PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Levels of the TR series, and why?

sheepman23
07-06-11, 18:54
I've seen all of the "Favorite Level of ________?" threads, but I'd like to ask: What are you favorite levels of the Tomb Raider series, and why?

You can list as many as you want, I'm going to stick to my top 4:

Temple of Xian: Sprawling layout, intense beginning, maddening traps, the creepiest location of any TR game (the spider caves :eek:), and just, overall, a thrilling and memorable ride. Very, very atmopsheric level.

Madubu Gorge: Some people hate this level; personally, I think the challenge factor of the kayak is some of the best stuff in the series. The level is beautiful, and the whitewater rivers are just so cool to look at and drive the kayak through. The jumps across the river are also insanely atmopsheric, especially towards the end when you ride the zipline into the little temple. Speaking of which, I love the main puzzle of pulling the plug. :tmb:

Palace Midas (TR1): The golden touch of Midas is one of the best elements I've seen in any game... ever. The switch puzzle is fantastic, the entire level layout is phenomenal, and the burner pillars are a very challenging little trap. Everything is just super tight here - there's plenty of combat, and plenty of puzzles, and an amazingly atmospheric feel. :D

St. Francis Folly (Anniversary): This level is the best example of a masterpiece by Crystal Dynamics. They took the original St. Francis Folly, and turned it into an amazingly atmospheric level; they fixed the names of the gods, and created four spectacular puzzles to go with them. I got that same amazing feeling that I did in TR1 when I stood at the top of the giant tower room... such an amazing experience. :tmb:

peeves
07-06-11, 19:16
Thames Wharf , Aldwych, Lud's Gate, and City because those 4 levels take place in my favorite section of my favorite TR game.

FloTheMachine
07-06-11, 19:19
A lot of my favourite TR levels are custom, but okay...

Temple of Poseidon, that room where Lara begins in the water, it's about 4 textures, but its a huge and amazing room. <3

The Great Wall, it was just so... nostalgic? It was an immense start to TR2, and ultimately my favourite ever TR level, the imagination someone has to add a T-Rex in China is immense. :D

Thats all I can think of atm. :p

sheepman23
07-06-11, 19:21
A lot of my favourite TR levels are custom,

They can be custom levels; I've just never played any of them, so I didn't include it in the title. :o

FloTheMachine
07-06-11, 19:24
Oh...

Well. :p

Horus - Neon God (http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=1565) (unavailable presently)

Titak - Himalayan Mysteries (http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=1793)

Cowboy - Ghosts of Croft Manor (http://www.trle.net/sc/levelfeatures.php?lid=2157)

<3

Vinkula
07-06-11, 20:25
Opera House - I don't actually know why I like this level. I don't even like opera... But it's also a theatre of somekind, and I love theatre, so maybe that's why. I also like the ending cutscene (my new favourite cutscene of TR2). Awesome level, confusing for the first time and some traps are nice. I love the water areas under the floors.

Barkhang Monastery - Ah, this level is actually my number one Tomb Raider level ever! I love the athmosphere of the outside area (which actually the same from "Tibetan Foothills". It's so fresh! And the monastery feels so warm inside. When you go to the roof of the monastery or leave the monastery temporarely to the mountains, it feels so fresh and I can feel fresh air coming to my lungs! And I love the help from the monks.

Temple Ruins - Many, many people hates it, but I actually love it now! It's so awesome level, yeah, maybe too hard for being a 2nd level of the entire game, but I love it so, so much now! The traps, Shiva statues and all, my, my! One of my favourite levels of the TR3!

Coastal Village - The beginning of the level is so beautiful! And then when you move towards the village, it comes all spooky! What a change really. The village area is so spooky because you never know is the next tribesman a poison guy or a normal guy. They also look damn spooky...

Madubu Gorge - Like Sheepy said, quite many hates it, but I love the challenge and the kayak isn't hard for me to control, I actually find it quite easy... Of course sometimes I lose my nerves, but it's rewarding to get the kayak part over with! Ah, Madubu Gorge has also amazing waterfall rooms <3_<3.

Thames Wharf - I love it. It's the best London level and best level, the catsuit involved. I love the rooftop sneaking and all that. The level has few hard jumps and otherwise it's quite easy, but the jumps makes it a bit hard. Also, the electricity machine puzzle brings a little challenge to the level. Thames Wharf, thank you for being so amazing level :P

Temple of Khamoon (TRA) - This is the only level I REALLY enjoy in Anniversary. Yes yes, the whole game is good, but this level is my top favourite. The athmosphere really gets me in the game.

Ghana (TRL) - It's so beautiful and I love the puzzles of the level, maybe they are easy, but so is the game but the puzzles are clever here, in my opinion. The level gives me "wild wild tomb riding" experience, even tho, the level is quite linear and most of the enemies are humans.

Mexico (TRU) - Hmm, the athmosphere, rainy and dark fits to the level like nose to human face. I love how real the architecture looks and I love the enemies, black panthers and those weird mayan / spanish speaking men, and the spiders... EEEW, I hate spiders, arachophobic, but that's why I enjoy killing them! Die you white bitches! First introduction of human/viking thralls. They were annoying, because there were so much of them, like in the game onwards.

--
Omg, I have many favourite levels xD

Liara
07-06-11, 20:54
Temple of Xian: Sprawling layout, intense beginning, maddening traps, the creepiest location of any TR game (the spider caves :eek:), and just, overall, a thrilling and memorable ride. Very, very atmopsheric level.

Not to mention mysterious. :tmb:

The Floating Islands is one of my faves. I was gobsmacked the moment the game started because it felt so much like Lara was dreaming. Everything was so surreal and twisty-turny that you never knew what could spring from around the corner.

laravision
07-06-11, 21:23
They can be custom levels; I've just never played any of them, so I didn't include it in the title. :o

I think you should invest some of your time in a few custom levels sheepman. Many level builders undertake major time & effort in their building projects which result in some wonderfully crafted levels :D

sheepman23
07-06-11, 23:40
I think you should invest some of your time in a few custom levels sheepman. Many level builders undertake major time & effort in their building projects which result in some wonderfully crafted levels :D

I have actually played a custom level before - but I was so clumsy with the controls that I kinda gave up. :o One of these days, I'll download another one and play it... ;)

xXhayleyroxXx
08-06-11, 00:03
St. Francis Folly ~ I adored the trap rooms <3 This level had a little bit of everything (different elements, puzzles etc) and I loved the main room and its great height <3

England ~ King Arthur's Tomb ~ I loved the mix between old and new. Modern and history. Myth and truth. I loved descending and then ascending again and the vehicles. It felt like what a proper tomb raider level should be like.

Wreck of the Maria Doria ~ It scared me so much but I loved exploring xD Some of my fondest memories were of playing this level.

Coastal Thialand ~ So pretty and immense in scale. Again, it went from modern to history and I loved that. I loved exploring the different sections.

Southern Mexico ~ I loved how vast the levels were in size and how Lara had to traverse them via motorcycle (and could even do so in the temples). I love the Mayan mythology references.

peeves
08-06-11, 00:14
St. Francis Folly ~ I adored the trap rooms <3 This level had a little bit of everything (different elements, puzzles etc) and I loved the main room and its great height <3

England ~ King Arthur's Tomb ~ I loved the mix between old and new. Modern and history. Myth and truth. I loved descending and then ascending again and the vehicles. It felt like what a proper tomb raider level should be like.

Wreck of the Maria Doria ~ It scared me so much but I loved exploring xD Some of my fondest memories were of playing this level.

Coastal Thialand ~ So pretty and immense in scale. Again, it went from modern to history and I loved that. I loved exploring the different sections.

Southern Mexico ~ I loved how vast the levels were in size and how Lara had to traverse them via motorcycle (and could even do so in the temples). I love the Mayan mythology references.

What if we were only counting CORE's TR Games?

:}hello friend
08-06-11, 00:23
^ Tough luck.

laravision
08-06-11, 00:26
What if we were only counting CORE's TR Games?

Well this thread corresponds to the entire TR series & its many epic levels!

sheepman23
08-06-11, 00:28
You know, I don't get why people automatically exclude CD's games as TR games... kinda makes me mad, actually. :mad: CD worked very hard to create some very awesome levels (atleast in the two games of theirs that I've played, Legend and Anniversary)... then again, what is my opinion? :rolleyes:

peeves
08-06-11, 00:31
You know, I don't get why people automatically exclude CD's games as TR games... kinda makes me mad, actually. :mad: CD worked very hard to create some very awesome levels (atleast in the two games of theirs that I've played, Legend and Anniversary)... then again, what is my opinion? :rolleyes:

The only real crystal TR game IMO is Anniversary.

SkyPuppy
08-06-11, 00:37
The only real crystal TR game IMO is Anniversary.

that's only a remake, though.

Encore
08-06-11, 11:58
^ Which says a lot. :p

My favourite levels:

Aldwych - excellent level design and an amazing atmosphere that really makes you feel isolated, in a place seemingly normal but filled with mysteries and secrets.

Thames Wharf - love, LOVE the atmosphere and location

the Maria Doria section - because it's quite an unique experience, very cleverly designed, challenging and again with brilliant atmosphere

Temple Ruins - as far as more classic TR levels go, I particularly love this one, even though there might me more challenging or bigger ones; this was my first experience with those types of levels and it took me AGES to get through it the first time, so it's quite special.

Temple of Xian - because it's like a mini game in itself, extremely rich and challenging level

Area 51 - purely for the level design which is outstanding

Ikas90
08-06-11, 12:53
The Deck (TR2) - I love that it's in an air pocket deep beneath the ocean. The idea is fascinating; and this would be my favourite of all the underwater levels.
Temple of Xian (TR2) - Probably because it's the most challenging level, with plenty of traps.
Crash Site (TR3) - Most variety. Plenty to do in this level, including killing dinosaurs with the MP5.
Hall of Seasons (TR6) - Biggest and most challenging level, and it involves the four elements.
Nepal (TRL) - Just the icy scenery of it. I love mountain climbing.

Avalon SARL
08-06-11, 13:34
1-TRA: St.Francis Folly: it was challenging enough.I liked how the puzzles needed more thought than they were in the original

2- TRU: Thailand: the atmosphere, music,graphics and puzzle within this is amazing.

3- VCI: TR5: It was a different level from anything played before in TR.I liked her stealth and sniper shots. Loved head shots and how we should deactivate traps and stuff.
Had very good tricky things and I enjoyed that we had to trap the robots instead of just shoot them till they die. Brilliant :tmb:

4- TR2: Temple of Xian: This level is amazing. It has the best traps.

5- TRL: England- King Arthur's Tomb: knowing TRL was easy,this level had the classic style more,going deep into the depths of caverns. Its atmosphere was great, not to forget it was longer and harder.
Enjoyed killing that snake :D

Drone
08-06-11, 14:54
TR1: Natla's Mines, Atlantis, The Great Pyramid
TR3: City
TR4: Tomb of Semerkhet
AOD: Bio-Research Facility, Sanitarium, Vault Of Trophies

peeves
08-06-11, 20:38
Well in that case:
TR1 - Cistern and Tomb of Tihocan
TR2 - Great Wall, Offshore Rig, Diving Area, Barkhang Monastery, and Temple of Xian
TR3 - Jungle, Temple Ruins, River Ganges, Caves of Kaliya, Nevada Desert, High Security Compound, Area 51, Thames Wharf, Aldwych, Lud's Gate, and City
TR4 - Desert Railroad, Alexandria, Coastal Ruins, City of the Dead, Chambers of Tulun, Citadel Gate, Trenches, Street Bazaar, Citadel
TR5 - Base, Gallow's Tree, Labyrinth, Old Mill, 13th Floor, Escape with the Iris, Red Alert
TR6 - Parisian Back Streets, Derelict Apartment Block, Industrial Roof Tops, Mlle. Carvier's Apartment, Parisian Ghetto, Le Serpent Rouge, St. Aicard's Graveyard, Bouchard's Hideout, Bio Research Facility, Sanitarium, Maximum Containment Area, Aquatic Research Area.

:}hello friend
08-06-11, 22:08
St. Francis Folly
Colosseum
Palace Midas
Tomb of Semerkhet
Lost Library
Pharos Temple of Isis

Why?

Eh, you know.

Vinkula
08-06-11, 22:21
Where's your "whys"?

Chocola teapot
08-06-11, 22:37
The Lost Valley, Venice, Thames Wharf/Tinnos & dem' Burial Chambers.