PDA

View Full Version : Something terrible happened

Solice
10-06-11, 06:57
I was driving in Wisconsin tonight through a stretch farmland, so it was absolutely pitch black all around me for miles. The only light is from my car. Midway through the dark void, I saw a momentary flash in front of my car, and then a thud against my passenger side bumper. I had hit an animal. From the split second I could see him, it looked to be a fox or coyote.

So I doubled back as soon as I could. I wanted to assess the situation and hopefully call for help for the little guy. But since I was in a very remote area, it took a half hour to get back and try to find him. He was nowhere to be found. Either the impact blew him into the grass, or he crawled away.

There was no way I could avoid hitting him. He flashed by in less than a second. I know it's not my fault, but I am still concerned about the little guy. I don't know if he is dead, or how badly he is injured. What kind of damage did I do? Itís completely out of my hands.

I feel terrible about this. I love animals, and I do what I can to protect them. I have spent a lot of money helping animals in need. And now I have hurt one.

So I asked The Creator to take good care of him, and if you will, please find a small bit of time tonight to pray for him. I would appreciate it.

Ikas90
10-06-11, 07:03
Sorry to hear about that. :( Indeed it was just an accident - a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. But if not you, someone else might have hit it.

jajay119
10-06-11, 07:07
That's sad, but like you said it was a complete accident and you couldn't have avoided it. Animals are more resiliant than they look, especially in the wild. I imagine if you caught him from the side, just clipping him, you wouldn't have done to much harm, especially if he was nowhere to be seen afterwards he must have been healthy enough to scamper off somewhere pretty sharpish. Try not to feel bad. :hug:

xXhayleyroxXx
10-06-11, 11:50
Unfortunately, that happens every day :( Its unpreventable. I haven't hit an animal yet but I know I will. I'm sorry to hear of this and don't beat yourself up too much about it :hug: Thinking of the animal and praying he's okay xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FourBalls
10-06-11, 11:59
I hit a small deer once. Three of them came out of nowehere, I could avoid the first two but the third one got the hit =/ There was really no way I could've avoided it either since I was on a highway basically going 90km/h.

All in all it was a really lucky experience because a) it didn't wreck he car and b) me and all others in the car didn't get hurt. I was in shock though and couldn't drive anymore.

But yeah, I guess my point is you can't control animals. Luckily it's very rarely that we actually do encouter one, even though the possibility is always there. Gotta be careful.

Autolycus
10-06-11, 12:03
Are you sure that you hit an animal and not something else?

If so like you said it wasn't your fault at all, but I do hope he's ok. Are you able to go back in the daylight and have a look?

tampi
10-06-11, 12:10
You have to be strangely grateful.
Some of the most serious road accidents are caused by stray animals.
Striking a large ruminants or a horse can be brutal. Other drivers have worse luck in trying to dodge the animal and going off road with more danger to the occupants of the car.

When driving at night in the field or in the woods, always have to be very cautious.
Sad lesson.:o
:hug:

xXhayleyroxXx
10-06-11, 13:15
I hit a small deer once. Three of them came out of nowehere, I could avoid the first two but the third one got the hit =/ There was really no way I could've avoided it either since I was on a highway basically going 90km/h.

All in all it was a really lucky experience because a) it didn't wreck he car and b) me and all others in the car didn't get hurt. I was in shock though and couldn't drive anymore.

But yeah, I guess my point is you can't control animals. Luckily it's very rarely that we actually do encouter one, even though the possibility is always there. Gotta be careful.

I wish that was true for me -- its one of the bad points about living in the country. In a 20 min drive I'll probably encounter 5+ animals, and thats running on the road alone. The worst ones are deer, as you yourself know because they can kill you if you hit them hard enough :/ There's load of write-offs here because of the vast number of deer. xxxx

cezy rockeru
10-06-11, 14:08
It was def not your fault,and you can't be blamed for hitting the animal.
I hope he will survive if he's still alive. =/
But no need to blame yourself. :hug:

voltz
10-06-11, 14:29
I had a friend clip a doe from the hip once and it pretty much died of shock in about 4-5 mins. He didn't know what else to do with it so to avoid the DNR, he just took it home and skinned it. Pretty heartless but you can't let a kill go to waste especially when it knocks out a headlight.

Anyway, Wisconsin is a royal ***** for hazards because of the deer population. Sometimes I wish we had more seasons without a kill limit to keep their numbers in check.

I hope he will survive if he's still alive. =/

If it's crippled, it won't. You won't believe how many get away before they realized they've been injured fatally.

TRNation
10-06-11, 14:53
I was on a bus once and the driver run over a poor dog. He didn't even hit the brakes. You could literally hear the sound of bones cracking. It was horrible. I reported that asshole right away. :(

Hope that animal isn't too hurt.

sandygrimm
10-06-11, 14:59
yum roadkill!
Sorry for that :( I seen dead rabbits and deers, and foxes plenty on highways, it happens!

Catracoth
10-06-11, 15:16
I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

So I doubled back as soon as I could. I wanted to assess the situation and hopefully call for help for the little guy. But since I was in a very remote area, it took a half hour to get back and try to find him.

I'm confused...if you doubled back right away, how did it take half an hour to get to where you hit the animal? :confused:

A.JJ.G
10-06-11, 15:20
It's alright - it was unavoidable, and anyway, you just seemed to have clipped it. It's probably fine. :)

Avalon SARL
10-06-11, 15:26
That is sad,but yes it was not your fault.
You couldn't avoid it.
Just hope the animal is fine.

You can give a little charity :)

nick styger
10-06-11, 15:41
You have to just believe that he's alright. These wild animals are pretty hardy. If he could flee the scene I reckon he's alright. Same thing happened to me in England. Deer darted out of the dark at me and thumped into the side of the car. I was travelling very slowly though and he raced off into the darkness. It's a terrible feeling so I sympathise with you.

Solice
13-06-11, 04:31
I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

I'm confused...if you doubled back right away, how did it take half an hour to get to where you hit the animal? :confused:

Well, it's a long, lonely stretch of Wisc 41 just south of Fondue Loc. The turnoffs are far apart. Map (http://www.wistravel.com/map_of_wisconsin/)

I know animals are unaware, and it is really sad to see them die due to human activity. They suffer so much, just trying to survive, and cars compound there problem. I wish there was a way to keep them away from busy streets.

knightgames
13-06-11, 04:53
ooops.

dirrtytomboi
13-06-11, 05:26
I hit a rabbit once and had to pull over until I stopped crying...that was the first thing I had ever hit in my car...and hopefully it will be the last.

TRLegendLuver
13-06-11, 05:43
Awh, it's okay. It's not like you intentially meant to hit the animal, it was just a mistake. And when you live out in the country like I do, stuff happens. You can't always prevent a mishap from happening so it's okay. Most likely if it's hurt bad enough, it'll just die easily. But probably from what your saying, it sounds as if it was hit pretty fast and hard, meaning it probably died right on the spot, and that's better than it suffering. Don't worry, it just an accident but I understand what you're saying. :hug:

LNSNHGTDS
13-06-11, 09:14
Ouch :( , sorry to hear that. It wasn't really your fault though, it's whoever's fault didn't mind to put... I don't know... let's see... ROAD LIGHTS there. I don't think you could've hit the animal that much, I mean you weren't runninglike crazy, were you?

I'd pray for the animal but I don't really believe in God, Allah or Budhha or something similar so I'll just wish it's OK :hug: . Meanwhile try making positive thoughts, believe me it helps, even though I never do that(because I'm completely pessimistic :p ) I know that it does help :) .

SoupCard
13-06-11, 15:54
I hit an animal for the first time just last week, a bunny. He was in the middle of the road running across, away from my car, but then another car in the left lane scared him back towards me and I hit him. I pulled a U turn, only to see him lying there on the ground, twitching his leg like crazy. Pulled another U turn, then I pulled up next to him. Me and my friend didn't know what to do, so we just sat there for a minute.

Which wasn't really a good idea, because at one point he slowly turned his little head towards us and stared us down, so that was pretty sad. Then a car drove by a we freaked out thinking he hit the bunny, but he went right over him. Just as we let out a sigh of relief, another car comes, we look down and the bunny has moved up the road. We drive away after that.

jackles
13-06-11, 16:09
Ouch :( , sorry to hear that. It wasn't really your fault though, it's whoever's fault didn't mind to put... I don't know... let's see... ROAD LIGHTS there. I don't think you could've hit the animal that much, I mean you weren't runninglike crazy, were you?

Country lanes don't always have road lights though. But these things just happen, my son's nan had a deer hit their car so hard it buckled the bonnet. That ran off too. I have also seen a baby deer just sitting in the middle of a country lane in the dark, probably to scared too move. We just had to sit there until it moved on.....but if we had been going fast.......:o