PDA

View Full Version : Decade in history

Eros5th
07-06-11, 07:32
What do you think future scholars will write about this past decade in history books?

Other than terrorism being a big issue and I guess increase in technology I'm not sure what more this decade has really been about.

Drone
07-06-11, 07:35
Lady Gaga

Goose
07-06-11, 07:36
I think the 20-teens so far will be about Arab democracy, if they get it to work, maybe the fall of more dictatorships around the world.

Mad Tony
07-06-11, 08:53
How are we supposed to know when we're only 6 months (or 1 year and 6 months depending on how you look at it) into this decade? :confused:

Ikas90
07-06-11, 09:37
I can think of quite a few things that may happen this decade.

I think the biggest focus is space travel. It will become much more common.

Eros5th
07-06-11, 09:39
Oops I meant this last decade not the current one.

Cochrane
07-06-11, 09:56
Hard to say now, since we don't know what effects the events will have on future decades, but aren't terrorism, the associated wars and the general realignment of the western world from "we all love the US" to "we work with the US sometimes, but also China and Russia" important enough?

Spong
07-06-11, 10:12
The Bugatti Veyron is the best thing to come out of 2000-2010 :tmb:

sandygrimm
07-06-11, 10:26
The eco revolution. the 2012 paranoya :p

Cochrane
07-06-11, 10:55
Eco has been going on far longer. 2012 is a different decade (namely the current one). And the Veyron is just a VW new Beetle that has been flattened a lot. :D

Liara
07-06-11, 11:13
And the Veyron is just a VW new Beetle that has been flattened a lot. :D
And yet there's a reason that Top Gear called it Car of the Decade. ;)

Spong
07-06-11, 11:15
And the Veyron is just a VW new Beetle that has been flattened a lot. :D

Yeah, a 1000bhp VW Beetle that's been flattened a lot :p

sandygrimm
07-06-11, 11:30
Eco has been going on far longer. 2012 is a different decade (namely the current one). And the Veyron is just a VW new Beetle that has been flattened a lot. :D

Stickler much? :p and the Audi R8, A1, and 3 beat u guys out of water:pi:

Cochrane
07-06-11, 12:19
And yet there's a reason that Top Gear called it Car of the Decade. ;)

Meh, what do those three guys know about cars? :p

Seriously, the Veyron is what literally happens when the boss of the largest but most boring german car manufacturer decides "We need a supercar too!" Lots of technical finesse and raw power, but the car just has no heart. There's no history to it. Oh sure, they bought the Bugatti nameplate, but this car isn't french, it's 100% lower saxon - and that is anything but emotional. The styling does not evoke a proud history of racing cars, it evokes a VW Passat.

Mind you, the technical specs are impressive, though. I witnessed a race between a Veyron and a Porsche 911 a few months back, at a point where a speed limitation area (120 kph/75 mph) on the Autobahn ended. The Porsche had no chance whatsoever against the Veyron.

Orionvalentine
07-06-11, 13:40
One thing that fascinates me is that in the past decades we have very memorable things. I mention the 60's, 70's and 80's and we conjour up iconic clothing, music and events. When you think back over the last decade or even the one before that does it seem as memorable?

xXhayleyroxXx
07-06-11, 14:50
~ advance in technology
~terrorism
~increase in cities opposed to countryside
~ money problems/national debt
~ music icons
~ government

Cochrane
07-06-11, 15:16
Just for fun: The standards for continental european model railroads are laid down in the NEM. Apart from technical stuff, it also divides railroad history into eras. According to NEM 800 (german (http://morop.eu/de/normes/nem800_d.pdf), french (http://morop.eu/fr/normes/nem800_f.pdf), there is no english version), Era VI started between 2005 and 2010 (differing in each country. For Germany it's 2007, for example). The major changes in the world as far as model railroads are concerned are consequently:

- Private railroad companies operating next to the traditional ones, without having their own infrastructure.
- New 12-digit numbering system for locomotives and modified numbering for rail cars.
- Old treaties (RIC, RIV etc) get transformed into EU laws (in particular TSI).
- National high speed lines start to grow together to form a european network.
- Less and less freight apart from major routes.
- Passenger traffic is dominated by EMUs, DMUs and push-pull trains, while freight trains are usually unit trains.

Standards NEM 801-825 will give more details for each country. In Switzerland, for example, one of the major turning points this century was the introduction of the new overhead line type RE 230, while for France, the introduction of a new, red, logo was one of the major issues.

Does that help at all with the original question? :D

Alive_and_Funky
07-06-11, 18:04
ROGER FEDERER

Music downloads becoming more popular than CDs is something worth noting as well.

xXhayleyroxXx
07-06-11, 18:06
Introduction of blu-ray too.

Cochrane
07-06-11, 18:07
Did Blu-Ray really take off, though? It seems adoption has stalled, compared to how fast DVDs took over.

xXhayleyroxXx
07-06-11, 18:09
Did Blu-Ray really take off, though? It seems adoption has stalled, compared to how fast DVDs took over.

It might. Its still quite expensive and considering we're in a global recession, the majority of us opt for DVD's. Tiz why I said 'introduction of' and not 'rising popularity of'.

FloTheMachine
07-06-11, 18:10
How amazing Evanescence were.

And the impending zombie apocalypse. :p

xXhayleyroxXx
07-06-11, 18:23
How amazing Evanescence were.

And the impending zombie apocalypse. :p

Indeed, and like. How Call of Duty addiction ensued.

FloTheMachine
07-06-11, 18:24
I'd love for this apocalypse to happen soon.
Where will we get the guns though? :D

peeves
07-06-11, 18:26
Well last decade in history the 9/11 tragedy in the US happened. And lots of other things too like the economy getting worse, wars in Iraq etc.

xXhayleyroxXx
07-06-11, 18:27
I'd love for this apocalypse to happen soon.
Where will we get the guns though? :D

I know, me too xD
Umm. Umm. We'll think of something, I'm sure.