PDA

View Full Version : PhD Research on Gamers (Spe.TR Gamers)..Plz all respond.

Roxio
09-02-05, 14:47
To All TRF Members

There is worldwide concern on how gaming culture is
going to affect personality of individuals and the society we live in.

TR is the best game ever with large international community. Plz render input on following issues.

1. Is gaming an addiction ? Obsession? as good/bad as drugs?

2. Does gaming drives you away from all those means of personality development that last generations sticked to? such as... reading and other extra-curricular activities.

3. Does gaming like TR affects your academics,Job Adversely? Does it affect your ability to fulfill your family (>25 years age) commitments?

4. Do you feel guilty of living part of your day/life in 'Virtual world'?

Sin
09-02-05, 15:51
1-Game can be an addiction , and an Obsession, but i think that its better than drugs!
2-nop
3-nop
4-i donīt spend lots of time in Virtual world!

spence
09-02-05, 16:10
1. Is gaming an addiction? Obsession? as good/bad as drugs?

Anything that boosts serotonin levels to a high degree can be addictive. I think this depends on the individual.

As for obsession, I think for the more competitive gamers and their arenas (e.g. internet play) there is always the want/drive to be the best. You are no longer just playing against friends, but against like minded people all over the world. There are webrings, clans, score keeping facilities, forums all dedicated to seeing who are the best at a certain game. Unlike forums such as TR Forums which are mainly there to offer help, spread news, and introduce people.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Does gaming drives you away from all those means of personality development that last generations sticked to? such as... reading and other extra-curricular activities.

In my case I only bought a Playstation when in my late 20ís. I still love to read, am involved in the local soccer club and regularly visit with friends. So there has not been this effect on me.

Many of my friends are parents and do not like the idea of their kids spending too much time in front of TV, PC or PSX/PS2 (if they have them) and I agree that children should be outside playing with friends weather permitting, as I did when young.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Does gaming like TR affects your academics,Job Adversely? Does it affect your ability to fulfill your family (>25 years age) commitments?

I work as a systems analyst for government department. I rarely get time to play games at work (the most high tech game I have on my PC at the moment is MS Pinball). Iím currently single and enjoying it, so no problems there.

4. Do you feel guilty of living part of your day/life in 'Virtual world'?

No, I think itís a great way to relieve stress and anyway nearly all the books I read are SF/Fantasy/Horror.

Spence

spence
09-02-05, 16:14
Oops! double post. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

[ 09. February 2005, 16:19: Message edited by: spence ]

Apofiss
09-02-05, 16:44
Hi Roxio!

1. It's not addiction, maybe it's partly obsession. (I think to play a good game is the same as to read good book or watch great movie with superb story http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/smile.gif )

2. Sometimes, mostly no.

3. Affects? Maybe just a little bit as all things do.

4. No. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Catlantean
09-02-05, 17:14
1.IMO, the best games are those I can really get into while playing :D I wouldn't quite call it addiction, not any more than I'd call watching your fav TV show an addiction. If you play a game because you like it, that's OK. If you play comp games because it's the ONLY thing you like, then you have a problem.

2. No. I most definitely spend more time reading books than playing games, even when I'm not having exams.

3. No. Real life always comes on the first place, to me at least. But this can really be a problem for folks with addictive personalities...

4. I admit I spend more time in front of the comp than I'd like, but a small part of that time is spent actually playing. So no, I don't feel like I live in a virtual world.

andromeda_eats
10-02-05, 00:09
1. Yes. I wonder when gaming rehabs clinics will appear.

2. Definitely. As a child I was allowed only one hour of gaming per day. The rest of the time I was forced to spend interacting with my siblings and peers. Thank god for that. I cant imagine how socially retarded I would be if I was allowed to have the amount of time I wanted on computer games.

3. No. Not at all. None whatsover. The only affect it would have would be negative.

4. I make sure that my first priority is real life, and it always will be. This sub-reality, full of semi-real people does not make me feel guilty because it is just something I enjoy being involved in.

Anubis_AF
10-02-05, 00:47
1. It could definitely become an addiction. But most of people can control themselves or parents can limit their gaming hours.

2. If you asked Can, then I would say Yes it can, but since you asked Does, then definitely no. I always read books(novels).

3. To me no. I always separate between games and real life, and don't go there until I finish my real life duties.

4. I do spend a lot time on my PC, but I usually listen to music and surf internet. I barely play games except: If I missed it, I want to take screenshots or discover some new areas.

[ 10. February 2005, 00:49: Message edited by: Anubis_AF ]

Roxio
10-02-05, 10:04
Good friends

thanks ! go on... go on...One by one!

I have lots of parameters to deduce from this input of yours.There are many many people involved in doing surveys on Gamers. It is about $ 25 billion industry worldwide. Government bodies, medicos, social scientists, anthropologists and psycos want to know many things about 'Behavior of Gamers' and 'effect of gaming on adults who are
supposed to run this world from 2010 onwards'.

Internat gaming is coming in big way. US, Europe and South Koera are already engulfed by this. If
even 30% of youth in China, India and Arabia are to catch this on-line gaming fever, no. of gamers
would go up by at least 5-6 folds.

Within a decade, researchmen MAY point out that 'Gaming' stuff must be minimized or regulated by federal laws ( Truely this would be very-very difficult to implement).

seems like most of you do love real life ( that has to be the default case). I have to posted the complete questionaire, but these four issues are very directed.

There are people who look at gamers as a 'Merket'to make money.

Some look at them as people wasting prime time of there youth (15-30 year age) in 'Virtual' world. Old generation shows worries about ability
of gamers as an able citizen. Psychos think of possible personality disorders.

There are parents
telling lads in twenties to stay away from big time-and-mind-eating games (TR,AOE,COD type).

They tell kids the story of " Race between the Hare and Turttle " (where academically good gamers being the Hare). Ok baba...lets move on.

Kindly stick to those four points that are pillers of this very discussion. Biggest benefit of this particular topic is that, most of you can see how others feel regarding these four issues and how they handle them.

----- " Roxio Guru "

Roxio
10-02-05, 19:36
.eeekk