PDA

View Full Version : Texas Turns Urine into Drinking Water

Catracoth
11-08-11, 15:58
http://ecocentric.blogs.time.com/2011/08/10/breaking-the-taboo-on-toilet-to-tap/

I was just watching CNN and they were covering this story.
I am utterly disgusted.

Chocola teapot
11-08-11, 16:01
^ You'd soon change your mind during a drought.

Zelda master
11-08-11, 16:02
Ever wondered where the water from your tap comes from..?

Catracoth
11-08-11, 16:03
^ You'd soon change your mind during a drought.

I can assure you, I wouldn't.

kooky
These people have got to be crazy, do they know how many dangerous chemicals & microbes there can be in urine?! It contains urea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea) (N (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen)H (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen)2)2C (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon)O (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen) which can be a toxic biological substance if it ingested in large amounts. What has ever happened to common sense seriously? This is why I drink bottled water over tap water.

Quasimodo
I thought city water has always been comprised of treated waste water? I just try not to think about it.

Spong
11-08-11, 16:04
Ever wondered where the water from your tap comes from..?

Exactly. I don't see how this story is something new :confused:
Sewage water is treated, processed & cleaned, then pumped straight back into the system. It's always been that way AFAIK.

MiCkiZ88
11-08-11, 16:05
^ Usually the sewage water is pumped back to the lake, stream or sea and your water comes from any of the following sources: Lake, river or underground stream *which is naturally filtered*
Though I do think some cities pump the filtered sewage water back in to the system.

Eh, you're already drinking God knows what from your tap or bottle. It's just a faster way of recycling the water. Or would you rather go Bear Grylls and drink your pee fresh? :p

I didn't bother reading the article, but I suppose you're not going to drink someone else's pee straight from the bottle.

DgoOdz94
11-08-11, 16:07
I thought city water has always been comprised of treated waste water? I just try not to think about it.
This. Isn't tap water technically treated water? (which I doubt is any different from this)

But it's still a bit disgusting... DX

Spong
11-08-11, 16:07
...Or would you rather go Bear Grylls and drink your pee fresh? :p

Mmmm...warm & salty :p

Apparently :pi:

moodydog
11-08-11, 16:09
http://ecocentric.blogs.time.com/2011/08/10/breaking-the-taboo-on-toilet-to-tap/

I was just watching CNN and they were covering this story.
I am utterly disgusted.

Peoples urine can be infected with diseases...

_Awestruck_
11-08-11, 16:09
Bottled Water>>>

MiCkiZ88
11-08-11, 16:11
Bottled Water>>>
This really makes me wonder, how many cities in the US have poor tap water? The tap water here is just as good as buying bottled water. I'm not certain where the water here comes from, but I've heard most of it is naturally filtered. In my home town back in Finland the tap water came from a spring.

TRhalloween
11-08-11, 16:12
Going through a really bad drought.
Better drink my own piss.

Spong
11-08-11, 16:13
Going through a really bad drought.
Better drink my own piss.

Won't be long before the recession causes that, not just a drought.

Lara Coft Baby
11-08-11, 16:21
Okay Ew... I am seriously grossed out. Im from texas, not sure I want to drink the water any more lol

Sgt BOMBULOUS
11-08-11, 16:21
In some areas of TX we haven't gotten more than 3" of rain ALL YEAR. Pretty easy to sit there and talk smack about this eh? And to those talking about bottled water, most of it isn't any better than city water.

Spong
11-08-11, 16:27
*Googles 'talk smack'*

I learn something new every day.

Chocola teapot
11-08-11, 16:31
^ I consider you both to be each other's regional counterpart.

Bombulous is the Spong of America.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
11-08-11, 16:33
^ I consider you both to be each other's regional counterpart.

Bombulous is the Spong of America.

I like this...

RoxasKennedy
11-08-11, 16:40
How come there's no Waterworld jokes? :tea:
But seriously, I'm impressed and disgusted at the same time.

Zelda master
11-08-11, 16:41
This really makes me wonder, how many cities in the US have poor tap water? The tap water here is just as good as buying bottled water. I'm not certain where the water here comes from, but I've heard most of it is naturally filtered. In my home town back in Finland the tap water came from a spring.

Not sure about The Hageu, but the Dunes here in Noord-Holland filters the water naturally.

peeves
11-08-11, 16:43
This is wrong because urine is bad if you drink it people shouldn't be drinking urine because it has toxins in it. what's wrong with these people?

Zelda master
11-08-11, 16:44
Did you even read it..? They will threat it, it will be cleaned, purified and everything...

Apathetic
11-08-11, 16:47
It's still.. piss.

Zelda master
11-08-11, 16:48
And the water that's comming out of your tap most likely was also someone's piss... Your point..?

toxicraider
11-08-11, 16:52
I'm pretty sure every drop of water I've ever drunk has been in thousands of different animals before me. If they clean it well then I see no problem.

Amiyo
11-08-11, 17:17
I'm pretty sure every drop of water I've ever drunk has been in thousands of different animals before me. If they clean it well then I see no problem.
This!

I'm sure the water is cleaned well, and there won't be any harmful bacteria left. Otherwise it wouldn't be distributed to homes as drinking water. Wasn't there some discussion about a similar system considering Australia, too?

knightgames
11-08-11, 17:19
Tastes like Gatorade.

tomekkobialka
11-08-11, 17:19
These people have got to be crazy, do they know how many dangerous chemicals & microbes there can be in urine?! It contains urea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea) (N (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen)H (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen)2)2C (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon)O (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen) which can be a toxic biological substance if it ingested in large amounts. What has ever happened to common sense seriously? This is why I drink bottled water over tap water.

;) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfPAjUvvnIc)

^click on the smiley

robbie_rawr
11-08-11, 17:20
Fish pee in lakes yet we drink water from them in posh bottles. :p

lara c. fan
11-08-11, 17:22
Fish pee in lakes yet we drink water from them in posh bottles. :p

And they take a dump in those lakes.

larson n natla
11-08-11, 17:24
The water cycle survives using recycling. I see no problem with this, nor did I think the process new.

tomekkobialka
11-08-11, 17:27
The water cycle survives using recycling. I see no problem with this, nor did I think the process new.

EXACTLY! Some people think that the water we drink comes from some 'clean' source, well...there is always a constant amount of water on planet Earth!

Sgt BOMBULOUS
11-08-11, 17:31
;) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfPAjUvvnIc)

^click on the smiley

I didn't know you could hyperlink smilies! Awesome!

And they take a dump in those lakes.

And so do I. All of the lakes...

Killercowz
11-08-11, 17:34
Well they're ready to bust a Bear Grylls.

At least they're resourceful. :pi:

knightgames
11-08-11, 17:55
As we say in Boston: Wicked Pissah!

larafan25
11-08-11, 18:05
We're drinking dinosaur piss already.

Rai
11-08-11, 18:19
It seems disgusting at first, but it's all purified,s o how is it different from what comes out of our taps already. It's not as if we're being told to catch our own pee in a cup and drink it.

We should be grateful that we have this purifying resources.

lara c. fan
11-08-11, 18:20
And so do I. All of the lakes...

Well, there you go. America's water is full of filtered Craig-****.

Dark Lugia 2
11-08-11, 18:24
Think about how this could help people! :)

Isnt tap water in some areas erm... 'recycled' anyway? Anyway, its clean in the end and thats all that matters.

jackles
11-08-11, 18:26

yes thats what they have done for ages. :confused:

Archetype
11-08-11, 18:30
Sounds delicious, can't wait to refill my glass.

Killercowz
11-08-11, 18:34
Sounds delicious, can't wait to refill my glass.

:vlol:

Dennis's Mom
11-08-11, 18:35
I used to be a project assistant for a wastewater engineering firm in Denver. I don't see anything particularly shocking here.

tomee
11-08-11, 18:44
*drinks a glass of tap water*

But srsly. If it's purified etc, then I see no problem with it. Here where I live bottled water is no better anyway. Some brand was actually be proven to be only bottled tap water.

sheepman23
11-08-11, 18:58
Oh God... that disgusts me. I don't even care how much they clean it, that's just unsettling. :(

MangelinaJolie
11-08-11, 19:01
I live in Texas. At least it's thunder-storming right now. :p

Either way, I'm not surprised.

toxicraider
11-08-11, 19:03
Oh God... that disgusts me. I don't even care how much they clean it, that's just unsettling. :(

Lol, why? Presumably you know that all water we drink was urine and worse at some point, so what's the issue? It was either urine a year ago, or a week ago, it makes no difference. Yes, the principle of water having passed through another person or animal can be unappealing, but pure water is pure water; the molecules don't pick up anything, they are always the same.

sheepman23
11-08-11, 19:06
Lol, why? Presumably you know that all water we drink was urine and worse at some point, so what's the issue? It was either urine a year ago, or a week ago, it makes no difference. Yes, the principle of water having passed through another person or animal can be unappealing, but pure water is pure water; the molecules don't pick up anything, they are always the same.

I know that it's pure and clean... I just still can't get over the fact that it was once urine. Just my opinion. ;)

Gracious Days
11-08-11, 19:23
I don't have any issue with this, and I live in Texas as well. Like the article said, the plant they're building to treat the wastewater is essentially doing nature's filtering job when water's put through wetlands. It's clean and safe so...bottoms up. :p

Desperate times call for desperate measures; I can't even remember the last rain shower I saw.

Avalon SARL
11-08-11, 20:01
it's science, it is chemistry and biology. There is nothing wrong with this. I'd actually say congrats:)

JACOBryanBURNS
11-08-11, 20:12
Doesn't bother me if they're treating it. Or maybe I'm just a big ol' piss monger. :wve:

larafan25
11-08-11, 20:31
So, there's always the same amount of water in the Earth's....system-ness-place.

lance6439
11-08-11, 20:32
LMAO that's nasty.

trlestew
11-08-11, 21:34
Something similar is being done to your everyday tap water, nothing to worry about. ;)

TRfan23
11-08-11, 22:10
If you think this is awful, think about how people yonks ago coped with the water they had to drink ;)

This is a normal modern day process :)

:}hello friend
11-08-11, 22:35
That drought is pretty bad.

Poke Warrior
11-08-11, 22:36
Mmmmmmm..... o.0

cbragg09
11-08-11, 22:44
i bet in the new tomb raider game lara would be desperate enough to drink her own pee if it meant surviving

this story isnt new to me considering they do this in a lot of places. texas is just having a drought so its probably just new to them

Weemanply109
11-08-11, 23:16
I am not bothered about this. tbh, Sounded nasty at first but I never knew that texas was in trouble or anything.

Ikas90
11-08-11, 23:37
Everyone's fine with drinking deer and fish piss, so why not human piss?

TheGermanLlama
11-08-11, 23:45
Probably because of the thought we're drinking our own piss.

Oh, Texas. You never cease to weird me out. XD

Ora Dagger
11-08-11, 23:46
Well when worse comes to worse, I guess you'll have no option.

Sir Croft
11-08-11, 23:52
Bear Grylls is surelly jumping in excitement over this.

TRLegendLuver
12-08-11, 01:21
Texas is in a major drought right now. The worst in the country at the moment and my area has suffered almost the worst of all. It doesn't surprise me that they would do this, well it does, but doesn't at the same time. Good thing my water comes from a well, which is from a deep down underground river. :)

Dark Lugia 2
12-08-11, 01:26
Bear Grylls is surelly jumping in excitement over this.

:vlol:

!Lara Croft!
12-08-11, 01:49
Texas is in a major drought right now. The worst in the country at the moment and my area has suffered almost the worst of all. It doesn't surprise me that they would do this, well it does, but doesn't at the same time. Good thing my water comes from a well, which is from a deep down underground river. :)

And guess where the water that fills that river comes from...

There is the same amount of water on the planet now as there was billions of years ago.

tomblover
12-08-11, 01:57
Bear Grylls is surelly jumping in excitement over this. My God. :vlol:

Camera Obscura
12-08-11, 02:57
Meh, if it looks clean and tastes clean, then by God, give me a glass because I'm thirsty as hell.

knightgames
12-08-11, 03:59
Well with evaporation and rainfall, I'm sure we've all been.... um........ showered. On humid days we're breathing it in?

Prince had the wrong color when he entitled his 1984 hit, "Purple Rain."

Catracoth
12-08-11, 05:43
This is wrong because urine is bad if you drink it people shouldn't be drinking urine because it has toxins in it. what's wrong with these people?

These people have got to be crazy, do they know how many dangerous chemicals & microbes there can be in urine?!

Here's an idea: read the damn article.

scoopy_loopy
12-08-11, 06:00
... So? This almost happened in my old town, the quality of water would have actually been improved for it. But alas, too many old people complained.

Apathetic
12-08-11, 06:01
... So? This almost happened in my old town, the quality of water would have actually been improved for it. But alas, too many old people complained.

What does that have to do with anything?

maximum_123
12-08-11, 06:17
Is this really a new thing? Like people said before, I swear waste water was always recycled...

Catracoth
12-08-11, 06:21
Is this really a new thing?

It's new to me.

scoopy_loopy
12-08-11, 07:29
What does that have to do with anything?

Old people complained, thus, the plans didn't get enough popular support to be implemented.

Johnnay
12-08-11, 07:30
and Australias water is better than this

:D

sandygrimm
12-08-11, 07:30
If they would of turned into BBQ sauce, that would of been a national holiday! :pi:

But yeah nothing new really, they discovered filtration of sewer water, so urine guess it was in the same pacakge.

michaeldt
12-08-11, 07:33
I dont see why people are disgusted? they're obviously filtering all of the things out of it that aren't meant to be drunk. And also, Urine is the cleanest liquid in the world....

FloTheMachine
12-08-11, 09:01
This thread is just discussing animals taking pisses and dumps in rivers. :vlol:

But no seriously, them saying, 'We will treat urine to make drinking water.' Is what they had always done. Just called it waste water. :)

TheGermanLlama
12-08-11, 11:39
My God. :vlol:

I agree. Maybe he'll move to Texas after this. :p

Sgt BOMBULOUS
12-08-11, 12:03
And guess where the water that fills that river comes from...

There is the same amount of water on the planet now as there was billions of years ago.

And before that it was trapped in comets. I can just see it now... "YUCK!!! Comet water, that's gross!!"