PDA

View Full Version : LED TV or LCD TV

Jami393
23-06-11, 21:20
I was thinking on getting a LED TV to replace my LCD TV but which one is better because I want to know before I do anything.

amore-guy
23-06-11, 21:32
LED TV, definitely better than LCD. Thats what Im getting:tmb::D

The Great Chi
23-06-11, 21:33
In the past there was a big problems with the loss of some pixels in both formats, and also burn in problems with TV station logos being on too long, which end up ghosting on the screen.

Most of these problems have been sorted depending on manufacturer, so its worth checking what manufacturer is best.

As for choice, well its down to the individual if they prefer the look of the LCD or LED.

As for me, I do not like either, and I always go for flat screen plasma as it gives a brilliant picture, only downside is that its about twice the power consumption, but I do not care about that ;)

Vinkula
23-06-11, 21:54
I was this same question earlier today.

Can LED-TV work as HD?

Mr.Burns
23-06-11, 22:36
I was this same question earlier today.

Can LED-TV work as HD?

Yup.

LED: thinner than LCD. Generally a higher contrast ratio (brighter), move vivid colors.

So far, I would suggest any of the Samsung line or Sharp. I do tv installations for a living and Samsungs have always managed to produce a very good picture and color.

Jami393
23-06-11, 23:01
Yup.

LED: thinner than LCD. Generally a higher contrast ratio (brighter), move vivid colors.

So far, I would suggest any of the Samsung line or Sharp. I do tv installations for a living and Samsungs have always managed to produce a very good picture and color.

What about a Hitachi or JVC LED TV?

StefanJ94
23-06-11, 23:02
Are really lot of people complaining that Samsung TV have high fail rate or it's just the same person commenting on all videos on youtube? :vlol: xD

Sir Croft
23-06-11, 23:06
LED all the way! :tmb:

Shark_Blade
24-06-11, 00:24
LED for better looking and longevity than LCD, definitely.

cbragg09
24-06-11, 01:03
Ive had my flat screen be burned, leaving a ghostly image of TR 1 laras pixely brown bottom as I died and continued to type away on my laptop while the picture of her corpse etched into my tv screen....

at the time i was so frustrated i would have said get a 1950s black and white tv just cause they dont have that problem

but, with a newer nice tv that is LED i say choose that all the way, i compared them both and in my eye LED was cleaner, more vivid, brighter, and smoother

sephiroth99
24-06-11, 01:46
"LED TV" is a type of LCD TV

It's just the type of the backlight that is different.

We should say:
CCFL-backlit LCD
LED-backlit LCD

/pedant

Mr.Burns
24-06-11, 02:45
What about a Hitachi or JVC LED TV?

tbh I haven't seen many of them. The most common models are Samsung, Sharp, Sony (I have issues with their color reproduction), Panasonic, Vizio and westinghouse. My suggestion is do plenty of research online before buying.

Are really lot of people complaining that Samsung TV have high fail rate or it's just the same person commenting on all videos on youtube? :vlol: xD

Probably the same git complaining. I haven't heard of any major complaints from Samsung tv's.

MiCkiZ88
24-06-11, 06:27
LED has better contrast ratio, more vivid colours, it's full HD and the best: It will make your energy bill look like you don't own any tv at all.

Carbon
24-06-11, 12:00
Plasma Neo PDP... Panasonic.

EscondeR
24-06-11, 12:29
Yup.

I'd sign under each word with my personal experience :tmb:

sandygrimm
24-06-11, 12:46
LED! tho not cheaper, consumes less and better quality :) IMO

MiCkiZ88
24-06-11, 12:53
Or just wait for UHDTV for another 6 to 9 years. I mean who wants 1080p when you can get cinema quality at home? 4320p

Vinkula
24-06-11, 13:59
But I am looking for a LED-TV from CDON.com (Scandinavian internet shop, where I buy games, DVDs etc.) it doesn't mention HD picture in LED-TV's. LCD TV's only says "HD ready" etc.

EDIT/ Oh. Nevermind. Some LED has HD marking and some doesn't o.o

innocentvenus
24-06-11, 18:22
Samsung LED TVs now have yellow pixels to add with the red, green, and blue ones.

LEDs use less power than LCDs and way less power than plasma. They also have nicer pictures and contrast.

Mr.Burns
24-06-11, 19:31
But I am looking for a LED-TV from CDON.com (Scandinavian internet shop, where I buy games, DVDs etc.) it doesn't mention HD picture in LED-TV's. LCD TV's only says "HD ready" etc.

EDIT/ Oh. Nevermind. Some LED has HD marking and some doesn't o.o

Generally any tv 20inches and larger are HD ready, either as 720p or 1080p. What this means is that the TV is capable of seeing that resolution. However, unless your video source is set or is broadcasting at that resolution, it won't be in HD. For example: A PS3. If you have the resolution set to 480p, you're in what's called "enhanced definition" regardless of what your tv is capable of viewing. So you would have to set the PS3 to 720 or 1080p (preferably 1080p) in order to get the full picture quality.

@Innocentvenus: It's funny because Sharp's quattro set up was using a 4 color system long before Samsung. Still, it does help with picture quality.

Killercowz
24-06-11, 19:38
LED all the way.

tampi
24-06-11, 19:46
Chi, plasma tv are obsolete. :p

Assure you that the TV tuner is ready to receive HD. Is essential if you dont want to buy an external tuner in a few years.
LED TV is my choice too.

voltz
24-06-11, 19:57
I heard someone awhile back was talking about the lifespan of LED's and found they don't last as long. Anybody willing to look into this?

EscondeR
24-06-11, 20:00
Don't forget that it may be "HD ready" or "Full HD". The latter requires:

1080p support
MPEG4 format support
HDMI 1.4 support
simultaneously.