PDA

View Full Version : Black Isle - Old Mill

SoulReaver74
08-07-11, 09:41
I've just finished playing through the 'Old Mill' level from Chronicles and i have to say that there where quiet a few times i got completely stuck :o, the first problem was trying to find a way of stopping the changelings from attacking, no easy task since your a sitting duck, but during the cinematic sequence which pans around the area, i seem to have completely disregarded the Torch so obviously pointed out on the ledge above and went straight for the 'Crowbar', still under attack from the changelings, i thought no!, 'your doing this wrong', so to cut a long story short, severall minutes later i found my way. :D

Then the real dilema begins, how do i stop the water flowing round Verdilets shead. Well.. i was wondering around making impossible jumps getting caught up in the strong flow of water, trying to reach awkward ledges, the list goes on. I was going spare, so i thought the only way forward is near the Mill itself, but i can't grab the dam coin because of the 'sea hag', and then what do i do with it, but patience and perserverance won in the end and i saw the level through to it's conclusion. :jmp:

So what i want to ask everyone is... have they encountered similar problems, i've done the level several times but the time between each completion has been long and i hate using a walkthrough to help me.

lord gaga
08-07-11, 09:50
For me this is the second best area in the entire series...So far!

Charlie91
08-07-11, 10:04
Well, I remember when I played this level first time, I had several problems, too, because it's hard - but perserverance and patience are always winning over all problems:) And time sometimes. When I played this firstly, I was... I think ten years old and my biggest problem was I was too scared of changelings, Verdilet, sounds of this part and many other things. And now I feel it's still as atmospheric and wonderful as in those days, although I'm not scared now... I think this is one of the best areas in TRs:)

SoulReaver74
08-07-11, 10:39
For me this is the second best area in the entire series...So far!

The atmosphere and general feel of the area is first class, defianately one of the best. Gallows Tree is probably my favourite of the Black Isle levels, which also caused me a couple of problems, but nothing major. :D

Well, I remember when I played this level first time, I had several problems, too, because it's hard - but perserverance and patience are always winning over all problems:) And time sometimes. When I played this firstly, I was... I think ten years old and my biggest problem was I was too scared of changelings, Verdilet, sounds of this part and many other things. And now I feel it's still as atmospheric and wonderful as in those days, although I'm not scared now... I think this is one of the best areas in TRs:)

Your right about 'perserverance and patience', are definately key to getting through this very well designed level, which still has an amazing feel about it.

sheepman23
08-07-11, 11:56
On my most recent playthrough of this game, I completely forgot how to trap the pond hag. It was awful... :whi:

Pretty awesome level though! :tmb:

peeves
08-07-11, 12:20
I liked Ireland because it's so gothic and spooky it suits halloween really well. It's my 2nd favorite section of TR5.

Caesum
08-07-11, 13:04
Yeah, it's one of my most favourite four sections in TRC.

SoulReaver74
08-07-11, 14:07
On my most recent playthrough of this game, I completely forgot how to trap the pond hag. It was awful... :whi:

Pretty awesome level though! :tmb:

I know what you mean sheepman, i remember after getting the coin i tried to swim into the tunnel where the 'sea hag' was and i kept getting this scene playing out where she grabbed me like before when you was spotted trying to take the coin, i thought there was a glitch or something, so reloaded a previous save and moved around the level for another half an hour before i thought 'there has to be a way into the Mill', and i think i got lucky as i was checking the cage after i grabbed the coin and well...you know the rest. :rolleyes:

Delamo1999
08-07-11, 17:39
I liked Ireland because it's so gothic and spooky it suits halloween really well. It's my 2nd favorite section of TR5.

What's your first favorite section of TR5?:)

peeves
08-07-11, 19:03
What's your first favorite section of TR5?:)

VCI Tech is my all time favorite section of TR5.

Delamo1999
09-07-11, 00:34
VCI Tech is my all time favorite section of TR5.

I knew it. :D. Let's see I'll bet one of your fave parts is the timed run in the 13th floor. After many many tries I finally got thea artifact in just the nick of time. ;)

As frustrating as the 2nd cyborg has been I've enjoyed this level too. :)

peeves
09-07-11, 15:26
I knew it. :D. Let's see I'll bet one of your fave parts is the timed run in the 13th floor. After many many tries I finally got thea artifact in just the nick of time. ;)

As frustrating as the 2nd cyborg has been I've enjoyed this level too. :)

Well my favorite level is Red Alert because it's so cool and high tech my 2nd favorite VCI level is 13th floor and my least favorite is escape with the iris because it's challenging with no medi packs and all secrets.

Delamo1999
09-07-11, 15:54
I liked finishing off the first cyborg. I also liked that one part where Lara has to somersault onto a stack of boxes so that she can shoot the guard without getting noticed. I got caught a few times and had the guns turned on me before I figured out what to do. But it was fun.

In Iris I thought it was funny when she busted into the restrooms.

:)

moodydog
09-07-11, 16:01
where is the black Isle actually meant to be? I always thought it was Ireland, but not quite sure why?

peeves
09-07-11, 16:12
I liked finishing off the first cyborg. I also liked that one part where Lara has to somersault onto a stack of boxes so that she can shoot the guard without getting noticed. I got caught a few times and had the guns turned on me before I figured out what to do. But it was fun.

In Iris I thought it was funny when she busted into the restrooms.

I also had to somersault on the crates to beat that level without using medi packs. When i was 10 i didn't know how to somersault outta crawlspaces but then i figured it out much later when i was a teenager.

FloTheMachine
09-07-11, 19:42
where is the black Isle actually meant to be? I always thought it was Ireland, but not quite sure why?

Well... the father is Irish, and he sails off from a port in his villiage.
Its not going to be in midway through the Atlantic Ocean now. :p

peeves
10-07-11, 14:34
Well... the father is Irish, and he sails off from a port in his villiage.
Its not going to be in midway through the Atlantic Ocean now. :p

Does the game imply that the priest is Irish?

rr_carroll
11-07-11, 02:55
His Irish accent is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

SoulReaver74
11-07-11, 07:22
His Irish accent is so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Would definately have to agree with you here, and i just love how sarcastic he is towards Verdilet and not to mention how his white hair suddenly returns to black in the closing FMV. I can understand it being this colour whilst there at the manor talking about Lara's previous adventures, as he probably use 'Just For Men'. :vlol:

peeves
11-07-11, 16:11
Would definately have to agree with you here, and i just love how sarcastic he is towards Verdilet and not to mention how his white hair suddenly returns to black in the closing FMV. I can understand it being this colour whilst there at the manor talking about Lara's previous adventures, as he probably use 'Just For Men'. :vlol:

Funny thing though i thought he was british because of his thick accent. And his hair turned white after the labyrinth level because of something he ran into. What was that something he ran into that made his hair turn white? :confused:

Fiamma Nera
11-07-11, 17:49
Funny thing though i thought he was british because of his thick accent. And his hair turned white after the labyrinth level because of something he ran into. What was that something he ran into that made his hair turn white? :confused:

He said he ran into some "unpleasant fellas" so that means there was more than one thing he ran into. Maybe he encountered those little white demons. Lara's hair didn't turn white though.

FloTheMachine
11-07-11, 21:45
Well that indicates it wasn't them then. :p

Funny I've never noticed haunted islands off the coast of Ireland. :vlol: I'd love it if there was one though. xD

peeves
11-07-11, 22:35
He said he ran into some "unpleasant fellas" so that means there was more than one thing he ran into. Maybe he encountered those little white demons. Lara's hair didn't turn white though.

Well it wasn't Verdilet Vladimir Khaled but it could've been a demon he ran into. We don't know what type it was though.

Fiamma Nera
11-07-11, 22:58
Well it wasn't Verdilet Vladimir Khaled but it could've been a demon he ran into. We don't know what type it was though.

Lara mentions some demon names from the Bestiary including: Askeroth, Aqueil, Arrancula, Belial, Bucom, Boliath, Camos, Masteflou and of course Verdilet. Maybe Father Patrick encountered one of those. Maybe it was none of them, there's probably hundreds more of demon names in the Bestiary.

peeves
11-07-11, 23:11
Lara mentions some demon names from the Bestiary including: Askeroth, Aqueil, Arrancula, Belial, Bucom, Boliath, Camos, Masteflou and of course Verdilet. Maybe Father Patrick encountered one of those. Maybe it was none of them, there's probably hundreds more of demon names in the Bestiary.

So the demon name that patrick encountered was Verdilet?

Fiamma Nera
11-07-11, 23:17
So the demon name that patrick encountered was Verdilet?

The demon that turned his hair white? It's possible but I was just giving examples of the demons' names including Verdilet's to whom Father Patrick might have encountered. It might have been Verdilet or it might have been someone else.

peeves
11-07-11, 23:26
The demon that turned his hair white? It's possible but I was just giving examples of the demons' names including Verdilet's to whom Father Patrick might have encountered. It might have been Verdilet or it might have been someone else.

Verdilet didn't make father patrick's hair turn white. I'm referring about how was Vladimir Khaled named Verdilet? :confused:

Fiamma Nera
12-07-11, 09:01
Verdilet didn't make father patrick's hair turn white. I'm referring about how was Vladimir Khaled named Verdilet? :confused:

Oh, I see. Vladimir was probably named Verdilet when he became a demon. His demon name, Verdilet, is then written into the Bestiary.

Delamo1999
17-07-11, 16:14
I thought it was cool how the changlings attacked the sea hag. I wonder what use she had with that coin.

SoulReaver74
19-07-11, 15:48
I thought it was cool how the changlings attacked the sea hag. I wonder what use she had with that coin.

Strange diet those changelings, but you've made a good point regarding the hag's fascination with the coin. Someone here will most likely have a good explanation for it.

Fiamma Nera
19-07-11, 16:12
Strange diet those changelings, but you've made a good point regarding the hag's fascination with the coin. Someone here will most likely have a good explanation for it.

Now that you mention it, I think I have an idea. Think of the Guardian in TR2. The Guardian obviously for some reason wants to protect the Talion. The Hag in TRC may have similar desires with the Coin wanting to protect it for some reason. Maybe they both became attached to their objects somehow and think of the objects as their property.

I can't think of alot of explanations though since they are lower intelligent creatures.

SoulReaver74
19-07-11, 16:39
Now that you mention it, I think I have an idea. Think of the Guardian in TR2. The Guardian obviously for some reason wants to protect the Talion. The Hag in TRC may have similar desires with the Coin wanting to protect it for some reason. Maybe they both became attached to their objects somehow and think of the objects as their property.

I can't think of alot of explanations though since they are lower intelligent creatures.

Great explanation 'Fiamma Nera', i would have to agree that the hag certainly has some connection with the coin, something from it's past possibly, or maybe the changelings where taunting the creature and failed to capture it 'using the coin', and so the sea hag left it near the entrance which leads to the platform controlling the cage mechanism, setting a trap of it's own to entice the changelings into retrieving the coin, due to it's mysterious value. :p

A wild explanation, but sounded good anyway. :D

Delamo1999
19-07-11, 18:36
Great explanation 'Fiamma Nera', i would have to agree that the hag certainly has some connection with the coin, something from it's past possibly, or maybe the changelings where taunting the creature and failed to capture it 'using the coin', and so the sea hag left it near the entrance which leads to the platform controlling the cage mechanism, setting a trap of it's own to entice the changelings into retrieving the coin, due to it's mysterious value. :p

A wild explanation, but sounded good anyway. :D

Sounds good. I wonder why they didn't give Lara any slack later on for doing their work for them. After all it was she who captured the Sea hag so that they could have their dinner. :)

rr_carroll
19-07-11, 18:51
About the Sea Hag & the coin: I recall reading somewhere that the definition of a monster is a creature that collects things for which it has no use, e.g., a dragon hoarding gold or young maidens. Perhaps not directly applying to the Sea Hag, but suggestive. :)

Delamo1999
19-07-11, 19:14
About the Sea Hag & the coin: I recall reading somewhere that the definition of a monster is a creature that collects things for which it has no use, e.g., a dragon hoarding gold or young maidens. Perhaps not directly applying to the Sea Hag, but suggestive. :)

This is an interesting concept. It's also interesting how Lara knew where to toss the coin and that the changelings were trying to trap it.

rr_carroll
19-07-11, 19:16
Sounds good. I wonder why they didn't give Lara any slack later on for doing their work for them. After all it was she who captured the Sea hag so that they could have their dinner. :)
On the usual path, Lara doesn't meet the changelings after that (maybe dinner is why).

peeves
19-07-11, 20:11
I always had thought the changelings ate the sea hag demon. And they probably did.

Delamo1999
19-07-11, 20:19
I always had thought the changelings ate the sea hag demon. And they probably did.

That's right Lara doesn't meet up with the Changlings after she captures the sea hag. I also got the impression that they ate the sea hag too. I mean look at the cage move about after the changlings entered it. It looks like it is trying to break free.