they look sexy.;)

Now THAT's what I want to hear. PAWS UP! :tmb:

Catracoth
12-06-11, 19:36
I take very good care of my appearance, especially so when I'm going somewhere. When I go to the barbershop, I have my barber shave my head to a number two hair-razor, line up my hair, sideburns, and moustache, do the eyebrows to make them look a bit less unkempt. I always ensure to have fresh breath when leaving the house and carry breath mints or chewing gum. I wear a distinct deodorant from Old Spice and always wear an anti-intoxicating cologne so I smell appealing without overdoing it. ;)

jackles
12-06-11, 19:56
Mind you, men used to wear makeup in the past.

In the Georgian times men of fashion used to have powdered wigs, wore lead white face paint, rouge, and had painted lips. They also used to carry fans and wore perfume.

Though of course they would have needed the perfume with bathing being limited and no deodorants!!!

Legend 4ever
20-06-11, 18:12

I agree entirely. Gender stereotypes are vicious thing. And what's even worse is that people are set so deep in the ideology and hegemony that they do not realize that there's nothing "natural" about what people should look like or should wear. It's all a construct.

As seen in the post above me, fashions change and the rules of how the society is run change, but there is never an essence that defines a man or a woman. That is why no one can say what constitutes a "real man" or a "real woman".

I see some people who generally fight for the right of a woman to not be objectified and expected to look like a generic representation of what a man wants, that act like that when it comes to their view of men. They think a man is not a man if he waxes and plucks their eyebrows, yet they have been fighting to put an end to the representations of women as sex objects, with big breasts, whose only objective is to cook and give birth. If woman is still a woman even if she doesn't look like a sex bomb, doesn't want to be a housewife and doesn't care about having kids, then a man is still a man if he wears pink and waxes his entire body and paints his nails.

There is nothing in the nature of makeup, perfumes or colors that says "girl" or "boy", we have made those distinctions. We can break them.

Vanni
20-06-11, 19:02
I've completely shaven my eyebrows off before and replaced them with rhinestones... XD

I just wear what I'm comfortable in and I do my makeup however I want. I just so happen to be comfortable in vinyl pants tighter than my own skin and 6-inch stripper boots... :)

x

moodydog
20-06-11, 19:10
I don't care for me appearance too much and never will

kristi
20-06-11, 20:52
Well, personally, I decided to go a bit over the usual trimming and plucked my eyebrows a bit (just out of curiosity) a week ago. Believe me, I'm never going to do that again. :pi:

I don't have nothing against men who trim off the excess eyebrows but plucking them, makes them look a bit too feminine IMO.

As for shaving legs and chest hair, I wouldn't do it, unless I was a swimmer or something like that. :p Now, I would just keep myself to basic trimming and/or shortening.

StarCroft:AOD
28-06-11, 13:32
shaves his chest

Whaaaat?!:yik:

I do bicycle racing on a velodrome and ALL of the men cyclists have got perfectly SHAVED legs. Mine are extremely hairy.:ton: I kinda feel uneasy when looking at them.:p

I think that they are just heterosexual men on the verge of becoming effeminate :ton: (I'd love to see it.) :mis: Even us, the manly and macho gay men, don't do those sort of things.;)