PDA

View Full Version : Are you a perfectionist?

patriots88888
18-06-11, 02:57
Are you the type who has to get everything just right and flawless, or are you comfortable with minor imperfections and content just to get the job/project/or whatever... finished so long as it's adequate?

I wish I was the latter, unfortunately my OCD's usually have something to say about that. :o No matter how hard I try not to, I always find myself giving in and correcting every single mistake I notice... even with something completely casual such as my YM conversations. So annoying and it bothers me to no end!

Well, are ya or ain't ya? :tea:

leglion
18-06-11, 02:59
I am somewhat of a perfectionist but i like to think it's the imperfections that make things beautiful. ♥ Even when i get my room exactly the way i want it, i always throw a sock or a shirt in the middle of the room to give it some character... Hope that doesn't make me sound crazy. :p

Tombraiderx08
18-06-11, 03:11
With a select few things, yeah I'm a perfectionist. Otherwise, I really don't care :vlol:

skylark1121
18-06-11, 03:16
I'm pretty much just a minor perfectionist; although, I have my moments of being very perfectional.

Vanni
18-06-11, 03:34
I'm absolutely a perfectionist. Everything has to be just right, even if I'm the only one who will ever see it... XD OCD?

x

Quasimodo
18-06-11, 03:41
According to a quiz on Discovery Health, I'm a "healthy perfectionist." The gist of the description is that you have standards for yourself, but you aren't neurotic about it. Lately, my perfectionism has been showing up as impatience when it comes to new art projects; if I don't like how the colors are shaping up, I scrap it. I think I should be able to whip out a fully rendered piece in a few hours like my favorite DeviantArt artists, but in reality it takes me several hours to achieve anything that holds a candle to their work. If I stuck with my projects and made them more often, I'd probably eventually gain the confidence and finesse that allows those artists to be so efficient!:o

I think that's reflective of a bigger problem that a lot of people can probably relate to - if something doesn't come easy for us or like we expect, we think it's just not meant to be or not for us and give up.

patriots88888
18-06-11, 04:06
^ Can you link me to the quiz please? I tried Google-ing it and couldn't find it. :/ Or isn't there an online version?

I think that's reflective of a bigger problem that a lot of people can probably relate to - if something doesn't come easy for us or like we expect, we think it's just not meant to be or not for us and give up.

I'm usually afraid to start anything because I know it will only end up leading to a ton of frustration for me (having to get everything just so and not being able to rest until it is).

Edit: Nvmd, I found it... and according to the results, I'm a 'healthy perfectionist'. :/

Quasimodo
18-06-11, 04:16
http://cl1.psychtests.com/take_test.php?idRegTest=2970

patriots88888
18-06-11, 04:21
^ Thank you! :)

Uzi master
18-06-11, 05:02
well, I always love getting 100% on games:D, but otherwise not really...

TRLegendLuver
18-06-11, 06:07
I'm a huge perfectionist. Everything has to be just right, or I am to be completely bummed and feel defeated in order for me to give up. I do this with art, music, writing, gaming, everything. So I am definitely a perfectionist and it's probably why I've been sucessful in many revenues and studying, because my perfectionist mentality refuses to let me give up.

I took Heather's test that she linked to, I'm Abridged.
"According to this test, your perfectionistic tendencies can be a bit obsessive. You are likely quite tough on yourself or others in response to failure. This can deal a lot of damage to the self-esteem of the targeted individual. With unreasonable standards, you are denying yourself, and perhaps even those close to you, the pride deserved after a job well done. Although striving for absolute perfection may seem like a noble goal, it is one that neither you, nor anyone else, will ever be able to achieve. "

Lol, told you. :p

sandygrimm
18-06-11, 06:29
I am a Virgo by sign, it is said they are perfectionists and sticklers to order... I agree to that sometimes, but mostly I don't have the patience to take it that far unless I need to. Being an artist it's a contradiction in both directions with me . Art ca't be perfect unless you consider it perfect. I do have my ( as we say) elves on the brain with some things that have to be in certain place/ order/ type of work special in cleaning the house. :p

but in short, just sometimes mostly I don't give a Flying Dutchman's long as it's adequate. :D

pEhouse
18-06-11, 08:10
With a select few things, yeah I'm a perfectionist. Otherwise, I really don't care :vlol:

Kinda the same for me.
I'm a perfectionist in theory, but my impatience often interferes with that. I'd rather get things done quickly than get them perfectly. ;)

Drone
18-06-11, 08:14
No.

WWETombRaider
18-06-11, 08:30
Sometimes. Only when it's suitable for me. I don't waste time on insignificant stuff, it's good enough if I get the job done.

37/100

According to this test, you appear to have very few perfectionistic tendencies. While this might seem like a healthy approach to life, it does pose some problems. Remember that accomplishing goals and doing things well can feel really good, as long as your happiness and sense of fulfillment aren't contingent upon it. It is fine to be laid-back, but don't sell your own, or other people's capabilities short.

Well, no one is perfect so...

Your_Envy*
18-06-11, 09:15

Same. :D

Vinkula
18-06-11, 09:27
Yes, with some things. Like hair, clothing, cooking, arts, like drawing, painting...

Ikas90
18-06-11, 09:37
I'm a bit of a perfectionist with certain things, but not to the point where I feel I have the absolute need to do it.

My OCD is very mild.

lara c. fan
18-06-11, 09:39
According to Heather's test thing, I would be Abridged.

According to this test, you appear to have a mixture of both healthy and unhealthy perfectionistic tendencies. In some cases, you demand perfection of yourself or others by setting the bar unreasonably high. In other cases however, you set goals that are not as challenging and are more tolerant of failure. Your attitude likely depends on the type of task involved and the circumstances you are in.

Pretty much sums up what I would have put here, albeit in a longer way. :p

Aranara
18-06-11, 10:01
I'd rather not sleep a night than go to school with a mediocre project. xD

And I absolutely feel like crap when the teacher tells me: "You should've done this and that to make it look more colorful-so-idiots-would-pay-attention."
It's not my fault I don't like coloring my biology project pink. ._.

Same with doing the dishes. I hate it when I see a spot on a plate. That's why it takes me 2 minutes to clean a plate, to my mum's despair. :vlol:

jackles
18-06-11, 10:11
I am as long as I know I can achieve it.

anniversarytr11
18-06-11, 10:38
I am. I have been told many times by teachers, friends, family and boyfriends that I am very obssessive about making things perfect, that I am so perfectionist. Which is true everything I do, I can't stand for anything less than perfect and if that is not achieved I get real :cen: off :p

xXhayleyroxXx
18-06-11, 11:25
I am very, very perfectionist. Everything has to be perfect -- the way I do my hair, my makeup, my clothes, my college grades, my daily routine, my weight etc xD

I did the test:

Overall results
87/100

According to this test, your perfectionistic tendencies can be a bit obsessive. You are likely quite tough on yourself or others in response to failure. This can deal a lot of damage to the self-esteem of the targeted individual. With unreasonable standards, you are denying yourself, and perhaps even those close to you, the pride deserved after a job well done. Although striving for absolute perfection may seem like a noble goal, it is one that neither you, nor anyone else, will ever be able to achieve.

Hmm. I agree but I don't take it out on other people if they mess up xD

Mikky
18-06-11, 12:48
Only when it comes to Tomb Raider, and perhaps other stuff I may consider "important" (such as my grammer :pi: ). Everything else... meh, not that bothered, but I try. :p

aidanmalone
18-06-11, 13:00
Definitely
Especially when it comes to gaming, if i dont get 100% ive wasted my time :vlol: other things as well
OCD?? :o

Simochka
18-06-11, 13:06
Yeah I'm a perfectionist. I wish I wasn't.

If something isn't absolutely PERFECT then I give up.
There have been some awkward moments in school where I give up and get so pissed off that I have to leave school.
Being a perfectionist isn't good for my self esteem at all :p

coolaideonfire
18-06-11, 13:13
I am a huge perfectionist, I like things to be done properly and to the best of my ability. Although I'm realistic as well - I know there will be challenges and some flaws.

Dennis's Mom
18-06-11, 13:13
If it's something creative I am.

sandygrimm
18-06-11, 13:42
http://cl1.psychtests.com/take_test.php?idRegTest=2970

Acording to this test it sais:
40/100 :p

According to this test, you appear to be a healthy perfectionist. The goals you set for yourself and others are generally quite reasonable. By setting the bar high but still within reach, you allow yourself and others a sense of pride after a job well done. You are well-aware that although striving for absolute perfection may seem like a noble goal, it is one that neither you, nor anyone else, will ever be able to achieve.

I think it's rigged :pi:

Liara
18-06-11, 13:49
Interesting how so many around here are perfectionists. I've always thought that most perfectionists agonize over details no matter the situation. Such as how my sister spends up to ten minutes picking usernames that "look right". And then there's writing up, spell-checking and rereading every single post or email before she submits it. And if a spelling mistake or whatnot slips in, she gets all twitchy until it's fixed.

And all this stuff makes me so, so glad to be a class A don't-give-a-damn-er :D I like to think of myself as a part of the "Meh, good enough" category.

a_pok
18-06-11, 13:53
only when i'm dealing with things i care about...
and i usually don't care about a lot of stuff!!

TRLegendLuver
18-06-11, 14:50
only when i'm dealing with things i care about...
and i usually don't care about a lot of stuff!!

So you're Jay? Apathetic?

xD

lance6439
18-06-11, 14:52
sometimes.

Nerd For Life
18-06-11, 15:05
Perfectionist =/= OCD.

lara c. fan
18-06-11, 15:07
Interesting how so many around here are perfectionists. I've always thought that most perfectionists agonize over details no matter the situation. Such as how my sister spends up to ten minutes picking usernames that "look right". And then there's writing up, spell-checking and rereading every single post or email before she submits it. And if a spelling mistake or whatnot slips in, she gets all twitchy until it's fixed.

And all this stuff makes me so, so glad to be a class A don't-give-a-damn-er :D I like to think of myself as a part of the "Meh, good enough" category.

For me it depends on how tired I am. If I'm quite tired I tend to let mistakes go more easily. Same when I need to get something done quickly, though I'll still aim to make it OKish. :p

Phlip
18-06-11, 15:09
i like to think it's the imperfections that make things beautiful.

Then you're one of the most beautiful people on this forum, because you have many imperfections. (I know I'm in no place to say anything, but you are something else!)

Gladous
18-06-11, 15:10
I try to be in a way. If I'm trying not to make it perfect, it's always close to. :p

I have like OCD or something. xD

Alive_and_Funky
18-06-11, 16:34
I got 59/100 on that test, but I would actually say that I'm a pretty obsessive perfectionist. My main problem is with myself as a person: I wish to be perfect, but I know that I'm far from it and always will be. There are some days when I can't help but keep on thinking about my shortcomings and it depresses me quite a lot. :)

Oh, I just thought I'd mention that I always spellcheck my posts and read through them multiple times to make sure that I don't make any typos. Making typos bothers me greatly. XD

Poke Warrior
18-06-11, 17:19
Yes.

Rai
18-06-11, 20:54
I don't think I'm a perfectionist at all. I will always try to do my best, of course, but believe that's all we can do. I am a bit of a perfectionist with my writing though - I agonise over it far too much really, I surprise myself when I feel I've finished something properly.

I was curious to do the test posted:

47/100
According to this test, you appear to be a healthy perfectionist. The goals you set for yourself and others are generally quite reasonable. By setting the bar high but still within reach, you allow yourself and others a sense of pride after a job well done. You are well-aware that although striving for absolute perfection may seem like a noble goal, it is one that neither you, nor anyone else, will ever be able to achieve.

Love2Raid
18-06-11, 22:20
Perfectionist =/= OCD.
Thank you.

---

Scored 57. I thought it would be much higher though, I used to be almost obsessed with grades, mistakes etc.. but it's a bit better now. I'm trying to accept the possibility of failure and that 'adequate' can usually be good enough, but it's not easy.

Mr Tomb
18-06-11, 23:24
Thank you.

---

Scored 57. I thought it would be much higher though, I used to be almost obsessed with grades, mistakes etc.. but it's a bit better now. I'm trying to accept the possibility of failure and that 'adequate' can usually be good enough, but it's not easy.
at least your case is better than mine ! well technically the other student's case ! :pi: they start crying when they get 19 out of 20 or when someone else beated them. aghhhhhh :pi: they don't want to help anyone, because they want to keep everything for themselves! >.<

patriots88888
18-06-11, 23:34
Perfectionist =/= OCD.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm not in any way trying to imply that they are one in the same. All I am saying is that my OCD's tend to push me in that direction (to get everything perfect, or as close as possible) and as I stated in my OP, I really wish I could break away from that (it is beyond ridiculous at times). You are correct though, being a perfectionist does not necessarily mean one is obsessive compulsive.

Nerd For Life
18-06-11, 23:47
Thank you.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm not in any way trying to imply that they are one in the same. All I am saying is that my OCD's tend to push me in that direction (to get everything perfect, or as close as possible) and as I stated in my OP, I really wish I could break away from that (it is beyond ridiculous at times). You are correct though, being a perfectionist does not necessarily mean one is obsessive compulsive.

Sorry, I just get defensive about this... because OCD is totally different from having little obsessions/perfectionism, and seeing people throw around the term "I'm so OCD over ______" drives me up the wall.

I have a degree in Psychology though (nearly finished), so that's part of why it bothers me the way it does.

:p

Encore
19-06-11, 00:09
No, not really. Feeling that I've completed something, is more important to me than feeling that it's perfect to the last detail.

TombOfRaiders
19-06-11, 00:12
Oh yes. I'm very much a Perfectionist. Everything I do must be right, exact and perfect or I won't be satisfied with it, even get angry or mad because it's not exactly perfect. :vlol:

kooky
19-06-11, 13:43
Yes very much so, especially when it comes to working math problems I do my best to show the teacher my process of how I solve the problems.

Reggie
19-06-11, 14:00
Yes. With me, if I can't do something to the best of my ability, then I won't do it at all. Its not the healthiest of traits given that it means I live life in terms of 'epic win' or 'epic fail'.

DgoOdz94
20-06-11, 02:31
I am a perfectionist. :p I spent most the time in history class making a perfect chart and ended up not taking many notes at all, which then made me mad. :p

I'm the bad kind of perfectionist. The obsessive kind. The "get it right or don't try" kind. It gets on my nerves, but I can't help it.

EDIT: Took the test posted by Quasimodo. My result: 82/100
According to this test, your perfectionistic tendencies can be a bit obsessive. You are likely quite tough on yourself or others in response to failure. This can deal a lot of damage to the self-esteem of the targeted individual. With unreasonable standards, you are denying yourself, and perhaps even those close to you, the pride deserved after a job well done. Although striving for absolute perfection may seem like a noble goal, it is one that neither you, nor anyone else, will ever be able to achieve.

Shark_Blade
20-06-11, 02:53
Not in everything I do, just the things I'm passionate about.

Can't imagine me getting ALL Trophies and Achievements just because I'm a perfectionist, that's just insane. :p

TheCoolJazz
20-06-11, 09:47
Perfectionist? No..
I'm am pretty good with 74% also, On the other hand my mom is a super Perfectionist and i hate it :pi:

Capt. Murphy
20-06-11, 15:15
I consider myself to be, but usually I can keep my cool in hectic situations... Maybe not in confrontational situations (I find I get a bit nervous when someone else is upset, unless I know they're being ridiculous), but that's not the topic.

& I do tend to hold others to a high standard. If they screw up it usually irritates me (as evidenced by my punching of the counter). I just feel that they should know better to do than what they did, or I wonder "Where did they ever get the idea to do that?" :mad:

And the past few days I've punched the counter several times. :vlol:

Lara Croft!
21-06-11, 14:06
I am a perfectionist only in few things. Most of the times I tend to do a job messy, just to get over with it.

StarCroft:AOD
21-06-11, 17:10
Yes. :mis:

Dunnut7
21-06-11, 17:28
I'm totally not. Except a bit with my hair (I said a bit:whi:), .mp3 files on my MP3 player (Almost all are 320 kbps etc..) and posts on TRF (I use capitals and when I posted my post, but I see a mistake in it, I correct it right way:p)!