PDA

View Full Version : Any other vegetarians on here?

touchthesky
15-06-11, 17:11
Aside Hayley I've not heard any of you talking about it.

I recently decided to give up meat again, for my own reasons, and thus far it's been okay but I can see Quorn foods getting a bit boring. Any one care to share any good recipes or even recipe websites? Also, any one care to share the stuff that cannot be eaten, because I was sad to see I couldn't drink Crushem earlier. :ton:

This is NOT an attempt at a meat eaters vs non meat eaters thread.

Also, vitamins. I picked up a "vegetarian multi vit" from the supermarket for a quick fix before I get paid and can afford to go to an actual vitamin shop. Anyone any recomendations as to what to take?

Thanks!!

Spong
15-06-11, 17:15
Did you know that "vegetarian" doesn't originate from the word "vegetable"? People believe it originates from the word Latin word "vegetus", meaning lively or vigorous.

Anyway, I'm not a vegetarian. I like a good bit o' dead cow or pig to chew on :tmb:

touchthesky
15-06-11, 17:17
Lol, no I didn't know that..thanks for that random fact.

NRO.
15-06-11, 17:18
This is NOT an attempt at a meat eaters vs non meat eaters thread.

I'm going to quote this so it can stay here.

You post this on TRF and don't expect battles and drama? Wow, this is new.

(Meat eater here. *gets the hell out before she gets stabbed with a carrot*)

xXhayleyroxXx
15-06-11, 17:19
^ Why would there be drama over a diet?

Besides from moi ~ Micheal (FlotheMachine) I thinks.

Oh. And my sister Beth (BethLeanneXx)

Ikas90
15-06-11, 17:45
Carnivores are better than vegetarians.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL troll post LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

TRfan23
15-06-11, 17:48
Request Deletion.

WWETombRaider
15-06-11, 17:58
^

Same here, I'm Greek so I guess that would be pretty self-explanatory as to why :D

larson n natla
15-06-11, 17:59
Smooth picture. :pi:

I'm a omnivore, I do admire the willpower of vegetarians though. You guys will go through many inconveniences to stand up for your beliefs/opinions. :hug:

Cali
15-06-11, 18:17
Woooo I'm veggie :D all the way! Love ma nuts and berries and leaves.

*Recipes, umm..I tend to just have whatever my parents are having, but I get subtitutes. Quorn fillets in wraps though :O OMG. NOM! Also, I like the chicken style pieces. You can have some kind of stir fry with them. NOM. My absolute fave is the chicken tikka strips you can get. I love them so much :| and they just have to have 'chicken-style' in the names don't they? :pi:

And I'm supposed to have an iron tablet every day, but I don't bother. Naughty me :p

touchthesky
15-06-11, 18:35
I asked for recipes, not pictures of meat. Don't be dicks.

Stupid attempts at trolling are half the reason I barely come here.

Nausinous
15-06-11, 18:36
I'm a herbivore, no animal products what so ever :)

Recipes? I've replaced my pasta with Quinoa because it contains so much more nutritionally. It's a staple of most of my meals and tastes delicious. I can post a picture of one of my salads if you like :)

xXhayleyroxXx
15-06-11, 18:37

Urgh I know. Do you like pasta and rice? I sometimes add vegetables in/different sauces etc to stop dishes becoming bland xxx

Cali
15-06-11, 18:37
I'm a herbivore, no animal products what so ever :)

Is that veganism?

Nausinous
15-06-11, 18:38
Is that veganism?

It is but I prefer to just call myself a herbivore, makes me happy :p

Edit: Just to add fuel to the Carnivore vs. Herbivore war, how abouts some scientific facts bitches :ohn:

Are human beings anatomically more similar to natural carnivores or to natural herbivores? Let’s find out….

Intestinal tract length. Carnivorous animals have intestinal tracts that are 3-6x their body length, while herbivores have intestinal tracts 10-12x their body length. Human beings have the same intestinal tract ratio as herbivores.
Stomach acidity. Carnivores’ stomachs are 20x more acidic than the stomachs of herbivores. Human stomach acidity matches that of herbivores.
Saliva. The saliva of carnivores is acidic. The saliva of herbivores is alkaline, which helps pre-digest plant foods. Human saliva is alkaline.
Shape of intestines. Carnivore bowels are smooth, shaped like a pipe, so meat passes through quickly — they don’t have bumps or pockets. Herbivore bowels are bumpy and pouch-like with lots of pockets, like a windy mountain road, so plant foods pass through slowly for optimal nutrient absorption. Human bowels have the same characteristics as those of herbivores.
Fiber. Carnivores don’t require fiber to help move food through their short and smooth digestive tracts. Herbivores require dietary fiber to move food through their long and bumpy digestive tracts, to prevent the bowels from becoming clogged with rotting food. Humans have the same requirement as herbivores.
Cholesterol. Cholesterol is not a problem for a carnivore’s digestive system. A carnivore such as a cat can handle a high-cholesterol diet without negative health consequences. A human cannot. Humans have zero dietary need for cholesterol because our bodies manufacture all we need. Cholesterol is only found in animal foods, never in plant foods. A plant-based diet is by definition cholesterol-free.
Claws and teeth. Carnivores have claws, sharp front teeth capable of subduing prey, and no flat molars for chewing. Herbivores have no claws or sharp front teeth capable of subduing prey, but they have flat molars for chewing. Humans have the same characteristics as herbivores.
But aren’t humans anatomically suited to be omnivores?

Nope. We don’t anatomically match up with omnivorous animals anymore than we do with carnivorous ones. Omnivores are more similar to carnivores than they are to herbivores. For a more detailed summary table that compares the properties of carnivores, herbivores, and omnivores side by side, see this page:
Comparative Anatomy & Taxonomy

The link above also debunks the opportunistic feeder theory, which states that because humans can eat like omnivores, that we must therefore be omnivores. And this is of course false because mere behavior doesn’t indicate suitability. There are plenty of things we can do as a species that would threaten our survival if we all considered them suitable default behavior, such as shooting each other, lobbing hand grenades, or sending spam.

touchthesky
15-06-11, 18:44
Urgh I know. Do you like pasta and rice? I sometimes add vegetables in/different sauces etc to stop dishes becoming bland xxx

Yeah I like pasta and rice.

Considered trying to make a rissoto but dunno wtf to put in it aside quorn chicken :p

Quorns ok atm but I'm worried by June 25th I'm gonna be sick fed up of it.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-06-11, 18:47
Yeah I like pasta and rice.

Considered trying to make a rissoto but dunno wtf to put in it aside quorn chicken :p

Quorns ok atm but I'm worried by June 25th I'm gonna be sick fed up of it.

hmmm....
I have to say, I'm pretty sick of Quorn. There's theres things I get from tescos called escalopes :

http://www.vegsocapproved.com/db/imgs/Marlow/w/gru_esc.jpg

Tastes like cheesy chicken <3

Simochka
15-06-11, 18:47
I've been a vegetarian for 3 years now :D
People think I became a vegetarian so I could loose weight but if anything I've gained weight cause I eat more veg fast food now :p

And you shouldn't need to eat extra vitamins as long as you replace your meat with healthy things like beans etc...

I became a vegetarian because my guinea pigs. Dunno why though. I've always been an animal lover but guinea pigs are something special :p

hmmm....
I have to say, I'm pretty sick of Quorn. There's theres things I get from tescos called escalopes :

http://www.vegsocapproved.com/db/imgs/Marlow/w/gru_esc.jpg

Tastes like cheesy chicken <3

I'm pretty sick of quorn too. It seems like that's all you get in school when you are a vegetarian :p

trfanX34
15-06-11, 18:55
Nope, Omnivore here :wve:

[IMG]http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/raw-meat-1.jpg[/IMG

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooh my gawd! :cln:
Pretty obvious I'm not vegetarian. I was once though.

Cali
15-06-11, 18:56
It is but I prefer to just call myself a herbivore, makes me happy :p

Ooooh right. Is it hard having such a strict diet? I wanted to become one, but my mum wouldn't let me because she said I was a rubbish vegetarian (I don't get enough iron etc) and that it would just be too much cutting down on food.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-06-11, 18:58
I'm pretty sick of quorn too. It seems like that's all you get in school when you are a vegetarian :p

They've never ever served Quorn in any of my schools 0_o
They would only serve meat </3

Simochka
15-06-11, 19:01
They've never ever served Quorn in any of my schools 0_o
They would only serve meat </3

That's all I get in scool:p people who eat meat gets all kinds of different food while vegetarians get quorn every single day.

Nausinous
15-06-11, 19:02
Ooooh right. Is it hard having such a strict diet? I wanted to become one, but my mum wouldn't let me because she said I was a rubbish vegetarian (I don't get enough iron etc) and that it would just be too much cutting down on food.

I didn't find it hard, I just keep looking at the back of packets to check there was no dairy, animal gelatin or meat content. Plus I bought Veganism for Dummies which helped a ton. It tells you guideline daily amounts for each nutrient you need to eat it in a day and where to get them from, I'd highly recommend it if you want to learn more about it. I love this diet!

That's all I get in scool:p people who eat meat gets all kind of different foods while vegetarians get quorn every single day.

See I don't understand why people become Vegan/Vegetarian and don't educate themselves on all the different food options. You don't have to eat quorn, I refuse to touch the stuff. Try Quinoa, it gives you a lot of protein, here is some I made with cashew nuts and dates :wve:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/225213_10150297299694852_629014851_9697432_3506839 _n.jpg

Cali
15-06-11, 19:06
I didn't find it hard, I just keep looking at the back of packets to check there was no dairy, animal gelatin or meat content. Plus I bought Veganism for Dummies which helped a ton. It tells you guideline daily amounts for each nutrient you need to eat it in a day and where to get them from, I'd highly recommend it if you want to learn more about it. I love this diet!

Ohhh right. Well then it's only dairy things I would have to start looking for as well. I bought soya milk for a while, but my parents drunk it then complained it was horrible, when I liked it? I never understood the logic behind them doing that xD. Thanks I'll take a note of that for the future! I'll probably wait until I move out, then I will be able to decide what I buy. It's just, there's the whole 'vegan shoes' etc thingy. I'm not keen on that part of the lifestyle. I'm just more about the food side. I don't think I could really buy a non-leather saddle and bridle JUST to ride my horse.

Joely-Moley
15-06-11, 19:08

It's the exact reason I tend to avoid any threads to do with here vegetarianism.

That's good you decided to give it another go. I've been vegetarian since I was 11 and only recently have I tried to actually get into cooking properly. I've been making a lot of spinach dishes latley.

I made a lasagne the other day using a lot of vegetables and spinach and it was really good.

lara c. fan
15-06-11, 19:10
Why the "herbivore vs carnivore" thing? Aren't humans naturally omnivores? D:

EDIT: Oh, I see now. Well, what we are or are not suited for seems to have become thrown away a very long time ago, at least.

Simochka
15-06-11, 19:10
See I don't understand why people become Vegan/Vegetarian and don't educate themselves on all the different food options. You don't have to eat quorn, I refuse to touch the stuff. Try Quinoa, it gives you a lot of protein, here is some I made with cashew nuts and dates :wve:
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/225213_10150297299694852_629014851_9697432_3506839 _n.jpg[/IMG]

At home I have all kinds of food. I rarely eat quorn at home at all.

I'm not a huge fan of dates but it looks good. with mushrooms it would be perfect for me :D

I made a lasagne the other day using a lot of vegetables and spinach and it was really good.

I love veggie lasagne. I make it quite often cause I never get tired of it :p
IMO the meat only ruins it as with most dishes (is dish right word? :p)

star-dust
15-06-11, 19:16
I'm a veggie!! I have been a vegetatian for just over a year (14 months) and I did it once before for 7 months. When I stopped after the 7 months and started eating meat again it tasted so disgusting and just the thought of it was enough to not make me touch it. I never really liked meat to begin with. It's a lifestyle that I intend to keep. I love it, more fruits and veggies for me. :D

I have never heard of Quorn before... not sure if it is sold in Canada. We have a brand called Yves here that has some fake versions of stuff... but I know I have to be careful with that brand because they sometimes sneak animal products into their own products. Which makes it hard because here I am eating something that I think is helping and it doesn't.

One day I think I would like to move towards veganism... But I think I would have to slowly transition myself into that lifestyle and definately research it a lot more.

Catracoth
15-06-11, 20:21
I was a vegetarian for three years during my middle school years; it was a very rewarding time.

erosan
15-06-11, 20:51
I'm a vegetarian, have been for 3 years and I love it! Never going back to meat.

touchthesky
15-06-11, 20:54
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/248373_10150653935020109_887575108_18979395_317722 9_n.jpg

Nom! Tbh, if someone had given me that and not told me it wasn't meat I wouldn't have known the difference. And that's no joke.

WillG
15-06-11, 21:04
I eat chicken but not pork or beef etc. like red meats.

lara c. fan
15-06-11, 21:06
If I might be so bold, why did the vegetarians in here choose to be vegetarian?

Nausinous
15-06-11, 21:11

Moral and scientific reasons. Number one, I don't believe it is our right to take any living creatures life, be it human or animal. Number two, there are more negative side effects of eating meat than there are of eating vegetables. Lastly, number 3, our bodies were designed to be herbivores. Evidence below.

Are human beings anatomically more similar to natural carnivores or to natural herbivores? Let’s find out….

Intestinal tract length. Carnivorous animals have intestinal tracts that are 3-6x their body length, while herbivores have intestinal tracts 10-12x their body length. Human beings have the same intestinal tract ratio as herbivores.
Stomach acidity. Carnivores’ stomachs are 20x more acidic than the stomachs of herbivores. Human stomach acidity matches that of herbivores.
Saliva. The saliva of carnivores is acidic. The saliva of herbivores is alkaline, which helps pre-digest plant foods. Human saliva is alkaline.
Shape of intestines. Carnivore bowels are smooth, shaped like a pipe, so meat passes through quickly — they don’t have bumps or pockets. Herbivore bowels are bumpy and pouch-like with lots of pockets, like a windy mountain road, so plant foods pass through slowly for optimal nutrient absorption. Human bowels have the same characteristics as those of herbivores.
Fiber. Carnivores don’t require fiber to help move food through their short and smooth digestive tracts. Herbivores require dietary fiber to move food through their long and bumpy digestive tracts, to prevent the bowels from becoming clogged with rotting food. Humans have the same requirement as herbivores.
Cholesterol. Cholesterol is not a problem for a carnivore’s digestive system. A carnivore such as a cat can handle a high-cholesterol diet without negative health consequences. A human cannot. Humans have zero dietary need for cholesterol because our bodies manufacture all we need. Cholesterol is only found in animal foods, never in plant foods. A plant-based diet is by definition cholesterol-free.
Claws and teeth. Carnivores have claws, sharp front teeth capable of subduing prey, and no flat molars for chewing. Herbivores have no claws or sharp front teeth capable of subduing prey, but they have flat molars for chewing. Humans have the same characteristics as herbivores.
But aren’t humans anatomically suited to be omnivores?

Nope. We don’t anatomically match up with omnivorous animals anymore than we do with carnivorous ones. Omnivores are more similar to carnivores than they are to herbivores. For a more detailed summary table that compares the properties of carnivores, herbivores, and omnivores side by side, see this page:
Comparative Anatomy & Taxonomy

The link above also debunks the opportunistic feeder theory, which states that because humans can eat like omnivores, that we must therefore be omnivores. And this is of course false because mere behavior doesn’t indicate suitability. There are plenty of things we can do as a species that would threaten our survival if we all considered them suitable default behavior, such as shooting each other, lobbing hand grenades, or sending spam.

mind
15-06-11, 21:54
I am semi-vegetarian. I don't eat read meat.

But anthropologically speaking, meat made us human. It was essential in evolution, more precisely in brain growth.
Plus our nearest relatives (anthropoid primates like chimpanzees) are ominivores and even hunt in packs.

TippingWater
15-06-11, 21:56

But anthropologically speaking, meat made us human. It was essential in evolution, more precisely in brain growth.
Plus our nearest relatives (anthropoid primates like chimpanzees) are ominivores and even hunt in packs.

:tmb: The voice of reason . I tried being vegetarian but I settled with just eating white meat .

touchthesky
15-06-11, 22:01

Personally, because I can't go out and save animals every day and come home and eat them.

It'd feel silly.

This is day 4 of vegetarianism btw.

lara c. fan
15-06-11, 22:10
Moral and scientific reasons. Number one, I don't believe it is our right to take any living creatures life, be it human or animal. Number two, there are more negative side effects of eating meat than there are of eating vegetables. Lastly, number 3, our bodies were designed to be herbivores. Evidence below.

To me it sounds more like leftovers from when plants made up a large proportion of our diet. We eventually developed into into meat, but we had weapons, so claws and such weren't really needed. Hell, vegetables/plants were a large part of the diet until a few hundred years ago, really, so it's not hard to see why that would stay.

Plus, regarding no. 1, do man-eating animals have the right to take our lives?

xXhayleyroxXx
15-06-11, 22:22

I don't think its right for me to eat meat when I love animals so much. I became vegetarian when I was 7 when I was at a petting zoo and eating a bacon sarnie. I asked what bacon was and my mum told me. So I asked if she meant pigs like the ones I'd just seen and she said yes, so I told her I would never eat meat again and I didn't :p I researched it properly at a later age and realised my 7 year old self had made a wise decision ^.^

EDIT: woo, 12 years this year! <3 Thats a long time without meat 0_o

voltz
15-06-11, 22:33
Do fish or seafood fit in with a vegan's diet or are you folks tossing out "GO TO HELL" wishcards for those? :)

touchthesky
15-06-11, 22:35
Do fish or seafood fit in with a vegan's diet or are you folks tossing out "GO TO HELL" wishcards for those? :)

Vegans eat no animal products whatsoever. They also don't wear leather.

So fish cannot be consumed.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-06-11, 22:35

No, vegans don't consume any animal product. Vegetarians just don't eat meat but we have milk and dairy products and peskitarians eat fish but not other meats.

Dark Lugia 2
15-06-11, 23:04
I've never heard of Pescetarianism, whats the goal there? Its ok to eat fish but not animals? :S

Nausinous
15-06-11, 23:05

It may have been vital to our physical development when we weren't intelligent enough to make any alternative decisions but now we have the knowledge that we can get all the nutrients that meat contains from vegetables.

To me it sounds more like leftovers from when plants made up a large proportion of our diet. We eventually developed into into meat, but we had weapons, so claws and such weren't really needed. Hell, vegetables/plants were a large part of the diet until a few hundred years ago, really, so it's not hard to see why that would stay.

Plus, regarding no. 1, do man-eating animals have the right to take our lives?

Biologically we are designed like herbivores, there is no doubt about that unless you fancy just ignoring the scientific evidence.

Animals don't have the consciousness/intelligence we do, to know it's morally wrong to take a life.

Joely-Moley
15-06-11, 23:09

I became after I realised that the meat I was eating was an actual animal. I didn't realise that chicken was an actual chicken. (I was quite a stupid kid :o) After that I just couldn't bring myself to eat it.

I've been following a vegan diet for the past month and it has been surprisingly a lot easier than I expected. I don't think I'm at the stage that I can say that I'm vegan yet, but I think I'm going to keep it up.

touchthesky
15-06-11, 23:20
I became after I realised that the meat I was eating was an actual animal. I didn't realise that chicken was an actual chicken. (I was quite a stupid kid :o) After that I just couldn't bring myself to eat it.

I've been following a vegan diet for the past month and it has been surprisingly a lot easier than I expected. I don't think I'm at the stage that I can say that I'm vegan yet, but I think I'm going to keep it up.

May I ask what you are eating :)? Not for anything other then pure curiosity! It's not often you come across a vegan. :o

lara c. fan
15-06-11, 23:24
1.)Biologically we are designed like herbivores, there is no doubt about that unless you fancy just ignoring the scientific evidence.

2.)Animals don't have the consciousness/intelligence we do, to know it's morally wrong to take a life.

1.)Maybe we were from the start, but humanity as a race has changed since its creation. The way we live is changing rapidly, so it could be that we start to develop more traits evident of becoming omnivorous. As it stands, we were eating a main diet of vegetables for a long time, so our bodies would have obviously begun with the traits of herbivores. Evolution takes one hell of a long time, so I guess it's an argument that can't be settled for, well, ages.

2.) That's not what I was asking, really. It's related to what I was asking, but not answering it directly.

Joely-Moley
15-06-11, 23:37
May I ask what you are eating :)? Not for anything other then pure curiosity! It's not often you come across a vegan. :o

Yeah sure. :) I've been eating a lot of stir-frys. I've found This (http://www.simpleveganrecipes.co.uk/) site really useful for some recipes.

The hardest thing for me was giving up milk in my coffee. :p I just take it black now and if I'm at starbucks or something I'll get it with soy and I honestly can't taste any difference.

The Great Chi
15-06-11, 23:45
but I can see Quorn foods getting a bit boring. Quarn verses meat, which is the frankenstien food :mis:

Quarn..... Its a Mycoprotein, means protein from fungi. It can be used as part of any meal, particularly vegetarian. The main mycoprotein on sale in Europe and the USA is called Quorn. It was originally developed as a food source to combat food shortages.

A fungus called Fusarium venenatum is the main source of mycoprotein. The fungus is grown in vats using glucose syrup as food. This Fusarium sp. respires aerobically, so for it to grow at an optimum rate, it is supplied with oxygen. To make protein, nitrogen (in the form of ammonia) is added, and vitamins and minerals are needed to support growth. The vat is kept at a constant temperature, also optimized for growth; The fungus can double its mass every five hours.

The fermentation vat is filled with the growth medium, and then inoculated with the mould. When the desired amount of mycoprotein has been created, the growth medium is drawn off from a tap at the bottom of the fermenter. The mycoprotein is separated and purified. It is a pale yellow solid with a faint taste of mushrooms. Different flavours and tastes can be added to the mycoprotein to add variety.

Meat..... Tasty :D

voltz
15-06-11, 23:45
I wasn't so sure fish was also something vegs were against. Tonight I was planning on getting some diced crab meat for my salads since I really enjoy how it blends in. Usually there's a good deal of proteins I could have from it which I couldn't get from other foods.

I'm also wondering what's the substitute you use for milk when it comes to calcium?

Nausinous
16-06-11, 01:42
I wasn't so sure fish was also something vegs were against. Tonight I was planning on getting some diced crab meat for my salads since I really enjoy how it blends in. Usually there's a good deal of proteins I could have from it which I couldn't get from other foods.

I'm also wondering what's the substitute you use for milk when it comes to calcium?

Sy milk unsweetened :)

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 15:26
I've never heard of Pescetarianism, whats the goal there? Its ok to eat fish but not animals? :S

Pretty much.

xLara_Nathanx
16-06-11, 15:30
I can't think of a day of me not eating meat. I cant do without! Lol, but i respect people who are vegetarian. Its something I couldnt do

star-dust
16-06-11, 16:11

I chose to be a vegetarian after I watched this video on slaughter houses... All I could do was cry afterwards and then there was a 30 day vegetarian challenge, so I did it and just kept going for the 7 months. Then I started to slowly eat meat again after accidently eating tuna one day. I found my taste for meat started to change... I don't know about anyone else, but has anyone else gone vegetarian then tried meat again and hated it? That's what happened to me. Then I remembered why I went vegetarian the first time and started to research it properly and I'm 14 months with being a veggie. :) I don't want to eat something that has every right to live, that when it did lived it was treated inhumanely. I love animals and I don't want to eat them.

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 16:14
I chose to be a vegetarian after I watched this video on slaughter houses... All I could do was cry afterwards and then there was a 30 day vegetarian challenge, so I did it and just kept going for the 7 months. Then I started to slowly eat meat again after accidently eating tuna one day. I found my taste for meat started to change... I don't know about anyone else, but has anyone else gone vegetarian then tried meat again and hated it? That's what happened to me. Then I remembered why I went vegetarian the first time and started to research it properly and I'm 14 months with being a veggie. :) I don't want to eat something that has every right to live, that when it did lived it was treated inhumanely. I love animals and I don't want to eat them.

I didn't go back but my step mum fed me meat on purpose once and I threw up xD Its too rich for me now xxxxx

star-dust
16-06-11, 16:19
I didn't go back but my step mum fed me meat on purpose once and I threw up xD Its too rich for me now xxxxx

Yeah, I think it's because our bodies aren't designed to digest meat and then we go off of it your body goes back to the way it should be. Then we eat it and it's so hard on our body's. I found my stomach would churn a lot.

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 16:21
Yeah, I think it's because our bodies aren't designed to digest meat and then we go off of it your body goes back to the way it should be. Then we eat it and it's so hard on our body's. I found my stomach would churn a lot.

We use our appendix more xD apparently. Random fact.

star-dust
16-06-11, 16:22
We use our appendix more xD apparently. Random fact.

Interesting, I always thought our little appendix had no function. :( :ton:

Your_Envy*
16-06-11, 16:22
I eat meat, but I love vegetables way more. If I had to choose, vegetables all around! :cln: I didn't eat meat in the beginning of High school, I don't know why. I never considered myself as a vegetarian, I just didn't feel like eating it. I am extremely picky when it comes to meat now, because I am not fond of the taste so much. If I eat too much of any sort of meat, I feel like throwing up - taste is good at the beginning, I like it, but after a while I can't eat it anymore. I guess my body is not used to it. :D

I ate all sorts of meat when I was little though, so I don't know what changed during the "growing up" part. I freakin' LOVE vegetables though. I can eat them everyday, all the time, 24/7, ALL of them. <3

touchthesky
16-06-11, 16:24
I went out for my first outside meal since becoming a vegetarian today.

Twas easier then i thought.

Lentil soup.
Mac n cheese.
Fudge cake.

:)

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 16:24
Interesting, I always thought our little appendix had no function. :( :ton:

It doesn't in meat eaters -- it helps digest fibre in foliage, I do believe xD Tiz what my biology teacher said anyway, and he mentioned human vegetarians x

@Vicky ~ Good :D It is easy if you ignore the meat cravings. The only thing you won't have is meat and its byproducts -- you have loads of options http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sLo_heart.gif And I love fudge cake xD

star-dust
16-06-11, 16:27
Thinking about veganism... Someone once brought up a good point to me. Being a vegan you eat no animal products at all. But, if you think about it, plants do not produce fruit/vegetables without being pollinated first. While pollination can be done by the wind, a vast portion of pollination is done by other organisms (insects), so in reality, plants that are pollinated by organisms are animal by products?

It doesn't in meat eaters -- it helps digest fibre in foliage, I do believe xD Tiz what my biology teacher said anyway, and he mentioned human vegetarians x

@Vicky ~ Good :D It is easy if you ignore the meat cravings. The only thing you won't have is meat and its byproducts -- you have loads of options http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sLo_heart.gif And I love fudge cake xD

Good ole, appendix. :)

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 16:29
Thinking about veganism... Someone once brought up a good point to me. Being a vegan you eat no animal products at all. But, if you think about it, plants do not produce fruit/vegetables without being pollinated first. While pollination can be done by the wind, a vast portion of pollination is done by other organisms (insects), so in reality, plants that are pollinated by organisms are animal by products?

Good ole, appendix. :)

Thats a good point... do they eat honey?
And yes, I love my appendix <3

Chocola teapot
16-06-11, 16:29
I love too many kinds of food that contain meat to ever be a vegetarian.

I remember seeing the way Chickens were treated in factories though, It was so upsetting.

That nearly turned me off.

I also don't like Pork or Lamb at all. D:

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 16:34
I love too many kinds of food that contain meat to ever be a vegetarian.

I remember seeing the way Chickens were treated in factories though, It was so upsetting.

That nearly turned me off.

I also don't like Pork or Lamb at all. D:

Do you eat welfare-raised chicken? D: xx

Chocola teapot
16-06-11, 16:36
We often have Free Range Eggs and Chicken.

Not always though, we should put more effort into that.

lara c. fan
16-06-11, 16:38
I thought the appendix was for poison or something. :p

Dark Lugia 2
16-06-11, 16:39
I thougt the appendix doesnt help us at all anymore other than aid blood filteration a bit? :S It just looks so functionless. I dont know anything about it though, I guess. This is just curiosity btw :p

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/image_article_collections/anatomy_pages/appendix3.jpg

Pretty much.

What do you think about pescetarianism? I dont think it makes sense because fish are living creatures too (obviously :p)

ryan91
16-06-11, 16:40
I'm totally NOT a vegetarian. I eat all those poor animals.

Chocola teapot
16-06-11, 16:40

We eat the Animals which ate the Crops which were treated with Pesticides and Fertilizers. :p

Minty Mouth
16-06-11, 16:43

It used to digest certain plant stuff. Grass, I think.

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 16:44
I thougt the appendix doesnt help us at all anymore other than aid blood filteration a bit? :S It just looks so functionless. I dont know anything about it though, I guess. This is just curiosity btw :p

What do you think about pescetarianism? I dont think it makes sense because fish are living creatures too (obviously :p)

I have no idea, I'm just repeating what I was told xD I've never bothered to research it.

And Umm, I dunno. I wouldn't be one. I personally don't understand it xD

Dark Lugia 2
16-06-11, 16:44
Thats what I thought/know about it too, that it had a function once and through evolution it became less useful/functionless as we adapted to eating meat?

@ Hayley haha fair enough, it was silly of me to ask, I doubt many people know much about the appendix haha!

Yeah I ont understand it either. :p Sounds like a way of saying 'I wont eat animals' whilst trying to get the benefits of fish

lara c. fan
16-06-11, 16:45
We eat the Animals which ate the Crops which were treated with Pesticides and Fertilizers. :p

And people that have had appendicitis (And as such had their appendix removed) have lived perfectly normal lives while eating that same meat. Your point? :p

Jake: Ah, I see. Learn a new thing everyday, I guess.

Chocola teapot
16-06-11, 16:46
I dunno, I Eat 'dat Meat.

Just assuming that was what Hayley may have been getting at. :p

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 16:52
@ Hayley haha fair enough, it was silly of me to ask, I doubt many people know much about the appendix haha!

Yeah I ont understand it either. :p Sounds like a way of saying 'I wont eat animals' whilst trying to get the benefits of fish
xD
And yeah. They way fish are killed is pretty terrible (mass production) so many people who don't eat meat for ethics are full on veggies, and don't eat fish. Most pescetarians are people who don't like the taste of red meat, I think.

I dunno, I Eat 'dat Meat.

Just assuming that was what Hayley may have been getting at. :p

Well, partly xD

star-dust
16-06-11, 18:19
Thats a good point... do they eat honey?
And yes, I love my appendix <3

No, vegans don't eat honey.
w00, appendix! It reminds me of Madeline... :p

xD
And yeah. They way fish are killed is pretty terrible (mass production) so many people who don't eat meat for ethics are full on veggies, and don't eat fish. Most pescetarians are people who don't like the taste of red meat, I think.

Well, partly xD

The way they catch the fish too, ruins our oceans.
I know in some places they eat dolphins... I saw this video of this dolphin being killed and it was one of the most disturbing things I ever saw. Which, was the whole point because it was a video showing you why and how things are killed for our meat eating ways. :(

Cali
16-06-11, 18:31
I hate it when I get picked on for being vegetarian :( People always try start arguments with me to battle it out and try to prove that not eating meat is pointless. I wish my friends and family would just leave me to my own eating habits. It's not like it's affecting them in anyway...

star-dust
16-06-11, 18:38
I hate it when I get picked on for being vegetarian :( People always try start arguments with me to battle it out and try to prove that not eating meat is pointless. I wish my friends and family would just leave me to my own eating habits. It's not like it's affecting them in anyway...

My aunt has this really good friend that would invite us over for dinner and she stopped inviting me because I wouldn't eat any of the meat.

:hug:

TRhalloween
16-06-11, 18:42

+1

I've been a vegetarian for a few years now. :)

EmeraldFields
16-06-11, 18:44
I'm not 100% vegetarian, but I only eat chicken and fish, so end up eating a lot of "vegetarian" stuff. :p

Cali
16-06-11, 18:50
My aunt has this really good friend that would invite us over for dinner and she stopped inviting me because I wouldn't eat any of the meat.

Oh my god HAHA that's so mean!! Geesh... It's not like we're harming anyone else :( You wouldn't stop inviting someone because they were diabetic or lactose intolerant... Maybe we get picked on because it's our choice?

star-dust
16-06-11, 18:51
Oh my god HAHA that's so mean!! Geesh... It's not like we're harming anyone else :( You wouldn't stop inviting someone because they were diabetic or lactose intolerant... Maybe we get picked on because it's our choice?

Yeah, exactly. And it's not like I pushed the no meat eating on them, which I don't get. If someone comes over to my house and their a meat eater, I might still make them meat (although I hate cooking it), I just don't eat it myself as it's a personal choice. I just don't think people understand it. :o

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 18:55
No, vegans don't eat honey.
w00, appendix! It reminds me of Madeline... :p

The way they catch the fish too, ruins our oceans.
I know in some places they eat dolphins... I saw this video of this dolphin being killed and it was one of the most disturbing things I ever saw. Which, was the whole point because it was a video showing you why and how things are killed for our meat eating ways. :(

Hmmm....

And yeah definately, I'd seen Dolphins been killed too. Have you see 'The Cove' ? xxxxx

star-dust
16-06-11, 18:56
Hmmm....

And yeah definately, I'd seen Dolphins been killed too. Have you see 'The Cove' ? xxxxx

Is it a movie? I've never seen it...

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 18:58
Is it a movie? I've never seen it...

Its like a mocumentary thingy -- its on Youtube. Its so horrible :( xxxxxxxx

star-dust
16-06-11, 18:59
Its like a mocumentary thingy -- its on Youtube. Its so horrible :( xxxxxxxx

I don't know what the title of the one I saw.
The video I first inititally watched was called "Meat your Meet". Have you ever seen it?

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 19:04
The video I first inititally watched was called "Meat your Meet". Have you ever seen it?

Nah :( I never watch things like that because I just cry xxxxxxxxxxxxx

star-dust
16-06-11, 19:05
Nah :( I never watch things like that because I just cry xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah, I watched it once and never again. Once you see it, it's permanently embedded your memory.

WWETombRaider
16-06-11, 19:11

Wasn't that a documentary by PETA??

xXhayleyroxXx
Yeah, I watched it once and never again. Once you see it, it's permanently embedded your memory.

I know :( I was offered a trip to a slaughterhouse when we were doing the ethical module of my course and I refused :(

star-dust
Wasn't that a documentary by PETA??

I'm pretty sure, yeah.

I know :( I was offered a trip to a slaughterhouse when we were doing the ethical module of my course and I refused :(

It's too heartbreaking.

WWETombRaider
16-06-11, 19:13
I'm pretty sure, yeah.

Yep I've seen it. It was cruel and gross.

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 19:14
I'm pretty sure, yeah.

As much as I hate PETA they do good documentaries. I watched a one called 'If Slaughterhouses had Glass Walls' from them. Sure, its bias but it highlights the truth. I've seen both sides of the argument considering I'm a 'farm girl'. I think we all know which side of the fence I stand on xD

@Hillary ~ Indeed :( xxxxxxxxxxxx

star-dust
16-06-11, 19:15
Yep I've seen it. It was cruel and gross.

I don't want to eat pain, fear, and abuse. It was great at getting the point across.

toxicraider
16-06-11, 19:17

But, if it was cooked, then surely it would go to waste not eating it. :confused:
I understand vegetarianism, but if it means the meat just gets thrown away then the animal died for nothing. :o

star-dust
16-06-11, 19:19
But, if it was cooked, then surely it would go to waste not eating it. :confused:
I understand vegetarianism, but if it means the meat just gets thrown away then the animal died for nothing. :o

The meat was not being thrown away, I just wouldn't dish myself any. They were still meat eaters, I just wasn't and I'd eat a lot of the veggies she was serving and I guess she didn't like that.

toxicraider
16-06-11, 19:19
The meat was not being thrown away, I just wouldn't dish myself any. They were still meat eaters, I just wasn't and I'd eat a lot of the veggies she was serving and I guess she didn't like that.

Oh I see, I thought you meant you left it on your plate. That's a bit weird that she would stop inviting you then, since it's pretty much your choice what you want to eat, if it's laid out in dishes. :confused:

I don't understand people's intolerance of vegetarians sometimes, it's like they think you're trying to act morally elite or something, which is simply not true.

star-dust
16-06-11, 19:22
Oh I see, I thought you meant you left it on your plate. That's a bit weird that she would stop inviting you then, since it's pretty much your choice what you want to eat, if it's laid out in dishes. :confused:

Yeah, it's silly. When the other guests at the table may eat their meat, but won't take some of the veggie sides. Oh wells. :(

Atlantisfreak
16-06-11, 20:48
i'm no vegetarian, but i'm pretty fond of this veggie juice :mis:

T0-2lzA7_Cg

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 20:51
^ Oh no you did just not. Not her and her rude vegetable juice ;_;

Atlantisfreak
16-06-11, 20:52
^ Oh no you did just not. Not her and her rude vegetable juice ;_;

i'm sorry, I couldn't resist :vlol:

xXhayleyroxXx
16-06-11, 20:53
i'm sorry, I couldn't resist :vlol:

You've got it in my head now xD xxxx

Atlantisfreak
16-06-11, 20:55
You've got it in my head now xD xxxx

it's catchy :p

i also tried to be a vegetarian, but i only lasted a day xD

Dream_Raider
17-06-11, 05:10
Veggie. Pretty common here in India, so it's not like I have to work very hard at staying veggie :)

touchthesky
17-06-11, 09:48
I always decided to say I was veggie even if I wasn't when I go to Africa lol. I've got no idea what they eat but I've always been rubbish at trying new meats. I've had chance to try duck, rabbit, venisen..I've never done it.

michaeldt
17-06-11, 09:54
I'm not a vegetarian, but I hate when a animal is killed inhumanely and suffers

Vanni
17-06-11, 12:57
I'm not a vegetarian but I'm most definitely a vegan. :tea:

x

The Great Chi
17-06-11, 16:21
If animals were intellegent and knew they were there for the slaughter, it would be like this. This definately puts you of your meat :D

The origional 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' TV series.

C1nxaQhsaaw

linny
17-06-11, 19:40
9 years and counting!

TippingWater
17-06-11, 19:41
9 years and counting!

Congrats !:tmb::)

xXhayleyroxXx
17-06-11, 19:42
9 years and counting!

12 years <3 :D

touchthesky
08-11-11, 20:05
Has anyone eaten the Southern Fried Quorn burgers? Oh maw gaawd.

Actually thought I was eating chicken, was ready to throw up ahahah.

Haven't touched a bit of meat/gelatine/animal since this was made btw <3.

xXhayleyroxXx
08-11-11, 20:07
Haven't touched a bit of meat/gelatine/animal since this was made btw <3.

Well done <3

Cali
08-11-11, 20:09
I hate it when I'm eating a veggie option and it just tastes like the real thing. Blek...

CiaKonwerski
08-11-11, 20:09
I was vegan for a while then vegetarian. It really is difficult, considering having eaten a lot of meat etc. before doing it. I am not longer vegetarian, but I do hope that one day I will be able to do it again, and for a longer period of time.

xXhayleyroxXx
08-11-11, 20:15
I hate it when I'm eating a veggie option and it just tastes like the real thing. Blek...

I actually like that xD I love the taste of meat, and as long as its a certified company like Quorn or it clearly says its veggie, I'm happy <3

I was vegan for a while then vegetarian. It really is difficult, considering having eaten a lot of meat etc. before doing it. I am not longer vegetarian, but I do hope that one day I will be able to do it again, and for a longer period of time.

It's incredibly hard, like any diet. I was a massive meat lover before I decided to be vegetarian -- and although there's some real tasting non-meat options, nothing quite cuts it like bacon and fish .____. I miss the taste so much :vlol:

Cali
08-11-11, 20:23
I actually like that xD I love the taste of meat, and as long as its a certified company like Quorn or it clearly says its veggie, I'm happy <3

Ewww lordy no I can't stand the taste or smell of it anymore. Chicken especially...It's awful xD I'd probably be sick if I ate it now. It really doesn't appeal to me at all :/ I had a quorn sausage earlier, and it just tasted..like..the real sort. It wasn't nice ahahaha :p

Greenapple968
08-11-11, 20:30
I'm not a vegatarian, meat tastes too good.

Rosaly
08-11-11, 20:31
used to be vegetarian, but when I went to make some blood tests, the doctor told me that I need to eat meat (at least twice a week) so I started eating meat :/ but don't prefer meat so much...
I hope the doctor didn't lie to me :p :confused:

touchthesky
08-11-11, 20:41

It's harder then most people think, especially, as you say if you have eaten meat before.

I think its fantastic you've tried though :)!

Rosaly
08-11-11, 20:58
I'm not a vegatarian, meat tastes too good.

not all kind of meat... for example I can't eat veal it stinks :/ and I don't eat lamb meat it tastes bad imo

touchthesky
08-11-11, 21:02
not all kind of meat... for example I can't eat veal it stinks :/ and I don't eat lamb meat it tastes bad imo

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2401/2508246015_26621b4ffb.jpg

Rosaly
08-11-11, 21:12
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2401/2508246015_26621b4ffb.jpg

??

Joely-Moley
08-11-11, 21:18
Friend not food :ton:

touchthesky
08-11-11, 21:29
??

That is a happy lamb.

Re-read your post.

This is why.

patriots88888
08-11-11, 22:17
I've been giving it some consideration but with Turkey Day and the holidays coming up I doubt the switch will be any time soon. I think a good compromise in the meantime would be for me to reduce the amount of meat intake (saying this after what I ate for lunch today). :o

xXhayleyroxXx
08-11-11, 22:21
Ewww lordy no I can't stand the taste or smell of it anymore. Chicken especially...It's awful xD I'd probably be sick if I ate it now. It really doesn't appeal to me at all :/ I had a quorn sausage earlier, and it just tasted..like..the real sort. It wasn't nice ahahaha :p

//
used to be vegetarian, but when I went to make some blood tests, the doctor told me that I need to eat meat (at least twice a week) so I started eating meat :/ but don't prefer meat so much...

It sounds like you had anaemia, which is a blood disease. It can be controlled with iron tablets and proteins from nuts and dark leafy vegetables when you're vegetarian xxx

lance6439
08-11-11, 22:21
Meat Eater Hurrr.

touchthesky
08-11-11, 22:23
I've been giving it some consideration but with Turkey Day and the holidays coming up I doubt the switch will be any time soon. I think a good compromise in the meantime would be for me to reduce the amount of meat intake (saying this after what I ate for lunch today). :o
Watch a film called earthlings. Then you'll be sorted.

If you're interested:
http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=http%3A//www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DdwJ-LLfMSnY

Diablo_Rosso
08-11-11, 22:27
I eat meat. It's too good to give up. :D

seelengeil
09-11-11, 02:55
Vegan here. If it weren't for vegetarianism three years ago and now veganism, I wouldn't have tried so many different stuff (although it does taste good, meat is just so...repetitive) and learnt to cook too. Damn, cooking is so much fun! Also, my self-made vegan lasagna is the most delicious food I've ever eaten :D

sierra xb
09-11-11, 03:17
I'm not a vegetarian, but I seem to be heading in that direction...have been really trying to limit how much meat is in my diet...mostly for my health, but also because meat is getting so blasted expensive. Probably will never give it up completely though...

knightgames
09-11-11, 03:42
I never seem to get the knack of cooking. I used to be a vegan, too, but because I have absolutely no friends that are vegetarian, and I'm a lousy cook, I've fallen off the vegan wagon. There aren't vegetarian restaurants any were near me.

I'm really skeptical about what the government allows in our food, and I believe the best way to personally control that is to eat vegetarian. I kinda feel guilty that I gave up on it. I DO like the taste of a good rib eye though.

The variety of a vegetarian diet far outnumbers the variety of meats.

EmeraldFields
09-11-11, 03:56
Not a vegetarian, but I don't eat beef or pork products.

seelengeil
09-11-11, 03:59

I've just come across your post, and as a former vegetarian and now vegan who goes through blood tests every year with exceptional results (much better than when I used to eat meat and much better than my relatives who eat meat), I can attest you that your doctor is at least mistaken...

Perhaps, if you have anaemia you should eat nuts, dark leafy vegetables (as xXhayleyroxXx has said) and also beans...oh, and popcorn! Popcorn is a great source of iron and fibers :D And make sure to drink orange juice - the Vitamin C helps the body to absorb the Iron from its sources. By the way, if your body lacks vitamin C, it won't help an anaemia case even if you take iron tablets.

Rosaly
09-11-11, 06:43
I've just come across your post, and as a former vegetarian and now vegan who goes through blood tests every year with exceptional results (much better than when I used to eat meat and much better than my relatives who eat meat), I can attest you that your doctor is at least mistaken...

Perhaps, if you have anaemia you should eat nuts, dark leafy vegetables (as xXhayleyroxXx has said) and also beans...oh, and popcorn! Popcorn is a great source of iron and fibers :D And make sure to drink orange juice - the Vitamin C helps the body to absorb the Iron from its sources. By the way, if your body lacks vitamin C, it won't help an anaemia case even if you take iron tablets.

I really don't know... I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits and sometimes meat.. but I feel good even the blood tests are now better than then :/ and I don't have problems with hemoglobin... but my doctor said it's good to eat meat in small quantities and eat more chicken and fish meat (mostly sea fish)

sandygrimm
09-11-11, 06:47
Nope! I love birds too much! and the occasional sea fruit. :p

touchthesky
09-11-11, 15:23

My friend was told to start eating meat again when she fell pregnant.

I literally couldn't eat another drop of meat, pregnant or not. So my Doctor will be told where to go. ;)

A.JJ.G
09-11-11, 16:04
I tried being vegetarian again (I was a vegetarian until I was about seven years old), but I don't have the willpower to do so :o But I am trying to replace the meat in my diet with supplements :)

shebj
09-11-11, 19:41
I'm not a vegetarian; I really am an omnivore; I just eat about everything; really everything; ; for the midday meals; I actually mostly cook without meat;
and I have just made some very fresh , soup. with a lot of vegetables in it; paprika; onions, celery ( if it is written right ) , carrots, tomatos, fennel, aubergine ( I'm lacking the right English word for it ; but it is a purple vegetable; dark purple; and I've put some abc pasta in it :D
a dish I really like to make 2 is an onion stoved in a pan, tomatoes and paprikas added , then mushrooms , and then an egg ; :D or two eggs

btw ; something I was wondering about right now; if you are vegi ;, how about fish? does it fall under the category of meat; or is fish something apart?

touchthesky
09-11-11, 19:53
Vegetarians-dont eat anything that comes from the inside of living things with central nervous system. This includes fishies.

Pescitarians-Eat fish.