PDA

View Full Version : TRF Compared to Other Forums

skylark1121
24-06-11, 16:43
TRF is such a busy thriving forum. Have you ever noticed on some forums how sometimes there will only be like 3 people on at a time, and even general chat threads go days without being replied to. I joined TRF about 7 months ago - when word started getting spread about the TReboot (although I have been an obsessive TR fan forever), and it is always crowded with a lot of people on. Is this just how Lara's fanbase is, or are other TR forums (e.g Eidos Forums) so heavy populated?
What are your thoughts? :)

Tony9595
24-06-11, 16:50
I've seen lots of other forums with much, MUCH more people posting and trolling. It's unbearable to me, so I'd rather stay in the relatively calm TRF :p

And those horrible image signatures! D:
Worst thing ever!!

skylark1121
24-06-11, 16:53
I know! I hate image signatures.. :mad:

lance6439
24-06-11, 16:54
iv'e seen better.

moodydog
24-06-11, 16:55
I know! I hate image signatures.. :mad:

I do too.

EDIT Damn Image did not work :(

Tony9595
24-06-11, 16:56
^ http://www.acheron.com/~centre/images/image.gif

:ton:

xXhayleyroxXx
24-06-11, 16:58
It's much, much, muchhh more strict than other forums. Another forum I go to (for animals) has a general chat with a new thread every minute -- people saying 'I'm leaving!' *opens thread* 'lol no I'm just going to the sealife centre with son today so I'll see you guys later!' -- that's unheard of here xD
And image banners on their signature.
They also have about thirty mods and there's little or no fighting xD

skylark1121
24-06-11, 17:03
^ I like TRF's strictness! It feels organized! I would hate to have threads like that.

Phlip
24-06-11, 17:04
This forum is pretty strict. Sometimes needlessly.

I would love for post counts to be disabled and to allow image signatures. :tmb: (For those who don't like them can easily turn them off.)

xXhayleyroxXx
24-06-11, 17:05
^ I like TRF's strictness! It feels organized! I would hate to have threads like that.

I do, and I don't. I love how organised it is but the mods are hard to approach and arguments break out on a regular basis. xD I do agree about the strict threads -- it's kinda annoying when you have to trawl through looooads of threads to find an interesting topic.
You also get 'rep' there -- people vote for your posts so you get a good reputation, and you can also 'like' posts.

skylark1121
24-06-11, 17:06
The reason I don't like image signatures, is because it feels cluttered and it's hard to tell where the post ends and the next begins. IMO

Phlip
24-06-11, 17:07
^You could disable signatures.I do, and I don't. I love how organised it is but the mods are hard to approach and arguments break out on a regular basis. xD I do agree about the strict threads -- it's kinda annoying when you have to trawl through looooads of threads to find an interesting topic.
You also get 'rep' there -- people vote for your posts so you get a good reputation, and you can also 'like' posts.

A rep system here would turn into a popularity contest. XD

Tony9595
24-06-11, 17:08

I can see Person A liking each of Person B's posts. Just take a look at the congrats subforum. It's pretty much dead, only kept alive by the same people lol

And little or no fighting in that forum? That sounds BORING! D:
Seriously, who doesn't enjoys a good fight on TRF... with popcorns :cln:

skylark1121
24-06-11, 17:09
^ I know right. It's so exciting! :cln:

Super Badnik
24-06-11, 17:12
^You could disable signatures.

A rep system here would turn into a popularity contest. XDYeah, I remember on a SEGA forums they had that for a while and rather than it being used to put down people who "behaved" badly, people just did it to anyone who said something that disagreed with them and often wrote something slightly insulting in the explanation. It didn't last long, people got fed up with it and it really just becomes a way of telling how in line with the rest of the forums your views are.

lara c. fan
24-06-11, 17:13
(For those who don't like them can easily turn them off.)

Mods won't be able to. They'd need to moderate them... :p

Spong
24-06-11, 17:15

Absolutely that. I see the function enabled on another vBulletin forum I go to, but that's not populated by kids so it doesn't get abused. Having the 'like' and 'thanks' function on this forum would be a nightmare.

But yeah, this board's pretty good :tmb:. Not the busiest one I go to though, *checks* that one currently has 3000+ registered members browsing it :eek:

Phlip
^You didn't mention how great the pointless drama is. :DMods won't be able to. They'd need to moderate them... :p

Then that should be added to their job. I'd hate to think what mods can/can't be bothered to do should affect what features we can have.

Dark Lugia 2
I like how the forum is now tbh. Its not that strict? You are allowed to post sensibly (and even the other way around) and make threads. What else is needed, because everything else that people want are either gimmicks or pointless things?

Signatures would be terrible here, too cluttered. I like how we only have Avatars to represent ourselves/what we like through an image, more thought gets put into it.

xXhayleyroxXx
24-06-11, 17:17
^You could disable signatures.

Nah, it works really well there. It tells you who's repped you and for what -- people do it for meaningful posts they agree with or if you do them a favour. You can also write a nice little comment. Sure, it could go the other way but that would be social suicide xD

I can see Person A liking each of Person B's posts. Just take a look at the congrats subforum. It's pretty much dead, only kept alive by the same people lol

And little or no fighting in that forum? That sounds BORING! D:
Seriously, who doesn't enjoys a good fight on TRF... with popcorns :cln:

That's true. I don't see a problem with that though. And I hate arguing here... I'm usually the one being sniped at D:

Autolycus
24-06-11, 17:18
Not the busiest one I go to though, *checks* that one currently has 3000+ registered members browsing it :eek:

Omg that's what I cal busy ;)

Tbh most of the Forums I've seen have been realy quiet, threads going days without any kind of reply. TRF always very active.

Phlip
24-06-11, 17:19
Nah, it works really well there. It tells you who's repped you and for what -- people do it for meaningful posts they agree with or if you do them a favour. You can also write a nice little comment. Sure, it could go the other way but that would be social suicide xD

Yeah but too many people on here are socially inept. XD

xXhayleyroxXx
24-06-11, 17:22
Yeah but too many people on here are socially inept. XD

Thats true, but they're skets. They'd be hated and I'd constantly bitch about them ;) haha xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

lance6439
24-06-11, 17:23
This forum is pretty strict. Sometimes needlessly.

I would love for post counts to be disabled and to allow image signatures. :tmb: (For those who don't like them can easily turn them off.)

THIS! :tmb:

Phlip
24-06-11, 17:27
Thats true, but they're skets. They'd be hated and I'd constantly bitch about them ;) haha xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pshh! :vlol: :vlol: :hug:
THIS! :tmb:

I'm deeply honoured that you agree with me.

Lara Croft!
24-06-11, 17:29
I haven't been registered to more than 5 forum communities and TRF is by far the best. Many members, interesting topics, helping and loving community.
The only thing I'd like is for members to be able to create their own polls without having to annoy a mod.

Gracious Days
24-06-11, 17:29
I'm only a member of one other forum and it's sad that it is pretty dead they're nowadays. I was really excited to join it too, way back when. General Chat there is just endless pages of random news stories that no one replies to, and all of these threads are made by one person.

Carbon
24-06-11, 17:32
This forum is remarkably clean (Colour scheme) and easy to find your way around as well, especially on Safari.

sandygrimm
24-06-11, 17:35
Can you REALLY compare our unique forum to other? :pi:

Dark Lugia 2
24-06-11, 17:35
I haven't been registered to more than 5 forum communities and TRF is by far the best. Many members, interesting topics, helping and loving community.
The only thing I'd like is for members to be able to create their own polls without having to annoy a mod.

I agree, I've been on 2 other forums and this one is the best. :D And I think your suggestion is the only reasonable one in this thread (apart from removing post counts) but people would abuse it and make polls on the most ridiculous things. :o

larafan25
24-06-11, 17:58
TRF is awesome compared to many other forums. There are just times you question the...moderation decisions.

patriots88888
24-06-11, 18:00
^ I'm sure there are times they question the members' decisions as well. xD

CerebralAssassin
24-06-11, 18:01
I've been to 3 other forums besides this one....this one is the strictest by far....:p

larafan25
24-06-11, 18:01
^ I'm sure there are times they question the members' decisions as well. xD

Oh, yes. Definately.:pi:

Mikky
24-06-11, 18:04
Oh, I've seen far busier forums. I once saw this forum where 2000 people were viewing a section. The highest we ever get is about 200 or so. Still, I've also seen really dead forums, so we should consider ourselves lucky. :p

maximum_123
24-06-11, 18:10
It's strict, but that's good. Other forums literally burn my eyes.

xXhayleyroxXx
24-06-11, 18:14
TRF is awesome compared to many other forums. There are just times you question the...moderation decisions.

Mhmm. That's the only obvious flaw here.

jackles
24-06-11, 18:15
^You didn't mention how great the pointless drama is. :D

Then that should be added to their job. I'd hate to think what mods can/can't be bothered to do should affect what features we can have.

Can I point out that anyone who mods here does it out of goodwill and it can involve hours of reading threads etc. It is nothing to do with being 'bothered' but that we have real lives too.

Jfmeplayer
24-06-11, 18:17
I've seen way more strict forums, I've been in a forum where mods would delete anything off-topic, without warning about it or something

xXhayleyroxXx
24-06-11, 18:17
Can I point out that anyone who mods here does it out of goodwill and it can involve hours of reading threads etc. It is nothing to do with being 'bothered' but that we have real lives too.

Why not recruit more moderators? This place badly needs them sometimes.

larafan25
24-06-11, 18:19
Mhmm. That's the only obvious flaw here.

I might not even call it a flaw though. :/

jackles
24-06-11, 18:20
Sometimes people don't want to accept the poisoned chalice...after all how many postive comments do we about moderation? Who on earth would want to join the mod team and get everyone moaning at them re bad decisions Hayley. I have read in this thread how unapproachable we are etc. Most people would run a mile at being asked to join . :(

xXhayleyroxXx
24-06-11, 18:20
I might not even call it a flaw though. :/

Lol, it is. Sometimes its just plain bad manners.

@Jackles ~ Its only certain mods but I didn't want to point the blame finger. A few of you are completely lovely and I respect your decisions and love talking with a few of you. Its not just decisions which are made -- some mods are just plain rude and have terrible manners. I do think we need more mods though :hug:

Carbonek_0051
24-06-11, 18:22
It's a lot more close than other communities, sadly that's both good and bad. Good because we can make a lot of friends, but bad because people like to get in your business and spread nasty little rumors around about you thinking they know you. This probably happens at other places, but I've never experience it on other forums like I have here.

Phlip
24-06-11, 18:22
S signature would show up in every post, so it's not comparable to individual posts.
Sometimes people don't want to accept the poisoned chalice...after all how many postive comments do we about moderation? Who on earth would want to join the mod team and get everyone moaning at them re bad decisions Hayley. I have read in this thread how unapproachable we are etc. Most people would run a mile at being asked to join . :(

Umm why are you a mod then?

maximum_123
24-06-11, 18:23
It's a lot more close than other communities, sadly that's both good and bad. Good because we can make a lot of friends, but bad because people like to get in your business and spread nasty little rumors around about you thinking they know you. This probably happens at other places, but I've never experience it on other forums like I have here.

True dat. We're all vicious.

jackles
24-06-11, 18:24
S signature would show up in every post, so it's not comparable to individual posts.

Umm why are you a mod then?

Because I love this place, it has given me some great friends and some good laughs. :)

....and besides somebody has to do it!!!!

Underworld2008
24-06-11, 18:25
TRF is probs the best forum I use/used tbh...its the only forum where no one has threatened to "chop my head of with a chainsaw" for not liking a certain character etc, surprisingly :vlol: I used a Scream forum, and a Wii one...both were good but I've never had problem with the Mods here, if I message one with a problem it gets dealt with very quickly...where as else where it just gets ignored.

larafan25
I don't spread rumors about people or have them spread about me. Or if they are spread they are very sneaky.:pi:

Ahem crack.

Phlip
Because I love this place, it has given me some great friends and some good laughs. :)

So you wanna give something back? Then that could be the reason others become moderators (if they can't donate).

jackles
24-06-11, 18:29
Yes that is right..I wanted to give something back. :) But as you can imagine if someone who could maybe be a future mod reads the negative take that some people have they might be put off. :(

We have been trying hard to make life easier and fairer and moderation is a fluid process. We are constantly evolving and trying to get it right. Yes we balls up sometimes.....but hopefully that will get less and less. *crosses fingers* :)

jaywalker
24-06-11, 18:34
Its a totally thankless job, we can make 1000 `unseen` decisions and tidy things away hardly anyone sees (except for those who report em etc) but if we miss 1 thing it becomes an instant scandal :) nice exaggeration but u know what i mean..

i get it doubly since i work on the very game you lot are here to debate, discuss, hate, loathe, love :)

lara c. fan
24-06-11, 18:34

Thing is, they do this out of their own goodwill. They don't really get anything out of it, so I think it's incredibly unreasonable to just say that they should just deal with it.

Quasimodo
24-06-11, 18:40
I don't really think of TRF in terms of how "strict" it is compared to other forums anymore. Instead, I just see it as a certain crowd with a certain atmosphere. It's the people more than the policy that shapes your experience on a forum. TRF has a certain mix of personalities that has kept me coming back: there's folks who always have something worthwhile to add to a discussion, others who I don't always agree with but are interesting to read anyway, 'villains' to roll your eyes at, creative folks, and class clowns (sadly, I don't see a lot of those active anymore...).

Back to what I said about people vs. policy - policy is more or less a static thing, but it is implemented differently depending on the mod and the mod team. The attitudes of the crowd and the mod affect each other and thus the way policies are enforced and interpreted. An unruly crowd might convince tptb that a stronger hand is needed, uber strictness might create a resentful crowd, and so on. Eventually even the policy will be morphed in response to these fluctuations.

Is this place a different beast than it was a few years ago? Sure. People come and go, and their influences shape the way you experience the forum in ways both large and small.

Vinkula
24-06-11, 18:40
This is the 2nd forum I visit. Here is more fun and people are bit nicer.

And I love image signatures :(

xXhayleyroxXx
24-06-11, 18:43
I don't really think of TRF in terms of how "strict" it is compared to other forums anymore. Instead, I just see it as a certain crowd with a certain atmosphere. It's the people more than the policy that shapes your experience on a forum. TRF has a certain mix of personalities that has kept me coming back: there's folks who always have something worthwhile to add to a discussion, others who I don't always agree with but are interesting to read anyway, 'villains' to roll your eyes at, creative folks, and class clowns (sadly, I don't see a lot of those active anymore...).

Back to what I said about people vs. policy - policy is more or less a static thing, but it is implemented differently depending on the mod and the mod team. The attitudes of the crowd and the mod affect each other and thus the way policies are enforced and interpreted. An unruly crowd might convince tptb that a stronger hand is needed, uber strictness might create a resentful crowd, and so on. Eventually even the policy will be morphed in response to these fluctuations.

Is this place a different beast than it was a few years ago? Sure. People come and go, and their influences shape the way you experience the forum in ways both large and small.

Thats very true, actually. And TRF is a small crowd so the behaviour of said individuals is more noticeable.

Carbonek_0051
24-06-11, 18:45
Tell me about it.

Rai
24-06-11, 18:51
This is the only forum I go to right now. I've been a member of a couple others. One was Dissendium.com/Riddlediaries, a Harry Potter website and blog. I was a mod there for a short while until the sites closed :(. That site was pretty strict but it was really fun too. People don't realise that moderating takes quite a bit of time - your own voluntary time and stuff goes on behind the scenes as it were. I miss it actually. I'm glad I found this forum. It's interesting and fun. It's fairly strict, but I really don't mind that and to be honest I find some members a bit unforgiving on the mods here.

xXhayleyroxXx
24-06-11, 19:05
This is the only forum I go to right now. I've been a member of a couple others. One was Dissendium.com/Riddlediaries, a Harry Potter website and blog. I was a mod there for a short while until the sites closed :(. That site was pretty strict but it was really fun too. People don't realise that moderating takes quite a bit of time - your own voluntary time and stuff goes on behind the scenes as it were. I miss it actually. I'm glad I found this forum. It's interesting and fun. It's fairly strict, but I really don't mind that and to be honest I find some members a bit unforgiving on the mods here.

I've been a mod on another forum too. It can be quite a tedious job and yes, takes up a lot of time sometimes -- I think the Mods here are great for giving up their time for us. However,the minority of them can have bad attitudes sometimes and because they're such prominent members, its not ideal. Its really not hard to put on a cyber smile and deal with situations as best as possible.

the ancient
24-06-11, 19:09
Well this is the only forum I am member of :p
I like this place b/c there are so much nice people gathered in one place :D

Amiyo
24-06-11, 19:12
Is this just how Lara's fanbase is, or are other TR forums (e.g Eidos Forums) so heavy populated?
What are your thoughts? :) Hmm, I'm active on a couple of other forums too, they're not nearly as active as this one is... Sometimes I feel like this is a bit too active for my taste: between two log-ins there can be dozens of replies to a popular thread and it feels hard to follow. :o

And being heavy populated depends on many things. I'm not so sure about Eidos Forums being as active as this one (I'm not a member there, though...). Lara's fanbase isn't one big, coherent group in my opinion. Some are active on forums, some write blogs or have their own websites etc.

What it comes to strictness, I think it's on a good, reasonable level here. :) Moderators are doing their best to keep things clean, and I appreciate their work.

There's one thing that bugs me though, and that is arguing (this includes trolling in all of its forms and general misbehaviour too, since they're an effective way to start a fight). A fight might pop up over an issue that seems quite small. Unfortunately that fight is seen by loads of people, not just by the people who are arguing, because it happens on a forum...

Rai
24-06-11, 19:12
I've been a mod on another forum too. It can be quite a tedious job and yes, takes up a lot of time sometimes -- I think the Mods here are great for giving up their time for us. However,the minority of them can have bad attitudes sometimes and because they're such prominent members, its not ideal. Its really not hard to put on a cyber smile and deal with situations as best as possible.

I do understand what you're saying and agree, but then you can turn it around and a mod getting stick - just for doing their forum duties.

patriots88888
24-06-11, 19:41
There's one thing that bugs me though, and that is arguing (this includes trolling in all of its forms and general misbehaviour too, since they're an effective way to start a fight). A fight might pop up over an issue that seems quite small. Unfortunately that fight is seen by loads of people, not just by the people who are arguing, because it happens on a forum...

That's one of the drawbacks of forum interaction... not always knowing when peeps are serious or simply just poking fun. Because TRF is such a tight-knit community it's easy to get to know certain personalities (maybe even too easy) and how they'll react to certain things. Most of the time peeps realize when it's just harmless kidding but every once in awhile things get blown out of proportion and then all hell breaks loose. I would say 95% of 'trolling' isn't anything worthy of getting one's feathers ruffled over.

StefanJ94
24-06-11, 19:49
I only visit this forum and a Madonna forum. The other one has image signatures, huge avatars you can also posts 5MB gif in your signature so yeah, it hurts the eyes sometimes. However ignoring all this the members are really nice and quite fun so yeah...TRF wins my neatest forum award most definitely! :tmb: and the Madonna one gets err...party animals comunity :vlol: XD

sandygrimm
24-06-11, 19:52
That's one of the drawbacks of forum interaction... not always knowing when peeps are serious or simply just poking fun. Because TRF is such a tight-knit community it's easy to get to know certain personalities (maybe even too easy) and how they'll react to certain things. Most of the time peeps realize when it's just harmless kidding but every once in awhile things get blown out of proportion and then all hell breaks loose. I would say 95% of 'trolling' isn't anything worthy of getting one's feathers ruffled over.

Guess the restrictions are well reasoned. :p joke or fight, least they keep it civilized, with no cussing or avalanche of GIFs as it used to be.

Your_Envy*
24-06-11, 20:46
I love TRF, of course the forum has some weird moments from time to time but we have bunch of people over here so I simply ignore it. I don't know why some people make it such a big deal. It's a forum. We have some cool people over here, and I like the organisation of it. :cln:

I am also on another big forum which is Slovene, and it allows signatures but it's not messy, and I feel the same about it. I like it, I don't post much there but I love reading about everything, it's fun! :D

EscondeR
24-06-11, 21:07

Be those demented social networks' features added, TRF will turn into complete nightmare.

What about "selfmoderation" being added to members job?

Can you REALLY compare our unique forum to others?Best post award :tmb:

Its a totally thankless job, we can make 1000 `unseen` decisions and tidy things away hardly anyone sees (except for those who report em etc) but if we miss 1 thing it becomes an instant scandal :) nice exaggeration but u know what i mean..
THIS. But this is natural: removed crap is never seen because it's removed, but if you miss one spot... :rolleyes:
Though being natural it doesn't become less sad.

xXhayleyroxXx
24-06-11, 21:21
Be those demented social networks' features added, TRF will turn into complete nightmare.

Maybe, maybe not. I was just stating how TRF is different :p I don't think we need those features, personally.

SLAYER
24-06-11, 22:55
This is the BEST forum I've been to. Rules here means something. no oversized avatars, sigs, badges, awards, points, competing for "rep" and "thanks". and dont get me started on that vBulletin 4 crap, so cluttered.

less is more, maybe thats why I keep lurking here even though my TR obsession has faded out.

marceepaniq
24-06-11, 22:59
I'm only a member of TRF and another forum for teens, which was very active in 2008 and 2009.
I didn't visit that forum for about 1 year, and when I came back, nobody was active that much.
I remember, one thread used to have about 2000 replies, and it was a random thread, about music or some game.
Now, there's barely 30 replies to new threads, and barely 30 active members a day

Geez, I hope this never happens to this forum. :O

Anyways, when was this forum made?

Tony9595
24-06-11, 23:01
2000 I guess. At the bottom it says Copyright ©2000 - 2010, www.tombraiderforums.com :p

ozzman
24-06-11, 23:07
i love TRF, but some rules are bi strict but i can understand why [alot of 13 or younger traffic ext]

NRO.
24-06-11, 23:28
Well, it's deff more "Big Brother"-y than any other forums I've ever visited.

Gladous
24-06-11, 23:28
TRF > FacePunch

Encore
25-06-11, 00:33
I would say 95% of 'trolling' isn't anything worthy of getting one's feathers ruffled over.

I, for one, would say that 95% of what is considered trolling in this forum, consists merely of unpopular personal opinions that lead to a "mob lynch".
Some things are best left unsaid in this place.

Love2Raid
25-06-11, 01:00
This community (well, the ´active posters´) is much smaller than the one on other forums I visit. There are also not that many subforums, so the chance that you completely miss a person is not so big unless you never visit certain sections. It´s also much easier to make yourself known on here if you are new, because it´s so small and there are enough interesting topics to post in. I also like how open this forum is to new members. Most people are quite friendly and helpful.

Capt. Murphy
25-06-11, 01:30
I, for one, would say that 95% of what is considered trolling in this forum, consists merely of unpopular personal opinions that lead to a "mob lynch".
Some things are best left unsaid in this place.

Dancing in the minefield is an art-form. :pi:

...well, and surviving too.

Sir Croft
25-06-11, 01:39
Nicest forum I've stumbled upon, for sure.

cezy rockeru
25-06-11, 17:41
Like,TRF is way better than other forums.

It's fun and friendly and purrrfect. ;D

Ikas90
26-06-11, 07:30
Well, it's definitely better than any other forum I've been on. Still far from perfect though.

At least this place has some level of tolerance with people's opinions. Other places don't, like, at all.

One forum I know of would ban you for being gay.

BlueJ97
26-06-11, 07:32
TRF is a place which has nice people and friendly ones :hug:

Apathetic
26-06-11, 07:34
Dis place be some ghetto ass rachet. Fo chan where it be at.

Admles
26-06-11, 07:49
Well, it's definitely better than any other forum I've been on. Still far from perfect though.

At least this place has some level of tolerance with people's opinions. Other places don't, like, at all.

One forum I know of would ban you for being gay.

*glares at Saki*

Ikas90
26-06-11, 08:00
*glares at Saki*

Besides that forum, of course. :p

EscondeR
26-06-11, 08:08
*glares at Saki*

Besides that forum, of course. :p

O'rly? :mis:

Changeling
26-06-11, 08:30
I'm not an active member of any other community bar one other forum, and compared to here it's dead; so inactive and boring, so I think TRF is pretty wild.

Liara
26-06-11, 10:47
Yes that is right..I wanted to give something back. :)
But moderating isn't the only way to give something back to the forum, right? I always thought that being a nice or helpful member or donating was considered as giving back as well.

I appreciate all the work the mods here are doing here, but I don't get it. Most of you seem unhappy with your "job", saying that it's hard to read a zillion posts a day and that most of us are ungrateful. So why not just step down? I'm sure there are plenty nice people here who would be willing to fill the spot. No offense intended, just wondering.

Your_Envy*
26-06-11, 10:49
O'rly? :mis:

I can assure you it's NOT what you think it is. It's faaaaaaaaaaaar from that. Far far.

Ikas90
26-06-11, 10:53
I can assure you it's NOT what you think it is. It's faaaaaaaaaaaar from that. Far far.

omg lol u called their forum bad, derr gonna thnk u an OUTCAST LOLOL http://209.85.48.20/8163/42/0/e5016372/e5016372.gif

Your_Envy*
26-06-11, 11:18
For banana's sake Sakoh. :pi: I didn't call "their forum" bad, but I only wanted to let mister mod know errr "the other forum" has a totally different direction, threads and themes. Whatever. He can come and make sure anytime anyway. Now go back to the kitchen! :cool:

Apathetic
26-06-11, 11:21
Oh you guys are talking about that "secret" forum that's biased as to who could join? Yeah. :D

Ikas90
26-06-11, 11:28
For banana's sake Sakoh. :pi: I didn't call "their forum" bad, but I only wanted to let mister mod know errr "the other forum" has a totally different direction, threads and themes. Whatever. He can come and make sure anytime anyway. Now go back to the kitchen! :cool:

i wur kiddin lolotrol http://209.85.48.20/8163/42/0/e5016372/e5016372.gif

but srsly can u maek me sammich plz?

Your_Envy*
26-06-11, 11:32
I know, I just wanted to make sure. :p And no, you're the slave bye.

larson n natla
26-06-11, 11:36
I'm a member of Project Ego forums (Fable game series) and Bethesda Forums although I visit them very rarely. The have a rep system which I think is very good as it rewards those who post interesting information and leaves the troll ignored. It isn't strict, in fact it is pretty laid back in terms of what it will allow.

Bethesda forums have a dark dank design that I dislike and is practically barren at times.

With Project Ego I disliked the image signatures there so I just had my gamertag image up until the website which provided the gamertag website stopped. Now I barely visit the forum, it had a very nice community though and those who were there tended to be helpful and polite. :tmb:

These forums are still number one though... :pi:

Paddy
26-06-11, 11:39
I still hang here because I have friends here who I dont talk to elsewhere, otherwise I would say I don't consider this forum anywhere near my favourites anymore.

jackles
26-06-11, 16:20
But moderating isn't the only way to give something back to the forum, right? I always thought that being a nice or helpful member or donating was considered as giving back as well.

I appreciate all the work the mods here are doing here, but I don't get it. Most of you seem unhappy with your "job", saying that it's hard to read a zillion posts a day and that most of us are ungrateful. So why not just step down? I'm sure there are plenty nice people here who would be willing to fill the spot. No offense intended, just wondering.

Where have I said most people are ungrateful? :confused: I stated that people might not want to become mods due to the often negative attitude we get. Does that mean I am unhappy? let me explain something...as some people on here know my daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer last year. I could have stepped down at anytime but for me it is release from that stress and of course some days I kept a low profile. But hey we take the rough with the smooth. :)

And just because someone is nice or a great forum member doesnt mean they would want to give up their posting freedom to join our merry band. ;)

EmeraldFields
26-06-11, 18:31
The only other forum I visit on a daily basis is BadMediaKarma which is a Britney Spears forum. :p

You can only see it if you're invited or your application (which I hear is quite lengthy to fill out) is accepted by an admin. It's a lot smaller than TRF. It has only about 800 members and 100 which are fairly active. It's also really laid back and as long as you don't bash Britney and aren't annoying or creepy, then you can pretty much post whatever you want. But, out of all the Britney forums on the web it's probably the best designed and the most organized.

Simochka
26-06-11, 19:25
I'm a member in many forums. Mostly zelda forums xD

This forum is kinda strict but as long as you follow the rules you can pretty much argue about anything.

And most forums I've been to have image signatures. So damn annoying when the signatures are like 3 times bigger then the posts they do. Like loads of texts, a quote, some forum friends usernames, an image banner and some text under it in EVERY signature. <.<

So I'm happy with this forum compared to others I've been to :p

tlr online
26-06-11, 19:33
2000 I guess. At the bottom it says Copyright ©2000 - 2010, www.tombraiderforums.com :p

Fixed. Thanks.

Also thanks for your comments. They are always read.

lance6439
26-06-11, 19:37
TRF is not fast as well. i can post in the OC thread. wait 24 hours. and be less than a page late :vlol:

AmericanAssassin
26-06-11, 19:51
My thoughts on the TRFs? Well, that's constantly changing. Overall, I'm positive. However, I do think it could do without a few rules. For one, the GIF files rule. It's almost impossible to find any good GIFs under the size limit. Meh. :/

EscondeR
26-06-11, 20:18
Practice your eloquence instead :mis:

Mad Tony
26-06-11, 20:23
My thoughts on the TRFs? Well, that's constantly changing. Overall, I'm positive. However, I do think it could do without a few rules. For one, the GIF files rule. It's almost impossible to find any good GIFs under the size limit. Meh. :/Actually, that is one rule that I think is absolutely essential. Gone are the days where most threads were just walls of gifs instead of actual responses. I know a lot of threads (I'm thinking mainly news here) produce similar responses but I'd rather a page of similar responses as opposed to huge gifs of Tyra Banks making stupid faces.

StefanJ94
26-06-11, 20:36
My thoughts on the TRFs? Well, that's constantly changing. Overall, I'm positive. However, I do think it could do without a few rules. For one, the GIF files rule. It's almost impossible to find any good GIFs under the size limit. Meh. :/

If you can't find them...make em, or edit them in a program! :D Seriously, it's a 2 minutes job. ^^

Admles
26-06-11, 20:39
Actually, that is one rule that I think is absolutely essential. Gone are the days where most threads were just walls of gifs instead of actual responses. I know a lot of threads (I'm thinking mainly news here) produce similar responses but I'd rather a page of similar responses as opposed to huge gifs of Tyra Banks making stupid faces.
I agree, we need this rule, even though a lot of people just ignore the size limits. If anything I'd like to see it dropped to 350kb max.

Spong
26-06-11, 20:41

Actually, that is one rule that I think is absolutely essential. Gone are the days where most threads were just walls of gifs instead of actual responses. I know a lot of threads (I'm thinking mainly news here) produce similar responses but I'd rather a page of similar responses as opposed to huge gifs of Tyra Banks making stupid faces.

^Those :tmb:

larafan25
26-06-11, 20:43

Gifs are funnier than snarly one-liners that you get half the time.

I'll take them any day.

Catapharact
26-06-11, 20:44

Oh but Esc... That would make you an elitest wouldn't it ;)? [/SARCASAM]

Lol! But on the topic at hand:

I wouldn't be here if I didn't think this place was worth checking out :). Don't get me wrong, I still believe we can make this place way better but as far as balance goes between individual member rights and the mandatory T&C of the forum, there are only a hand full of forums which have hit the sweet spot and this is one of those places.

AmericanAssassin
26-06-11, 20:46
You people..........

http://i53.************/m76zjs.gif

:p

Mad Tony
26-06-11, 20:46
Gifs are funnier than snarly one-liners that you get half the time.

I'll take them any day.The gifs aren't even funny. They're literally all the same. They're almost always of some girl in her late teens/early 20s from a teen drama/reality tv making a stupid face.

Anyway, since when are thread replies mostly snarly?

Spong
26-06-11, 20:48
Gifs are funnier than snarly one-liners that you get half the time...

Rather like the way a comic attracts the attention of a child while a good novel is usually enjoyed by a literate adult.

Mad Tony
26-06-11, 20:49
Rather like the way a comic attracts the attention of a child while a good novel is usually enjoyed by a literate adult.Zing!

AmericanAssassin
Rather like the way a comic attracts the attention of a child while a good novel is usually enjoyed by a literate adult.
Well, I'm a literate adult who enjoys comics. :ohn:

larafan25
The gifs aren't even funny. They're literally all the same. They're almost always of some girl in her late teens/early 20s from a teen drama/reality tv making a stupid face.

Anyway, since when are thread replies mostly snarly?

I'm not sure when it started.

lara c. fan

:vlol:

Spong, you are fantastic. :tmb:

EscondeR
26-06-11, 20:50

:tmb:

But, c'mon, you can see it everywhere... just compare the Classics and New-t e.g. ;)

Well, I'm a literate adult who enjoys comics. :ohn:
General failure. Division by zero...
System variable %Sense% = 0. Please update Brains.vxd.

:p

Mad Tony
26-06-11, 20:50
I'm not sure when it started.I am. It was around 2008 I think. It was Angelus who started it I think. He's permanently banned now I think. No idea why.

Catapharact
26-06-11, 20:51

Quote of the day right here ladies and gents.

larafan25
26-06-11, 20:51
Oh God, somebody make a gif out of my face right now. :/

I am. It was around 2008 I think. It was Angelus who started it I think. He's permanently banned now I think. No idea why.

Angelus is back and I don't really remember any of his posts. I think we all just have to at least pretend everything is a joke. That way the forum...just gets on with itself.

That made no sense.

Spong
26-06-11, 20:52
I am. It was around 2008 I think. It was Angelus who started it I think. He's permanently banned now I think. No idea why.

His two-year ban finished last week. He's back. Unless he's been banned again.

Mad Tony
26-06-11, 20:53
I think we all just have to at least pretend everything is a joke. That way the forum...just gets on with itself.

That made no sense.I don't follow. :confused:

His two-year ban finished last week. He's back. Unless he's been banned again.Didn't even know they had two years bans on here.

AmericanAssassin
26-06-11, 20:54
GIFs are literally a part of every other entertainment forum I've ever seen. They're for fun. Some of you seriously take life too seriously. It's a ****ing Tomb Raider forum. Jeez...

EscondeR
26-06-11, 20:54
Cough... Well, you know what I'm going to say (bans related) :mis: I hope...

larafan25
26-06-11, 20:57
GIFs are literally a part of every other entertainment forum I've ever seen. They're for fun. Some of you seriously take life too seriously. It's a ****ing Tomb Raider forum. Jeez...

This forum takes things way way way too seriously sometimes. I take things to seriously sometimes. However I'm not as much as try-to-be-know-it-all-in-your-face-goody-good-yell-at-people-who-got-it-all-wrong kind of guy like I used to be.

I don't follow. :confused:

Didn't even know they had two years bans on here.

I just meant that I can't pin point any specific person responsible for snarly comments. It just happens in a very fluky way depending on the subject and the people responding.

For example a Lady Gaga thread will generate different short and snarly responses when compared to a cry for Core Design thread in the future Tomb Raider section.

Catapharact
26-06-11, 20:58

Entertainment qualifies as one of those things which full under personal preferences.

For instance, you obviously like Christina A when I think that an emergency siren of a fire truck can bellow out a more melodic tune then her.

When a forum becomes a hovel of irritating gifs and memes, it loses its street credit and becomes another cesspool of underaged kids giggling away at lolcat images. Not all of us want this forum to end up becoming the next "entertainment" chat group.

lara c. fan
26-06-11, 21:00

Maybe we just prefer words over things that'll probably take too long to load anyway. :D

Reggie
26-06-11, 21:01
Entertainment qualifies as one of those things which full under personal preferences.

For instance, you obviously like Christina A when I think that an emergency siren of a fire truck can bellow out a more melodic tune then her.

When a forum becomes a hovel of irritating gifs and memes, it loses its street credit and becomes another cesspool of underaged kids giggling away at lolcat images. Not all of us want this forum to end up becoming the next "entertainment" chat group.

I don't actually mind Christina but that that just made me almost spit out my mouth full of tea right there. :vlol:

I think there needs to be a balance. TRF has it more or less.

Sir Croft
26-06-11, 21:03
I don't mind the gifs rule. I don't mind their presence either! :p

larafan25
26-06-11, 21:05

I'm, not sure what you mean...or maybe I am.

However it seems to me that if that's what this place becomes then that is what is is. If that makes any sense. The forum should cater to one group of people and try to attract them by loosing the other members. I'm not in the entertainment section much however I can say that in the Tomb Raider (new TR) section there are not as many discussions about actual gameplay or anything that I find interesting. It all seems slightly shallow discussions about hair, aesthetics, and other things I don't find to be super important.

However I still engage in discussions about crabs named Feefee.

lord gaga
26-06-11, 21:06
Well compared to 2 other forums i look at TRF is extreamly active (the other 2 are the edios tomb raider forums and the stephen king forums). Also i HATE the gif signatures :hea: They are out of place and anoying and some have 3 pictures in their sig!

Mad Tony
26-06-11, 21:07

When a forum becomes a hovel of irritating gifs and memes, it loses its street credit and becomes another cesspool of underaged kids giggling away at lolcat images. Not all of us want this forum to end up becoming the next "entertainment" chat group.Agree entirely.

GIFs play absolutely no part in the only other forum I frequent. That said, this is a football forum with an older and less flamboyant/camp audience than the one on here.

Catapharact
26-06-11, 21:14
I'm, not sure what you mean...or maybe I am.

However it seems to me that if that's what this place becomes then that is what is is. If that makes any sense. The forum should cater to one group of people and try to attract them by loosing the other members. I'm not in the entertainment section much however I can say that in the Tomb Raider (new TR) section there are not as many discussions about actual gameplay or anything that I find interesting. It all seems slightly shallow discussions about hair, aesthetics, and other things I don't find to be super important.

However I still engage in discussions about crabs named Feefee.

Exactly, and that might be one of the reasons why I avoid that place entirely. Its bad enough that a perfectly good section of the forum that is dedicated to technical and artful discussions on the new TR game has been overflooded with such idiocy. I certainly don't want it creeping its way into here as well.

I really don't want to narrow my choices of "forum section to visit" down to just GC and MGC.

Agree entirely.

GIFs play absolutely no part in the only other forum I frequent. That said, this is a football forum with an older and less flamboyant/camp audience than the one on here.

Hate to stereotype but older forum members USUALLY (with emphasis on "usually") means more worthwhile discussions.

patriots88888
26-06-11, 21:15
However it seems to me that if that's what this place becomes then that is what is is. If that makes any sense. The forum should cater to one group of people and try to attract them by loosing the other members.

And what group of people would that be? :pi:

larafan25
26-06-11, 21:15
^Me.

LOL I actually meant shouldn't. :pi:

Exactly, and that might be one of the reasons why I avoid that place entirely. Its bad enough that a perfectly good section of the forum that is dedicated to technical and artful discussions on the new TR game has been overflooded with such idiocy. I certainly don't want it creeping its way into here as well.

I really don't want to narrow my choices of "forum section to visit" down to just GC and MGC.

The only way these things can be changed (I don't even mind the light hearted discussions and joke threads that get locked down) is by participating in more technical and deep discussions and creating your own. For anyone who's interested.

Catapharact
26-06-11, 21:16

Parent mooching kids who think they have the right to be treated like adults :p?

EscondeR
26-06-11, 21:18

^Me.

LF25, list please all profiles here :mis:

Mad Tony
26-06-11, 21:19
Hate to stereotype but older forum members USUALLY (with emphasis on "usually") means more worthwhile discussions.Unfortunately you're mostly right there.

Linoshi Croft
26-06-11, 23:53
Hate to stereotype but older forum members USUALLY (with emphasis on "usually") means more worthwhile discussions.

I do agree with that but in some of my experiences they seem to be the most stubborn and close minded to. I tend to be in a lesson how everything must be rather than discussing how we think it should be.

EmeraldFields
27-06-11, 01:18
You all are right! Only mature, worthwhile discussion should be taking place on this forum. Any posts dealing with games, fun, or pictures should be removed. The entertainment section should be closed. We might as well get rid of smilies while we're at it. Only political and philosophical debates should be taking place in GC and the TR sections should only deal with the technical side of the game. Any other types of thread should be treated as spam.

The age limit should be raised too. Since older members are usually the only "mature" ones. I say 30 should be a good cut off number. We absolutely must get rid of all the gay members as well, all that campiness and flamboyance is causing any meaningful discussion to be turned into useless drivel.

Ah! Paradise!

Encore
27-06-11, 01:40
Off topic chatter and ridiculously pointless threads (like "funny cat video, lol") are REALLY annoying, but that's (supposedly) against the rules too, and if the mods always used the same criteria on what constitutes spam, it wouldn't even be a problem anymore.

However, you can't do anything about the content of the forum if it's within the rules. There's no point in whining about how dumb the forum is, you just have to learn to ignore it (this is why I avoid the new TR section as if it were the plague).

Ultimately, the only solution to the lack of "intelligent" threads is to create some yourself. Just because they might not get a lot of responses doesn't mean that they're not worth making. Sometimes, a few GOOD replies are enough.

Quasimodo
27-06-11, 01:57
I'm feeling split over the issue. If I'm reading a thread on another forum about one of my favorite shows, relevant gifs can be quite entertaining. Seeing the same handful of gifs used over and over in lieu of even a few typed words of actual conversation is annoying. The same thing is done with still images, too. It's just people trying to get a 'snap' in in some heated discussion or doomed thread (such as "in before the lock!" and "face palm" lol. :rolleyes:).
You all are right! Only mature, worthwhile discussion should be taking place on this forum. Any posts dealing with games, fun, or pictures should be removed. The entertainment section should be closed. We might as well get rid of smilies while we're at it. Only political and philosophical debates should be taking place in GC and the TR sections should only deal with the technical side of the game. Any other types of thread should be treated as spam.

The age limit should be raised too. Since older members are usually the only "mature" ones. I say 30 should be a good cut off number. We absolutely must get rid of all the gay members as well, all that campiness and flamboyance is causing any meaningful discussion to be turned into useless drivel.

Ah! Paradise!
I'm a part of a forum that doesn't use smilies (though you can do things there that aren't allowed here). Totally different crowd, but it works for them. Every forum has its own set of ropes as dictated by tptb. There may be some grumbles over certain policies/personalities, but we're still here, right?

I agree with you that it's pretty laughable that some folks think TRF should be transformed into a 100% high-brow place. Dude, the banner has double D's and twin pistols on it. We're not gonna be discussing Tchaikovsky and string theory every day. I like that we've got a mix of fun and seriousness.

Off topic chatter and ridiculously pointless threads (like "funny cat video, lol") are REALLY annoying, but that's (supposedly) against the rules too, and if the mods always used the same criteria on what constitutes spam, it wouldn't even be a problem anymore.

However, you can't do anything about the content of the forum if it's within the rules. There's no point in whining about how dumb the forum is, you just have to learn to ignore it (this is why I avoid the new TR section as if it were the plague).

Ultimately, the only solution to the lack of "intelligent" threads is to create some yourself. Just because they might not get a lot of responses doesn't mean that they're not worth making. Sometimes, a few GOOD replies are enough.
Agreed!
*edit* Oh crap, I'm one of those people :vlol: I figured if Justin starts the odd lol-video thread now and then, why not me just once?

larafan25
27-06-11, 01:58

What is so bad about the new TR section? :confused:

EmeraldFields
27-06-11, 02:05
I'm a part of a forum that doesn't use smilies (though you can do things there that aren't allowed here). Totally different crowd, but it works for them. Every forum has its own set of ropes as dictated by tptb. There may be some grumbles over certain policies/personalities, but we're still here, right?

I agree with you that it's pretty laughable that some folks think TRF should be transformed into a 100% high-brow place. Dude, the banner has double D's and twin pistols on it. We're not gonna be discussing Tchaikovsky and string theory every day. I like that we've got a mix of fun and seriousness.

Exactly. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a serious thread every once in a while and enjoy seeing people's different viewpoints, but if that's all we had on here, there would be very few people left.

I think there are a few people on here who forget that the reason why we joined was because we like playing a certain video game. Some "silliness" and "fun" is to be expected. And if you want more serious discussion threads, then follow Encore's advice and start making them.

patriots88888
27-06-11, 03:33

This! :tmb: It's nice to have that variety. :)

TRF is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
Or who you're gonna get. :pi:

sandygrimm
27-06-11, 06:55
This! :tmb: It's nice to have that variety. :)

TRF is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
Or who you're gonna get. :pi:
I think you do! it's predictable once you've been here long enough :p

Apathetic
27-06-11, 06:57
Ew somebody did not just compare this forum to a box of chocolates.. :p

EscondeR
27-06-11, 07:02
Better that than a can of spiders ;)

Spong
27-06-11, 07:09
better that than a can of spiders ;)

*SHUDDERS* :yik:

Apathetic
27-06-11, 07:10
*SHUDDERS* :yik:

You're scared of spiders? Interesting..

sandygrimm
27-06-11, 07:11
^ yum chocolate covered spiders! LOL

EscondeR
27-06-11, 07:12
^ Be glad I haven't posted an example...

Or should I... :whi:

sandygrimm
27-06-11, 07:13
^ I dare ya :pi:

EscondeR
27-06-11, 07:17
Damn, google images is arachnophobic :p And I feel too lazy to photoshop...

Spong
27-06-11, 07:18

Good, on both counts :ton:
Spiders should be illegal.

sandygrimm
27-06-11, 07:19

Sure! :whi:

Nway, I say TRF can be compare to a barrel of monkeys :D

EscondeR
27-06-11, 07:21
Or nyan-cats sometimes... *giggity-giggity*

WillG
27-06-11, 19:19
One time I went on American McGee's Forum. It was...a person had posted pictures of something...*shudders*

Legend of Lara
27-06-11, 19:23
You're scared of spiders? Interesting..

Spiders are evil and evil and evil. They are terrifying and evil creatures.

BrandonFlowers
27-06-11, 19:32
I only use this forum, I have never joined any other one, I feel like any other forum would be an aticlimax. This site is lovely and I really enjoy posting here.

Mad Tony
27-06-11, 19:33
We absolutely must get rid of all the gay members as well, all that campiness and flamboyance is causing any meaningful discussion to be turned into useless drivel. I know that's in reference to what I said but I'd just like to point out that those on here who are gay aren't all flamboyant/camp/annoying and vice versa. Just get rid of all the camp people regardless of their sexuality and I'm happy. :D

Linoshi Croft
27-06-11, 19:34
I know that's in reference to what I said but I'd just like to point out that those on here who are gay aren't all flamboyant/camp/annoying and vice versa. Just get rid of all the camp people regardless of their sexuality and I'm happy. :D

That's not very fair . . :pi: You have to be joking? You can't get rid of people just because the way they are.

Phlip
27-06-11, 19:36
Basically, anyone who likes Lady Gaga should be banned. :)

Kelly Craftman
27-06-11, 19:37

:vlol: :tmb:

BrandonFlowers
27-06-11, 19:41

I like her, :( but not as much as Kylie Minogue. So I should stay. :)

Mad Tony
27-06-11, 19:44
That's not very fair . . :pi: You have to be joking? You can't get rid of people just because the way they are.I was joking...

Although, that doesn't mean the general campiness of this place doesn't annoy me.

Basically, anyone who likes Lady Gaga should be banned. :)That's a bit harsh. Just ban anyone who mentions Lady Gaga outside the designated thread. ;)

In all seriousness, I think Lady Gaga, or rather, her popularity, has ruined the forum somewhat. If a cure for cancer surfaced and there was a thread about it on here I honestly believe a couple of her disciples would try and claim she had something to do with it.

Linoshi Croft
27-06-11, 19:45
I was joking...

Although, that doesn't mean the general campiness of this place doesn't annoy me

I try not to let anything bug me as I just accept people are who they are :p

SoupCard
27-06-11, 20:02
I go on the Mega64 forum sometimes, and boy is there a huge difference. It's a much smaller community, not nearly as active as this forum. But there's little to no rules there, which I like. While that community is full of A holes with my kind of humor, this site is much more tame, and friendly. A good balance I'd say.

Legend of Lara
27-06-11, 20:42
No, he can't read my poker face.

FloTheMachine
27-06-11, 22:21
It's much, much, muchhh more strict than other forums. Another forum I go to (for animals) has a general chat with a new thread every minute -- people saying 'I'm leaving!' *opens thread* 'lol no I'm just going to the sealife centre with son today so I'll see you guys later!' -- that's unheard of here xD
And image banners on their signature.
They also have about thirty mods and there's little or no fighting xD

What is this forum! I must join it! O.O

But no I love this forum to bits, I'd love image siggies though. :(

BrandonFlowers
27-06-11, 22:24
Image siggies would rock :( but I think only if they had strict rule attached
such as only one picture (with a limit to its size and stuff) and only one line of text.

Mods are very good here at making us stick to the rules so it could work :p

Encore
27-06-11, 23:02

Just...... don't ask. I don't wanna get banned for insulting forum members. :pi:

Love2Raid
28-06-11, 00:45
It's a very scary and dangerous place. http://e.deviantart.net/emoticons/f/fear.gif

Admles
28-06-11, 11:44
People think this place is strict?

:vlol: