PDA

View Full Version : Driving test very soon ... In petrified !!!

Lara_Zoz2006
19-06-11, 20:23
Hi guys

I have my driving test very very soon , I don't want to gie away the date just yet as it will add more pressure lol but I certainly will let u all know the outcome when it does happen

I just wandered If you all have any tips on overcoming the nerve because they are really playing on me right now !!

Dark Lugia 2
19-06-11, 20:30
Good luck! Mine is soon too. :o

I dont think you can overcome the nerves entirely, thats impossible. Just make sure you have had a good nights sleep before, make sure your day is as good as possible before the test (no unecessary stress), practice things like how to do manouvers in your head, not to stop too close when at a red light, keep and eye out at pedestrian crossings... just run through the basics in your head. Try and get yourself as comfortable as possible in the car If you need to open a window then do it. The instructor isnt there to scare you too, he/she will be friendly, that should help you feel less nervous in the car.

And try not to want to pass really bad, people can fail for the most ridiculous mistakes, just start the test with an idea that you may pass and that it would be nice if you did. If you stress yourself out about wanting to pass too much then you'll get irritable and that wont help you concentrate.

Good luck again!

Underworld2008
19-06-11, 20:31
Good luck :D You just gotta stay calm, and practice loads :D

WWETombRaider
19-06-11, 20:33
Relax, I'm sure you'll be fine :D

toxicraider
19-06-11, 20:37
Hi guys

I have my driving test very very soon , I don't want to gie away the date just yet as it will add more pressure lol but I certainly will let u all know the outcome when it does happen

I just wandered If you all have any tips on overcoming the nerve because they are really playing on me right now !!
Hi, I had my test like 2 weeks ago. :)
I thought I'd be extremely nervous, because I saw it as some kind of performance, and I happen to turn into a quivering wreck whenever I'm doing a music exam, and I've done like 20 of them. But this was something completely new, which I'd never done before, so I was expecting it to be even worse. I was literally picturing myself shaking so much that I'd drive into a lamp post or something, and in the little practice session I had just before my test I completely lost it. I stalled after 2 minutes of setting off, then later completely forgot how to even start the car. I was counting on failing, and I really didn't want to fail.
But when I started the exam, after I got in the car and did the two show me tell me questions, I somehow stopped being nervous at all. The guy was really friendly, and it definitely helped my nerves by talking to him. I think at the end of the day, I realised that I enjoy driving and I even just enjoyed having a chat to someone xD.
That's just my experience, I did pass, but I think I had been quite lucky with the route, the manoeuvre etc. I think it's best to think why you want to pass the test, then try to get to know your examiner, so you realise that they are a person, not some monster who is there to try and fail you. :)
Best of luck!

Rai
19-06-11, 20:39
Good Luck and don't let the miserable ugly Examiner put you off! << Well mine was, I presume they're all like that! Lol (j/k). I am so terrible with nerves. I even asked the doctor for something, and although the physical symptoms were gone, my mind was still 'omgomgomg!'. I failed on the stupedist things.

You should ignore my post, I don't think it will help you at all. :vlol:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
19-06-11, 20:40
I'll tell you what I tell everyone when this subject comes up: Look at all the boneheads out there who know how to drive already. How hard could it be?

_Awestruck_
19-06-11, 20:43
^ What he said

Cochrane
19-06-11, 20:59
One thing to keep in mind: They don't expect you to be 100% perfect. Obviously, you should try to do everything as well as possible. But if you make a mistake - and everyone I know did make mistakes during the test - don't dwell on it. If you just think about how badly you did that one thing, then you won't do the next thing correctly either. Move on and focus on the next issue.

Mad Tony
19-06-11, 21:15
I'm sure you know this already but remember that they allow you a lot of minors (about 13 or 14 I think) but of course you can't get any serious' or you'll fail.

To be honest I think I was lucky to pass my driving test. On one occasion I was going way too slow on a national speed limit road and he basically told me to speed up. If I'd carried on going at that speed I would have failed. There were also moments during that test where I swear I made mistakes that were enough to fail but I only got a few minors. It was back in January that I passed but even now it makes me nervous thinking about it. I'm so glad it's out of the way now.

toxicraider
19-06-11, 21:24
To be honest I think I was lucky to pass my driving test. On one occasion I was going way too slow on a national speed limit road and he basically told me to speed up. If I'd carried on going at that speed I would have failed. There were also moments during that test where I swear I made mistakes that were enough to fail but I only got a few minors. It was back in January that I passed but even now it makes me nervous thinking about it. I'm so glad it's out of the way now.

I did the exact same thing! I was driving at 30 on what was actually a pretty bendy, single carriageway at the national speed limit. I thought at the time that I must have been going to slow, but it's better to go too slow than too fast, which would almost definitely get you a major.

ultima espio
19-06-11, 21:29
Yes, my Test is soon too.

YET AGAIN.

Your_Envy*
19-06-11, 21:41
You must know that a big part is also LUCK when it comes to driving test. You can't control people in other cars and their reactions or pedestrians. My father told me he failed the first time back in the day because pedestrian jumped in front of the car all the sudden so he automatically failed even though he pulled over. Same with the other drivers who think they are gods on the road. I have driving license for over 2 years now, and I still remember that day when I passed, oh boy. :p I was nervous, but it all went away when I sat down and drove the way I learned and knew. I passed all tests in one try and I had terrible problems with my first driving instructor so I had to change and it was complicated and so on, but in the end I did it without any problems. Trust in yourself, you know how to drive and don't show how nervous you really are, it's usually even worse. :hug: And if you fail, you're not the first or the last one, it happens! You get another chance, don't worry. Break a leg! :D

Laras Backpack
19-06-11, 21:50
Good luck :tmb:

lara c. fan
19-06-11, 21:53
Judging by my two brothers' feedback, it does rely on a fair amount of luck. You might get some idiot driver actually cause you to make a major infraction, which will probably fail you.

Just keep your nerve. Don't be too jumpy, but be focused on the road, and aware of what's happening around you.

Lara_Zoz2006
19-06-11, 22:15
Thank u so much for all the help guys :) congrats to all that have passed and good luck to those who have it coming :)

It's great to get this info , I'm ok until I think about the manoeuvres then I physically shake lol !!!

Dark Lugia 2
19-06-11, 22:30
Thank u so much for all the help guys :) congrats to all that have passed and good luck to those who have it coming :)

It's great to get this info , I'm ok until I think about the manoeuvres then I physically shake lol !!!

Haha I have trouble remembering manouvers too, the turn in the road and reverse park ones. Ask your instructor to write the routines down in steps for you on paper so you can read and remember easier! :D

Lara_Zoz2006
19-06-11, 22:33
Yer we been doing that :) i defo got them in my head and I can do them slowly lol !! But I just have this irrational fear that on the day I'm just gonna muck em all up lol !!!! Or I'll end up with parrell park which is the one I find most difficult lol

xXhayleyroxXx
19-06-11, 22:38
I'm nervous for mine too! I can drive perfectly well but nerves is stalling my attempts at booking it.

You'll do fine though hunni, I know it :hug: And if you don't pass -- well, not a lot of people do on their first attempt! Don't beat yoursef up about it -- you can only do the best you can do :hug: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mad Tony
19-06-11, 22:51
Oh yeah, luck plays a massive part. There are many test routes for example, some which will be easier for you while others will be harder. What time is your test? That also plays a part in it. If it's say, 1 PM on a Tuesday then the roads will probably be relatively empty, where as 3 PM the same day it will most likely be heaving with traffic due to parents picking their kids up from school. When I scheduled my test I specifically avoided the morning and afternoon rush hours.

Dark Lugia 2
19-06-11, 23:10
I'm nervous for mine too! I can drive perfectly well but nerves is stalling my attempts at booking it.

You'll do fine though hunni, I know it :hug: And if you don't pass -- well, not a lot of people do on their first attempt! Don't beat yoursef up about it -- you can only do the best you can do :hug: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Book that test, gurl! :p

xXhayleyroxXx
19-06-11, 23:14
Book that test, gurl! :p

maybe xD
But its so pricey ;_; </3

I know I'm capable but I need to deal with my nerves and stuff -- and be 100% I can pass. Its ridiculous -- I practiced a year and a bit every day for my theory and got one question wrong out of 50. I could have gone in and done it ages before that xD I need to be mentally prepared I guess :ohn: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mad Tony
19-06-11, 23:20
I practiced a year and a bit every day for my theory and got one question wrong out of 50. I could have gone in and done it ages before that xD I need to be mentally prepared I guess :ohn: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxSeriously? I had my theory passed within two/three weeks of getting my provisional drivers license. :p It's a piece of cake if you get the right practice software.

Alex Shepherd
19-06-11, 23:25
^ What he said

LOOOOOOOOOOL!!! It fits with the avatar :vlol:

xXhayleyroxXx
19-06-11, 23:28
Seriously? I had my theory passed within two/three weeks of getting my provisional drivers license. :p It's a piece of cake if you get the right practice software.

Yeah xD I had the highway code, theory questions (all of them in a book) and a learning disk for my laptop. I'm too perfectionist xD

Dark Lugia 2
19-06-11, 23:34
I know what you mean about the money. 62 for the test and then like 40 on the day for lessons before the test to freshen up. :o

I studied for my theory in a week. :o I read the book twice, made notes on what I couldn't remember from reading like some numbers and then practiced on the software. Like any other exam
x

xXhayleyroxXx
19-06-11, 23:39
I know what you mean about the money. 62 for the test and then like 40 on the day for lessons before the test to freshen up. :o

I studied for my theory in a week. :o I read the book twice, made notes on what I couldn't remember from reading like some numbers and then practiced on the software. Like any other exam
x

I know >.< Sucks. And A week!? *dies*
I worry too much xD

Mad Tony
19-06-11, 23:49
You can't ho wrong with the software. It has the exact questions and the exact hazard perception videos.

xXhayleyroxXx
20-06-11, 00:01
You can't ho wrong with the software. It has the exact questions and the exact hazard perception videos.

And I didn't <3

Some guy came into my theory test and the examiner asked him if he'd revise and he was like 'nahhh' and he managed to pass :/

scoopy_loopy
20-06-11, 05:47
I need to book my test too... but if I fail... I have to start the learners process all over again. 100 logged hours of driving, etc.

:( Stupid inter-state rules. And you think you have pressure! XD

scremanie
20-06-11, 05:50
Good luck! :hug:

I so failed my written L test the first time I went.. :p

sandygrimm
20-06-11, 05:56
The most reassuring tip I can give you is .... THEY have insurance! :pi: :D

Lara_Zoz2006
20-06-11, 06:04
my test s at 10:44 , ,i made sure it was at a time when the bus lane would be open lol

jajay119
20-06-11, 06:26
The most important thing that you can remember, as with any practical exam, is to stay calm. You most probably know your stuff, but you won't remember it if you panic. Good Luck, I'm sure you won't need it.

Mad Tony
20-06-11, 07:44
my test s at 10:44 , ,i made sure it was at a time when the bus lane would be open lolThat's a good time to have your test.

Another Lara
20-06-11, 07:51
I've got my practical in 5 weeks time... I go through stages where I think "Meh, I'll be fine, there's nothing to worry about I know I can drive!" and then there's other times where I have the "OMG, so much pressure, if I don't pass I'll have to give it up forever because it's just too expensive!"

So, yeah I'm hoping I pass as I'm absolutely broke now... but I'm trying not to dwell on it! :p

jajay119
20-06-11, 08:08
I really enjoy driving and cannot wait to pick it up again in a few weeks time. There's one or two things that stress me out though one is clutch control and the other proximity detection, for parking etc, I can never get my distance from the kerb right, I either end up too far out or too close :hea:

Other things such as round abouts that are meant to be scary don't really bother me though. :)

Another Lara
20-06-11, 08:12
I really enjoy driving and cannot wait to pick it up again in a few weeks time. There's one or two things that stress me out though one is clutch control and the other proximity detection, for parking etc, I can never get my distance from the kerb right, I either end up too far out or too close :hea:

Other things such as round abouts that are meant to be scary don't really bother me though. :)

I'm spot on with my clutch control, it's something that my instructor was hell bent on getting right when I first started learning... proximity, I have a big fear of, but I don't think it's a necessary one and roundabouts I used to be petrified of, but now I'm quite confident with them...

I don't know what my main issue is with driving, actually I think it's my mirros... I forget to keep looking in them, and my reaction time can be a little off at times! :o

jajay119
20-06-11, 08:16
^My instructor used to get really annoyed with me because I would constantly use the wrong method for my mirrors. I'd always check the side mirror's first and then the rear view, which I knew was wrong but I couldn't help the habit :o

Admles
20-06-11, 08:33
So..... people don't even check their thread titles before they post anymore?

Anyway, a driving test really isn't that hard. The best advice I can give is don't listen to anyone who's not your driving instructor. I failed mine the first time, because I listened to the advice that all my friends and relatives were giving me. The second time I ignored them and listened to only what my instructor told me, and passed easily. It's really no different to going for a drive.

jajay119
20-06-11, 08:35
^Well not you it seems as you haven't given any tips for avoiding nerves like was asked in the opening post, which I actually did as your post seemed aimed at either I, or AnotherLara, or both of us. The irony is delicious.

tampi
20-06-11, 09:37
I was petrified too. Literally!

My advice: You must remember to put the first gear before starting to move.;):)

I forgot that in my driving test, and stood there, accelerating the car as Fernando Alonso on the starting line. The crowd was shouting me: "Put first gear! Put the first gear!!!!

It was so exciting....:o:cln::D

toxicraider
20-06-11, 15:11
my test s at 10:44 , ,i made sure it was at a time when the bus lane would be open lol

Oh, mine was 11.11, the roads should be empty, which is good I guess.

Was that today then? :o

Another Lara
20-06-11, 15:21
Oh, mine was 11.11, the roads should be empty, which is good I guess.

Mine's at 11.20am on a Thursday, so I'm hoping the roads will be empty for me! :o

x...justme...x
20-06-11, 19:26
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

(I can't wait to start driving in August)!

Lara_Zoz2006
21-06-11, 06:18
Thank so much for all your help guys, no its at some point in the next 5 days but i cant say anyjore than that lol, but i will defo let u all know the outcome :hug: x x x

Lara Croft!
21-06-11, 14:14
You will be stressed as it is an exam. It's impossible to eliminate all anxiety. If your parents or a friend have a car, you can go with them to an empty area and practice the day before.