PDA

View Full Version : When a forum member dies.

lord gaga
15-06-11, 00:34
Ok this has been bugging me alot lately and i would really want to know your veiw on this topic. If you or another active forum member dies how would we know? Do you have a plan? Is anyone else on the forums close so if something happens they would tell us? Would you just disappear? Personally since i'm not very popular on the forums i might just dissapear but if anyone noticies i'm gone after a month with no fearwell thread assume the worst. :( I hate talking of death but i must know if anyone else has thought of it.

Dennis's Mom
15-06-11, 00:37
Unless there was someone would would be trusted to know the truth, i.e., a known relative who was also a member, I'm not sure we would know. Folks come and go on internet forums. I'm not sure I would believe a random post that someone had died.

Tony9595
15-06-11, 00:38
One of my friends is in TRF so I'd expect him to inform my friends here :p

I'll ask something that has been bugging me for a while. What happened to aurora89? :(

lord gaga
15-06-11, 00:42
@At tony. Was she very active at the time? Tis the questions we hope to avoid.

trfanX34
15-06-11, 00:45
If you don't want to die I would recommend you to get off the Endurance.

Encore
15-06-11, 00:51
I guess no one would know.

But the real question is... would anyone even care?

SkyPuppy
15-06-11, 00:53
I guess no one would know.

i'm sure they would care.

Carbonek_0051
15-06-11, 00:54
Pessimist. :p

leglion
15-06-11, 00:56
i'm sure they would care.

I'm not even gonna lie. I'm gonna do what i do with the news when someone dies" "oh that's horrible!" *continues to munch happily on my Chinese food* unless i was close to the person, i would not dwell on it for more than a minute.

lord gaga
15-06-11, 01:00
Well if someone online who was someone you would chat with alot died you would care.

2kool4u
15-06-11, 01:01
I could name 3 people that i would care about if god forbid they passed on. As cruel as it is i don't really get close to people :vlol:

leglion
15-06-11, 01:03
Well if someone online who was someone you would chat with alot died you would care.

For like... 12 minutes. Life must go on. Death is a gift, not a curse, why be sad for them?

SkyPuppy
15-06-11, 01:04
For like... 12 minutes. Life must go on. Death is a gift, not a curse, why be sad for them?

if i ever saw you say that after one of my friends died, or one of my pets, then i'm sorry, but i think i would have to run you over.

leglion
15-06-11, 01:06
if i ever saw you say that after one of my friends died, or one of my pets, then i'm sorry, but i think i would have to run you over.

... *breathes slowly* *counts backwards from 100*

voltz
Can I film it for lutz before I turn you in? :)

TRULuverzz
well if you happen to have TRF members on facebook and then you go on one of the TRF'ers Facebook and their friends start posting R.I.P with some sympathetic comment about god taking an angel away from us back to heaven where he/she belongs and so on, then thats how you know a TRF member died. and this is why we call Facebook Baitbook, people find things out easily. :)

TheRCroft
15-06-11, 01:07
You will all know when I'm dead if I am not online for more than 2 weeks without warning.

SkyPuppy
15-06-11, 01:07

sure. ;D

Legend of Lara
15-06-11, 01:09

Lutz?

http://i.imgur.com/eF5Uy.jpg

That's Lutz from 30 Rock.

The Great Chi
15-06-11, 01:10
If you believe in the reincarnation theory that you die, then drink the waters of forgetfulness, to be born again, then you can always come back as a new member, plus you get to play all these wonderful tomb raider games again, for the first time :D

Personal note: I must remember not to drink that water again, DOH :hea:

Oh, and if I die while on here, please do not be offended if I do not tell you ..... :p

SkyPuppy
15-06-11, 01:10
I would be sooooooooo upset if my prettiest and bestest friend, SkyPuppy died. :'(

aww... i would be, too. ;_;

voltz
15-06-11, 01:11
Lutz?

http://i.imgur.com/eF5Uy.jpg

That's Lutz from 30 Rock.

*waves hand* Those are not the droids you are looking for....

The Great Chi
15-06-11, 01:20
This somehow reminds me of the Monty Phython scene in film 'The Holy Grail', when they are all in the 'cave of the beast' and find a deep chiseled message in the rock, where to find the holy grail at ....

The castle of Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !

where the man who used the chisel died, but just had the time to chisel Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! before he fell :vlol:

At least they knew he had died :p

KyleCroft
15-06-11, 01:35
aww... i would be, too. ;_;

If you were dead you wouldn't have the capacity to feel emotions.

Sorry :o :p

Lara Croft!
15-06-11, 02:05
If you were dead you wouldn't have the capacity to feel emotions.

Sorry :o :p

Υou never know...

Mikky
15-06-11, 04:58
I have thought this through numerous times actually. Don't ask why. :pi:

Basically, on my suicide note ('m not saying that's how I would die, but it IS the most likely scenario :ton: ), I would write my Username and Password for TRF and write, "Let those lovely bastards know that I'm dead. See ya! ^_^"

So, yeah. If I don't plan my death, someone on here will most likely read it Facebook, and they'll let everyone else know.

Perfect plans. :D

WWETombRaider
15-06-11, 06:04
:confused::confused:

Can't we all just have happy thoughts and put death aside??

scoopy_loopy
15-06-11, 06:10
I'm not sure anyone would know if it was a sudden death, anyone I talk to often enough would probably note my absence and wonder where I went...

Mikky
15-06-11, 06:22

Yeah, and we could all skip around in flower fields and ride unicorns. :D

WWETombRaider
15-06-11, 06:52
Yeah, and we could all skip around in flower fields and ride unicorns. :D

:vlol: Sounds fun.

lara c. fan
15-06-11, 07:02
You will all know when I'm dead if I am not online for more than 2 weeks without warning.

There's a lot of reasons you could leave suddenly for more than 2 weeks.

KC Mraz
15-06-11, 07:04
I thought about that once too, actually. The solution I found is saving my passwords in a text document for people to discover, along with: "these people need to know I passed. If I died in an uninteresting way then feel free of enhancing the truth". I guess.

Basically, on my suicide note ('m not saying that's how I would die, but it IS the most likely scenario :ton: ),

Say what. There are phone lines for that.

Mikky
15-06-11, 07:05
Say what. There are phone lines for that.

I was partially joking. And I tend to think realistically. :p

Snazabaz
15-06-11, 08:23
I guess we wouldn't know. However, if I knew I was gonna die like, due to some life threatening disease or something, I wouldn't exactly go and TELL the whole forum :/. That would be weird. Just the few people I'm close to and leave the forums out of it. But that's just me :D

lord gaga
15-06-11, 09:15
^what if it is a sudden death.

Ikas90
15-06-11, 09:34
This topic depresses me and it's the thing I'm most afraid of.

Like someone else has already said, I'm pretty sure we will know if we're particularly close to a certain member. I would go on their facebook, and if I saw any 'RIP' messages on their wall, I can be sure they've left this world.

And if I were to die, I would want my friends on here to know as well, so they don't wonder what happened to me.

The first members that come to mind on this topic are Thorn and aurora89. Thorn has been gone for more than 4 years (she said she's been through chemotherapy), and aurora for not that long, I can't remember what she had. I can only hope that when people die, they either go to a much better place, or are reborn, and don't simply cease to exist.

And I can guarantee that if I were to lose any of my friends on here, I'd have a very hard time.

Scurvy
15-06-11, 09:56
This topic depresses me and it's the thing I'm most afraid of.

Like someone else has already said, I'm pretty sure we will know if we're particularly close to a certain member. I would go on their facebook, and if I saw any 'RIP' messages on their wall, I can be sure they've left this world.

And if I were to die, I would want my friends on here to know as well, so they don't wonder what happened to me.

The first members that come to mind on this topic are Thorn and aurora89. Thorn has been gone for more than 4 years (she said she's been through chemotherapy), and aurora for not that long, I can't remember what she had. I can only hope that when people die, they either go to a much better place, or are reborn, and don't simply cease to exist.

And I can guarantee that if I were to lose any of my friends on here, I'd have a very hard time.

But what if they were playing pranks on people saying someones dead when there not :p

Ikas90
15-06-11, 11:28
But what if they were playing pranks on people saying someones dead when there not :p

I'm sure that many people wouldn't be in on such a prank. :p

I'd find it tasteless.

Snazabaz
15-06-11, 11:29

I'd find it tasteless.

It's happened at my school before, someone played a prank and everyone was like "omg so and so has died" and everyone believed it haha :p

Ikas90
15-06-11, 11:37
It's happened at my school before, someone played a prank and everyone was like "omg so and so has died" and everyone believed it haha :p

Wow, that's the kind of thing I'd get really angry about. :/

I'd probably never speak to that person again lol.

Paddy
15-06-11, 11:38

I'd find it tasteless.

Yeah but it does happen lol

Avalon SARL
15-06-11, 12:10
You need to have another relative or a very close friend to him/her and their family so they may inform you;

it is difficult to trust such claims

jajay119
15-06-11, 12:16
From my experience there is a lot of people on TRF who are now friends on Facebook, Twitter etc, so it wouldn't be hard to varify from a trusted source if someone had passed.

I imagine if id did prove to be true there would be a thread opened in the Birthday/new member etc section just to pay respect. But I doubt it would be a big thing for many. Like others have said we converse here a lot but members come and go, it's how forums work, very few of us are actual friends who it would gravely affect. Some are, most aren't.

larson n natla
15-06-11, 12:45
Well the likelihood is that we would never find out.

Whilst extremely morbid I can see your point, although if you were really close friends with this person I guess you'd be able to contact them outside of the forum. On social networks and such which would obviously be riddled with condolences if a person did pass away.

Encore
15-06-11, 12:49

Why is death so disturbing to talk about? I never understood this taboo..

Scurvy
15-06-11, 13:03
Probably because they fear death?

Encore
15-06-11, 13:07
Probably because they fear death?

Yes but that's what I meant. It's absolutely unavoidable, so I'm not sure why people fear it. But it's just my opinion.

Simochka
15-06-11, 13:09
Yes but that's what I meant. It's absolutely unavoidable, so I'm not sure why people fear it. But it's just my opinion.

I understand why some people fear it but I can't understand why people don't want to talk about it. It's as natural as eating and sleeping.

NRO.
15-06-11, 13:12
I understand why some people fear it but I can't understand why people don't want to talk about it. It's as natural as eating and sleeping.

Have you ever considered that it could be painful and uncomfortable?

Scurvy
15-06-11, 13:14

A vast majority of people do go through that just about daily :p

NRO.
15-06-11, 13:15
A vast majority of people do go through that just about daily :p

*facepalm*

Scurvy
15-06-11, 13:17
I don't know what to say

Rai
15-06-11, 13:27
There could be many reasons why someone isn't seen on a forum anymore, sadly, including death, but it could also mean they're simply too busy with life stuff. Unless someone close to them posts about it, then I doubt we'd know if a member had died. Sad, but true.

Simochka
15-06-11, 13:43

So can sleeping with a painful back be. And also choking while eating can be really painful.

Hell even falling while walking can be painful and that's not taboo.

Mr.Burns
15-06-11, 13:49
I'm going skydiving in a few weeks. So, if I do happen to go splat, I'll have left instructions to inform those that I give a rat's ass about. Even in death, I like to be considerate of my friends.

NRO.
15-06-11, 13:53
So can sleeping with a painful back be. And also choking while eating can be really painful.

Hell even falling while walking can be painful and that's not taboo.

You clearly haven't lost anyone that is dear to you.

Simochka
15-06-11, 14:01
You clearly haven't lost anyone that is dear to you.

I've lost all my grandparents, a cousin and two friends.

Two off them died while driving moped.
But I can still talk about death because I know everyone's going to die sooner or later. Better enjoy your life to the max so you can die happy.
And ofcourse I mean natural deaths cause a painful accident is something that everyone's fearing afaik

lance6439
15-06-11, 14:03
..move on.

Catracoth
15-06-11, 14:06
I'll ask something that has been bugging me for a while. What happened to aurora89? :(

Rachel doesn't really frequent the forums any longer. She's always on MSN or Facebook though. :)

Tony9595
15-06-11, 14:10
Thanks! Though we didn't really used to talk to each other, I liked reading her posts. Please let her know she's missed here :)

NRO.
15-06-11, 14:15
I've lost all my grandparents, a cousin and two friends.

Two off them died while driving moped.
But I can still talk about death because I know everyone's going to die sooner or later. Better enjoy your life to the max so you can die happy.
And ofcourse I mean natural deaths cause a painful accident is something that everyone's fearing afaik

Well, I don't understand why people wear a belt with holsters, so I'm not going to say anything else regarding this. :wve:

kooky
15-06-11, 15:41
Rachel doesn't really frequent the forums any longer. She's always on MSN or Facebook though. :)

Same here, I haven't been on TRF since February. I have academics to do from September to June, & I'm on Facebook just about everyday, well not really. :/

The Great Chi
15-06-11, 16:13
Why is death so disturbing to talk about? I never understood this taboo..Its a GRAVE subject :p

voltz
15-06-11, 21:59
So did anyone pass away yet?

aidanmalone
15-06-11, 22:03
Oh jeez this is a bummer to think about :o
Im sure there would be some way of knowing like news facebook etc but not all of the time =/
If i died i think a few people would know but thats about it :pi:

voltz
15-06-11, 22:28
It would be a shame in your case if anyone didn't even notice you were gone until the smell got out.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-06-11, 22:39
It would be a shame in your case if anyone didn't even notice you were gone until the smell got out.

Morbid jokes? Classy. :rolleyes:

igonge
15-06-11, 23:24
Well, my friends on here I've never actually met in real life so if I died it would just appear that I've gone inactive. I have a friend who knows I go on here so i dunno, I'll bring it up in conversation one day and If I died she could message all my PSN friends and what not :p

voltz
15-06-11, 23:50
Morbid jokes? Classy. :rolleyes:

Hey what did two cannibals say while they were eating a clown? "Does this taste funny to you?"

tampi
15-06-11, 23:53
Its a GRAVE subject :p

:vlol:

Ora Dagger
16-06-11, 00:44
I don't think anybody would know....:(

skylark1121
16-06-11, 02:19
It would be sad. Example: Oh look! I came across someones profile! Last activity: 13.5 years ago. :(

Wait. What if the forum got ghosts!! :eek:

IceColdLaraCroft
16-06-11, 02:25
When a forum member dies...

an angel of darkness gets their wings

skylark1121
16-06-11, 02:28
^ That's beautiful. :o

SoulReaver74
16-06-11, 07:06
I was absent from the forum for at least 18 months, and upon my return 3 or 4 of my friends here quickly noticed and responded, but to know that a member has died, i guess there is no way of knowing unless you are very close with people here and are in regular contact on another social website like facebook.