PDA

View Full Version : Shoud you be 'legal' to be able to play WoW?

leglion
22-06-11, 03:06
I personally know many people addicted to the game and i believe we even had a forum member being seriously addicted to it. WoW obviously has a formula that makes people come back for more like crack/meth. So should individuals under 18 be able to play the game?
I know some people are going to laugh but it's not a laughing matter when you have things like this coming over the news every month:

http://dalje.com/en-world/killed-kids-so-she-could-play-world-of-warcraft/252560
Kathrin O, 27, from Germany, killed two of her children, leaving only her three-year-old son alive. She did it so she could play the World of Warcraft game uninterrupted.

She said she would often play the internet game the entire night. In the virtual world, she was a heroin and her boyfriend a warrior.

I've seen people on yahoo answers asking for help with a WOW addiction several times when i visited yahoo answers... So what're your thoughts?

Sgt BOMBULOUS
22-06-11, 03:12
I remember when I played Final Fantasy 2 & 3... They occupied a lot of time, but in they had a definite beginning, middle and end. A role playing game that NEVER ends is a bad idea for many people. Especially when it's really just designed as a cash cow... Besides, it's a shockingly pointless waste of time.

leglion
22-06-11, 03:13
I remember when I played Final Fantasy 2 & 3... They occupied a lot of time, but in they had a definite beginning, middle and end. A role playing game that NEVER ends is a bad idea for many people. Especially when it's really just designed as a cash cow... Besides, it's a shockingly pointless waste of time.

So I'm guessing this is a yes?

Sir Croft
22-06-11, 03:14
Being overage wouldn't change things as the woman was 27 and still killed her children. Still, it's not about WoW, it's about insane people. There are people doing crazy stuff in the world for the most preposterous reasons and this case is no exception. Of course, "journalists" will blame videogames and build some controversy around it, but is it really necessary to regard it as a drug? There are over 10 million active WoW players, and this is the first or second time I read such bad news involving the game, so I think it's fair to wonder if it's really the game's fault.

leglion
22-06-11, 03:17
Being overage wouldn't change things as the woman was 27 and still killed her children. Still, it's not about WoW, it's about insane people. There are people doing crazy stuff in the world for the most preposterous reasons and this case is no exception. Of course, "journalists" will blame videogames and build some controversy around it, but is it really necessary to regard it as a drug? There are over 10 million active WoW players, and this is the first or second time I read such bad news involving the game, so I think it's fair to wonder if it's really the game's fault.

An addiction will make you do "insane" things. Like exchanging your baby for crack or forgetting them in a crack house. Yes, this has happened before. There's no doubt that this would affect a child much more than it would an adult that's why i asked the question. I think there's even a case of a child killing his mother because she wouldn't let him play WoW...

Sir Croft
22-06-11, 03:22
Still, it's more about the player than the game. For instance, I had many addictions in the past, none of them ever made me kill someone or do bad stuff so I could focus on my addiction. What could be done, though, instead of making a law on the player's age, is limit the daily play time, like the game automatically shuts down after two or three hours. I know these MMORPGs send messages to the player like "You've been playing for a long time already. Take some time to rest.", but that just doesn't work.

leglion
22-06-11, 03:26
Still, it's more about the player than the game. For instance, I had many addictions in the past, none of them ever made me kill someone or do bad stuff so I could focus on my addiction. What could be done, though, instead of making a law on the player's age, is limit the daily play time, like the game automatically shuts down after two or three hours. I know these MMORPGs send messages to the player like "You've been playing for a long time already. Take some time to rest.", but that just doesn't work.

There is great good and great evil in every individual. With the right motivation anyone can do something we consider to be evil including you and me.

SoupCard
22-06-11, 04:03
Still, it's not about WoW, it's about insane people. There are people doing crazy stuff in the world for the most preposterous reasons and this case is no exception. Of course, "journalists" will blame videogames and build some controversy around it, but is it really necessary to regard it as a drug?

My thoughts exactly. I'm not saying the story isn't true, but the media always seems to twist storys involving video games. Say for instance, the woman is asked why she did it, she replies "I just wanted time to myself...". They ask what she does on her free time, she says she plays World of Warcraft. Right there journalists can just say "She did it so she could play the World of Warcraft game uninterrupted." Just my personal opinion.

That said I do think becoming addicted to video games can be a problem, and I suppose in some ways it could be considered a drug. But in all honnest I would never want video games to be associated with drugs, it just gives the media more of a reason to constantly blame and bash them.

patriots88888
22-06-11, 04:19

I have to say I agree with this. Even though I never quite understood the 'addiction' of video gaming, it is a real problem for people of all ages (just the same as any other addiction) young and old alike.

P.S. I really like your 'automatic shutdown' idea as well. It might be unfortunate for those who have the ability to walk away on their own, but it's the best option I've heard so far to force the 'abusers' to snap back to reality and realize these games are not nor should be their entire lives.

domino92
22-06-11, 04:19
Storytime:

Teenager near my hometown played WOW on a near endless basis. On it he met a female character and started a clan (or whatever they're called) with her. They talk and become best friends. This kid is socially awkward and gad no friends at school. So about a year passes and the kid starts to skip school to be with his friend, who he claimed was now his girlfriend. The parents got worried and forced him away from her by taking away his computer. But the second they trust him enough to return it he's right back on it talking to her. He figures she's the love of his life. She's a 40 year old school teacher with two children.

So she comes to Canada on a trip and offers to see him. His mother intercepts the message and threatens ti call the cops if she comes near him. So when her trip was over and she went back home to the states she tells him what happened with his mother and he gets her to come BACK to Canada for him. She does. They run away and two weeks later they're found in a hotel room halfway across the province by the cops. She'slost her job and possibly lost her children a d he worships her and wishes to marry her at 18.

Moral: Gaming lives create unhealthy obsessions. Gaming is fine, but you need a very healthy dose of reality too.

There's a reason the ESRB says they cant rate online interactions. They cant rate things like that.

silver_wolf
22-06-11, 04:44
You shouldn't have to be legal. What you should have to do is take a psych test to see if you might become hopelessly obsessed and do something stupid.

scoopy_loopy
22-06-11, 05:23
My opinion is that if people enjoys doing something (like WoW, or whatever other game), then it's likely not a "waste of time"... Although it's clear some people do take it too far, but this is true of everything. Drinking, gambling, diets....

Apathetic
22-06-11, 05:25
They should just label it as proven to become addictive and play at your own risk.

Lara_Zoz2006
22-06-11, 05:42
Never again In my life shall I ever pick up that game !!!!

Cochrane
22-06-11, 05:58
WoW addiction is a serious problem, no doubt, but I almost think that it is worse among adults than underage people. Children, after all, still have their parents to keep this at least a little in check. Someone with his own apartment, source of money and nobody else there to stop him might slide into such an addiction much more easily.

Dark Lugia 2
22-06-11, 06:47
They should just label it as proven to become addictive and play at your own risk.

That actually sounds like the most sensible and realistic suggestion.

trfanX34
22-06-11, 07:32
I find WoW boring tbh

NRO.
22-06-11, 08:07
...you're thoughts...

I am... what now? :confused:

Anyway, I think the game needs to be shut down.

Nausinous
22-06-11, 08:19
I don't see the attraction, I mean if you're going to chose an alternate artificial reality at least choose one that's graphically beautiful and therefore much more immersive.

jajay119
22-06-11, 08:21
If it's addictive then it should be banned for people above 18, what better things do teenagers have to do with their time than sitting round playing video games*

*sarcasm

But seriously, all they can do is advise people of the addiction, then it is up to them to decide what is best to do. Theres too much namby pamby blame the producer, games, movies etc crap going on lately. Educate yourself of the dangers and take some responsibility for your actions.

pEhouse
22-06-11, 08:23
What could be done, though, instead of making a law on the player's age, is limit the daily play time, like the game automatically shuts down after two or three hours. .

There actually already IS this option to do that, so parents can control the time their children sit every day to play this game. This thread shows that most people just don't know about it, and children are likely not going to tell their parents either.
I even know about lots of adults using it for themselves, because once in the game you just lose track of time.

I seem to be the only one here actually playing WoW (or at least admitting it :p).... and I agree that it depends on the person rather than the game, even though when you play WoW you can most definitely tell how it is designed to keep the player coming back, with the daily quests and one time a year events etc. But I personally never struggled with an addiction, I can easily quit for a while and then go back to it when I feel like it. I also never ditched RL friends just say I could play. Some people are more prone to addictions than others. No age restriction will keep anyone from playing what they wanna play or taking it too far.

MyRaider4Life
22-06-11, 08:28
The better question is Should WoW be legal at all?

Seriously, what people do for this game is absolutely disgusting. I am so glad I don't play it or have not experienced playing it.

Caesum
22-06-11, 08:56
Those are single cases, in which every time it was only their own fault. What a silly idea that it should be illegal. In this case, every game should be as well, because World of Warcraft doesn't have anything that other games don't.

Alive_and_Funky
22-06-11, 09:02
I don't think so. The parents should be responsible for how much time their children spend on the game really.

Caesum
22-06-11, 11:17
It wouldn't change anything. If someone was unstable enough to do something like in those stories, then prohibition of something which this person is addicted to without consulting to the psychiatrist first would only force sick person to do something like that. It's not the games themselves which make people addicted, they aren't drugs, but people. And because of that we shouldn't try to look for answers in games, but in it's players and their environment.

larafan25
22-06-11, 13:42
But that woman is 27.

michaeldt
22-06-11, 13:58
Don't the terms of agreement of online games already sy that you need to be 18 or older to play? :confused: of course this wouldnt do much as everybody who is under 18 still clicks agree

Caesum
22-06-11, 14:13
Nope. This game is +12 and believe me, not without a reason.

TRfan23
22-06-11, 15:16
As I've grown up, my attachment to video games has declined considerably.

I wouldn't have the patience to spend 8 hours trying to understand how to play WoW.

I know two guys on my course play WoW, lost count of the amount of times they've bunked to play it :rolleyes:

Caesum
22-06-11, 15:36
Welcome to the club. :jmp: Year before I was playing games endlessly. Now I haven't even finished The Witcher 2, it's sooo boring. :vlol:

xXhayleyroxXx
22-06-11, 16:06
Nah, you shouldn't have to be legal. A lot of games are addicting and have the same effect.

WWETombRaider
22-06-11, 16:24
I don't think it's only WoW. Other video games have the same effect.

Btw the article is old, it happened 2 years ago.

a_pok
22-06-11, 16:29
there are more than age restrictions on drugs, and people are doing crazy things to get their hands on them!!
if they put on rules to limit MMO's like WoW, the forbidden fruit will get itself more desire, and crazier things will start to happen...

trXD
22-06-11, 16:33
People can spend their free time however they want I'm not going to be critical. And these cases where people kill so they can play WoW don't really mean anything, there are ****ed up and psychopathic people in the world, World Of Warcraft didn't make them so, if they didn't have a chance to do it over Wow they would have done it over something else.

moodydog
22-06-11, 16:36
maybe they should make WOW or similar games like an episodic game. You can only play at certain times of the day. Like a weekly program series...
In my personal opinion, I think WOW should stop being promoted, but that's not going to happen.

xXhayleyroxXx
22-06-11, 16:38
People can spend their free time however they want I'm not going to be critical. And these cases where people kill so they can play WoW don't really mean anything, there are ****ed up and psychopathic people in the world, World Of Warcraft didn't make them so, if they didn't have a chance to do it over Wow they would have done it over something else.

This. It would happen anyway. Its just a case of when and how.

leglion
22-06-11, 16:38

Everyone is a psychopath but it's our rational thinking that prevents us from doing psychopathic things. An addiction alters your rational thinking greatly.

I don't think it's only WoW. Other video games have the same effect.

Btw the article is old, it happened 2 years ago.
It's hard to find articles like this online because when you type in WoW, the actual site dominates the results.

Caesum
22-06-11, 16:59
maybe they should make WOW or similar games like an episodic game. You can only play at certain times of the day. Like a weekly program series...
In my personal opinion, I think WOW should stop being promoted, but that's not going to happen.
It is people's private decision when they want to play it. Make prohibition for one thing and one beautiful day everything will be prohibited. There must be some freedom in this world.

a_pok
22-06-11, 17:02

this could work, but what will happen of people have jobs/classes/commitments on the time the "episode airs" the result i think will be much much worse!!

Catracoth
22-06-11, 17:07
I personally know many people addicted to the game and i believe we even had a forum member being seriously addicted to it. WoW obviously has a formula that makes people come back for more like crack/meth. So should individuals under 18 be able to play the game?

Are you kidding me?
You're basically saying that all games should be restricted to 18+ if they're addictive. You think people over 18 can handle addictive games? Ironically, you then post an article about a woman over 18 who kills her children.

So, no.

moodydog
22-06-11, 17:13
this could work, but what will happen of people have jobs/classes/commitments on the time the "episode airs" the result i think will be much much worse!!

i dunno. Multiple airs per week :o

a_pok
22-06-11, 17:17
i dunno. Multiple airs per week :o

LOL!!

but that's more opportunities to leave class/job!

Caesum
22-06-11, 17:17
Are you kidding me?
You're basically saying that all games should be restricted to 18+ if they're addictive. You think people over 18 can handle addictive games? Ironically, you then post an article about a woman over 18 who kills her children.

So, no.
Exactly. It's people's problem, not game's itself. They should go to psychiatrist instead of playing computer games, and if they didn't, then it's only their fault. You cannot blame someone else for things that you've done.

leglion
22-06-11, 17:19
Are you kidding me?

So, no.

Did i say that? Don't beleive so. WoW is the only game i know that creates such an addiction. The WoW formula has an unproportional amount of people unnaturally addicted. You think people over 18 can handle addictive games? Ironically, you then post an article about a woman over 18 who kills her children.

Logic fail. If grown people are doing immature and irresponsible things like this, what will children do? Children often throw temper tantrums when they don't get what they want. That with an addiction is dangerous. Adults have much more self control than children which is why it would be dangerous to children. There's even a case of a child killing himself to re-inact a scene in the game. I even know someone who masturbates to their WoW girlfriend....

moodydog
22-06-11, 17:19
LOL!!

but that's more opportunities to leave class/job!

yeh but thinking about it... even less opportunity to play WOW all week so its al'good. :ton:

a_pok
22-06-11, 17:22
yeh but thinking about it... even less opportunity to play WOW all week so its al'good. :ton:

ROFL!:vlol:

GeekOfComedy
22-06-11, 17:25
I hope this doesn't happen, on one of the servers I play on I conquered the market and put runecloth into the nearly-extinct list, i'm making so much off noobs. So this better not happen :mis:

moodydog
22-06-11, 17:26
Or another Idea, like fags, raise the price. For the people who are addicted, to get up to 168 hours per week would be ridiculously expensive - like 30 per month. Then for the people who have a life outside of WOW, who only play for like up to 5 hours a week, only get 5 hours a week (+ plus loyalty bonus after such and such hours of playing) could work out a lot cheaper than the normal subscription costs, like 4 a month.

leglion
22-06-11, 17:28
Or another Idea, like fags, raise the price. For the people who are addicted, to get up to 168 hours per week would be ridiculously expensive - like 30 per month. Then for the people who have a life outside of WOW, who only play for like up to 5 hours a week, only get 5 hours a week (+ plus loyalty bonus after such and such hours of playing) could work out a lot cheaper than the normal subscription costs, like 4 a month.

That's not going to do anything for someone with an addiction. People have sold their children just so they can get their next fix so...

lara c. fan
22-06-11, 17:31
That's not going to do anything for someone with an addiction. People have sold their children just so they can get their next fix so...

So the adults can be as bad as the children, right?

moodydog
22-06-11, 17:31

I never said it was going to happen...

You mean morons, not people.

leglion
22-06-11, 17:35
I never said it was going to happen...

You mean morons, not people.

Everyone with an addiction becomes a moron.

a_pok
22-06-11, 17:35

or like buy hours instead of months.
like 5$ an hour not (i have no idea how much you pay for such games) for unlimited hours each month...

TRfan23
22-06-11, 17:36

Oh I'm sure the ones who are addicted will find ways to pay that price even if it's really high...

Plus do you really think Blizzard would want to drive their customers away?

They don't care whether their customers are addicted and kill their own children.

They only care about the one thing that all businesses care about - Profit ;)

Caesum
22-06-11, 17:37
Have you ever thought that this game has such many addicted people because it has more than 12 milion players? And how many stories have you put so far guys, two, three? :rolleyes:

And one more thing. Blizzard CARES. There was once guy who whispered to gm that if he won't give him money he will kill himself, it was just a joke. After some time police knocked to his doors. :wve:

!Lara Croft!
22-06-11, 17:38
Don't the terms of agreement of online games already sy that you need to be 18 or older to play? :confused: of course this wouldnt do much as everybody who is under 18 still clicks agree

Does anyone actually read the terms of agreement for anything before clicking 'Agree'?

a_pok
22-06-11, 17:41
Does anyone actually read the terms of agreement for anything before clicking 'Agree'?

i know i don't!!
but i know i should...

leglion
22-06-11, 17:42
Have you ever thought that this game has such many addicted people because it has more than 12 milion players? And how many stories have you put so far guys, two, three? :rolleyes:

You don't think there are more?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/03/new-mexico-mom-gets-25-years-for-starving-daughter/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Two-Fanatic-World-of-Warctaft-Gamers-Have-Died-Becouse-Of-WoW-11821.shtml

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/11/18/parents-suing-blizzard-for-world-of-warcraft-addiction/

http://tribes.tribe.net/4eb4e34c-c86d-465a-bf0b-e29cd3a6e993/thread/d69b95d3-a573-42c4-a373-e8d305d10e00

That's only on the first two pages.

lara c. fan
OK, let's all be super serious and stuff now. Compared the number of people who play WoW and do not have an addiction, the number of those who do is peanuts. You see a lot of people that are addicted on the WoW forums? Of course they're going to be active on there. They like the game so much they're addicted to it. Those who aren't addicted can still post there often, however, or they could not post there at all. One message board isn't representative of the whole fan-base. For example, a majority of TRF could not like something, but it could be extremely well-received with the fan-base as a whole, making it well-received overall.

By suggesting all these price hikes, sure, you're hitting the minority out there who are addicted. Maybe. Or maybe they'll just carry on playing it anyway (Because they're, you know, addicted), and they'll end up poor, begging on the streets or something. All the while, those who liked playing the game but weren't addicted to it are suffering due to those same price hikes. Does it seem like such a good idea now? Making the majority pay for the minority's actions.

Caesum
Well... :rolleyes:

leglion - Over two pages and you've found four link only? Wow, surely it is more than 50% of players.

leglion
22-06-11, 17:43
Well... :rolleyes:

Do you want more?

Caesum
22-06-11, 17:45
Read once more. And yes, if you give me proof that at least 30% of players are addicted to this game, then I'll believe you.

Don't you see? Your proofs are nothing but single cases compared to over 12 milion players who didn't try to kill anyone from their families so far. It's obvious that they have more addicted people than every other games, because they have more users generally. Even if they have five hundred cases like this, it's still not too much compared to normal ones.

MangelinaJolie
22-06-11, 17:53
^ Exactly. The number of people who play this and the general reception it has is why it stands out among anything else that is equally addictive.

I used to play it a lot a few years ago and I have a current subscription, yet I barely log in as I got bored with it (and if I do it's for about 5 minutes). In my opinion I feel that the entire addiction argument is blown out of proportion. Yes, people are addicted and the game can certainly be addicting, but no, it doesn't make you kill your children or do something so clearly insane. That is entirely a fault in the person that could have been provoked by anything else, and it just happened to be WoW.

Also leglion, did you seriously link that Fox News article? :vlol:

leglion
22-06-11, 17:54
Read once more. And yes, if you give me proof that at least 30% of players are addicted to this game, then I'll believe you.

Dr. Maressa Hecht Orzack, a clinical psychologist at McLean Hospital in Massachusetts, has come forward to claim that up to 40 percent of World of Warcraft players are addicted to the game. Can someone really be addicted to a video game? Where do you draw the line? When does the fantasy world of online role playing bleed in to your daily life?

The topic of addiction comes up pretty often when you're talking about World of Warcraft -- as Dr. Hilarie Cash told us, this is exactly the kind of game that brings out addictive tendencies in people who already have them. They've dealt with it in Sweden and elsewhere in the world before, and the most recent place to step up and face the problem is Singapore. This article talks about a three-year study that reveals some interesting facts about how and why Singaporean primary and secondary school students play their MMOs. The average amount of playtime per week, according to the study, is 27 hours. That's over a day of playtime per week.

Still, while that seems high (and remember, it's just an average according to this study, which apparently isn't done until the end of the year), I like the government's take at the end of the article: regulating it, either by attacking the games or putting unenforceable rules on the Internet, just won't work. If these kids are playing too much (and generally the rule is that if your life is suffering, you're playing too much -- it's hard to believe that a kid going to school can play for 27 hours a week and still have time to do homework and sleep as they need to), then it's their and their parents' responsibility to get educated and fix it. Lots of people play MMOs, but it's up to those who do it unhealthily to get help for themselves.

According to a Swedish youth organization study, 'World of Warcraft' is the most addictive game on the planet. Which is cool if you're a gamer and immune to such things, but decidedly less cool if you're an addict who hasn't gotten out of your comfy lounge chair with your laptop balanced precariously on your stomach and pizza delivery boys routinely making sure you don't die of starvation for the past 18 months.

The Youth Care Foundation called the game "the cocaine of the computer games world." We should point out that's actually a step down on the hard drugs ladder, as the game is commonly referred to was World of Warcrack. The study, which has yet to be published, is based on interviews with parents and gamers who've contacted the foundation.

An employee at the foundation noted that they have not dealt with a single case of game addiction in which WoW wasn't involved. Founded in 1991, the foundation deals with all sorts of addiction; in 2007, 170 of the 2,000 calls it received concerned video or computer games.

well?

Caesum
22-06-11, 17:57
Congratulations, but you've missed one particular thing:
The topic of addiction comes up pretty often when you're talking about World of Warcraft -- as Dr. Hilarie Cash told us, this is exactly the kind of game that brings out addictive tendencies in people who already have them.

moodydog
22-06-11, 17:59
Everyone with an addiction becomes a moron.

no anyone who sells their children to cater an addiction is a moron

leglion
22-06-11, 18:00
Congratulations, but you've missed one particular thing:

How exactly do you interpret that? Obviously a great deal of humans have addictive tendencies if 40% of the WoW gamers are addicted. Which isn't a "peanut" amount as previously stated.

moodydog
22-06-11, 18:02
Oh I'm sure the ones who are addicted will find ways to pay that price even if it's really high...

Plus do you really think Blizzard would want to drive their customers away?

They don't care whether their customers are addicted and kill their own children.

They only care about the one thing that all businesses care about - Profit ;)

Like I said, its not a workable plan, its an idea. Like its actually going to happen ;)

leglion
22-06-11, 18:04
no anyone who sells their children to cater an addiction is a moron

You'd have to be an idiot in the first place to sell your children. You don't become a moron after you do it.

Caesum
22-06-11, 18:04
How exactly do you interpret that?
That if someone who has addictive tendecies will bring them out without special help of World of Warcraft, it could be every other thing as well.

Obviously a great deal of humans have addictive tendencies if 40% of the WoW gamers are addicted. Which isn't a "peanut" amount as previously stated.
Still not that much to be worried about. Yes, it is 40%, but still you can't say that it is 40% of people who tried to hurt or kill someone. If so, then what kind of horror would be with cigarettes, which are addictive to every kind of people?

trXD
22-06-11, 18:05
Everyone is a psychopath but it's our rational thinking that prevents us from doing psychopathic things. An addiction alters your rational thinking greatly.

All people are not naturally psychopathic, a very small amount are born that way though, and a normal person can become a sociopath through traumatic experiences, addiction to a game can't do that.

If you honestly think psychopathy, the lack of any conscious and willingness to do anything for ourselves no matter what, and even horrifically hurt people for the pure sport of it, is in us all, rather than a mental deformation, I don't have much to say.

We all have animal instincts in us, and our rational thinking prevents us from acting on that, but psychopathy has nothing to do with instincts, in fact it is something only a very evolved species is capable off.

Mad Tony
22-06-11, 18:06
I haven't read through the whole topic but World of Warcraft after all is in principle just like any other game. Even if I had an addictive personality I wouldn't get addicted to it because the game doesn't interest me, but something like Oblivion for example would certainly get me addicted because I really enjoy said game.

leglion
22-06-11, 18:08
That if someone who has addictive tendecies will bring them out without special help of World of Warcraft, it could be every other thing as well.

Still not that much to be worried about. Yes, it is 40%, but still you can't say that it is 40% of people who tried to hurt or kill someone. If so, then what kind of horror would be with cigarettes, which are addictive to every kind of people?

Not that much? That amount is abnormal. There are addicts for every game but for WoW it's friggen 40%! 40% is 10% away from half of the players! It's not normal! WoW is the only game i know of that has websites set up to help with addictions. :rolleyes:

trXD
22-06-11, 18:11
Not that much? That amount is abnormal. There are addicts for every game but for WoW it's friggen 40%! 40% is 10% away from half of the players! It's not normal! WoW is the only game i know of that has websites set up to help with addictions. :rolleyes:

You completely ignored his point.

leglion
22-06-11, 18:12
You completely ignored his point.

It's because i thought his point was irrelevant.

MangelinaJolie
22-06-11, 18:14
It's because i thought his point was irrelevant.

How is it irrelevant when you were the one to bring it up in the first place?

Caesum
22-06-11, 18:17
If it was irrevelant, then ok, I'll turn the chessboard. Do you have a single idea of what would happen if really this 40% is addicted that much to WoW to kill and someone would turn it off? If there is that much of addicted people, then lack of WoW would just bring them to do unthinkable things. But I see you really want that.

pEhouse
22-06-11, 18:18
Did i say that? Don't beleive so. WoW is the only game i know that creates such an addiction. The WoW formula has an unproportional amount of people unnaturally addicted.

Just because it's the only game you know that can cause such an addiction, doesn't mean it is the only one. I know someone who was/might still be addicted to Call of Duty. Just as an example.

How exactly do you interpret that? Obviously a great deal of humans have addictive tendencies if 40% of the WoW gamers are addicted. Which isn't a "peanut" amount as previously stated.

Wait, this woman said it was her perception that 40% of WoW players are addicted. To believe this number and take it as a fact, I would have to see more than just her word - e.g. scientific studies that document her work.

leglion
22-06-11, 18:21
How is it irrelevant when you were the one to bring it up in the first place?

I never brought up that point. I said there are people that kill because of the addiction. My point was to emphasize how dangerous a WoW addiction can be. There are other cases of this happening but the majority of the cases are for WoW. So what does that say about the game? But that's beyond the point. The point is that it is highly addictive. It's been said to be the equivalent to cocaine by researchers. All crack addicts are not going to kill people to feed their habit but the odds of it happening are larger if they are addicted which is why addictive substances like crack are illegal.

Caesum
22-06-11, 18:25
But still it is addictive to people who already have addictive tendencies. You cannot do anything about this. If there wasn't World of Warcraft, then they surely would find something else to be addicted to. Also you forgot that it is still person's parents problem and they should take care of their children. World of Warcraft has nothing to do with it, Blizzard has made everything they could to help parents by making parental controls and quick access to phone if someone said that he will do something stupid.

moodydog
22-06-11, 18:32
You'd have to be an idiot in the first place to sell your children. You don't become a moron after you do it.

You just repeated what I said in a different way.

leglion
22-06-11, 18:38
But still it is addictive to people who already have addictive tendencies. You cannot do anything about this. If there wasn't World of Warcraft, then they surely would find something else to be addicted to.

What is an addictive tendency? Why would you say it's insignificant if 40% of the players have it? Have you ever taken statistics? If 40% of WoW players have addictive tendencies, how much of the world, in theory, would have it? 40% is not something that can be easily brushed aside as insignificant. Personally, i think most of the world has addictive tendencies. They come back to things that make them feel good, allow them to get away from reality, Relieves the stress. The reason all games don't need to be monitored like wow is because for one, other games are not as addictive. Secondly, Other games end at one point, WoW is meant to go on forever which is why a WoW addiction is far more harmful to someone compared to a came like COD which is not very long at all.

MangelinaJolie
22-06-11, 18:41
I never brought up that point. I said there are people that kill because of the addiction. My point was to emphasize how dangerous a WoW addiction can be. There are other cases of this happening but the majority of the cases are for WoW. So what does that say about the game? But that's beyond the point. The point is that it is highly addictive. It's been said to be the equivalent to cocaine by researchers. All crack addicts are not going to kill people to feed their habit but the odds of it happening are larger if they are addicted which is why addictive substances like crack are illegal.

You did bring it up, then. I know that isn't the main point of your argument and is rather a device of it, but it's a part of it nonetheless. If you say a WoW addiction is dangerous and he brings that argument to a general addiction such as smoking, it's following your point.

leglion
22-06-11, 18:42
You did bring it up, then. I know that isn't the main point of your argument and is rather a device of it, but it's a part of it nonetheless. If you say a WoW addiction is dangerous and he brings that argument to a general addiction such as smoking, it's following your point.

All addictions are dangerous. In all cases they harm the individual who is addicted but in some cases they harm someone else. That is something that can't be argued with.

Caesum
22-06-11, 18:43
Do you have even read those quotes you've showed here some posts before? And do you have idea how many people there is in the WHOLE WORLD? And still your articles you're reffering to aren't even supported by
scientific studies that document her work.
Everything you said is just your opinion, unsupported by any official fact. That's another problem that you need to live it. If it was really that addictive, then it would be banned like every other drug.

leglion
22-06-11, 18:50
Do you have even read those quotes you've showed here some posts before? And do you have idea how many people there is in the WHOLE WORLD? And still your articles you're reffering to aren't even supported by

Everything you say are just your opinion, unsupported by any official fact. That's another problem that you need to live it. If it was really that addictive, then it would be banned like every other drug.

So i took it you never took statistics?
Dr. Maressa Hecht Orzack who came up with the 40% figure did a study on a gaming forum. She would have done this by asking question like "how many hours do you spend playing wow?", "Does WoW get in the way of your everyday life?", "Has WoW caused a noticeable deterioration in your social life", etc.

pEhouse
22-06-11, 18:53
Everything you said is just your opinion, unsupported by any official fact. That's another problem that you need to live it. If it was really that addictive, then it would be banned like every other drug.

I take it this comment wasn't directed at me? :p

@ leglion
As a matter of fact, I am studying sociology and therefore have to take classes in statistics. But could you provide me with a link to said study?

Simochka
22-06-11, 18:53
Some people here are like crack addicts talking about crack.

Some people can handle WoW but most can't. There are loads of WoW players who play it like 24/7. It's so stupid and they are losing their friends and their life has no meaning anymore. If the only things you do in your life is eating, sleeping and playing WoW or another game then your life is totally pointless.
People should learn to play a healthy amount of time like 1-2 hours a day.

Nicotine is a addictive drug and it's legal. Many drugs are legal and can still be bought on internet. And they work like crack, meth, ecstasy etc...

Caesum
22-06-11, 18:58
pEhouse - It was to leglion. :p

Leglion - Please try to read what you're quoting before even talking about it. Allow me to lighten your mind:
Dr. Maressa Hecht Orzack, a clinical psychologist at McLean Hospital in Massachusetts, has come forward to claim that up to 40 percent of World of Warcraft players are addicted to the game. Can someone really be addicted to a video game? Where do you draw the line? When does the fantasy world of online role playing bleed in to your daily life?
here is nothing about that it was checked by her or someone else. She just claims that there is up to 40% addicted. She didn't say though that it was confirmed.

Super Badnik
22-06-11, 18:59
In other words "should the age certificate go up to 18?"

leglion
22-06-11, 18:59
I take it this comment wasn't directed at me? :p

@ leglion
As a matter of fact, I am studying sociology and therefore have to take classes in statistics. But could you provide me with a link to said study?

http://www.switched.com/2009/02/27/study-world-of-warcraft-as-addictive-as-cocaine/
The study, which has yet to be published, is based on interviews with parents and gamers who've contacted the foundation.

http://wow.joystiq.com/tag/wow-addiction-study/
They've dealt with it in Sweden and elsewhere in the world before, and the most recent place to step up and face the problem is Singapore. This article talks about a three-year study that reveals some interesting facts about how and why Singaporean primary and secondary school students play their MMOs. The average amount of playtime per week, according to the study, is 27 hours. That's over a day of playtime per week.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/08/7459.ars
Dr. Orzack, who is the founder and coordinator of the Computer Addiction Service, told Ars in an e-mail that the 40 percent figure came from "a forum that Nick Yee runs" but did not reveal any additional methodology for arriving at this number. She added that "even if the percentage is 5 to 10 percent which is standard for most addictive behaviors, it is a huge number of people who are out of control." Orzack states that she has been studying the problem for the last 11 years.

Uzi master
22-06-11, 19:07
So i took it you never took statistics?
Dr. Maressa Hecht Orzack who came up with the 40% figure did a study on a gaming forum. She would have done this by asking question like "how many hours do you spend playing wow?", "Does WoW get in the way of your everyday life?", "Has WoW caused a noticeable deterioration in your social life", etc.

do you know how Bias that is? In a forum for a game of course the people on it will more often than not be more active than those who don't, and the majority of people who play a game most likely won't be on forums.

pEhouse
22-06-11, 19:07
I have found this here interesting quote about the 40% :

On August 8, 2006, Maressa Orzack was quoted in an interview that she felt that over 40 percent of all World of Warcraft subscribers were addicted to the game.

I'd like to highlight the word felt. Her study is unreliable as she hasn't asked enough percentage of the player base.

Edit: also:

Orzack later described the 40 percent figure as an unscientific estimate

leglion
22-06-11, 19:09
I have found this here interesting quote about the 40% :

I'd like to highlight the word felt. Her study is unreliable as she hasn't asked enough percentage of the player base.

Very well.

Caesum
22-06-11, 19:14
And:
The study, which has yet to be published, is based on interviews with parents and gamers who've contacted the foundation.
So the first one has nothing that would prove your point except some kind of advertisement of this study, which link to wasn't mentioned anyway.

leglion
22-06-11, 19:20
And:

So the first one has nothing that would prove your point except some kind of advertisement of this study, which link to wasn't mentioned anyway.

That was back then. The study is now published. Even if it wasn't published, the does not make their findings invalid.

Caesum
22-06-11, 19:22
Where? Is this the one you've add links to? In which our beloved doctor Maressa Orzack felt something? Not cigarettes of course.
Oh, or maybe this one in which there weren't any percents at all? Surely it endorsed your point.

pEhouse
22-06-11, 19:25
^^ Well I have asked you where I can find it.. but the links you provided are merely articles who talk in parts even very critical about her study. Not to be a bitch about it, I have wrote a term-paper about this subject last year and am very interested to read what she came up with. Judging from the quotes and the things I've read in this thread so far, she wasn't so sure about her own study in the first place :p

leglion
22-06-11, 19:28
Where? Is this the one you've add links to? In which our beloved doctor Maressa Orzack felt something? Not cigarettes of course.

Oh no. The one carried out by the singapore youth organization. They're not the same studies. I hope you realize that.

http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/336/55974.html

There's also the one done by the Swedish youth organization which compares it to cocaine and they state that they've NEVER dealt with a case of gaming addiction where WoW was not involved.

Caesum
22-06-11, 19:33
Thank you, unfortunately, there's nothing about particular, World of Warcraft players. I cannot agree with your point then. Sorry.

leglion
22-06-11, 19:36
Thank you, unfortunately, there's nothing about particular, World of Warcraft players. I cannot agree with your point then. Sorry.

This still leaves the study by the swedes who compare WoW to cocaine. ;)

Sharon_14
22-06-11, 19:39
World of Whorecraft? Isn't that an X-rated game? :confused:

interstellardave
22-06-11, 19:40
Just imagine when 3D and motion controls and who knows what else all combines to create the next generation of MMO's. Or maybe just your own personal virtual world of sorts... even more people will get hooked.

leglion
22-06-11, 19:40
World of Whorecraft? Isn't that an 21+ game? :confused:

Apparently it's 12+.

Caesum
22-06-11, 19:41
I understand you're referencing to the advertisment of this study, which link to you've given before? If so, then still, there is just a sentence, without any references. And even if you're referencing to this 170 people. It's still 170 out of 12 milion WoW players.

pEhouse
22-06-11, 19:42
Oh no. The one carried out by the singapore youth organization. They're not the same studies. I hope you realize that.

http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/336/55974.html

It says they estimate between 7 - 11% of pathological players - also, the study was only done in Singapore and according to this article, they tend to spend more time playing video games than gamers in the western world.

It also states out of the percentage of people addicted, over a period of 2 years, more people stop playing pathologically than start.

I can't click on the link for the swedish study, unfortunately. It says the link is broken.

Sharon_14
22-06-11, 19:43
I thought this game was meant for bored adults whom are not happy with their sex life. :confused:

Caesum
22-06-11, 19:44
This topic is about World of Warcraft, World of Whorecraft.

Sharon_14
22-06-11, 19:45
But that is what I'm talking about.

Caesum
22-06-11, 19:46
Then try to educate yourself by wikipedia or even World of Warcraft trial. Both you can find via google of course.

leglion
22-06-11, 19:46
I understand you're referencing to the advertisment of this study, which link to you've given before? If so, then still, there is just a sentence, without any references. And even if you're referencing to this 170 people. It's still 170 out of 12 milion WoW players.

Advertising? that was the study. If you don't trust them, then you might trust a swedish news site. http://www.thelocal.se/17840/20090226/

pEhouse
22-06-11, 19:49
Why do some people feel the need to come in here and interrupt an interesting and respectful discussion with unqualified comments? What are you trying to achieve with that?

Sharon_14
22-06-11, 19:50
Then try to educate yourself by wikipedia or even World of Warcraft trial. Both you can find via google of course.

Haha, well... No thanks, I'd rather not. :p

/Runs away quickly

pEhouse
22-06-11, 19:52
Advertising? that was the study. If you don't trust them, then you might trust a swedish news site. http://www.thelocal.se/17840/20090226/

These are both just articles who refer to the study, and by the way, the first one is actually really making fun of this study.
None of them provide any scientific information :confused:
(BTW, who trusts the news?? :p)

But, browsing this website, I found this article:
http://www.thelocal.se/33342/20110421/
;)

Caesum
22-06-11, 19:53
Thank you for the link, I was trying to get to the http://spelfritt.se/ instead of the second one. :vlol:

Ok, back to the topic:
The foundation's report is as yet unpublished and is based on the experiences of gamers and their parents who have been in contact with the group.

The only thing that is about WoW itself is:
There is not a single case of game addiction that we have worked with in which World of Warcraft has not played a part
but then:
Of the 2,000 calls received by the foundation in 2007, 170 concerned computer games, Metro reports.
But still, it is from just a one country and World of Warcraft players are from all the world. 170 cases out of 12 milion WoW players.

leglion
22-06-11, 19:54
These are both just articles who refer to the study, and by the way, the first one is actually really making fun of this study.
None of them provide any scientific information :confused:
(BTW, who trusts the news?? :p)

But, browsing this website, I found this article:
http://www.thelocal.se/33342/20110421/
;)

Does it even matter though? I can't be bothered to go hunt down the original article.

Caesum
22-06-11, 19:58
You don't have any proof in which it wasn't just a "feeling" or "afraid of". If you want to endorse your statement you need then to have at least one reference in which there is said that after studies it can be officialy confirmed that at least 30% of WoW players are addicted and dangerous.

Uzi master
22-06-11, 19:59
Haha, well... No thanks, I'd rather not. :p

/Runs away quickly

why? you think its porn don't you?

...wait, if it was I'd bet you'd be all over it :p

leglion
22-06-11, 20:01
You don't have any proof in which it wasn't just a "feeling" or "afraid of". If you want to endorse your statement you need then to have at least one reference in which there is said that after studies it can be officialy confirmed that at least 30% of WoW players are addicted and dangerous.

I like how you're completely ignoring the swedish study.

TheCoolJazz
22-06-11, 20:01
The world is going crazy! I mean she is a grownup! She does not suppose to be playing RPG's online!
Ugh today's world, I'm too an addict to the game but i do not kill my parents for not giving me time to play it :mad:

Caesum
22-06-11, 20:02
leglion - I completely fallen in love how you ignored #115 post.

Tony9595
22-06-11, 20:03
I mean she is a grownup! She does not suppose to be playing RPG's online!

What?

pEhouse
22-06-11, 20:04
Does it even matter though? I can't be bothered to go hunt down the original article.

I like how you're completely ignoring the swedish study.

I haven't seen any swedish study, only news articles!
And of course it matters. You cannot come in here, open such a thread, throwing numbers around and selling assumptions as facts. If you wanna start a such discussion, you need to base your side on something more than just an opinion.

TheCoolJazz
22-06-11, 20:06
What?

Post #1 I believe is the answer in case you missed it..

Tony9595
22-06-11, 20:09
I did read it, however I can't see anything wrong with an adult person playing an online RPG.

Caesum
22-06-11, 20:10
My mother is 50 and she fanaticaly plays Cradle of Rome. :vlol:

TheCoolJazz
22-06-11, 20:11
I did read it, however I can't see anything wrong with an adult person playing an online RPG.

Playing is ok but being addicted to it till that kind of an act is not ok..

Tony9595
^^ Be careful, she might want to kill you.

See? That logic just doesn't works. That woman had a problem, that's it.

Playing is ok but being addicted to it till that kind of an act is not ok..

I agree with that, but you first said:
She does not suppose to be playing RPG's online!

That's why I asked. That's all :p

pEhouse
The world is going crazy! I mean she is a grownup! She does not suppose to be playing RPG's online!
Ugh today's world, I'm too an addict to the game but i do not kill my parents for not giving me time to play it :mad:

And you'd be surprised by the amount of people older than the age of 30 playing this game :p
I find it ridiculous to forbid anyone past a certain age doing what they like to do for fun.

leglion
22-06-11, 20:14
I haven't seen any swedish study, only news articles!
And of course it matters. You cannot come in here, open such a thread, throwing numbers around and selling assumptions as facts. If you wanna start a such discussion, you need to base your side on something more than just an opinion.
I did. I based it on a study and actual events. It's hardly my problem if you don't trust news articles.

Thank you for the link, I was trying to get to the http://spelfritt.se/ instead of the second one. :vlol:

Ok, back to the topic:

The only thing that is about WoW itself is:

but then:

But still, it is from just a one country and World of Warcraft players are from all the world. 170 cases out of 12 milion WoW players.
What does them being from one country have anything to do with it? The point is the game is very addictive. As proven by the study.
They state that they got 2000 calls dealing with all sorts of addictions. Of those calls, 170 of them had to do with gaming addiction, with those 170 calls, WoW was involved.
Whetther the study was published or not is irrelevant. What we know for sure is that there findings say it's very addictive.

TheCoolJazz
22-06-11, 20:15
I agree with that, but you first said:
That's why I asked. That's all :p

Oh opss.. wrong word used sorry i meant addicted :p

Caesum
22-06-11, 20:16
Of those calls, 170 of them had to do with gaming addiction, with those 170 calls, WoW was involved.
170 out of 12 milions. As I said, it's still too low number to do anything with it.

pEhouse
22-06-11, 20:17
I did. I based it on a study and actual events. It's hardly my problem if you don't trust news articles.

Obviously you've never had to do scientific work. With an attitude like that, and NEWS ARTICLES as sources, NO ONE in the scientific world will ever take you seriously.

TheCoolJazz
22-06-11, 20:18
^ Agreed

Tony9595
22-06-11, 20:21
Oh! This reminds me of...

Fat Teens Sue McDonald's (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,63698,00.html)
Kids just can't resist those happy meals, says one adviser on the case.
Fox News

:vlol:

leglion
22-06-11, 20:21
170 out of 12 milions. As I said, it's still too low number to do anything with it.

"in 2007, 170 of the 2,000 calls it received concerned video or computer games."
Shameless fabrication.

TheCoolJazz
22-06-11, 20:22
Fat Teens Sue McDonald's (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,63698,00.html) Fox News

Caesum
22-06-11, 20:23
"in 2007, 170 of the 2,000 calls it received concerned video or computer games."
Shameless fabrication.
As I said, 170 swedish players out of 12 milion World of Warcraft players, in which we can't be even sure if this 170 is a number of World of Warcraft players or any game players at all.

Sharon_14
22-06-11, 20:24
why? you think its porn don't you?

...wait, if it was I'd bet you'd be all over it :p

Lolno.

I honestly think its a ****ty video game that children shouldn't be allowed to play, that's all.

leglion
22-06-11, 20:25
As I said, 170 swedish players out of 12 milion World of Warcraft players, in which we can't be even sure if this 170 is a number of World of Warcraft players or any game players at all.

And you point is? The game is addictive. end of story. Why is it that all of the video game addiction calls they've gotten are only for world of warcraft?

Uzi master
22-06-11, 20:26

Fat Teens Sue McDonald's (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,63698,00.html)

Fox News

the verdict: guilty

for reperations McDonalds must provide four free liposuctions and free cheesburgers for a year.

Caesum
22-06-11, 20:27
And why is it that they've later said that 170 is a number of GAMES PLAYERS and not just World of Warcraft players? Maybe World of Warcraft is addictive, but still percentage of addicted players is too small to do anything. End of story.

pEhouse
22-06-11, 20:28
And you point is? The game is addictive. end of story. Why is it that all of the video game addiction calls they've gotten are only for world of warcraft?

You are really starting to make me laugh.
Re-read some of the "Sources" YOU yourself posted.

leglion
22-06-11, 20:29
And why is it that they've later said that 170 is a number of GAMES PLAYERS and not just World of Warcraft players? Maybe World of Warcraft is addictive, but still percentage of addicted players is too small to do anything. End of story.

An employee at the foundation noted that they have not dealt with a single case of game addiction in which WoW wasn't involved.
Actually they did.

TheCoolJazz
22-06-11, 20:31

Reading all the sources will make you understand why your post failed so much..

leglion
22-06-11, 20:34
Reading all the sources will make you understand why your post failed so much..

Elaborate.

Caesum
22-06-11, 20:47
Actually they did.
I repeat my question which you ignored. If they did, why then they changed it later into "games players" instead of "World of Warcraft players"?

leglion
22-06-11, 20:50
I repeat my question which you ignored. If they did, why then they changed it later into "games players" instead of "World of Warcraft players"?

By game they meant world of war craft. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out. If they already stated all the cases involved world of warcraft, they don't need to repeat it again. If they did repeat it again, it would be rather repetitive.

Caesum
22-06-11, 20:51
Games
Games

It doesn't take a genius to read correctly.

leglion
22-06-11, 20:55
Games
Games

It doesn't take a genius to read correctly.

My point still stands valid.

TheCoolJazz
22-06-11, 20:59
My point still stands valid.

I actually see a difference between Game and Games

leglion
22-06-11, 20:59
I actually see a difference between Game and Games

I do too but my point still stands valid.

TheCoolJazz
22-06-11, 21:01

How exactly? At first it was only WoW but then they changed it to Games meaning its not only WoW but other games also..

Mr.Burns
22-06-11, 21:01
My personal experience: I've a few friends who more or less vanished from their real life social life as they would play WoW all the time, one friend's wife nearly left him, I've met a few customers who have gotten divorced because one of the spouses was addicted to WoW. On a positive side, a friend of mine met his wife on WoW. Personally I don't see the point in the game but I can see how it can be very addicting.

Caesum
22-06-11, 21:04
Your lovely article you're referencing to doesn't know if those 170 swedish players were from World of Warcraft only or from the whole gaming world. If you're still thinking then that you're right, ok, but you haven't anything that would prove it. In this case, your attitude then is senseless. And so I'm going to bed.

leglion
22-06-11, 21:49
Your lovely article you're referencing to doesn't know if those 170 swedish players were from World of Warcraft only or from the whole gaming world. If you're still thinking then that you're right, ok, but you haven't anything that would prove it. In this case, your attitude then is senseless. And so I'm going to bed.

They SAID they were all from world of warcraft. So on what basis do you say they don't know? And what don't you understand about the word "involved"? It means that although world of war craft is part of it, there are more games. They used the plural form of because there were more games that the players were addicted to, but they condemn WoW because it is the only one consistent in all the addicts. 170 number is only from 2007 so I can't imagine what the number would be if they added up everything since the organization started. At this point, i have no attitude. I'm just annoyed that you can't understand something that (IMO) is ridiculously easy to understand.

Caesum
22-06-11, 22:10
And you have just prove to yourself that it's not World of Warcraft itself that is addictive, but a state of it's players mind that get's addictive to games, not just World of Warcraft. :wve:

leglion
22-06-11, 22:27
And you have just prove to yourself that it's not World of Warcraft itself that is addictive, but a state of it's players mind that get's addictive to games, not just World of Warcraft. :wve:

Something has to be addictive for someone to be addicted to it. The very fact that all the people that contacted them pertaining to game addiction since 1991 were addicted to WoW, says something about how addicting the game is. The FCC is even blaming the game for college dropouts! You don't hear this about games like starcraft or COD do you? no. Which brings me to this question: do you, or do you not think WoW is abnormally addictive?

pEhouse
22-06-11, 22:38
WoW didn't even exist in 1991, so how can you claim that all game addicts since that time mentioned WoW as one of their addictions?

Of course it happens with games like SC or CoD. But the media likes to use WoW as a scape goat since it has such a huge player base and is commonly known. It's only a representative for the massive amount of games out there.
Also, people with tendencies to addictions and escapism can find addiction everywhere, not only in a game called World of Warcraft. Did you know there is even such a thing as a sport addiction?

Capt. Murphy
22-06-11, 22:38
With that other topic about 'Born this way' - I now read this topics title as...

Should you not be a bastard to be able to play WoW?

leglion
22-06-11, 22:44
WoW didn't even exist in 1991, so how can you claim that all game addicts since that time mentioned WoW as one of their addictions?

Of course it happens with games like SC or CoD. But the media likes to use WoW as a scape goat since it has such a huge player base and is commonly known.
Also, people with tendencies to addictions and escapism can find addiction everywhere, not only in a game called World of Warcraft. Did you know there is even such a thing as a sport addiction?

1991 is when the organization was established.
So you're telling me that if a mother killed her children to play starcraft, it wouldn't make the news? Excuse the abbreviated profanity, but BS! I'd understand if you say it's represented more but there are no cases of it. I think you take me for an imbecile. Or course i know that. There are addictions for almost everything on earth.

pEhouse
22-06-11, 23:00
1991 might be when the organisation was established, but not World of Warcraft. Let me quote your statement:

The very fact that all the people that contacted them pertaining to game addiction since 1991 were addicted to WoW

You said all the people that contacted them since 1991 were addicted to WoW, which is simply a wrong statement because if WoW didn't even exist yet back then, people in that time can not have claimed to be addicted to it.

Oh, did you not hear about massacres at schools and Counterstrike and other first person shooters being blamed for it? Yea, there are other cases and games mentioned which all claimed that these games made people violent. I wonder about the huge amount of people who play it and never get violent, which obviously is the larger part. Same as in WoW. It's a small minority that gets violent over a gaming addiction, and that's because they were prone to psychological malfunctions in the first place.

If you do know that there are addictions for almost everything on earth, then why jump on WoW and condemn it as the devil itself? Do you wanna ban sports from school because kids should be at least 18?

lara c. fan
22-06-11, 23:02
OK, let's all be super serious and stuff now. Compared the number of people who play WoW and do not have an addiction, the number of those who do is peanuts. You see a lot of people that are addicted on the WoW forums? Of course they're going to be active on there. They like the game so much they're addicted to it. Those who aren't addicted can still post there often, however, or they could not post there at all. One message board isn't representative of the whole fan-base. For example, a majority of TRF could not like something, but it could be extremely well-received with the fan-base as a whole, making it well-received overall.

By suggesting all these price hikes, sure, you're hitting the minority out there who are addicted. Maybe. Or maybe they'll just carry on playing it anyway (Because they're, you know, addicted), and they'll end up poor, begging on the streets or something. All the while, those who liked playing the game but weren't addicted to it are suffering due to those same price hikes. Does it seem like such a good idea now? Making the majority pay for the minority's actions.

...:pi:

Encore
22-06-11, 23:35
When there is enough medical evidence to support the claim that WoW is an addiction, then yeah it should be regulated.

But I doubt that evidence will ever come, because there is no "substance" inherent to the game that will ALWAYS cause addiction, nothing comparable to the synthetic substances in drugs. It MAY cause addiction - but lots of things "may" cause addiction if you become obsessed enough with them. Including other games.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents.

anniversarytr11
22-06-11, 23:50
I played WoW twice on the trial, never went back. Don't think I will ever understand the appeal, Elder Scrolls is a million times better imo