PDA

View Full Version : British People on American Shows

Jami393
10-08-11, 12:54
How come when you see a British person on a show from America they all ways talk in a certain way and have the same accents. I come from England and I know not all of us talk like that and I just think it's annoying. Does anyone agree with me? Also we do talk the same way (sort of) as the American we just pernounce things differently.

Another Lara
10-08-11, 12:56
That's probably because if English people spoke any other way in America, no one would understand a word they're saying! :p

aidanmalone
10-08-11, 12:59
Agreed :)
An American woman works in my local Herons frozen foods and none of the staff can understand what she says half the time :vlol:

toxicraider
10-08-11, 13:00
Do you mean fictional TV characters, or presenters etc.? Cheryl Cole lost her job on American X Factor since nobody could understand her (and I'm surprised if they knew her either). They also had to put subtitles to 'Life on Mars' so they could understand it. :p

As for American TV shows where they use fictional characters, I think they have certain stereotypes about our accents, so find people with those accents (E.G Emily on Friends)

Mikky
10-08-11, 13:02
OMG, YES! Me and my brother always talk about this! Everytime there's a British person on a American show, they always have a posh British accent! I'm screaming at the TV, "THEY DON'T TALK LIKE THAT!!!"

TBH, I've been living here for 12 years now, and I've met maybe 2 people who talks posh. Everyone else sounds pretty normal to me so I don't know where the people who makes these show gets this idea that everyone in the UK is posh. It's really annoying.

/end rant.

Carbon
10-08-11, 13:03
The only thing, ONLY THING that bugs me... is when we go over there (With OUR language) and use English their way (Pants, fries, use Z instead of S etc, etc). But when they come over here they don't adjust to our proper English language and we are expected to know what they are on about?.

Just get's on my nerves...

patriots88888
10-08-11, 13:05
How come when you see a British person on a show from America they all ways talk in a certain way and have the same accents. I come from England and I know not all of us talk like that and I just think it's annoying. Does anyone agree with me? Also we do talk the same way (sort of) as the American we just pernounce things differently.

All ways?... how ironic! I believe you meant always.

Anyways, they have the big 3 to model themselves after... 007, Simon Cowell and of course who could forget Benny Hill! :p

peeves
10-08-11, 13:06
I think some british people were in the US. One of them being simon cowell he was on american idol and he left for x factor.

Another Lara
10-08-11, 13:07
OMG, YES! Me and my brother always talk about this! Everytime there's a British person on a American show, they always have a posh British accent! I'm screaming at the TV, "THEY DON'T TALK LIKE THAT!!!"

TBH, I've been living here for 12 years now, and I've met maybe 2 people who talks posh. Everyone else sounds pretty normal to me so I don't know where the people who makes these show gets this idea that everyone in the UK is posh. It's really annoying.

/end rant.

The writers/producers/ cast people all hang around here in Kensington and Chelsea so it will be all they hear!

Super Badnik
10-08-11, 13:07
American TV seems to love sterotypes.

Carbon
10-08-11, 13:10
Also that stupid dramatic trumpet music...

Jami393
10-08-11, 13:10
The writers/producers/ cast people all hang around here in Kensington and Chelsea so it will be all they hear!

But they have got to think that not all British people talk like that, I for one don't but it does sometimes slip out when I get angry.:D

peeves
10-08-11, 13:12
Certain british people talk differently than others. i even hear some aussies talk with an accent.

Encore
10-08-11, 13:15

American shows/movies depict all foreign countries as stereotypes. It's incredibly frustrating to watch.

Carbon
10-08-11, 13:26
American shows/movies depict all foreign countries as stereotypes. It's incredibly frustrating to watch.

And enemies...

patriots88888
10-08-11, 13:26

Yea well, we get stereotyped too ya know and what makes it worse is we stereotype ourselves. :vlol:

Carbon
10-08-11, 13:29
Yea well, we get stereotyped too ya know and what makes it worse is we stereotype ourselves. :vlol:

How is that even possible?

peeves
10-08-11, 13:29

I see people have different stereotypes everyone has different stereotypes.

patriots88888
10-08-11, 13:30
How is that even possible?

Have you never seen any black comedies? Those would be just one example of such.

Carbon
10-08-11, 13:38
Have you never seen any black comedies? Those would be just one example of such.

Ah right!. That makes sense...

sandygrimm
10-08-11, 13:39
^ what bout NewYorkers :p or are they as they are depicted? :pi: And southerners

TRhalloween
10-08-11, 13:45
Cheryl Cole lost her job on American X Factor since nobody could understand her

They say that but it's highly unlikely.

The posh, eloquent English accent is annoying, and most of the time when you see someone from England on American TV they're from London and when they're from Scotland they give them some sort of mangled, non-existent accent like Groundskeeper Willie. :p

peeves
10-08-11, 13:54
People from the southern US have different accent than people from the northern US.

Dream_Raider
10-08-11, 13:58
Not just English people, the Indians on American television are pretty crap, too. NO ONE talks like Raj from the Big Bang Theory. NO ONE. Except maybe American-Indians./spammishrant

And I kinda wish you people had the awesome accents :p

peeves
10-08-11, 14:00
Not just English people, the Indians on American television are pretty crap, too. NO ONE talks like Raj from the Big Bang Theory. NO ONE. Except maybe American-Indians./spammishrant

And I kinda wish you people had the awesome accents :p

I thought indians are good at stereotypes.

Trigger_happy
10-08-11, 14:46
You mean the fact that everyone is either posh or cockney? Two incredibly small groups in the UK. At times, I believe its actually because some Americans believe British people talk like that- did you not see the fuss caused when the first trailer came out for the new TR? Whilst all the British people agreed she sounded entirely British, and even suggested many areas she came from, many foreign (i.e not from the UK) totally disagreed, saying that since she didn't speak like the Queen, she's not British.

Its refreshing when actors get to speak with their own accents on American telly.

Spong
10-08-11, 14:50

I agree completely. For seven seasons now they've been forcing Hugh Laurie talk with a stupid accent in House.

_Awestruck_
10-08-11, 14:54
^ Do they really force him?

And American TV is full of stereotypes for some reason.

Trigger_happy
10-08-11, 14:57
^ Do they really force him?

Well, yes, because he's playing an American. Which is understandable. What isn't is when all British people playing British people all sound posh.

_Awestruck_
10-08-11, 15:10
That doesn't necessarily mean they're forcing him. He probably auditioned for the role or atleast knew that he'd be playing an American. Hell for years I thought he was American.

Lenochka
10-08-11, 15:11
Well, yes, because he's playing an American. Which is understandable. What isn't is when all British people playing British people all sound posh.

Maybe they want people to actually understand wtf they are saying? lol. I sometimes hear British people speak and wonder if they are even speaking English or any kind of language at all lol. I think over the years this stereotypical 'English' accent that is popular in our media is used because it is the easiest to understand.

Mr Tomb
10-08-11, 15:16
cat deeley is a british host but she works in several tv shows and she's even nominated for an emmy this year :) it's not that hard to undrestand what they're saying :)

Spong
10-08-11, 15:18
Hell for years I thought he was American.

HL went on record to say that he gets sick to death of people in America congratulating him on dropping his English accent :vlol:

_Awestruck_
10-08-11, 15:21
Well, it is really convincing :p.

What stereotype that really annoys me about American TV is Tyler Perry TV shows. If you're American and watch TBS then you probably know what I'm talking about.

toxicraider
10-08-11, 15:49
They say that but it's highly unlikely.

I know, I just felt like stirring the pot with rumours. :D

I also love how fictional enemies are now British a lot of the time. :p

digitizedboy
10-08-11, 16:16
I agree completely. For seven seasons now they've been forcing Hugh Laurie talk with a stupid accent in House.

I always thought he sounded Canadian in that show.

I like Hugh Laurie anyway, whatever accent he tries.

trXD
10-08-11, 16:18
American TV seems to love sterotypes.

Pretty much this, same reason every gay character in American TV is ridiculously stereotypical, its just how they do things.

EmeraldFields
10-08-11, 16:18
That doesn't necessarily mean they're forcing him. He probably auditioned for the role or atleast knew that he'd be playing an American. Hell for years I thought he was American.

OMG Yes! His American accent is perfect. I only found out he was from the UK when I saw him interviewed on Ellen one time. :p

jackles
10-08-11, 16:21
I blame Dick Van dyke and Julie Andrews.

AmericanAssassin
10-08-11, 16:28
To be honest, British accents can be hard to understand sometimes. For example, I often have to rewatch Skins scenes and really really pay attention to what the characters are saying. I thought Cook was speaking a different language on portions of his seasons. :p

Spong
10-08-11, 16:57
I blame Dick Van dyke...

Maury Parperns!
Gotta love the mockney accent :vlol:

moodydog
10-08-11, 16:58
I think its more to do with the fact that accents probably stand out in a crowd with a majority speaking the norm. If everyone talked with an american accent, and someone was for Salford, I think you'd notice. As for poshness, are you sure its not just the character they're portraying? If you watch a reality tv show, where they're not acting... you could probably say the same.

ryan91
10-08-11, 16:58
and the british people have disgusting teeth on american shows. at least they were on the ones I watched :D.

AmericanAssassin
10-08-11, 17:07
and the british people have disgusting teeth on american shows. at least they were on the ones I watched :D.
Judging from all of the British shows I've watched, that's not an untrue stereotype. Lol...JK. :P

Saman
10-08-11, 17:16
I'm confused! What is the those shows name?

Goose
10-08-11, 17:44
Judging from all of the British shows I've watched, that's not an untrue stereotype. Lol...JK. :P

The reason why teeth are different is that Americans have wisdom teeth taken out at a young age, the majority of the rest of the world dont, thats why Europeans seem to have different teeth. So yup its actually not a stereotype, just an American method of treating teeth.

Another Lara
10-08-11, 17:48

The reason why teeth are different is that Americans have wisdom teeth taken out at a young age, the majority of the rest of the world dont, thats why Europeans seem to have different teeth. So yup its actually not a stereotype, just an American method of treating teeth.

I thought it was because the Americans had all their teeth taken out as soon as they appear and replaced by dentures because they can't bare to be seen as having normal natural teeth...

digitizedboy
10-08-11, 17:53
Hang on a minute! If you look at Tom Cruises' earlier roles, you'll see that his teeth aren't exactly perfect. Isn't he an American now? :)

AmericanAssassin
10-08-11, 17:55
(A) I was joking and (B) I still have my wisdom teeth. As do most people I know. :p

Spong
10-08-11, 17:56
I thought it was because the Americans had all their teeth taken out as soon as they appear and replaced by dentures because they can't bare to be seen as having normal natural teeth...

You go girl! :ohn:

sierra xb
10-08-11, 18:00

what? James Bond never had disgusting teeth :) Actually, here is my theory, from an American's point of view...first, we have slightly over 300 million people (compared to the UK's ~65 million) with a very large amount of cultural diversity. If you do not include "foreign" accents, we probably have at least 15-20 unique "american" accents that have developed over the last 300+ years, and many of those accents are difficult to understand even for other americans. Secondly, many of the writers and producers of our movies and tv programs are not exactly the brightest lightbulbs in the box (if you get my meaning), but they DO know that they have to create things that will appeal to the greatest number of viewers possible. Unlike me, many americans are not interested in trying to understand some of the more complicated accents because they'd rather not use any more brain power than necessary while watching something on tv. if you tried to teach them the difference between highland or lowlands scots accents, or between welsh and someone from Cornwall, I think their heads might explode :)

A few years ago, I watched the original version of Mad Max in all of it's Aussie glory, but noticed that the dvd had options for english subtitles and even an american english dub over. I could understand the aussie accents just fine, but a friend of mine thought it was all gibberish, and I practically had to translate the entire movie (because I would not watch the american dubbed version). I guess some people are just better at understanding accents than others.

leglion
10-08-11, 18:03
I thought it was because British people drink a lot of tea and they're not willing to pay for cosmetic dentistry such as teeth whitening and braces. Is that true? Almost everyone i know had braces and gets their teeth whitened. Is it true that It's not as popular in Britain?

larson n natla
10-08-11, 18:04

Well I'm 'British' and I have normal teeth. :(

I don't really notice any change in accents either unless the person lives in America for a while, then they tend to get a twang to their accent.

Trigger_happy
10-08-11, 18:05
Maybe they want people to actually understand wtf they are saying? lol. I sometimes hear British people speak and wonder if they are even speaking English or any kind of language at all lol. I think over the years this stereotypical 'English' accent that is popular in our media is used because it is the easiest to understand.

Yes, some accents, like Summerset and the like are terribly thick, but US TV seems to think that people only understand posh. Even if you don't want a confusing accent, there are more accents in the UK than RP. It gets to the point where people with perfectly understandable normal accents are forced to posh up.

I thought it was because British people drink a lot of tea and they're not willing to pay for cosmetic dentistry such as teeth whitening and braces. Is that true? Almost everyone i know had braces and gets their teeth whitened. Is it true that It's not as popular in Britain?

It is true. having you teeth straightened and whitened, unless for a medical reason, is viewed as being weird and too vain. I think people with perfectly straightened and identical white teeth are scary.

Another Lara
10-08-11, 18:10
It is true. having you teeth straightened and whitened, unless for a medical reason, is viewed as being weird and self-centred (not exactly, I just can;t think of the word). I think people with perfectly straightened and identical white teeth are scary.

lol, I think the word you're looking for is vain! ;)

Trigger_happy
10-08-11, 18:12

That's it exactly! I'm not having a very good brain day today...:o

sierra xb
10-08-11, 18:12
Yes, some accents, like Summerset and the like are terribly thick, but US TV seems to think that people only understand posh. Even if you don't want a confusing accent, there are more accents in the UK than RP. It gets to the point where people with perfectly understandable normal accents are forced to posh up.

well my great-grandfater was from Liverpool, so maybe that is why I don't have much of a problem understanding the accents. I personally would love to hear alot more variety with English accents, but with the way american tv is nowdays, I doubt that will ever happen...wonder if I can get BBC over here? ;) Right now, I will just have to settle with trying to find all the Canadians on our programs :P

leglion
10-08-11, 18:14

Vain is almost literally a compliment where I'm at. :p I'm vain and I'm not afraid to admit it. I can admire myself in the mirror 4 hours in one session. #Don't judge :whi:

larson n natla
10-08-11, 18:14

... Seriously?

That's a stereotype we don't all sit around sipping tea and having scones, I never ever drink tea and hardly ever coffee but at the same time I don't want my teeth whitened. It looks scary, fake and overall damages your teeth? Plus it fades. :p

jackles
10-08-11, 18:25
Virtually every child in the UK who needs braces gets them free. Dentist care is free up until you are 16.

This ridiculous teeth thing started during WW2 when an impoverished populace with no nhs did have poor teeth..very much like everyone in the world. That steretype nowadays is cobblers.

SoupCard
10-08-11, 18:38
Meh. Who cares?

The Canadian stereotype on American TV never bothers me, I find it amusing. It's not like we're walking around saying "Eh" all the time, or living in igloos, so why should I care?

sierra xb
10-08-11, 18:44
Meh. Who cares?

The Canadian stereotype on American TV never bothers me, I find it amusing. It's not like we're walking around saying "Eh" all the time, or living in igloos, so why should I care?

Actually, since it seems like many of our more popular programs are produced in Canada, I was talking about real Canadians, not americans trying to fake being canadian..besides, it was a joke :)

toxicraider
10-08-11, 18:45

It's true that black tea stains teeth, but the same can be said of coffee, I think.
As for braces, a lot of teenagers get them here, for free if they're under 16.

I also saw an American online insisting that everybody in the UK is blond(e), blue eyed, and extremely pale. I might fit the voice stereotype slightly, but that one I don't.

SoupCard
10-08-11, 18:46
Actually, since it seems like many of our more popular programs are produced in Canada, I was talking about real Canadians, not americans trying to fake being canadian..besides, it was a joke :)

Oh, my comment wasn't directed at you. I hadn't even read the page before this one, sorry about that.

Spong
10-08-11, 18:49

What is it with the whole American/Canadian thing? I never understood that. How did it start? Are American's just bitter or jealous or something?

sierra xb
10-08-11, 18:49
Oh, my comment wasn't directed at you. I hadn't even read the page before this one, sorry about that.

no worries...:)

leglion
10-08-11, 18:52
What is it with the whole American/Canadian thing? I never understood that. How did it start? Are American's just bitter or jealous or something?

Nah. No one truly believes it. It's like the 'gingers have no souls' urban legend. No one believes it but they act like they do for fun.

OriginalTRman
10-08-11, 18:53
:confused:

just*raidin*tomb
10-08-11, 18:54
Interesting.

I don't know. I think its silly. People tend to stereotype accents but they are varied and diverse in each region of a country. I guess its just easier to give them the stereotypical accent as some people from America are not aware of the different accents there, just as some people in the UK are not aware of the different sort of accents here in America.

I don't think its a big deal. It's a matter of it being easier to read. So to speak.

OriginalTRman
10-08-11, 18:54
Also that stupid dramatic trumpet music...

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHMMMM!!:ton:

SoupCard
10-08-11, 18:57

I don't know, America just insults Canada a lot I guess. General remarks I get from them over xbox live are things like our army sucks, we're a bunch of peace seeking hippies, we're "America's Hat" (since we sit on top of them), and all we do is take from America but don't provide them anything in return.

Most of which is true to some degree though I suppose.

I don't usually see Canadian TV insult America, though Canadians often refer to them as fat, always eating at McDonalds, etc. The usual comments.

I have nothing against Americans though, or any country for that matter.

AmericanAssassin
10-08-11, 18:58
Bitter or jealous? LMFAO! No... To be honest -- as bad as this may sound -- most Americans I know couldn't care less about Canada's existence. If they weren't around, I wouldn't notice. Not going to lie. Sorry if that sounds rude. It's not meant to. I just tend to forget Canadians exist.

leglion
10-08-11, 19:00
Bitter or jealous? LMFAO! No... To be honest -- as bad as this may sound -- most Americans I know couldn't care less about Canada's existence. If they weren't around, I wouldn't notice. Not going to lie. Sorry if that sounds rude. It's not meant to. I just tend to forget Canadians exist.

True. :\ It's like Australia. I keep thinking to my self "What are you guys doing up there all by yourselves?" It just seems so dead.

sierra xb
10-08-11, 19:01

You should watch HGTV more often...:P

just*raidin*tomb
10-08-11, 19:10
I don't know, America just insults Canada a lot I guess. General remarks I get from them over xbox live are things like our army sucks, we're a bunch of peace seeking hippies, we're "America's Hat" (since we sit on top of them), and all we do is take from America but don't provide them anything in return.

Most of which is true to some degree though I suppose.

I don't usually see Canadian TV insult America, though Canadians often refer to them as fat, always eating at McDonalds, etc. The usual comments.

I have nothing against Americans though, or any country for that matter.

What American TV programs is an not an accurate representation of Americans. I'm american and I hardly ever watch TV. I just think most of is stupid. I would like to think that most of us have the common since not to believe everything we hear on TV, but some people are just assholes.

But I'm sure other countries do the same thing. A good example would be the fat fast food joke. Lol yes, everyone in America eats at McDonald's all day errday. Of course!

To be honest I freaking love Canada. It seems like a really chill place and don't you have like free health care? Yes I'm jealous. :p
I do tend to forget Canada exists too... its weird. But I think that's kind of a good thing.

moodydog
11-08-11, 12:03
PAMfCG6nn1w

I'd argue that's about accurate to british society

about is it...

ZdjRufF7qpw

U377n4cf0i4

This is probably a bit more accurate :p

peeves
11-08-11, 12:12

I never forget about canadians and their accent.

jaywalker
11-08-11, 13:44
... Seriously?

That's a stereotype we don't all sit around sipping tea and having scones, I never ever drink tea and hardly ever coffee but at the same time I don't want my teeth whitened. It looks scary, fake and overall damages your teeth? Plus it fades. :p

erm.. i do lol.. i live for tea, and scones *drool* everytime we go to a national trust or english heritage site we HAVE to partake in the ritual of `cream tea` (2 scones, clotted cream and jam and a pot of tea)..

thing is if there WASN'T this thing about americans thinking we have weird teeth, the canadians making all the good US tv shows, and the americans thinking the canadians said `eh` after every sentence then we wouldnt have comedy anymore, and the world would end!.. :)

peeves
11-08-11, 13:48
I didn't know brits were involved in making american TV shows.

WillG
11-08-11, 14:04
Also, they always refer to British people as English when British is English, Scottish and Welsh :pi:

Trigger_happy
11-08-11, 14:07
Also, they always refer to British people as English when British is English, Scottish and Welsh :pi:

Don't forget Northern Ireland! I'm sure every time that happens, a Scotsman somewhere is filled with an inexplicable rage. I feel a little sad that the only exposure America has to the Welsh is the terrible thing that is Torchwood. Poor them.

WillG
11-08-11, 14:10
Don't forget Northern Ireland! I'm sure every time that happens, a Scotsman somewhere is filled with an inexplicable rage. I feel a little sad that the only exposure America has to the Welsh is the terrible thing that is Torchwood. Poor them.

I couldn't forget Northern Ireland! I'm from there! But it's just I meant Britian as in the Island of Britain

jaywalker
11-08-11, 14:14
I didn't know brits were involved in making american TV shows.

The girl in Fraser was the highest paid actress on telly, shes english.. Jane Leeves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Leeves)

Weemanply109
11-08-11, 15:22

I'm glad that happens. I prefer to be classed as 'Scottish' not 'British'

knightgames
11-08-11, 17:31

I've tried to watch Trainspotting a couple of times. The accents in the movie are so thick that I couldn't be bothered to suss out what they were saying. I'd imagine there would be quite a group of people who would feel the same way regarding accents that are hare to understand.

Why can't you all talk like John Cleese? :ton:

knightgames
11-08-11, 17:32
The girl in Fraser was the highest paid actress on telly, shes english.. Jane Leeves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Leeves)

I liked her better in the Benny Hill Show. :D

toxicraider
11-08-11, 17:50
I'm glad that happens. I prefer to be classed as 'Scottish' not 'British'

He means calling everyone from Britain, including Scottish and Welsh people, English. I doubt you like when that happens. :D

sierra xb
11-08-11, 18:06
He means calling everyone from Britain, including Scottish and Welsh people, English. I doubt you like when that happens. :D

lol, fortunately here is one american who isn't likely to make that mistake...part of my family comes from Wales, and another part from Scotland, so prefer not to lump them all under one name.

jackles
11-08-11, 18:34

And Tracey Ullman was big in America.

Mind you, all we usually see are Brits playing the baddies. (exception being Daniel Craig as Bond....oh and Christian Bale as Batman.....;) )

LaraDuh
11-08-11, 23:51
And Tracey Ullman was big in America.

Mind you, all we usually see are Brits playing the baddies. (exception being Daniel Craig as Bond....oh and Christian Bale as Batman.....;) )

i noticed that too.

Weemanply109
12-08-11, 17:31

My bad, yeah that is not good :p

peeves
12-08-11, 17:41
My bad, yeah that is not good :p

That wouldn't be appropriate IMO to call everyone from the united kingdom english.

robm_2007
12-08-11, 21:00
They are prolly all like Maximum_123, and fake their accents :pi:

Weemanply109
12-08-11, 21:02
That wouldn't be appropriate IMO to call everyone from the united kingdom english.

Exactly, hence my last post. :p

innocentvenus
12-08-11, 23:57
If it makes you all feel better our TV stereotypes anything it gets it's hands on. We can't even handle having different accents in our own country. All those with southern accents are hicks and those with the New England accent must be all backwards fishermen or something like that.

Did you guys ever notice that when we want to portray a character as really intelligent or grandmotherly, they always have this quasi British accent?

Goose
13-08-11, 06:11
(A) I was joking and (B) I still have my wisdom teeth. As do most people I know. :p

Abit off topic but heres why.

Its not mandatory, especially as you dont have NHS i assume only those with money/ insurance to spend would do it. But its advised that the majority of people do it, and its easiest when young. Wisdom teeth are not needed these days and can cause alot of trouble. But it might not be in vogue:

In America some estimate 20% of all young people with otherwise healthy teeth develop impacted wisdom teeth requiring medical attention, yet in the past some estimate nine out of ten American teenagers who have dental insurance lost their wisdom teeth.27 One report concluded the cost of this operation may exceed that of most routine medical or dental procedures.28

Many dentists once routinely advised extraction of all wisdom teeth, regardless of whether they were causing problems—some even routinely removed wisdom teeth during adolescence if it only appeared that they might later become impacted29,30 McGuire even once advised, ‘in most cases’ wisdom teeth should be pulled (emphasis mine).31
Tulloch, J.F., Antczak, A. and Wilkes, J., 1987. The application of decision analysis to evaluate the need for extraction of asymptomatic third molars.

28. Journal of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, 5:855–863.

Chug a Bug
14-08-11, 02:00

Well Bond was created by an Englishman... and the movies were never made in Hollywood but at Pinewood in England. Christian Bale plays an american, with an american accent....

I think americans are very insular, culturally speaking, they're hardly aware of other cultures at all and if they are it's only through stereotypes. I remember on a visit to the US a woman when she found out I was English was astonished and couldn't stop trying to talk to me, I'd only just stepped of the plane from blightly that morning but as far as she was concerned I might as well have arrived on a spaceship from Mars. Whereas in a visit to the Tower of London not so long ago I seemed to be the only english person there I heard every language and accent imaginable...

Miharu
14-08-11, 02:38
It is kinda of annoying but the Americans (and this is based on stereotypes) can't understand any other British accent, aside from the typical posh Brit accent.

So yeah...it's sad that UK slang or "common" words isn't well known in the US, where as over here the US slang is absolutely everywhere and I'm not talking about: "dis kind of slang innit?" I'm talking about simple words like "telly."

sierra xb
14-08-11, 04:56
It is kinda of annoying but the Americans (and this is based on stereotypes) can't understand any other British accent, aside from the typical posh Brit accent.

So yeah...it's sad that UK slang or "common" words isn't well known in the US, where as over here the US slang is absolutely everywhere and I'm not talking about: "dis kind of slang innit?" I'm talking about simple words like "telly."

well that may have something to do with the fact that a majority of movies and many of the tv programs are made here in the US, so our slang gets much better world exposure than language from other places (like the UK). We just don't get alot of imports here, and our primary exposure to Brittish tv is BBC America or Monte Python.

I think the reason why many americans have difficulty understanding the non-posh accents is because they have no exposure to them. Mostly all we hear is posh and sometimes a little bit of cockney, so anything new takes too much effort to figure out and they will just change the channel.

I personally enjoy hearing the other accents...and the more difficult the better. I also make a point to try to learn slang from other countries because it is fun to use them, and I think it is rediculous that we expect that everyone has to adapt to our way of doing things.

Horus-Goddess
14-08-11, 05:35
I'm pretty certain I've heard different accents before and not just posh. Popular mainstream TV shows will have those stereotypical accents yes, but not all shows.

Honestly I wish more had that variety as I love learning about other cultures/accents/slang/languages or what have you. But I guess people here don't like to think when they watch TV haha. I don't know. It's simply laziness. Of course our media stereotypes people in our own country as it is. Don't see why they'd change for the outside.

And like sierra said, the most we really get in imports is BBC America. :/ I did used to watch some Korean and Japanese dramas now and then. But most of that has to be found online somewhere. So the same would most likely have to be said about UK shows.

Which like I said, unless you're actually interested in these things, you probably would never go looking for them or finding them. The average American probably doesn't go out of their way.

sierra xb
14-08-11, 05:45
Honestly I wish more had that variety as I love learning about other cultures/accents/slang/languages or what have you. But I guess people here don't like to think when they watch TV haha. I don't know. It's simply laziness. Of course our media stereotypes people in our own country as it is. Don't see why they'd change for the outside.

And like sierra said, the most we really get in imports is BBC America. :/ I did used to watch some Korean and Japanese dramas now and then. But most of that has to be found online somewhere. So the same would most likely have to be said about UK shows.

Which like I said, unless you're actually interested in these things, you probably would never go looking for them or finding them. The average American probably doesn't go out of their way.

Exactly. One time I heard someone say "TV is bubblegum for the mind", and that seems very true :) Television doesn't really challenge your brain, unless you like watching game shows.

I would love to get access to some Aussie tv programs. I love that accent and can listen to it all day :)

Trigger_happy
14-08-11, 13:11
I think the reason why many americans have difficulty understanding the non-posh accents is because they have no exposure to them. Mostly all we hear is posh and sometimes a little bit of cockney, so anything new takes too much effort to figure out and they will just change the channel.

But that's almost entirely down to American telly. Like none of the shows on BBC America have characters speaking in RP (posh) or cockney, yet those are the only two accents you here in US television. There are so many BBC shows that I'm sure made it to America who have no posh cast members- Life on Mars (Manchester accents), Doctor Who (so many accents), The Inbetweeners etc. A few American programmes even have accents that aren't posh or cockney: Fraiser, with the bizarrely accented Daphne and quite a bit of the cast of Lost.

So really its a choice of American telly, not an issue about exposure.

sierra xb
14-08-11, 17:27
But that's almost entirely down to American telly. Like none of the shows on BBC America have characters speaking in RP (posh) or cockney, yet those are the only two accents you here in US television. There are so many BBC shows that I'm sure made it to America who have no posh cast members- Life on Mars (Manchester accents), Doctor Who (so many accents), The Inbetweeners etc. A few American programmes even have accents that aren't posh or cockney: Fraiser, with the bizarrely accented Daphne and quite a bit of the cast of Lost.

So really its a choice of American telly, not an issue about exposure.

well how many americans even KNOW that we get BBC america here? In all honesty, I think it is more influence in movies rather than tv, With those programs you mentioned, I doubt nearly any american could tell those accents apart from eachother.

jackles
14-08-11, 17:30
I would love to get access to some Aussie tv programs. I love that accent and can listen to it all day :)

*thinks fondly of Prisoner Cell Block H* ahhhh how I used to enjoy that late on a friday night. :D

innocentvenus
14-08-11, 23:01
well how many americans even KNOW that we get BBC america here?

I wouldn't think that many. I know I didn't get it until I got satellite TV and before hand I had to import everything from BBC I wanted to watch. It was ridiculous.

Spong
14-08-11, 23:05
This thread makes me want to edit and post a clip from an episode of Top Gear, to show that us Brits have just as much trouble understanding people in America sometimes.

sierra xb
15-08-11, 05:14
This thread makes me want to edit and post a clip from an episode of Top Gear, to show that us Brits have just as much trouble understanding people in America sometimes.

I don't blame you...I'm from the US and even I can't understand some of our accents here :) Try listening to a Cajun...I was like "what the...?" :confused:

Horus-Goddess
15-08-11, 06:00
^ LOL so true, sierra. I'm sure a lot of folks from the UK wouldn't be able to understand some of our accents. Most probably haven't even heard some of them, just like most American's probably haven't heard all UK accents.

I have heard quite a lot of different Brit accents but I really couldn't tell you where any one of them is from lol. I probably could if I did a bit of research on such a thing.

Also, I loved the original Dr. Who (at least I think it is the original... looked to be from the 70s?). Also a Sherlock Holmes series I remember watching when I was young.

just*raidin*tomb
15-08-11, 08:23
PAMfCG6nn1w

I'd argue that's about accurate to british society

So I'm pretty much dying at how funny that was.
:vlol:

But seriously, no one really thinks british people are like that... its just for ****s and giggles.

peeves
15-08-11, 12:44
I wouldn't think that many. I know I didn't get it until I got satellite TV and before hand I had to import everything from BBC I wanted to watch. It was ridiculous.

I don't get BBC America. I never even heard of that.

Spong
15-08-11, 15:41
26hOn4KYjyA

Say what? :confused:
Clarkson's face at the very end is priceless :vlol: